Hints and tips by Kath

BD Rating — Difficulty **Enjoyment ***/****

Hello everyone. This is definitely a Ray T Thursday – a few of his trademarks are missing but I’m sure that it’s one of his crosswords. Cheer up to those of you who find them tricky because it’s very much at the easier end of his range of difficulty.

In the hints the definitions are underlined and the answers are hidden under the bits that say ANSWER so only do that if you want to see them.

Please leave a comment telling us how you got on today.

1a            Free nude in arrest, surprisingly (12)
UNRESTRAINED — An anagram (surprisingly) of NUDE IN ARREST

8a            Amused lass in grass (7)
REGALED — A lass, or a dialect form of girl, is inside (in) a kind of grass that’s so useful to crossword setters.

9a            Extract offspring vocally expressing triumph (7)
SUCCEED — Here we have two homophones (vocally expressing) – the first is a verb which means extract or absorb and the second is a synonym for offspring or descendants.

11a         Illicit boozer‘s brilliance hiding empty bottle (7)
SHEBEEN — Another word for brilliance or lustre goes around the first and last letters (empty) of B(ottl)E.

12a         Petty and oddly vain during rehearsal (7)
TRIVIAL — A rehearsal or a practice contains (during) the first and third letters (oddly) of vain.

13a         Reportedly composes ceremonies (5)
RITES — A homophone (reportedly) of composes or puts down on paper.

14a         Painkiller that could produce endlessly calm easing (9)
ANALGESIC — An anagram (could produce) of CAL(m) (endlessly) and EASING.

16a         Representation from Left facing abuse, some say (9)
PORTRAYAL — The nautical term for left is followed by a homophone (some say) of a verb to abuse or rant.

19a         Discretion accepting one’s understood (5)
TACIT — Discretion or diplomacy contains (accepting) the letter that looks like a one.

21a         Criminal in trouble, say, famous gangster (7)
ILLEGAL — Another word for trouble or ail is followed by the two letter abbreviation for ‘say’ and then the first name of crosswordland’s favourite American gangster.

23a         Goes off eating ends of edible dishes (7)
TUREENS — A verb that means ‘goes off’, often used to describe milk that looks a bit lumpy when you put it in coffee, contains (eating) the first and last letters (ends of) E(dibl)E.

24a         Fat cat, exhausted, getting collared (7)
NOBBLED — This ‘fat cat’ isn’t an overfed moggy it’s an overpaid idle person and it’s followed by another word meaning exhausted or drained.

25a         Record, single, needs volume for example (7)
EPITOME — An old kind of vinyl record, then the letter that looks like a one, or single, and a volume or very large book.

26a         Musician‘s recital isn’t ruined by tenor initially (12)
CLARINETTIST — An anagram (ruined) of RECITAL ISN’T and then the first letter (initially) of T(enor).

1d            A French bloke eats high-class cream (7)
UNGUENT — The French word for A is followed by a bloke or a chap which contains the one letter used to mean high-class or posh.

2d            Posh car carrying Queen giving waves (7)
ROLLERS — Oh – posh, again! A large flashy and very expensive (posh) car contains (carrying) the usual two letters for our Queen.

3d            Still in garden in sun before day’s end (9)
SEDENTARY — The garden where Adam and Eve supposedly got up to a load of no good goes inside (in) a word for which the sun (from the clue) is just an example – follow that lot with the last letter (end) of (da)Y.

4d            Others without beginning of idea take test again (5)
RESIT — A word meaning others or the remainder goes around (without or outside) the first letter (beginning) of I(dea).

5d            ‘Chin-chin’ — gently swallows going slowly (7)
INCHING — Our first lurker, indicated by swallows – the answer is hiding in the first three words of the clue.

6d            See mine blowing up foes (7)
ENEMIES — An anagram (blowing up) of SEE MINE.

7d            Copier prints erratically — instruction needed (12)
PRESCRIPTION — An anagram (erratically) of COPIER PRINTS.

