DT 27845 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27845 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    For instance horse running round pound got much bigger (10)
Put the type of animal of which a horse is an example around the abbreviation of the Latin for a pound

9a    Fashionable novels, when about fifty, can be an imposition (10)
The usual two-letter word meaning fashionable followed by the category of book to which novels belong around the Roman numeral for fifty

15a    Husband gripped by pagan bird on moor (5-3)
H(usband) inside (gripped by) a pagan

20a    Good-looking things added in house (8)
Put a word meaning things added inside a four-letter word for a house

23a    Is cabinet minister engaged by Mr Cameron finally to rule badly? (9)
The IS from the clue and a current cabinet minister inside MR and the final letter of [camero]N

24a    Stay in Sunset Blvd maybe (4)
Split as (2,2) this could describe Sunset Blvd as the abbreviation of its location followed by an abbreviation for a road in a city

27a    Resentment of female marsh bird apparently (10)
This could be, but isn’t (apparently), a name for the female of a species of marsh birds

29a    Live with migraine possibly on high cliff (6,4)
A verb meaning to live and what could be (possibly) a migraine (4,4)

1d    Leave fairly shortly (4)
Drop the final letter from an adverb meaning fairly or moderately

4d    See, coming up amid turmoil, underground explorer (8)
The two-letter word for see! reversed (coming up in a down clue) a word meaning turmoil

5d    A heart is lifted taking in one piece by Beethoven (6)
The A from the clue and a heart or centre is reversed (lifting in a down clue) around I (one)

8d    Fielder, wide perhaps, caught series of balls (5,5)
This cricket fielder comes from a charade of an additional score, like a wide, in cricket, the abbreviation for C(aught) in cricket and a series of balls in cricket – a bit tricky if you know nothing about cricket, but a US solver once told me that he had learned about the game just to be able to solve UK cryptic crosswords

11d    Cromwell’s force making mark in terrible war with old enemy (3,5,4)
A write-in for anyone who knows just a tiny bit about the English Civil War – put M(ark) inside an anagram (terrible) of WAR with OLD ENEMY

17d    Having a spell without web is attractive (8)
The art of producing a spell around a web to get an adjective meaning attractive in its original sense of to draw towards

22d    Live on the edge (6)
This verb meaning to live in a dwelling comes from a charade of a word meaning on or concerning and an edge

25d    American pressman not new (4)
A two-letter abbreviation for American followed by the usual pressman

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: Angus+tourer+bitters=Angostura bitters®

1. dutch
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

A word I didn’t know as part of 4d and a bit of GK I had to check in 5d and 11d. I did manage to get the cricket clue without any cricket knowledge. Pleasant enough, though I’m still on a high after yesterday’s 100th Notabilis toughie with its beautiful nina.

I did think 2d was quite interesting. parsed it only after finishing the puzzle.

Many thanks setter and BD

• Little Dave
      Posted July 5, 2015 at 11:02 am | Permalink

All done but thought 2d was a little clumsy. 29a my favourite.

2. JonP
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I found this quite tricky to get going with and it took me longer to complete than usual for a Saturday. Good puzzle though in my opinion, with thanks to BD and setter 2.5*/4*

Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Is anyone else struggling with this horror or is it just me? Can’t even get the answers from the hints!

• Brian
      Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Well got answers in all the boxes but so many question marks. Why is 13a a company, 2d is fodder but the rest is a mystery, 4d is an underground explorer but the rest is also a mystery, 7d why directly, 18a why does the answer mean rule, what has 11d to do with making a mark and why added in 20a. 24a and 28a are just awkward clues. Just going to have wait for CryticSues explanation later in the week. I think the DT must be getting too many right answers on a Saturdayhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
      Thx to BD for hints even if I couldn’t understand them all! I’m obviously being dense today, must be the thunder disturbed night.

• Collywobbles
        Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve also been struggling with this puzzle this morning so I am now going over to BDs’ hints, on a selective basis, to try to get some momentum

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted July 4, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

At least you’ve got all the boxes filled Brian – for right or wrong ! Definitely a bit of a nightmare and a long way still to go !

