DT 27815 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27815 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    Uncensored clip circulated during leave (8)
An anagram (circulated) of CLIP inside a verb meaning to leave or depart

5a    Class mostly argue, giving one grief (6)
Most of a class or type followed by a verb meaning to argue

11a    Dish is too much in centre of St-Tropez (7)
The IS from the clue and the three-letter abbreviation meaning too much inside the middle letters (centre) of [St-T]RO[pez]

13a    Detergent son used inside daily (8)
S(on) inside a daily or charlady

20a    At university, have stimulated a liberal revolution (8)
The two-letter word meaning at university followed by an anagram (stimulated) of HAVE, the A from the clue and L(iberal)

23a    New leader, fiery type (7)
An adjective meaning new or up-to-date followed by a leader or chief

27a    Starving in country area disregarded (6)
Start with an Eastern European country and drop (disregarded) the A(rea)

28a    Poet, more humorous, capturing hearts (8)
To get the surname of this lesser-known American Quaker poet start with an adjective meaning more humorous and insert (capturing) H(earts) – comparatively easy to work out from the wordplay, what is more difficult is thinking of anything of note that he has written

1d    Strongly advise her to, if upset about kiss (6)
An anagram (if upset) of HER TO around the letter used to represent a kiss

2d    Cheese and wine celebration cut short (4,5)
A fortified wine followed by most of (cut short) a celebration or tribute

6d    East German — wealthy person who refuses to recognise reality (7)
The German for east followed by an adjective meaning wealthy

8d    Irish writer, the old dramatist, initially staring in a demented way (4-4)
The surname of a famous Irish writer and dramatist followed by the old word for “the” and the initial letter of D[ramatist]

9d    Inquiry about small new care home’s beginning (8)
Two letters that mean about followed by S(mall), an anagram (new) of CARE and the initial letter (beginning) of H[ome]

14d    Private side subtly restricts one sibling in four (8)
To get this colloquial word for an army private put an anagram (subtly) of SIDE around (restricts) one sibling among four born at the same time

19d    Night train  agent, inactive (7)
Two definitions, the second being a currently inactive agent or spy

25d    Keep an eye on wife at church (5)
W(ife) followed by AT and CH(urch)

The Crossword Club is now open.

I’ll be at the village Café and Market this morning – back at lunchtime.

The Quick Crossword pun: welt+reigned=well-trained

1. Angel
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Oh dear this was over so quickly but never mind it was great fun while it lasted. Several contenders for Fav but 16d among others raised a giggle. Afraid the poet was new to me. TVM Setter and indeed BD who I guess may not be much in demand today apart from amusement after the event.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_razz.gif

2. Tantalus
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Delightful romp thru our synaptic pathways. Thank you Messers R and D.

Mr & Mrs T

3. ArthurDent
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Finished well before the hints came out and, a first for me, without any electronic aids or assistance of any kind (although I did have to ask my wife for the name of the cheese – does that count?).
    Overall, splendid enjoyment – with many thanks to the setter and to BD, whose hints I didn’t need, but will read them now in a smugly self-satisfied manner…

• Miffypops
      Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I had to ask my wife Saint Sharon for the cheese. She is now laughing at me.

• Kitty
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Only now? ;)

• Senf
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

MP – You should have used Chambers Crossword Dictionary – it doesn’t laugh at you!

Posted May 30, 2015 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Thank you setter, good fun, no hold-ups. Thanks BD for the hints. Do I spot some members of the FIFA executive in your hint for 6d ?

5. Miffypops
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I want to join The Saturday Crossword Club. Can somebody propose and second me please.. Delightful puzzle with lots of food.

6. Kitty
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Perfect Saturday puzzle. I liked a lot and have no stand-out favourite.

My main hold-ups were a couple of instances where I was trying to make something more complicated out of clues that tuned out to be quite simple.

Thanks to the setter and BD.

