Hints and tips by Dutch

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

It was wonderful to see so many of our regulars at the George in London at the Sloggers and Betters meeting. I was a bit worried that yesterday’s pleasures might affect my crossword this morning – I managed ok but there were a few tricky bits especially in the SE corner (19d was my last one in) – so I agree with Big Dave’s ratings. Some nice anagrams, and perhaps appropriately to yesterday’s festivities, Jay seems mildly obsessed with drink today – or does it just seem that way to me..?

Definitions are underlined as usual. Please leave a comment telling us what you thought. You can also add your assessment by selecting from one to five stars at the bottom of the post.

1a    What might be played by graduates during tennis match? (6,4)
DOUBLE BASS: What’s being played is an instrument – recipients of a Bachelor’s degree (graduates) inside (during) a type of tennis game

6a    Keeps still, stifling attention-seeker (4)
PSST: A lurker, hidden in the clue (stifling)

10a    Check around the front of son’s gum (5)
RESIN: A verb mean to check or control around the first letter (front) of son

11a    Critical point for lake to the west of Slough (9)
WATERSHED: A composite of a general word that describes a lake, or it’s content perhaps, placed to the west of a 4-letter verb meaning to cast skin (slough)

12a    Paper with price increase, daily that’s seen in the East (7)
SUNRISE: One of the popular tabloids and a word for price increase gives you something you see every day in the East, weather permitting

13a    Energy put into saying everything is for defence, in the main (3,4)
SEA WALL: The usual abbreviation for E(nergy) is inserted (put into) a 3-letter word for saying or maxim followed by a word meaning everything

14a    Spare weights must be set aside (5,7)
STAGE WHISPER: Anagram of SPARE WEIGHTS (must be set)

18a    Potentially all decent — bar this stage performer! (6,6)
BALLET DANCER: Another anagram (potentially) of ALL DECENT BAR

21a    Gatwick Express — best going back across river (7)
AIRPORT: Gatwick is one of these – we have a 3-letter verb meaning to express or broadcast followed by a 3-letter word meaning best or highest reversed around (back across) the abbreviation for R(iver)

23a    Managed to find ‘Tigon’, say, in large dictionary (7)
LOCATED: Tigon is a cross between a tiger and a lioness, which is an example (“say” in the clue) of a 3-letter word that describes this large group of animals including the domestic kind – which is then placed inside the abbreviation for L(arge) plus a 3-letter abbreviation of a dictionary (not BRB)

24a    Dark beers for these fliers? (9)
NIGHTJARS: The dark part of our 24-hour cycle plus a colloquial term for glasses of beers, quite a few of which were enjoyed in London at the sloggers and betters get-together yesterday

25a    Still at the office? Finishes to leave for appointment … (5)
INERT: A 2-letter word for at the office (e.g., the doctor is **) followed by the final letters (finishes to) of the last 3 words in the clue

26a    … appointment delayed, left to bunk off for day (4)
DATE: A word meaning delayed, where L(eft) is replaced by (to bunk off for) D(ay)

27a    Bulletin putting four points in front of landlord (10)
NEWSLETTER: The 4 compass points come before the person you pay rent

1d    Pressure from unionist wearing frock (6)
DURESS: An abbreviation for U(nionist) (it’s in Chambers!) inside (wearing) another word for frock

2d    Take some detours in expectation of bears (6)
URSINE: Another hidden clue (take some) inside “detours in expectation”

3d    Hen night lot? Too drunk, and old (4,2,3,5)
LONG IN THE TOOTH: Anagram (drunk) of HEN NIGHT LOT TOO

4d    With bended knees, pleaded giving sanctuary to bird (3-6)
BOW-LEGGED: A word for pleaded or beseeched containing (giving sanctuary to) a 3-letter bird normally considered wise

5d    Positions after listening to views (5)
SITES: A word that sounds like (after listening to) a word meaning views, as in things you see rather than opinions

