Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty *** – Enjoyment ****

Just a couple of hours before writing this we had the privilege of walking our youngest grand-daughter Milly to school. This is just her third week there and she happily skips along beside us holding our hands. Yesterday she proudly brought home the Totally Terrific Me Bag that she had been awarded. Ah, the joys of being grandparents. We will miss them all when we go home again at the weekend.
Another fine puzzle from Jay once again, the solving time was right at the top end of *** difficulty for us today. Thankfully, a much easier Quickie pun to cope with than last week’s one.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on today’s puzzle.

1a     A line from subject welcoming king (6)
TROPIC : This line on a map is found by putting one of the abbreviations for a king inside a word for a subject.

5a     Fare available in Chinese boat? (4,4)
JUNK FOOD : A cryptic definition. The first word of the answer is a type of Chinese boat.

9a     The best nuts and biscuits (5,8)
CREAM CRACKERS : A synonym for nuts or slightly insane follows a word that describes the best.

10a     Permitted nieces to play in lido, oddly (8)
LICENSED : Lido oddly means the first and third letters, and inside this is an anagram (to play) of NIECES.

11a     Remains of empire award kept by Queen with courtiers, ultimately (6)
EMBERS : A three letter award or honour is inside the usual cipher for our queen, and lastly, the final letter of courtiers.

12a     Lass on mountain in part of Asia (6)
BENGAL The Gaelic word for a mountain is followed by an informal word for a girl or woman.

14a     Sponges coat covered in trophies (8)
CUPCAKES : A word for a thickly applied coat is put inside trophies such as the one raced for annually in Melbourne.
images

16a     Needles boss like crazy (8)
OBELISKS : Cleopatra’s one is probably the best known of these needles. An anagram (crazy) of BOSS LIKE.
images

19a     Dates and lemons originally stocked by fruit seller (6)
PEDLAR : A type of pipfruit includes the original letters from D(ates) and L(emons).

21a     A garden structure‘s look — and smell! (6)
GAZEBO : A word meaning to look at intensely and then a two letter lack of personal hygiene.
images

23a      Asks for searches on empty residence (8)
REQUESTS : Empty residence means its first and last letters and then a synonym for searches.

25a     Bighead lodger’s cooked breakfast? (4-6,3)
HARD-BOILED EGG : An anagram (cooked) of BIGHEAD LODGER.

26a     Fights interrupted by commercial for boring gadgets (8)
BRADAWLS : A two letter abbreviation for a commercial plug is inside some fights.
images

27a     Track designed to hold one vehicle (3-3)
KIT-CAR : This self-assembled vehicle is an anagram (designed) of TRACK with a Roman one included.

2d     Relax, seeing right European Community approach (7)
RECLINE : R(ight) E(uropean) C(ommunity), then a word meaning approach or strategy.

3d     Bit tart — cake with no filling (5)
PIECE : A word for a closed top tart and then the first and last letters of cake.

4d     A solecism, being dressed in such undergarments (9)
CAMISOLES : An anagram (being dressed) of A SOLECISM.

5d     Power mostly keeps clear of the law (7)
JURIDIC : A three letter word meaning clear or remove is inside an informal word for power with its last letter removed.

6d     Hospital in French resort aimed at specialist market (5)
NICHE : A Mediterranean city includes H(ospital).

7d     A shipping term for complimentary meals? (9)
FREEBOARD : Complimentary or costing nothing and the word that goes with ‘and lodgings’ for all-inclusive accommodation.

8d     Pay close attention to verbose drunk (7)
OBSERVE : An anagram (drunk) of VERBOSE.

13d     Plant information about aged staff (9)
GOLDENROD : A three letter word for information surrounds a word meaning aged and then add a word for a staff.
images

15d     Upstart‘s joke’s high point, according to Spooner? (9)
PIPSQUEAK : The jokes are short clever remarks and the high points could be mountains. Then do the Spooner thing.

17d     The girl’s after some underwear that’s more assertive (7)
BRASHER : The third person singular female possessive pronoun follows some supportive underwear.

18d     Makes an effort to load coach on board ship (7)
STRAINS : Coach here is a verb meaning to teach and is inside the steamship abbreviation.

