Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

Although you won’t notice when you read this as it will still be published on time, we are a few hours later working on the puzzle than usual. One of the team has been away in Wellington for a few days and had to be collected from Waikanae station which is as far as suburban trains go in our direction. So, once the solving and blogging team was re-united and at home (or IN if it were a crossword clue) we could deal with this enjoyable Jay puzzle.

Please leave a comment telling us how you got on.

1a     Item used to clear up skin initially shed (6)
SHOVEL : The first letter of skin and a shed or wretched dwelling.

5a     Surveillance post abroad (8)
STAKEOUT : A synonym for post and a word meaning abroad or not at home.

9a     Intricately connected pair liable to suffer a mishap (8-5)
ACCIDENT-PRONE : An anagram (intricately) of CONNECTED PAIR. (This anagram took us much longer to sort out than, in retrospect, it should have.)

10a     Girl with fur, with some dodgy characters? (8)
MISSPELT : A title for a girl or young woman and then a synonym for a covering of fur.

11a     Stop crossing right line for a batsman (6)
CREASE : The abbreviation for right is inside a word meaning stop. Yes it is talking about the game of cricket this time.

12a     Soldiers in favour of mass change for the better (6)
REFORM : Engineering soldiers, then a word meaning in favour of and the physics abbreviation for mass.

14a     Developed as well as tidal barriers (3,5)
SEA WALLS : An anagram (developed) of AS WELL AS.

16a     Gut feeling that’s vague, when the DI goes missing (8)
INSTINCT : Find a word that means vague and remove from it the letters DI which happen to be the third and fourth letters.

19a     Paces studies, on time (6)
TREADS : The abbreviation for time and then studies as one does at a university.

21a     Almost nicked identity, showing no emotion (6)
STOLID : A word meaning nicked or purloined loses its last letter and then the two letter abbreviation for identity.

23a     Union of a couple of students making a nice change (8)
ALLIANCE : ‘A’ from the clue, the abbreviation for student or learner repeated, and an anagram (change) of A NICE.

25a     Unacceptable, but past help, ate out (6,3,4)
BEYOND THE PALE : A synonym for past or further on followed by an anagram (out) of HELP ATE.

26a     Lumber that is of no use to employer (4,4)
DEAD WOOD : Double definition. The first is a description of what building timber actually is.

27a     Submits financial returns (6)
YIELDS : Another double definition.

2d     Superior-sounding business that’s clear, like glass (7)
HYALINE : A homophone of a word meaning superior accounts for the first three letters. Then a business or occupation one might be involved in.

3d     Weaknesses of spokespersons lacking love (5)
VICES : A general word for spokespersons loses the letter for love in tennis.

4d     The French maidens must be bowled over by him (6,3)
LADIES MAN : The French definite article and an anagram (bowled over) of MAIDENS. The whole clue gives the definition.

5d     Views welcoming the rise of Brown in legislative assemblies (7)
SENATES : Views or observes contains the reversal of a word for light brown.

6d     Jelly babies at last seen in a short film (5)
ASPIC : ‘A’ from the clue and then the last letter of babies and a three letter abbreviation for a movie.

7d     Clear old flame on Ecstasy charge (9)
EXONERATE : The two letter word for an old flame or previous partner, ON from the clue, the abbreviation for the drug Ecstasy and a word meaning charge.

8d     Can opener, for example, let us in free? (7)
UTENSIL : An anagram (free) of LET US IN.

13d     Unfashionable editor supporting drama excelled in game (9)
OUTPLAYED : Unfashionable or not ‘in’ and the abbreviation for editor surround a dramatic performance.

15d     Firepower needed where there’s trouble in vessel (9)
ARTILLERY : A blood vessel has a three letter word for trouble inside it.

17d     No mountain in South Africa is worthy of mention! (7)
NOTABLE : ‘No’ from the clue and the mountain that forms a backdrop to Cape Town.

18d     Experienced in love? Quite the reverse, getting burnt! (7)
TOASTED : The round letter love is inside a word meaning experienced or sampled. ‘Quite the reverse’ is because love is inside experienced.

20d     Prescribed act, accepting European credit (7)
DECREED : A word for an act includes abbreviations for European and credit.