10d         Dines with a select spread from here? (12)
DELICATESSEN – A bit like buses, here’s another anagram (spread) of DINES and A SELECT

15d         Garden is completely excessive, with chaps digging in (9)
ALLOTMENT — Begin with a synonym of completely or totally and follow that with three initials that mean excessive or far too much which contains (digging in) some chaps or blokes.

17d         Give new name for party in spin (7)
RELABEL — The abbreviation of one of the three main political parties is contained in a verb to spin or wheel.

18d         Pull up in back, as frequent pub-goer (7)
REGULAR — A reversal (up) of a short word that means pull or drag goes inside back or stern.

19d         Minister: ‘Ministry includes transport depots’ (7)
TERMINI — Our second lurker (includes) – the answer is in the middle of the first two words of the clue.

20d         Revolutionary radical’s cigar (7)
CHEROOT — The first name of a South American revolutionary is followed by radical or primary.

22d         Weighed down and left a hole (5)
LADEN —L(eft) and the A from the clue are followed by a hole or a lair.

I liked 8 and 11a and 7 and 15d. My favourite was 3d.

The Quickie pun:- TREAT + HOPS = TREE TOPS

1. bifield
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Obviously on the right wavelength today. Very straightforward for a Ray T puzzle. Really enjoyed this one. Thanks to Ray T and to Kath for her review.

2. JonP
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Definitely RayT in a benign mood but still plenty to enjoy.

Thanks to Kath and RayT */****

3. Ora Meringue
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:03 am | Permalink

I cannot believe that I am first to comment….but I appear to be!

Finished this one unaided, which is very unusual for me, so hurrah!

Needed help with the parsings of most of the SW corner, so many thanks to Kath and to the setter.

Frabjous day! I solved a RayT!

• Ora Meringue
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Oh well, I was first when I started to type.

• Miffypops
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Blooming well done!! RayT is a tricky blighter to unravel but a joy when you crack his wondrous ways. I hope you rewarded yourself.

• Ora Meringue
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Have not yet rewarded myself, unless you count a cup of coffee, but a rather nice New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc is quietly waiting for me in the fridge…and it’s almost Friday.

• 2Kiwis
          Posted February 9, 2017 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

An excellent choice for the celebration. :good:

• mcmillibar
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

No longer ‘wrang’. Today you are Ora Correct! Well done.

4. Senf
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:17 am | Permalink

*/**** – straightforward and very enjoyable, completed at a fast gallop with reference to both Chambers only. Needed the BRB to verify 11a and 26a. To me 26a, as spelt, has one too many ‘Ts’ but the BRB has both spellings.

Joint favourites 11a and 3d, both good charades.

It took me some time to get the parsing of 16a, then the penny dropped on the homophone element.

Thanks to Ray T and Kath.

• Vince
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Re 16a. Is “rayal” really a homophone of “rail”? The first has two syllables, the second having only one!

• Senf
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Perhaps, the better question is whether ‘rayal’ is a ‘real’ word or not (with apologies to the village in Nepal, the company that makes ‘luxury’ accessories, and anyone that has it as a surname – the results of a Google search)?

5. Senf
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Joint favourites 11a and 3d, both good charades.

Thanks to Ray T and Kath.

6. Miffypops
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Oh dear. Five long and obvious anagrams made this a bit of a fill in the lights between the checkers. Still enjoyable though. Ta to all. Waitrose in Kenilworth have opened a Sushi counter. Hello Waitrose. Goodbye cash.

Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Two good anagrams in 10d and 26a.
    25a is my favourite .
    Thanks to Ray T and Kath.

8. Angellov
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Nicely testing if not a barrowload of laughs. Overlooked the garden in 3d but it had to be. None to call a Fav. Thanks RayT for the work-out and Kath for being there with hints in case of need.

Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:24 am | Permalink

1*/4*. I agree with the comments so far that this was at the easier end of Ray T’s range, but it was a joy to solve from start to finish. The only hard part is picking a favourite, so I’ll just say they pretty much all come into consideration.

