DT 27887 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27887 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

7a    Change name in secret (7)
N(ame) inside an adjective meaning secret or hidden

9a    Circular meadow left mowed (7)
This circular or flyer comes from a meadow followed by an anagram (mowed) of LEFT

10a    Stop men finding female sorcerer’s home (5)
A verb meaning to stop followed by some men or regular soldiers gives the home of a biblical sorcerer

13a    One villain after power in a boat (7)
I (one) and a villain are preceded by P(ower) to get a South American dugout canoe

16a    Circle with sawn-off firearm? (7)
To get this verb meaning to circle or turn drop (sawn-off) the final letter from a type of firearm

23a    A piece of cake children eat gluttonously (4,5)
Some children followed by a verb meaning to eat gluttonously

25a    Open, following on (7)
An adverb meaning following or from that time followed by a preposition meaning on or concerning

26a    Small crown made of gold, one shown in court (7)
The heraldic term for gold and ONE inside C(our)T

1d    Team on board increase knots (6,2)
A team, possibly one on a ship, inside (on board) said ship and followed by a two-letter verb meaning to increase

4d    Flag of British queen and king (6)
B(ritish) followed by a Stuart queen and the Latin abbreviation for king

5d    Tired out? Completely, everything considered (3,2,3)
A phrase meaning tired out followed by an adverb meaning completely or entirely

9d    Cryptic clue fair? Without a match! (7)
An anagram (cryptic) of CLUE F[A]IR without the A

14d    Tenant and I study in peace (8)
The I from the clue and a study inside peace or relaxation

17d    French satirist showing anger after dance (8)
A three-letter word meaning anger preceded by an old dance

19d    Enjoys duck in this manner (4,2)
A five-letter verb meaning enjoys followed by a duck or score of zero in cricket

22d    A profit once more (5)
The A from the clue followed by a profit

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: pries+wring=prize ring

1. George
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Straightforward enough today – learned a new dance!

1.5*/4* for me.

Thanks to the setter and BD as usual.

2. Will
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Thanks for the hints BD. as usual finding it difficult – I’m still a novice I think! Any chance of a small hint for 12a? I can’t parse what the clue is let alone the answer!

• Will
      Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Hi BD – not needed now! Finally managed to get it when I got the answer to 3d! Feel quite proud I’ve finished haha!

Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Will. Well done.

• Hilary
        Posted August 22, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Well done, keep popping back it is always interesting to see how the blog develops and welcome from me.

3. Franders
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Easier than last week thank goodness!!

4. Young Salopian
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I agree with George above with his rating. Nothing too troubling, and, as usual, any unknowns could be parsed by virtue of the honest clueing. Thanks to all – hoping to continue painting the outside of the house if the rain holds off.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Reasonably straightforward once I got started – I enjoyed it.
    I had to ask Mr Google about the sorcerer’s home and I don’t think I’ve met the 17d dance.
    I liked 23a and 3 and 18d. My favourite was 19d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

6. Angel
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Lotsa fun again this Saturday. South was 23a but North slightly less 12a. Renaissance dance new to me too. Several smile-raisers including 23a, 19d and 13a. TVM Mysteron and BD. **/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

7. JonP
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Nice straightforward solve – thanks to BD and setter */****

Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:34 am | Permalink

2*/3*. I needed BD’s hint to confirm my answer for 10a. 13a is a new word for me. Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

9. Caravaggio
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Having pencilled in the answer for 1d, I had to stop and work out why and I’m pleased to see that Dave has come up with the same reasoning. Like three of the other contributors, the dance in 17d was new to me too.

10. neveracrossword
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Plain sailing, but not quite a piece of cake. Thx to BD and setter.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

No great problems but still cannot make the answer to 1d mean knots. It must be right as it has the team who run the ship inside the usual two letter term for a ship followed by increase but can’t find the answer is the BRB that mean knots. To make a mess of perhaps but knots?
    Apart from that very enjoyable even if I did have to Google 13a, probably been in the crossword before but slipped my memory.
    Thx to all.
    PS Mrs B says thank you to the setter for increasing her vocabulary as 11a was a new word to her.

• Hilary
      Posted August 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I can sympathise with Mrs B as I thought I had invented a word when I first wrote it in PS I am also Mrs B.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. Quite a tricky one, needed the hints for 1&19d and 25a. Had never heard of 10a, but got it from the wordplay. Favourite was 13a. Was 3*/2* for me. A real scorcher in Central London.

• Angel
      Posted August 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Re 10a King Saul/Macbeth “bubble bubble toil and trouble”!? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

13. williamus
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Agree with Dave and Caravaggio about the derivation for 1d but still not entirely happy. Surely, no need to make it so tenuous? First time (that I can remember) that I’ve not been able to reconcile a word or phrase with the BRB. That aside this, was a gentle and entertaining puzzle. Two new words for me as well! Many thanks to BD and the setter.

• Posted August 22, 2015 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

In the BRB, under the answer:
      To twist or distort

In Chambers Thesaurus, likewise:
      wrinkle, distort, tighten, knot, crumple, contract, pucker, contort

I’ve added a picture to illustrate my interpretation.

