Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

There’s nothing too fearsome in this puzzle – or do you disagree? Do let us know how you got on and give us your verdict.

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so only do that if you find that my hint is inadequate.

Across Clues

1a Part of roof subsided? Must be monitored (12)
EAVESDROPPED – split the answer 5,7 and it means that the part of a roof that overhangs the walls has fallen down.

9a That’s all right at the moment, wagons failing to start (2,7)
NO WORRIES – an adverb meaning at the moment or currently followed by large road vehicles without their first letter.

10a Sound made by Virginia with pan’s separate cover? (5)
VALID – the abbreviation for the State (or Commonwealth) of Virginia and the separate cover of a pan.

11a Song and dance, to a degree (6)
BALLAD – a formal dance followed by A (from the clue) and D(egree).

12a Headache caused by rig collapsing in US state (8)
MIGRAINE – an anagram (collapsing) of RIG goes inside a north-eastern US state.

13a Plantation in eastern part of federation (6)
ESTATE – E(astern) followed by an area or community (of which we’ve had two examples in the clues above) forming part of a federation.

15a Parisian institute, sensitive about German university (8)
SORBONNE – an adjective meaning sensitive or tender contains the name of a university in Germany (and the one-time capital of West Germany). I presume that ‘university’ is there just to try to mislead us as to the clue’s definition, because every city of this size has a university these days.

18a Pelt, after revolution, one who changed sides (8)
TURNCOAT – a pelt or hide follows a revolution or rotation.

19a Throw aunts, nervous about ending in ‘Marnie’ (6)
UNSEAT – an anagram (nervous) of AUNTS containing the end letter of Marnie. I’m not sure what the surface is all about.

21a Sluggish, one inhabitant having caught cold (8)
INACTIVE – the Roman numeral for one and an inhabitant or indigenous resident containing (having caught) C(old).

23a Composition from Bliss on at auditorium (6)
SONATA – hidden (from) in the clue.

26a Furry creature, small in every detail (5)
STOAT – S(mall) and a phrase (2,1,1) meaning exactly or in every detail. Did you know that the young of this animal is called a kit?

27a Italian, in Indian state, left individual to proceed without help (2,2,5)
GO IT ALONE – if you see Indian state in a clue it’s nearly always the 3-letter one which was once a Portuguese territory. Insert the abbreviation for Italian vermouth in it, then append L(eft) and a word meaning individual or single.

28a Crowd largely out of control in area set aside for reporters (5,7)
PRESS GALLERY – a verb to crowd or throng is followed by an anagram (out of control) of LARGELY.

Down Clues

1d Greek leaving French city having received new honour (7)
ENNOBLE – start with a city in south-eastern France at the foot of the Alps and remove the 2-letter abbreviation for Greek. Finally insert (having received) N(ew).

2d This could be a pledge by the Spanish (5)
VOWEL – charade of a pledge or oath and one of the Spanish definite articles. This, or a similar, clue has appeared many times in the past but it always catches me out on first reading.

3d Mocking actors in Indian dress, beginning to chant (9)
SARCASTIC – a word for all the actors in a production goes inside an Indian dress. We finish with the first letter of chant.

4d Charge head of racket, and assistant, from what we hear (4)
RAID – the first letter (head) of racket is followed by what sounds like an assistant. Does FIFA spring to mind?

5d Act I put on for Greek god (8)
POSEIDON – string together an act or pretence, I (from the clue) and a verb to put on (an item of clothing, say).

6d Young fish perpetually circling lake (5)
ELVER – an adverb meaning perpetually or constantly contains L(ake).

7d Everyone intended getting rid of female in partnership (8)
ALLIANCE – a word for everyone is followed by an intended or prospective husband without the F(emale).

8d Stick notice at this point (6)
ADHERE – charade of the short form of a notice or announcement and an adverb meaning at this point in time.