• Collywobbles
          Posted July 4, 2015 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Well, I have finished but I did find it a little difficult. Thanks to BD for the hints without which I would not have progressed

• Sarah
            Posted July 4, 2015 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I’m with you Brian, even with some answers in I have no idea how they fit all of the clue. Really tricky today and for once it seems I am not the only person to think so. Thanks to setter and BD and to all contributors to the blog (who have made me feel not quite so rubbish!)

• Hrothgar
              Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

One needs to stare and stare at 2d to find out the ‘why’
              Very clever.
              And naughty.

• Veronique
        Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Not the only dense one, Brian, I also had great difficulty even with the hints!

Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter. I thought that was a bit harder than the usual Saturday and like JonP it took me a while to get started. I enjoyed it though. We had a big laugh over 29a. When I read out the clue Mrs SW came straight out with the answer – which I dismissed as very funny but obviously wrong. I have now learnt the error of my ways and must eat humble pie. Thanks for the hints BD. Your hint for 22d enabled me to correct my answer. I had a wrong first letter !

• Caravaggio
      Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

29a amused me too, Sweet William, because I saw what the answer was and then it was a moment or two before the penny dropped. I agree with you, Dave, that the construct of 6d is rather complicated if you know nothing about cricket and you did well to find that photograph, particularly as the batsman is a left-hander.

• Brian
        Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

That was the only clue that I found easy!

Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

I found this really difficult so I’m relieved to find some company.
    I’ve finished it now but it’s taken a long time and I was pretty slow to get going at all.
    Couldn’t do 1a for ages and, needless to say, 8d caused trouble as did 11d.
    I think I’ve sorted out why 2d is right but that also took a while.
    I liked 23a and 1d. My favourite was 29a.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.
    The style of this crossword felt very unfamiliar – is it possible that we have a new setter?
    Now I’m spoilt for choice – the NTSPP (can’t usually do Radler’s crosswords) or the MPP or Wimbledon? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

6. bifield
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I found this very hard to get started and I was really struggling. After a break I returned and it all fell into place. Thanks to setter and to BD for the hints needed to confirm and explain some of my answers.

7. Poppy
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Oh hurrah, I wasn’t alone in struggling with this! So v. pleased to have completed it, with loads of help – thanks BD, Mr. P, and Wikipedia for cricketing terms. Rather impressed by the U.S. Solver BD mentioned but not sure I should try the same feat as my memory is like the bucket with a hole in it. Wasn’t there a song/ditty about There’s a Hole in my Bucket?…. Poppy still recovering from last night’s thunderstorm. She doesn’t like big bangs, but then neither do I. Hope everyone’s having a good weekend.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

8. pommers
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Trickier than usual for a Saturday. Only four acrosses but eleven downs came to the rescue so most of it fell into place. Then for some reason we were left with 1a/1d as the last two and they stubbornly refused to yield for a whole second beer. Ia suddenly gave up so 1d was then obvious. Why they took so long defeats me.

I’d say ***/*** with no clear favourite.

Thanks to setter and BD.

9. Dawn
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I am so glad I’m not the only one to have found this tough, I have got there in the end albeit with the aid of my thesaurus and hints supplied by BD. I don’t feel I have broken my duck yet when I resort to them, the day I can do a crossword completely on my own is still some way away – that is when I will feel I have broken my duck.

Thanks as ever to BD, I wouldn’t have made us much progress without them hints of yours!

Loved 18 across and found 5 down no problem but 8 down another matter

10. Young Salopian
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Phew! What a slog. No really difficult or new words so somewhat perplexed as to why I struggled to complete it. Last one in was 1a after I got 1d, best clue 5d, least favourite would be 2d. I have to go ****\*** for this one. Clearly the relative toughness puts me in a large club today. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Strangely enough, I didn’t have huge problems with this, maybe because I solved some of the long ones early on … e.g., I remembered 11d from history at school. I got 1a because I had 1d, the start letter and some more.
    I think I have 2d correctly, but for the life of me I have no idea why.
    There were some fun clues, I liked 11d because I was so pleased that I could remember it after sixty or more years, but fave was 5d because I love it.
    Thanks to setter and to BD for his review.

