Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ** – Enjoyment ***

The heading that says 2Kiwis is not quite correct as there is only one of us today. Grandchildren minding duties in Wellington being the reason. Next week it will be no Kiwis as we will both be away in the South Island, so a surprise Mr Ron blogger to look forward to.
With only one solver, I found it hard to judge the relative difficulty but it did seem to be pretty typical for a Wednesday Jay puzzle, maybe towards the gentler end of the spectrum, and the Quickie pun was certainly gentler than last week.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on today’s puzzle.

1a     Visitor and partner must accept independent judge (10)
GUESTIMATE : A word for a visitor and a word for a partner (or perhaps a pal) have I(ndependent) placed between.

6a     Demands barrels be topped (4)
ASKS : Remove the first letter from a synonym for barrels.

10a     Colour of bedroom with no central heating (5)
AMBER : Take the two letter abbreviation for central heating from the beginning of an old-fashioned word for a bedroom.

11a     Evidence of faith in setter Nick? (3,6)
DOG COLLAR : The first word is what a setter could be a variety of, and then find another informal word meaning to arrest.
imgres

12a     A role played by church in infectious disease (7)
CHOLERA : An anagram (played) of A ROLE is placed after an abbreviation for church.

13a     Escort rebellious mutineer, abandoning leader (7)
RETINUE : An anagram (rebellious) of mUTINEER after the first letter has been abandoned.
images

14a     Dialogue that’s a source of tension in Metamorphosis (12)
CONVERSATION : A word meaning metamorphosis or change has A from the clue and the first letter of tension (source) inserted.

18a     Police outfit pins the local criminal (12)
PLAINCLOTHES : An anagram (criminal) of PINS THE LOCAL.

21a     Land recently vacated by European nobleman (7)
COUNTRY : A European nobleman equivalent to an earl is followed by the first and last letters (vacated), of recently.

23a     Barge in, twisting under it (7)
INTRUDE : An anagram (twisting) of UNDER IT.

24a     Wonderful book left in Madeira, possibly (9)
ADMIRABLE : The abbreviations for B(ook) and L(eft) are both included in an anagram (possibly) of MADEIRA.

25a     Absent peer regularly making bid (5)
OFFER : Absent or away is followed by the second and fourth letters (regularly) of peer.

26a     Starts to eat — needs drink, so finishes (4)
ENDS : the first letters of four consecutive words in the clue.

27a     Spooner’s impudence therefore showing sound judgement (5,5)
HORSE SENSE : Swapping first letters of the answer gives sounds-like synonyms for impudence and therefore.
images

1d     Grand knight in fancy material gets sideways look (6)
GLANCE : First the abbreviation for grand, then the chess notation for a knight is placed inside a delicate ornamental fabric.

2d     All together, once resolved to accept cover for bail (2,4)
EN BLOC : An expression borrowed from French. An anagram (resolved) of ONCE has the first and last letters of bail included.

3d      A crowd maybe indicate performance is a test of skill on the road (5-5,4)
THREE-POINT TURN : The first word comes from the expression “If two is company………”. Next a synonym for indicate and then one for a performance on stage perhaps.
images

4d     Leave maid to work, being old-fashioned! (9)
MEDIAEVAL : An anagram (to work) of LEAVE MAID.

5d     Woods, for example, has row about golf (5)
TIGER : Golf in the clue gives a very broad hint in the right direction but here it is the radio communication code word for G which is inserted in a word for a row or rank.
imgres

7d     Grand lost initially in outlay I put on diamonds (8)
SPLENDID : The first letter of lost is put inside a word to outlay money, then ‘I’ from the clue and D(iamonds).

8d     Officer‘s gear sent for repair (8)
SERGEANT : An anagram (for repair) of GEAR SENT. And in anticipation of all the comments, I am sure Jay meant a police one rather than the military one.

