Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Today’s puzzle by Rufus should not give too much trouble. It is heavy on anagrams which give an easy way into the puzzle. I struggled a little at the end with the very clever 13d and 18d holding me up for a moment.

The pat a cake pat a cake grunt grunt grunt has finished for another year. What a great tournament it was. The Rugby season doesn’t start until September so all we have now is the cricket. C’est la Vie.

Miffypops has lovingly crafted the hints and tips below which are here to help and guide you. I hope they serve their purpose. Definitions are underlined. If you still need an answer after reading the hint then press click here and the answer will be revealed. If you do not want to see the answer – do not click.

1a    One helps to define the goal of angry lawyers (8)
CROSSBAR: An irate collection of lawyers (5,3) would give the feature which, together with, two uprights and a net make a goal

6a    I eat outside in German city (6)
MUNICH: Place a verb meaning to eat something steadily and often audibly around the letter I from the clue.

9a    It’s not just a mixture of fun and music (6)
UNFAIR: anagram (mixed) of FUN and add a term meaning a short melodious tune.

10a    Room isn’t fitted for display units (8)
MONITORS: Anagram (fitted) of ROOM ISNT will give you these computer display screens.

11a    Maybe more cuts will attract one (8)
CUSTOMER: Anagram (maybe) of MORE CUTS

12a    Where seconds do the work of a minute (6)
CORNER: A boxing term for one of the men who assists (seconds) a boxer or wrestler in the one minute break between rounds

13a    It’s strictly true, but unimaginative (6-2-4)
MATTER-OF-FACT: Without the hyphens this term means the truth distinct from opinion or conjecture. It also means unemotional and practical.

16a    Private eye puts query in novel to a male (7,5)
ENQUIRY AGENT: an easy anagram (novel) of QUERY IN is followed by A from the clue and a shortened term meaning a very nice chap indeed

19a    Replace points in part of car engine (6)
PISTON: Anagram (replace) of POINTS. As nothing ever goes wrong on modern cars I can only assume that there is nothing there to go wrong and it all works by magic

21a    Old coach  station (8)
VICTORIA: This old coach or coach/railway station is also the name of a former queen of England and a set of waterfalls in Africa. A state in Australia and several cities around the world. Secretly it manufactures underwear for ladies. For those of you daft enough to watch, it is the name of the pub in Eastenders

23a    Authorise   coercive measure (8)
SANCTION: A double definition. The first being a noun meaning official permission or approval for an action.

24a    Powerful Russian fighter gains height reaching capital of Yemen (6)
MIGHTY: Get those Lego bricks out and build yourself an answer. Brick one: the powerful Russian fighter is an aircraft with only three letters to its name. Brick two: height as an abbreviation. Brick three: the capital or first letter of Y(emen). Now join the three bricks together and when you have finished put them nicely back in their box.

25a    Venerate an American patriot (6)
REVERE: Longfellow wrote a poem about this American patriot. It is far too long to reproduce here. Apparently he went out for a trot one night quite late

26a    Girl holds chap back somewhere in Denmark (8)
ELSINORE: Are you sitting comfortably. Then I will begin. To solve this clue we need to guess a girls name of which there are quite a few. We then need to guess a boys name of which there are also quite a few. Actually it is a shortened form of a boy’s name. When we have the right two names we can reverse (back) the shortened boys name and fit it somewhere into (holds) the girls name. With no clues to either name this is surprisingly simple. The whole will make a place in Denmark famous for Kronberg Castle, the home of Hamlet (a fictional character).

2d    Come to an end — like someone’s innings? (3,3)
RUN OUT: To come to an end is to sell all you have of a product. As a cricketing term it is often one of the funniest ways to be dismissed

3d    Well-kept public transport to get backing (5)
SMART: These omnibuses that run on tracks can be reversed to make a word meaning well kept.

