Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty *** – Enjoyment ****

Our news and our thoughts are focused on the people of Fiji. A few days ago they had a direct hit from a strength 5 cyclone. The most intense one ever recorded in this part of the world. It caused widespread devastation and only now, as people are able to make contact with more remote areas, is the true extent of the damage becoming apparent. Some of our family lived there for several years and we have visited a few times so we have a special feeling for the Fijians.
At home our summer continues much as we have been reporting lately with the beautiful weather still with us.
Jay in his inimitable good form once again today.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts.

1a     Argue about details of parish list to be circulated (5,5)
SPLIT HAIRS: An anagram (to be circulated) of PARISH LIST.

6a     Nibbled, accepting a lure (4)
BAIT : A word meaning nibbled includes A from the clue.

9a     Lack of sense in position that’s open (7)
VACANCY : Double definition. The first is the appearance manifested by someone showing a lack of sense.

10a     Plan to reduce lighting around site of Taj Mahal (7)
DIAGRAM : A three letter word meaning to make a light less bright surrounds the geographical location of the Taj Mahal.

12a     Aunt Sally‘s cattle with a sense of humour (8,5)
LAUGHING STOCK : A word describing cattle or other domesticated animals follows a word for expressing a sense of humour.

14a     Everything depends on this quality attributed to openers (8)
KEYSTONE : The openers are the sort you would use to unlock a door, and then a word for a quality.

15a     Mother’s back with father in France — a physicist (6)
AMPERE : Reverse a familiar term for a mother and add the French word for a father.

17a     Tabloid in credit (almost) — how sad! (6)
TRAGIC : A three letter derogatory name for a tabloid newspaper is inside a word for credit or deferred payment with its last letter removed.

19a     Perfect order for sweet? (5-3)
APPLE-PIE : Double definition. The second meaning is a dessert made with fruit and pastry.

21a     Confront a challenge of rotten teeth but be ill (4,3,6)
BITE THE BULLET : An anagram (rotten) of TEETH BUT BE ILL.

24a     Person much attracted to another married drunk (7)
ADMIRER : An anagram (drunk) of MARRIED.

25a     Report of rifles recently pinched (7)
GUNSHOT : A word that describes something recently stolen follows a generic word for firearms.

26a     Reverse a touch to get information (4)
DATA : A from the clue and a word meaning a touch or a small amount. Now it all gets reversed.

27a     Corrupt guide with a second bearer (4,6)
LEAD ASTRAY : A verb meaning to guide, then A from the clue, the abbreviation for a second and something on which things are carried.

1d     Unionist thrown out of sophisticated bar (4)
SAVE : Remove the abbreviation for unionist from a word meaning sophisticated or debonair.

2d     Money must keep accountant in the neighbourhood (7)
LOCALLY : The abbreviation for a chartered accountant is included in a colloquial word for money.

3d     Difficult words to say ensure twit got confused (6-7)
TONGUE-TWISTER : An anagram (confused) of ENSURE TWIT GOT.

4d     A night out across the city? Whatever (8)
ANYTHING : An anagram (out) of A NIGHT has included in it an abbreviation for a well known US city.

5d     Gas attack planned by air (5)
RADON : ‘By air’ tells us that we have a ‘sounds like’ clue. The first part sounds like an attack, and then planned or due to happen.

7d     First-class part needed to cover hospital vent (7)
AIRHOLE : The two letter expression meaning first class and then a part in a play includes the abbreviation for hospital.

8d     Perhaps watch the enemy and respect the Queen (10)
TIMEKEEPER : What is proverbially known as ‘the enemy’, then a word meaning respect or maintain and the Queen.

11d     Gathering tall stories about new areas of production (8,5)
ASSEMBLY LINES : A synonym for a gathering is followed by tall stories or untruths that include N(ew).

13d     Personal transport needed to put fish on slab? (10)
SKATEBOARD : The fish is a type of ray, and then a word for a slab or plank. We guess this is not regularly used by most of our solvers.

16d     Scottish league, formerly encouraged, spent extravagantly (8)
SPLURGED : The initials for the football league that became outdated in 2013 is followed by a word meaning encouraged.

18d     Endeavour shown by office worker welcomed by a disheartened typist (7)
ATTEMPT : An office worker who is not on the permanent staff is surrounded by A from the clue and the first and last letters of typist.

