DT 27791 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27791 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Saturday Crossword Club

Some hints follow.

1a    Waif in magazine going backwards in funfair roundabout (10)
The reversal (going backwards) of MAG(azine) inside an anagram (roundabout) of FUNFAIR

9a    Best way to go? A1 (5-5)
Two definitions – the best way to travel and A1 or excellent

10a    Bachelor’s second fish (4)
The abbreviation for Bachelor of Arts followed by the S from ‘S and S(econd)

13a    Industrial heater for citrus fruit needing link to cook (8)
A citrus fruit followed by an anagram (to cook) of LINK

18a    Feeling depressed without whisky or rum (3,2,7)
this could mean that there are no more drinks like whisky or rum

21a    Cushy job at home having safe environment (8)
The usual two-letter word meaning at home inside (having … environment) an adjective meaning safe or protected

25a    Diana, the Parisian teetotaller, not in favour of those who dabble (10)
A charade of DI(ana), the French (Parisian) definite article, T(ee)T(otaller) and a word meaning not in favour of

27a    Bury’s runner, one entering uninvited (10)
A verb meaning to bury followed by a runner

1d    Fellow coming in to recycle rubbish (6)
F(ellow) inside (coming in) a verb meaning to recycle

2d    Excessively bright embellishment, not new (6)
An embellishment or decoration without (not) N(ew)

3d    Prosaic in reality (6-2-4)
Without the hyphens this is a reality or truth

5d    Balls delivered by popular footballer acquired by Saints (10)
One for the cricket lovers – these deliveries bowled so as to swerve to leg are derived from a two-letter word meaning popular and then a footballer who usually plays on the left or right of the others inside a two of the single-letter abbreviation for S(aint)

7d    Pretty bird making ‘Ring of Fire’? (8)

11d    Concerned with company’s divisions, go mad (12)
A verb meaning to go or leave followed by an adjective meaning mad

16d    Deliberate swindle, meeting partisan? (8)
A three-letter swindle followed by a partisan or biased person

17d    Hard time for one entering theatre (5,3)
ONE inside (entering) a word for the theatre

23d    Garden party with lot to be announced (4)
Sounds like (to be announced) lot or destiny

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick Crossword pun: reckon+Scilly+Asian=reconciliation

1. JonP
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Very straightforward solve which was fine by me today due to time constraints this AM. Thanks to BD and setter */***

2. Colmce
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 10:53 am | Permalink

Interesting, 23d, clue and I hope, answer, different on iPad version of puzzle.

Thanks for the hints on what was an enjoyable puzzle.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:18 am | Permalink

23d Paper clue and solution as per BD’s hint which he will have taken from Telegraph Puzzles version.

3. George
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:05 am | Permalink

An easy solve this week. Done well within 1* time. 4* for enjoyment.

Thanks to setter and all!

4. Kitty
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Lemons squeezed, ready perhaps to be added later to something stiffer than this crossword… but 18a, so a shopping trip needed first. A pleasant diversion which left time for the MPP, which is well worth a look at this month.

With thanks to the setter and BD. Happy Caturday all http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif.

5. Angel
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:14 am | Permalink

This was another pleasant Saturday morning walk in the park. Thank you Mr. Ron and, as ever, BD. 22a is new on this verging-on Luddite. 25a was fun to unravel. */****. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

6. Ora Meringue
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Hurrah! Solved without electronic help or hints…but needed hints for unravelling.
    Another red letter day for the Meringue household.
    Thanks to the setter and many thanks to Big Dave….this blog has got me from hardly getting any clues on my own to an occasional day like today when I can manage a complete solve.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Kitty
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Very well done indeed, Ora. And to anybody else who has risen to the point where they can complete solo … you know who you are, http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif.

• Tantalus
        Posted May 2, 2015 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I fear Mrs T may aspire to going solo. If you spot my obit in the globe, it was thr yew berries.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Well done from me too – BD likes comments like yours. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• hilary
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I know how you feel, when I first arrived I had almost given up because I despaired of ever finishing a crossword and, more important, understanding what I had written in. I still need some help but the encouragement I have received has made me soldier on. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Mr Kitty
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

It’s a wonderful feeling, isn’t it, Ora? Today, for the first time ever, answers slotted into place and I was actually able to parse them all (although I did have to ponder 19d for a while).

That happy state of affairs is due almost entirely to reading and learning from this site – so many, many thanks to BD and to all of the bloggers. And of course thanks to today’s setter.

