Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

Good morning from a sunny North Devon. I wasn’t overly impressed with this puzzle – there were a few good clues but much of it seemed somewhat mechanical with a number of chestnuts which are way past their sell-by date (e.g. 26a, 20d and 23d). Do let us know how you got on and give us your verdict.

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so only do that as a last resort.

Across Clues

1a Love dispute about method of transport (7)
WORSHIP – reverse (about) a dispute or argument and add a method of transport.

5a Chickenfeed with vegetable? Crazy! (7)
PEANUTS – charade of a vegetable and an informal adjective meaning crazy.

9a It could turn into toad and leap, skipping area (7)
TADPOLE – a semi-all-in-one. It’s an anagram (could turn into) of TOAD and LE(a)P with the A(rea) being omitted.

10a Agreeing to  hire (7)
LETTING – double definition, the second being a gerund meaning hire or rental.

11a Essex vice? Possibly getting high (9)
EXCESSIVE – an anagram (possibly) of ESSEX VICE.

12a Love’s put on dreary perfume (5)
ODOUR – the letter that resembles zero or love in tennis scoring followed by an adjective meaning dreary or forbidding. I doubt that any perfume manufacturers would describe what they sell as this.

13a Small fish’s edges (5)
SIDES – string together S(mall), a silvery freshwater fish and the ‘S from the clue.

15a Former lover put in a demand and shouted (9)
EXCLAIMED – the short word used for a former partner followed by a verb meaning put in a demand.

17a One fish caught by this Parisian — it’s likely to be smoked (9)
CIGARETTE – the Roman numeral for one and a pike-like fish go inside (caught by) the French (Parisian) word for this.

19a Head of Intelligence taken in by the female burglar (5)
THIEF – the first letter (head) of I(ntelligence) is contained inside THE (from the clue) then we finish with F(emale). A burglar is just one example of the answer so I’d have expected a question mark or similar.

22a Startle a learner driver with injury leaving hospital (5)
ALARM – string together A (from the clue), the letter displayed by a learner driver and a word for injury or hurt without the H(ospital).

23a Blind drunk, now in giggles to an extent (9)
UNKNOWING – hidden (to an extent) in the clue. Blind here has a meaning as used in a blind tasting or a blind date.

25a Son’s put down as expert (7)
SKILLED – S(on) and a verb meaning put down or executed.

26a Mean, to say ‘mature’ (7)
AVERAGE – a verb to say or declare followed by a verb to mature or season.

27a Narrow lens distorted reflection of colour (7)
SLENDER – an anagram (distorted) of LENS followed by the reversal (reflection) of a primary colour.

28a European allowed to restrict chaps for water, maybe (7)
ELEMENT – the abbreviation for European and a past participle meaning allowed contain (to restrict) another word for chaps or blokes. The answer here is not being used in its modern, chemical, sense but as one of the substances believed to be the foundation of everything in ancient times.

Down Clues

1d Spectator‘s wife is sent off (7)
WITNESS – W(ife) followed by an anagram (off) of IS SENT.

2d Thinned and thickened (7)
REDUCED – two meanings, the second meaning thickened (a sauce, for example).

3d Traps vibrated, top to bottom (5)
HOOKS – a verb meaning vibrated or juddered with the first or top letter (this being a down clue) moved to the end.

4d Ford perhaps needs parking by hotel guest (9)
PRESIDENT – the abbreviation for parking is followed by a registered guest at a hotel.

5d Pound wanted for lentils or beans (5)
PULSE – double definition, the first a verb to pound or throb.

6d Prepared tuna or a bit of salad — with time, one might get in rocket (9)
ASTRONAUT – start with an anagram (prepared) of TUNA OR A and a bit of S(alad) then add T(ime).

7d The same outfit for male after university (7)
UNIFORM – FOR (from the clue) and M(ale) follow an abbreviation for university.

8d Cook argued after shortbread’s first made sweeter (7)
SUGARED – an anagram (cook) of ARGUED follows the first letter of shortbread.

