Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

It is end of first term school holidays here and we have all three of our granddaughters staying with us for a few days. As we write this Alice and Bea, both 12, are off riding their bikes while 5 year old Milly is drawing in her book and watching bemusedly what her strange grandparents are doing. It is wonderful to have them all here.
By now we know what to expect from Jay and he has once again delivered the goods with this puzzle.

Please leave a comment telling us how you found it.

1a     Shady spots where telephones will lose signal, ultimately (6)
BOWERS : An informal word for telephones has the last letter of signal removed from it.

4a     Coast road company runs cosy little place (8)
CORNICHE : The abbreviations for company and cricket runs and then a cosy little exclusive place.

10a     Customers needing most of nicely polished box (9)
CLIENTELE : An anagram (polished) of NICELy with its last letter missing and a short form of the device that is informally called ‘the box’.

11a     Murphy’s back around the first of March for deposits (5)
DUMPS : Reverse an informal word for the vegetable often called a murphy and put the first letter of March inside.

12a     Rodent eating unusual brie dish (7)
RAREBIT : An anagram (unusual) of BRIE is inside a three letter rodent.

13a     Sacrifice one during poor effort (7)
FORFEIT : An anagram (poor) of EFFORT includes the Roman numeral one.

14a     Unhappy hour, oddly for a holy man (5)
SADHU : A word meaning unhappy or downcast and the first and third letters of hour.

15a     Finds new quarters for American welcomed among freed heroes (8)
REHOUSES : The abbreviation meaning American is inside an anagram (freed) of HEROES.

18a     Vestments needing most of money, then footwear (8)
CASSOCKS : A word for ready money loses its last letter and is followed by the soft footwear worn inside shoes.

20a     Popular guest admitting row (5)
ARGUE : A lurker hiding in the clue.

23a     Wrap English novel, working quietly (7)
ENVELOP : The abbreviation for English and then an anagram (working) of NOVEL and the musical notation for quietly.

25a     Picture designer with a master’s degree (7)
DIORAMA : A famous fashion designer, A from the clue and a Master of Arts.

26a     Fly high across pole with echo-sounder (5)
SONAR : One of our planet’s poles is inside a word meaning to fly high.

27a     Testing toy Turing designed (6,3)
TRYING OUT : An anagram (designed) of TOY TURING.

28a     Check mobile phone? It’s a little thing but capable of development (4,4)
STEM CELL : Check or staunch and then what we often call a mobile phone.

29a     Much loved mineral, in total (6)
ADORED : A three letter word meaning to total surrounds a metal bearing mineral.

1d     Bet on others for support (4,4)
BACK REST : Bet or put money on and how you might refer to the others who are left.

2d     Rumour, some might say, went round fast (7)
WHIRRED : A ‘sounds like’ clue. Jay has covered his rear by suggesting that some people might not find this a true homophone.

3d     Manage a session on small cars (9)
RUNABOUTS : A word meaning manage, then A from the clue, then a word for a session or period and the abbreviation for small.

5d     Sooner or later, defy senate and shoo out (3,2,5,4)

6d     Free article turned up low point (5)
NADIR : Reading the answer in reverse order we have a word meaning to free and the two letter indefinite article.

7d     Host with time for right contest (7)
COMPETE : Take a word meaning a host and replace the abbreviation for right with the abbreviation for time to give contest as a verb.

8d     Players at Zurich admitting substitute (6)
ERSATZ : Our second ‘hiding in the clue’ for today.

9d     Never worried, accepting trade union with excellent source of finance (7,7)
VENTURE CAPITAL : An anagram (worried) of NEVER contains the two letters that stand for a trade union and then a word meaning excellent or superb.

16d     Plain rude — and no different (9)
UNADORNED : An anagram (different) of RUDE AND NO.

17d     Some in action did a runner (8)
DEPARTED : A word meaning an action contains some or a portion.

19d     Money up front for amorous approach (7)
ADVANCE : A double definition. The first is a down-payment of even a loan.

21d     Appeal of girl disheartened with love affair (7)
GLAMOUR : Dishearten ‘girl’ by removing its middle two letters and then a word for a love affair.

22d     People count! (6)
CENSUS : A cryptic definition of a regular nation-wide counting of heads.

24d     Absurdly rich, bagging poem (5)
LYRIC : And we finish off as we often do with another answer lurking in the clue.

Our favourite today is 4a because it conjures up images of movie car chases on the Riviera.

