Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

Today’s Mr Ron is the one who usually incorporates a few ‘North Americanisms’ in his puzzles. This one isn’t too tricky and, for me, it doesn’t have a lot of sparkle. Do let us know how you got on and give us your rating.

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so only do that as a last resort.

Across Clues

1a A second, so great in itself (2,4)
AS SUCH – join together A (from the clue), the abbreviation for second and a word meaning so great (as in ‘**** was her intellect that she was a member of Mensa’).

4a Piece of writing found in small underground chapel, we’re told (6)
SCRIPT – the abbreviation for small and what sounds like an underground chapel.

8a Against modelling after work (8)
OPPOSING – modelling or sitting follows the abbreviation for an artistic work.

10a One from Tripoli, perhaps hidden in Tripoli by another (6)
LIBYAN – hidden, as we’re explicitly told, in the clue.

11a Decorative bow  tie (4)
KNOT – I think that this is supposed to be a double definition but as far as I can see it’s just the noun and verb forms of the same word.

12a Best place for a surfer, out in the open (5-5)
ABOVE BOARD – cryptically where you’d expect to see a competent surfer.

13a Be extremely logical after fight evokes nursery rhyme (4,4,4)
DING DONG BELL – BE (from the clue) and the outer (extremely) letters of logical follow an informal word (4-4) for a fight or argument. This is probably not the RSPCA’s favourite nursery rhyme.

16a Ill-natured individual, most cruel guy when upset (4,8)
UGLY CUSTOMER – an anagram (when upset) of MOST CRUEL GUY.

20a Seeing off rum, becomes awkward (10)
CUMBERSOME – this is an anagram (off) of RUM BECOMES. I think that the anagram indicator here must be just ‘off’ because I can’t see how ‘seeing off’ works, so I presume the wordplay is saying ‘If you make an anagram (off) of RUM BECOMES you’ll be seeing a word meaning awkward’. However you interpret it, the clue seems to match the answer.

21a Clothes son obtained in recession (4)
TOGS – the abbreviation for son and a verb meaning obtained are put together and then it’s all reversed (in recession).

22a Beeswax, for example, from one of the EU countries (6)
POLISH – double definition, relying on two different pronunciations of the answer. Chestnuts don’t come much older than this.

23a Excellent Brazilian city toured by American caretaker (8)
SUPERIOR – the usual Brazilian carnival city goes inside the short form of a building superintendent in North America.

24a Guess  shape (6)
FIGURE – double definition, the first (another North American usage) is a verb meaning to guess or suppose.

25a On purpose, making motto (6)
LEGEND – another word for the ‘on’ side in cricket is followed by a purpose or target.

Down Clues

1d Supplementary material inserted   that may have to be taken out? (8)
APPENDIX – double definition, the second what you may need to have removed by a surgeon.

2d Curt type round hospital (5)
SHORT – a word meaning type or kind contains the abbreviation for hospital.

3d Elegant, a turn in show (7)
CHICAGO – string together an adjective meaning elegant or stylish, A (from the clue) and a turn (in a board game, for example).

5d Old king circling stage in Worcester, perhaps (7)
COLLEGE – this Worcester is a constituent part of Oxford University. The merry old king contains (circling) a stage or section of a journey or competition.

6d Run out in big limo abroad causes complicated situation (9)
IMBROGLIO – the abbreviation for ‘run out’ in cricket goes inside an anagram (abroad) of BIG LIMO.

7d Samovar‘s odd nature (3,3)
TEA URN – an anagram (odd) of NATURE.

9d First in emergency to enter ravine over bridge gets bravery award (6,5)
GEORGE CROSS – the first letter of emergency goes inside a ravine or canyon and that precedes (over, in a down clue) a verb to bridge.

14d Complaining, leader of gang on unmasking (9)
GRUMBLING – the leading letter of gang followed by (on, in a down clue) the present participle of an informal verb meaning unmasking or discovering the truth.

15d Potter married suitable wife inside (8)
WEDGWOOD – another word for married is followed by an adjective meaning suitable or satisfactory containing W(ife).

17d Dog taken from pitch, about to be brought over (7)
LURCHER – a verb to pitch or list is followed by the reversal (to be brought over) of a preposition meaning about or concerning.

18d Sheer, the Parisian church tower (7)
STEEPLE – fix together an adjective meaning sheer or precipitous and one of the words used for ‘the’ in Paris.

