Hints and tips by Kitty

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ***

Warmest greetings, my fellow crossworders.  I do hope that today finds you happy and content.

I enjoyed blogging last week so much that I have come back for more.  I can reassure you that our usual Monday blogger is safe and well and in no way forcibly prevented from doing the hints.

Thanks to Rufus, who has provided us with his classic Monday mix which didn’t give me many hold-ups.

The definitions are underlined in the clues below. The answers are hidden under the ANSWER boxes. The “click here!” is not an instruction but an option – click to reveal the answer should you wish.

Do leave a comment telling us how you found it and what you thought.

1a    Saint George, shocked by such discrimination (11)
SEGREGATION: To kick us off, we nag a ram.  The letters in SAINT GEORGE are messed up (shocked)

9a    Device preventing leaves from spreading around (5,4)
PAPER CLIP: Classic Monday clue type number two.  A cryptic definition, the key being that these leaves are made of paper

10a    Yet it provides academic standing (5)
CHAIR: A professorship, or non-academic bog-standard seating

11a    Study painting externally, being passionate (6)
ARDENT: One of the usual two crosswordland studies (the room), with painting (or something of its ilk) around the outside of it (externally)

12a    Plants for sycophants (8)
CREEPERS: Double definition (though the second would more usually be seen without the 6th and 7th letters)

13a    A speaker returning brief thanks amid golden words (6)
ORATOR: A short word of thanks backwards (returning) inside (amid) two instances of the heraldic golden

15a    Time for breakfast food (8)
PORRIDGE: Two definitions.  One is stir, the other something you would stir

18a    Cars go for service (8)
MINISTRY: Cars of a popular marque and a go or attempt.  The service is vocational

19a    Catch the blame after net is damaged (6)
ENTRAP: Blame or censure after an anagram (damaged) of NET

21a    Length that boxers will go to, to avoid KO? (8)
DISTANCE: Spatial extent, or the full number of rounds in a boxing match which a boxer will go if fighting a whole bout without being knocked out

23a    Time when all assets were frozen? (3,3)
ICE AGE: A period where a great part of the earth’s surface was under ice.  Not sure about the all or the assets, but the question mark allows some licence.

More info

Glaciologically, ice age is often used to mean a period of ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres; by this definition we are still in an ice age (because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist).

More colloquially, when speaking of the last few million years, ice age is used to refer to colder periods with extensive ice sheets over the North American and Eurasian continents: in this sense, the most recent ice age ended about 10,000 years ago.

From: http://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/ice_age.htm

26a    Expect a hold-up (5)
AWAIT: A from the clue and then delay

27a    On a charge after disturbance in port (9)
ANCHORAGE: The letters in ON A CHARGE, after disturbance – of the type that would nag a ram.  Also, a city in Alaska, pictured

28a    Evocative of not long ago with short skirts being in (11)
REMINISCENT: Take a word meaning a short time ago and insert (with … being in) the short skirts that share their name with the cars above

1d    Parson crazed with love for a trebly gifted female (7)
SOPRANO: An anagram (crazed) of parson, then the letter that denotes zero or love

2d    Space-man yawned (5)
GAPED: A space and then a short form of a male name

3d    Wrong, or sure one is wrong (9)
ERRONEOUS: The fodder is OR SURE ONE IS, and the definition is the same as the anagram indicator.  They are both wrong.  Everything is wrong:

4d    Flags and sail will need adjusting (4)
AILS: This is one of our clues to annoy a male sheep and it has only four letters that will need adjusting: those of SAIL

5d    Popular individual is actually present (2,6)
IN PERSON: The most popular word for popular in crosswords followed by a human

6d    Recess in pleasant hospital (5)
NICHE: In a word for pleasant, insert the abbreviation for hospital

7d    Predict vocal quartet will go to Ely perhaps (7)
FORESEE: A word that sounds like (vocal) quartet and then what Ely is an example of, ecclesiastically speaking

8d    Perfume the French sell with hesitation (8)
LAVENDER: Put together one of the French words for the, an English one for sell and, um, a hesitation

14d    One who can’t remember me, as I can recollect (8)
AMNESIAC: ME AS I CAN is re-collected

16d    Unexpectedly meet resistance – woman in angry mood (3,6)
RUN ACROSS: The symbol for electrical resistance, then a three-letter name that should appear in due course below the line in the comments.  I hope she is not in an angry mood, but in any case that annoyed state of mind accounts for the final bit of the answer

17d    Declare in favour of petitioner’s cause (8)
PROCLAIM: Split (3,5) this would mean for [an] application

