Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

I would have finished this more speedily if I hadn’t initially put the wrong ending on 1a (I assumed that ‘figure’ was the Roman numeral for fifty) which had me scratching my head about 5d until the penny dropped. Apart from that it was fairly plain sailing though probably a bit trickier than we normally get on Tuesdays (and none the worse for that). Do let us know how you got on and give us your rating.

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so only do that as a last resort.

Across Clues

1a Pass very large southern American figure of epic size (8)
COLOSSUS – string together a mountain pass, the abbreviation for very large in clothing sizes, S(outhern) and an abbreviation for American.

6a Heading west, shooter needs to grab some gold (6)
NUGGET – reverse (heading west, in an across clue) a shooter and follow that with a verb to grab or obtain.

9a Current   group of pupils (6)
STREAM – two meanings, the second a group of pupils of similar academic ability.

10a A comment found about largely neat remedy (8)
ANTIDOTE – A (from the clue) and a comment or explanation contain an adjective meaning neat without its final Y (largely).

11a Poor clot that’s violated etiquette (8)
PROTOCOL – an anagram (violated) of POOR CLOT.

12a Footballing action in item at top of page (6)
HEADER – double definition, the first a type of pass or shot in football.

13a Show command as a decisive photographer does? (4,3,5)
CALL THE SHOTS – what a film photographer may do on set to ensure that everyone is aware of how a scene is to be captured.

16a Side’s visit taking in hotel twice very late? (8-4)
ELEVENTH-HOUR – a cricket or football side followed by a visit or expedition containing repeated instances of the letter that hotel is used to represent in the Nato Phonetic Alphabet.

19a Revered figure, a Spanish chicken? (6)
APOLLO – A (from the clue) and the Spanish word for chicken.

21a Good soldier stuck in liquid mud, slow-moving (8)
SLUGGISH – insert G(ood) and the abbreviation for a US soldier into liquid mud or melting snow.

23a Best support, we’re told, for calorific meal (5,3)
CREAM TEA – a noun meaning the best or the elite is followed by what sounds like a supporting peg.

24a Course in French service, perhaps (6)
ENTRÉE – the French word for in is followed by what service is a wooden example of.

25a Circle note at end of letter to return present (6)
SPHERE – reverse the abbreviation for an afterthought at the end of a letter and add an adverb meaning present or in attendance. I don’t like circle, which is two-dimensional, as a definition for this three-dimensional figure.

26a Set off to make school in time (8)
DETONATE – insert our usual public school in a specific time.

Down Clues

2d On strike about railway, getting public disapproval (6)
OUTCRY – string together an adverb meaning on strike, a single letter meaning about or approximately and the abbreviation for railway.

3d In Dover, terminal is open (5)
OVERT – hidden.

4d Mark left in some coin that’s reproduced (9)
SEMICOLON – insert the abbreviation for left in an anagram (re-produced) of SOME COIN.

5d Note liberal expression of annoyance upset young celebrity (7)
STARLET – string together a note from tonic sol-fa, the abbreviation for the Liberal Party and a mild expression of annoyance. Now reverse (upset) it all.

6d Nick books put in Northern church (5)
NOTCH – insert the abbreviation for some books of the Bible between N(orthern) and an abbreviation for church.

7d Follow retired fellow with dodgy heart, criminal mastermind (9)
GODFATHER – reverse (retired) a verb to follow or tail and add F(ellow) and an anagram (dodgy) of HEART.

8d Request Eastern feast in US city (8)
ENTREATY – start with E(astern) then insert a feast or free entertainment in the abbreviation for an east coast US city.

13d Sparkling wine left by trainee short of time in procession (9)
CAVALCADE – join together a Spanish sparkling wine, L(eft) and a trainee (in the armed forces or police, say) without the final T.

14d Menu motel devised for profit (9)
EMOLUMENT – this profit comes from one’s employment. We want an anagram (devised) of MENU MOTEL.

15d Leave friend with cold on reflection? That’s nonsense (8)
CLAPTRAP – string together a verb to leave or go separate ways, a friend and the abbreviation for cold. Finish by reversing it all (on reflection).

