NTSPP – 282

NTSPP – 282

A Puzzle by Radler

+ – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – + – +

Crossword logo

The puzzle is available by clicking on the above grid.

A review of this puzzle by crypticue follows:

Radler once again provides us with a proper Saturday afternoon workout of the cryptic grey matter with this enjoyable pangram.

1a           False impression of French and German approval versus UK s entry (4,2)
DÉJÀ VU     The French word for ‘of’ , the German word of approval , the abbreviation for Versus and the ‘entry’ or first letter of UK.

4a           Daily sex? (8)
DYSLEXIA  An anagram of DAILY SEX  gives a condition where spelling can be a problem.

dyslexia

10a         It’s at the end of a flight (7)
LANDING   A double definition clue as the solution can be found at the end of two sorts of flight,.

landing

11a         Added weight? That s all about over eating (7)
BALLAST An exceedingly well hidden word – ‘eating’ tells you that some added weight is found hidden and reversed (over) inside thaTS ALL ABout.

12a         Period in time? (3,4,3)
THE YEAR DOT A cryptic definition of the earliest period of time.  Period being what the Americans call a full stop.

13a         He boasts of sexual prowess, spreading VD around university (4)
STUD   The abbreviation for the type of disease of which VD is an example goes round the abbreviation for University.

15a         Edging out of Vauxhall motor having 4 pints? (8)
ASTRAGAL     An edging round a column or window frame (thanks BRB)   The name of a particular Vauxhall car followed by the first three letters of an eight pint measure (having 4 pints or half the measure only).

astragal

17a         Best, but far from perfect (5)
WORST   To get the better of in a contest; or the least perfect example of something.

19a         Built-up city bar (5)
URBAN   The Biblical city beloved of crossword setters followed by another word for bar in the sense of disallow.

21a         Run close to home, getting severe cramp (8)
RESTRICT   The abbreviation for Run, the ‘close’ or last letter of home and a synonym for severe.

24a         Finally The Ritz for a Pound (4)
EZRA   Pound here has a capital letter because it is the surname of the controversial American poet.   His Christian name can be obtained from the last letters (finally) of thRitfo and adding A from the clue.

25a         Needed substance to cover soft (no cocaine) drug addiction (10)
DEPENDENCE     An anagram (substance) of NEEDED into which is inserted (to cover),  the musical abbreviation meaning to play softly, an abbreviation for No [which isn’t in the BRB],  and the abbreviations for Cocaine and Ecstasy (drug).

28a         Discharge produced at 26 (7)
EMANATE   An anagram (produced) of AT (from the clue) and the solution to 26d.

29a         Whereby a name is unrecognisable? (7)
AMNESIA The condition producing the effect described in the clue is an anagram (unrecognizable) of A NAME IS.

30a         Union member ‘s wrong to stop working by rule (3-2-3)
SON-IN-LAW   The two letter word meaning working is inserted into a wrong, and then followed by another word for rule.

31a         Old stuff: diet regularly then turn to go after abrupt coffee (4,2)
DEJA-VU The odd (regular) letters of DiEt , the first three letters of a type of coffee (abrupt telling you to remove the fourth) and a type of turn.

1d           Expand and expire noisily in the night (6)
DILATE   A homophone (noisily) of a verb meaning to expire and an adjective meaning towards the end of the day (in the night).

2d           Not just deserts (reportedly) MPs getting off on expenses (7)
JUNKETS   – A way of describing MPs expenses-paid trips could be milky puddings (as indicated by the ‘reportedly’ to give us the homophone desserts).

3d           Speech plotting overthrow of Prince in old ITV broadcast (10)
VOICEPRINT   An anagram (overthrow of) of PRINCE inserted into an anagram (broadcast)of O (old) ITV.

voiceprint

5d           Naughty teenager gets booby out (5)
YOBBO   Naughty teenagers, described by the BRB as  ‘loafers’, can be obtained from an anagram (out)of BOOBY.

6d           Drop half a sticky sweet (4)
LOLL   A verb meaning to dangle (drop) can be obtained from the first four letters (half) a literally ‘sticky’ sweet.

7d           Je ne sais quoi firme de cosmétiques sans mère (1,6)
X FACTOR   Remove the two-letter informal way of referring to your mother (sans mere – without mother) from a well known cosmetic company.

8d           Wanted a television part to go back further (8)
ANTEDATE   Hidden in part of wANTED A TElevision.