I’m off shortly for a weekend of Enforced Fun. Eating, drinking, smiling, and playing with child and dog. It’ll be like a mini Christmas.

Happy Caturday all http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif.

7. Cryptor
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Really enjoyed this. Had to check why the first 3 letters of 23a were what they are. Knew the cheese and the poet, so obviously a cultured sort! If I could work out how to put an emoticon in here on my iPad, it would be the sunglasses and bubble gum one. Fave is 6d for the surface reading and Daves pic. Have a great day.

• Angel
      Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif. No problem – done on my iPad! Simple – just put cursor where you want emoticon and then click on desired one from selection below the Comment box et le voilà! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

• Cryptor
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif oh yeah, thanks.

8. Ora Meringue
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Needed the hints for a couple, but I am a beginner, so that’s OK.
    Had never heard if the poet….which I think makes it an unfair clue in a cryptic.

Knew the cheese, though, so that’s all right then.
    Note to compilers…if Ora knows of the answers then the clues are fair, if not they are unfair.

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave.
    Favourite clue definitely 6d.

Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I was slow to get going but seem to have said that almost every day this week so it’s definitely me.
    Anyway having finished now even I can see that it really wasn’t very tricky.
    It took ages to get the long 10a anagram although I saw the other one almost immediately.
    I’ve never heard of the 28a poet.
    Having got the first and third letters of 6d I spent too long thinking of a common German name.
    I liked 20a and 2 and 24d. My favourite was 16d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.
    Garden now – NTSPP later.

• Jane
      Posted May 30, 2015 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

You’ll love the NTSPP, Kath. Garden here had to take second place – that’s not unusual. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

10. Hrothgar
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Pity about this, wrong envelope.
    Should have been in the one marked ‘Junior Telegraph, Beginner’s Crosswords’
    Still, mistakes happen.
    Nevertheless, many thanks to the setter and BD.

11. Owdoo
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Fun, but easy, accompaniment to my mid-morning coffee. Nearly broke my time record I think, but didn’t actually check the start time so can’t be sure.
    Thanks to the setter and BD.

12. George
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Yes, we seem to have had an quite easy week, this week. Not too much to say about this puzzle other than it was over very quickly.

1*/4*

13. judetheobscure
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Finished in record time. Are the prize puzzles usually easier than the midweeks – they seem to have been the last few weeks? Not heard of the poet but had to be from the clue.
    1*/4* for me. Love BD’s pic for 6d and fave clues were 22d and 26a.

14. Little Dave
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Good afternoon everyone. Yes, this was over very quickly but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Last in was 14d otherwise a bit of a R and W. Thank you to BD and to the Setter. Come on Arsenal. And come on England at Headingley.

• Caravaggio
      Posted May 30, 2015 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Likewise, Little Dave! However, I’m going to watch Bath v Saracens as well and, unlike you, I’m going to be supporting Villa, who were my father’s team although he never lived in the Midlands. It’s a long story…

• Little Dave
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

West Brom for me. Need I say more……!

Posted May 30, 2015 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Do try the NTSPP – it is a nice Prolixic with him in ‘be kind to solvers’ mode.

• Jane
      Posted May 30, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I’ll second that, CS. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

I think that Prolixic is always nice in person but I’m not so sure that he’s being kind to this particular solver who’s now completely sunk on her last couple of answers. Off now to the “other place” to see if there is any help available. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

16. Robin Newman
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

nice to have a puzzle which I can do without electronic aids-almost anyway, as 28A was the exception

17. SheilaP
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Lovely Saturday puzzle, just right for us. Thank you to the Saturday setter and to BD.

Posted May 30, 2015 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I agree with most of what has been said above. A very pleasant Saturday puzzle, but shame about 28a, even though it was easily solvable.

I do like Ora Meringue’s take on what is and isn’t fair.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Many thanks to the setter and to BD.

19. Tantalus
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Can’t figure out 18a – last one in – duh.
    Have found 6 possibles that fit the letters but none have anything to do with uranium?