4d    Glass or beer-mat needs changing (9)
BAROMETER: This glass which measures atmospheric pressure is an anagram (needs changing) of OR BEER-MAT

5d    Ruth Rendell’s first English detective (7)
REMORSE: Take the first letter of Rendell and add the E from E(nglish). Now add a fictional detective. There are hundreds of these and no clue as to which. For those who never read the comments section he was created by Colin Dexter, liked real ales, solved cryptic crossword puzzles and pottered about in Oxford. For those who read the comments section – Kath’s mate.

6d    Hyperactive chap in charge (5)
MANIC: Take a word for a chap, or any adult male and add the initial letters of I(n) C(harge)

7d    What a fisherman actually gains from his work? (3,6)
NET PROFIT: The gains known as the bottom line. What a fisherman might use to trawl for a catch plus the difference between the amount earned and the amount spent in buying operating or producing something

8d    Transference of money? (8)
CURRENCY: A double definition. The second being a system of money in general use in a particular country.

13d    Growing row over speaker? (9)
MOUSTACHE: This row of hair grows on one’s upper lip just above the mouth or speaker

14d    Prevails in arranging some cover (9)
OVERCOMES: Anagram (in arranging) SOME COVER

15d    Pass on information that’s personal (8)
INTIMATE: A double definition. The first meaning to imply or hint. That is exactly what I am trying to do here.

17d    Go ahead with borrowed money (7)
ADVANCE: The only word that fits once all of the checkers are in also fits both definitions in the clue. It is one of the oldest of chestnuts

18d    Pride may come before, but what comes after a fall? (6)
WINTER: The season that follows the fall (autumn)

20d    I’ve an alternative that’s simple (5)
NAÏVE: Anagram (alternative) of I’VE AN

22d    An ear, perhaps — for music? (5)
ORGAN: A double definition the second being a large musical instrument having rows of pipes supplied with air from bellows (now usually electrically powered), and played using a keyboard or by an automatic mechanism. The pipes are generally arranged in ranks of a particular type, each controlled by a stop, and often into larger sets linked to separate keyboards.

Welcome to the world Theodore Ren Hawkins. What a little smasher you are.

The Quick Crossword pun: purr+cushion=percussion

1. omar
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Yes, entertaining puzzle, pretty straightforward , 13 and 18 down caused me the most trouble – both ok clues although I felt that the ‘pride comes before..’ part of 18 was a little poor in the sense that I assumed it had some cryptic significance rather than merely being there to mislead….anyway, thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops

Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:18 am | Permalink

I agree with 2*/4*. Brilliantly entertaining stuff, with the SW putting up the most fight.

I wouldn’t know where to begin to try to select a favourite.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

3. Hanni
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink

*/***+

A wet Monday morning brightened by a fine crossword. Anagram overload, pencils deployed and some humour. What more could I want?

Pretty much R&W. Biggest hold up was attempting to make an anagram of ‘prevails in’ for 14d. Yes I know the letter count doesn’t even match.

Many thanks to the setter for making me smile and to Miffypops for you usual fabulous blog and for making me utter something like, “Holy luck”, when I saw your avatar.

Welcome to little Theodore. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Edit..forgot to add, although the highly skilled and hugely entertaining women’s game has finished at SW19, you have the ‘oinkball’, as I think you call it, to look forward to before the rugby.

4. Senf
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink

A gentle introduction to the week completed comfortably before lights out last night. 5d and 8d (last one in) were head scratchers for me and have to be my favourites I hope England keep up the momentum they started in Cardiff to get the Ashes back. Thanks to Rufus and MP.