Many thanks to Ray T and Kath.

10. Jose
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Further to recent comments, I like to report that “liquid” as an anagram indicator has, in my own personal experience, been around since at least the 1980s. Back then, there were nowhere near as many such indicators in regular use and liquid became one of my favourites – I certainly didn’t “invent” it and must have pinched from somewhere (I remember using in twice in the same puzzle on one occasion). Here’s a few of my efforts from the mid 80s, the last time I did any (decidedly amateur) setting (and no laughing, please!):

1. Liquid limes are most paltry (8).
    2. Liquidised peas can provide snacks (7).
    3. Liquid slake causes large patches of water (5).
    4. Solids are, when liquid, put outside to dry (9).
    5. Fruit produced from liquidised slime (5).
    6. Full from liquidised dates (5).
    7. Liquidised fares are for salt (8).

• Miffypops
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

You are a candidate for Rookie Corner Jose

• Angellov
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed your liquidising but just wonder whether 8a clue should be “more paltry”?

• Jose
        Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:49 am | Permalink

A. Yes, most is a typo. For some reason I had measliest in my mind.

• silvanus
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Much as I like anagrams, when only one letter of the fodder has to change position (as in 3 and 5 for example) it’s best to try a different clue construction to be honest!

• Jose
        Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:04 am | Permalink

S. Yes, you and Angellov are correct of course (most was a typo). I did only post those old clues to give some mildly interesting historical information on the subject of liquid as an indicator, but mainly to provide some amusement on here – with hindsight, even I think they are generally a bit naff. I can do considerably better now, but still won’t be giving up my day job.

11. pete
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Agree with everyone else, a straight forward enjoyable puzzle, definitely on the easy side for Ray T. No real favourites but non I disliked either. 2*/3.5* Many thanks to Ray T and to Kath.

12. jane
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Certainly Mr. T on the soft pedal and I thought it was rather peppered with elements of old chestnuts. Not to worry, his puzzles are always good entertainment.
    Thought 26a looked rather odd with the extra ‘T’ so did check on that one.

My top three were 8&11a plus 3d.

Devotions to Mr T and thanks to Kath for the review – that 3d pic raises all manner of questions. I can’t imagine anywhere in the world where one could leave an upholstered sofa outside permanently – perhaps it was house-moving day?

• Senf
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 11:57 am | Permalink

But the sofa is out in the sun (from the clue) and that colour is unlikely to fade from the effect of the UV rays from the same.

• Jose
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Is it Alexander Armstrong on that outdoor sofa?

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Jane, I think you’ll find that the one T version is the American spelling! But I’ll forgive you … :wink:

• Jane
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Hi RD – I bow to your superior knowledge, despite the fact that my BRB doesn’t note it as such. However, much as I love the vagaries of our beautiful language, as we spell the instrument with one T I cannot understand why it was deemed necessary to add another one for name of the player of same. Any ideas?

• Gazza
          Posted February 9, 2017 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Other words follow the same pattern. Someone fighting a duel is a duellist here but, apparently, a duelist in the USA.

• Jane
            Posted February 9, 2017 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

I knew you’d have another example – thank you, Gazza.

• Rabbit Dave
              Posted February 9, 2017 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

If Gazza was an American would he be called Gaza?

• dutch
                Posted February 9, 2017 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

if Gazza were…?

• Rabbit Dave
                  Posted February 9, 2017 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Absolutely right, Dutch. If I were to say it was a deliberate mistake would you believe me?

Posted February 9, 2017 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

I did wonder if it was in a garden near Oxford ;)

• Jane
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

My initial thought as well, but the garden wall didn’t look quite right for the location I had in mind!

Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Me too – maybe Annie in the pic as well?

Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Obviously we’re wrong, see Mr. Kitty’s link above! But it does look like Annie.

13. RayS
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Agree with all the comments about this being at the easy end of the spectrum. I didn’t like RAYAL too much, but all enjoyable none the less. 1*/4* for me. I liked 3d and 24a.

