Hints and tips by a sunburnt Miffypops

BD’s Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Phew. What a scorcher. It’s 25 degrees already as recorded by The Heart of Downtown L. I. Weather Station. Long may it continue. As for today’s puzzle. Phew. What a scorcher. Rufus gives us thirty two clues today which contain enough stretchers to give RayT a run for his money.  Twelve of these clues have answers containing only four letters, one of these will be a totally new word for most of you.

These hints and tips are from the mind of Miffypops. There may be slight errors. He is only human after all. The answers are hidden under the greyed-out boxes that say click here.

Please leave a comment telling us what you thought.

1a    Academic agitatedly cautioned a pupil (11)
EDUCATIONAL:  Anagram (agitated) of CAUTIONED plus the letter A from the clue and our usual-suspect abbreviation for a pupil or L(earner)

9a    Price of progress is not bad, we hear (4)
FARE:   The price paid for a journey is also a homophone (we hear) of a word meaning not bad. The price of our last train journey from Liskeard to Looe was not bad at £4.30 for the return trip. Our next return journey from Glasgow to Mallaig is also quite reasonable at £30 each.

10a    USS Washington? (7,4)
CAPITAL SHIP:  An example of what Washington is to America (as London is to England) followed by the word indicated by the second S in SS. This hint might give you the answer but I am perplexed by the term USS in the clue. [The answer is defined as one being the largest and most heavily armoured class in a fleet, like the USS Washington.  BD]

11a    Lied about being out of work (4)
IDLE:   Anagram (about) of LIED

14a    Part that can’t be matched? (7)
ODDMENT:  A cryptic definition of what my online dictionary defines as ‘an item or piece of something, typically one left over from a larger piece or set.’ Why such a thing cannot be matched is a mystery to me.

16a    Learner of French taken in by showy performance (7)
STUDENT:  Place the French word meaning of inside a showy performance such as an action displaying spectacular skill and daring.

17a    Unexpected advance, getting girl’s name? (5)
SALLY:   A double definition. The girls name being a variant of Sarah. “You very nearly got ***** ***** Pride of our Alley” but I prefer this Cat Stevens composition about a sweet girl called Nellie. I hope you like it.

18a    A singular performance (4)
SOLO:  This singular performance is performed alone. Best avoided by guitarists. Oh what the likes of Eric Clapton have made us suffer through the years.

19a    Outright order for a European banker (4)
ODER:   Remove the first letter R (out right) from the word ORDER. This leaves the name of a river or banker (flowing between the banks)

20a    Change may be converted later (5)
ALTER:  Anagram (converted) of LATER

22a    Reveal model bodies? That’s about right (7)
DISROBE:  A cheeky little clue which is an anagram (model) of BODIES placed around (about) the abbreviation for the word RIGHT

23a    Excused duty? (3-4)
TAX FREE:  Nirvana for some. To be exempt from contributing to the central treasury for the common good of all

24a    Part of an instrument that naturally grows wet (4)
REED:  A double definition of a tall grass like plant which favours wetlands or thin strip of cane that gives Clarinets and Oboes their characteristic sound. Apparently the area around Jean-Luc Cheval’s town is the foremost producer of these.

28a    Nap sack? (8,3)
SLEEPING BAG:  A cryptic definition of what one sleeps in when camping. (Or lies on in this weather)

29a    Lift facility that’s for the better (4)
TOTE:  A double definition. The first being simply to lift and the second being a betting system at the races

30a    Such action, possibly violent, is not offensive (4-7)
SELF-DEFENCE: The action of protecting one’s body against attack.

2d    Kent port trade (4)
DEAL:  A double definition. The clue says it all. The port in Kent has a time ball.

3d    One in jail — he killed his brother (4)
CAIN:  The bibles first of many murderers can be found out by putting the letter that looks like the number one inside a slang term for a prison

4d    Nature’s resorts — they supply brewed drinks on tap (3,4)
TEA URNS:  Anagram (resorts) of NATURES

5d    Expel some notorious truants (4)
OUST:  A lurker. The word some tells us so. Hidden away within the words of the clue playing hide and seek with you

6d    We can do with it (7)
ABILITY:  A cryptic definition of a noun meaning possession of the means or skill to do something.