14d Initially, Steve Cram ran and ran (9)
SCRAMBLED – string together the initial letter of S(teve), CRAM and a verb meaning ran or seeped into an adjacent area (paint or dye, for example).

16d Ship’s officer supports inspection, and that’s the last word across the board (9)
CHECKMATE – a ship’s officer (usually the second-in-command) follows (supports, in a down clue) an inspection or examination.

17d Lessons for college girls (7)
CLASSES – The abbreviation for college followed by another word for girls. If you’ve downloaded and memorised Prolixic’s excellent “A brief guide to the construction of cryptic crossword clues” (and if not, why not?) you’ll know that ‘Definition for wordplay’ is frowned upon – ‘Lessons from college girls’ would be much better (and probably more interesting!).

18d Rock — new one kept in jar (7)
GRANITE – insert N(ew) and the Roman numeral for one into a verb to jar or grind.

20d Parrot — one pal holds it (7)
IMITATE – the Roman numeral for one (as in the previous clue) and a pal or ally containing IT.

21d Figure millions comes before hospital department’s invention (7)
FIGMENT – the abbreviations for figure and millions precede the only hospital department recognised in Crosswordland.

23d By the authority of two foreign articles (5)
UNDER – an indefinite article from French and a definite one from German.

24d Orders we must lose weight if this? (5)
OBESE – orders or honours are followed by (w)E without the abbreviation for weight.

The clues I liked best were 9a, 17a and 23a. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: FAR + THE + THYME = FATHER TIME

1. Kitty
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter – I thought this a pleasant and easily digestible crossword. Yes, a few chestnuts, but there’ll always be people who haven’t come across them before. Lots of fish today, and veggies to go with. And after the healthy stuff, some shortbread. Mmm. Particular likes include 9a and 23a. I could also mention 5a and 2d.

With thanks also to Gazza for the usual high standard of review.

• Little Dave
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I too quite enjoyed this my favourite being 9a. Thanks to the Setter and for the review. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

2. neveracrossword
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Not too taxing for a warm day in sunny East Devon. !*/3*. Thank you Gazza and setter.

3. Nev
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:18 am | Permalink

2*/3* for me today with the puzzle solved in record time for me. 16d was last in, don’t know why the penny didn’t drop quicker for that one! Thanks to Gazza and the setter.

4. dutch
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:29 am | Permalink

Thanks Gazza for the useful review. Yes, some old friends, with some nice clues to balance – I liked 19a (head of intelligence), 23a (blind drunk) & 27a (narrow lens)

Great to have the sun back

Many thanks setter for a pleasant solve

Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:33 am | Permalink

It all went together smoothly today and left plenty of time to also complete the Toughie before leaving for afternoon Bridge. We agree with both of Gazza’s ratings. Pleasant enough.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

6. Young Salopian
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

I will go with a *\*** as well. Very well organised and structured puzzle completed in good time. Ah well, the garden beckons……thanks to the setter and Gazza for his excellent hints which are always entertaining to read after completion.

7. Miffypops
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

A bit like most good things in life. Over all too quickly. Only three or four left to complete the toughie too.

Lovely sunshine and Wimbledon as well

Life is sweet

Thanks to the setter. Thanks to Gazza with whom I agree

Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Agree with Gazza, nothing inspiring about this one. Thought it was going to be tricky with all the ‘take bits away’ clues but it fell into place fairly easily. All a bit ordinary I thought.
    Thx to all

Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Thank you setter. I enjoyed the puzzle and – OK – it wasn’t the hardest, but good fun all the same. Thanks Gazza for your review and hints. Looks like a Pimms evening………headache tomorrow. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

10. Derek
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Pleasant end of June puzzle.

Faves : 17a, 28a, 6d & 16d.

Must now get ready to go to my daughter’s who is making a barbecue this evening in the real summer weather here in NL.

11. Angel
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

No sweat with this exercise today in spite of rising temperature. Managed to complete over breakfast before tackling a bit of undemanding gardening – that’ll do though. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif. Altogether not overly inspiring. 13a fish new to me. 23a bunged in but the parsing dawned on me later on and in fact that clue is the nearest there is to a Fav for me. **/**. Thanks Mysteron and Gazza.