20d     Person who might throw a large vessel (7)
PITCHER : A double definition. The first might be standing on the mound in a baseball game.

22d     Bottom of the lake is spooky (5)
EERIE : ‘Bottom of the’ is the last letter of ‘the’, and then one of the American Great Lakes.

23d     Check answer in pen (4)
STAY : The pen is one where you might find a pig, and includes the abbreviation for answer.

We had great problems deciding which of the long clues we liked best and eventually settled for our last one to work out, 13d.

Quickie pun    inner   +   surely   =   initially

Posted February 24, 2016 at 11:06 am | Permalink

2*/4*. Totally enjoyable from start to finish. 10a was my pick of a very fine bunch. Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

2. Spook
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 11:36 am | Permalink

sending this from my new laptop no more struggling with ipad. Particularly good crossword today lots of enjoyable clues and a few brain teasers. favourite clue 12a. lovely day in North Cornwall the other half is busy in her greenhouse.
    Man thanks to 2 Kiwis and to Jay for another entertaining crossword.

Posted February 24, 2016 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Thanks to Jay, and to 2Kiwis for the review.

4. Miffypops
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Ta very Mutch Jay. Ta very much each K. Not a lot to trouble us today. Those who use anagrams as an entry or starting point to cryptic crossword puzzles will have 28.301886% of this puzzle solved but no checkers in ten of the clues.

• Jose
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

MP. What’s a “checker” in a clue, please? I’ve never heard that term before. It is a real term – not some very arcane pun? Sorry if it’s already in the FAQs.

• Miffypops
        Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Jose. Checkers are the letters that you already have written in. At one across today they are S-L-T-A-R-S They help to solve other clues especially if the give the first letter to a word. Sometimes the only way to solve a clue is to find a word that fits with the checkers and work backwards to the clue to see if it fits the definition or the wordplay. We call those answers bungitins. If it fits bung it in.

• Jose
          Posted February 25, 2016 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Thank you MF and S. I would call S-L-T-A-R-S a partial answer and now I know that the letters in there are checkers. I’m always bunging answers in because they fit and look promising – then checking back to see if the wordplay fits the answer. Kinda topsy-turvy to what you’re supposed to do. But, as long as they’re right, they all count! I’m sure everybody does it – but maybe one or two would never admit it.

• Senf
        Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Jose – Not in FAQs (as far as I can tell). But, look in the Crossword Guide in the Cryptic Crossword tab above. Essentially, checkers are letters ‘shared’ by an across and a down solution. So, if you have the across solution, you have some of the letters in the down solution. I suppose the theory is that makes it easier to solve the down clue!

5. Jane
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Slow to get 14a – had a horrible feeling it was going to be a ‘cricket’ clue – so 13d was my last one in as I was short of the magic checking letter. Guesswork for the first three letters of 16d but turned out that I had actually heard of it!
    Most enjoyable solve and, like 2Ks, I could put any one of the long answers into pole position. I’ll settle for a top three of 21a plus 11&13d.
    Many thanks to Jay and also to 2Ks. Such a dire situation in Fiji – a place I’ve always wanted to visit.

• Miffypops
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Hello Jane. You should pat yourself on the back for recognising that openers could refer to cricket. It didn’t in this case but it might have.

6. Shropshirelad
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

A nicely set puzzle from the Wednesday Wizard. Good surfaces and constructions as you would expect and fun along the way.

Thanks to Jay for the puzzle and to the 2K’s for their blog. Through my Armed Forces and Rugby connections, I have quite a few Fijian friends. My thoughts are with them and their families.

Today’s toughie is a milestone for Kcit – It is well worth a go to find it’s hidden message

Edit – Hurrah, managed to spel mi name corektly today

• Hanni
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Impeccable spelling SL

7. Senf
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

A tale of two parts with a slow start and only about a third completed before lights out last night. Then, this morning it was almost a write in to complete it. Only electronic assistance needed was to look up the location of the Taj Mahal. Favourite 12a. Thanks to Jay for another very good puzzle and to the the 2Ks for another good review.

• Miffypops
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

You have me baffled Senf. How did India help with 10ac?