7d    Sleeps soundly after school drink (8)
SCHNAPPS: You probably would sleep soundly after this strong drink: 3-letter abbreviation for SCH(ool) followed by (after) a word meaning sleeps briefly but spelled with an extra consonant (so it sounds like sleeps, sleeps “soundly”)

8d    Time line accepted by stranger with small children (8)
TODDLERS: Lego construction time: start with the abbreviation for T(ime), add a word mean stranger or weirder which contains (accepted by) the abbreviation for L(ine), then add a final S(mall)

9d    Stupidly misreading core activity of the Mafia (9,5)
ORGANISED CRIME: An anagram (stupidly) of MISREADING CORE

15d    North-East is inclined to support Central London drink menus (4,5)
WINE LISTS: The abbreviation N(orth) E(ast) and a verb meaning “is inclined”, as a boat might, all underneath (supporting) the 2-letter postal code for Central London

16d    Got into a bed, drunk (8)
OBTAINED: An anagram (drunk – again) of INTO A BED

17d    Settle, covering both sides fine (3,5)
ALL RIGHT: A verb meaning to settle or to land around the abbreviations for L(eft) and R(ight) (covering both sides)

19d    Bond, maybe, relating to urban culture? (6)
STREET: Bond is an example (“maybe”) of one of these in London, as are Fleet, Oxford, Carnaby, etc. As an adjective, this answer describes the second half of the clue, as in ******-music, -cred, -wise, etc.

20d    Times boss travelled up across centre of city (6)
EDITOR: The job the Times boss holds is also a 4-letter word for travelled reversed and containing (up across) the middle two letters of cITy

22d    Angry speech, losing one deal (5)
TRADE: A 6-letter word for an angry speech or rant without the Roman numeral for one (losing one)

My favourites have to be 4d and 23a – what are yours?

The Quick Crossword pun: candied+hates=candidates

1. Angel
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Let off lightly again today mainly thanks to all those anagrams. Penny was slow to drop for 19d and 6a didn’t occur to me. Was working on James for 19d. Thanks Jay and Dutch. ***/***.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

2. rod
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Enjoyable but took some time to solve the more obscure clues like 25a and 19d. My favourites were 4d and 7d.
    Thanks to setter and to Dutch for the hints

3. Miffypops
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:48 am | Permalink

A little more testing today but nothing too difficult and a bit of help from the anagrams. Thanks to Dutch and thanks to Jay. Lunch at The Hotel Tresanton today. Crab Sandwiches. Pimms. Cider. Deep joy all round

4. Beaver
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:54 am | Permalink

A **/**** for me today, some excellent clues including two anagrams with brilliant surface readings- 14a and 9d.24a brought a smile, thanks Dutch for the animal pics.Found the NW corner of the ‘quickie’ difficult.

Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:55 am | Permalink

2*/3*. This was good fun, all solved quite smoothly except for a few clues in the SE corner with 25a my last one in.

I was very surprised to find 6a in my BRB. I must remember that next time I play Scrabble, although it would be rather a waste of two “S”s. I was also a little surprised to see one of the words in the answer for 14a appearing in the clue for 18a.

Many thanks to Jay and to Dutch.

6. Paso Doble
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Tricky today but very enjoyable. We also got held up in the South East corner but got there in the end.

***/*** seems about right. Well done again Dutch and thanks to Jay for an interesting puzzle.

It was good fun meeting everybody yesterday and look forward to the next gathering.

Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

We seem to have been a bit slow getting started on this one, but once we were underway it all fitted together smoothly with the usual good fun that we expect on a Wednesday.
    It was an amazing experience for us yesterday, meeting up with so many people who had previously only been names to us. Setters, bloggers and solvers. It still has a surreal feeling about it all. Thanks to everyone who was there, it made a real highlight to our visit.
    Thanks Jay for the puzzle and Dutch for another excellent review.