5. Beaver
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Thanks Miffypops for the review, can’t get sound in the office ,so will have to wait till I get home to play the videos-i’ll have to wait for the James Taylor connection, always liked Manfred Mann’s version of the Dylan song and Mike d’Abo’s singing in preference to Paul Jones. Back to business , agree with the rating-just the ticket for a Monday- after a lengthy test match victory celebration yesterday. Favourite 13d for the d’oh moment

6. Jaycat
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:33 am | Permalink

A very doable puzzle with some wit and humour included. Enjoyed 13d and 18d. I am still a bit hazy about http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif 8d where I can find no correlation between the answer and “transference”. I am sure someone will enlighten me.
    2*/3.5*
    Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops

• Jaycat
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Maybe not then…….

• Jane
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Jaycat,
        Unless someone can come up with anything better – one of the definitions of the answer is ‘medium of exchange’. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Kitty
          Posted July 13, 2015 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Other definitions include “circulation” and “dissemination” – but it seems to me a little bit too much of a leap from there to the answer. Maybe we are all missing something. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Hanni
            Posted July 13, 2015 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

You’re right. Currency comes from the ME ‘curraunt’, in circulation.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif But that’s tenuous, perhaps RD can help.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

No use asking me. I only went to a comprehensive school (when I went). My o level results spelled FUDGE

• Jaycat
        Posted July 14, 2015 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Ok, well as the double definition hint doesn’t seem to work in this case I just wondered what others think? I can find no viable match for transference and currency?

• Sleepyhead
          Posted July 15, 2015 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Transference as in electrical conductivity… Current?

• Jane
            Posted July 16, 2015 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Sleepyhead you may be but dozy – never. Liking that one! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

7. RMGW
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I thought 21a referred to a type of horse-drawn carriage (Ie coach) introduced into this country by Edward VII when he was Prince of Wales and named after his mother (and the station)

Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:54 am | Permalink

You’ve used a new alias so your comment needed moderation. Both aliases should work from now on.

• Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

That was what MP intended, but I added the word railway and somehow it read differently.

8. Patsyann
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Can someone think of a sentence using the word Ruth in the meaning of 5 down? Enjoyable crossword. Thanks to compiler and to miffypops

• Miffypops
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Nope but I do not mind having an excuse to post this. Thank you.

Ruth
      By Thomas Hood
      She stood breast high amid the corn,
      Clasped by the golden light of morn,
      Like the sweetheart of the sun,
      Who many a glowing kiss had won.

On her cheek an autumn flush,
      Deeply ripened;—such a blush
      In the midst of brown was born,
      Like red poppies grown with corn.

Round her eyes her tresses fell,
      Which were blackest none could tell,
      But long lashes veiled a light,
      That had else been all too bright.

And her hat, with shady brim,
      Made her tressy forehead dim;—
      Thus she stood amid the stooks,
      Praising God with sweetest looks:—

Sure, I said, heaven did not mean,
      Where I reap thou shouldst but glean,
      Lay thy sheaf adown and come,
      Share my harvest and my home.

• Ginny
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Lovely way to imagine Ruth

• Una
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I am inclined to agree with you , Patsyann , I must be missing something. I was trying to think of words meaning the opposite of ruthless, like kind or caring but I got it from the checkers.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

It’s a bit like ‘kempt’ – no-one is ever described as that – only unkempt.

• Slartibartfast
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Kept is in dictionaries as meaning “combed”, and kemb as “to comb”.
        But as you say, no one uses them anymore
        I think I’ll start a trend.

• Senf
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t sure about this one; but, I worked it out from the checkers and then RUTH is shown in Chambers Crossword Dictionary under the listing of the answer.

• Angel
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I have found “The criminal displayed no ruth when admitting his misdeeds to the judge” but I’m not too sure about that. Ruthless is easier as antonym of merciful. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I always enjoy a Rufus, and today was no different, however I thought some of the clues a bit obscure , such as 12a, 13d, and 5d.
    Thanks Miffypops and Rufus.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