Help please (before Mr T get back from his shower).

Mrs T

Posted May 30, 2015 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

QUick then.

Def is plant. The chemical symbol for uranium inside a ‘great number’ of something.

• Tantalus
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Thx CS – mrs T

• Tantalus
      Posted May 30, 2015 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

I just noticed he misspelled 2 d – so solved it. He will be impressed.

Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Excellent – keep up the good work

Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

Framboise did warn me at lunch that today’s prize was easy.
    And she doesn’t seem to be the only one.
    Nice way to pass the time between my two shifts.
    I obviously liked 2d, specially as they coined the phrase “its written on it” in their advertising campaign. A French classic really.
    Only used Google for the poet in 28a.
    I think anagrams should never be less than 15 letters from now on. They just pop out like a jack in a box.
    Thanks to the Saturday setter and to BD for the weekend club.

21. Rachel
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Great puzzle, as usual, but also, as usual, I am left with the one 10a, which is obviously so easy no-one else needed a clue!

Help anyone??? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

You are looking for a well-known service – an anagram (orders) of the first three words in the clue.

• Rachel
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

How stupid am I. Of course. Thank you so much crypticsue and BD and setter! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A nice fun puzzle.

Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

My only difficulty was in putting the wrong plant for 18a. Favourite was 16d, was 2*/3* for me. Come on the Gooners.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 31, 2015 at 12:46 am | Permalink

You put a Lupin

24. Young Salopian
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I only strayed into ** time as I was watching the test match on the TV at the same time. Definitely a **** for enjoyment though. A good Saturday puzzle.

25. Paso Doble
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle which was interrupted by sport on the television. Cup Final now!……Up the Gunners!!
    **/****

Posted May 30, 2015 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I know why I’m at the computer – two crossword reviews to type – but am I really the only person not watching the FA Cup Final http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-yawn.gif

Posted May 30, 2015 at 7:08 pm | Permalink

No (I’m watching the Pro 12 rugby final).

Posted May 30, 2015 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

• Franco
      Posted May 30, 2015 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

No (I’m watching the Cricket (& the tennis))

• Angel
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Me too for tennis!

• judetheobscure
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Me too – alternating between the Test Match and Roland Garros :)

• Posted May 30, 2015 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

No way was I going to watch the Sc*m! Sorry that Villa didn’t turn up on the day.

• Heno
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

We did turn up thankfully.

• Miffypops
        Posted May 30, 2015 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

Oh Dear. That word. Sums up all that is wrong with English football. Dearie Dearie Me

Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

No – no rugby, no cricket, no tennis, no football – just http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-yawn.gif to all of that!
      We’ve had a very nice evening – sister-in-law staying for the weekend so we’ve had a lovely supper and lots of family nattering.
      Off to the “other place” now for much needed help.

• Tstrummer
      Posted May 31, 2015 at 12:32 am | Permalink

No. I spent the time in A&E with my younger daughter. Hard to think of a more pleasant way to spend five hours

• Jane
        Posted May 31, 2015 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Oh dear, TS – you do seem to be spending rather a lot of time in hospital at the moment. I do hope she’s OK?

27. Jane
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Ah! All of the afore-mentioned will explain why it’s been so peaceful around here – haven’t heard a lawn-mower all day. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted May 30, 2015 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Entertaining but over all too soon: 1*/3*. I enjoyed 14d. Thanks to the setter, and to BD.

29. McMillibar
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Even with a thick head from recent exertions this was a read-write job. Fun though and did need to consult my BH for the name of the cheese which was last in. 14d was the best clue for this hobo. Thanks setter and BD… And everyone. The world would be a thinner place withou you all.

30. Ginny
    Posted May 30, 2015 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks to setter for this which isn’t taking too long so far. Thanks, BD, for the review. Found a spot of 4d on YouTube.

31. Tstrummer
    Posted May 31, 2015 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Simples – but thanks anyway to BD for being there in case