Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

An early posting from me today as I’m off to get the train to London, where I hope to see many of you at the S&B gathering later on.

This was all going swimmingly until I had a bit of a hold-up in the SE corner. I did find it enjoyable, with some rather good anagrams – how about you?

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so only do that as a last resort.

Across Clues

1a Scattered boxes close to store (6)
SPARSE – a verb meaning boxes (in the ring, say) followed by the closing letter of store.

4a Weapon-holder in small taxi, driven initially round block (8)
SCABBARD – S(mall), a taxi and the initial letter of D(riven) contain a verb to block or obstruct.

9a At sea in a launch (6)
AFLOAT – A (from the clue) followed by a verb to launch (a company on the stock market, for example).

10a Where a golfer may be seen heading in the right direction (2,6)
ON COURSE – where a golfer may be seen before heading for the nineteenth hole.

11a Quickly pass to the suspect (9)
POSTHASTE – an anagram (suspect) of PASS TO THE.

13a Conveys object on board steamship (5)
SENDS – an object or goal goes inside (on board) the usual abbreviation for steamship.

14a Getting beneath station (13)
UNDERSTANDING – a preposition meaning beneath is followed by a word meaning station or rank.

17a Telephoned by a drunk? That’s unacceptable (6,3,4)
BEYOND THE PALE – an anagram (drunk) of TELEPHONED BY A.

21a Squabbles caused by dogs mother’s abandoned (5)
TIFFS – start with dogs of a large, strong breed then drop (abandoned) the affectionate term for mother and the ‘S.

23a Success with single is a sort of accident (3-3-3)
HIT-AND-RUN – string together a success (in the charts, say), a conjunction meaning with and a single at cricket.

24a ‘Blind alley’, possibly clued as ‘Close’, originally (3-2-3)
CUL-DE-SAC – an anagram (possibly) of CLUED AS followed by the original letter of C(lose).

25a English country manor (6)
ESTATE – E(nglish) followed by a country or nation.

26a What may be evident to east in the latter part of the day? (8)
EVENTIDE – an anagram (what may be) of EVIDENT followed by E(ast).

27a Evergreen tree with crack in it, set back (6)
MYRTLE – a deciduous tree contains a crack or attempt. Now reverse the lot (set back).

Down Clues

1d Is coming over about affected seafood (6)
SCAMPI – reverse (coming over) IS and insert an adjective meaning affected or theatrical.

2d County town may be busy early, surprisingly (9)
AYLESBURY – an anagram (surprisingly) of BUSY EARLY gives us the county town of Buckinghamshire.

3d Completely intoxicated son’s given ground (7)
SMASHED – S(on) is followed by (given) a past participle meaning ground or pulped.

5d Cheerfulness shown by soldiers after short time under canvas below bluff (11)
CONTENTMENT – pay attention, this is complicated. A word for ordinary soldiers follows T(ime) and that’s put under canvas (i.e. in a ****). Finally that all goes after (below, in a down clue) a verb to bluff or hoax.

6d US actor and actress Eleanor accompanying boy (7)
BRONSON – the surname of comedy actress Eleanor goes with a young male relative. I’m not sure how many people under fifty will remember the actress.

7d Professional wearing article, protective garment (5)
APRON – the abbreviation for a professional goes inside (wearing) an indefinite article.

8d Groom ahead of time in equestrian event (8)
DRESSAGE – a verb to groom or style precedes a period of time.

12d Pull out queen, say — this may win you instant cash (7,4)
SCRATCH CARD – a verb to pull out or withdraw (from a race, for example) is followed by what a queen is an example of.

15d Beer, for example, at inn — ‘bier’ abroad (9)
INEBRIANT – this is something that can get you 3d. It’s an anagram (abroad) of AT INN BIER.

16d Old boy’s story about opening of cocktail bar (8)
OBSTACLE – start with the abbreviation for old boy then add a story containing the opening letter of cocktail.

18d Budding number on climb (7)
NASCENT – the single-letter abbreviation for number precedes (on, in a down clue) a climb or upward slope.

19d Girl ringing home for forgiveness (7)
AMNESTY – the name of a girl (one of Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women, for example) goes round (ringing) a comfy home.

20d Queen describing former extension (6)
ANNEXE – the name of the last Stuart monarch contains (describing) a prefix meaning former.