Posted June 30, 2015 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

In reply to yesterday – no – I’m not anti all sport! I’m not really anti any of it but just don’t understand the rules. The only thing I watch is Wimbledon and the only thing I do is swim.

• Miffypops
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

You do much more than swim Kath. Much much more.

Posted June 30, 2015 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this so 1* difficulty and 3*+ a bit for enjoyment – the + a bit is because some of them made me laugh.
    For some reason 1a and 3d were my last ones in – well, something had to be and even they weren’t much of a hold-up.
    I liked 5 and 9a and 1 and 2d. My favourite was 23a even though I missed the hidden bit for ages and tried to make it ‘sightless’. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to gazza.
    Like everywhere else it’s hot here – Wimbledon with one eye and Toughie with the other one. Feel a bit sorry for the chaps playing on the Centre Court this afternoon.

• Tstrummer
      Posted July 1, 2015 at 1:13 am | Permalink

Ha! Those tennisistas had it easy. I was summoned to get my younger daughter’s car started. It has been sitting there for weeks. Jump started it and thought I should take it for a spin to charge up the battery, only to find that the windows were jammed shut. No air con. It must have been 40C in there…

• Posted July 1, 2015 at 7:30 am | Permalink

When you use a different email address, your first comment(s) goes into moderation.

• Tstrummer
          Posted July 2, 2015 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Oops. I didn’t know I had a second email address. Must have been a typo – or hotbrain

Posted June 30, 2015 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

PS – Where’s RD? Did he request time off? I hope he’s OK.

• Kitty
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Oh good – thanks Kitty. I missed that – too bogged down with warring felines and visitors at the weekend. It just suddenly popped into my head, as these things do occasionally, that he hadn’t been around.

• Kitty
          Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

I love the fact that the regulars have to apply to you for leave of absence :).

Have the cats calmed down further? I do hope so.

Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Yes thanks. Things are getting calmer now – the two visitors have seen the error of their ways! Little Rose is asserting herself. Even though she’s almost twenty-one and can’t weigh much more than a couple of pounds she only has to look at them and they admit defeat. They’re learning who’s the boss very quickly.

Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Didn’t get the chance to put my pen down while solving.
    No need for any electronic help either.
    Just clear clues with simple words and synonyms.
    Very refreshing while the heatwave rages outside. It will be well over 30 degrees Celsius until at least 10pm.
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.
    Off to finish the toughie now. A couple of clues at the top are giving me a headache.

• dutch
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

i have a headache from a few at the bottom..

• Hanni
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Semi SE is causing me grief.

Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Completely stuck on 27a – can’t even think of anything that will fit, let alone anything that fits the clue.

• Hanni
            Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I struggled with it too. Am I allowed to say it’s an anagram? Not sure whether we can give clues on this ‘side’?

Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

No, it’s verboten to give hints here for the ‘other’ puzzle. I see that Toro is editing it now, so the blog should not be too long.

• Hanni
                Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Eek. Sorry.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

All done. See you on the other side shortly.
        I have absolutely no doubt that you will succeed in finishing it before the blog.

15. Hanni
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

**/***

Nothing overly taxing. Old chesnuts and new fruits alike.

23d and 9a get the favourite vote. Sorry Kath.

6 to go in the Toughie and it’s glorious in N Yorkshire.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for a great blog.

• Miffypops
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Hanni you have recovered very quickly from your ordeal. How on earth have you done so?

• Hanni
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

It was tough but onwards and upwards MP. Time to find a big hat if I want to sit out later and have a G & T.

Have you finished the Toughie too?

• Miffypops
          Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

I have just put 23ac and 21d in. 21d has 12 words in the clue and only 6 letters in the answer. Wordy clues always put me off.

• Hanni
            Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

I think I’ll have to wait on the blog as I’m stuck. Those 2 included.

16. SheilaP
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Well, unlike all the above comments, we found this quite tricky, and it took quite a bit of time and electronic help to finish. Not really my type of puzzle I suppose. Anyway, thank you to the Tuesday setter and to Gazza.