12. Gwizz
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

This was more like a Friday puzzle then a Saturday prize one. I thought yesterday’s was a tad easy… wrong envelope me thinks!
    Anyway I finally completed it but 2d will not parse even though the answer can’t be anything else.
    1a was my favourite clue, 3/3* over all.
    Thanks to the setter and BD for doing the honours.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

2d Fodder area covered by an ‘ole, conceivably (7)
      A(rea) preceded by two of what, when added mathematically, make a ‘ole.

• Brian
        Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Oh Come On! If I wanted to work at Bletchley Park, I’ll send them a letter.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I loved 2d but I wish I’d put a large sum of money on my bet as to who wouldn’t http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• pommers
        Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

That was my take on it but it doesn’t really work for me. Poor clue IMO. Can’t say more for fear of the naughty corner.

Now back to the tennis – James Ward is doing pretty good after a shaky start. Froomy did OK at Le Tour and Lewis is on pole for tomorrow, so not a bad day so far. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

OMG, I have been scratching my head over that one, thinking how dumb can I get! That was very, very, superbly clever. What kind of mind can think up something like that??

• spindrift
        Posted July 5, 2015 at 10:46 am | Permalink

thank you Gazza – I got the answer without knowing why which is not the same as solving the clue imho

• Badger
        Posted July 6, 2015 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Thanks Gazza- 2d was my last and I just couldn’t parse it. The word I knew from Catch 22! An ‘oh,no’ moment!
        Liked the speciality clues from History, Cricket and classical music….but 1a the favourite.
        Thanks to Bd also and the setter -good work.

13. Vancouverbc
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

**/****. I really liked this puzzle. Got stuck for a while on the NW corner but got there in the end. Really liked 27 and 29a. Thanks to the setter and BD for the review. Another scorching day and 150 fires in the province desperately need rain.

14. overtaxed
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Struggled with the horse (1a), and therefore 1d (I had been considering an alternative answer) and needed the hint for 5d. ****/*** and 27 made me smile so favourite today.

15. Paso Doble
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

We got off to a flying start with this one but ground to a bit of a halt – with 2d and 9a holding us up. Some lovely clues though, especially 23a ***/****. Now we are free to watch Andy Murray.
    Thanks to BD and the Setter.

• pommers
      Posted July 4, 2015 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Have a look at James Ward first. Well worth it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted July 4, 2015 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Pity about Ward. I like his game.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Found it harder than usual but not impossible.
    It’s the two four letter words of 10 and 12a that slowed me down.
    23a my favourite today.
    Thanks to the setter and to BD for the blog.

17. Michael
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

New word for me in the Quick Crossword today ‘******’ for ‘Coins collectively’.

• Posted July 4, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Please remember there may be some people who read this and are saving the Quick puzzle for later.

18. Liz
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Well, I must be a bit out of step with most ( as I usually am) because I found this fairly easy! I don’t usually bother with the Saturday puzzle as it’s often too much of a brain ache and I have other things to do, but somehow this one all slid into place fine and I didn’t need the hints. The only one I Had trouble with was 11d as I’m not much of an historian and completely missed the anagram indicator. I liked 1a, 27a and 29a….altogether an enjoyable puzzle….2* for difficulty (due to 11 d) otherwise would have been a 1* and 4* for enjoyment. Thanks to setter and BD. perhaps I’ll give the Saturday puzzles a go in future!

19. Jaycat
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

As many others, I found this hard going and it took me most of day to get a third through but was pleased that I got some without help. Like 2d very much.
    Thanks BD and setter.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 8:33 pm | Permalink

You’ve changed your email address so your comment required moderation. Both addresses should work from now on.

• Badger
        Posted July 6, 2015 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Gazza, you are clearly one of the BD team -I’m puzzled by the picture but daren’t ask……!

Posted July 6, 2015 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Which picture?

• Badger
            Posted July 6, 2015 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

OK- the dog….!

Posted July 6, 2015 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

He’s my black lab.

Posted July 4, 2015 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Unlike some of my fellow contributors, l found this rather easy (1*) but nevertheless satisfying (4*). Why this is l have absolutely no idea. My favourite clue is 24a – short but sweet. Thanks to the setter, and to BD for the hints.