20d     Drivers must repress dodgy gut in island (7)
ANTIGUA : A two letter motorists’ organisation is outside an anagram (dodgy) of GUT IN.

22d     Kind of lake unknown in old part of London (2-3)
OX-BOW : One of the mathematical unknowns follows O(ld) and then the part of London known for its bells.
images

24d     Proficient, but with no power to wield (5
EXERT : Find a word that means proficient or very capable and remove P from it.

We thought we were going to have a pangram. We do not know why (yes, pun intended) Jay didn’t finish it.
19a was our last to sort out and gets our vote for favourite.

Quick crossword pun     prone  +  hounds  =  pronouns

1. JonP
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:06 am | Permalink

The usual well clued puzzle from Jay which was a pleasure to solve. Thanks to him and the 2Kiwis */***

2. Wayne
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Needed the hints to explain 5d (a new word for me), apart from that all pretty straightforward. **/*** for me.
    Thanx to Compiler and the 2Kiwis for an excellent review.

3. George
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I thought this was a fair enough puzzle today. 20d held me up for a while as I did not fully understand what I was looking for – drivers or islands! Then I had to recall a few UK terms such as 9a which you would only find in a specialty store here in Canada – they are not called by this name here usually. Then when I saw the dreaded ‘spooner’ in 15d I had a brief sense of panic as I always struggle with such clues!

But it finished quite quickly despite these concerns – 2.5*/4* for me, I think.

Thanks to 2K and Jay.

• Angel
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

That’s rather like our Digestive biscuits which I believe have to be something else in the USA because they don’t necessarily aid “digestion” – trade description!

• Expat Chris
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I’ve never found an American version of British digestive biscuits here, Angel. I can get the Cadbury’s chocolate kind though, and they are called Digestives!

Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Hi Chris,
          Years ago, a friend from school recommended sandwiching together two choc. digestives (choc. sides together).
          Yummy – and tastes quite different to eating them singly. Goodness knows why! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Expat Chris
            Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Even better with ice cream in the middle!

Posted August 26, 2015 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

I bet it’s even better deep fried.

• Hanni
                Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

That’s just wrong…on every level.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

No, no, no! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Epicurean philistines – you have no idea how good that would be http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Have you tried it?

• Hanni
                    Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Epicurean? I’m deeply insulted. Much more Bacchanalian at heart.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

We can get MacVities (spelling?) here, aren’t they digestives?

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Merusa,
            McVities make the scrummy digestive biscuits – Cadburys produce the version with the chocolate on top.

• Angel
          Posted August 26, 2015 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

When I lived in USA many moons ago Chocolate Digestives didn’t exist even in the UK and Graham Crackers were the nearest one could get to Digestives however they were certainly not the same but they did work as a replacement when making the base for New York cheese-cakes, etc. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

4. dutch
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Interesting puzzle: first ones in were 11a and 7d, which didn’t seem very exciting, but the flavour soon changed. I love “commercial for boring gadgets” (26d), and I was well mislead by “sponges” (14a) and “power” (5d, last one in together with the lovely cd 5a). Took me a while to realise 4d was an anagram.

I really liked the “verbose drunk” (8d), the “look and smell” (21a), “needles boss like crazy” (16a) and the “track designed to hold one vehicle” (27a)

Very enjoyable, many thanks Jay and 2Kiwis

Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:12 am | Permalink

No great problems today but all a bit workmanlike. No standout clues either except for 5d which I thought a very poor clue indeed. If you are going to include weird words then the setter should clue it well which IMHO this one was not.
    For me **/**
    Thx to all
    PS is this a Pangram?

• Graham
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I can’t find a (Y) best go to spec savers!

6. Graham
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I thoroughly enjoyed this offering, & would agree with the ratings offered, not sure if I would have that style of 25A for breakfast but each to there own.It was absolutely bucketing down earlier & the gutters couldn’t cope, so much for a dry summer.Many thanks to the setter & the 2K’s for the review.?

7. Nev
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I agree with the 2 kiwi’s rating today. 7d held me up for a while. Particularly enjoyed 5 and 14a. Thanks to the 2 kiwi’s and Jay.

