Hints and tips by 2Kiwis

BD Rating – Difficulty ** – Enjoyment ****

We awoke this morning to find our world covered in a crisp white icing of frost. The hills in the distance, to the east of us, have fresh snow and look like mountains again. Now the sun is up and shining from a clear blue sky. Winter at its best.
Jay has his gentler hat on today we thought.

Please leave a comment telling us your thoughts on today’s puzzle.

1a     Hurried across central London, getting pinched (6)
SWIPED : The post code for central London is included in a word for hurried.

5a     Enter, then leave females getting high (5,3)
GOING OFF : A 2,2 expression meaning to enter, then a two letter word meaning to leave and the abbreviation for female twice.

9a     How a boxer might win agreement to divorce? (5,8)
SPLIT DECISION : What an agreement to divorce could be considered to be.

10a     Daughter with independent attitude and degree of separation (8)
DISTANCE : D(aughter) then I(ndependent) and a synonym for attitude or way of standing.

11a     Eccentric maids oddly in good shape (6)
MISFIT : Eccentric here is a noun. Alternate letters in maids, then a word meaning in good physical shape.

12a     Tate’s first Young British Artist showing desire (6)
THIRST : The first letter of T(ate’s) is followed by a well known British artist. Although he is no longer young (born in 1965) we did learn about the YBA group of artists.

14a     Lures offenders, welcoming pressure (8)
SPINNERS : These pieces of fishing tackle are made by inserting P(ressure) into a word for wrongdoers.
imgres

16a     Crosses sailors, full of anger (8)
SALTIRES : A word for sailors, often preceded by old, includes a three letter synonym for anger.
imgres

19a     Reticent about strange woollen material (6)
SHODDY : A three letter synonym for reticent  includes a word meaning strange.
imgres

21a     Young reporters covering article for islanders (6)
CUBANS : One of the indefinite articles is included in a name for junior reporters.
images

23a     Take steps, concerned with such a victory (8)
WALKOVER : What you do when you take steps by moving your legs, and then a word meaning concerned with.

25a     Enjoyable city work is a deception (5,8)
FUNNY BUSINESS : Enjoyable or amusing is followed by the activities covered by work in the city.

26a     Bursary about to expire for degree in banking (8)
GRADIENT : This degree in banking is the amount of slope. A word to expire is inside a bursary or financial award.

27a     Acquisitive editor in dull surroundings (6)
GREEDY : The colour associated with dull includes the abbreviation for editor.

2d     Irritable desire to eat snake (7)
WASPISH : A three letter snake finds its way into a synonym for desire.

3d     Flier‘s hypocritically virtuous crowd (5)
PILOT : A two letter word for hypocritically virtuous and then a word for a crowd.
imgres

4d     One sets off to trade on explosive (9)
DETONATOR : An anagram (explosive) of TO TRADE ON. With this one it almost works as well by transposing the indicator with the definition. It gives the same answer either way.

5d     Blokes making good for France in cold stores? (7)
GEEZERS : Substitute G(ood) for FR(ance) in a word for cold stores.

6d     Expression of one gloomy about love? (5)
IDIOM : The Roman numeral one, then a word meaning gloomy or not bright with the tennis love included.

7d     Lass doing badly gets instruction for playing (9)
GLISSANDO : A musical instruction. An anagram (badly) of LASS DOING.

8d     More elaborate lover (7)
FANCIER : Double definition.

13d     Coach in rush taught new skills (9)
RETRAINED : The rush is a swamp plant and is split by a word meaning to coach.

15d     Offensive sign — until redesigned (9)
INSULTING : An anagram (redesigned) of SIGN UNTIL.

17d     Answer question on fire raging in water-bearing rock! (7)
AQUIFER : Abbreviation for answer, then abbreviation for question and an anagram (raging) of FIRE.
images

18d     What’s left of deal after cut? (7)
SAWDUST : Cryptic definition. Deal here is the wood of a fir or pine.
images

20d     Doctor sees chaotic day with bandages (7)
DRESSED : One of the abbreviations for doctor, then an anagram (chaotic) of SEES, and finish with D(ay).