14d Herb found in most of Spanish province (8)
TARRAGON – the name of a province on the Mediterranean coast of Spain without its final A (most of).

16d Just the building for a house-hunter? (5,4)
BINGO HALL – cryptic definition of a place where people congregate to play games of chance.

17d Star hooked by young woman in gambling centre (3,5)
LAS VEGAS – the name of the brightest star in the constellation Lyra goes inside (hooked or captured by) a young woman. Many games of chance are played here, including those featured in the previous clue.

18d Long crumpled T-shirt (6)
THIRST – an anagram (crumpled) of T-SHIRT.

20d Essay about old play — ‘King Lear’, perhaps (7)
TRAGEDY – a verb to essay or attempt contains an adjective meaning old.

22d Teacher tickled trout (5)
TUTOR – an anagram (tickled) of TROUT.

24d A note about worship (5)
ADORE – string together A (from the clue), a note from tonic sol-fa and a preposition meaning about or concerning.

25d Call  round (4)
RING – double definition. Round here is a noun.

Top clues for me were 26a and 2d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: SERVE + AISLE = SERVILE

1. Angel
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:13 am | Permalink

This was a delicious piece of cake. I will not list all the terrific clues for fear of invoking Kath’s wrath. 9a seems to be a Strine expression now imported into everyday U.K. parlance with no problem. Thank you very much Mr. Ron for great enjoyment and Gazza particularly for the tasteful illustrations. **/*****. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

2. dutch
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Quite a lot of travelling going on today (Greek leaving French city, Italian in Indian state, Parisian and German Universities, Spanish provinces and a few US states thrown in).

Favourite clues were 16d (building for house-hunter) and 18d (long crumpled T-shirt).

No, I didn’t realise a baby 26a is a kit.

many thanks Gazza and setter

3. Graham
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Excellent puzzle,not to taxing on the old grey cells all done & dusted without the need for hints.Many thanks to the setter & Gazza for his review.

4. Ora Meringue
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Do not know how I couldn’t see 1d and 16d…but I didn’t.
    Loved 16d.
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I have very mixed feelings about this puzzle.There were far too many old chestnuts. I think I have seen 4d in about half a dozen puzzles over the last few weeks (not just the DT puzzles).
    I didn’t like the way the clues read in 9a and 18d.
    I liked 2d and 18d.
    Thanks Gazza and setter.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:52 am | Permalink

1*/3*. This was a very pleasant diversion, and I agree with Gazza that 26a & 2d were the best of the bunch.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza.

7. Shropshirelad
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

A very enjoyable way to start the day off, even if there are a few old chestnuts. Definitely more enjoyable than today’s Toughie imho for which you need some knowledge of films, comics and TV.

Favourite was 16d.

Thanks to today’s Mr Ron and to Gazza for his delightful review.

8. MikeT
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Last one in: 26A. Jusr couldn’t fathom out the wordplay, to justify ‘stoat’ as the answer. Thanks for the enlightenment Gazza and for your review. Thanks also to the setter, for a very enjoyable puzzle.

• SheilaP
      Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Same for us with ‘stoat’ and without the explanation from Gazza, we never would have worked it out.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I think I might have to go for 3* difficulty because my last three answers took so long and 3* for enjoyment too.
    I spent ages trying to fit all kinds of silly things into 15a; a D for Germany, a U for university etc etc – got there eventually.
    Missed the anagram indicator in 19a and couldn’t work out what the definition was.
    Having not got 15a didn’t have a first letter for 16d so couldn’t see that one for far too long either.
    I quite enjoyed this but thought that some of the surface readings were a touch on the dodgy side.
    Oh – and spent for ever trying to justify ‘atone’ for 24d – an anagram (about) of A NOTE http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
    I liked 28a and 2 (not sure I’ve ever seen this one before) and 18d. My favourite was 26a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to gazza.
    No – I didn’t know that a baby 26a was a kit and I have to confess that nothing is ever further from my mind than FIFA!
    Off to meet a friend for lunch – a good distraction from angsting about elder Pet Lamb who, right now, is in the middle of an interview.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Yes, I too went down the “atone” route first for 24d.