17. Franco
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

5d – a minor quibble. Why is the solution “pulse” in the singular, whereas lentils and beans are in the plural?

Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

The plural of pulse is … (according to the BRB) … pulse.

• Franco
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks, gazza. I must start looking things up in the BRB … unfortunately I’m normally just too lazy.

• Slartibartfast
          Posted June 30, 2015 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Minor quibble of my own, surely astronauts do not get “into” rockets …do they?
          They sit on top.

Posted June 30, 2015 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

I did wonder about that, but one of the meanings that the BRB gives for rocket is: “a system or vehicle obtaining its thrust from a backward jet of hot gases” so I thought it was ok.
            It’s not rocket science. :D

• Miffypops
              Posted July 1, 2015 at 12:39 am | Permalink

No. It is not rocket science. It is rocket engineering.

18. Shropshirelad
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

A fairly straightforward puzzle from our Tuesday Mr Ron. Thought 23a was a very good clue, so that shall be my favourite today. However, my real favourite is in today’s Toughie – can you guess what it is? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Thanks to the setter for the puzzle and Gazza for his usual splendid review.

• Hanni
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Quite an honour!

Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I’ll take a wild guess at 2d.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Such a poet.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Franco
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I thought of you and also Young Salopian – are you related?

• Miffypops
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

When I was one-and-twenty
      I heard a wise man say,
      “Give crowns and pounds and guineas
      But not your heart away;
      Give pearls away and rubies
      But keep your fancy free.”
      But I was one-and-twenty,
      No use to talk to me.

When I was one-and-twenty
      I heard him say again,
      “The heart out of the bosom
      Was never given in vain;
      ’Tis paid with sighs a plenty
      And sold for endless rue.”
      And I am two-and-twenty,
      And oh, ’tis true, ’tis true.

Ale, man, ale’s the stuff to drink
      For fellows whom it hurts to think.

2d. No doubt about it.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

You might like this french song.

Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

I agree with the rest of ’em. Do hope that you’re beginning to feel a bit better.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

10/10 to you all for guessing correctly http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Special thanks to MP for the recital and JLC for the song ( I will try and translate the words tomorrow)

Goodnight all http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

19. silvanus
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Very entertaining puzzle, only the NW corner held me up a little. I’m quite partial to chestnuts so didn’t mind their appearance out of season!

I agree with Gazza about 17a and 23a getting the thumbs up, I also liked 14d.

Many thanks to the setter and Gazza.

20. RogBrown
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Could someone give me the URL for the home page please. I’m using http://bigdave44.com/category/crosswords/dt-cryptic-crosswords/ but this only gives me Category Archives for the regular back-pagers. I have to search for the Toughies in the Recent Comments Box on the right.

• pommers
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Permalink
      • RogBrown
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Pommer but that just gets me the “Sorry please contact your hosting provider” page.

• pommers
          Posted June 30, 2015 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

Strange, it works for me.

21. Paso Doble
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

A */*** for us. Pleasant and easy solve. We agree with Gazza about the old chestnuts and would add 17d to the bag. Looking forward to watching Andy Murray before we attempt the Toughie.
    Thanks to gazza and Mr. Ron.

22. Vancouverbc
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

*/**. Short and not so sweet. It was possibly the easiest puzzle in recent times. I like to feel I have to mentally struggle to finish a DT cryptic. Nevertheless thanks to the setter and Gazza for the review.

23. Hrothgar
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Oh dear.
    Junior Telegraph Day.
    Still, re-training is never wasted.
    Too many old friends to single out one.
    Enjoyed filling it in, joining up the dots sort of thing.
    Many thanks to the setter, and to Gazza.

24. gazza
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

You probably need to delete all your cached pages.
    Toughie blog is here:

• RogBrown
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza. How do I delete cached pages?

Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

It depends on which Browser you’re using. I suggest you Google ‘clear cache’ and the name of your Browser.