14. Gwizz
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Yep! Have to agree with the ‘easier than usual’ comments. Still fun to do though and for me 1d is probably favourite simply cos it’s not a word that is used that often.
    2/3* overall.
    Thanks to Ray T and to Kath for her excellent review.

15. spindrift
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Once the 4 long anagrams were solved this was pretty easy for a Ray T (imho).

I prefer the more challenging puzzles that we are used to from the maestro but hey-ho it’s thanks to he & to Kath.

Now to book a taxi for me & Mrs S to take us to the Cote Brasserie in West Bridgford to spend the vouchers given to us as a Christmas present by the offspring.

• Orphan Annie
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Have a splendid evening. By the way where is the scene on your Gravatar?

• spindrift
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

I would like to say that it’s from my extensive collection of amazing photographs but it’s actually a bog standard download from the interweb thingy.

16. stanXYZ
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

16a – I hate to rail on about the homophone … but RayT does say “some say” … so others may pronounce it differently.

17. Woolgatherer
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

He always seems to have the knack of stretching the definitions to the point of almost (but never quite) breaking. Many thanks to Ray T and to Kath for her review.

18. BusyLizzie
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

I always struggle with Ray T’s puzzles, and today was no different, even if was a milder one of his. The 4 12 letter anagrams helped, but I still had to resort to,the hints much too early. Thanks Kath, obviously not my wavelength thing, and appreciate your help today.

Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

A pleasant solve from top to bottom without any interruption.
    Definitely on the easier side of RayT.
    But still good fun.
    Thanks to RayT and to Kath.
    I also thought the picture was from a certain Oxford garden, specially with the collie.

20. Mr Kitty
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

It appears that I struggled today more than most, but I got there in the end. Lots of smiles along the way, with 9a being the standout favourite. I just had to email that clue to Kitty.

Thanks to RayT for the fun and to Kath for the entertaining blog. I do like the look of all that cheese in the 10d picture.

21. Vancouverbc
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Very entertaining if over far too quickly. Generous long anagrams at the edges always gets me off to a fast start. Long time since I came across 11a but it was somewhere in the depths of my mind. 19d was a really nice lurker. Thanks to Kath for the review and Ray T for the fun.

Posted February 9, 2017 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Well, well, well, I fairly coasted through this. Am I getting on wavelength, or was it really much easier than his usual fare?
    The answer to 11a will be very familiar to anyone who has read any of “The Irish RM” books, a good read. I think that there was also a TV series, many moons ago.
    Fave was 11a, but 1d comes second, if only for the way it flows off the tongue.
    Thanks to RayT, and to Kath for her entertaining review.

23. ian short
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tips, they helped a lot

• Posted February 9, 2017 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Ian

Posted February 9, 2017 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too – please keep commenting.

24. silvanus
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Definitely at the easier end of the RayT spectrum, and probably more enjoyable for being so.

Good fun to solve, I ticked 2d and 7d as my joint favourites.

Thanks to Mr. Terrell and to Kath.

25. LetterboxRoy
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

No probs, 14a gets the gong. Re 16a: ‘port + rail’ would work as a quickie pun so fair do’s in my book.
    Thanks to Mr T and to Kath

26. Robin
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Does anyone else think that the musician in the photo for 26a looks familiar? It’s surely Alf Garnett, aka Warren Mitchell. His obituaries mention that he played the clarinet. When he appeared on Desert Island Discs in 1967, two of his choices were Mozart’s Clarinet Quintet and Benny Goodman’s Running Wild.

Posted February 9, 2017 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I just went back to where I found the pic – it is apparently someone called Giora Feidman and the photo was taken in Tel Aviv almost a year ago – I do see what you mean although it hadn’t occurred to me until you pointed it out.

• Robin
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Kath, I’ve had a look at other online pictures of Feidman, a well-known Israeli clarinettist and klezmer player, and his resemblance to Warren Mitchell is striking, even the Alf Garnett moustache! I wonder if they ever met?