• Angel
        Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Me too!

• Paso Doble
          Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

We did too, but to ‘atone’ isn’t really to ‘worship’. Then the penny dropped with the ‘Sound of Music’ do re mi..etc.

• Hanni
            Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Add me to the list Kath. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• SheilaP
              Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

And me

• Robin Newman
              Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

and me !

• Andy in the Far East
            Posted June 16, 2015 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Everyone remembers the sound of music – but it refers to gregorian notation and there is one semi tone missing “Tay”. Julie Andrews is a benedictine nun.

Gregorian notation has 4 lines – is the earliest notation and is designed for the human voice. modern notatation is designed for musical instruments. If you are a Tenor or Alto you will have seen the problems reading at sight.

The beauty of the system is thatif one area of your choir is weak – say the sopranos with some of the high notes, the leader can start everyone a little bit lower and we still use the same do-ray-me. No need to change the music or transpose it as you would have to do with the modern notation.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

All far too complicated for me. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
              As for Julie Andrews being a nun – I don’t think so, well, not for long anyway.

10. JonP
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

No problems with this one today – I enjoyed it a bit more than the average Tuesday too. Thanks to Gazza and setter **/****

11. Paso Doble
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

We loved this puzzle and agree with Gazza that there was nothing fearsome. After a slow start everything went flying in because of the checkers. In fact, it must be a record for us time-wise on a Mr. Ron puzzle. So, thanks to him, thanks to us and thanks to Gazza…2*/3*

12. Hanni
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

**/***

26a and 24d were my last in. 26a because I could not justify it and 24d as I couldn’t figure the thing out.

Favourite is 16d with 26a a close second.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for blogging, particularly for sorting out a naughty furry creature.

13. Paso Doble
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I don’t know whether Gazza was being cryptic or not but most people involved with FIFA have to wear a ‘kit’.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

I was thinking of the current shenanigans at FIFA HQ with raids on their premises and top people (and their assistants) being charged with corruption.

• Hanni
        Posted June 16, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Made me laugh when I read your FIFA comments. First class.

• Paso Doble
        Posted June 16, 2015 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Of course Gazza, i was kidding…It’a a shambles. should be fun though, when everything comes out in the open…Russia? Qatar?….

Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter. I really enjoyed that – more than yesterday’s puzzle. There seemed to be a greater variety of clue types. Thanks Gazza for the review and hints. Fell into the trap at 24d and – yes – I did know about “kit” in 26a as we have recently been absorbed by Springwatch. Amazing to see a stoat carrying a full grown rabbit ( sorry RD ) The programme is particularly interesting for us as we spend a fortnight in the RSPB Minsmere area every year.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

I’ve warned my rabbit to keep well away from stoats!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Liz
        Posted June 16, 2015 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Stoats are stotally different from weasels which are weasily recognised! (old joke which my kids used love)

15. Beaver
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I’ll start with a*/***as no hitches and entertaining throughout,.one d’oh moment with11a as I thought that Ba was the degree bit and couldn’t figure out why llad was a dance!-in fairness the clue can be read two ways, agree 26a was the best clue, thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza for the blog -loved the stoats.

16. SheilaP
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable and completed without help only to find we had 24d wrong, oh dear. Still, I can live with that so thank you to the Tuesday setter and to Gazza.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Pleasant, and nothing to frighten the horses. No standouts for me, though. Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

18. Jcc285
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Not convinced eavesdropping is monitoring and an elver is a young eel not a fish, isn’t it!

Posted June 16, 2015 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, jcc285.
      According to Chambers an eel is a fish.