9d     Offences of formal assemblies holding pictures up (14)
CONTRAVENTIONS : A three letter word that can describe pictures generally in reversed and inserted into a word for formal discussion gatherings.

15d     A barrister’s fees for servants (9)
RETAINERS : Double definition.

16d     Technologically-advanced step adopted by green (5-3)
SPACE-AGE : A step or stride is inside a colour named after a herb.

17d     Cleaned up in short holiday with United (twice) on the sea (8)
VACUUMED : A short word for a holiday, usually from university, is followed by the repeated abbreviation for united, then that ‘middle of the world’ sea.

19d     Gasp over popular bird (6)
PUFFIN : What you do when you are out of breath, then the two letter ‘popular’.
images

20d     Extent to which order’s good for cold? (6)
DEGREE : Take a word that means an order and replace the C(old) inside it with G(ood).

22d     Lout‘s blog oddly coming after setting up youth (5)
YOBBO : The first and third letters of ‘blog’ are placed after the inversion of a synonym for a youth.

Favourite vote this week goes to 3d.

Quickie pun   millet  +  hairy  =  military

Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I agree with 1K’s rating of 2*/3*, and choice of 3d as favourite. This was a very nice but not too taxing puzzle. 20d was my last one in.

Many thanks to Jay and the half of the 2K’s combo who hasn’t gone AWOL today.

• Little Dave
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

18a. What a terrific clue. Best one I can remember for a long time. Tremendous. And a great puzzle. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

2. Nev
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Fairly straightforward today with no real problems. Agree with the 2*/3* rating. Thanks to Jay and half of the 2kiwis!

3. Miffypops
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:27 am | Permalink

20d beat me so thank you Colin. Thank you Jay. Otherwise a typical Jay puzzle, slowish start – rapid finish. I am looking forward to some real tennis today after watching the girls patting balls about yesterday.

• spindrift
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I wonder what Ms Sharapova sounds like when she gets really excited…

• Hanni
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

The mind boggles Spindrift!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

And MP patting ???

• Miffypops
          Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

As defined in the BRB. I rest my case.

• Sim
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Genuinely can’t watch them – hope the non grunters get to the final http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Miffypops
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Something you and i will never find out Spinnie old pal

• Young Salopian
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

We call our coffee percolator Maria as it makes exactly the same strange guttural sounds as her.

• oddjob
        Posted July 9, 2015 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Camel noises possibly?

• oddjob
          Posted July 10, 2015 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Monica seles.
          Shame it was missed

• Angel
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Male or female you won’t see Real Tennis at Wimbledon!

4. dutch
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:28 am | Permalink

many thanks 1K for the blog – for some reason the illustration to 3d made me laugh.

1a was my last one in. I really like 11a (evidence of faith in setter..) and 18a (police outfit pins…). 5d (Woods, for example, has…) has the makings of a great clue, but it feels like a deception opportunity on “Woods” has been missed.

The Spoonerism (27a) felt somewhat contrived and humourless to me (sauce hence?), using the criteria of whether our dear reverend would have likely said this, I think it fails. 10a (colour of bedroom) I think I would have preferred just room rather than bedroom.

Many thanks 1K & J

5. mre
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:31 am | Permalink

New commenter.

That ‘Spooner’ clue was pretty dismal. I never enjoy ‘Spooners’ and regard them rather as Johnson viewed patriotism.

Anyway, how do you ascertain who the setters are?

Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, mre.
      Information on how we know (some of) the setters can be found in the FAQ.

• mre
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Thankyou

• Miffypops
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Hello mre. Welcome to the blog. I hate spooner clues. In fact I hate them so much I do not bother with them at all.

• Brian
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

I normally love them but agree that today’s was just pathetic and unfunny.

• mre
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Thankyou

On this occasion I left the first word uncompleted in protest. If I’d have actually bought the paper myself I’d have been fuming…

6. Hanni
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:57 am | Permalink

**/****

Smashing stuff from Jay. Held up a bit in the SW corner because, once again, I couldn’t read my own writing. This resulted in reading the second letter of 17d as a ‘B’.