8. Shropshirelad
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable puzzle from Jay and much fun to be had in it’s solving. Lots of very good clues with excellent surfaces – particularly the anagrams. Liked 6a for it’s brevity (good luck with that lurker, Kathhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif) but my favourite has to be the 25/26a combo. I know that’s 2 but I’m feeling brave today.

Thanks to Jay for the puzzle and Dutch for another great review.

Had a brilliant time at The George yesterday – it was great to meet so many of you http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

9. Nev
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today, except I had to resort to revealing the answer to 6a, it just didn’t occur to me! 3*/3* for me, and thanks to Dutch and Jay.

10. George
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

This took longer than it probably should due to my slow solving of the anagrams! But very enjoyable. I was not sure about 6a being a proper word but I did find it in BRB – amazing!
    2*/4* for me.

Thanks to all for puzzle and blog as always.

Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

Tricky little devil today at least on the right hand side. One of those where I had all the answers (except 6a, ghastly clue!) but needed the hints to expplain why ie 11a, (capitalising Slough was clever but a bit underhand), 21a, 23a, 25a, 8d and 17d.
    Thx To all

Posted May 20, 2015 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle from Jay today. 6a was probably my favourite. 4d was very clever.I agree with Dutch, about the slight obsesssion with drinks, especially if you include Tequila Sunrise.
    Thanks to all.

Posted May 20, 2015 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I think I’ll go for 2* and 4* today – maybe a tiny bit more than the 2* for difficulty.
    It sounds as if I was the only twit to make heavy weather of the ‘why’ for 21a. I had the ‘best’ as the ‘A1’, a choice of three possible rivers – two ‘R’s and that well known Chinese river, the Po – then juggled that lot round a few times and still couldn’t see it – it took ages to get it all sorted out. Oh dear!
    The 9d Mafia anagram also took a while and so did 19d.
    Anyway, all good fun as usual on Wednesdays.
    I liked 1a and the combination of 25 and 26a and 2d (even though it was one of the dreaded lurkers) and 3d. My favourite was 6a because it was silly.
    With thanks to Jay and thanks and well done to Dutch, especially after yesterday! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Kitty
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Not the only twit – not that you are one! I did exactly the same thing with 21a.

Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Oh good – I hate being the only one to do something like that. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Liz
          Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Me too!

• neveracrossword
          Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Me 2.

14. fran
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

A bit of head scratching today especially 6a , ps what is BRB ? , and the very clever ( or poor depending on your point of view) 19d . Needed the hints for both of these; Enjoyed this one ****
    Thanks to Jay and Dutch

Posted May 20, 2015 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

The BRB is The Chambers Dictionary so called because it is a B(ig) R(ed) B(look).

• Miffypops
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

You will have to look in the FAQ for the BRB I do not own one

15. Sim
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

Odd one today, on first read through I found I’d only filled in 2 answers then it all suddenly opened up like a petal unfurling! Obviously in a poetic mood today! 19d gave me the most trouble like everyone else it seems
    Thanks to all

16. JonP
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle that I found pretty straightforward. Thanks to Dutch and Jay */****

17. Kitty
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

A big hello to those of you whose company I had the pleasure of yesterday. It was great fun.

For entirely unrelated reasons, today’s was an afternoon solve http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif. I found it an enjoyable puzzle, one that felt a bit stiff at first but yielded steadily.

A couple of the parsings caused me headaches: 21a, and 25a where I was held up trying to substitute appointment for finishes in at the office. Oops http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif.

I can’t pick a favourite today, but I did like the drinky feel to the puzzle. Maybe I should have done it last night after I rolled in. 6a raised a smile and 19d was my last in and a satisfying end.

Thanks and well done to Dutch for managing to review after yesterday’s jollity – and another quality one it is too. I see Kath has overlooked the two favourites :). Thanks also to Jay for another Wednesday delight.

I should do some worky-type stuff now, then I’ll reward myself with Dutch’s Rookie Corner puzzle.

18. omar
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Definitely a *** for difficulty for me….as for others, the SE corner was the problem area – 25a and 19d both had me foxed!