Quickie pun   ridge   +   hoist   =   rejoiced

Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Slightly easier than usual for a Jay and the “Toughie” took me exactly the same time – read into that what you will.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Ks – have fun with your girls.

2. George
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I had trouble starting on this puzzle – had to work from the bottom up. It took me a while to get into the swing today. But when finished, I didn’t really understand why I found it troublesome!

Anyway, I would say 3*/3* would be my rating today.

3. Hanni
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:11 am | Permalink

You see that ‘Z’ and you see that ‘K’ and start wondering about a pangram…but no.

Very nice puzzle though with anagrams aplenty that satisfied by pencil after I solved them in my head. Lots of ways to solve anagrams. I can highly recommend doing them on a sofa.

Double checked 14a and had to look up the recipe for 12a..just forgotten how to make it.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for a great blog.

Sunny again on the moors. No riding it seems but no more splint on my finger. This is a good thing.

• Framboise
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Hanni, yes we have a friend also named Martin Smith who worked with Mr Framboise in Nigeria and who indulged in cryptic puzzle solving hence my asking our newly arrived Martin Smith this question!!!!

• Hanni
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

There is a bit of me that is quite relieved but there is also a bit of me thinking it was just an amazing random question. Would be so good though if it was the same Martin Smith. :yes:

4. Angel
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink

No pain again today. 14a new one on me but had to be. I suppose 25a can be a ‘picture’? Now out into the glorious sunshine and finally Spring warmth I hope. Last to go in was 24d – d’oh! Thanks Jay and 2 Ks – nice to hear of your enjoying your grandchildren’s company. **/***.

5. Chris
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Any time I complete this crossword unaided I have to rate it as easy and very satisfying, i.e. */****. However, I found this a little more difficult than yesterday’s and so **/****. There are others I can’t even get started on which is a waste of £1.40 as I only buy the Telegraph for the crossword. Hopefully I will get there one day! Interested to know how we know who the respective compilers are each day?

Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:34 am | Permalink

The complier question is a Frequently Asked Question so have a look under the FAQ tab at the top of the page

• Miffypops
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:44 am | Permalink

What is a Frequently Asked Question?

Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Quite often something posed by someone who really ought to know better than to ask :roll:

• Chris
          Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

It’s a question that’s asked frequently.

• Miffypops
            Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

But you have only asked it once

• Chris
              Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

No, it’s just one of a number of questions that has been asked frequently.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I hope you realise that my comment was addressed to a certain poser of silly questions rather than you, a seeker of genuine enlightenment.

• Chris
                  Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Yes I did thank you. Not only silly but wholly incorrect.

• Chris
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks crypticsue.

6. Miffypops
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:46 am | Permalink

No problems today other than the two hide and seek clues. For those worry about whether vinegar is a sauce or not from yesterdays 19ac try thinking of sauce as sourness or peevishness of behaviour, character, or speech.

• Gazza
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Don’t bother – it doesn’t mean that at all.

7. Senf
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

A slow start, but, after I got going, completed comfortably before lights out last night. This was somewhat gratifying as personal and business travel over the last few days had interfered with crossword solving – however, grandchildren beat crosswords as the top priority. So, **/*** for me with a favourite of 5d. Thanks yo Jay and the 2Ks.

8. Jaycat
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Afraid I messed up on this one, got various wrong answers so that did for the rest of the puzzle – and looking at the hints I am not on the same wavelength at all.

It happens some days.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

As happens all too often, my British slang recall let me down so I didn’t manage to parse all of 10A. Not to worry. It didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the puzzle. 28A is my top pick. Thanks Jay and the two Ks.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

What a lovely crossword. Mr Wednesday Wizard strikes again. Unlike others I found this slightly trickier than the last few Wednesdays so 3* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    Got completely stuck in the bottom left corner and couldn’t do the intersecting 1a or 2d for ages.
    Forgot about the 10a ‘box’ as I always do and can’t spell 13a which made 7d a touch on the impossible side.
    I missed two of the three lurkers for far too long.
    I’m not sure if I’ve met the 14a ‘holy man’ or not but had to check him in the BRB just in case.
    I liked 4 and 27a and 2 and 22d. My favourite was 1d – my Dad always called the phone the ‘blower’.
    With thanks to Jay and to the 2K’s – have fun with the three girls – I’m sure they’re having fun – I’m picturing them all sleeping in the bach!
    Want to try the Toughie but it’s such a lovely day that I think it might have to wait until later.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

:roll: No – favourite wasn’t 1d at all, it was 1a.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

You have the picture exactly right Kath. The girls have taken over the bach as their space and are revelling in the freedom and independence. This could possibly be described as chaos, but why not enjoy it. :smile:

11. pete
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Quite a gentle stroll me thinks, but still enjoyable. I havent heard of 4a before as a coast road, but it was easy enough to work out. Many thanks to Jay and 2kiwis

• Senf
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Same for me on 4a, previously only aware of it as a name of a Rolls-Royce, but definitely easy enough to work out from the clue and with the checkers I had.