22d     Video call from broadcaster on Pope that requires no work (5)
SKYPE : The broadcaster that brings many channels to our TV screens is followed by Pope after you have removed the abbreviation for a work.

24d     Plant requiring a bovine point of view? (2-3)
OX-EYE : What this bovine creature might use to observe the world.
images

Our favourite this week is 5a.

Quickie pun    butter   +   Knowles   =   buttonholes

1. Paso Doble
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

For some reason or other we took ages to get the first few in but then, with the checkers etc…it made a lot more sense. So ***/**** because it was very enjoyable.

Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

2. Graham
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Loved it,but over far to quickly,favourite for me was 2D.many thanks to the 2Kiwis for the review.

3. Angel
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Jay TVM for providing us with more cruciverbal joy again today with this delightful offering. Northwest corner was last to go in but now can’t think why. Liked several including 5a, 3d (took while to parse!), 17d, 18d and 22d. 19a in this context new to me. **/****. Salty Dog came to mind in solving 19a. Thanks 2Ks – keep warm and enjoy the wintry landscape. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

4. dutch
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Some interesting words and learning today. I didn’t realise pi implied hypocritical.

I liked 8d and 18d.

Many thanks Jay and 2Kiwis

Happy to see the unusual welsh name in yesterday’s Times was part of a marriage proposal.

• Paso Doble
      Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I read about the marriage proposal. Very original, romantic and amusing. Let’s hope our regular contributors don’t get the same idea. We wouldn’t know who was proposing to who! If we couldn’t parse it correctly, Big Dave might find himself at the altar with Miffypops.

• Miffypops
        Posted June 17, 2015 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Saint Sharon and Pam may have something to say about that

Posted June 17, 2015 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I loved it too, but it took me a very long time.I found it very difficult to get started.My last two in were my favourites :9a and 22d.
    Thanks Kiwis and Jay.

6. Boomadog
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Well….I found it a difficult nut to crack. 14a was my favourite. Thx to all.

7. spindrift
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

As I sit working with the light on at 11:59am & as we approach the Summer Solstice it’s difficult to imagine that the 2 kiwis are in the middle of their winter & that they’ve got crisp blue skies.

Enjoyed the puzzle & the review. Loved the image for 21a – those mamas are really stokin’!

8. spindrift
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

In the quickie the clue for 7a is ‘Beyonce’s maiden name’ & the answer is shown above however I thought it was ‘CASTLE’……..say it aloud…..

• Beaver
      Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

That’s terrible spindrift! what would Barbara think? for some reason I knew the answer !

9. Beaver
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Like a few others ,slow to get going -always start in the NW corner if possible , but once the ‘top half ‘was complete the ‘lower’half’ fell into place, and I did enjoy the solve so right down the middle and a 2.5*-4*, hard to pick a winner , so i’ll just thank Jay and the 2K’S- liked the shoddy picker, must admit this meaning was new to me.

10. Lymey
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Not a pangram then or have I missed a “J” somewhere?

Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

• Physicist
      Posted June 17, 2015 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Perhaps, since the setter is apparently Jay, he completes the pangram? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Lymey
        Posted June 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Brilliant!! Thank you. (spent ages looking for that “J”!

Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jay. I agree with previous comments that it seemed easier than usual. I also thought that it was more fun as well – 15d and 22d come to mind. Thank you 2Kiwis for your review and hints. It is a bit like winter here today as well ! Pouring with rain in the NW.

12. omar
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Pi was completely new to me and 14a was also not something I had heard of…..but an enjoyable puzzle, and I particularly liked 22d….***/***

13. SheilaP
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Like some others we took ages to get going, but once started it wasn’t too bad at all. I’ve never heard of pi being an abreviation for pious,but it’s probably in the BRB. Thank you to the Wednesday setter and to the 2Kiwis.