22d     Wild animal shot after loud noise (5)
DINGO : A two letter word for a shot or a turn follows a loud noise.

24d     A military establishment put to shame (5)
ABASE : ‘A’ from the clue and then a military home establishment.

The NW corner was the trickiest for us and from there we pick 10a as our favourite.

Next Wednesday we are going to be off the radar so you will have a ‘Mr Ron’ hinter to help with the puzzle.

Quickie pun    bars    +    hull    +    owner    =    Barcelona

Posted July 13, 2016 at 11:11 am | Permalink | Reply

I found it a bit trickier than usual , and in fact , I outsourced the solving of 2d.
    I’m picking 4d as my favourite.
    Thanks Kiwis and Jay.

2. Miffypops
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 11:32 am | Permalink | Reply

Quite gentle once again. 6d made me smile. I am off down the Co-Op to see if they have any Lark’s Tongue In Aspic Jelly. A superior Warwickshire delicacy. Thanks to The 2Ks for today’s review and to Hanni for yesterdays. Thanks to Jay for today’s puzzle and thanks to whomsoever set yesterdays.

• Heno
      Posted July 13, 2016 at 3:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

Lark’s tongues in Aspic, great track by King Crimson if you like that sort of thing :-)

• Miffypops
        Posted July 13, 2016 at 5:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

Ah, thanks. I knew I liked it. Couldn’t remember where from but hoped it was a food. I like food. I like food so much that I never eat anything else.

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Loved King Crimson as a lad, Red, Starless and Bible Black to name just a couple.

3. LabradorsruleOK
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink | Reply

Fairly OK except, like Una, for 2d..
    10a clue of the day for me. Though 6d ran it close.
    Thanks 2Kiwis

Posted July 13, 2016 at 12:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

3*/4*. Another superb Wednesday puzzle!

I followed my usual method of starting in the top left corner followed by the top right, and found myself staring at a grid with only one answer written in. The bottom half then went in smoothly followed by the NE with the NW taking some considerable time to crack. I suspect the 2Ks meant to say the NW corner was their trickiest part as, like me, they chose 10a as their favourite.

2d was a new word for me, and required the use of my BRB.
    Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

• LabradorsruleOK
      Posted July 13, 2016 at 12:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

As a newcomer, what is BRB? I had to resort to W*********.
      Presumably it is not Be Right Back or Birmingham Royal Ballet.

• Posted July 13, 2016 at 12:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

We do ask that everyone checks the FAQ before asking a question, particularly newcomers – there’s a lot of information n there, including the answer to this question

• LabradorsruleOK
          Posted July 13, 2016 at 3:19 pm | Permalink | Reply

Sorry about that, BD.
          Also thank you for the excellentime site. As someone who runs a website I know the effort required from all to set up & run a quality site

• Miffypops
            Posted July 13, 2016 at 5:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

The site might be quality, I am not so sure about some of the comments.

• LabradorsruleOK
              Posted July 13, 2016 at 5:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

I’ll keep quiet then particularly wrt football.

• Michael
            Posted July 13, 2016 at 6:04 pm | Permalink | Reply

If you’ve got an iPad the Chambers Dictionary is £9.99p from the App Store – I’ve got feeling I might have said the Collin’s Dictionary earlier – but I think I got away with it because some kind pedant deleted my light-hearted remark!

• Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

Telling people to ignore my advice was not a “light-hearted remark”. You were put on probation a while back and have kept your comments within the spirit of the site since, but I can soon change that and reinstate the probation.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted July 13, 2016 at 6:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks for pointed out our E W mistake. Fixed now.

5. Beaver
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 12:16 pm | Permalink | Reply

First note I made on completion was ‘tricky’ as per Una above. Last in was 2d which I confirmed on the ‘doofer ‘-came up with another similar word for future reference, hyalite which is a glassy opal !
    Also wrote down ***/****, so agree with 2K too- thanks for the blog pics, not seen Rudolph for a while, not quite sure who the swooning lady is-Theda or Gloria maybe.
    Thanks to the setter for a good challenge.

6. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 12:30 pm | Permalink | Reply

Time to make a start on this, looks tricky….
    I would be surprised if this week’s prize puzzle on the DT internet site is not a Ray-T, for all you Ray-T, addicts as even though I have completed it, there are about 10 answers that I can’t parse!!!

7. Metman
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 12:51 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very enjoyable and not too difficult, though 2d was a new word for me so I had to resort to the hints. Thanks to the 2kiwis for their blog and the setter.

8. Ora Meringue
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Did well again today, but not as well as yesterday and Monday…..for some reason 24d escaped me until I used the electronic aid…doh!

As for 2d…..bah!

Thanks to the setter, except for 2d, and to the 2 Kiwis for the hints.

Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

No problems today so a 1* from me for difficulty but *** for enjoyment.
    Thought the misdirection in 6d was excellent.
    Only observation is that I don’t understand the reverse in 18d or the hint by 2kiwis. Probably just me being thick.
    Thx to all

Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

No, you’re not being thick – you’ve just got a bit of a mental block.
      The definition is burnt so you want a word meaning experienced or tried something out. The next part of the clue suggests that you need to put that word in love – quite the reverse means that you need to do the opposite so put ‘love’ or the letter that looks like a zero inside your word that means experienced.
      As clear as mud – hope that I haven’t made things worse!

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted July 13, 2016 at 6:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks Kath – I missed the relevance of ‘reverse’, I was looking to turn a word upside down. I worked it out from the checkers.
        Is this a common setter trick???

Posted July 13, 2016 at 6:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Is it a common trick? I might have to think about that. :scratch:
          It probably depends a bit on the construction of the clue, and the setter too.
          I’ll leave this one for the more knowledgeable ones amongst us – Gazza, BD, CS – or I’ll end up in a right pickle.

Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:22 pm | Permalink | Reply

Yes, quite tricky in places – I agree with 3* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    5a was my last answer – don’t know why but I’d convinced myself that the first bit was ‘space’ which didn’t help.
    Then there was most of the top left corner which took ages – 1 and 10a and 2 and 4d.
    Well, 4d was obviously something to do with cricket wasn’t it? :roll:
    I didn’t know 4d but guessed the homophone and then tried to make the second letter ‘I’ to begin with.
    Anyway, got there eventually.
    9a was a great anagram and surface reading – my mind is now boggling! I also liked 15d. My favourite was 10a.
    With thanks to Jay and to the 2K’s – glad that everyone is now back where they belong.

11. Jane
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:23 pm | Permalink | Reply

Like others, I had to check on 2d but I did get the cricket clue for once!
    Slow to sort out the anagram fodder for 9a, which I’ll put in the top spot.
    5a was the last to fall.

Thanks to Jay for an enjoyable puzzle and to our 2Ks for the usual excellent review. Enjoy your week off!

12. HughGfan
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

I too did not get 2d and needed cheated with ‘Click Here’. However the rest although taking a bit of time and a few Doh moments went in relatively smoothly.
    So difficulty **/*** but enjoyment ****

13. Gwizz
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

For the second day running I found myself working from the bottom of the grid upwards, gradually getting slower as I arrived in the NW corner. 2d was a new one for me, and I liked 4d as favourite.
    3/3* overall.
    Thanks to Jay and thanks also to the 2K’s for their review.

14. Michael
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 1:59 pm | Permalink | Reply

No problems today – some nice anagrams, no obscure words, indeed quite easy all round – maybe it’s a wrong envelope job where a Saturday puzzle got in by mistake!

What am I going to do with the rest of the day? I wonder if there’s a decent old film on the gogglebox?

15. Omar
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 2:05 pm | Permalink | Reply

Definitely *** for difficulty. I didn’t like 2d which foxed me but is obscure….I also don’t think that shed and hovel are synonyms…..so, only * for enjoyment…10a was my favourite….

16. Angel
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 2:10 pm | Permalink | Reply

South presented no real problems however there were a few holdups in the North but the 2Ks helped me through those for which many thanks. 2d new to me. Liked 6d. Not sure about 18d being synonym for burnt. Thanks Jay.

