Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment **

This is pretty straightforward and would be a good introduction for anyone starting out on cryptic crosswords. The only clue which held me up a bit was 17d where I needed all the checking letters. Do let us know what you made of it.

If you click on any of the areas showing ‘Click here!’ you’ll see the actual answer so only do that as a last resort.

Across Clues

3a Bonus for each is accepted by all (10)
PERQUISITE – a preposition meaning ‘for each’ is followed by an adverb meaning all or completely with IS (from the clue) inserted.

8a Arrived ahead of artist, producer of pictures (6)
CAMERA – a verb meaning arrived followed by the usual abbreviation for a recognised artist.

9a Delicious food in bar? I am so mistaken (8)
AMBROSIA – an anagram (mistaken) of BAR I AM SO gives us the food of the gods.

10a Following each one in spite of everything (5,3)
AFTER ALL – charade of a preposition meaning following and a word meaning each or every one.

11a Meet in battle and swear to marry? (6)
ENGAGE – double definition, both possibly risky enterprises.

12a More or less charming mineral spring (6,4)
PRETTY WELL – join together an adjective meaning charming or attractive and a mineral spring or source.

14a Patriotic song, Arne air Butlin’s broadcast (4,9)
RULE BRITANNIA – an anagram (broadcast) of ARNE AIR BUTLIN.

20a Wife with male, more attractive in retirement, in the fashionable place to be (5,3,2)
WHERE IT’S AT – string together W(ife), a male pronoun and the reversal (in retirement) of a comparative meaning more attractive or more appetising.

22a Told stories recalled about volunteers, soldiers given a special task (6)
DETAIL – reverse (recalled) a verb meaning told (untrue) stories and insert the abbreviation for the (now superseded) name of our part-time soldiers.

23a Weight of importance? No end, since eating Italian (8)
GRAVITAS – an adjective meaning of importance or profound loses its final E (no end) and is followed by a conjunction meaning since or because. Finally insert (eating) the abbreviation for Italian vermouth.

24a Where’s the penthouse suite of the highest office? (3-5)
TOP-LEVEL – this describes the most senior people in an organisation or government. Literally, with a space rather than hyphen, it could be the position in a building of the penthouse suite.

25a Musical composition person at auditorium includes (6)
SONATA – hidden (includes) in the clue.

26a This may help protect castle in game following stalemate (10)
DRAWBRIDGE – a card game follows a stalemate.

Down Clues

1d Consider more passable, say, for traveller (8)
WAYFARER – we need two homophones (say) here – first what sounds like a verb to consider or assess the importance of and, second, a homophone of a comparative meaning more passable or more satisfactory.

2d Pals teed off in base (8)
PEDESTAL – an anagram (off) of PALS TEED.

3d Father’s breaking fast in pope’s office (6)
PAPACY – an affectionate term for father goes inside (breaking) an adjective meaning fast or speedy.

4d Genuine  old coin, Spanish (4)
REAL – this just seems to be a double definition, though I can’t see why the clue has ‘old coin, Spanish’ rather than ‘old Spanish coin’.

5d What may have been held up if ‘Rain stopped play’? (8)
UMBRELLA – a pretty weak cryptic definition.

6d Cast off, beginning to sail on Irish lake (6)
SLOUGH – the first letter of sail precedes (on, in a down clue) the Irish equivalent of loch.

7d Article close to my doodah (6)
THINGY – an article or object followed by the closing letter of (m)Y.

13d Best English, low in calories (5)
ELITE – E(nglish) and advertiser-speak for low in calories.

15d Astound boyfriend, said partner in affair (4,4)
BOWL OVER – start with a sound-alike (said) of an old-fashioned word for a boyfriend or male admirer, then add a sexual partner.

16d In tune, possibly, about right time to give a nourishing substance (8)
NUTRIENT – make an anagram (possibly) of IN TUNE containing R(ight). Finally, add T(ime).

17d Olympic Games host accommodating a fast runner (8)
ATALANTA – the name of the US city which hosted the Summer Olympics in 1996 contains A to make the name of a fleet-footed huntress in Greek mythology.

18d In US wedding centre, Irish artist (6)
RENOIR – ‘In’ here is not an insertion indicator. We can rearrange the clue a bit to read ‘Artist (can be found) in US wedding centre, Irish’. So we need a charade of the name of the city in Nevada where it’s quick, easy and cheap to get married and the abbreviation for Irish.