7d    Team captains who know the score (11)
BANDLEADERS:  The score is musical. This is a cryptic definition of those such as Glen Miller, Louis Armstrong and Billy Cotton

8d    Same again? (6,5)
REPEAT ORDER:   A cryptic definition of a salesman’s dream. A second purchase unchanged from the first. Or what we might receive in the pub when we say “Same again please” to the bar staff.  Some of my customers will look up and call for “A tray of assorted please”

12d    Kind of desecration that’s seen around (11)
CONSIDERATE: Anagram (that’s seen around) of DESECRATION

13d    Rises will secure unemployment benefit for youngsters (11)
ADOLESCENTS:   Place a four letter slang term for unemployment benefit inside  (will secure) a word meaning rises. Mountain rises perhaps. The local kids who were released from local schools gathered en masse (numbers vary) in our local park on Friday night to drink too much and make a lot of noise (decibel levels vary) We even had policemen (numbers vary) in our village. Apparently there were a lot of cans and bottles (amounts vary) left behind. All some or none of the bottles were broken. Nobody died.

15d    Furniture catalogue (5)
TABLE:  A piece of furniture is also a catalogue or list

16d    Shelter in street for wet weather (5)
SLEET:  Place a word meaning shelter or the sheltered side inside (in) the abbreviated form of the word street which coincidentally the answer rhymes with

20d    Free from sailor’s love in entanglement (7)
ABSOLVE:  Begin with the abbreviated form of Able Bodied seamen. Add an S because the sailors are possesive. Now add an anagram (in entanglement) of LOVE

21d    I’m great playing jazz (7)
RAGTIME:  Anagram (playing) of I’M GREAT

25d    Quiet little imp making filthy lucre (4)
Online version. Quiet little chap making filthy lucre
PELF:  This is a new word to me and what a strange little word it is. It is simple and easy and is adaptable to the needs of setters. I am surprised that I have not seen in many times before. Anyway we need to begin with the musical notation indicator for quiet and add a little fellow. “Which little fellow”? I hear you ask. It’s one of those little fellows who might be written about by Enid Blyton or her understudy Tolkien.

26d    Though socially acceptable in time it gives one the shivers! (4)
AGUE:  This chestnut can be found by placing our usual suspect for socially acceptable inside a word within a period of time. The usual suspects can be found under the drop down box at the top of this page entitled Cryptic Crosswords

27d    Toiletry obtained from capital chemists (4)
TALC:  Another lurker indicated by the words obtained from. The toiletry is rank. Who remembers Californian Poppy?

We have nothing to do and all day to do it in. I hope you are enjoying the same situation.

Quickie Pun MIST+RUST=MISTRUST

Posted June 19, 2017 at 11:13 am | Permalink | Reply

2*/4*. Light and fun as we normally expect from a Monday puzzle plus a strange new word in 25d.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP, as well as to BD for explaining 10a.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 11:22 am | Permalink | Reply

I will thank BD too. Thanks BD.

• neveracrossword
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

All ships in the US navy are prefixed with USS, presumably short for United States Ship (akin to HMS here). Whilst there may be a USS Washington in the American navy, will there ever be a USS Trump?

Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Perish the thought! Now see what you’ve done, got me banned from the blog in perpetuity.

• LabradorsruleOK
          Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

If there were it would be wind powered no doubt.🤔

Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

That is really, really funny!

Posted June 19, 2017 at 7:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

:smile:

2. RayS
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 11:43 am | Permalink | Reply

Fairly tranquil start to the week. */***. 25d was a new word for me and lots of you I suspect. 29 degrees here in blue sky Maidstone. Maybe 7d was just my favourite today.

3. Bluebird
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 11:57 am | Permalink | Reply

I’d never heard of 10a, although nothing else would fit.
    Neither could I get 8d for no good reason.

Otherwise, it was a fun solve, with some misleading clue words.
    I liked 23 and 28a and, well, many others.

Off to sow some salad leaves………
    Thx to MP and BD for explaining stuff.
    Don’t forget the sax and bassoon – other lovely reedy instruments.

• Brian
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

Neither had Mrs B, I have lent her Blacks The British Seaborne Empire but I have no great expectations!