18d    Urchin lad wandering in gloom (7)
MUDLARK: An anagram (wandering) of LAD inside (in) a lovely word for gloom.  (Well, I like it!)  An archaic term for someone who scavenges in river mud for items of value, especially those who scavenged this way in London during the late 18th and 19th centuries.  Also, a bird, pictured

20d    Make an introduction  here and now (7)
PRESENT: Two definitions.  A third would be a gift, in more than one sense

22d    Tears shed for Flora (5)
ASTER: The flora is a genus of flowering plants, an anagram (shed) of TEARS

24d    Knowing a monarch should be held in high regard? (5)
AWARE: A from the clue and the one letter abbreviation for a king or queen, all inside (should be held in) reverence or veneration

25d    Take a look at part of Tuscany (4)
SCAN: A lurker – it’s hidden in (part of) the final word

The final word is yours.  As is usual for a Monday I’ll be busy all afternoon, so I’ll “see” you this evening.  Be good!

1. Paso Doble
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Lovely Rufus Monday morning with his usual charm and style */***
    Thanks to Kitty for the blog,

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:55 am | Permalink

My thoughts exactly!

Great blog, Kitty, but, oh dear – unless you are American, licence is a noun and license is a verb. :negative:

• Kitty
        Posted January 18, 2016 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Posted January 18, 2016 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

I’ve lived in America for 40 years and I still get into trouble here. They use just one spelling to cover both nouns and verbs and I can never remember which one it is!

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted January 18, 2016 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

My aide memoire is to think of advice (noun) and advise (verb) which are at least pronounced differently. Then you know the “c” version is the noun, e.g. licence, practice.

Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

I know that, but which one do they use in America to cover both nouns and verbs? I did medical transcription and woe and betide me if I used the wrong one, it was swiftly rejected as a spelling mistake! “Don’t you have a spell checker?” How do you explain that there is a different spelling for nouns and verbs, as in device and devise, but then I’m told that they sound different! It’s the same rule, isn’t it?

• Paso Doble
              Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Our local 24 hour shop describes itself as an ‘Off license’.

• Paso Doble
                Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Practice and Practise is another one in the good old USA….They are both spelt the same. Guess which!!!
                Even spelt or spelled……the list goes on.

Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

So there is confusion in UK, too. From early schooldays, and I mean early, we had it beaten into us. I think they were more picky years ago.

• Kitty
        Posted January 18, 2016 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

What a lot of discussion a little typo* spawned!

I do the same as RD if I forget which is practice and which is practise, for e.g. As for remembering which the Americans use, I usually go by which feels less “right” to me and that seems to do it! Otherwise, you could think that the s’s that don’t get used in the American -ize suffix find a home in these words (I don’t know where the displaced c’s go – perhaps they somehow morph into z’s to complete the circle). Something like that.

*Yes – a typo. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Anyway, I have an edit button and am not afraid to use it!

• Jose
          Posted January 19, 2016 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Never mind Kitty, when I was younger I used to get these words mixed up – there’s quite a few of them where ‘c’ is the noun and ‘s’ is the verb form. I resolved it years ago by a simple mnemonic – if you remember that c for n(oun) comes alphabetically before s for v(erb), you’ll never forget. Or even simpler – c for n and s for v are all consecutive in the alphabet. Well it worked for me! We all have these spelling idiosyncrasies – whilst I’ve never had a problem with ceilidh; even today (at well over 60) I still have problems with yatch, er, or is it yaucht, or maybe yahct……… :wacko:

2. dutch
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Many thanks Kitty for a lovely blog.

I hadn’t come across 18d before. All over way too quickly, enjoyed all the typical Rufus clues like Space-man yawned (2d), Yet it provides academic standing (10a) and many more.

Many thanks Rufus.

3. Angel
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Thanks Rufus for letting us off lightly on a Monday morning and Kitty i have enjoyed reading more of your perspicacious hints. Liked 9a, 10a and 12a. **/***.

4. Angel
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Am wondering whether Paul Wisken, the wizard who broke the code on a cosmetic box for the Antiques Roadshow, is one of BD’s bloggers? :question:

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Great minds, Angel. I had exactly that thought too when reading the article in today’s DT.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

Well it wasn’t me Angel and there is nobody in The Gallery that looks like the fellow in the photo. But who knows? Who really knows?

• Kitty
        Posted January 18, 2016 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

How did you escape? ;)

• mre
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I wondered that too. Very clever anyway.

5. Miffypops
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I solved in the early hours but fell asleep with three to go. I managed to put AWAKE in K for King instead of R for Rex at 24d. Silly me. I hope JLC is happy with the Rugby result Yesterday. Coventry’y second team were so nearly there.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

It was really a last minute victory.
      Let’s hope they will do better against Bath this weekend.