17d Save  partner in match (7)
HUSBAND – double definition, the first a verb to save or conserve one’s resources.

18d Face pressure entering a schismatic religious group (6)
ASPECT – insert the abbreviation for pressure into A and a group of religious dissenters.

20d Revealed note that’s rather shocking (5)
OUTRÉ – charade of an adverb meaning revealed or in the public domain and a note from tonic sol-fa.

22d Manage  board (3,2)
GET ON – double definition, the second meaning to board (a train, say).

I have to pick out 1a for the way it fooled me – other clues which I liked were 7d and 22d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: POLLY + SEIZE = POLICIES

1. Graham
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I made the same mistake as Gazza but got there in the end,didn’t know what a Spanish chicken was called what a sheltered life I’ve led.Many thanks to the setter & to Gazza for his review.?

Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very nice puzzle, a little bit tricky, had to think about a few clues. Got held up in the SE corner, as I originally entered put up for 22d. Once I realised the correct answer, all fell into place. Last in was 17d. My favourite was 19a, which made me laugh. Just needed the hints to parse 5d. Was 3*/3* for me. Sun just coming out in Central London. Off to sample the delights of the GBBF later at Olympia.

3. Hanni
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:32 am | Permalink

**/****

Add me to the list that made the 1a mistake. The other mistake I made was filling in 20 and 22d in the wrong squares and not noticing for awhile. Caused a few problems.

Enjoyed this offering, 1a and 16a being the stand out clues..for me anyway.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for a great blog.

To Toughie or not to Toughie..that is the question?

Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Toughie is not so tough. For a real treat try Arachne in the Guardian (For me 2d in that puzzle is the clue of the year).

Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I had to take a peak at the Arachne. 2d is a wickedly brilliant clue. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Definitely clue of the year. Everyone should have a go at the Arachne.

• Heno
          Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue, Arachne very good, really enjoyed 2d.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I agree about 2d in the Guardian – had to do the whole of the top right corner before I could get it – in other words I needed five of its nine letters.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tip.
        Haven’t finished yet but got 2d.
        Short and to the point. Great clue.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:48 am | Permalink

I’ve had a quick look at the Toughie – it doesn’t look too tricky, so far anyway.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks both. Will have a look at it…and if I’m brave the Arachne.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Gazza, I didn’t like “circle” = “sphere” in 25a at first, but then I thought outside the geometric box and decided they could be synonymous when referring to a group of people, as in “—— of influence”. What do you think?

The only other clue which held me up was 24a as I had never heard of that specific tree before – but it is in the BRB!

A few too many Lego clues for my taste but reasonably enjoyable so 3*/2.5* from me today.

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and to Gazza

Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Good thinking, RD. I notice that Mrs Bradford does list ‘sphere’ under circle.

5. George
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

So yes, I found this a little trickier than some but not overly difficult – a good balance between being able to finish and yet challenging enough to be entertaining. So, I agree, 3* for difficulty and 4* for enjoyment for me.

Thanks to all as usual

6. Jaycat
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

A 3*/3* puzzle for me today, some good penny drop moments. Liked 1a but also fell for the mistake.

I actually like lego type clues although it adds to the confusion sometimes.

Thanks to Gazza and setter.

7. Beaver
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Agree with Hanni on a **/****,didn’t fall into the 1a trap as i did for 6d yesterday ! straight forward and enjoyable, well clued throughout, favourite 16a-19a brought a smirk. Thanks Gazza for the pics,12a brilliant headline, reminds me of last weeks ‘football’ anagram for team needing ‘the new stadium’- west ham united . takes a bit of beating.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I think I’ll go along with 3* for both difficulty and enjoyment.
    I didn’t go wrong with 1a but got into all kinds of trouble in the bottom left corner – don’t know why – just did so that was the bit that held me up.
    I spent a while trying to fit an anagram (liquid) of MUD into 21a before I saw sense.
    I liked 1 and 24a (once I’d remembered the tree) and 7 and 15d.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to gazza.
    Might see if I can polish off the Toughie then stuff to do in the garden.
    I think August is a rather tedious month – lots of friends are away (and we’re not) and it all feels a bit dull. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I will pop round and liven things up for you Kath. How about that?

Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

So sweet of you MP but we’d hate to put you to all that trouble so will struggle on, and manage, somehow! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

9. una
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I think this puzzle deserves 4* for enjoyment and 2.5 for difficulty.Lots of clues rated a star beside them, I find it near impossible to choose a favourite.
    Thanks to the setter and Gazza for explaining 17d .http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

10. Jane
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Pushed into 3* time due to getting in a bit of pickle with rings and revealed notes in the SW corner.
    A competent puzzle but not one that really ‘floated my boat’ – unlike yesterday’s from Rufus. 2.5* for enjoyment.
    Pick of the bunch for me were 13a & 7d.

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to Gazza for his usual great review.

BTW – I see that Tstrummer is back safe and sound from his boating trip. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

I reckon Tstrummer will have been grateful for a little bit of led Zeppelin yesterday Jane.

• Tstrummer
        Posted August 12, 2015 at 1:38 am | Permalink

Or not.

11. neveracrossword
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I put in the correct last 2 letters for 1a, then deleted them in favour of “al” – before eventually reverting to first answer. I have lost count of the number of times I have ordered the Spanish food in 18a (in Spanish) when on holiday in Murcia – it still took a while for the penny to drop. 15d appeared only yesterday. Muchas gracias to Gazza and setter.

• Owdoo
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Re 15d, it never ceases to surprise me how often this happens. Too often for it to be complete coincidence I think.

12. Miffypops
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

No problems here so we are off out for lunch. Mmmmn foood!!!

13. Jay legs
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I think the word quirky springs to mind with today’s offering ? ***/** Fortunately the one word I remember from Italian menus is the word chicken, it was still the last answer along with 20d Thank goodness for the “Gunners” if it was not them the “Canaries” would be bottom of the Premiership ? Thanks to Gazza and the setter.

14. Young Salopian
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

The 1a/5d error confounded me as well. Apart from that, no problems with this very enjoyable puzzle. 16a my favourite, and a solid 3/3 for me. Thanks to all.

15. Roger
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I rather liked this crossword although I did get held up by putting champagne in to 13d even though I couldn’t see how the rest of the clue worked. Note to self – must stop doing this!

So many thanks to setter and Gazza for confirming my understanding of a few clues.

I looked at the Guardian 2d and even ‘cheating’ I still am none the wiser!

Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

We don’t comment on other paper’s puzzles here but http://www.fifteensquared.net/2015/08/11/guardian-26647-arachne/ will help the penny clang loudly to the floor.

• Roger
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Ah, I thank you! Penny dropped. Did you hear the clang? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

I wondered what the noise was – I put it down to Mr CS dropping something in the garden

• Brian
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Wow! So impressed, would never ever have got the answer but what a brilliant clue.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

That was outstanding! I say, their blog isn’t a patch on BD’s, or is that something I shouldn’t have said?

• Miffypops
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Wow! The way forward in Blogging. That is how I will do Mondays from now on. (Superb clue)

16. Claris
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Spent a while wondering where on earth a young celebrity fitted into the word Leaflet…apart from that quite enjoyable :)

Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Claris.

• Claris
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Thank you! I don’t know how it’s taken me so long to find this blog but it’s great! Not sure where I got that face from though – shall have to investigate further…

Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

You’ll find a lot of useful information in the FAQ, including how to have your own avatar.

• Salty Dog
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Yes, l admit it: l was a “leaflet” as well. Then “starlet” leapt into my consciousness and l swiftly amended 1a. 2*/3*, l thought, and 23a as favourite clue (with the cream on top, of course, because this comes from Cornwall!). Thanks to Mr Ron, and to Miffypops.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

I fear that you’ve been corrupted by those from west of the Tamar. The correct way to serve a Devonshire cream tea is with jam on top (as shown in my carefully selected picture). :D

Posted August 11, 2015 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Very good…but it is impossible to lick the cream off when served like that. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif I’m so uncouth at times.

• jean-luc cheval
          Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

It appears that the only wars between Cornwall and Devon are about food.
          Sorry to stick my oars in but I thought “great tea” was more of a proper dinner. Salty and all.