19d Everything eaten by female elephant is green (6)
CALLOW – a word for everything is contained inside (eaten by) a female elephant.

21d Go by the Spanish church recess (6)
ELAPSE – a Spanish definite article followed by a semicircular recess in a church.

23d Good boy, eager (4)
GLAD – G(ood) is followed by a young boy to make an adjective that can mean eager, as in “I’d be **** to help”.

The clue I liked best was 15d. Which one(s) did it for you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: CANNER + PEAS = CANOPIES

1. Young Salopian
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Another easily solvable puzzle today, no alarms or anything too tricky or oblique. Definately a 1/2, and just as well as I only had a short time to complete it before driving down to London.

2. dutch
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Well, this flowed like a warm summer breeze after the rookie puzzle. Good for the self esteem.

Keep learning so much – I wasn’t familiar with 3a (bonus) or 17d (fast runner) – now they are entrenched in my mind ready for the next crossword that requests them. I never realised until now: – 3a must be where “perk” comes from, duh.

Favourite had to be 7d (doodah)

many thanks setter and Gazza, especially for explaining the IN in 18d which had me puzzled.

3. George
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I wouldn’t class this puzzle as the easiest one of late, but it is mostly straightforward. I wondered if the setter had a bit of desperation in getting a word to fit for 17d as this is a bit out of the regular GK I would have thought.

Was not impressed with 7d either which I though was also very weak.

14a was a great starting place as it was an obvious anagram and set up so many cross check letters.

I finished this one in 2* time with 3* for enjoyment.

4. Angel
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:14 am | Permalink

South went in sweetly but North presented a more challenging run. Joint favs12a and 20a. Not keen on 7d – twinge might have used crossing letters more smoothly. Thanks Mr. Ron and Gazza. **/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Angel
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Checking letters even in cruciverbalese! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

• Jane
        Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Hi Angel – just to let you know that I was glad of your tip re: clothing and to say how much I enjoyed my visit to your home county. I wonder whereabouts you are – my outings were mostly centred around Chichester, Petworth and the various local nature Reserves. Sumners Pond was an amazing lunch spot!

• Angel
          Posted May 5, 2015 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

So glad you enjoyed your visit to my neck of the woods. At Sumners Pond you were about 5 miles from my village near Horsham. I moved here from East Anglia a couple of years ago so am still exploring although I knew the area well in ‘days of yore’. I had similar thoughts to yours in No. 11 below. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif for Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

• Jane
            Posted May 5, 2015 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Well – I must have been quite close then, I was staying in Barns Green – only a short distance from Horsham. By the way, if you haven’t already been, the production of Way Upstream at the Festival Theatre is well worth seeing. Quite amazing stage setting.

5. Kitty
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Straightforward except that I can ditto Dutch’s comments re 3a and 17d. 7d raised a little smile.

Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

6. Clarky
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Unlike Anget, I found the Nprth straightforward with more trouble in the South. Didn’t quite believe 7d was correct but there it is.
    No outstanding answers but 20a and 16d were most satisfying, probably.
    Thanks to setter and Gazza.

Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:39 am | Permalink

1.5*/2.5*. After yesterday’s considerable exertions with the Rookie puzzle it took me a while to switch back to “normal” cryptic mode today, but when I had it all flowed nicely except for 17d. At least I knew the Olympic venue and a quick Google check confirmed the answer.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

8. JonP
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Straightforward solve today – held up briefly by 3ac. Thanks to Gazza and setter */***

9. Spook
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

To stormy for sailing so sat down with large coffee watching the weather, nice puzzle good for sharpening the wits. No real problems except for 19d couldn’t remember female elephant, after that pretty straightforward.favourite 1d.
    Many thanks to Gazza for blog and to setter. I expect tomorrow’s will be tougher.

10. Jane
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

A little bit of effort required to fully parse 3&23a plus 18d but nothing too difficult in this one. No particular favourite although 7&15d raised a smile. 1*/2*.
    Thanks to Mr. Ron and to Gazza for his usual high standard of review. Nice rendition of Rule Britannia!

• Sweet William
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Jane. Mentioning 14a, I wondered if you have been to the reserve noted in the clue. By coincidence it holds all the species which you referred to yesterday. The problem again is that it is bit of a hike for us Northerners ! Well worth a visit if you happen to be in that area.

• Jane
        Posted May 5, 2015 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Hi SW, I haven’t been but will put it on the ever-growing list!

Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Agree with you all about the lack of difficulty. But still very enjoyable.
    19d made me laugh and shall be my favourite.
    Welcome to Baby Charlotte Elizabeth Diana. Bell ringing at Westminster made me think about this weekend guardian prize crossword. Great timing.
    Thanks to Gazza and to Mr Ron.

• Jane
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Think they must have worked extremely hard to get all the ‘right’ names in a ‘correct’ order and still manage to finish up with a delightful ‘handle’ for their new daughter. Well done to the Cambridge clan – they haven’t put a foot wrong thus far.
      I’d like to bet she gets to be called Charlie at home!

• Tstrummer
        Posted May 6, 2015 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Well, I was disappointed. Having started the Rainbow theme with George, I’d bet that they’d choose Zippy – or Bungle if it was a boy. That’s a fiver I’ll never see again

• hilary
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Just a quick note to say I love your avatar.

12. omar
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward for me apart from 17d – not a Goddess I had heard of, I’m afraid…..I also thought 23a was poorly clued – I found the answer, but I cannot see how weight = grave – shouldn’t it be weighty, at least?

13. omar
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Correction – what I shoudl have said was can’t see how importance = grave….souldn’t it be either important or gravity??

Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Grave = ‘of importance’, i.e. a matter of importance / a grave matter.

14. Wahoo
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

* for difficulty and ** + for enjoyment. The “+” is because however straightforward a puzzle may seem it is still a great art being able to compile one! Thank you setter.

17d also the last one in for me last night. It had to be that but I needed to look up the goddess. She sounds a bit if a tease really – “You can have me if you can catch me!!”. Fair enough I suppose.

15. fran
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Nice and relaxing , last in 18d no idea about reno but love the artist **/**** 23a not sure about the clueing but ‘ not important ‘ in the scheme of thingys.

16. Hanni
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

*/** sounds about right.

Biggest hold ups were checking 17d and briefly giving thought to making an anagram of ‘Vegas + (I)rish’, for 18d.

Also liked 15d.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for blogging.

The Don is in a benevolent mood over in Toughie land.

17. SheilaP
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Another lovely puzzle just as good as yesterdays. I liked 7d and I think the answer fits very well. I don’t mind a bit of Greek mythology either. Thank you to the Tuesday setter and to Gazza.

Posted May 5, 2015 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I agree with 1* difficulty but 3* for enjoyment because several of these made me smile which isn’t easy to do today.
    I could just say I agree with everything that dutch said – right down to Mr Rookie.
    I knew the 3a word but had never twigged that that must be where ‘perk’ comes from.
    Trying to work out why my 23a was right took a while and I never did get 17d which was stupid.
    I thought I might be missing some sporting term that I didn’t know in 5d but maybe not.
    I liked 12 and 20a and 1 and 19d, and a few others too. My favourite was 7d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to gazza.
    Terribly windy here – all tall stuff in the garden is being flattened – very grumpy. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    Just wondering if I feel up to looking at review of yesterday’s Mr Rooke. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

19. Jay legs
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Another quite easy puzzle, as we have come to expect early in the week ;) */*** 7d & 17d were a little tortuous ;( Thanks to Gazza and Mr Ron

20. Liz
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Yes, another enjoyable puzzle which was not too difficult. Again with no need of the hints……things must be looking up…..time was when I needed to use the hints for about 50% of the clues, so must be getting better, thanks to using this site. I give this one */***. Bottom LH (sorry ,SW) was last in. I liked 1d and 9a.i had a bit of trouble with 20a, but that soon fell into place. Very windy here in N Norfolk, somI won’t be going for a walk on the beach today!

Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I missed out on 3A. Just couldn’t see it. Otherwise very straightforward. I did know 17D from my schooldays. I’ve never heard of Reno being a wedding centre. Quite the opposite, in fact. It used to known as the divorce capital of the world for minimal residency requirements and cheap ‘quickie’ divorces.

Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

This is what I found out about getting married in Reno.

Getting married in Reno, Nevada, may not have all the tacky glitz and glamor that go along with getting hitched in Las Vegas. However, quick, easy weddings are still possible under state law. There are no blood tests, and no waiting periods, and extended hours to make marriage certificates official. Reno also has a healthy selection of flower-bedecked chapels if you’re looking for some kitsch along with your hitch.