22d River, south-eastern? Wrong (5)
FALSE – a river in Cornwall is followed by the abbreviation for south-eastern. Rather clever, because the river is not south-eastern, it’s south-western.

The clues I liked best were 17a, 24a and 22d. Which one(s) had you cheering?

Today’s Quickie Pun: PRIMER + SEIZE = PRIMACIES

1. Miffypops
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Done in a blink today. The easiest in years. The sun is shining between the showers. I can see the river at 22d. Nobody under fifty will remember the actor at 6d either. He had the same expression on his face to show happiness, sadness, surprise, agony, pain, puzzlement, horror, fear, life, death. One expression suits all. Lunch at The Quarterdeck at The Nare Hotel looms. Seafood here I come. Thanks for the blog Gazza. Thanks for the puzzle Mr Ron

• Harport
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:36 am | Permalink

A pretty easy but very enjoyable puzzle today.
      Last week I too was admiring the Fal in the sunshine from the National Maritime Museum but back in Worcestershire today which is also beautiful but rather wet at the moment.

• pommette
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Oooh – let us know what the Nare Hotel is like. Not been there but heard of it.
      It’s only 13 miles from Mr Poms mum – although takes forever to get to by car if you go the direct route!

• Miffypops
        Posted May 19, 2015 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

It is perfect Pomette. We visit annually

Posted May 19, 2015 at 9:55 am | Permalink

3*/3*. This enjoyable puzzle came with what to me was a strange mixture of difficulties. The NE and SW were R&W, the NW more challenging, and the SE (bottom right, Kath – if that helps http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif) downright hard, with the very cunning 27a my last one in.

My immediate reaction for 17a from the enumeration and definition was that answer might be “Taking the p***”, but I decidedly correctly that was very unlikely in the DT.

15d although derived from a common verb was a noun which was new to me.

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and to Gazza.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:14 am | Permalink

It was the SW corner that caused us most delay this morning as we took some time to find the correct word for 16d. Not too challenging and good fun. We are just about to leave for the train station too as we have a couple of calls to make before heading to The George this afternoon. Looking forward to meeting many of you there.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

4. overtaxed
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Agree with Gazza. Some very clever anagrams. Very enjoyable but not easy peasy ,MP.
    ***/***
    Favourite 23a
    Thanks to Gazza and setter.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:37 am | Permalink

One of the great things about this blog is it’s levelling capability. Some find a puzzle impossible while others seem to romp through but next day the rompers struggle and the strugglers romp. I do have too many years of daily solving behind me and a good memory so a massive head start on many commenters. Another thing I have noticed is that some people who commented about finishing their first puzzle without hints because of what they have learnt from this sight are now regularly commenting on The Toughie blog and managing to finish some toughies.
      A Jayday tomorrow. He usually slows me down.

• jean-luc cheval
        Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I totally agree.
        And talking about the toughie, everyone should have a go at it today. It is on the same par as the back page with anagrams aplenty.

• Hanni
          Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Agree Jean-luc, the Toughie is worth a look, especially for anyone new to it.

• Angel
            Posted May 19, 2015 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Yes indeed the Toughie is a pleasant cinch today with slight distraction by couple of unbelievable hailstorms but now here in W. Sussex we have bright sunshine again – feels like April.

• Liz
          Posted May 19, 2015 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I agree, the Toughie is very doable today, even for a relative rookie like me! Give it a bash.

• pommette
        Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

Spot on Miffy. We romped today with just 3 across clues left unsolved at the end of the first pass. Got 2 once we had the checkers but 27a foxed us. The asnwer had to be said tree, but could I parse it. Nooooooooooooo

• Brian
        Posted May 19, 2015 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

I only attempt the Toughie when CrypticSue instructs me to do so.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

I didn’t have you down as someone who did what they were told to do!

• Brian
        Posted May 19, 2015 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

I know exactly what you mean. Most people romp though those puzzles set by my nemesis but I struggle as you know (ad nauseam) yet today’s I breezed through whilst others struggled. That’s the beauty of the human mindhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

5. Paso Doble
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:51 am | Permalink

We are in a bit earlier today because of afternoon commitments elsewhere in the Capital….I, rather than we, thought that this was an incredibly enjoyable puzzle. The prettier half of Paso Doble has been walking the dog on Hampstead Heath and might very well be cross with me for finishing the thing before she returns.

Looking forward to seeing everybody under the shadow of the Shard a little later on.

I thought it was a **/**** because with the checkers everything slotted in quite easily peasily. I agree with Miffypops’ evaluation.