19d Postpone draw? About to (3,3)
PUT OFF – a verb to draw (on a cigarette, for example) goes round TO.

21d Short in toaster’s electrics (5)
TERSE – another word hidden in the clue. It’s a bit odd that the definition here is the answer (with the same meaning) to a previous clue.

The clue which I liked best was 9d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: SELL + DUMB + HERD = SELDOM HEARD

and at the bottom of the Quickie we have CELL + DOME + SEEN = SELDOM SEEN

1. Franco
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Not much to say about today’s cryptic … but it seems we have two puns for the price of one in the Quickie.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Thanks, Franco. Your comment made me venture into the bottom half of the Quickie, an area which I seldom (sic) enter.

• Miffypops
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I have noticed this a few times now. I do like the way the two make a whole

• Franco
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

gazza, I hope that you didn’t suffer the bends when returning to the surface!

But the 4th “Click here” thingy no longer seems to work.

Many apologies for spoiling your day !

Who cares?

Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

It does now (I hope).

2. Graham
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Not very inspiring for me, And agree with the ratings offered by Gazza. Many thanks to the setter & Gazza for his review,off to look at the toughy now.?

3. Michael
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:17 am | Permalink

My Anagram program let me down again with 16a but I managed to work it out from the cross letters and get back to the anagram – it’ll never catch on!

4. George
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Yes, a nice puzzle but nothing too remarkable, I suppose. Still I enjoyed the solving as usual.

Thanks to all.

1*/3* for me.

5. Young Salopian
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:23 am | Permalink

A quick run through this morning with very few head-scratching moments. Fair but comfortable to solve, so 2/2 for me. Thanks to setter and Gazza for his hints.

6. mre
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:28 am | Permalink

A straightforward puzzle today with only 1a, 3d and 25a remaining after two passes. Not sure I fully understood 1a but it lit up 3d and just a bit of head scratching was needed for 25a to finish.

Just into two star time so two/two for me too.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:30 am | Permalink

1*/2*. This easy but unexciting puzzle was R&W for me except for a couple in the SE corner, with 25a my last one in. Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 11:56 am | Permalink

I liked it although I certainly don’t think, unlike RB above, it is in the one star category.
    I found myself placing stars beside quite a lot of clues, including 5d, 7d and 19d and 13a, my first one in.
    Setter with American touches ? Who could that be ?
    I looked up your comment on 11a, Gazza.I’m still puzzled.
    Thanks setter and Gazza.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

The point I was trying to make on 11a is that for a good double definition the two meanings should be quite distinct, e.g.
      High grade (4) where ‘rank’ means both high (smelly) and a grade or position, with the two meanings of rank being totally different.
      In 11a, unless I’m missing something, knot is a verb to tie and a knot is a decorative bow that’s tied. So one meaning is just the verb ‘to tie’ and the other is just a noun resulting from the action of tying,

• Una
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks .

• Rosanne Greaves
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I thought knot was an adjective describing a formal decorative garden.
        I enjoyed this one. Thanks to Gazza and setter.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Hi, Rosanne. You’ve changed your alias since your last comments in 2013 so this one required moderation. Both aliases should work from now on.
          Knot can be a noun meaning an elaborately-designed flower-bed, but I can’t see how that fits with the clue.

• Robin Newman
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

11A-Collins on line gives “decorative bow or fastening”

liked the double pun in the quickie and 21D in the cryptic

*/*** for me

9. Omar
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

All fairly straightforward for me except 25a, which had me foxed!

10. Hrothgar
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Remarkably unremarkable, and it had to be resolved unaided.
    It was.
    Last in 15d, was racking my brain for a well-known snooker player.
    Many thanks Mr. Ron and Gazza.

11. Angel
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

No pain again today but enjoyable enough. I question whether 3d is a “show” or 11a a “decorative bow”. Made life difficult for myself by making second word of 7d “pot”. Thanks Mysteron and Gazza. **/**. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

• Angel
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Oh dear I take back one of my questions because I have only just looked at Gazza’s hints and realised the error of my ways in plumping for a word for (Mexican) Rock rather than the U.S. City musical. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

I loved Chicago.

• Miffypops
          Posted August 5, 2015 at 1:06 am | Permalink

The city or the musical?