I agree with 2* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    I also got into a bit of a pickle with 13 and 18d but my last answer was 12a – if it’s not football, rugby, cricket or golf it’s boxing!
    There were certainly a lot of anagrams but some of them were really clever – I like anagrams anyway so I’m not complaining.
    I love James Taylor but not so keen on Mike d’Abo – I liked Paul Jones too much – still do.
    Far too many brilliant clues today to pick out any particular ones but I did think 5d was wonderful, even without the Morse connection.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops – who’s Theodore?
    Raining in Oxford – I’m pleased – garden is so dry. Making bread, about to do large pile of ironing then Mr Rookie.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Yes, Kath! Mike D’Abo http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif. Paul Jones http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Jane
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Kath,
      Rookie territory is a minefield today. If you’ve ever done one of those Codewords and realised – too late – that you’ve made a blunder somewhere along the way, then you’ll know what to expect! I doubt there are any ‘real’ words that will fit into the gaps I’ve got left. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted July 13, 2015 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Oh – damn – thanks for the warning. Ironing done, bread out of oven, just about to take poorly lawn mower into his hospital for a bit of treatment (I hope) and was keeping Mr Rookie as a reward for when I got back. Maybe not . . .

11. Vince
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

You need to correct your hint for 10a. The anagram is from ROOM ISN’T (not UNITS).

• pommers
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Well spotted Vince. I’ve put it right.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Doh. Solved at 2.30am. Blogged after sleep at 7.30am. Thanks for pointing it out.

12. Jane
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Nice one, Rufus. Just what I needed by way of relaxation after the unequal struggle with the latest Rookie. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif
    Odd bits of GK that were easy enough to get although I did retrospectively check on a couple of them.
    Really liked 1,12& 13a – special mention to 9a for the lovely surface read. 1.5*/3.5* for me.

Many thanks for maintaining your usual high standard of humour in the blog, MP – I was very careful to put all the Lego bricks back tidily in the box! Music clips quite acceptable today, although I’m with Kath in the d’Abo/Jones debate. As for Mr. Botham’s interview, no doubt it made perfect sense to our cricket fans. Personally, if I’d been the poor s.. he got run out, I’d have clobbered him over the head with my bat. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

So……..who is Theodore?

• Miffypops
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I so wanted to put Bob Dylan in but thought you would prefer the Manfreds. Allegedly Geoffrey Boycott sat in the dressing room with his pads still on muttering “themselves my runs” every time the crowd cheered another Botham score.

• Franco
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

(Sir?) Geoffrey Boycott very rarely played an attacking shot … so Sir Ian was quite safe – even without a helmet.

13. silvanus
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Matchless magnificence from our Monday maestro!

Una’s three obscurities were my three favourites for their clever wordplay and misdirection. 18d was spotted fairly quickly and 7d is a familiar old chestnut.

Very enjoyable to whizz through. Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

P.S.
    Apologies if it has already been mentioned elsewhere on the blog, but for fellow fans of “Only Connect”, a new series begins tonight at 8.30 pm on BBC2, and one of the competing teams is called the Cluesmiths, comprising three crossword compilers. Should be good!

Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

… One of the members of the Cluesmiths team is Micawber.

• silvanus
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Gazza. I had wondered if any of them were known to us!

Posted July 13, 2015 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

The other two on the team are Richard Heald and John Tozer.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

Thanks silvanus and gazza – will definitely have to watch “Only Connect” now. All I need to do is convince husband . . .
      Who are Richard Heald and John Tozer? Obviously they’re crossword setters – what names am I likely to know them by?

• silvanus
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

That I don’t know I’m afraid, but Googling them was quite interesting…..as well as their respective crossword pedigrees, Richard Heald was an eight time Countdown champion in 2005!

• Posted July 13, 2015 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Both Mick and Richard are regulars at S&B meetings. Mick (on the right) was at S&B 12

… and Richard at an S&B (Midlands) meeting

• Jane
            Posted July 13, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Didn’t they do well – and didn’t I do as badly as usual. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted July 13, 2015 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Yes – they did well and we did badly too! That’s why they’re there and we watch them doing well! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Owdoo
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Best quiz on tv. My better half and I enjoy it immensely but rarely watch it “live” as we’re both busy in Monday evenings. Thank goodness for Sky+

Today’s puzzle seemed like a pushover to start with but the SW corner put up some resistance making it a 2*/3* overall for me.
      Thanks to both Rufus and Miffypops.