• Senf
        Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

MP – you have me confused, not sure where your reference to India comes from. I googled the ‘site of the Taj Mahal’ and got Agra to fit in the three letter word for reducing lighting.

• Miffypops
          Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I got ASIA

• Senf
            Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks. Did that help in solving the clue?

• Hanni
              Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

As he’s capitalised it I wonder if he’s referring to Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans or the American Sheep Industry Association? No idea how that fits with the Taj Mahal but you never know.

• Rabbit Dave
                Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I thought the Taj Mahal was in Whitechapel but I couldn’t make that fit. :wacko:

• Senf
                  Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Is the beer good there? :smile: :good:

• Hanni
                  Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

You need to apply the Santorini rule. If an answer doesn’t fit, just write really small or add extra boxes, then Whitechapel would work.

• Weekendwanda
            Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Why Asia? If you put Asia then your 7d is wrong. I thought you were being naughty and thinking of another windy vent but one letter short!

• Miffypops
              Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Blimey WeekendWanda. That makes this puzzle interesting. There are Taj Mahals all over the place, mostly curry houses

Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

I agree wth the rating and it was very enjoyable with some clever clues such as 25a, 12a and my favourite 13d.
    Must have been on the setters wavelength as I didn’t need any clues explained ?
    Thx to all

• Miffypops
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

It is nice to see you back Brian. I hope all has gone well these last few days.

Posted February 24, 2016 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Welcome back, Brian, we missed you.

9. Hanni
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

For those of us that like anagrams 28.301886% of this puzzle went in straight away. Fortunately the other 71.698114% followed quite quickly. And wasn’t if fun. 6a and 10 were rather nice but the favourite goes to 14a.

Toughie time.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for a great blog. Horrible situation in Fiji.

10. Angel
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

SE corner last to go in mainly because In 19a I was looking for a candy rather than a pudding so came up with bullseye. I would niggle a bit about 1d – can it really mean bar? Initially I plumped for uncanny in 9a without being able to parse it. All in all I made life difficult for myself so didn’t find the whole a bundle of joy. Fav was 12a. Thanks Jay and the 2Ks. ***/***. :neutral: The situation in Fiji is heart-rending.

• Weekendwanda
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Bar one/save one? I tend to agree with you as I would say “save for”as an alternative to “bar”

11. Young Salopian
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

10 across and 16 down my two favourites in this excellent Jay puzzle, with 10 across just beating the down clue by a short head. Nothing to dislike and much to praise in this one, although it was over a little too quickly.

2*/4* seems about right, with grateful thanks to the aforementioned and the 2Ks for their top review.

12. Gwizz
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable challenge from Jay, although I did make things difficult for myself by putting BULLS EYE for 19a.
    1a was my favourite and 2/3* overall.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2K’s.

• Weekendwanda
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Bull’s eye order?

• hoofityoudonkey
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Eek Bullseye is wrong?????
      No wonder I am struggling in the se corner….

• 2Kiwis
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Bulls eye was our first thought for 19a too, but soon corrected. Cheers.

• Jane
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

We had Bulls Eye very recently – that’s probably why it was the first thought to occur.

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted February 24, 2016 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

If you look hard enough, you can still find repeats of Bullseye on obscure TV channels.
        “You were utter crap at darts, but here is what you might have won, if you had been any good”…cue a floozy wheeling in a caravan.

• Jose
      Posted February 25, 2016 at 11:18 am | Permalink

G. Yes, I too bunged in BULLS EYE for 19a – the wrong type of sweet, alas!

13. omar
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle…..14a was my last in and I struggled to understand 1d despite having got it (not sure why)….I particularly liked 21a…..

14. Peta Jackson
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Mum and I struggled with some of this, but that made the ones we did get even sweeter!

15. Mycall
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

It just shows that it pays to persevere. I have now completed six crosswords this year without any help from this site. This equals my total for the whole of 2015! Thank you all so much for your help and encouragement.

• Hilary
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Makes finding BD’s gang all worthwhile. I know exactly how you feel unused to sort-of finish crossword and even when I looked at the answers the next day they did not always mean anything. Your confidence will increase and everyone here is ready to help. :good:

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted February 24, 2016 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Just wait until I finish my first one without hints…

Posted February 24, 2016 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable,as usual from our Wednesday setter. No huge stand-outs for me though I did rather like 13D. Thanks Jay and K2.