• williamus
        Posted August 22, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave – I can live with that. Perhaps I was a bit unfair. Cheers

• George
        Posted August 22, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I thought it had to also do with the way nautical types measure speed and the words also have a connection to how ships move forward.

14. Sarah
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Yes, I liked today’s offering too. I completed it without too much trouble but only knew 9 a was right because I’ve sung ” pack up your troubles” otherwise I wouldn’t have understood it at all! Like just about everyone else the dance was new to me as was the answer for11a. Thanks to the setter and BD for an enjoyable romp!

15. Ridgerunner
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Yes nice and easy and i loved 1d as the KNOTs are NOT NAUTical.

16. Jaycat
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable mostly gentle puzzle. Got stuck on 1d but got the right answer even if the meaning is a bit tenuous. Other interesting clues were 10a and 17d, learnt from these two.
    3*\4* for me.

Thanks BD and setter.

30 degrees here in E Anglia !

17. pommers
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

25a is apposite considering what’s gone on at the oval. English batsmen playing something that looks a little like cricket but clearly isn’t. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

18. Hilary
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you to setter and BD for a delightful way to spend Saturday afternoon, very hot in our bit of East Anglia but as we are near the coast there is a breeze to help. Thought I was going to be in trouble but gradually working up from 22d and finding both of the long answers fairly early on helped. Too many goodies to risk picking favourite but 23a in there with a chance.

19. Ora Meringue
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Not as easy for me as it appears to have been for most people on her. (Nothing new there then).
    Didn’t like 1d.
    13a was a new word for me, but I did know the dance…..too much reading historical novels and watching costume dramas. For crosswords I’d be better off watching cricket as there seem to be endless references to it, most of which are mystifying to me.

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave .

20. Hilary
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

How on earth do the people who insert the advertisements know that I am a bit on the cuddly side, today’s offering is for Plus Size garments?

• Ora Meringue
      Posted August 22, 2015 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

They have webcams in your computer.

• Hilary
        Posted August 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Oh no I’ll never turn it on again. It’s bad enough having a tissue-eating poltergeist in the cupboard under the stairs. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Ora Meringue
          Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

That’s uncanny.
          Ours eats loo rolls in the cupboard outside the bathroom…..

21. Gaskyns
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Nice straightforward puzzle today, and I too learnt a new dance name and had not heard of the answer to 10a before. Good to learn new things in old age!! Thanks BD.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Welcome Gaskyns

Posted August 22, 2015 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

I, too, didn’t know the dance or the boat but they were both easily solved with fair clueing.
    I enjoyed this, particularly 9d and 19d, and 23a is also a bit of a laugh.
    Thanks to setter and to BD for the review.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

It’s too hot to think. Thanks to Dave I’ve managed to answer more, but am still stuck on 10a……. Sorcerers home….

Posted August 22, 2015 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

You previously commented as KathH. To avoid confusion with our blogger Kath, you might like to revert to that name or else think of an entirely new one.

Also if you click reply (even on your own comment) it keeps the thread together.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Just Googled as mentioned earlier ???

25. Gwizz
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

A standard challenge for a Saturday with nothing too awkward I thought. No real favourites, maybe 13a, the boat one. 2/3* overall.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and BD for his hints.

26. A G Brown
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Finished bar two never look at hints so that’s it

• JonP
      Posted August 22, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Maybe the hints would help you to finish more regularly in the future???

• Hilary
      Posted August 22, 2015 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Break the habit of a lifetime and have a quick peep.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

1.5*/3*, but no real stand-out clue for me. Thanks to Mr Ron, and BD for the hints.

28. Tstrummer
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Bit of a doddle but good fun nonetheless. Tks to setter & BD

29. Badger
    Posted August 22, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Started from the bottom and worked up to top left -last one was 1d. New words -yes 10a with 11a and 13a !

A little research here and there but all in all (!) pleasurable.

Thanks to BD and setter as always.

Posted August 22, 2015 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable but over too soon.
    Liked 25a. Short and sweet like this crossword.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the hints.

31. Robin Newman
    Posted August 23, 2015 at 10:21 am | Permalink

*/***
    appreciated the pictures in hints for 1D and 9D-wonder where you found these ?

• Posted August 23, 2015 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Finding appropriate pictures to illustrate clues is an art form!

• Robin Newman
        Posted August 23, 2015 at 10:46 am | Permalink

ah!

32. Little Dave
    Posted August 23, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Easy peasy with no stand-out clues for me. Done at The Oval in lots of heat! Thanks BD et al.

33. RosemaryO
    Posted August 23, 2015 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

As with some of the others, I learnt a new word with 11a – rather like it and intend to use it! Whether anyone will understand me is another matter.

• Posted August 23, 2015 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Rosemary

The big question is will anyone understand it?

34. titchy dave
    Posted August 24, 2015 at 8:27 am | Permalink

As an ex English teacher must admit that although I had heard of the answer to 11a, I didn’t really know what it meant. Agree with many other contributors that it’s stretching it a bit to say that 1d means “knots”.
    Another new word for me was the boat at 13a.

35. weekendwanda
    Posted August 24, 2015 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Would Team in ship not have been a fairer clue for 1d. I was completely thrown and consequently could not get 7 and 10a. Apart from that I enjoyed it and the obscure or unusual words could be ascertained from the clue. Thanks all.