Favourite is 11a with 3d coming a close second.

Many thanks to Jay and to 1Kiwi for a great blog.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Hi Hanni,
      Struggling a bit to figure out how you managed to make an A look like a B. M&N, U&V I can understand but you must have really written with a flourish to arrive at that one! Maybe time to buy those new pencils you mentioned?

By the way, don’t let MP wind you up over the ‘patting’ issue – I’d pay good money to see him face a few serves from Ms. Williams or Ms. Sharapova. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Miffypops
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Bobby Riggs. I rest my case here too.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Excuse me – Billie Jean beat him quite soundly and it was somewhat pathetic that people found it necessary to plead that he intentionally threw the match. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Miffypops
            Posted July 8, 2015 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

I think you will find Riggs won 6 – 2 6 – 1 in his match against Margaret Court. He lost to Billie Jean King who was 26 years his junior. I cannot believe that after warning Hanni not to take the bait you took it yourself.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Yes he did – not disputing that – my ‘beef’ is over your apparent contempt for the women whose abilities far exceed those of most of the rest of us, regardless of sex. Ladies tennis may not appeal to you as a spectator sport but that in no way diminishes their excellence in their field. To be honest, there are times when I find the men’s singles nothing more than – I’ll send you a few non-returnable serves and then you can do the same to me until one of us makes a mistake. My ideal match would be one of the Rod Laver days of men’s doubles – skill, risks, humour and darned good entertainment.

As for taking the bait – that’s precisely why you put it out there, MP – a little like our lovely Kitty with her innuendoes. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Miffypops
                Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Ouch, and guilty as charged on the count of winding up, not guilty on the contempt charge. I admire the sheer guts and dedication that takes anybody to the top of any sport or pastime or those who strive to improve their knowledge of whatever subject. I will behave as I know i ought to Jane but the mischeif in me will find another way to express itself. I will paint the bathroom ceiling as a penance.

Ps I once met a girl in the middle of a tennis court, her name was Annette. I also went out with a tennis playing girl but it went nowhere. Love meant nothing to her

• Hanni
                  Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Terrible joke MP. I did like your Greek one yesterday.

• Hanni
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Ahh well, a capital A looks a little like a B, especially when you have perhaps dropped some raspberry jam onto your crossword. It was very nice jam.

Now about patting. I pat horses when they haven’t thrown me off. I have an Auntie Pat. I’ve heard of a postman called Pat. My boss occasionally gives me a pat on the back. Patting a tennis ball is a new one. Although I possibly quite fancied Pat Cash.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Sorry Hanni – I hadn’t taken raspberry jam into account!
          As for patting – as the senior of the two of us I insist on having first right to ‘pat’ Pat Cash. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Hanni
            Posted July 8, 2015 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

I’ll stick to Ian Hislop.

Has anyone noticed that Rick hasn’t posted in awhile? Hope he’s OK. I enjoyed hearing about his James Bond cars.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Re your last sentence: that would be a real treat and wonder how close he’d get his racquet to the ball.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

I’ll go for 2* difficulty and nearer a 4* for enjoyment.
    I’m the opposite of Miffypops – on Wednesdays I usually start off well, then slow down and finally grind to a complete halt with the last two or three – today was no exception.
    The 18a anagram was my last one and I didn’t get that until I had alternate letters. I was also slow with 20d.
    Unluckily (stupidly?) for me the 13a anagram can also be “Reunite” – I couldn’t justify it but it caused a brief hiccup in the top right corner.
    While I was doing this it felt as if there were quite a lot of anagrams but maybe not.
    I liked 18a and, even though it’s stuff I don’t usually understand, 5d. I hardly dare mention it because I know I’m well and truly in the minority but I also liked the Spoonerism, and the piccy of the horse! My favourite was 3d and I liked that piccy too.
    With thanks to Jay and to the Kiwi.
    Not sure about Toughie – weather is so miserable in Oxford that I’ll probably have a go at it but I think I can’t usually do proXimal – oh well, there’s always the tennis.