12. Beaver
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

The SE corner gave it an extra star, so a **/** for me,11a didn’t really work, although I now note Robin Newman’s comment,, liked the cluing of 19d,and 13a was well constructed-thought Gazza might have provided a picture of England’s dynamic No 3 after the last test ! roll on Thursday.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

well constructed – like it!
      I hope that you, as an England cricket fan, enjoyed the very good Rookie Corner puzzle yesterday.

13. Dave B
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Not very taxing, but still enjoyable. 1d was my favourite. Last in was 12a. **/**. Thanks to Mysteron and Gazza.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I agree that this was straightforward but I enjoyed it. 1* for difficulty and 3* for enjoyment.
    My last answer was 25a – http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
    Even though it was one of my dreaded hidden answers I liked 10a.
    I also liked 13 and 16a and 9d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to gazza.

15. SheilaP
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Liked today’s effort a lot and managed it pretty well on the whole. Re. 23a, I thought an American caretaker was called a janitor, but of course it didn’t fit. **/*** for us today. Thank you to the Tuesday setter and to Gazza.

16. Hugh Spear
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Hi Big Dave. I have decided to try to learn how to do Crosswords. Today is my first day on the Telegraph Cryptic Crossword. I couldn’t do a single clue.

Hopefully I will improve over time. In the meantime thanks for the explanations.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Hugh. Do keep us updated on your progress.

• Hilary
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too, I have only been here for a relatively short time but the hints and encouragement you will receive will help to bring your solving powers along by leaps and bounds. The camaraderie is amazing so persevere and tell us how you are getting along. P S if all fails there’s always a nice glass of liquid refreshment to drown your sorrows and you will even get recommendations for that.

• Heno
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome Hugh, onwards and upwards. There’s always plenty of help here.

• Miffypops
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Hello Hugh. Welcome from me too. Lots to learn here on all sorts of subjects.

• Hrothgar
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Good luck, Hugh.
        Secret is to carry on regardless.
        Everyday is a part of the learning curve.
        Even for the experienced.

• Kitty
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Hi Hugh. Stick with us and I predict you’ll be polishing off the Toughies before you know it :).

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too, Hugh. This is a very nice place to be – everyone is very helpful and there are lots of very experienced ‘crossworders’. We are all very friendly – no-one bites – no-one ever makes anyone else feel dim so if you don’t understand something then all you need to do is ask and you will get a response within minutes, if not seconds.

• Framboise
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Good luck Hugh! I taught myself how to do Cryptic crosswords without Big dave’s wonderful blog so my progress was far from meteoric. I am sure yours will be!

17. silvanus
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

It may not have been too tricky but I did enjoy it a lot.

I thought the anagram in 16a was superb and that wins my vote for favourite clue.

Many thanks to the setter and Gazza.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

At least with two legs this crossword can stand on its own.
    But let’s support the setter for his or her work.
    Quite liked the Potter in 15d and the clothes of 21a.
    Thanks to mysteron and to Gazza for the review.

19. Hilary
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

I loved 16a what a superb anagram, started as always with last down clue and worked steadily up. Having finished all I could do there I then worked down with acrosses to find to my delight that I had finished. Not unduly taxing but most enjoyable. Thanks to Gazza and Mr Ron. Loved the double pun. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted August 4, 2015 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

A pleasant offering in line with Gazzas difficulty assessment. Learnt that Such means So Great (thx BRB) best clue for me was 13a but I thought 11a was very weak!
    Thx to all.

21. Florence
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the site Hugh. I’m fairly new too. Only been going a few weeks. The help is terrific. Sometimes I manage to finish, other times I get an awful lot wrong. I can now usually manage the Saturday prize puzzle on my own, also Monday, but then it goes slowly downhill for the rest of the week. Today wasn’t too bad for me, but often lacked confidence, and had to check before filling the answer in. I was thrown by 19d, as saw the word draw, and put in tie. Then struggled with 22a until I corrected 19d. 13a was straight in, and I liked 15d. Thanks to the setter, and to Gazza for the review.

22. Jay legs
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

I agree pretty straightforward */*** ;) I needed Gazza’s explanation to fully understand 6d and unless you are a cricketer the “leg” in 25a probably fell on stony ground ;( Still an enjoyable solve. Thanks to those involved

Posted August 4, 2015 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very straightforward puzzle. Liked it, the last two answers took me a while, 15d&25a. Favourite was 13a. Was 2*3* for me. Cloudy and humid now in Central London.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Liked this, and I hope it’s an indication how the rest of the week will be!
    I never did get 25a, but as it is a cricket reference, I’m not surprised; though I should have got the motto part.
    I loved 13a and that’s my fave, but 9d was pretty good too.
    Thanks to setter and to Gazza for his review.