4. PLR
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

I thought this would be a R&W after galloping through the first few but though it was a short ride I could only finish it at a brisk trot. All very pleasant on a hot Monday morning

5. Paso Doble
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

We agree with Rabbit Dave. Good light-hearted fun to kick the week off.
    We had to google 25d to make sure it was a proper word and many
    thanks to Rufus for an enjoyable puzzle and to a sunburnt Miffypops
    for his always entertaining blog.
    It’s just hit 32 degrees here in London and Paso has to go to Rome, Naples and
    Turin later in the week where the temperatures should be 1 or 2 degrees cooler!

• ShropshireLad
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:08 pm | Permalink | Reply

How is the modelling world these days? :)

6. Senf
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

*/*** – completed at a gallop with no major problems, by Rufus standards a below average anagram count (I think).

25d is an interesting word – I worked it out from the word play and the checkers, followed by a BRB check (but the on-line version also had ‘imp’ when I accessed it).

Having served HM, I also ‘got’ 10a easily.

Candidates for favourite – 24a, 30a, and 13d – and the winner is 13d.

Thanks to Rufus and MP.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

The quiet little chap appears in The Telegraph Subscriptions version. The one where we don’t get The Toughie

• Senf
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks MP. As I subscribe to the both (newspaper and puzzle) sites, I get the puzzle site even when I access it from the newspaper site.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

All fairly straightforward today which is just as well as it’s far too hot to do too much concentrating.
    Quite a lot of anagrams but I like them – I mixed up the anagram indicator and definition in 12d but that didn’t last long.
    I’m not sure if I’ve met 25d before – it didn’t feel entirely new but it’s certainly not a word that gets used every day.
    10a had to be what it was but I’ve never heard of it – it is in the BRB.
    I liked 28 and 30a and 21d. My favourite was 6d.
    With thanks to Rufus and to MP.

• Senf
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:44 pm | Permalink | Reply

Same for me on 12d – but doesn’t that make it a good clue?

Posted June 19, 2017 at 7:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, I think so – cryptic crosswords are all about misdirection.

8. neveracrossword
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

A gentle start to the week. Favourite was 19a. Thanks to Rufus and a sunburnt Miffypops.

9. sabrinastar
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 12:43 pm | Permalink | Reply

Re your comments on 18a. Some of us were in Kingston in the frozen Thames winter of 62/63, dancing
    to a local group on Friday nights. One of the guitarists kept getting onto the front of the stage, and all the
    blokes would stop dancing and listen to him.
    Us girls were not too pleased……………..

Posted June 19, 2017 at 1:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Rolling Stones?

• Venator
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 5:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Miffypops,

Re 18a & guitar solos.

You can’t knock the spots off the artists’ best group though!

Thanks for your review as always.

10. silvanus
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

As the late Caroline Aherne would say, it’s certainly “scorchio” outside again, but finding a nice shady spot in the garden with a cold drink and a Rufus puzzle in prospect, the heat was briefly forgotten.

Another lovely Monday treat, with a new phrase in 10a and a new word in 25d. As MP says, it’s surprising 25d is not seen more often, I can only assume its usage is now considered old-fashioned by other setters. My repetition radar noticed “right” used twice to indicate “r”, but as one is an addition and one is a subtraction, I think they probably cancel each other out!

My top three, in solving order, were 4d, 19a and 13d.

Many thanks to Rufus and to our Long Itchington correspondent. Good musical choices!

11. jane
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 1:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Relieved to learn that I wasn’t alone in being unfamiliar with both 10a & 25d!
    Much to enjoy in our Monday puzzle – podium places going to 19,23&28a along with 7&13d.

Thanks to Rufus for the fun and to the sunburnt publican for the blog. Laughed at the pic for 28a but doubt that either of the Mr. Stevens would be flattered by your attribution of 17a!
    Goodness – Billy Cotton – my Mum was a real fan of his show, particularly when it included an appearance by Russ Conway.

• Senf
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 2:14 pm | Permalink | Reply

At least the Stevens part is correct, but I think the first name should be George.

• jane
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 2:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

Indeed – George Alexander, I believe. Think it’s MP’s deliberate mistake of the day – he likes to make certain that we’re all paying close attention to his reviews!