21. hilary
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Boiling ‘ot here today, had haircut so I can now see what I am doing which is quite a good idea as I found this heavy going. Took ages to get started but it was a delight to solve once I had the first few in. Far too many favourites to risk listing but 1a and 29a are among them. Exhibition going well with loads of nice comments to stewards makes all the hard work worthwhile. Thanks to BD and setter.

22. Florence
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Aaaah! Read through it all and could only put 25d down straight in. Thought I would see what everyone else thought of it. Looks as though I am in for a long night . I could be up until the wee small hours.

23. Derek
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable Saturday puzzle which I solved after also finishing off yesterday’s Toughie while watching Federer’s win at SW19.

6a and 29a went in while I was printing out the grid and clues.
    Favourite is 2d.
    21a was a laugh – I think the answer is a concoction!

This being 4th July a lot of music has been heard coming in from somewhere nearby possibly from the US contingent in The Hague area.

• Only fools
      Posted July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am | Permalink

Could not agree more Derek ,favourite by quite a margin 2d and frankly unlike you I stiil have a few to get in Friday’s toughie . I may have to blame the heat and the noise from the 4th July celebrations .

24. Framboise
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Amusing reading all the comments ranging from ‘I found this hard’ to ‘well it was a cinch’! No real problem for me and much enjoyment to boot. Although I was not acquainted with 11d – not much English history was taught when I was at secondary school… – but it was not difficult to work the answer out. Strangely enough Mr Framboise did not come to my rescue for the cricket expression – one he was not familiar with but again it was not impossible to work it out. Favourite was 29a maybe because it was somewhere where Mr Framboise drove me to in his MGB the summer we met… 2*/4*. Many thnaks to the setter and to BD for the hints. Jean-Luc, we are back in Billingshurst. Sorry I did come to say goodbye but my brother is not well at all and we were on an emotional rollercoaster prior to leaving. The lovely warm weather has eased us into our English way of life and it was a joy to be reunited with our son and family.

25. Hrothgar
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Blow me down.
    I have never heard of 10a being that and that.
    Certainly not common usage.

26. Kitty
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

We’re with those who found it hard. The Kitties worked on this individually but helped each other out – and then came together at the end to finish off.

2d was a moment of pride for me as my “apprentice” beat me soundly – both to the answer and in sorting out why it was right. I think I may have to promote him to junior partner, and be wary of losing my own position on top.

• Kitty
      Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and BD :).

27. Florence
    Posted July 4, 2015 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Just finished.Being a cricket fan helped me off my marks.Not been the easiest of Saturday puzzles.Thanks to setter and to BD.

28. williamus
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Just finished! Like others I really struggled with this one and gave up just after lunch with less than half done and some of those I didn’t know why. Spent the afternoon gardening and been out partying… just home and thought I’d have a quick look before putting it in with the recycling. Amazingly I’ve managed to get it finished with lots of help from the BRB and BD’s hints. New word for me in 4d and we’ve seen and argued about 28a before. A bit tougher than I think is acceptable for a Saturday though I’m sure it’s a fine puzzle… no honestly. Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

29. Polly
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Phew. Just finished after starting it when I went to bed and doing a few more each time I woke up! 23a and 2d were the final ones to be completed. 2d very satisfying – thanks for the clue – loved 27a and 29a. I think the compiler has a gsoh and a slightly mean spirit!

• Hrothgar
      Posted July 5, 2015 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

I would like more of this setter, please.
      Thanks DT

30. JohnG
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

2d. I have the answer…I think. I just don’t know how the clue works. Can anyone help without breaching the rules?

Posted July 5, 2015 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, JohnG.

• Hilary
      Posted July 5, 2015 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

See Comment 12 above.

31. john g
    Posted July 5, 2015 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Aha! Thank you. I had ‘ole in my mind as the Spanish expression!

32. David Barnett
    Posted July 7, 2015 at 7:52 am | Permalink

Where is 2 down in DT 27845?

• Posted July 7, 2015 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog David

I’m not sure how to answer that – it’s between 1 down and 3 down. Are you sure you are looking at the right puzzle?

33. judetheobscure
    Posted July 9, 2015 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one. Some tricky clues but my usual little and often approach got there in the end. 3*/5* – favourite 29a closely followed by 2d and last in 1a.