14. pommers
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Typically for a Jay puzzle we found the downs easier than the acrosses. On first pass we only got five of the acrosses but then every one of the downs. The acrosses just filled themselves in after that. Enjoyed it while it lasted so it’s */**** from us with 5a favourite.

Interesting that pious can mean both genuinely virtuous and also hypocritically virtuous. A French girl who once worked for me always maintained that English was a language designed to confuse foreigners. Perhaps she was right!

Thanks to Jay and the 2Kiwis.

15. Nev
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

The SW corner held me up and only became apparent with the help of the clues. 3*/3* for me. Thank you to the 2kiwis and Jay.

16. Young Salopian
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle today – not too taxing but it had something for everyone I felt. **\*** are my scores on the doors. 7d reminds me that we are off to Symphony Hall Birmingham later for a concert. Thanks to all, especially the 2Ks for an excellent review.

• Miffypops
      Posted June 17, 2015 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Will that be the covers band doing some Mahler stuff?

Posted June 17, 2015 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find this easier than usual – maybe it’s just me today. 3* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    I was terribly slow to get started and didn’t get any quicker.
    I didn’t know the boxing thingy, or the fishy one or that meaning of 19a although they were all easy enough to guess and look up.
    It took me ages to see why my answer for 5d was right – don’t know why.
    I’ve only just realised how few anagrams there were today – that’ll do for my excuse for finding it tricky!
    I liked 5a and 7d. My favourite, and one of my last answers, was 18d.
    With thanks to Jay and to the 2K’s – keep warm.
    Just picked first sweet peas http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gifboth of them – pathetic! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted June 17, 2015 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I agree with the 2Ks’ rating of 2*/4* for a highly enjoyable puzzle. 17d was a new word for me and 19a was a new meaning of a well known word.

18d was my favourite, with 5a a close second.

Many thanks to Jay and the 2Ks.

19. Paso Doble
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

12a …………….

• Tstrummer
      Posted June 18, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Great song. Video edited by RayT – not THAT RayT, surely?

20. Vancouverbc
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

**/***. Took a while to get going and the SW corner got held up by 16a until the penny dropped. 5a was my favourite. Another glorious day in the offing so kayaking on the Nickomekl river is on the cards.

• Vancouverbc
      Posted June 17, 2015 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Where’s my manners? Thanks to the setter and the 2Ks for the review.

21. fran
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

What a treat , many thanks Jay ?. The best offering for a while ,it took some thought but parsing gave me an endorphin rush ; certainly more than the golf did this morning on a wet and miserable day in Bolton
    9a was my favourite followed by 26a and 18d , needed hint for explanation of 5d( although I guessed it ) and the musical term was a new one on me .
    Thanks to the 2 Kiwis for some colourful and amusing hints.

Posted June 17, 2015 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Not easy but apart from 5d it was very enjoyable. I thought 5d was what I would rate an unfair clue as it requires a leap of faith to solve.
    Thx to all

23. Miffypops
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. 19ac always makes me think of Shoddy and Mungo. Ta to all.

24. Shropshirelad
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable fare from Jay. Like pommers, I go straight to the down clues before looking at the rest (I’m sure that’s down to Cryptic Sue). No real stand out favourite but I liked 3 & 18d.

Thanks to Jay for the puzzle and the 2K’s for their review.

Now, back to the Toughie which is causing me some grief http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

Posted June 17, 2015 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Me too with the Toughie – bottom half is fine but the top’s not looking too good so far . . .

• Hanni
        Posted June 17, 2015 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Ohh..I’m just the opposite. Top half has gone in fine but the bottom is proving difficult.

• Liz
          Posted June 17, 2015 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

I can’t get anywhere with the Toughie…only got 4 clues so far… Might have to resort to the hints …or give up!!

• Shropshirelad
          Posted June 17, 2015 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Hanni, you and Kath should exchange notes http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

However, keep at it (I’ve finally managed to finish)

Posted June 17, 2015 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Just about to have supper – back later on the “other side”.