• dutch
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

They were never seen in the same room

• Tstrummer
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:41 am | Permalink

Despite the brilliant efforts of Anthony Sher at Stratford last year, Warren Mitchell is still the best Willy Loman I’ve ever seen.

• Posted February 10, 2017 at 10:11 am | Permalink

I loved Dustin Hoffman’s performance in a made-for-TV movie:

Posted February 9, 2017 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Good fun that all went together without major hold-ups. Word count checked and found to be in order.
    Thanks RayT and Cath.

Posted February 9, 2017 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I’m not a ‘C’, I’m a ‘K’. :sad:

• 2Kiwis
        Posted February 9, 2017 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

Sorry Kath. How did my finger do that!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted February 9, 2017 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

Henceforth we will have to call you the 2Ciwis. :wink:

28. Longers
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Loved it – don’t think I’ve thanked you lately Big Dave, hence the post. My current enjoyment of crosswords is entirely down to your incredible site and brilliant contributors. I have my favourites but it would be unfair to single anyone out. I now get great satisfaction from the ever increasing “electronic assistance free” solve which at one time would be only a fantasy. Thanks in this instance to Kath for the hints and a special thanks to RayT whose crosswords I once feared but now enjoy immensely. I’m in the camp that thinks all of the Setters are geniuses and I am often shocked at the content of some of the posts on this site hence my reluctance to post regularly myself. I’m lurking!

Posted February 9, 2017 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

That’s a very nice comment – what about stopping lurking and becoming a regular commenter?

• Tstrummer
      Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:53 am | Permalink

I’ve only once read a “shocking” post on this site and the miscreant was swiftly dealt with by BD. I’m in the camp that says if you’ve paid your money you’re entitled to an opinion – and much of the occasional criticism of individual clues is fair and often informative comment from the pedants’ corner leading to a fun heated debate. Setters are never attacked per se – and nor should they be.

29. RayT
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Evening all. Many thanks to Kath for the review and to all who left a comment.

RayT

• Jane
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Good evening, Mr. T. A pleasure to hear from you, as always.

30. mcmillibar
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Evenin’ all – as PC Dixon used to say. Easy-Easty and a bit more testy-Westy for me. No stand out clues today. Thanks RayT and Kath for a nice blog. Now… to tell my iPad to tell me not to forget Valentine’s Day!

31. Jon_S
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

A ** for difficulty, and many more for enjoyment value. First in 1ac, which is always a good sign, last in 9ac, so it wasn’t all plain sailing. I didn’t think there were that many T’s in 26ac, but I can’t spell for toffee, so there you go.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted February 9, 2017 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Nor did I.
      Finished the word with 2 Ts at the end on first go.

32. pommers
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

RayT lite but enjoyable all the same. Agree fav was 3d but there’s lots of other good stuff here. **/*** from me.

Ta to RayT and Kath with a K

Posted February 9, 2017 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

:smile:

33. Paso Doble
    Posted February 9, 2017 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle from Ray T and thanks to Kath for the blog!

Posted February 9, 2017 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Very gentle, but a pleasant solve: 1*/3.5*. I liked 3d a lot. Thanks to Ray T and Kath.

35. Tstrummer
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 12:47 am | Permalink

I don’t think I’ve ever finished a RayT in one pass – but I did tonight. Top of the pops was 9a (I can see why Mr K was excited enough by it to send it immediately to Ms K). Now if I can just stop sneezing and blowing my nose (“I have wasted the entire day blowing my nose” – Fernando Pessoa from “I have a terrible cold”) I might get more than the four hours’ sleep I managed last night. Thanks to Ray and Kath. 1*/3*

36. Jose
    Posted February 10, 2017 at 11:32 am | Permalink

As expected, this was the best of the week so far – average for a Ray T, but just above average for a general back-pager. 3*/3.5*. But aren’t we due for a rip-snorting 4.5*/5*er soon?