8. pommers
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:28 am | Permalink

The usual splendid Wednesday fare. I’ll go for **/****.

Never come across 5d, always thought it had AL on the end but apparantly both are OK. 16a was favourite, which is unusual as anagram clues aren’t top of my list, but this one works really well.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

9. overtaxed
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Agree with 2Ks assessment today. Some clues went straight in, but some of the rest were a struggle. Being slow to spot the anagram indicators didn’t help ( even when they should have been obvious such as 25a). I always struggle with Spoonerisms and thought 13d should have been two words. Nevertheless, very enjoyable, and 5 and 9a (first ones in) both raised a smile.
    Thanks to Jay, and 2Ks .

Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:44 am | Permalink

What a brilliant crossword – well, I thought so anyway. 2* difficulty and at least 4* for enjoyment – plenty of laughs which is what I always need.
    Having finished the crossword I spent almost as much time again playing “hunt the Y” – there really isn’t one and the Kiwis have confirmed that.
    11 and 19a were my last answers.
    I don’t think I’ve ever ‘met’ the 22d lake and I’ve never heard of 5d as a word or 7d as a shipping term.
    Re 3d one of our numerous cookery books is full of pie recipes – it’s called “Tarts with Tops on” which always makes me laugh.
    I liked nearly all of these clues but in particular 25a (although I agree with Graham that I wouldn’t have it for breakfast) and 3 and 8d. My favourite was 5a.
    With thanks and http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif to Jay and thanks and http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif to the Kiwis.
    What a night – very stormy with strong winds (our open bedroom window almost headed off for the fields) and torrential rain – still at it. Time to try the Toughie.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath,
      For once the geography lessons paid off for me re: 22d. I have a vivid memory of drawing endless diagrams of the formation of same!
      You’ll enjoy the Beam today – forget the garden for a while. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• George
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

It is not really a lake, in my opinion, but a section of a meandering river cut off where the river has eroded the bank and short circuited the flow.

• Theo Carter
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Re hunt the Y – perhaps the setter hoped we’d come up with an alternative spelling of 5d?

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

It’s a possibility, Theo – I didn’t know the word, yet alone know how to spell it!

11. Jane
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Thought I’d got something wrong when I realised this was only one letter short of a pangram – maybe that was Jay’s joke for the day?
    Only slight hold up was 5d – a new word for me and I hadn’t fully worked out the parsing.
    Proud of myself for dragging 26a out of the memory banks – always forget the first bit.
    Managed 15d without involving Mr. Spooner – so much easier to parse in retrospect!

A good few smiles in here – 5&9a vying for top slot. 2*/4* for me.
    Thanks to Jay and also to the proud grandparents – how lovely to have little Milly skipping along holding your hands. I’m really rather jealous!

Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Don’t forget it’s Mr. T in his Beam hat over on the other side. All the usual trademarks and I’ve completed it so it can’t be too hard! Still the odd bit of parsing to sort out but I really must get that ironing done…..http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Expat Chris
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Hmmm…I can hardly get started!

Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Just in case it helps – try leaving the two long ones alone for a while and work back towards them. At least, that’s what I had to do!

Posted August 26, 2015 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Oops – sorry Chris. Judging by the review and comments thus far, it’s just me having a ‘wavelength’ day. I’m delighted for myself, but apologise if I’ve led you up the garden path.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Well done Jane.
        Practice makes perfect.
        You’re an ace.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

12. Angel
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Initial thought was that this was going to be a killer but it was a case of softly, softly catchee monkey and ta da! All very enjoyable. ***/****. Thank you Jay and the 2 delighted Kiwi grandparents – how about a photograph? 5a and 9a amused. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this, though at the end I saw that I hadn’t checked anything off as a favorite. 14A was my last one in: I don’t think of cupcakes as sponges because the term ‘sponge cake” doesn’t exist here. Our cupcake batter is rather different. Thanks to Jay and 2K.

• George
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

When I was young and my mother made cupcakes they were not sponge cakes either – aah the days of the Viota cake mix and the very strange red glace cherries.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

Concrete mix?

Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I didn’t know that. What would a sponge cake be called here?

14. Hanni
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

**/****+

Why oh why can’t all crosswords be this good?