17. Jaylegs
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay for a lovely puzzle, quite tricky in places ***/**** :scratch: Lots of good clues but 10a & 12a are my favourites. Thanks to the 2 x Ks for the nice blog :bye:

Posted February 24, 2016 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle from Jay as usual. Must’ve been on the right wavelength straight away, no problems. Nice to see a couple of science clues in 15a&5d. I laughed when I got 2d,but my favourite was 16d, what a great word. Last in was 10a. Was 2*/3* for me. Lovely day again in Central London.

Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Went down the same path as Gwizz in 19a,which slowed me down in the SE corner.
    The rest was straightforward and very enjoyable.
    Favourite is 25a.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis for the review.

• Framboise
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Hi Jean-Luc! Going back to Hyėres next Monday, see you soon…

20. Weekendwanda
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

It seems we are as one. I agree! Very enjoyable indeed. Finished today due to another train journey. I cannot say how long but most completed but NE corner was left. I returned at lunchtime and completed the said NE corner without difficulty. Last one in was 8d. I was on the wrong track but once I got 10 and 15 all was crystal clear. Favourites 10a as the site of Taj Mahal was easy to fathom, 19a for being clever and simple and 11d once I got it which was only after I got the checkers (see earlier posts) from 10 and 15. Bravo. I expect that Jean-Luc was quicker on the physicist than me.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Hi weekendwanda,
      Specially that in France we never use the abbreviation when it comes to the electrical unit.

• Miffypops
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I don’t know how you can call things crystal clear when you cannot tell us how long your train journey took. Even if you were on the wrong track.

• Weekendwanda
        Posted February 25, 2016 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Because it would break the rule of not telling how long it took! I believe, and will be corrected if I am wrong, that the reason is it would encourage some to brag and others to feel crushed and give up!

21. Hilary
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis for yet another delightful Wednesday treat. I have to own up to a bit of scribbling in the margin because I have not yet conquered vertical anagrams but one day i will. Too many goodies to pick from but 19a high on list – no I did not fall into bullseye trap. :bye:

Posted February 24, 2016 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle, completed with no problems. Funny old setter is Jay; sometimes I sweat out trying just to get a foothold, other times I whizz through them.
    I didn’t know the Scottish league but it was so obvious.
    Loved 14a, 12a and 21a, but can’t choose a fave.
    Thanks to Jay, and to 2Kiwis for their hints. I agree, poor Fijiians, that storm must have flattened their little islands.

23. silvanus
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

An extremely polished and professional puzzle as one would expect, with no repeat indicators this time too as far as I could see.

Nothing to cause too much difficulty, favourite clues were 1d and 5d.

Many thanks to Mr. Mutch and to the 2Kiwis.

24. mre
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everybody.

Thought this was an excellent back page puzzle, the best for some time. Favourites were probably 9a and 10a. Not convinced that 19a is a sweet but perhaps that’s 1a.

• Angel
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

I’m with you on 19a as per my Comment 10 above.

• Weekendwanda
        Posted February 25, 2016 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Perhaps it is a regional thing. In the East Midlands it is dessert if you are posh, otherwise sweet, pudding or afters. When I was young it was a sweet whereas sweets (e.g. Bull’s eyes) were toffees (pronounced tuffys)

25. Vancouverbc
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

**/****. I really enjoyed this once I got going. The best clue for me was 10a. Our weather is spring like and the mountains are still white capped against a clear blue sky. Delightful. We’ll be walking the dogs along crescent beach today – you’d love that! Thanks to the setter and the 2Ks for the review.

26. Kate
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Hi: I am just relearning how to complete the cryptic puzzle now that I have retired and have the time. Is there any way I can print out the answers without having to click on each individual clue. I want to use the answers to help me with the solving. Many thanks

• 2Kiwis
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the site Kate.
      Sorry but our technical skills are not up to helping you with your question but someone else might pop in to help you there.

• Posted February 24, 2016 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

As far as I’m aware that is not possible without, as you say, clicking on each individual answer.