9d           Scrap a newspaper article rejecting substance for culture (4-4)
AGAR-AGAR A reversal (rejecting) of a scrap, A (from the clue) an informal name for a newspaper) and A (article).

14d         Steps involving weapons from Germany during outbreak of second war (5,5)
SWORD DANCE   Insert the IVR code for Germany into an anagram (outbreak) of SECOND WAR.

sword dance

16d         Salvage status, at last moving to a better place (3,5)
LAS VEGAS   No, the better place isn’t  heaven, but somewhere to place bets – an anagram (moving) of SALVAGE plus S (the last letter of status).

18d         Makes still exhibiting it separately in tennis club (8)
QUIETENS   The letters of IT are inserted separately into a famous London tennis club – no, not Wimbledon, the other one.

20d         Steal pub’s profit (7)
BARGAIN   Another word for ‘steal’ could if split 3, 4 describe a pub’s profit.

22d         Game involving jokers in country street for day (7)
CANASTA   Replace the abbreviation for Day found in a country’s name with the abbreviation for street to get a card game.

canasta

23a         PAR29, enter this code to get rejuvenated (4,2)
DÉJÀ VU     The letters PAR plus the solution to 29a produce a condition where one believes that one remembers events and circumstances which have not previously occurred. Remove ENTER from REJUVENATED and make an anagram (code) of what remains.   Or do what I did when I realised from the checking letters that I wasn’t suffering from this condition, and just write the solution in!

26d         Other side cut short a preparation for evacuation (5)
ENEMA   The other side in a battle cut short (with its last letter removed) followed by A from the clue.

27d         Old man with new man (4)
PAWN   One of the men in a chess set –   An informal way of referring to your father (old man) followed by the abbreviations for With and New.

Perhaps Radler was inspired by this:

but had he seen this??

Toughie 233

1. gazza
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Thanks Radler – very enjoyable with loads of laughs and a good joke. I had a lot of hold-ups in the RHS, not helped by having put in the wrong final word in 12a. Top clues for me were 4a, 7d and 14d.

2. Dutch
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Brilliant puzzle, but I think I’ve seen some of the clues before

• Franco
      Posted July 4, 2015 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

The only one I’ve seen before is 1a.

Struggling – only about 1/3 of the grid completed so far … onwards and upwards! Hopefully?

7d – Très drôle!

Posted July 4, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Pleased to hear that someone else is struggling! So far I’ve got 8 definites and two possibles – but one of those must be wrong given the checkers that would leave me with.
        Frustratingly, I haven’t got any of Gazza’s picks for the top spot.

Wonder whether Kath will give this one a go? I think Radler puzzles give her the jitters. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Just having a go at this – watching the tennis at the same time.
          You’re ahead of me – I’ve only got seven answers so far – I always find Radler’s crosswords difficult so, a bit like Toughies, that pretty much guarantees that I can’t do them.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Half way through – not without some googling!
            Starting to wonder whether it’s a pangram but Gazza didn’t mention it.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I didn’t mention it because I hadn’t noticed it but I’ve now checked and it is a pangram.

• dutch
                Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

i remember thinking this is going to be a pangram, but i forgot to check at the end, must have got distracted!

Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Goodness – red letter day for me. SPOTTED SOMETHING BEFORE GAZZA. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Started this after the MPP and the cryptic were all done, and have just picked it up again after various chores have been completed. It’s giving me the most trouble of all three puzzles. 14 in so far. Radler is my nemesis so I have no great expectations, but I will keep plugging away.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA!!!

Posted July 4, 2015 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Me too with Radler crosswords.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Stuck on about eight now – most of the bottom right corner but out this evening so will have to leave it for now.
    Thanks to Radler and, in advance, to whoever sorts it all out tomorrow.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

. . . oh dear! Lefts and rights again – stuck on most of bottom left corner. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I’ll swap my bottom left for your bottom right – if you see what I mean!

Posted July 4, 2015 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

I was reading a book about Alan Turing the other day. As a young man he apparently had problems telling left from right (so you are in good company). He solved his problem by having a mark put on his left thumb, then when he needed to tell left from right he would check his thumbs to see which one had the mark on.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

I have to mentally ‘pick up a pen’ as I’m confident enough about which hand I write with. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Down to the last four clues and suspect I won’t make the finishing line. 13a I probably should be able to figure out but I think 31a, 9&23d are going to defeat me.
        15a I had to resort to Mr. Google for and there are a couple of half-parses as well.
        Liked 4&29a plus 1&14d but favourite has to be 7d.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Just had a thought re: 31a & 23d…………. surely not?

Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Just realised I put 13a as one of the problems – should have been 12a!

• Expat Chris
              Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Want a hint for 12A?

Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Had a thought but it didn’t make much sense and made 9d look even more impossible – so yes please.

• Expat Chris
                  Posted July 4, 2015 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

OK. for the last word, a period is what we in the USA call the symbol that goes at the end of a sentence. Visualize it.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Flipping heck – that’s what I’d thought but didn’t much like! However, whilst waiting for your reply, I did get 9d (never heard of it – thank you Mr. Google) so was beginning to think it had to be what it apparently is. Still don’t like it much………. Many thanks for the confirmation, Chris.

Thank you, Radler – some great clues in this one. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

When we saw who the compiler was we knew we were in for a fight. And it was! Very clever and had us laughing out loud in several places. Thought that the 1a, 23d, 31a combination was original as well as clever. 15a was a word that we had to check as it was new to us. Much appreciated and enjoyed.
    Thanks Radler.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Done!! With four left (15A, 3D, 23D and 31A) I took a long afternoon nap, and woke up resolved to get this done. I had to resort to Google for the first part of 15A (no surprise there,considering). Finally sorted the right letters for 3D, and hauled out the BRB for the remaining two, only to find….

This may well be the first time I have completely solved a Radler without review hints. My triumph will be celebrated in Washington D.C. tonight with magnificent fireworks!

Posted July 5, 2015 at 12:04 am | Permalink

Totally forgot my manners! Thanks, Radler for a super and satisfying work out. I have lots of “ticks” against clues I liked…12A, 13A. 24A. 30A, 7D, 16D and 26D, and of course the 1A,/23D/31A combo. On balance, though, 26D comes out on top for the smile factor.

9. dutch
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 8:59 am | Permalink

I think it’s very clever that 31a/23d appear to be designed to be the last one’s in: position in grid, dependence of other clues, and difficulty – both very nice clues, I’m in awe. I loved the double whammy. Very satisfying ending, and possibly why I forgot to check the pangram I thought I saw coming earlier on. Many other great clues. I really liked “better place” in 16d, “steps involving weapons” in 14d, “union member” in 30a, great anagram that made me laugh in 5d (naughty teenager…), 13a (He boasts…) was for me the best I’ve ever seen this frequent word clued and was a big LOL that I hoped I wouldn’t have to explain, as was 26d “preparation for evacuation” – with it’s very clever link to 28a. It goes on an on – brilliant stuff, Radler, many thanks

10. pommers
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Splendid stuff and a pangram to boot http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif.

The two lurkers were pretty good but favourite has to be 4a.

Thanks Radler, it livened up my Sunday morning.

11. Jane
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Many thanks for the excellent explanations, CS. I never did get beyond half-parsing 23d (previously only heard the condition referred to as amnesia) and 9d I only know as agar. Lack of knowledge on my part, no reflection on Radler’s abilities!

The clue for 12a still niggles – ‘time period’ would have worked better for me as the ‘period’ comes after the time not IN the time as suggested by the clue. I also thought the combo would have been more amusing if it had been restricted to 1&31a.
    Only small issues, but just took the shine off an otherwise splendid puzzle.

Posted July 5, 2015 at 11:09 am | Permalink

I initially wrote in ‘The Year End’ for 12a on the basis that a period marks the end of a sentence,

• pommers
        Posted July 5, 2015 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Me too http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Gazza – I’m guessing your comma was a deliberate mistake. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• pommers
          Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Thought RD was the pedant around here http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I actually thought Gazza was making a joke by putting a comma at the end of that particular sentence. Didn’t want him to think that his humour had been wasted on us all!

Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Put it down to poor eyesight.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

It was still very funny, Gazza! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• pommers
              Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I hadn’t noticed. Put it down to what Gazza said http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

12. beet
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Tricky tricky, but lots of funny clues so worth the perseverance – thanks Radler

Posted July 5, 2015 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle from Radler.
    The two hidden words were very clever.
    Liked the French clue obviously.
    Didn’t get 2d and 12a unfortunately and didn’t spot the pangram which would have helped.
    Thanks to CS for the help and to Radler.

14. Radler
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks to all for the generous feedback, and to Crypticsue for the review.

I hadn’t seen that Elgar puzzle, so thank you for pointing it out. I see it also included Dyslexia!
    It was the Monty Python sketch that gave me the idea for the repeated answers.