6. Michael
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable – I got about two-thirds through it and came to a bit of a standstill – a couple of hours absence refreshed my little grey cells and I managed to get through it – with a little help from my Wordsearch program.

Good workout for a Monday morning!

7. Beaver
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Monday, toast and marmalade, tea and Rufus, all’s right with the world-well not quite! a */***.very pleasant solve for me , heard of a mudlark previously, but apart from the bird , didn’t know its origins-thanks Kitty, 10a my favourite; still miserable in Cheshire.

• Michael
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

There was an old British film called ‘the Mudlark’ with Alec Guinness as Disraeli and Irene Dunn as Queen Victoria – a young Andrew Ray played a boy who worked as a scavenger on the Thames foreshore who had a desire to see the Queen – it was a cracker!

8. Jane
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Mostly R&W with the exception of the SW corner where I had to dig deep into the memory bank to come up with 18d and was slow off the mark with 18a.
    Favourite was 21a – doubly so, given the Kitty clip!
    Thanks to Rufus for a gentle start to the week and to Kitty for a great blog – nice to see you back again so soon. :good:

Posted January 18, 2016 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the review and hints. A very nice start to the week, a bit on the gentle side. Great fun though. Favourite was 9a, also liked 18d, last in was 4d.Was 1*/3* for me. Completed sitting by the lake in Parliament Hill.

10. Peta
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

A gently amusing start tot the week for mum and I. Definitely a chocolate biscuit day. Mum’s GP gave her a dementia test last week, she rocked it! A page full of puzzles every day is prophylactic.

11. geoff marbella
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Do not understand what 4D has to do with sheep. So few anagrams of sails. Please help.

• Maeve
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

annoy a male sheep = nag a ram, i.e., an anagram of sail which is ails for flags

• Kitty
        Posted January 18, 2016 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks for explaining, Maeve.

Geoff – perhaps I should speak more plainly, but I have to use the word “anagram” so many times that I try and mix it up a bit. Last week I confined myself to using the word only once in the hints. (And that was a day it appeared 13 times in the comments!) This week I was going to run with the “nag a ram” thing instead of using the word, but decided against it in the end. Incidentally, this is what Google asks you if you meant if you search for “anagram.”

12. stanXYZ
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Nice and easy does it.

A very entertaining blog from Kitty for which many thanks.

The cat in the clip for 21a doesn’t seem to be a southpaw!

13. silvanus
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

As typical a Rufus puzzle as it is possible to get, full of his usual trademarks and superbly crafted of course.

I’ll go for the two clues involving “minis” as my favourites, i.e. 18a and 28a.

Many thanks to Mr. Squires and to Kitty.

Posted January 18, 2016 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Lovely Monday puzzle, right up my Strasse.
    I didn’t know the word for urchin at 18d, had to look that one up, otherwise it all went pretty smoothly.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for her most entertaining blog, particularly for the clip at 21a!

15. Vancouverbc
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

*/***. Over very quickly but enjoyable. Liked 2d the best. Thanks to the setter and Kitty for the review.

16. Jaylegs
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Nice gentle stroll in the park where perhaps we might see a treecreeper but probably not a Mudlark, although goodness knows we have had enough rain! :wink: */** Thanks to Kitty and to Rufus for an enjoyable Monday solve :good: Liked 18a, 8d & 18d :yahoo:

Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Typical Monday Rufus.
    Liked the anagram in 1a and the “space man” in 2d.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for the colourful review.

• Kitty
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

Interesting that you should call the review “colourful,” Jean-Luc. In fact, I restricted my colour palette in the pictures because of today’s date.

(I didn’t mention it because it has its roots in meaningless PR drivel, but was still drawn to include the pictorial mini-theme and see if anyone would notice.)

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted January 18, 2016 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

It’s the blue thing. Favourite colour. That’s the first thing that came to mind when I read the review. Spooky!

• Jane
          Posted January 18, 2016 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Well done, JL. I had to go online to find out what on earth Kitty was talking about! Actually – my Blue Monday hasn’t been too bad!

• Kitty
          Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

JL, you win today’s prize. It is the chair that didn’t make it into the blog:

(Edit: it seems picture embedding in comments is one of the features that didn’t survive after last week. Oh well.)

Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

All very enjoyable , fun without too much head scratching.I liked 16d best, being the girl in question and no I am not in an angry mood at all.But I am slightly bothered as we had booked an Air B+B accommodation last night for a family holiday and we have been gazumped. I didn’t know that could happen.
    Thanks to Rufus and Kitty.

Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Gentle fun. Everything we expect to see on a Monday.
    Thanks Rufus and Kitty.

20. Young Salopian
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

1*/3* for this entertaining Rufus Monday puzzle. Over far too quickly, but still enjoyed the clueing. Favourite was 27 across. Many thanks to the aforementioned and Kitty for an entertaining post-solve read.

21. mre
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Good evening everybody

All very straightforward but not especially quick with SW corner requiring a bit of head scratching, Favourites were 21a and the 18s. Into three star time I think so

22. Shropshirelad
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Yep, must be Monday – nothing to scare the nags and over far too quickly. Pretty much a R&W but I do think without the checkers, 10 & 23a definitions were a tad woolly. Also having Minis used in 18 & 28a across was a bit lazy even though the hints were different. Maybe I’m just being overly picky and for that I do apologise. 15a did raise a smile.

Thanks to Rufus for the puzzle and to Kitty once again in the blogging chair.

Posted January 18, 2016 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Over all too soon, but plenty of smiles along the way: 1*/3.5*. One of the biggest smiles was prompted by my favourite clue – 18d. Thanks, Rufus, for a fine start to the week, and Kitty for an equally fine review. Your good wishes are appreciated, and warmly reciprocated.

24. Hrothgar
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

What a great puzzle.
    What a great blog.
    Many thanks.

25. Kitty
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Hi all. I’ve done some work, demolished plenty of food, and am now back. It seems you have been very well behaved in my absence. When I said be good, I didn’t mean that kind of good!

Thanks for all the kind comments. They make Kitty purr :yes: .

26. HoofItYouDonkey
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Game of two halves, I did the top half in about xx minutes, but some of the bottom half was utterly unfathomable without the hints.
    Thanks to the setter and to Kitty for the hints, though in some cases, I found that the hints needed hints!!

Posted January 18, 2016 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

We do not mention solving times in case we discourage others who take.longer, even for half a crossword!

• HoofItYouDonkey
        Posted January 18, 2016 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Ok, sorry.

• Paso Doble
          Posted January 18, 2016 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

we know exactly what you mean, Hoofit (if we may be so familiar – we absolutely love your moniker!). Sometimes we dash through the first part of the puzzle in a matter of minutes and think we are geniuses, only to ponder for ages over the rest – game of two halves, as you say.

27. Tstrummer
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

Yup, Good as usual for a Monday. One or two pauses for pondering but by and large all well. Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty. 1.5*/3*

28. weekendwanda
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

A quickie today but good nevertheless. Nicely balanced the long toil for Saturday’s prize crossword. Both enjoyable at opposite ends of the spectrum. Thanks Rufus and Kitty – especially the photo of Richard Beckinsale doing his time, stir, or porridge. Sadly he did not have enough time in real life but not forgotten.

• Kitty
      Posted January 18, 2016 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad you liked it. Spent ages searching for the perfect clip to use, when I should have been sleeping or getting some actual hints written.

29. Venator
    Posted January 18, 2016 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

A lovely mate in the pub tonight told me, “no point in your looking at todays crossword when you get home, you’ll find it far to easy”.
    He’s fairly new to cross wording & normally needs lots of hints & TLC to solve a tricky puzzle.
    Oh how he will appreciate a gentle offering such as our one today when he sees the light.
    As we all suspect, he must really had loved every minute of scribbling away, & at last being able to throw his biro at the paper & say “finished”.
    Bless him, & thanks to the setter & Kitty.

30. Cornishpasty
    Posted January 19, 2016 at 3:38 am | Permalink

SW corner was a long slog for me, the rest was an enjoyable romp. Last in was the urchin, 18d, found by using a thesaurus for gloom words. Although I’d heard of the bird, was not aware of its other usage. So I will rate a little harder than the rest of you, 3 and 4 for me.

31. Gwizz
    Posted January 19, 2016 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Belatedly I have finally caught up! A lovely Monday crossword from Rufus even when done on a Tuesday. The urchin at 18d was my favourite and overall 1.5/3*
    Thanks to Rufus and to Kitty for her excellent review.

32. Nan
    Posted February 20, 2016 at 7:36 am | Permalink

What on earth has a male sheep got to do with 4d???
    Otherwise a super puzzle. I did it all with a paper dictionary to confirm meanings, without looking at Dave for hints – only checked afterwards to see if I was correct. Very proud of myself.

• Kitty
      Posted February 20, 2016 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Hi Nan,

That was an ill-advised hint, continuing on from that for 1a. For the explanation, see comment 11.

Well done on your progress :good: .