Posted May 20, 2015 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to Dutch for the review and hints. I must have been on Jay’s wavelength, the only problems were in parsing 26a&19d, the latter was last in. Favorite was 1a, but 14a also deserves a mention. Great to meet everyone yesterday at the George. Here is a weather update for Shropshirelad, now overcast in Central London :-) Was 2*/3* for me.

• Shropshirelad
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

. . . and in Oxford it’s pretty much the same as in London by the sound of it.

• Shropshirelad
          Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks to you as well Kath http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

20. Derek
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

A pleasant solve today not very tricky.
    Faves : 1a, 24a, 3d & 19d.

Back home in NL after nice sunny month down in the Var. Here it is sunny but rather cool – when I got up this AM the central heating was on!

21. Young Salopian
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

Inthink the BD rating of 3/3 is bang on for today’s excellent puzzle from Jay. There was a great mixture of elegant wordplay, clever anagrams and a couple of toughies to satisfy me this afternoon. Thanks to all.

Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jay – thank heavens for anagrams. I found this tricky but found a lot of help with the long anagrams. Thanks Dutch for your review and hints and photos. Sounds like a lot of fun yesterday !

23. Liz
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

No problems with this one.some very nice clues…. Particularly liked 24a 10a and 4d, but my favourite which really made me laugh was 6a…..it took a while to get, but I was rewarded with a huge guffaw……reminded me of one of those saucy postcards we used to get at the seaside years ago! Thanks to the setter and to Dutch, a very enjoyable puzzle */***. Now perhaps try the Toughie…. Bound to be deflated after yesterday’s easier Toughie solve, but hey ho! Have a go!

• Angel
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Liz, I too coped easily with yesterday’s Toughie but today was a different matter and I’m afraid I have decided to throw in the sponge! Hope you do better than I did! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Liz
        Posted May 20, 2015 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Only got 6 clues, then decided to retire gracefully. Might give it another go later….I can often do better late in the evening than earlier in the day…..I’m an ‘owl’ rather than a ‘lark’!

• Angel
          Posted May 21, 2015 at 11:38 am | Permalink

I too am very much on the owl front although I do usually try to attack the Cryptic over breakfast (late!) but this Toughie beat me at various times in the day!

Posted May 20, 2015 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Good luck to you Liz and Angel – http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif – given up! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

24. silvanus
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable solve with some lovely wordplay and delicious anagrams (9d and my favourite 14a).

Somewhat surprised to see “drunk” appearing twice as an anagram indicator for 3d and 16d, but as a superior bird to us Rookies, Jay can comfortably get away with it!

Many thanks to the setter and to Dutch – it was great to meet you yesterday and congratulations again on your debut puzzle :-)

As others have commented, it was a pleasure to see such a good turnout yesterday and to meet so many regulars, especially of course our Antipodean visitors.

25. Gwizz
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle from Jay with some excellent clues. 7d was my favourite just because of the association. 3*/3* over all.
    Thanks to Jay and to Dutch for rising to the challenge!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

26. Owdoo
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

A very rewarding puzzle which seemed tricky to begin with but fell into place as the old grey matter got warmed up. Some really nice surfaces, good anagrams and cleverly hidden lurkers (I never realised that 6a was an actual “word” and it was my last one in).
    Thanks to both Jay and Dutch.

In other news, I had a very nice surprise when I got home from work to find a parcel and letter from Phil McNeill informing me that I’d won a fountain pen in last week’s Saturday prize crossword competition! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

Well Done That Man

Posted May 20, 2015 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Great – well done to you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Liz
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Congratulations, Owdoo!

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Well done Owdoo.

• dutch
      Posted May 21, 2015 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Congratulations, well done! You are part of a select group! Really wanting a telegraph pen, I mailed in the prize puzzles religiously for many years without success. I tend to submit from my iPad now where the prize is a £50 Amazon voucher – nice, but doesn’t have the appeal of a telegraph pen (anyway, no success there either).