• Posted June 30, 2015 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

For Firefox:

Open Firefox

• Hit Ctrl+Shift+Delete

• Select “Everything” in the “Time range to clear”

• Open the dialog box “Details” by clicking on the down arrow next to it

• Uncheck everything in the dialog box that appears except “Cache”

• Click the “Clear Now” button

(The exact method and words in the dialog boxes probably change from version to version.)

Follow the instructions to the letter, because leaving items other than “Cache” checked could get rid of more than intended.

• RogBrown
            Posted June 30, 2015 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD, that worked a treat.

25. Outnumbered
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Looks like I am in a small minority today as I found this really hard. ****/**

• SheilaP
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

You and me both (see above). I think it’s quite depressing when everyone else thinks it’s so easy, especially when one person calls it Junior Telegraph Day.

26. JonP
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Straightforward puzzle today resulting in a new PB for me. Thanks to Gazza and setter */***

27. Hilary
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Good job it was relatively easy because high temperatures are not my favourite thing. Several giggle-worthy moments including 17a but my choice has to be 9a because it was a real penny-drop occasion for me. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif
    Miffypops – envelope posted this morning as promised. Thanks to Gazza and setter.

• elcid
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Hilary – I live on the coast just south of you and visited the Reg Carter Exhibition today – BRILLIANT!

• Hilary
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you I will pass your comment on to my fellow curators. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

28. Jay legs
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Agree with Gazza’s comment. Pretty straightforward */** ;)

29. Florence
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

Printed this off this morning, but left in printer tray as out and about. One of my empty nesters returned this evening and offered to cook on the Barbie.How could I refuse, especially as he offered to make me the sort of drink Sweet William mentioned. I agree, it is that sort of evening. Just finished the crossword over a cup of tea. 9a had me tickled pink as did 16d. Last one in was 3d . Looks like I was the only one to struggle with it. Can’t see the wood for the trees sometimes. Thanks to setter and to Gazza. Not sure how to rate this one.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

30. Gwizz
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

I’m one of the few who made hard work of today’s offering. Mainly misconstruing 3d by using Traps as the fodder and refusing to accept that I was wrong. It must have been the heat…. The other three quarters were as everybody else has said.
    Can’t win them all I suppose
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for showing me the error of my ways,http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

31. Stevie G
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Hi folks just stumbled across this blog a couple of weeks ago when googling an answer to a DT clue and love reading all your comments. Thought it a bit rude not to join in.
    Have to say today’s was a record for me even including a couple of 17a breaks!! ( i’m made to go outside).
    Looking forward to getting to know who everyone is around here…keep up the good work

Posted June 30, 2015 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Stevie.

• Heno
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too. You haven’t joined the blog because you’ve hung your boots up have you? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Stevie G
        Posted June 30, 2015 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

No I’m afraid not. That’s why my post is at 10.00pm I only get to see it at night

• Heno
          Posted July 1, 2015 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

:-)

Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
      I think it’s very brave to start commenting after only a couple of weeks – well done to you. I think it took me about three months to summon the courage to say anything.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted June 30, 2015 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too – I hope you continue to contribute to the site.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 1, 2015 at 12:45 am | Permalink

Et Moi Aussi. Welcome aboard. How long before you join the Tufty Club?

• Hanni
      Posted July 1, 2015 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Hello from me too Stevie.

32. RichardW
    Posted June 30, 2015 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Getting cosmonaut for 6d didn’t help…. Cos (bit of salad) with time (mo) and anag of tuna – missed the ‘or’ bithttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

Posted June 30, 2015 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. Totally agree with Gazza’s view, mostly straightforward, but with a few good clues. I liked 2,14&24d, the former was last in.
    Favorite was 9a. Was 2*/3* for me. Scorching in Central London today, playing squash.

34. Tstrummer
    Posted July 1, 2015 at 1:18 am | Permalink

I’ll go with Gazza’s view of this one. No problems, few smiles and not a chortle to be heard. I quite liked 23a, because I did a Kath: it wasn’t until reading G’s typically erudite review that I saw it was a lurker. Thanks to all 1*/2*