• Vancouverbc
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

I did likewise with 13a until I was forced to revisit the NE corner due to frustration. A ***/*** for me and thanks to the setter and 1K for the review.

8. Robin Newman
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

thought 11A was quite neat

9. Jane
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Much in tune with others today – very slow on the 18a anagram and 20d was the last one in.

Didn’t realise that 1a is an accepted ‘real’ word nor that it can be spelled with either one ‘s’ or two.
    27a – Got the answer easily enough but couldn’t fathom out the spoonerism (no change there!). Loved the pic!
    4d – thank goodness the checkers were in place, I always get something mixed up in that one.
    8d – yes, 1K, I did wonder whether a sergeant in the army actually qualifies for the rank of officer – than you for the reminder about our police force.

Favourite spot goes to 11a with a mention for 2&3d. 2*/3.5* for me.
    Thanks to Jay and to 1K – enjoy your time on South Island.

• Angel
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

8d – a military sergeant is of course a non-commissioned OFFICER (NCO).

Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Angel – that hadn’t occurred to me. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

10. silvanus
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Fairly smooth progress without any real hold-ups (unlike England’s batting in Cardiff).

I had always thought that 1a was spelt with a double “s” – until today! Like Dutch I felt that the spoonerism was unamusing and contrived, and I thought 3d was rather clunky, but otherwise it was an enjoyable solve.

Favourite was the anagram in 18a.

Many thanks to Jay and the 1Kiwi.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Same feeling with the spoonerism. Pretty nearly poor. Bottom lines gave me a hard time today.
    1a was a strange word for me also.
    1d and 16d both favourites.
    I was in NZ last night. Brokenwood has made it on French TV. Nice characters but O, what a tangled web we weave.
    Haven’t seen anything of the tennis.
    The sound sometimes is so fine tuned that you can almost hear what the players think. And it sounds like Australian farmers talking to their horses while pulling a stump jump across the field.
    Thanks to Jay and to Colin for the review.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Hi JL – if you’ve found a way of getting to NZ and back in one night perhaps we can get the 2Ks to make a return visit for the next birthday bash?!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

If you’re going to be there, I’ll definitely make an effort to attend. Thanks also for your support last night but I’m still going nowhere with the monthly prize.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Hi JL – I was desp. trying to give you a hint that wouldn’t be deleted – try ignoring the blacked out bits!

• jean-luc cheval
            Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jane,
            You’re a star.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

For me it’s was a ****/*. Don’t think I have struggled with a crossword this badly for a long time. Couldn’t even unpick most of the clues let alone supply an answer. Totally not on the setters wavelength today. Even those I did answer like 10a I needed the hint to tell me what is had to do with bedroom. Completely depressed now esp as I suspect tomorrow may be another impossible crossword.
    Thx to 1kiwi for the much needed hints.

13. Beaver
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I’d just ban spoonerisms! and 1a not a proper word for me, just an Americanism in my view. Anyway apart from that agree with the remaining K’s rating ,had a trip to puffin island recently but they must have been fishing or in their burrows -never mind.14a last in and a d’oh moment as one of my son’s is one.3d probably the outstanding clue,great surface reading. Fingers crossed for our men in Cardiff.

Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Hi Beaver – sorry you missed the Puffins, there are a few pairs back there but not always easy to spot from the boat. If you are likely to be around next season I can try to get you a place on one of the ‘landing’ parties – just let me know.