• Wahoo
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

I think the Rolls was named after the famous Cote d’Azur Corniche, where an open top RR really comes into its own!

• maarvarq
      Posted May 5, 2016 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I felt the need to check 4ac before writing it in, but wrote 14ac in without hesitation. Weird.

12. Jaylegs
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle,**/*** Thanks to 2Ks for explaining 1a 😬 And to J for supplying a solveable crossword 😃 Liked 25a & 18a

Posted April 20, 2016 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Was only held up at the beginning trying to find some kind of Revenue in 9d but soon went back on the right tracks.
    Last ones in were 1a and 2d.
    No real favourite.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis for the review.

14. fran
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

A hugely entertaining solve but for the top left I needed hints to 1a to really get me going , the rest was very straightforward .Really liked 4 18 and 28a(favourite). Thanks 2Kiwis for the help. And of course the setter **/****

15. AnntheArt
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

This is going to take some time today and I want to enjoy it and take my time inbetween all the daily myriad of jobs and activities. Still nowhere near being able to do a solve in one sitting. So have looked through the comments but no hints yet.
    I’ve already amused myself by Googling “Naphu” for 14a til the penny dropped…what a saddo I am, or should I say….beware naughty step!
    My Dad also calls the phone the “blower”. He is now 93 years old and completes the telegraph crossword every day. Never heard of the blog, in fact doesn’t have a computer (sadly). I don’t go there as I sort of think he would regard it as cheating!
    Favourite clue so far is 18a.

• Hanni
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Wouldn’t worry….I thought about naphu too.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

The naughty step only operates on Saturdays and Sundays because they’re prize puzzles so don’t worry about that either.
      I don’t think that you can cheat with a crossword although I know others don’t all agree – you can’t cheat yourself.

• AnntheArt
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

You Sure can’t cheat yourself Kath, it’s true. I think my Dad even regards a thesaurus as cheating…different generation, different views.
        Glad it wasn’t just me Hanni! Also couldn’t resist the cheap joke to be honest! Right naughty step only operates on prize crosswords, got it.

• Hanni
          Posted April 20, 2016 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Only just spotted the joke…Like it!

16. Phil Oliver
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I found this much easier than usual but completely missed the point on 8D. I guess that’s why I’ve got you guys bookmarked isn’t it?
    Keep up the good work 🍻

• Gazza
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Phil.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Welcome from us too Phil. Glad that we were able to be of assistance. Hope to hear from you again.

17. Wahoo
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Excellent fun last night, then I did the crossword and that was fun too! **/***

No stand out favourite but 18a is such a lovely word. Despite it’s true meaning it almost sounds like a mild swear word! Imagine Father Jack (in Father Ted) mumbling it under his breath?

18. hoofityoudonkey
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Could not get going today, no reason…
    Needed hints for 1a and 4a, neither of which I had heard of, so at least I have learnt a couple of new words.
    Fancied the Toughie today as well as it sounds on the easier side, unfortunately brain not there, so will attempt it tomorrow

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Big struggle today, would be better off leaving it until I get home from work!!!
      Favourite clue = 8d, nice disguise…

• hoofityoudonkey
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Belated thanks to the two K’s for the hints and to Jay for the puzzle that I totally failed to do justice to!!

• 2Kiwis
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Yes when we first looked at the clue we thought, “Another clue about footballers we have never heard of”. But it wasn’t at all. :smile:

19. dutch
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I liked the hidden words. I also liked 23a, though I thought “Wrap up English novel” would work better, making me wonder if that was the original intention and was edited somehow. I thought 15a was good as well (Finds new quarters…).
    Many thanks Jay and 2Kiwis

20. mre
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everybody.

Very enjoyable back page puzzle, not least because it was on the back page. Favourites were 1a and 22d with 28a highly commended. Some nicely hidden lurkers too. Wasn’t entirely convinced by last in 2d. Certainly into three star time but not excessively so.