19. fran
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

A delicious offering if a mite on the easy side */**** Thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza , 26a very clever although it went in early

20. Young Salopian
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

I’ll go with a **\*** for this little beauty. I don’t mind a few old chestnuts as long as I get them quickly. Thanks for a top review and a comfortable romp through the wordplay.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Very pleasant Tuesday crossword.
    Couldn’t parse 14d at first as I thought Aragon was the Spanish province.
    Nice surface in most of the clues.
    Specially liked 1a and 3d for that reason.
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.
    As for the footie, now that the US are taking care of it :
    Planetary thugs are back in Area Fifty One. (4)

• Kitty
      Posted June 16, 2015 at 10:36 pm | Permalink

Very Good, Jean-Luc :). (Small point: isn’t there a hyphen needed in order to prevent the One being superfluous?) When are you going to treat us to your next puzzle?

Oh, and I too was held up a little with thoughts of Aragon.

22. Liz
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

This took a while to complete, but managed to do so without resorting to the hints. The NW corner gave most difficulty, mainly due to trying to make an anagram of various words in 1a. Once I Had got 2d, all was revealed. Favourite clues were 1a, 2d, and 20d. thanks to Gazza and setter. 2*/2*

Posted June 16, 2015 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable.
    Fave 16d with 26a close on its heels.
    Thanks to setter and to Gazza for review.

24. Vancouverbc
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

*/***. Easy peasy. A nice puzzle which fell right in my zone. 16d was my favourite as I was barking up the wrong tree for a while until the penny dropped. Finished all too quickly sat on the verandah soaking up another sunny evening. Thanks to the setter and G for the review.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

1*/4* – pretty easy, but lots of fun. Favouritism shared between 2 clever clues: 16d and 26a. VMTs to Mr Ron and Gazza..

26. Kitty
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

The crossword was a nice gentle and fun start to the day, prevented from being super-easy for me by the last few I found myself stuck with in the SE. I’d forgotten the Sorbonne (but did work it out) and was annoyingly slow with 24d. I was even more annoyingly slow to think of the right kind of house in 16d – that was my last in.

The solve was too long ago for me to remember which ones I particularly liked, but glancing over it again now, Gazza’a picks seem right.

27. silvanus
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

I found this easier than yesterday, and two clues stood out from the rest – 16d (my favourite) and 26a (last one in).

Many thanks to Gazza and the setter.

Posted June 16, 2015 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

We raced through this one and have put a tick beside 16d as our favourite. Agree with Gazza that the 2d style clues often hold us up longer than they should but today we already had the V as starting letter which was a big help in pointing us in the right direction. Good fun.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

29. Mikey-Mike
    Posted June 16, 2015 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Nice mix of clues but has anyone seen a more amusing one recently than 16d, the Bingo Hall?

Posted June 16, 2015 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very enjoyable nice gentle puzzle. Favourite was 3d, last in was 1d. Was 2*/3* for me. Had to check the hints to see why 2d was what it was. Yesterday Dodd Summit, today Skiddaw, tomorrow rain :-)

• Shropshirelad
      Posted June 16, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Best of luck Heno – take your time to get to the top. Hope the weather’s kind to you.

Weather in Shropshire is dark and wet http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

31. Tstrummer
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 12:36 am | Permalink

Straightforward, enjoyable, but over too quickly. I like 2d, 16d and 26a. Thanks to setter and Gazza. 1*/3*
    BTW, I’d like to draw everyone’s attention to a story on the front page of The Times today (Wed) that turns inside to page 3. A crucibverbal first – and a damn good wheeze. Would the Telegraph have done it? I doubt it.

32. Angel
    Posted June 17, 2015 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Indeed, what a brilliant idea. I have only just heard about it on the News and “No” I doubt the Telegraph would have allowed it but they may well now be bombarded with alternative requests! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

• Tstrummer
      Posted June 18, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

And, by sheer coincidence, the gentleman lawyer involved is an acquaintance of mine. I was MC at the launch of his novel