Beautifully written from start to finish. Slightest niggle is that I don’t think of 9a as biscuits. But that’s just me and I’m fine with me.

Lots of food today…but no drinks.

Too many fantastic clues to pick just one…well maybe 8d gets it.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for your usual great blog.

Toughie time over lunch.

Edit..meant to add well done to the totally terrific Milly.

• Miffypops
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

10ac is your license to serve drinks Hanni. In a 4d

• Hanni
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Excellent. The perfect pint wearing a 4d. Preferably with wellies too. For no logical reason.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I reckon the wellies would constitute a built-in defence mechanism, Hanni. Make you feel more fully ‘clothed’ and give you something substantial to kick out/stamp on toes with as and when necessary.
          Come to think of it – a pair of killer heels would be more effective for the latter, but maybe also lead you into more scenarios where the use of same as a weapon was necessary!

• Hanni
            Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I wish it was that complicated. It’s more that I have new wellies with fur in that I like. I do have some 4/5 inch heels. Perhaps I should have gone with dressage boots???

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

This is getting too much – I never knew you could get stiletto wellies.

• Kitty
                Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I reckon that SL is going for a cold bath followed by ‘lie down’ right now. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Kitty
                    Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

I think you may be right http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif.

• Hanni
                    Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I might wear them for the Christmas golf club ball. With a lbd.

• Kitty
                      Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

And what about the next blog birthday bash?

• Hanni
                      Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

My full side saddle habit, including top hat and veil. In case you don’t spot me I’ll be one carrying a lunging whip.

That or a dress. Too far ahead to think about.

• Kitty
                      Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

The former. Definitely that http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

You lot are getting far too risqué these days, I do hope you’re all more subdued in the flesh http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Btw Hanni – are you talking about having an odd libido? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif I’m sure that would cause an uproar at the annual ball.

• Hanni
                      Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I quite like Iran Hislop…is that odd?

• Kitty
                      Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Iran Hislop?

15. Beaver
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

A much ‘ brighter ‘solve today, as usual I always seem to be one star behind the 2k’s rating and so a **/**** for me. Like George above, a sense of foreboding falls at the mere hint if a spoonerism, does anyone like them ? no problems today with the P and Q in place ! 5d a new word, – but clearly clued; liked the deception in the surface read of 14a -was thinking of cadgers or loofah’s.Thanks setter and the 2k’s , the pic for 22d reminded me of the ones on the River Dane where I fished as a lad; off to Beaumaris for a weeks R and R come rain or shine.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Beautiful sunshine here at the moment, Beaver!

• pommers
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

I too fished the River Dane as a lad in the early 60’s. Mostly on the stretch between Middle wich and the M6.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Haven’t fished it but have certainly walked along a lot of it. Well remember being taken/forced on a walk with the parents to Three Shire Heads. All that kept me going was the thought of the lunch which would presumably be available in said hostelry. Turned out to be just the ‘head’ of three shires – not a pub in sight. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Beaver
          Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Looking for a change of ale and a good indian-no problems about locating a pub!

• Beaver
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

My stretch was around the railway arch area of Northwich upstream towards Davenham ,well conditioned roach and dace with the odd trout thrown in!

• pommers
          Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

And also chub on the stretches where I fished – ever tried eating one? My dad caught a 4 pounder once so we gave it a try and it was very disappointing – a bit like fishy cotton wool stuffed with needles. The dace are nice though.

16. Miffypops
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Todays puzzle is a PANGRA. I enjoyed it but looked up the answer to the Spooner clue because I detest them so. Thanks to Jay and thanks to the2Ks. it is so nice to have grandchildren. Milly sounds delightful. We have Harrison every Thursday. Roll on tomorrow.

17. Young Salopian
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Apart from the accursed 5d which I hated, and the good Doctor whom I detest, this was an excellent and thoroughly enjoyable offering from Jay. I rated this as just about 2/4, the doubt being I almost went 3 for difficulty. Well done to the 2Ks for can enjoyable post-solve read.