14. Spook
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Nice puzzle to start me off after several weeks sailing round the med, it took a bit of time but thanks to masterly hints and tips from Miffypops it all ended well in the end.
    So many good clues from Rufus but if I had to pick a favourite, just for pure silliness it would have to be 6a, closely followed by 26a.
    A few weeks rest now before the next jaunt.
    I didn’t catch much of the grunt and groan from Sw19, thank goodness but as we say thank goodness for the rugby.

15. SheilaP
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Loved today’s crossword, that’s all that needs to be said except thank you to all concerned. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

16. Florence
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Spent the weekend painting the flat of my empty nesters. Many hands make light work. Or was it out of sheer fear that they may return to home comforts? It was good to make a mess in their place for once.
    Saturday’s puzzle finished over breakfast, and today’s over lunch. No problem with 13d or 18d, but had to ‘click here’ for 25a and 26a. Very enjoyable today, so would give 2*/4*. Thanks to the setter, and to Miffypops.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Hmmm – painting. In my considerable experience the amount of mess is however much you’d make on your own multiplied by the number of people involved! Just don’t ask . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

• Florence
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Is this a good time to ask if you can do my ironing too, now that you have finished yours???

Posted July 13, 2015 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Probably not! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

17. Vancouverbc
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

***/***. Deducted a * for enjoyment because I don’t like archaic terms (5d). The rest was very enjoyable and especially liked 18d. Thanks to the setter and MP.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Loved so many of these, can’t choose a fave, but I thought 13d and 18d were masterly.
    I never did get 12a, but I don’t mind as I am certainly not about to learn boxing terminology, adding that to my ignorance of soccer, cricket, et al.
    Thanks to Rufus and to M’pops for our Monday treat!

Posted July 13, 2015 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

P.S. Yes, exactly WHO is Theodore? Aren’t you going to give us ladies a chance to ooh and aah?

• Hilary
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

And a picture please.

19. Angel
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Rather dry and overburdened with anagrams. 8d last to go in and anyway I’m not too keen on that one. Thank you Rufus and MP. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

Posted July 13, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I was so absorbed by the rookie that I almost forgot about Rufus.
    Couldn’t remember the Danish place though and looking at a map didn’t really help.
    Remembered the boxing clue as Gazza explained it to me not long ago.
    A great crossword with many favourites.
    Thanks to Rufus and to MP for the review.

21. Hilary
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

After yesterday’s blissful crossword i always think that Monday might be an anti-climax but definitely not. Looked long and hard at 18d until it dawned, giggled as 13d tickled my fancy. Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops for a great start to the week it can only go downhill from here. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

22. Nickinchester
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed today’s puzzle, and managed to finish, even though I didn’t know why 25a was the right answer so thank you for the explanation. The main problem today was keeping cool – it’s day 1 of 14 in Crete, so lots of crossword time and no work!! (Sorry if that’s depressed you all). http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Do the cash machines work there at the moment?

• Nickinchester
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Yes it’s all working fine here – and the pool bar is well stocked, thank goodness!!

Posted July 13, 2015 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Sounds lovely – think you should change your name to Nickincrete!
          Apparently the euros are going to start being printed on “greeceproof” paper.

• silvanus
            Posted July 13, 2015 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

That did make me laugh :-)

23. dutch
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Only got to this later today after battling with the rookie puzzle. Not quite as gentle as most Mondays. Thanks Miffypops for explaining 12a, I wasn’t aware of the boxing term so I wasn’t going to get it. Something else to remember.