Posted June 19, 2017 at 9:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not Cat then? I am surprised

• Hoofityoudonkey
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 5:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

My dad went to school with Bill Cotton jnr who ended up head of light entertainment at the BBC. Bill Cotton snr was a frequent visitor at sports day etc, and dad used to say what a kind, generous man he was.
      WAKEY WAKE!!

12. Gwizz
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 2:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Even with the filthy lucre clue this was a kind and gentle solve for a very hot day!
    6d was my favourite and overall 1.5/3.5*.
    Thanks to Rufus, and to the weatherman of L.I. For his review.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 2:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A belter of a puzzle from Rufus to start the week. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a puzzle with so many all-in-ones and double definitions. A delight to solve, a new word in 25d which I got from the wordplay, and thought, surely not. Favourite was 4d, which I suddenly realised was an anagram. Last in was 30a. Too hot to move in central London, and I’m playing squash later. Was 2*/4* for me.

• Dutch
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

No all-in-ones, but some cryptic definitions. An all in one is where the whole clue is wordplay, and the whole clue is also the definition. A cryptic definition has two potential readings of the clue, hopefully with the more obscure one leading to the answer, but there is no wordplay.

Sorry if I’m being pedantic!

Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

I am glad you know the difference Dutch. I just wing it on Mondays.

• Dutch
          Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

You wing it well

• ShropshireLad
            Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wasn’t that a song by Rod Stewart? ‘You wear it well’. :)

14. ShropshireLad
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, it is Monday and most definitely a puzzle from my Ironbridge neighbour. The anagram count was low (I thought) and there were a couple of clues that stretched the synonym level but – it was fun whilst it lasted. Being ex RN, 10a is well known amongst matelot circles but I can’t say that I’ve ever come across 25d before and I’ve being doing crosswords for some time. The SW corner was the last to fall as I couldn’t ‘remnant’ out of my head for 14a so that made it almost impossible to see the answers to 12 & 13d.

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle and to the sunburnt MP for his review.

As an aside, if you reported sick in the RN with ‘sunburn’ it was a chargeable offence as it was considered to be a self inflicted injury. :cool:

• Dutch
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

Glad I’m not the only one unfamiliar with 25d. It was one of those brb look-ups where you went ‘bloody hell, it IS a word’

15. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes 25a a new word for me too. Took longer than it should but some good clues and very enjoyable. Sticky & hot here, Biggles not overly enthusiastic to move from the coldest floorspace he could find.
    No real stand-outs though.
    Thanks to Rufus & MP. Take it you “booked early” (like 1954) for you train trips.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 5:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

The Liskeard trip was spur of the moment. The Scottish trip will be part of our annual trip to see friends on Loch Awe. Saint Sharon is in charge of booking all things except concert tickets.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Godson’s parents live in Achanalt, not far from Loch Awe.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 7:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh dear – poor Biggles – I think it must be really tough being a hairy dog in hot weather.
      Annie hated it – I used to take her to Port Meadow to swim in the river but when at home she ‘lurked’ in our hall which has a stone floor.

16. florence
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

I managed 10a ok, but not 7d. I put in ‘bandmasters’ so had no end of trouble in the NE corner. I blame the heat. Many thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:26 pm | Permalink | Reply

This one was one of the easiest solves for me, quite restored my confidence after finding yesterday’s so difficult.
    I knew 25d, it occurs quite often in Shakespeare.
    I can’t choose a fave, so much to like, maybe a toss up between 6d and 19a.
    Thanks to Rufus and to M’pops for his usual fun review.
    We’re in the midst of a nascent hurricane, so lots of rain and temperatures lower than yours!

Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:35 pm | Permalink | Reply

Bit of a puzzle of two halves for me, the top was a R&W but some of the bottom clues I found a bit tricky,
    Very enjoyable even with the new word.
    Thx to all

• Brian
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 3:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

BTW Thx to CS for trying to sort out my last remaining clue of yesterday’s puzzle but Mrs B and I found the hint more perplexing than the clue. Will have to wait for the answers.

• Sussex Trev
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 4:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

Got held up by 7 down. In my defense ’tis not a term you hear these days. My Collins crossword solver hasn’t heard of it. It’s not old enough to have remembered Sunday lunch and the cry “Wakey! Wakey!’
        Thanks to all for your hints over the years.

• Gazza
          Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome to the blog, Sussex Trev.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hello and welcome from me Sussex Trev

Posted June 19, 2017 at 7:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Welcome from me too but ‘defense’ – are you an American? If so you’re forgiven.