• Ora Meringue
        Posted May 2, 2015 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you all for your kind words and your encouragement.
        I am so pleased to have found this site.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable indeed.
    Even the cricket clue wasn’t too scary to parse.
    Surprised BD didn’t mention anything about 22a. So appropriate.
    Thanks to the Saturday setter and to BD for the blog.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Forgot to wish good luck to Toulon at Twickenham this evening. The H cup for a third year running would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

8. Caravaggio
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I think that Crypticsue will agree with me when I say that I knew that it was going to be a good Saturday when I found that the grid was on the back page of the paper. And it came to pass…

Posted May 2, 2015 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Posted May 2, 2015 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Not quite as plain sailing for me as others but not very tricky either – very enjoyable.
    I haven’t heard of a 13a but it wasn’t too difficult to work out, missed 22a as per usual and the less said about 5d the better but I did manage to ‘invent’ it and look it up.
    As soon as I got 7d I guessed what the piccy would be – wrong – no Paul Jones! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif
    I liked 15 and 26a and 4 and 7d – my favourite is one of those but I haven’t decided which one . . .
    With thanks to Mr Ron and to BD, especially if he adds another video for 7d!
    Need to cut grass – NTSPP and maybe a quick peek at MPP later on.

• George
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

I have never understood why 5d is used to refer to the ball and not the delivery or shot. I doubt the ball changes throughout the whole event. It is more the ability of the player to put spin on the ball and thus has more to do with the player than the ball.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Far too clever for me – getting the answer was a miracle!

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted May 2, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

George, I can’t be too explicit as it’s Saturday, and I haven’t got time to go to the naughty corner, but I’ll try to explain as best as I can.

The ball does change direction as a result of the bowler’s skill but also a difference in the level of shine on both sides of the ball. The shine is applied by rubbing the ball vigorously on a player’s trousers, and nowadays in professional cricket it has become the norm for a side to appoint one of their team as the official polisher!

By the way, this particular change of direction is in the air. It’s not “spin”, which is movement off the pitch.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Don’t tell me you didn’t understand all that? It was so deliciously convoluted.

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Just to confuse you even more, Kath, one of the greatest ever exponents of 5ds is English and is delivering them in the West Indies as we speak with figures of 3 overs, 3 maidens, 0 runs, 2 wickets.

That is excellent – as long as you are English!

• George
          Posted May 2, 2015 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Sure – but that doesn’t make any difference to my point. Why is a delivery confused with the word ‘ball’. You hear this in football as well – people say when the player has kicked the ball – ‘nice ball’ – well wasn’t it a nice ball before he kicked it? What they should say surely is nice pass, or nice kick – it would seem to me to have nothing to do with the ball.

10. williamus
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Nice gentle one today for which I’m grateful. Mrs W back this afternoon from a week with her parents… pile of washing up to do and a quick wizz round with the hoover required :-)

Didn’t need to come today so it must be 1*/3***
    Not absolutely convinced with the wordplay for 15a. Liked 1a but 25a my favourite.

Thanks to the setter and to BD for the bog.

11. Young Salopian
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

It’s good to see some comments from those who are not needing the blog today. The puzzle was a definite 1/3, but you’ve still to complete it. I did get stuck on 22a for a while. It reminds us all where we started, and how daunting an empty grid can look until you get a start.

12. Paso Doble
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyable puzzle today. We just got a bit stuck on 3d and needed a bit of help to sort it out. Once we’d got that we could bung a word in for 21a but had to check it meant what we thought it did. **/**** Thanks to BD and the setter and a good Bank Holiday Weekend to everyone.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

This proves Kath’s point made recently that it doesn’t have to be difficult to be enjoyable (although I can think of one blogger who would undoubtedly prefer it hard, but I digress. :wink:)

This was a straightforward solve but great fun. My rating is 1*/4*. I thought 13a was normally two words but my BRB gives the enumeration as (8), and I thoughtlessly wrote in the singular answer for 25a at first which caused a bit of temporary head scratching for 20d. My favourite is a dead heat between 1a & 25a.

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and to BD.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I meant to expand on my thanks to BD for the video clip for 7d. It was one of the first songs I learned to strum along with in the 60s and I love Paul Jones’ voice, which is every bit as good today as it was then. In fact my first date with Mrs. RD in 2002 was to see him in The Blues Band at the Fairfield Halls in Croydon.

P.S. What a shame the track only lasts 2 minutes 36 seconds (very much the norm back then for singles) which cut the video off just at it was getting very interesting.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

I remember when the Fairfield Halls was a hole in the ground. I used to have to change buses in Croydon to and from grammar school .

• Liz
          Posted May 3, 2015 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Remember Wilsons, the coffee and cake shop in (I think) George Street? My Mum used to take me there if I was good! Used to go shopping in Alders and Surrey street market. Which school wa it?

Posted May 3, 2015 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

I do indeed remember the cake shop. Purley County Grammar in Old Coulsdon.