Posted July 13, 2016 at 3:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. I was totally immersed in this wonderful puzzle. I solved 9a&4d without realising that they both had anagramattical components. Had a guess at 2d, and struck lucky, was a new word for me. I thought 1&5a were both so subtle, my favourites, sorry Kath :-) Last in was 5a, was 3*/4* for me. Weather back to normal after a nice morning in Central London.

18. stanXYZ
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 3:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

Thanks to the 2Kiwis for the blog and to Jay for the usual great Wednesday cryptic!

Loved the picture hint for 10a – that’s how I normally spell it.

Dyslexia rules … etc … etc

Posted July 13, 2016 at 3:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

This was hard! I never did solve three clues in the NW corner. Why? Who knows. In fact I wanted to put the right answer in 1a and decided it wasn’t correct. I didn’t know 2d and missed 3D.
    I did have to use my gizmo in the end for a couple, e.g. 9a, which I was sure was an anagram but chose the wrong words! Dim or something.
    Some real goodies here, difficult to choose a fave, but I think 25a is it, with 6d runner up.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2Kiwis for the help in finishing.
    Wet, rainy day here, with Big Massa grumbling all the time!

20. LetterboxRoy
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 4:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

2d is new to me, so had to guess ‘n’ check it. Only other snag; I expected 8d to start with a ‘c’, so I had missed the anagram indicator. D’oh! Otherwise a R&W so I can only really rate it */**

18d entertained, but 10a my favourite clue today.

Many thanks to all as ever

21. silvanus
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 4:25 pm | Permalink | Reply

The NW corner took far longer than the other three combined, and, like others, I needed to check 2d as it was entirely new. Very surprising that it isn’t used more often in crosswords, as it is ideal for a homophone.

Favourite clues for me were 9a and 10a.

Thanks to Jay for an excellent puzzle and to the reunited 2Ks.

22. cat
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 4:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

I found this very difficult today, had to read it through twice before I could put anything down and never did get 5a, like Kath I got fixated with ‘space’. I liked 9a, 10a and 25a, even though for some reason it took me ages to work out why.
    3*/2* I think, I’m not sure I’m quite on Jay’s wavelength.
    But thanks to Jay and also to 2Ks.

23. Young Salopian
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 5:29 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mrs YS and I are currently staying in a guest house with fabulous views looking out over the Mawddach estuary towards Cadir Idris in the SW corner of the Snowdonia National Park. Just the place for the inspiration needed to solve this top Jay puzzle, full of his trademark clues and clever invention.

10 across just my favourite and 2.5*/4* overall.

Thanks to all the Avians concerned. The first time I typed that my i-Pad self-corrected to Asians, which luckily I spotted before posting.

24. Vancouverbc
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 5:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

1.5/3. The NW corner put up most resistance especially as I was looking for the wrong definition for 1a until the lights went on. 2d was new for me. Thanks to the setter and the 2Ks for the review.

25. Cornishpasty
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 6:39 pm | Permalink | Reply

Quite an enjoyable romp today apart from 2d which stumped me, thanks for the hint, not a word I was familiar with. Being in Manitoba, there are always interesting comments to digest or be amused by. Thanks to all.

26. Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:01 pm | Permalink | Reply

It’s very rare that I need help with a Jay but today I cheated to get 2d, the last of a tricky few in that pesky NW.

Other that that, all the usual good Wednesday fun. Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis (who I will miss next week). The pic for 10a seems about right.

Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Come on Kiwis – rise and shine or, as my Dad would have said, “The sun’s shining fit to burn your eyes out.” Where on earth did that come from? I think it must be a naval expression but really don’t know.
    Whatever – quietish here today, so far at least.

28. Hanni
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Trickier than normal from Jay but good fun as always.

6d gets the favourite vote but 9a was a close second.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for a great blog.

Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:32 pm | Permalink | Reply

Good morning all. Despite Kath’s comment above it is still pitch black here and the rain is just bucketing down. Not much chance of eyes being burnt out today. Actually we would still be in bed but there were a couple of minor adjustments needed to the blog that meant an earlier rise. Thanks to those who pointed them out. The proofreader in the team is in serious trouble! :smile:

Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:58 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oh dear! What about taking a nice cup of tea back to bed for another little snooze? I’d go for the extra little :yawn: but can’t imagine anything worse than a cup of tea, ever!