• Claris
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Yes, Leaflet or Lear Jet – but that seemed even more unlikely!

Posted August 11, 2015 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Claris, you certainly weren’t the only one who thought ‘leaflet’!

• Claris
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks, nice to meet you!

Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

And you, I hope you’ll keep commentating? There has been the odd occasion that I’m certain that I’ve answered a clue correctly, read the blog and realised I’m completely wrong. It’s quite a skill. I often say something similar to ‘rats’ in that situation.

• Claris
            Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

Yes I didn’t know such places existed where you could not only find the answers, and explanations behind them (how often have I given up and resigned myself to never really knowing Why even when the answer’s obvious) – but you can discuss it all with other similarly obsessed people too! I don’t always have a lot of time but I will drop in when I can :)

Posted August 12, 2015 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Yes BD has created quite an amazing site, you can always ask about clues you are unsure of. It can become addictive but everyone is very friendly. It occasionally veers completely off topic into all manner of subjects, but it’s all good fun.

• Miffypops
      Posted August 12, 2015 at 1:08 am | Permalink

And hello from Miffypops too. Off Topic Hanni? If we knew what the the topic was we would stick to it..

Posted August 12, 2015 at 1:33 am | Permalink

The topic is paint, pianos, pencils and Patagonia. So feel free to discuss egg chasing.

• Miffypops
          Posted August 12, 2015 at 1:37 am | Permalink

I almost bought a piano today

Posted August 12, 2015 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Were you in a piano shop? Great for child type grandkids, pubs, people who can’t play but want to learn and as a ‘thing’. I like playing Alexander Debicz.

Posted August 12, 2015 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Come to think of it…topics are utterly arbitrary here.

17. JonP
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty straightforward and enjoyed it while it lasted. Thanks to Gazza and setter */***

18. Robin Newman
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

stil puzzling over “tree” in 24A, even after reading the hints & the comments !

Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

A service tree is similar to the rowan.

• Robin Newman
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks !

found it in Wikipedia

19. pommers
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I thought this was going to be pretty tricky as we only got three of the acrosses on first pass. Then the downs came to the rescue and it all got filled in as a **/*** effort.

We didn’t fall into the 1a trap and , of course, had no problems with the Spanish chcken or the fizzy wine.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza.

20. Angel
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I’m with Gazza et al on having had wrong ending for 1a. No fav today. 15d seems to be like a bad penny recently. SW corner last to go in mainly due to not tumbling to Spanish chicken. ***/***. Thanks Mysteron and Gazza. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

So much more challenging than the so called toughie.
    A real pleasure with great misdirections.
    I too was fooled by colossal in 1a, but leaflet in 5d just didn’t make sense.
    SW corner took a bit of time as I thought the photographer in 13a was going to pull something.
    A perfect crossword imho.
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Yep…almost did the ‘leaflet’ thing too J-L.

22. silvanus
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable solve, not too difficult but requiring quite a bit of thought at the same time.

Luckily I didn’t fall into the 1a trap that others did, and I did notice the second appearance of 15d in successive days.

Favourites were 7d and 13a.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Quite tricky and rather spoilt by some clumsy clues I thought. 25a is awkward with the circle, 5d is just poor (who says Rats! anymore I wonder) and just don’t see what service has to do with 24a. Gazzas clue is that service is a wooden example, of what pray? Best clue by far for me was 19a but did like 22a as well. Sorry I voted the puzzle a 1 star by mistake, very easy to catch the wrong star on an iPad! Should have been *** with *** for difficulty.
    Thx to all.

• Brian
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Just found the second definition for service at the very bottom of a long entry in the BRB. So that’s something I learned today. Note to CS, I looked up Tree but it never occurred to me to look up service!

Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Note to Brian – always look up everything!!

• Jane
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Sorry, Brian, but I will put my hand up to using ‘rats’ on occasion!

Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Me too, often!

Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

And me! It is, at least, socially acceptable when other things spring to mind!