19. Hoofityoudonkey
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 4:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

As ever with a Rufus Monday this is utterly beyond me. I sailed through yesterday’s Virgilius puzzle, as they are clues I can get my head round, today is a different story.
    I will enjoy going through MP’S hints, luckily the Monday online prize puzzle comes out so I can do that.
    Thanks MP and Rufus

• Dutch
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

I think Rufus may be a bit of an acquired taste – I’m liking him more and more. He does seem to specialise in double definitions and subtle cryptic definitions

• ShropshireLad
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 9:49 pm | Permalink | Reply

He is a progenitor of the art of cryptic clueing IMHO – I prefer him in this mode without too many anagrams. I wonder if he’s ever done a themed puzzle – based on his RN service and the aircraft he flew? There’s a question :)

20. Amy Field
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 5:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable – and yes fancy remembering Californian Poppy …. back to my marking!!… So lovely to share fun and insights in this way Greatly appreciated.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 7:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Californian poppies are Eschscholzia to me, not talc!

21. sunny_h
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 5:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thank you for the hints and tips. As always much appreciated. In our household the crossword has prompted a discussion on the size of elves. As fairies they are known as the little people but as all Tolkinians know they are far from little.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

So what is the size range of elves? Warwickshire Elves are Common but tiny. They are great shots with a bow and poisoned arrow. Should you be hit you will suffer from Elfshot which is very unpleasant.

• silvanus
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

…..and then presumably you’d be forced to seek treatment from the National Elf Service?! :-)

22. Young Salopian
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 5:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

By this time of day it has pretty much all been said. A solid puzzle for a scorching hot Monday, and 2*/4* for me. Many thanks all round.

23. stanXYZ
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

I know that timings are verboten on this site, but I always wonder how long it takes Rufus to compile his crosswords.

My favourite today was in the Guardian Rufus 14d – What a clever man!!

He makes it all look so easy!

• Dutch
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

He’s fast- I’ve heard stories of 40 a week, but I find that incredibly hard to imagine.
      You might like to read the roger squires Wikipedia entry

24. Tonto McTavish
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Remnant at 14a completely scuppered me, thanks to all.

• Dutch
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Remnant?

• Tonto McTavish
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:33 pm | Permalink | Reply

I know!

• Dutch
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

;)

• Tonto McTavish
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:28 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi Dutch-seems i’m not alone with my stupidity.

• ShropshireLad
      Posted June 19, 2017 at 9:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

As I had said earlier – ‘remnant’ was an answer that I couldn’t get out of my head for 14a :(

• Tonto McTavish
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:15 pm | Permalink | Reply

Hi, SL,- sorry missed your earlier comment. TMcT.

25. Dutch
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Many thanks miffypops for an excellent review except that I like Clapton.

In particular, thanks for explaining 8d and 29a which I’d missed.

I find I appreciate the Rufus flavour of crosswords more and more. There’s a lovely one in the guardian today as well.

Many thanks Rufus

Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t dislike Clapton musically but he does go on a bit. Always has done. I was there at The Birmingham Odeon in 1976 when he made his very racist speech. I have never paid to see him since though he has turned up as a guest at odd concerts. Not welcome in my pub and certainly not at my dinner table

• Dutch
        Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Racist speech? That’s complete news to me – oh dear – are you sure? I just looked it up – eek. No excuse. Does he still think this? Music is multi-cultural…

Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t know what he thought but it disgusted me. The worst concert I have ever attended. Clapton was drunk. The rant didn’t go down well. There are several variants on the web but it was every bit as bad as it is made out to be. As I said I have never paid for anything to do with Clapton since

• Dutch
            Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Don’t blame you – I’m horrified. A while ago, though…

Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:34 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good for you, M’pops. Now, if we all did that, I think the message would get across. Alas, we’re having our share over here.

• Tonto McTavish
            Posted June 19, 2017 at 9:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

As we’re on pop music, can anyone remember who left Level42 and joined New Kids on the Block?

Posted June 19, 2017 at 9:09 pm | Permalink | Reply

No. I did see Level on a Jim Turrell freebie (don’t ask) at The NEC.