25. Liz
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle today which started off very well and then slowly ground to a halt about half way through. Then I had to go to work, but when I came back and continued …..all those which had seemed impenetrable suddenly jumped out at me…..very odd…does anyone else have this experience? I really liked 5d, what a great word….. Made me laugh…always reminds me of my Granddad who was a real south London bloke talking about ‘this geezer’!! I was not familiar with the shoddy woollen material..thought my knowledge of fabrics was quite good…obviously not. 17d was good too, but nearly messed it up at the last by putting ‘pupans’ for 21a thinking it must be some remote island in the Pacific, silly woman! Managed without using hints today, so that makes it a 1*/3* for me. Thanks to setter and the 2Ks.

• Vancouverbc
      Posted June 17, 2015 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Returning to a crossword that baffles me on first pass always seems to work. No idea why.

• judetheobscure
      Posted June 20, 2015 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Me – always. I started this one last night. Had most of it done but just couldn’t get those last few. This morning they all fell in place on first read. Have no idea why they wouldn’t come to me last night http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted June 20, 2015 at 11:34 am | Permalink

There is a part of your brain that carries on working on the clues even though the main part of your brain is concentrating on doing something else entirely It’s worked for me for years and years.

26. Hanni
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

**/****

Lovely stuff. Pi in 3d was a new one as was 24d.

5a gets the favourite vote.

Many thanks to Jay and to the 2Kiwis for your usual excellent blog.

Back to my argument with The Toughie whilst making dinner.

Posted June 17, 2015 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

That was a nice refreshing break from the toughie.
    A lot of words in words ( I counted 7) but apart from “in” of 13a, the other indicators gave nice surface to the clues.
    26a is my favourite and my last one in as it happens.
    Thanks to Jay and to 2kiwis for the review.

28. silvanus
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

I found the bottom half more straightforward than the top, not that either was particularly testing, and overall it was a very enjoyable solve.

I also spotted the near panagram (only missing the setter!). Favourite was 26a.

Many thanks to Jay and 2Kiwis.

29. Kitty
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

Miserable weather here, but at least the crossword was good.

Like many of you, I got off to a slow start. Once in, it was steady-going for me … until I couldn’t get 5d. Discovered that was because I’d made a wrong guess at the second word of 9a and forgotten to check it. C’est la vie. (La vie est une plage http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif.)

Other newledge for today: the lures in 14a and the woollen material in 19a. Unlike the boxing one, these caused no problems.

As is usual for a Wednesday I have a long list of likes, but the medallists are 5a, 25a and 6d, all for reasons of surface. 5a wins.

Many thanks to Jay and the Kiwis.

Posted June 17, 2015 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

The beautiful winter that we described in the preamble did not last long. It is not yet daylight here but there is a wind blowing with a light drizzle and we are told that a full blown winter storm is approaching from the south. Ah well, it was good while it lasted.
    Shoddy as a woollen material was also new to us. That’s why we deliberately chose a picture that displayed the word without the need to ‘hover’. Amazing what one learns through cryptics.
    Cheers everyone.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted June 17, 2015 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Short but sweet: 1*/4*. I liked 26a. Thanks to Jay for the pleasure derived from solving it, and to the 2 Kiwis for a most evocative review. Even so, l think I’ll stick with this Cornish summer.

Posted June 17, 2015 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to the 2 Kiwis for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle from Jay, a bit on the gentle side. The only hold up was 11a, which was last in once I got the definition. Favourite was 3d was 2*/4* for me. Went on old Ratty today from Ravenglass to Boot, as the weather was wet.

33. Tstrummer
    Posted June 18, 2015 at 12:46 am | Permalink

At first glance, I thought Jay was going to give me a struggle to keep me up past my bedtime, but after a coup,e fell in, the rest followed in short order. And jolly good they were too. 9a, 26a and 5d were smilers, but sticking its chest out to burst through the tape first is 5a. So thanks to J and to KK for the professional review. 2*/3*

34. judetheobscure