24. Framboise
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Found it quite tricky – put the wrong ending on 1a and could not reconcile my leaflet with a young celebrity! Had no trouble, however, with the fizzy wine and the Spanish chicken! Many thanks to Mysteron and to Gazza for the review. Somehow felt I was not on the same wavelength as the setter…3*/2.5* with no clear favourite. The Toughie was much easier!

25. mre
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one very much with many good clues and solvable in a sensible length of time for a back page crossword. Ultimately foxed only by 23a for which I could only think of ‘great’ for the first part. What an idiot I am!

Favourite clues were many but I’ll nominate 16a and 13d as they took me longest to solve.

Four/four for me.

26. Shropshirelad
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Nearly fell into the 1a trap – thinking that ‘Al’ for American was a bit iffy – then the penny dropped when I came across 5d. The rest was pretty much a R & W but I always forget ‘THAT’ sparkling wine! I was also in two minds about the validity of 25a but thanks to RD for his slant on thing’s http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

I will go with 26a as my favourite for today.

Thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza for his usual excellent review (especially the picture for 12a). Could that ever appear as the pun in the quick crossword?

I don’t normally do the Graun on Tuesdays but I agree that 2d was v. clever. Would it have been have better if it had ‘old’ inserted before Dutch……….?

Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

My original parsing of 1a (seemed fine at the time) had the meaning being ‘of epic size’ with the last two letters being A(merican) and L (figure, i.e. 50). It never occurred to me that might be wrong until I hit the buffers on 5d.

• Shropshirelad
        Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Aren’t cryptic crosswords wonderful……… Mrs SL can’t get her head round all the different abbreviations for 1 word especially when it comes round to soldiers and sailors – but the same can’t be said when it’s about Doctors and nurses http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

I will say no more.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

I’d be jolly careful what I said about doctors and nurses if I were you! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Shropshirelad
            Posted August 11, 2015 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

OOer Matron, best I behave then. Or are you still angry with me? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

No – certainly not and I’ve never been angry with you at all. As for the OOer Matron – well – I was a ward sister (quite a nice one really) and I am married to a doctor. Back to the say no more . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Shropshirelad
                Posted August 11, 2015 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

I had thought that my collusion in the misspelling of your name the other day, probably put me in the ‘bad books’ as my mother used to say. I’m glad that wasn’t the case http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted August 12, 2015 at 12:11 am | Permalink

I felt guilty too.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, it all slotted in so well.
    Fave was 16a. Learnt something new at 24a.
    Thanks to setter and to Gazza for a great review.

28. Vancouverbc
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

***/***. Back in the saddle and suffering from jet lag but can’t use this as an excuse for the slow solve. Thanks to Gazza for the review and the setter for a good challenge.

29. Shamus
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks as always to Gazza for his Tuesday review and everyone who commented.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks for dropping in Shamus and thanks for the enjoyable puzzle. I thought it was probably one of yours but after getting the setter wrong two weeks ago I decided not to commit myself this time.

Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

Have to confess that Shamus never entered my head as the setter of this one.
        Thanks, Shamus.

• Hilary
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Thank you from me too. I am too new to BDs to have any idea who setter is but I certainly enjoyed this because with just a little electronic help my trusty pencil and I finished it.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks for dropping in Shamus – like Gazza, I have also decided not to put my head above the parapet on Mr Ron days. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I thought as much.
      To be sure, a perfect offering as previously mentioned.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted August 11, 2015 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks Shamus, very enjoyable puzzle.

• Jane
      Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Oh Rats – and there was me saying that this one didn’t ‘float my boat’. My grovelling apologies, Shamus, I usually enjoy your twinkly-eyed sense of humour but obviously missed it today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted August 11, 2015 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Nice use of the word ‘rats’ Jane!!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

30. A G Brown
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Got 11ac & 3 d well happy with that

Posted August 11, 2015 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Luckily for us, Gazza’s alternative answer for 1a never occurred to us and we just seemed to fly through this one. We did have a minor hold-up in the SW corner with both 19a and 23a needing a bit of thought but the rest all went in very smoothly. Enjoyable.
    Thanks Shamus (thanks for popping in to say Hi) and Gazza.