We’ll see you all later. Thanks to Captain Scarlett’s nemesis for a great puzzle and Gazza for his always informative and entertaining review.

6. Kitty
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Mostly very gentle, but I had to google the actress in 6d. I also needed Gazza to explain why single means the last word of 23a, and 27a has eluded me thus far. Grr.

Nice to see the other Pet Lamb in today’s puzzle, Kath.

For their surface readings, 15d and 19d are contenders for favourite. 15d wins because it is rather appropriate for today. See some of you soon – yay!

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review which I have read most of, carefully avoiding 27a.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Found it quite straightforward as well.
    Liked the anagrams also and favourite clue is 19d.
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

8. silvanus
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable stuff, some delightful surfaces, excellent anagrams and an overall pleasure to solve.

Everything went in quite easily until the NW corner where the anagram in 2d was far more tricky than it should have been and delayed completion of the rest of that quadrant.

Favourite clues were 27a and 19d.

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza (look forward to seeing you and several others this afternoon).

9. George
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Yes, a very simple one today, but very enjoyable all the same. The grid helped quite a bit as there are lots of cross check letters!

1*/4*

10. Young Salopian
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I too found this one of the easiest puzzles of late, but still an enjoyable, albeit brief, romp through the grid. The degree of difficulty seems inversely proportional to the amount of time available to complete it, so free morning equals easy puzzle.

11. fran
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:15 am | Permalink

In parts simple but held up 11a and 6d , went for Charles , didn’t know Eleanor how old do you have to be to remember her ? . Wouldn’t it be interesting if modern day young actors and actresses were thrown e.g. the stars of Trainspotting or Transcendence ?
    27a was my favourite clue **/*** thanks to Gazza and the setter.

12. Angel
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:22 am | Permalink

That didn’t require too much head-scratching but was fun while it lasted. There were elements of bunging-in where anagram indicators such as drunk and suspect were missed and needed Gazza to parse 27a for me. NW corner was last to go in thanks to initially filling in 1d as 1a? No stand-out Fav(s). Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza. **/***.

13. JonP
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Straightforward as per a few of the above comments. Thanks to Gazza and setter */***

14. Cryptor
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Possibly one of my fastest solves ever, but some lovely clues, surface readings and misdirections, so */**** for me. favourite 27a. Thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza

15. Hanni
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:53 am | Permalink

**/***

This gets an extra difficulty star for 27a. Got the answer, spent awhile figuring out why. The rest was R&W. And a very pleasant one at that.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for blogging.

Thunder lightning and hail today. Fun.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. I enjoyed this one very much. A bit on the gentle side. Just needed the hints to parse 17a, missed the anagram but somehow got the answer, and 27a which was last in. Favourite was 15d. Off to get some at the George soon. Was 1*/4* for me.

17. Sheepdog
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Surely everyone knows the actress – she plays Carol Tragorran in The Archers – oh, just me then

• pommette
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Not listened to the Archers in a long long time unfortunately.
      Well I never to her appearing in siad prog – had to google what you were going on about !

• Franco
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Did she survive the Flood?

Wot me? Listen to the Archers? Never!

• George
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Carol Tragorran, when I last listened to the Archers, was played by Anne Cullen – but a lot of years have flowed by since then!

• Ora Meringue
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

You took the words from my mouth, sheepdog.

Eleanor Summerfield, now….she would be a blast from the past.
      (Many a slip.)

18. Spook
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Pleasant puzzle today only trouble NE corner but once afloat all went in nicely.
    Many thanks to Gazza and Mr Ron.

19. pommette
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

1* / 4* for us today.
    Ended with just 3 across clues left unsolved at the end of the first pass. Got 2 of them once we had the checkers but 27a foxed us. Grrrrr had to use your hint Gazza.
    Thanks Gazza for the review and to Mr Ron for the puzzle.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I quite enjoyed this one today. and apart from 27a, my last one in, all quite straightforward.
    Many thanks to setter, and to Gazza.

21. SheilaP
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

A bit of a mixture for us today. Some quite reasonably easy clues and one or two where we just couldn’t get the answer until we looked at the hints. Bright sunshine here on the East Coast, interspersed with really nasty showers, and not very warm either. Thank you to the Tuesday setter and to Gazza.