• Hilary
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Love the avatar gosh haven’t they grown, seems like only yesterday when you first told us about them and how tiny they were.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

They are now four months old, I got them at five days old, and are terrorising the rest of us. They are identical in every way, the vet even counted the rings on their tails, and weigh exactly the same. One major change, they are no longer Hamish and Duncan as the vet confirmed they are both girls!

Posted August 4, 2015 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

There’s nothing quite like a ginger kitten. A couple of years ago our elder Pet Lamb was sitting next to her boss at a dinner when they were told that she’d won a massive grant. He said to her, “Jose, you can have anything you want.” She said that she’d like a permanent contract, a pay rise and a ginger kitten. He said that the first two shouldn’t be a problem but that she’d have to sort out the third for herself! She does stick her neck out sometimes.
      Well done to you – they look lovely.

• Jane
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

So – did she get the ginger kitten?

• Miffypops
      Posted August 5, 2015 at 1:09 am | Permalink

So cute the one on the right. And the one on the left. Lucky you

25. Jane
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

More cricket – as if I hadn’t suffered enough with yesterday’s Rookie! Reaching the point where if in future I can’t quite parse something I’ll assume there’s a cricketing term in it that I simply don’t know. Should by now be familiar with RO for run out but as for leg=on…….well, I never!
    Apart from those and being a bit slow on 1a & 3d, no problems to report. Agree with Gazza’s 2*/2*.
    Quite liked 3&15d with favourite going to 12a.
    Glad of an easy one today as a quintet of ‘girlfriends’ came over and whisked me off for a birthday lunch at a lovely fish restaurant overlooking the Menai Strait. High tide, plenty of sunshine over a calm sea and delicious food – not a bad way to spend the day!

Thanks to Mr. Ron and to Gazza for explaining the sports references.
    May try the Toughie later but one of the books TS recommended arrived yesterday and I’m getting really engrossed in that.

• Young Salopian
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

Leg is called the on side as opposed to the off side.

• Young Salopian
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Sorry. Missed the birthday clue. Many happy returns.

• Angel
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Many Happy Returns of the Day, Jane. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Posted August 4, 2015 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday, Jane.
      Leg=On and On=Leg crops up again and again so if you don’t remember anything else about cricket, tuck that into your memory banks.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I’m wise to the “leg” thingy now but still always forget it. There’s Leg=On and there’s On=Leg and then, of course, there’s “Leg over” but maybe I should leave the innuendo to Ray T for Thursday.

• Kitty
          Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Why wait until Thursday? :)

• Hilary
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Lucky you, Many Happy Returns of the Day. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday Jane!
      Many happy returns.

• Florence
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Many Happy Returns Jane. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Kitty
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Many happy returns from me too, Jane. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

EDIT: Woo! – I see BD has put up a banner for you. That is truly an honour http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif.

• Florence
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Sorry Kitty. Don’t understand the comment. What do you mean BD has put up the banner?

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

If you go back up to the top of the whole thing you will see a banner across it saying, in many different ways, “Happy Birthday to Jane” – lots of flags and “stuff”.

• Florence
            Posted August 4, 2015 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Now having a nervous breakdown. Scrolled through everything … See nothing. Help!!! Is it because I am on a mobile phone !!!

• Kitty
              Posted August 4, 2015 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

Ah – it might well be, Florence. It’s at the top as viewed on a web browser, and is also there on my Android Tab. Haven’t checked on mobile though.

EDIT: yes, Hanni is right (see below). No banner on mobile version of site.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday from me too, Jane. It sounds as if you’ve had a lovely day – good – you deserve it.
      I knew that your birthday was August as I think we’ve had the conversation that we’re the same year but I beat you by a couple of months – don’t think that we ever got as far as the actual date.
      A whole banner and all to yourself – wow – what an honour! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Hanni
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Not had a chance to do the crossword yet but happy birthday Jane! Hope you’ve had a wonderful day http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Florence I suspect you are on the mobile version of the site therefore you won’t see the banner. If you look right at the bottom of your screen you should be able to switch to the full site.