32. Hilary
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Still suffering with withdrawal symptoms over picture for 23a, fatties and diabetics are not allowed them. Loved the crossword, did not fall into 1a and on the whole finished with only a small amount of electronic help. Thanks to Shamus and Gazza. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

33. Paso Doble
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 8:17 pm | Permalink

We thought that this was a pretty tough one, or maybe we have our heads towards the Cinque Terre in Italy which we are both looking forward to.
    Our sojourn will be mixed with some work in Italia which makes it all the more exciting. So we won’t be commenting upon South, East, North or even Westerly corners
    because we only got held up on the M4 trying to get back into London.

Many thanks to Shamus and the ever reliable gazza for the hints and tips…

34. overtaxed
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Thought this was tougher than a normal Tuesday, but enjoyable none the less. ***/***, and favourite was 16a. Last in was 22d. Answers with two short words always cause more trouble than they should. Thanks to Shamus ( having revealed himself) and to Gazza for the review.

35. Liz
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

This was quite tricky, particularly in the NE corner. This was mainly because I had ‘pinch’ instead of ‘notch’ for 6d…….wrong sort of nick! Otherwise not too bad aNd didn’t need the hints today……therefore its 2*/3* for me. 16a my favourite clue, thanks to setter and Gazza.

36. Gwizz
    Posted August 11, 2015 at 9:17 pm | Permalink

Wot, me get 1a wrong and put leaflet in 5d? …of course. And then to put Append in for 25a? Yep! So not a good day for me, but the rest of the crossword was rather good.
    Just me having a second off day in a row.
    Thanks to Shamus and Gazza for showing me the errors of my ways…..

37. Jane
    Posted August 12, 2015 at 12:49 am | Permalink

Hi TS – assuming you pop in later – just to let you know that I have finished reading Harbour. It was a fascinating read, devoured in very short order! Having once spent a holiday there, it was easy to recall many of the places mentioned – including the race course, the Star ferries and the delight of Victoria Heights as a respite from the teeming city below. Maybe I’ll get the chance to talk to you about it at a BD bash sometime in the future.
    By complete contrast, I have also just finished re-reading Daddy-Long-Legs, which you may remember cropped up in conversation recently, and am about half way through the sequel – Dear Enemy.
    I’m afraid I have still to improve on my appreciation of the Thurber cartoons, but I do keep trying!
    Hope your ‘land-legs’ are coping with the return to normal duties. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Tstrummer
      Posted August 12, 2015 at 1:51 am | Permalink

What is even more interesting – and a good observation on the novelists’ art – is that PH, although brought up in Singapore, has never been to Hong Kong. I’m glad that you enjoyed it. May I make so bold as to recommend Common Places, by the same PH? I think the Book Depository has some left, and Amazon may have too. Among my Spanish friends, this is the one they like best…

• Tstrummer
        Posted August 12, 2015 at 2:14 am | Permalink

… And as regards “land legs”, well yes. But I discovered today that I wrote down the wrong dates for my proper summer holiday and my boat is stuck somewhere where it cannot be for much longer and I don’t have the time to move it. Also, normal duties have been suspended for the summer, and I find myself on the permanent late, late shift covering for people who are in Greece, the Riviera or Cornwall while I slave away at unfamiliar and, frankly, unrewarding tasks. As Matt so aptly once pointed out, retirement is much further away than it appears in the mirror. Sigh

38. Tstrummer
    Posted August 12, 2015 at 2:07 am | Permalink

I was surprised to discover that this was a Shamus puzzle – it seemed too much of a breeze for one of his. He usually has me reaching for the second pint while scratching my head and refilling my pipe (who said that men were no good at multitasking?). I liked it a lot, though, as I usually do with Shamus’s offerings. 23a brought a smile as did 19a, but the BAFTA goes to 16a, not because it was difficult, but because it was so perfectly put together that disentangling it was a delight. I did not fall into the 1a trap, proving, in my own raddled mind anyway, that starting with the down clues always has its advantages.
    Many thanks to Shamus and to Gazza for his inimitable review: the cream tea pic has made me feel overly peckish and there’s only some cheese and sorry-looking limp green beans left in the fridge. I may have to eat my hat