22. Liz
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

No real problems today, pretty straightforward really. Only trouble spots were 1a and 27a……got the answers, but the reasoning escaped me, so had to look at the hints then alles klar! Also had a bit of a hold up with 19d.. The answer was obvious, but thinking the home referred to was the ‘sty’ bit of the answer I obviously couldn’t make the rest of it fit …then the penny dropped. I thought 1d was amusing…. Lovely with chips and Tartare sauce Mmmm! Thanks to setter and to Gazza…my rating today **/*** (two stars for difficulty as I had to use the hints to check rationale…otherwise would have been a one star job.)

23. Gwizz
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Fairly straight forward today; 27a went in quite early I’m surprised to say!
    12d maybe the favourite and 2*/3* overall.
    Have fun at The George.
    Thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable and doable although I am sure I take quite a lot longer than others, so it certainly wasn’t a romp.I was delighted with myself for working out the inverted charade in 6d which I would never have been able to do in the past.My favourite was 12d.
    Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 19, 2015 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Inverted charade? We need a street bloggers new term for that.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

Tits up?

25. Hrothgar
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable struggle.
    Many thanks to the setter and Gazza for the review.
    A small ‘but’ though.
    18d has served us well for many, many years.
    Sterling service.
    But could it please now take a well-earned retirement.
    Thanks.

Posted May 19, 2015 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

I’m stunned the rating, I thought it was just about read and write today.
    Very enjoyable for all that esp 21a and 3d. 6d reminds me of my eventing days, this was the bit I hated! Like bloody ballet on a horse!
    For me */****
    Thx to all

Posted May 19, 2015 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter – late signing in, but finished in record time. Had to finish before being collected for the drive to Tewkesbury for a lunch time funeral. I enjoyed the puzzle but it wasn’t too much of a challenge. Thanks Gazza for your review and hints and hope you are all having a good time in the pub !

28. neveracrossword
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I found this very easy – perhaps because I didn’t start it until after a bracing seaside walk this pm.. It makes up for the times I struggle when everyone else cruises.Thanks to setter and Gazza.

29. Ora Meringue
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this one, though did not find it quite as easy as most people seem to have done.
    Had to look at the hints for 1a, 1d and 9a.
    I particularly liked 17a.

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

30. Jay legs
    Posted May 19, 2015 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

All went well today apart from NW corner **/***, thanks to Gazza and setter :)

Posted May 19, 2015 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

What a lovely day in London. I’ve now put a few more new names to new faces – whether or not they’re the right ones – well, who knows?
    I did this crossword on the train on my way to London so no help, BRB or whatever.
    Thanks to MP and his mantra about not writing down the letters of an anagram 2d was obvious – Salisbury, wasn’t it? No – wrong on two counts – a) it’s not an anagram of the right letters and b) it’s not a county town – oh dear! That effectively screwed up 1a. MP has quite a lot to answer for.
    Once I’d sorted that out my only remaining problem was 27a which took up the rest of the train journey – got there in the end, just about.
    Lots of good fun clues here but I think my favourite was 17a, once I’d spelt the last word like ‘ashen’ rather than a bucket!
    With thanks to Mr Ron, gazza and to everyone else at the George today.
    Now back to normal life rather than the “La la Land” that has been the last week!

• Shropshirelad
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Great to put face(s) to names today – thoroughly enjoyable http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Good day out and thanks to Gazza for the parsing of ‘myrtle’ – couldn’t see the wood for the trees http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

32. Tstrummer
    Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:41 am | Permalink

I said earlier today that one should never describe a puzzle as “easy” as it a) irritates those who don’t find it so, and b) it smacks of showing off (which no one on this site ever does). But this offering from the Tuesday Mysteron was, what’s the word (certainly not “romp”; I’ve worked on newspapers too long to use that word for anything except illicit encounters)? Perhaps “painless” hits the mark. I finished on the first pass bar 27a, which took a deep breath longer. So having finished before the train was anywhere near my station, I arrived home feeling a little bereft, with no back-pager to solve. I guess I’ll have to tackle the Toughie instead.
    How splendid, by the way, to meet K-squared and many other stalwarts of BD at the George, albeit fleetingly. What a lovely bunch you all are.
    Thanks to Gazza for blogging duties and to the setter for making me feel more clever than I am

• Shropshirelad
      Posted May 20, 2015 at 12:51 am | Permalink

It was a delight to meet you today young man. I hope your recovery is swift and that I have the chance to buy you a beer (or two) in the near future.