Lovely clues, too many to mention. I thought the anagrams were very nicely worked into the surface. Very pleasant solve,

Thanks Rufus and Miffypops

24. mre
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

After waiting an age for the caff’s Telegraph to emerge started well but got held up in SW corner. Didn’t bat on as a nodding terms regular was after the paper too.

On the plus side managed the Times crossword while waiting for the Telegraph…

25. Cat
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Only just got round to this but definitely agree **/****. Really liked 13d, very clever. I got the right answer straightaway for 18d but kept trying to fit ‘pride’ in somehow, until the other letters meant it must be correct. I’d never heard of the American patriot but took a guess. Some rather witty clues, I thought.

26. Poppy
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much, Miffypops for a splendiferous review….. And now about Theodore – is he related to the wondrous Harrison who brought us all such joy at Kath’s place? And will a pic be forthcoming for us to ooh and ahh? And are you fed up with all the questions? Anyway thanks to you and the setter for much enjoyment.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

27. Kitty
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

As so often is the case on a Monday there were plenty of easy but beautifully crafted clues, then a few stubborn ones left towards the end for me to frown over for a while.

I was delayed guessing the anagram at 4d because I wouldn’t have equated glass with the answer, but checkers came to my rescue there. A couple of other synonyms made me “hmm” too. I had to look up my answer to 25a to discover the patriot, and also had to check the 24a Russian fighter. I nearly had gave up with 12a even though I had guessed that it was a boxing thing – the word just didn’t occur to me for an age. Silly me! To add to that, I had to look up 26a: too many names to choose from and geography not my strong suit.

I wasn’t sure about the fairness of all the padding for 18d. Maybe that was because I spent ages hunting for wordplay, missed the fall, gave up and cheated. Grr.

I liked the definition in 1a and also enjoyed 5d and – after the penny dropped – 13d. I shall go for 9a as favourite.

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffy for the brilliantly entertaining hints.

Welcome Theodore, whoever you are.

• Jane
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Kitty,
      Meant to mention – I bet you smiled at the Quickie pun! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Kitty
        Posted July 13, 2015 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

I did, Jane! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

I’ve actually only just done the Quickie – now I wish I’d looked at it before commenting, because I would have made that my favourite http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. I found this quite tricky in places. Had victim for 18d, which stopped me from getting 26a. Favourite was 13d, was 2*/3* for me. Very humid & cloudy in Central London.

29. ICantWaitForBriansComments
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Hi all
    I’ve been a DT cryptic crossword junkie for years and was delighted when I stumbled across the hints and blog! Very helpful and entertaining. I read it every day… even when I have a good day. Feel like I know you all a bit but wonder if I am the only one who waits for Brian’s comments every day… superb!

• Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog ICantWaitForBriansComments

• Jane
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

No, you’re not the only one by any means! A day without a Brian comment is a sad day for all of us. However, I am somewhat concerned that your chosen alias may go to his head a little………http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Hello from me too. You are not alone. Plenty wait for Brian’s comments.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too and no, you’re not alone in waiting for Brian’s comment every day although, like Jane I worry about the size of his head! Please keep commenting – I feel as if you could be a great asset to this very wonderful blog! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Hanni
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too. I think Brian’s fab! Even better when him and CS are in discussion.

Posted July 14, 2015 at 6:38 am | Permalink

• Jane
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

In case you haven’t already ‘clocked’ it – alternate Thursdays are his best days. The splutterings of indignation reverberate around the blog. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

30. Gwizz
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Spelling 20d incorrectly did not help my cause one bit. It took me ages to realise… not a good start to the week! Oh well.
    Favourite clue? 1a I think even though it is a bit of an old chestnut.
    Thanks to Rufus and MP.

31. Paso Doble
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Great Monday puzzle from Rufus as usual….and thanks to Miffypops for the entertainment….

Posted July 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

A nice start to the week: 1*/3*. I thought 13d was a great clue. Thanks to Rufus, and to Miffypops for the review.