21. Dr M
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Lovely day and lovely puzzle. Finished in time to do a spot of gardening. 28a was my favourite. Thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis.

22. Young Salopian
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

2.5*/3*. A comfortable and enjoyable solve with only a couple of hold-ups, notably 2 down and 10 across, my last two in. Favourite clue probably 1 across for its elegance and smile factor. Sunny down here in Devon but blowing.an easterly gale across the coastline which curtailed our cliff walk.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

23. Vancouverbc
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

**/****. What a lovely puzzle. I thought it was going to be a pangram when I got 8d but alas. This was such an elegant series of clues and very rewarding when pennies dropped. Thanks to the setter and the 2Ks for the review. Last night Paul McCartney was outstanding and demonstrated why he’s one of the best song writers of the last 50 years.

24. Jane
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Jay always manages to put the wind up me with a couple of clues, which I think are going to require GK but actually turn out to be lurkers or anagrams – as in 27a &8d today.
    No real problems although I didn’t know (or have forgotten) the religious gent and – like Senf – only equate 4a with Rolls Royce.
    Favourite by a mile was 28a.

Thanks to Jay and to the grandparents in charge. Enjoy your ‘little ones’ – they grow up all too soon.

An unbelievable 20 degrees on Anglesey today. Just wishing it could be the same for my younger daughter’s outdoor wedding in Wiltshire next Wednesday. Unfortunately, the current forecast for the area on the day is for snow – and all of us have bought ‘posh’ Summer outfits……!

• Hanni
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

What about a feather wrap Jane…or a pashmina? :yes:

• Jane
        Posted April 20, 2016 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

I think I may well chance my arm and order the feathery thing, despite the veto from both yourself and BTB. Can always return it!

• Tstrummer
          Posted April 21, 2016 at 12:10 am | Permalink

I have a donkey jacket you can borrow

• Jane
            Posted April 21, 2016 at 12:18 am | Permalink

Nice one, TS. I’ll run the idea past Bride to be. Her answer may – or may not – be suitable for the blog…..

25. Hrothgar
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Quite hard, judging by my time taken.
    Say *** and a half for difficulty.
    But I got there unaided except to confirm 25 across, a new word for me.
    Many thanks Jay and the 2Kiwis for the tastefully illustrated review.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

1a took me ages and I missed 28a completely.Otherwise , pleasantly solvable.If I had to pick just one favourite , perhaps 18a.
    A remarkable 23 degrees in Dublin today. I hope this lasts.

27. silvanus
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable and not too taxing solve, with the meanings of 4a and 14d pleasant additions to the vocabulary.

The lurkers were excellently executed I thought. Favourite clue of the day was 1d for its neatness.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

28. sunny_h
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

My random advertising was models wanted aged 3 to 28, so guess that counts me out (just). Lovely crossword. Last one in and favourite was 1ac. jointly done with hubby as never heard of 14ac. Thanks to 2Kiwis for hints.

29. Howitzerx3
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Got lost on this one and only completed thank to the two KW’s. Did not help that I had blower in for 1a and deserted for 17d until I sussed what was wrong from the H&T. Not my best day but learned a lot again. Needed help with 25a not a word I’m familiar with. Overall a typical tricky Tuesday puzzle for me, usually seems like that on Tuesday’s.

No particular favourite clue today

Overall Rating: 3.5 / 2
    Many thanks to the two KW’S, without your help it would not have been possible today

Thanks to the setter also.

• Howitzerx3
      Posted April 20, 2016 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

That about say’everythingl today it just happens to be Wednesday! Another senior moment no wonder I can’t manage the puzzle and not a drop has touched my lips.

Bed and a flannel on the forehead I think.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

I too started off with ‘deserted’ for 17d. I think it was the association of legging it (doing a runner) with those in action – i.e. the armed forces.
      Back to one of the most useful things that BD’s ever said – if you can’t justify your answer it’s probably wrong. I’d like to add something to that – if you go with your wrong answer it’s likely to screw up something else.

30. Framboise
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

What a lovely puzzle! Enjoyed solving it tremendously. Apart from trying overlap for 23a, everything went in smoothly. Our Indian holy man made an appearance: I saw quite a few of those while living in Mangalore… Lots of clever clues – particularly liked 4a, 18a and 28a – 22d made me smile. 2*/4*. Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis – as always I often need help with the parsing of my answers! A note of explanation about my weird question to Martin Smith yesterday. We have a Martin Smith friend who worked with Mr Framboise in Ibadan, Nigeria and who happens to enjoy solving cryptic puzzles. So I thought perhaps it was him who had discovered this wonderful blog: Welcome Martin!