18. alan
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

A nice pangram, but my horticultural knowledge was too weak to get goldenrod – I came from sunnier climes

Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Please do tell, Alan – the rest of us can’t find the ‘Y’. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Miffypops
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Which makes it a pangra.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

To think that our kids are going back to school next Tuesday. Doesn’t feel like the end of the holidays.
    Weather still gorgeous. Had dinner by the sea last night in t-shirt and shorts.
    We had a bit of rain on Sunday. The equivalent of a glass of water for every square metre. Framboise is right. We could do with a little break.
    The refreshing thing was this crossword.
    Interesting menu! Brought a few smiles.
    Not scared by the Spooner but always a bit wary when some plants are involved such as the one in 13d which I got from the parsing.
    5d didn’t cause any trouble. We just spell it with “que” at the end.
    24d wins today’s prize.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2ks for the review.

20. omar
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

OK for me and a good puzzle (I especially liked 15d) BUT am I alone in thinking that a tart is something different from (htough similar to) a pie?…anyway, thanks to all…

21. Jaycat
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Found it a bit difficult today but I think it’s wavelength thing. Last in was 21a.

3*/3*

Thanks to setter and 2Kiwis for the hints

22. Claris
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this apart from 22d (never heard of it) and got stuck on Antigua – not too sure about AA for drivers?? Otherwise some very nice clues, esp 9,10 and 25 a.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Automobile Association

• Claris
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Yes, but they’re not necessarily drivers!

Posted August 26, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

They are in Crosswordland.

• pommers
            Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

And the RAC.

23. silvanus
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable solve, although I’m with those who don’t think of 14a as sponges – perhaps we could have Mary Berry adjudicate?

I seem to remember another Jay puzzle not so long ago which was a near pangram too, but then “J” was the only absent letter, but it was logically argued that it wasn’t really missing since he was the setter! Why no “Y” this time I wonder – because it’s also present in “Jay” ?!

The Spoonerism was clever, if somewhat unusual, but not especially amusing.

My favourites were 16a, 13d and especially 26a.

Many thanks to Jay and our New Zealand friends.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Now that we’ve had 2 (nearly) pangrams lacking ‘J’ and ‘Y’, I wonder if he’s up to giving us a puzzle without an ‘A’ – just to complete the set http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

What do you think?

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

That could be interesting, SL. Rather him than me!

24. Jane
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Thought it interesting that the pic at 21a is labelled as such. To my mind, that’s a breeze house – a 21a is a far less structured affair.

25. Shropshirelad
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable back pager from Jay – thank heavens, after the last 2 days. On the first read through, 5a got the pangram radar well and truly fired up and as my last one in was 5d – I tried ever so hard to squeeze a ‘Y’ into the answer but had to give up. I reckon it should be spelt with a Y. A couple of old chestnuts and a Spoonerism (groan) but delightful clueing as always. My favourite today is 19a – purely for it’s simplicity.

Thanks to Jay for the puzzle and the 2K’s for their usual excellent review http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

The toughie is indeed a toughie – It took a lot of thinking (my poor brain) – but it’s worth a go as there are some easyish clues to give you a toehold.

26. williamus
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Jays puzzles and me are a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy and I struggled with this one. I needed the hints for some inspiration and rationale for some of my answers. Absolutely not a criticism: I recognise it’s a beautifully written puzzle and some of the clues are brilliantly constructed… just not me today! Thanks to the Kiwis without whose help I’d have given up and to Jay for the challenge!

27. Hilary
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis for yet another mid-week treat. Only slight snag was 5d but once again search in BRB came to my rescue. As usual started with down clues from 24 worked my way up then back down again. Nice mixture of eatables although some cheese with 9a would be welcome, splendid selection of anagrams, not too evil Spoonerism, no particular favourite, have a nice evening everybody. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Hanni
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Enjoy your evening too Hilary. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

28. Hrothgar
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Some very neat and clever constructions, I thought.
    Just the other side of *** for difficulty, for me.
    Especially liked 14a, 15d and 22d.
    Many thanks Jay, and the 2Kiwis for the review.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Getting 5a immediately alerted me to a pangram, even though it wasn’t, I looked for the “q” and “z”, which helped.
    My iPad is in hospital, so new words like 5d meant I had to go into my office and look it up on the computer! We are now so dependent on technology, I have a dictionary but no idea where it is.
    I don’t like spoonerisms, so I just waited until I had enough letters and bunged in the answer.
    Fave was 26a, but there were many other clever clues.
    Thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for the review. How special to be able to walk Milly to school!