One of the few requirements, apparently, is that both parties must be present and awake. :D

Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Rather a doddle, so 1*/3*. 7d made me smile as well, but l think 20a is my favourite. Thanks to Mr Ron, and of course to Gazza.

23. OlgaTheOwl
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

All was sunshine and light apart from 17d – I got it into my head that ‘wedding centre’ would be d – or should that be d’oh?

Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Olga. I love your alias.

• Miffypops
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hello from me too. How many syllables are there in your Owl?

Posted May 5, 2015 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, the only difficulty was in 3a, which was a new word for me. Thanks to Dutch for pointing out the perk connection. Some really good clues. Favourite was 14a. Was 1*/3* for me.

25. hilary
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Crept out of cupboard to be pleasantly surprised by this delightful offering. Cancel tissue order have cracked prize puzzle http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif. Thanks to Gazza and Mr R for cheering me up. Torrential rain in night but cleared long enough to get us to shops and back in the dry. Several smiles but no particular favourite, loved the illustration for 9a.

• Derek
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Hilary – we shall have to call you Ms. Hubbard from now on! Or even Mr. H!

26. silvanus
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Very similar in standard to yesterday and equally good fun.

Unusually I hadn’t encountered 3a before, and 17d to me is an Italian football team rather than a character from mythology (from where the club derives its name apparently), but otherwise nothing to cause too many alarms and a pleasant distraction from the unseasonal gales trying to do their worst outside.

A clever idea to include the composer of 14a within the anagram fodder I thought, and my personal favourite is 26a – nicely clued with the chess allusion.

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

27. Derek
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Another pretty straightforward solve today.
    Favourite was 20a.

Lived and studied for many years in Bonnie Scotland where I learnt a lot of Gaelic so no despondency with 6d!

28. Paso Doble
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

A little too easy but we always find these type of puzzles great fun. We agree with Gazza’s * for difficulty but we have to go for *** for enjoyment. However, Ambrosia creamed rice was something that most of our generation had to put up with and found it far from delicious.

• Tstrummer
      Posted May 6, 2015 at 1:16 am | Permalink

My mother hated it that I preferred Ambrosia to her home-made rice pudding. Still love it, with a dollop of raspberry jam. The one comestible that you can buy from a corner shop that provides bliss in a tin, unlike, say, spam

Posted May 5, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable Tuesday puzzle thank you setter with no problems. Thanks Gazza for your review and hints – I agree, not too taxing, but good fun. Very windy on the Suffolk coast, fortunately no rain.

Posted May 5, 2015 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

No problem except for 17d which totally defeated me even with the hint. Not a word I remember coming across before.
    Thx to all

31. mebebob
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

The refs to 3a took me back to my time as a printer when a bit of homework was deemed to be ‘a legitimate perquisite as sanctioned by time honoured practice’, or at least that was how we justified what was probably not strictly legal.

• Jane
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Have to confess that my first encounters with 3a left me thinking that the writer had made a bad job of spelling prerequisite. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted May 5, 2015 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

I seem to have had the same experience as many others, very enjoyable but stumped by 17d even with the checkers.My favourite was 1d.
    I solved it while driving home from visiting my mother who is having a short stay in a retirement home. Everybody working there seemed very nice but I noticed the magazines I bought her yesterday have disappeared.
    Pink drifts of cherry-blossom everywhere.

33. Framboise
    Posted May 5, 2015 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

Only 23a necessitated a bit of reflexion… On the other hand 17a was pretty straightforward perhaps because of memories from Greek studies when I was a lycéenne… Easy but nevertheless enjoyable. Lots of clever clues but my vote will go to 20a. Many thanks to Gazza and to Mr Ron.
    Just realized that I got 6d wrong a – sponge instead of slough – no wonder that at the time I could not reconcile this with the clue, how silly of me!

34. Tstrummer
    Posted May 6, 2015 at 1:27 am | Permalink

Another on on the straightforward side of straightforward, but some fun clues along the way. If I had to choose a favourite, it would probably be 1d, but I also liked 20a, which I got and then had to work out why, which is when the smile came.

If you think it’s windy around where you are, try visiting the “London Bridge Quarter” around the Shard – it’s worse than Chicago.

All this talk of Ambrosia makes me wish I had a tin in the cupboard and some raspberry jam. I have neither, so am making do with a large glass of Famous Grouse. It’s not quite the same, but it will do – and if it doesn’t, I’ll have another.

Many thanks to setter and, of course, to Gazza for another precision review