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted February 24, 2016 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

Disable scripting in your browser? I assume that the answers bit works via a bit of Javascript

Posted February 24, 2016 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle, in the Goldilocks territory .Thanks to Jay and The two Kiwis.
    News of the Fijian cyclone hasn’t reached these shores , at least in the media I have been following.I know nothing about Fiji , other than they play rugby and it is very beautiful tropical place.I hope they have the kind of government that can organize relief quickly.

Posted February 24, 2016 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Good morning everyone. Cloud is hiding our sunrise this morning but if the forecast is correct that will clear away for another warm summer’s day. Looks like we got everything right in our hints which is always a relief when we turn on our computer on a Thursday morning. Cheers. :bye:

• stanXYZ
      Posted February 25, 2016 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

2Kiwis, many thanks for the blog!

Nearly everything right but … 19a is a “dessert” not a “desert” or maybe it’s different in NZ?

• stanXYZ
        Posted February 25, 2016 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Just deserts – does that mean that there are no cheese and biscuits?

• 2Kiwis
        Posted February 25, 2016 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Thanks Stan. How on earth did we miss that!!! :wacko:
        We just could not let that error sit there glaring at us so have now corrected it and apologies if it does rather make people wonder what you comment is about, so a flower for you. :rose:

29. Framboise
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Hello everyone! Have been doing the Cryptic every day but have been too busy to comment… Made a bit of a dog’s dinner out of the SE corner. My 19a being bulls eye, I went completely doolally with 16d, 25a and 20d. Thank goodness the 2Kws put me right. Redeemed myself, however, with solving ampere straight away. Apologies to Jay for not making a better job of his excellent puzzle. 3*/4*. 10a was my favourite probably because I immediately thought of Agra – we were bowled over by the beauty of the Taj Mahal we visited very early one winter morning a few years ago…

30. Killer Watts
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

After a somewhat difficult first hour, happy to say this came together nicely, with none to check. I concur with the 2 Ks ratings.
    My favourite today was 8 down.

31. Paso Doble
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Late in today as we have been to Greenwich with our French visitor, touring the maritime sights. Bit slow to get going but thoroughly enjoyed this Jay puzzle. Many thanks to our Wednesday setter and to the 2Ks. **/*** from us.

32. Jon_S
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Another good midweek puzzle. The NW corner felt a little tougher than the rest, and only fell when I eventually twigged that 1ac was, yes, indeed an anagram.

33. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Good game, good game…
    Hints needed to complete,but a great learning exercise.
    Love it!!!

• HoofItYouDonkey
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to 2K’s for the hints :good:

34. Bluebell
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

First time I have failed to finish for a while. Convinced myself that 19a was “bulls eye” which made the south east corner impossible to solve.

35. TheTeesdale2
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Slightly nervous to write, as we have been following this site for a long time without commenting. But always enjoy the posts. Look forward to contributing. If we’re spared!

Posted February 24, 2016 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog. Do keep commenting, we are all very friendly here

• 2Kiwis
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Welcome from us too. It looks from your name that you work on the puzzles as a pair much like we do. We look forward to following you comments now you are out of the cupboard. Cheers.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted February 24, 2016 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me as well TT2 – love to see new people on the blog. :good:

As CS has said, we are friendly – just a bit mad (I’m only referring to myself of course) :yes:

36. TheTeesdale2
    Posted February 24, 2016 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks crypticsue! We have enjoyed this blog for 7 years and it has enabled us to fully appreciate the vagaries of the Telegraph crossword. We look forward to contributing!

37. Kitty
    Posted February 25, 2016 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Another accomplished puzzle from our wonderful Wednesday wordsmith. I don’t have a particular pet clue today. I was half way through looking up the former Scottish league when I realised how obvious it was. Bulls eye would not have occurred to me so that was no problem. All in all it was very enjoyable and just hard enough to be satisfying.

The misery in the world doesn’t bear thinking about.

38. Tstrummer
    Posted February 25, 2016 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Another marvellous offering from the master.
    Solved while on the train that didn’t go to my station again. Nothing is guaranteed to put me in an ill frame of mind than waiting for a night bus on the wrong side of the tracks in the freezing (literally) cold. My 20-minute journey home took and an hour and a quarter. And I’ve got to be up at sparrow’s in the morning for the Australians and I’ve done no homework.
    Too many good’uns to pick a favourite, no quibbles and a joy all round. Ta to Jay and the Ks. 1*/4*

39. Jose