By the way – you have a son who’s a 14a? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

14. Angel
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

R & W in the North but a little more taxing in the South. Overall good fun. Thanks Jay. Fav 3d for me too. Needed help with parsing 27a hence TVM Solo Kiwi. **/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

15. Young Salopian
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Single K is spot on for me with **\*** although I was tempted to give this excellent Jay puzzle an extra star for enjoyment if only for 18a, my favourite today. Took a little longer than necessary as listening to TMS as England rebuild in Cardiff thanks to some of the Yorkshire contingent. Thanks to setter and the lone antipodean.

16. Gwizz
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Not bad, not bad. I quite enjoyed today’s offering actually. 1a was my favourite simply because was unexpected I think. 2/3* over all.
    Thanks to Jay for exercising the little grey cells and to 1K for maintaining the standards of Antipodean crossword blogs…

17. Jay legs
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle with some good clues */**** :) Did not realise that 1a was a proper word, I now know how to spell 4d and had to have the spoonerisms explained. Thanks to Jay and the Lone Kiwi ;)

18. pommers
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Haven’t even looked at this one yet. Had a busy afternoon watching the Ashes, Tennis and Tour de France. It requires 2 tellies and a computer. But worth it methinks http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Now off to tackle it in the local’s aircon as it’s f’ot here.. See y’all later.

19. Jaycat
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Agree with Brian, found it difficult. Must be a wavelength thing again? Parsing was painful. 3.5 * \ 3* thanks for hints to 1kiwi and Jay for the challenge !http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

20. Bob H
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this until 27a and 20d. Although I guessed the answer it still does not make any sense to me whatsoever. What’s does “sorse hence” mean ? can anyone explain further. I did not put the answer in but even if I had I doubt if I would have got 20d. Thanks to 1K.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Hi Bob,
      Look at Dutch comment line 4.
      It’s Sauce for cheek or impudence and Hence.

• Bob H
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks JLC.I was looking for some actual meaning in a phrase rather than two separate words.

21. Liz
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Very slow getting a start on this one, but once some of the long words went in it speeded up a bit. I thought it was going to be another puzzle like yesterday’s which , unfortunately, I never got off the ground with. Just stared at it for ages without one sliver of inspiration …then gave up. Happily today was different although for a while I though I was in for a repeat run. Funny how some days it just flows and others it feels as if the brain has gone AWOL. I liked 17d and 19d great clues. I never really got the spoonerisms for 27a….until I read some of the comments…..and nearly didn’t get to read these as there was so much ‘blathering’ today, I almost couldn’t be bothered. Anyway didn’t need to use the hints, so that’s a plus and makes it 2*/3*. Thanks to the 1K and to the setter.

22. Jane
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Hi Liz,
    I think that, by now, we all realise that you do not appreciate the banter that passes between some of us who comment on the BD site. That is a great shame as many of us are so looking forward to S&B meetings and birthday ‘bashes’ as a result of these exchanges on the blog and it would be great to have you along.
    You obviously get something of value out of the site, otherwise you would not continue to look at it. There are plenty of other commenters who restrict their involvement to comments on the puzzles and I’m sure that you are more than welcome to continue to do just that but, please, don’t put a dampener on the rest of us – the camaraderie means a lot to more people than you might imagine.

Absolutely no malice intended – each to their own – but do consider softening your stance. You might just enjoy it.

• Hanni
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Hear hear Jane.

• Hilary
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

Me too, comments like this make me sad because the camaraderie means a lot to me as I am practically housebound and coming here makes me feel less isolated.

• Liz
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane. I’ve no wish to spoil things for you all, and I’m sorry if my remarks have put a damper on things for anyone. Just expressing my humble opinion, that’s all. I suppose I’m not really into ‘ virtual ‘ friendships, and don’t have a lot of time for social networking, Facebook and the like and you’re right ….I do find it difficult to imagine how important this can be to some people. Thanks for your invite to the meetings and birthday bashes, they do sound a bit boozy to me and I don’t often leave rural North Norfolk, but you never know! I’m not really a killjoy, and enjoy a laugh and a good natter like anyone else, but face to face interactions can’t be beat. Ill try to restrict my comments to puzzle related stuff, although you never know, I might capitulate and join the argy bargy………….watch this space……….!!