• Miffypops
        Posted July 13, 2016 at 10:56 pm | Permalink | Reply

Vince does my proof reading after BD has cast his eye over it.

• 2Kiwis
          Posted July 13, 2016 at 11:36 pm | Permalink | Reply

The comment was written by the proofreader himself. :smile:

30. Jaylegs
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Found this the trickiest so far this week, but no doubt tomorrow will change that 😳 ***/*** Liked 10a & 1a 😊 Thanks to 2xKs and Rufus 2d was a new word for me, if I still had a memory my vocabulary would be huge 😏

• 2Kiwis
      Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

The setter would have been Jay. Rufus was Monday.

• Jaylegs
        Posted July 13, 2016 at 9:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oops! Thanks to Jay 🙄

31. Macolm Dunn
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:50 pm | Permalink | Reply

hyaline? ridiculous clue,the compiler had obviously run into a brick wall when trying to complete the grid!

Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:03 pm | Permalink | Reply

I don’t think that it was a ridiculous clue at all. Perhaps you meant to say that you couldn’t do it which is a bit different. It wasn’t easy but Jay is an absolutely brilliant setter and I don’t think that ‘brick wall’ is in his vocabulary unless it’s a crossword answer.

Posted July 13, 2016 at 9:48 pm | Permalink | Reply

You said a mouthful – so, so true. Jay is one of those setters who is always fair, sometimes difficult, but always fair.

• LabradorsruleOK
      Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:47 pm | Permalink | Reply

Like many, thanks to Jay I learned a new word. My “something g new every day”.
      Whether it will still be in the filing cabinet Friday (or even tomorrow) is another matter..

• cat
      Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:54 pm | Permalink | Reply

It was a new word for me but not impossible to work out from the cluing. I googled it, my first spelling was incorrect, but found the answer. Surely part of the fun of crosswords is learning new words and meanings.

32. Jon_S
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 7:53 pm | Permalink | Reply

Pretty much a ** for difficulty, apart from 2d, where an abrupt gear change was needed after a pretty rapid solve where many had gone in on definition alone, or partial wordplay and crossing letters.

33. BusyLizzie
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:17 pm | Permalink | Reply

Tougher than usual for a Jay, but Miffypops hints easily cleared up those I struggled with. Like some of you, 2d was a new word for me. Plus I had Overseas for 5a which seemed perfect, actually I like it better than Stakeout 😊

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:27 pm | Permalink | Reply

The 2xK’s did the hints today!!

• BusyLizzie
        Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:37 pm | Permalink | Reply

Oops, just realized that… Many apologies to the KiWis….😩

34. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 8:42 pm | Permalink | Reply

Not too many problems today, Jay and I are on the same wavelength.
    2d – ??????????
    19a – Needed the BRB for synonym for ‘studies’, yes, very embarrassed!!
    18d – Phew!! Managed to get it from the checkers, absolutely no idea how to parse that until I read the hints
    9a – Missed the anagram – grrr, but the first word was obvious with a few checkers
    8a – Ditto!!
    Many thanks to the 2xK’s for a super set of hints/blog and Jay for the puzzle.
    MP is right, much better when you don’t read the clues!!!

35. Sam
    Posted July 13, 2016 at 10:55 pm | Permalink | Reply

Very good.

36. Jose
    Posted July 14, 2016 at 11:00 am | Permalink | Reply

Best of the week, so far. 2d was a new word for me and quite a few others I suspect. 2.5*/3*

Posted July 14, 2016 at 2:40 pm | Permalink | Reply

New Zealand had all the honours by leading the procession in Paris for the 14th of July. Grass skirts, tribal make up and all.
    Great crossword from Jay.
    9a (intricately connected) was just superb.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2ks for the review.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted July 14, 2016 at 7:20 pm | Permalink | Reply

Recognition at last as being the world’s leading nation!
      Wonder how we earned that honour.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted July 14, 2016 at 11:02 pm | Permalink | Reply

Mostly for your sacrifices during the battle of the Somme.

38. Robin Newman