Posted April 20, 2016 at 6:18 pm | Permalink

2*/4*. Silvanus and I are back on the same page again today, and I agree on 1d as favourite.

I felt very foolish with 1a as I saw the answer and construction immediately but spent some time trying to work out why bowlers = telephones! D’oh!

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

Posted April 20, 2016 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

Yes – me too with bowlers and telephones for a while – see – you chaps have made me see crickety stuff even when it isn’t there. Oh dear!

32. Posted April 20, 2016 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I almost always enjoy Jay, and today followed the norm.

4a is a word I think I knew but it had to be dredged up. It brings back horrible memories of coach trips on family holidays when younger, being taken along such roads and being utterly terrified. I retain an intense dislike of travelling by coach. Even cars can make me uneasy – I like to be free to move about on my own two legs.

14a rang a bell but that was all. It had to be that from the wordplay, so went in readily.

The only problem I had was entirely down to an inexplicable brain fail. 2d took me an embarrassingly long time to see. With all the checkers, I could not see any word that fit. I was trying to put “word” in the word and knew that there would almost certainly be a homophone. There is no excuse. :roll: :oops:

28a is my favourite today.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis. Enjoy your time with the grandkids :) .

33. Jon_S
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

A few more unusual answers than we usually get, or at least rare as far as I was concerned, meant I proceeded with more caution than is usual on a Wednesday, and a sluggish time reflected this. Having to nag children to get out of the bath probably didn’t help either. Last in 1ac and 17d, always frustrating when there are odd remaining answers dotted round the grid!

Posted April 20, 2016 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

Morning all. Another cool crisp autumn morning just dawning with the promise of a fine day to follow which we will enjoy with Milly, Bea and Alice.
    Cheers. :good:

Posted April 20, 2016 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

1*/3*. The only difficulty was caused by my misreading my own handwriting, which led me to try and find an answer to 13a which began with an “e” (I couldn’t). 12a was my favourite, and one of my last in – despite the fact that I could still taste the one I had for supper. Thanks to Jay and the 2 Kiwis.

36. AnntheArt
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Finished but needed some hints for the last three, 22d, so obvious with hindsight, 28a, would never have got that one, and 17d, again obvious when you know…so thank you 2Kiwis.

Really enjoyed this and loved 8d, 26a. It took me ages to get 12a! And didn’t know what a Murphy was until now. Had bunged in the answer without exactly knowing why. Thanks to the 2 Kiwis for the helpful blog and to the setter.

37. Florence
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Several new words for me today. I’m not very good at committing things to memory, so perhaps I need to invest in a little book to write things down in. Never heard of 8d. Haven’t seen it written down in a sentence either. 5d made me smile but I think that 28a was my favourite. Thank you Jay and 2Ks. 3*/3*

38. Gwizz
    Posted April 20, 2016 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

What with my iPad throwing a hissy fit and me not really on the case this took me far longer than usual. A nice crossword even so. 28a was fave, and overall 3/3*
    Thanks to Jay and the by now very weary NZ grandparents……

39. Tstrummer
    Posted April 21, 2016 at 12:19 am | Permalink

Great stuff, as usual, from Jay. No real hold-ups, although I had to check 14a in the BBB. Good anagrams, expertly hidden lurkers – I remember 8d from all those PoW escape memoirs I read a teenager. I’ll go for 9d as my pick of the bunch. Many thanks to the indulgent grandparents and to Jay. 1*/3*
    I’m on new medication – the enclosed leaflet warns of a range of unpleasant side-effects, including constipation, hives and death. It adds, helpfully, that I should inform my GP should I experience any of them

• Jane
      Posted April 21, 2016 at 12:29 am | Permalink

No problem then, TS. I’m told that death is quite easy to spot, constipation gives rise to a lot of wind and hives looks a little like the early stages of the plague. Self diagnosis should be relatively easy………

• Hanni
      Posted April 21, 2016 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Hope the new tablets help. I’d give your GP a call re any side-effects, especially the latter. Or if someone turns up with a loads of bees for the hives. CS and Miffypops have hives.

Jokes aside…feel better soon.