Posted July 8, 2015 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks for being so open in your reply, Liz. Personally, I don’t ‘do’ Facebook, Twitter or any site other than BD, where I feel at home amongst like-minded folk. The ‘virtual’ friendships are, to me, a prelude to actually meeting up with some of them at a future event and putting faces to names. I think the ‘boozing’ is probably restricted to the few who live within range of a less than eye-watering taxi fare – if I can make it from Anglesey I think you could probably make it from Norfolk?

Give it some thought – as you say ‘face to face interactions can’t be beat’, but they need to spring from somewhere. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

23. Hilary
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks to ColinK and Jay, I don’t usually struggle so badly on Wednesday but am a bit low because spent morning dismantling exhibition, cheered up later after reading lovely comments in visitors book which I brought home with me. Found crossword quite heavy going because could not get long answers in to help, nice anagrams but loathed 27a. Spelt 1a with two s which didn’t help favourite had to be 18a. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Hanni
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Brilliant that you get the visitors book Hilary. What a wonderful job you did. I agree about 27a.

• Hilary
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

It’s only on loan in case there any queries that need answering, but all four of us are patting ourselves on the back because it was very well received although sales were not brilliant and we are waiting to hear if we broke even or made a loss. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Hanni
          Posted July 8, 2015 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Will you be able to get copies? I followed the links that I think MP posted and I was heartedly impressed. Another author on BD’s site.

• Miffypops
            Posted July 9, 2015 at 12:51 am | Permalink

I am always happy with “patting”

Posted July 9, 2015 at 12:58 am | Permalink

Time for bed, MP – always assuming that you’ve finished that bathroom ceiling? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

24. KiwiColin
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Good morning all, and a cold, cold one it is here too. I must have been premature talking about spring last week. A cold southerly (yes our cold does come from the south) has covered much of the country with snow once again. Good news for those members of our family who have gone skiing though.
    Glad that most of you enjoyed the puzzle as I did.
    The other K arrived home, a bit earlier than expected, just as I finished doing the blog so we were able to tackle the Toughie together.
    Cheers. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

I’m amazed that ‘other K’ felt like tackling anything other than a large glass of something on her return home from ‘sitting’ duties!
      Snow from the south? Good grief – that brings the best weather we ever get here.

Hope you’ve spotted JL’s comment about overnighting in NZ – no excuse now for your absence at the next birthday party! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Hanni
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

It would be wonderful if you both came over for it. Hope the babysitting went well.

Does JL perhaps have access to scramjet technology?

Posted July 8, 2015 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Looks good to me, Hanni. All we need now is a superior design of seat belt, extra large sick bags and an on board robotic medic who is unaffected by G-force. Should be a cheap flight!

• KiwiColin
        Posted July 8, 2015 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Yes, it would be just great to get to a birthday bash. We did so enjoy meeting all the people we did in May but we are very aware that there were many others we were not able to meet. It is a long long way to travel though.
        To our shame, we had never heard of “The Brokenwood Mysteries” that JL referred to and have just Googled them. Sorry Jean-Luc.

• jean-luc cheval
          Posted July 8, 2015 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

No need to apologize.
          Never watched TV until I came to the UK. Dad was absolutely against it. He still doesn’t have one actually.
          But it’s probably the first time we see a program from NZ. The first episode was filmed in the autumn. The colours were superb and next week we’re going to visit some vineyards. Dead bodies or not, I am sure the experience will be worth it.

25. Kitty
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

Hard one for me today, but a packed tube is not the best place for it. It went in easily enough after a slow start, but I got held up with 18a(!) and 20d. Not 1a though, which I’d say is a perfectly legitimate and good word. Overall I liked it a lot. I won’t spoil things by mentioning the Spoonery clue.

