Prize Puzzle – 051

Monthly Prize Puzzle (August 2016)

A Puzzle by Radler

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Why not have a go at our latest Monthly Prize Puzzle?

The winner will receive their choice of any of the Telegraph Crossword Books published by Hamlyn.

Please note that, due to punitive postal charges, while the competition is open to all, the prize is only available to UK solvers.

A review will follow after the closing date (20th August 2016).

The competition is now closed

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

I’ve left this post open for comments, but if you don’t want your comment to be deleted then avoid asking for or giving help with the clues.

1. KiwiColin
    Posted August 6, 2016 at 11:17 am | Permalink | Reply

That took a lot of hard work but eventually it all came together and I found the question and then somewhat later, the answer.
    A really clever puzzle and a lot of fun to unpick.
    Thanks Radler.

2. dutch
    Posted August 6, 2016 at 12:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Radler!

Very impressed with all the clever definitions.

Loads to like including 10a, 12a, 16/20, 21a, 28a, 2d, 7d.

Am now looking for the answer to the question..

• dutch
      Posted August 6, 2016 at 12:57 pm | Permalink | Reply

Found – well done!

3. Jane
    Posted August 6, 2016 at 2:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Been sat staring at the last four clues for so long that I can feel the near hysteria creeping in. 24d in particular looks like something well outside of my comfort zone.
    On the upside – I have found the question! Getting the answer is a different matter altogether……..

My love/hate relationship with you continues, Mr. Radler!

Posted August 6, 2016 at 2:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

24d is one of the handful that I have got – my hands are quite small!

• dutch
        Posted August 6, 2016 at 9:00 pm | Permalink | Reply

well done Kath!

4. Jane
    Posted August 7, 2016 at 10:17 am | Permalink | Reply

OK – I’m down to the last two now. 22d and the second part of 7d are still holding out on me.
    Unless getting one or both of those would give me a light bulb moment over the required answer, I’m completely at a loss!

• Jane
      Posted August 7, 2016 at 6:13 pm | Permalink | Reply

Right – that’s 22d dealt with and 7d looking reasonably OK but……..I still can’t find the answer.
      From the timings on Dutch’s postings it apparently took him no more than 7 minutes to get from filled grid to answer – I’ve been searching all afternoon!
      My light bulbs are obviously just too dim.

• Jane
        Posted August 8, 2016 at 10:56 am | Permalink | Reply

Well, what can I say? I suppose you either know the answer or you don’t. If you don’t, then believe me it’s a long journey – a very long journey with all manner of obstacles in the way.
        In true BD approved style I thank you most heartily for the challenge, Radler. In private, I’m contemplating fashioning an effigy to stick pins into! Come to think of it, I reckon I’ve still got one tucked away from your last outing.

Posted August 7, 2016 at 7:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ve just started this one. Probably a good job that I have a whole month to get there!

6. Robert
    Posted August 7, 2016 at 9:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

This looks really hard, I dread to think how long I’ve spent and I’m yet to complete a single clue!

Posted August 8, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

I echo KiwiColin’s comments.

This took me several sittings to complete but it was great fun to do. I have now eventually parsed everything fully except 11a, which I will continue to worry away at. Hopefully I’ll get there before the review appears.

As Dutch says, there is a great deal to like here but my favourite has to be 26a.

Very well done, Radler, and many thanks for the very tough but very enjoyable challenge.

8. Robert
    Posted August 11, 2016 at 3:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Got to the finish line eventually – I look forward to the explanations to see if I’ve fully understood everything (especially in the NE corner).

Posted August 13, 2016 at 1:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

I picked this up this morning after putting it to the back of my clipboard all week. I now have a full grid, but the parsing of several escapes me so I may well have gone wrong somewhere. I have no idea what the question is, let alone the answer….hold on! I just saw the question!!

10. stanXYZ
    Posted August 14, 2016 at 3:31 pm | Permalink | Reply

The question was easily found. but the answer is still eluding me.

Loved the Cryptic Definitions ,,, thanks to Radler!!

Posted August 14, 2016 at 3:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

I have the answer!!

• Jane
      Posted August 14, 2016 at 5:06 pm | Permalink | Reply

Did you actually know it or were you, like me, hunting around in the reference section?!!

• Expat Chris
        Posted August 14, 2016 at 5:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Neither. I can’t say any more since it’s a prize puzzle.

• Jane
          Posted August 14, 2016 at 5:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Now I really am curious! I shall await your enlightenment at a later date.