Sloggers and Betters 13

Sloggers and Betters 13

What? The 13th “Sloggers and Betters” gathering for crossword setters and blog contributors and readers will take place in London, following on, as in previous years, from the annual lunch for Times setters.  The George no longer take reservations, but start by looking in the Parliament bar (first door on the right) – fellow cruciverbalists are not hard to find.

When? 2:00pm onwards on Tuesday 24th May 2016.

London – meeting at the George, Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1 1NH

The George, Borough High Street, Southwark, SE1 1NH

And later? Anyone still standing will be heading towards a nearby restaurant.
Who? Anyone who is interested.
Why? It is hoped that most of the Times setters and several of the Telegraph, Guardian, Independent and FT setters will put in an appearance. There should also be a cross-section of bloggers and readers from this site, Times for the Times and Fifteensquared. This is your chance to meet us!
How? You can just turn up on the day, but feel free to indicate your intentions by leaving a comment.
  If you’ve never been before, these are very friendly functions and you have the opportunity to meet other like-minded people.

1. Shropshirelad
    Posted April 5, 2016 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Unfortunately Mrs SL and I will be in London the following weekend at the Aviva Premiership Final at Twickenham. My liver will not be able to accommodate both venues. I hope all who attend have a great day.

Posted April 6, 2016 at 9:09 am | Permalink

I’m still sitting on the fence from yesterday – in other words I’m not sure . . .

3. Miffypops
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 9:28 am | Permalink

May 24th is Bob Dylan’s 75th birthday. I will be on holiday on The Roseland Peninsula. So it’s a no show from me. You lucky people.

4. Kitty
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Boo. 😢 SL, I will miss you. MP, I will miss you. Kath, we will have discussions…

Posted April 6, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

I’ll be there, as the Four Tops once sang :-)

6. bifield
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

I will be in Lanzarote on that date so I will not be there. I will be thinking of you all. Have a good time all of you.

7. andy
    Posted April 6, 2016 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

So close to Derby advertised in another place i’m not sure, but who knows. Should be good though

8. Sparks
    Posted April 12, 2016 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I’ll be there :) , but without Sparky :( . Really looking forward to it.

Posted April 12, 2016 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Looking forward to meeting you and crossing off another setter in my I-Spy Book of Crossword Setters. (Before anyone asks, yes that is indeed another figment of my imagination rather than a real book but it would be a useful guide to ‘have I ever met.. ? – as sometimes I do forget people I’ve met in pubs.. and no, not just because I’ve had a beer or two)

9. dutch
    Posted April 16, 2016 at 11:40 am | Permalink

it’s very close to the Derby S&B on Saturday May 21 which is also great fun. Can I afford both?

• Posted April 16, 2016 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

There will be more setters in London as they come to the pub after having a free lunch.

• Sparks
        Posted April 24, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Hi BD. I thought that there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch, so I’m wondering if we have to wash the dishes.

• Posted April 16, 2016 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I think that you can, Dutch. :yes:

• dutch
      Posted May 16, 2016 at 7:50 am | Permalink

I’ll be there

10. Beet
    Posted May 6, 2016 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I can pop along after work around 6.30 hopefully to see whoever’s still standing.

• Posted May 6, 2016 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I hope to still be standing at 6:30!

• Verlaine
        Posted May 16, 2016 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a confession of being the kind of person who doesn’t drink hard enough, to me…

• Posted May 16, 2016 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Hey! I will just be pacing myself so as to be in good shape to fall over a few hours later.

Oh, and defectors are welcome. :)

• Verlaine
            Posted May 18, 2016 at 7:58 am | Permalink

It will be so nice to see you and your twin sister again Kitty, really looking forward to it.

11. Hoskins
    Posted May 6, 2016 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Looking forward to being there from around 14:30. If I’m not standing at the end, please package me up and post me home (shall keep mailing address in top pocket and reimburse postal costs at later date).

12. Verlaine
    Posted May 16, 2016 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Not only will I be there, I’ve taken the afternoon off work, so I’ll be there in a timely fashion. There’s loads more enthusiasm on here than there is in the equivalent post over at Times-Xwd-Times, that joyless lot… is it too late for me to defect?

Posted May 16, 2016 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

You’d better ask the rest of them but I’m jolly sure it’s never too late to defect.
      I really wish I could be there but I have a ‘house guest’ for three weeks in the form of a large black labrador – it’s really much too long to leave him and I’m already calling in favours tomorrow so that I can go and be a “proud Mummy” at my elder Lamb’s Open Day where she works.
      I do hope that you will all agree that I’ve got my priorities right!

13. Starhorse (from Pulham)
    Posted May 18, 2016 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Have tickets, will travel, hope to be there around 2.30, Virgin trains permitting. Look forward to meeting everyone.

14. paso doble
    Posted May 23, 2016 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

We’ll be there…

15. tilsit
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Off to the station! Se you all later

16. micawber
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Hmm, will anyone stlll be there at 8.30 when I knock off work?

17. pommette
    Posted May 24, 2016 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Hope you’re all still standing!

• Posted May 25, 2016 at 1:12 am | Permalink

Still standing even now! Just home. I hope to meet you and pommers at an S&B soon.

18. Beet
    Posted May 25, 2016 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Good to see everyone and to meet some new people.