• ShropshireLad
              Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

I would just like to know – what happened to ‘Middle of the Road’. Now, there was a cracking group :cool:

• Tonto McTavish
                Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:41 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not Ray Charles?

• ShropshireLad
                  Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:52 pm | Permalink | Reply

Possibly not – my group of the 70’s was Nazareth. Just listen to the voice of Dan Macafferty on ‘Love Hurts’

• Tonto McTavish
                    Posted June 19, 2017 at 11:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

These people are single handedly responsible for destroying our planet with the amount of hairspray necessary for that video

• jane
                    Posted June 20, 2017 at 12:34 am | Permalink | Reply

Good grief – and there was me thinking that MP had cornered the market in perfectly good music being ruined by dreadful singing………

Posted June 20, 2017 at 12:45 am | Permalink

I don’t like it when other people post clips in the comments on my blogs Jane. I worry that I may be found guilty by association. Anyway none of the singing is dreadful. You just have a problem with musical appreciation. I fear it is too late for remedial correction. Today’s puzzle did lend itself rather well to musical clippery. Often it is just hard to sort.

• Posted June 20, 2017 at 9:00 am | Permalink | Reply

There is only one definitive version of Love Hurts:

• jane
                      Posted June 20, 2017 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Sorry to disagree, BD, but I think the original by the Everly Brothers is still the best.
                      Think it’s the harmonising that appeals to me.

Posted June 20, 2017 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Jim Capaldi

• Tonto McTavish
                  Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ps .Don’t you come back.

26. Owdman
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thoroughly enjoyed this Monday offering and completed it after some thought about 25 down. Really liked some of the clues, particularly 10 and 19 across. Done, while sat in the sun smoking a Romeo and Juliet cigar, both finished at the same time. :)

Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes , a scorcher here too .The weather forecast people take the city temperature at the windy airport in the shade so the actual temperature we experience is much higher than the record.I’d say it was at least 28 degrees celsius .If this is global warming , I’ll have more .
    And the puzzle was very good too. 25d was new to me too .
    Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

28. mcmillibar
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Late to this one because I was playing catch-up tackling yesterday’s V. Liked it – an nice easy one-star which was r&w apart from the clues mentioned which were easy enough to unravel. P*****g down here in Miami.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:38 pm | Permalink | Reply

My pool is overflowing here in Miami Springs. There’s an almost-hurricane brewing out there, so expect more rain on and off. I can’t complain about the rain, we had such an awful drought in the winter.

29. Graham Wall
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 6:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not a bad start to the week, enjoyment of this puzzle was enhanced by the good weather and a glass of Guinness. My rating is 1.5/4 Where I was unsure there were sufficient check letters to make things manageable. 25D is new to me I must admit. I got the right answer by obeying basic crossword solving rules – p = quiet etc My thanks to Miffypops for the A1 grade blog.

30. Angellov
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 7:21 pm | Permalink | Reply

How nice to kick off the week with this pleasant exercise – thank you Rufus for that and MP particularly for memories of Wakey Wakey, Russ Conway, etc. Top of my bill today were 19a and 29a.

31. Jon_S
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

Edging into *** territory for me. I blame the excessive heat. 19ac was exactly the sort of clue I didn’t expect to see from Rufus. If it wasn’t for his trademark cryptic definitions that, and the very obscure 25d would have convinced me that this was a different, though equally good setter altogether.

Posted June 19, 2017 at 8:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

1.5*/3*. 7d made me smile – nicely unexpected. Thanks to Rufus and MP.

Can we have some proper English weather back, please?

33. Tstrummer
    Posted June 19, 2017 at 10:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

After a day of doing nothing but sweat, I found this slightly more taxing than a regular Rufus, but I’ve noticed that happening more frequently lately. Fine puzzle though, greatly appreciated, as was the MP review. I’ll keep out of the guitar solos/EC strand. 2*/3*

34. JB
    Posted June 20, 2017 at 10:24 pm | Permalink | Reply

Another complete solve for us – still pretty rare but a huge improvement on when we started almost a year ago.

Had “well” for 29a which blocked a couple of others but finally corrected it.

Posted June 21, 2017 at 6:54 am | Permalink | Reply

Welcome to the blog

Looking at your email address, I think you will have to change your alias as we already have a commenter who goes under the name JB and she appears to be a lady with a different surname to yours!