30. weekendwanda
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Good crossword accomplished with a patch over one eye as I had a cataract op this morning. Last one in for some inexplicable reason was 1a, the penultimate being 3d. Did not know where the last two letters of 21 a came from so grateful to 2 Kiwis for the hint (after the answer had been put in). Doh! Do not do every Wednesday by any means but thanks Jay

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

I do hope you recover swiftly weekendwanda. Is it just that one eye, or will the other require an op too? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Hilary
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

I had both eyes done three weeks apart last year because I was worried that I would have to stop driving which would have been disastrous as I have a mobility problem. It was a great success good luck and wish you a speedy recovery. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• weekendwanda
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Thank you Hilary and Shropshirelad. I had one eye done eight weeks ago which was a great success. I now drive without glasses – driving was bothering me before. Ist one I had no ill effects and could see well immediately the patch came off. Hoping for the same this time. I just can’t get used to not wearing varifocals.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

Well done you – I hope you have the same outcome this time. Good luck.

• Hanni
          Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Hope you feel better soon. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

31. mre
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon all.

A mostly straightforward solve today but enjoyable enough and with one or two very decent clues. The only real negative for me was a tiresome ‘Spooner’ that, thankfully, I didn’t have to waste time on on this occasion. I was nearly led astray at 7d but fortunately was able to see the error of my way pretty quickly.

Of the anagrams I liked 25a and my favourite clue was 24d. Special mention to 13d which I was able to establish from first principles which is always pleasing. I agree with the reviewers’ rating.

I’m away for the next week and will be tackling the ‘i’ crossword for a change. What a shame that I’ll be missing two Thursday puzzles…

32. Kitty
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle but I was beaten again today. Fell down at 5 and 20d. I think I’m getting worse :(.

I suddenly feel rather peckish for a cake or a biscuit…

Thanks to Ja (sic) and to 2Kiwis.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

No you’re not, Kitty – just having an ‘off’ day. I have far more of those than you ever do – don’t you dare slip off the radar. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

By the way, how’s Mr. K – nothing from him of late so I guess he’s knee-deep in the wage paying stuff!

• Kitty
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Knee-deep – or something-deep – yes. Don’t talk to me about w**k! Other than that, all is fine.

Thanks for your kind words, Jane. I’ll gather lots more data before I decide I’m past it! I’m not going to slip off the radar if I can help it. I might be a bit chattier over the next few days as I have a mini-holiday which I’m intending to spend sorting out paperwork for archiving/shredding and doing laundry and other fun stuff like that. Ohh, I really know how to live!

• Mr Kitty
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane,

I’m still lurking here. The work thing prevents me getting far enough with most puzzles to justify commenting, but I do look in most days to enjoy the banter. This blog is a wonderful community.

In other news, I’m expecting to see Kitty’s new boots in the flesh quite soon.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Nice to ‘see’ you, Mr. K. Guess your comment means that you’ll be back soon – Kitty will be purring (with or without the boots!).

Posted August 26, 2015 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Sorry for butting in, we obviously overstayed our welcome in the previous thread – but who is Iran Hislop? Do you think Hanni missed my pun on ‘libido’?

Btw – Nice to see you as well Mr Kitty http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Kitty
              Posted August 26, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Butt away, SL :). I think lbd = odd libido is brilliant btw.

We will have to see if Hanni will enlighten us as to who Iran Hislop might be. Perhaps a friend of Nepal Merton.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

• Hanni
                  Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

For clarification purposes…Iran Hislop is Ian’s middle eastern cousin, and absolutely nothing to with auto correct (again), or the fact I rarely check what I’ve typed. He is indeed related to Nepal Merton.

SL…I did get your pun and it was fantastic. In fact didn’t you promise us a blog based crossword?

Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

How remiss of me – I had forgotten about the Middle Eastern version of HIGNFY. I have completed the blog contributors based puzzle. However, I am just waiting for the right people to join the blog http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

• Hanni
                      Posted August 27, 2015 at 12:32 am | Permalink

HIGNFY has a very global market.