33. Framboise
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle , just the ticket for the beginning of the week. No real difficulty but much enjoyment. Loved 5d and 13d! 18d made me chuckle. Looking after our babes for three days as their au pair has gone to Greece of all places! Wondering if my country will be next … We certainly live through turbulent times. 1.5*/4*. Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review.

Posted July 13, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

On a completely non-crossword topic but MP did put a James Taylor clip for 18d – just for anyone who loves him as much as I do (JT that is – not MP although we do, of course, all love him too!) go on a hunt for James Taylor at Squibnocket. It’s a recording of a rehearsal at his barn – it’s amazing. We used to have a VHS tape of it but, unfortunately, it went the way of all those kinds of things – got lent to people and never quite found its own way home again! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Jane
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 10:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that, Kath – and what a lovely, almost bashful, smile he has. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

If only my bands rehearsals had been filmed. What a treasure trove of clips that would be. We split up due to musical differences. Some band members were musical. Some were different

Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

. . . and Theodore . . . ?

• Jane
          Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

Oh Kath – what have I told you about MP and the bait. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

• Miffypops
            Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane and Kath. The new addition is my great nephew on Saint Sharon’s side. The photos are all on Saint Sharon’s electrickery. Not mine. I may post next week if his parents are ok with it. We will meet him in Barrow In Furness on September 4th

• Jane
              Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

Is his mum called Rosie, by any chance?

• Miffypops
                Posted July 14, 2015 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Yes Rosie Grace Hawkins nee Lawson

• Jane
                  Posted July 14, 2015 at 12:12 am | Permalink

Mr. Google had it right then!

• Miffypops
                    Posted July 14, 2015 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Clever girl. Both you and Rosie

35. Jane
    Posted July 13, 2015 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Hi, TS – guess you’ll be popping in ‘ere long.
    Just to let you know that JT turned up this weekend and was devoured in two sittings. Only partial to a few of the cartoons (Matt is still my favourite) and I think Mr. Dahl has cornered the market in revolting nursery rhymes but the selection of stories had me almost crying with laughter. The Secret Life of James Thurber, Walter Mitty, Macbeth, Sex Ex Machina……… I could go on and on!
    Thank you so much for the introduction – I’ll be heading back to Amazon et al for more. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Tstrummer
      Posted July 14, 2015 at 1:08 am | Permalink

So glad you like it. He is, in my view, the greatest humorist. The writing is just magnificent and laugh-out-loud funny. The later stuff is more like Brian, because he grew very grumpy as he grew blinder and blinder and lacks the fun of the earlier material. If I had to pick a favourite, under Kath’s rules, it would have to be “Bateman comes home”. Read it out loud in a Deep South accent – it’s like the idiot offspring of William Faulkner and Carson McCullers trying to write while dead drunk. I would humbly suggest that you linger longer over the cartoons (one of my specialist subjects – I choose the little ones in The Times every day). There is an absurdist streak that was very different from anything anyone else was doing in the 20s and 30s and the captions are masterpieces of idiocy. And if you like dogs…

36. Tstrummer
    Posted July 14, 2015 at 1:17 am | Permalink

Rufus never fails to please. Another cracker tonight. I loved it all. I don’t know why folk are perturbed by “Ruth” – it’s a crossword staple (and a definition I only learnt through cryptic crosswords) which comes up all the time. In Boston, Paul Revere is the local hero: you can visit his house, go up the Franklin Tower and see a giant illuminated model of his late night ride, eat Paul Revere burgers and drink Paul Revere cocktails. There was also a 60s band called Paul Revere and the Raiders; they may still be around at a Butlin’s near you.
    As regards Manfred Mann, no, no, no, no. D’Abo or Jones? Neither. Dylan? Yes please.
    Many thanks to Rufus for keeping up the good work and MP for the shimmering review: MP gets an extra star for the cheese shop sketch and Rufus gets 1*/3*