27. Jay legs
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

I agree ***/*** ;) Thanks to setter and to Dutch. Psst I often wonder how many entries there are to the Saturday Prize Cryptic Crossword? :(

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

I think that all the people who do the Telegraph crosswords are on this blog.

• dutch
        Posted May 21, 2015 at 7:37 am | Permalink

BigDave will have the figures, but I the sites gets thousands of hits so there are many more people who look at it than comment, and that remains a subset of all telegraph puzzlers.

Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Did much better on this one. Just 6a. Did a perfect Kath on that one. Oh dear. It didn’t even occur to me that the answer might be hidden.
    Liked 17d the most.
    Thanks to Jay and to Dutch for the review.

29. ezfer
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

A rare post from me to celebrate finishing on the same day as puzzle printed for once (I only get hold of the paper in the evening so quite a bit behind most of you!). Well, I say finish, I gave up on 6a. But I didn’t have any problem with 19d, perhaps helped by being slightly on the younger side of the cryptic crossword demographic? (just the ‘wrong’ side of 40). Didn’t parse 17d correctly either but other than that quite pleased with myself. SW was last corner to fall. Thanks to Jay & Dutch for the challenge & the help respectively!

• Tstrummer
      Posted May 21, 2015 at 12:54 am | Permalink

You shouldn’t worry about posting late – it’s unlikely that you’ll be later than me – it’s still good to feel part of the community, even if you miss out on the banter. Keep commenting, loads of people will read it and appreciate your taking part

• judetheobscure
      Posted May 22, 2015 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

I’m only two days behind with this one. I completed 27,775 yesterday which dates back to April http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif.
      I’m beginning to get more of them completed without any help though which is the main thing. Just two clues left to do on yesterday’s 27,807 http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

For this puzzle I agree 3*/3*. Favourite was 9D.
      Last in, the pair at 17D, 21A which I had sitting in the possibles area for a long time, but only parsed 17D at the end. Filled in 21A without seeing the parsing.

Thanks to Jay and to Dutch.

30. Tstrummer
    Posted May 21, 2015 at 1:03 am | Permalink

After yesterday’s stroll in the park, this was a much more satisfying challenge, that involved two pints and possibly too much tobacco, but a warm feeling of smug satisfaction on completion. Some terrific anagrams (14a was my favourite) and some excellent misdirections, great surfaces and few gimmes. I guess 6a was my overall favourite- it wasn’t until after I got it that I realised it was a lurker. I looked long and hard at 25a before writing it in, but I needed Dutch fully to explain why, so thanks to him for another first-rate review and thanks to Jay for such a meaty exercise. Up early to try to entertain the Australians, Lord knows what with, but I’m sure he will provide.

31. Wahoo
    Posted May 21, 2015 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Funny, compared with other’s comments, I found quite easy tonight, well inside 1* for time. But enjoyable,. Now to try Thursday’s – always fun to do two on the trot.(..And what a cracker to start with in 1a!!!)

32. almo
    Posted May 21, 2015 at 8:02 am | Permalink

6 a – does p**t really mean still ?

• RichardW
      Posted May 21, 2015 at 8:15 am | Permalink

No, the definition is attention seeker. The answer is in Keeps still

• almo
        Posted May 21, 2015 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Richard – thank you for that, but , being pedant-in-chief, I still (there’s that word again!) can’t equate the word (if it is a word) “psst” with “attention- seeker”. “Psst” may be what an attention seeker does, but it doesn’t describe him (or her). Sorry I still (!) think this is an awfully bad clue

• Liz
          Posted May 21, 2015 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Late post…. Surely it is the sound ‘psst’ which is the attention seeker, like ‘Oi’ or ‘hey’ ??

• Bernard Juby
            Posted May 30, 2015 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

My favourite was 17d I agree with Liz – one seeks some-one’s attention by saying psst! NOT to draw attention to oneself.