I’ve been enjoying the watching the men patting their balls about today, but tomorrow is for the real sport with Young Salopian’s percolator et al. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Thanks to Jay and the lonely Kiwi. No Kiwis at all next week: how ever will we cope? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

26. Florence
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Always seem to be stuck on one. This time it was 2d. I think that my end of term report would read ‘could try harder’. Several favourites today. 3d, 8d, 10a and 19d. Torn between watching the first of the Ashes series, and Andy playing at Wimbledon. Solving takes place when rain stops play. Thanks to setter… And 1Kiwi!

27. Derek
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Late input from me – I solved the puzzle this morning but have been glued to the box all day watching events in London SW19.

Faves were 27a & 3d.

28. pommers
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

Jay, the Spoonerism was unworthy of your talent. Otherwise it was much enjoyed so ta muchly.

• Hanni
      Posted July 8, 2015 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

It seems I missed quite a lot of good action re tennis and cricket going off comments today. Did yon tavern meet expectations.

Pommette, I did see your sailing comments the other day and I can empathise. My first go was in a Laser with virtually no instructions. I broke the rudder. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

My sailing career was less than illustrious.

29. Sam Kelly
    Posted July 8, 2015 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

A question for gazza: I too would like to know how you know who the setters are. I’ve looked in faq and I’m ntw (none the wiser). Please help. Thanks and regards.

Posted July 9, 2015 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Just in case Gazza’s in bed by now:-
      Monday – Rufus
      Tues – Mysteron
      Weds – Jay
      Thurs – alternates between Ray T (look for innuendo, mention of Her Majesty, no more than 8 words in any clue and single word clues in the Quickie) and Mysteron.
      Fri – Giovanni

Mysteron (Mr. Ron) could be Shamus or Petit Jean or someone totally unknown (at least to me!).

Over to someone else to help you out with weekends – I concentrate on BD’s NTSPP (Not The Saturday Prize Puzzle) and the Rookie puzzle, both of which are always well worth the effort. The Monthly Prize Puzzle on the BD site is also worthy of your attention.

Enjoy. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

30. Jane
    Posted July 9, 2015 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Hi TS – guess you’re back on the late shift. Email today tells me that Mr. Thurber is on his way – looking forward to ‘meeting’ him. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

31. Tstrummer
    Posted July 9, 2015 at 12:59 am | Permalink

Hmmm. Not so sure about this one. Some good clues (14a, 24a, 9d, 20d) but some clunkers too. Strange spellings of 1a and 4d (old fashioned, no one uses the middle A any more); and as for the alleged Spoonerism, shocking. Jay normally sends me to bed a happy bunny, but I’m afraid he’s irritated me with 27a, which I got from the checkers and spent the entire walk home from the station trying to work it out. When I did, I felt no sense of achievement whatsoever. Oh well. Thanks to Colin Kiwi for his efforts and Jay, well I’ll forgive him just this once. 2*2*

Posted July 9, 2015 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Not to worry, TS – have a drop of the hard stuff, a quick puff of baccy and dream of Mr. T tomorrow! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• judetheobscure
      Posted July 9, 2015 at 10:54 pm | Permalink

I always spell it with the middle ‘A’ :D

32. Cornishpasty
    Posted July 9, 2015 at 1:10 am | Permalink

Well, I got it all done other than 20d for which I needed the hint. 4d presented problems until I remembered there was specific UK spelling. Like others, I did not like 27.

Posted July 9, 2015 at 1:19 am | Permalink

By ‘specific’ I presume you mean ‘correct’?!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

33. judetheobscure
    Posted July 9, 2015 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

Late as usual but all complete and 2*/4* for me.
    Lots of enjoyable clues but most fun had in straightening out hubby’s spelling for 4d which then opened up the remainder of the corner! Last one in 7d. Favourite maybe 11a – we have a Setter so I’m a tad biased :D