• Florence
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks Hanni. Actually I am now on husbands iPad, and can see the lovely banner. Not going mad after all. What a lovely gesture from BD.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Very happy birthday, Jane. Sounds like you celebrated in style!

• Miffypops
      Posted August 5, 2015 at 1:14 am | Permalink

Was it your birthday or one of the girls Jane? Which restaurant? What did you have? Please tell me you shared Oysters and stuck with shellfish. Or Scallops. Mussels? Or a fish stew?

• Jane
        Posted August 5, 2015 at 1:26 am | Permalink

Twas mine, MP – and what a lovely day I’ve had. Did you miss the beautiful birthday banner BD put up for me?
        The restaurant is called Dylan’s and I ate grilled (freshly caught) sea bass with crushed new potatoes, asparagus and hazelnuts.
        Really should be in bed by now – but reluctant to see the day end! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

26. Jaycat
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Not a bad puzzle and certainly doable. Had slight problems with the four letter clues but overall ok.
    2*3* from me.

Thanks to Gazza and setter.

27. Paso Doble
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

We’re very late in today as it was Paso’s sixtieth birthday yesterday and he is celebrating the fact that he can now travel on London Transport without having to reach for his wallet. We enjoyed this puzzle more than Gazza and would give it a **/***. It was mainly completed by Doble who was held up by the cricketing reference. Thanks to Gazza and Mr Ron.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

A very Happy 60th for yesterday to Paso from me. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Kitty
      Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

Many happy returns of the (yester)day Paso :).

28. JonP
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

I found this pretty straightforward except for the potter clue that held me up and made it 2* time. Thanks to Gazza and setter **/***

29. Kitty
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle of the right level of difficulty for Tuesdays. I’ve learnt enough crickety stuff now not to have any trouble with 25a.

Thanks to the setter and Gazza, especially for providing an illustrative sentence where so great = such. I knew the synonym was right but couldn’t quite get my brain to supply an example.

I would like to meet Tommy Stout.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

No horses were frightened by this one but we did find it pleasant enough.
    Happy Birthday Jane.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

Posted August 4, 2015 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward, but not unenjoyable: 1*/3*. 6d and 13a vied for favouritism for a while, but were pipped at the post by 19d – my last in. Thanks to Mr Ron, and to Gazza.

32. Framboise
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Gentle and enjoyable puzzle which did not cause me any trouble except for 5d which I was not too sure of. Admittedly I had gone for finish for 22a and stuffing for 1d but soon discovered the errors of my way! 1.5*/3* with 16a as favourite. Happy birthday to Jane and to Paso for his 60th yesterday which also happened to be our 47th wedding anniversary, vive l’Entente Cordiale! I had not noticed the second pun in the quickie, so clever. Many thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza.

33. Jane
    Posted August 4, 2015 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

GOODNESS – I’m totally overwhelmed. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif
    All those good wishes from you wonderful people AND a birthday banner from BD! My day is now completely perfect – thank you all so much. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif
    Sorry to be so late coming back to you all – No.1 daughter came round this evening (haven’t seen her for ages) and we’ve been having a good Mum/daughter gossip, so no Toughie or book reading for me.
    Isn’t this just a brilliant blog to be a part of………. can’t remember what life was like pre-BD!
    Just a pity that I’m now another year older. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted August 4, 2015 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

No – being a year older is fine, especially if you consider the alternative. Happy Birthday again. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Jane
        Posted August 4, 2015 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

34. Lulubelle
    Posted August 5, 2015 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Feel we need a separate section for those of us (or am I the only one?) who take the cryptic to bed and always bring up the rear! By the time I get to BD all the comments worth making have been made. Still, today’s (now yesterday’s) was nice and easy. Belated Happy Birthday Jane…

• Jane
      Posted August 5, 2015 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Thank you, Lulubelle – it’s been a lovely day.
      Don’t worry about ‘bringing up the rear’ – Tstrummer, who is away on hols at the moment, never gets to post until the wee small hours and I think almost all of us check back on the blog the following day to catch up with his – often hilarious and always pertinent – comments. It would be nice to see that he had some company. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted August 5, 2015 at 1:20 am | Permalink

Hi there Lulubelle. Jane is right (as always) sometimes this blog goes wild after midnight. Who knows what or when. Just post and watch. You may be surprised.