FAO Jane… Join the blogging team. Gazza has said this, SL has hinted…

You will be fantastic.

• Mr Kitty
              Posted August 27, 2015 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Thanks, SL http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif. I’ve been admiring your witty blog contributions for quite a while. Like Kitty, I thought that your clue for lbd was classic. You really should release that crossword. And Jane should blog it.

33. mary
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Just a quick call in today, grandson no 4 visiting! finished quite early today though at first run through I couldn’t do any of the down clues! fav clue 5a, just liked it,thanks once again for lovely welcome back yesterday, hope to have more time tomorrowhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif Thanks to 2Ks for blog

• pommers
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

I’ll be pleased to see you Mary.It’s me in the chair tomorrow.

34. Liz
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Another tricky one….this seems to be a trend this week. Needed the hint for 1a…don’t know why as it was not a difficult one really….brain just packed up! Some nice clues…rather liked16a..neat, and 6d too. Solved 15d OK but had no idea what the Spoonerism was…dont think this really worked to well either, although ‘pipsqueak’ is a brilliant word….one of those that always makes me laugh and superb when used as a put down! 5a posed a few problems with trying to fit in ‘fast food’. Didn’t know the nautical term at 7d but guessed correctly, and 5d was a new word for me. I think this was a 2*/3* for me. Thanks to 2Ks and to setter.

35. Gwizz
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

A very satisfying challenge today I thought. Once I got a foothold the rest started to fall into place quite quickly. I liked 2d so that’s my fave. 3/3* overall.
    Thanks to Jay and the 2K’s for their review.

Posted August 26, 2015 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

My word you have all been busy while we have been asleep. Our email inbox was almost overflowing when we turned on the computer this morning. The sun here is just about to pop up over the hills in the middle distance to start warming up our clear, calm frosty morning. It should be a very pleasant but chilly walk to school with Milly.
    Cheers. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

37. oddjob
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Is the quickie pun the worst ever, or can anyone think of something more dreadful?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Franco
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

I cannot … can you? If we cannot then possibly they can … is the setter of this pun a he or a she?

Nothing personal!

Posted August 26, 2015 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

As far as I know, the Quickie is always set by the same person as the back-pager of the day. Sorry, Franco, you probably can’t blame it on a member of the fair sex. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Franco
          Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Sorry, Jane,

I just tried to bung in all the English personal pronouns (“prone hounds”) into one reply.

Must stop drinking!

• oddjob
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Thankyou Franco, excellent response, (some people consider their responses, a lesson to some who just respond to nearly everything without making any sense).ojhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

38. Jay legs
    Posted August 26, 2015 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Nice straightforward crossword **/*** apart from new word at 5d, liked 9a & 16a ?
    Thanks to setter and 2 Ks last day of holiday on South Devon coast rain and more rain ?

Posted August 26, 2015 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Did you appreciate the one we used to show what letter was missing for a pangram. It seems to have skipped most people’s (except Kath) notice.
    That was meant to be a reply to Oddjob.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Know why ?

• oddjob
        Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks 2k, sorry completely missed that, must cut down ,not like Franco who feels he should give up.
        He’ll see sense in the morning. oj.
        (note to those interested, Lancaster Bomber)

Posted August 26, 2015 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

Good evening / morning 2K’s and yes I also got the pun – very cleverhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Didn’t you see my reply to Silvanus’s thread @ 23?

• oddjob
      Posted August 27, 2015 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Hi 2K ,what an honour to be achknoklegeged in this great eddission tanks oj.

40. Tstrummer
    Posted August 27, 2015 at 1:25 am | Permalink

Good stuff from the generally reliable Jay. Because I thought it was a pangram, I was able to do 24d, my last one in, because I knew there was no X anywhere else. It was only when I looked at the completed puzzle that I realised it wasn’t. Hard-boiled eggs are a popular breakfast staple in German and Austrian hotels, but I prefer them fried, on fried bread, with fried bacon, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms and a fried sausage. Anything else is just baby food.
    Many thanks to KK for their efforts, and to Jay for a fun end to the day. 2*/3*