• Liz
              Posted May 3, 2015 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Oh right. I had a friend who went there called Jennifer Day, we lived in Kenley and went to the same primary school. I went to Whyteleafe grammar, small world…..it’s amazing who you meet on blogs!!

Posted May 2, 2015 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

It’s not just Paul Jones’s voice that I like! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted May 2, 2015 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I’ll settle for just the voice.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

That’s because you’re not a ‘girl’! He’s wonderful – and, if you’ll pardon the expression because you’re a Rabbit, he really makes me go a bit ‘flopsy bunny’!

Posted May 2, 2015 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

No problems at all for us. Nice straightforward but very enjoyable crossword. Only query is I don’t see where the expert comes in for 19a although the answer seems obvious. Mrs B said she has learned a new word today in 21a.
    My rating was */****
    Thx to all.

• jean-luc cheval
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Hi Brian,
      It seems that the two letter word is in itself a synonym of expert.

15. Catnap
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

**/**** for me. I enjoyed this and found it entertaining. I especially liked 13a, 25a, 4d, 7d and 16d, and several others as well! Many thanks to the setter.

I also enjoyed the hints although I did not need them Many thanks and appreciation to Big Dave.

16. mebebob
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Let me endorse the compliments re the helpfulness of the blog in developing our progression. I came across it when googling for help for an answer beyond my comprehension. I guess there are a lot more triers who would love to be aware of its existence but short of placing an ad alongside the grid I don’t how!!

Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable start to the day. Thanks to setter and to BD for review, but hints not needed today.

18. RobF
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable and relatively simple solve, although the SE corner held me up a bit at the end. Thanks to setter and to BD – hints not needed but I always enjoy checking them, especially for entertaining pictures and videos. 11d probably my fave as made me laugh out loudest.

19. Sarah
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

Brilliant”Brilliant! Brilliant! I love it when the clues parse without a wasted word. really enjoyed not having to look at the hints to see why my answer might be right. lovely crossword, lovely day, lovely world! Thanks to the setter and BD. I have really enjoyed everyone’s comments todayhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A very enjoyable but quite straightforward puzzle. No major problems. Was 1*/3* for me. Favourite was 11d, last in was 13a.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter – good fun and no problems with this Saturday puzzle. Thanks BD for the hints. Lovely day at Dunwich Heath.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Very gentle, but nevertheless enjoyable: 1*/3.5*. 17d was my favourite. Thanks to the setter, and to BD for making it all possible. Like one of my fellow contributors, l owe most, if not all, of whatever puzzle-solving ability l possess to this site.

23. Duggyson
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Can anyone help me with 25a.
    My dictionary seems to spell the answer in a way that makes the last letter not fit with 20d?
    Thanks

• pommers
      Posted May 2, 2015 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Read the clue very carefully.

Posted May 2, 2015 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

Just to add to what pommers has said – you need the plural – sorry pommers. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• pommers
        Posted May 2, 2015 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Thought it might be the naughty corner if I said that.

• e rutherford
      Posted May 5, 2015 at 9:43 am | Permalink

it is an italian word (plural)

• Posted May 5, 2015 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog e rutherford

24. Gwizz
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

This was like a traditional Saturday crossword; just that little bit gentler than the rest of the preceding week’s puzzles.
    No real favourite although maybe 25a comes close.
    1*/3* overall.
    Thanks to the setter and BD for the hints.

25. Little Dave
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I thought this was very straight-forward with little to tax. No real stand-out clues but pleasing to finish despite being short-lived. England going well in Barbados. Thank you for the review. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

26. Little Dave
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Spoke too soon re 3rd test.

27. hilary
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Wonky eyesight led me to misread 1a so could not work out why my answer was correct, but apart from that I strolled gently through and finished with a sense of achievement at the end of a week where several days had been hard work. Thanks to setter and BD off to finish GK then back to fascinating book about a naive artist called John CRASKE (sorry about caps but auto spell causing problems) who turned to embroidery when his bad health made him bed bound.

28. Tstrummer
    Posted May 2, 2015 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Finally got tinternet on the boat so am able to get on the site. Enjoyed this gentle offering from the mysteron, solved to the accompaniment of 3 snoring spaniels. 11d was my favourite. Thanks to setter and BD (and apologies to DT for not thanking him yesterday).
    PS Good production of Desth of a Salesman at Stratford this afternoon – Harriet Walter is outstanding

Posted May 2, 2015 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable , although I resorted to the usual suspects for the cricket clue even though I should have got it from the hint.
    25a was my favourite , and I appreciated 17d.
    Thanks Big Dave and setter.

30. Jeremy
    Posted May 3, 2015 at 9:04 am | Permalink

This was an easy puzzle, but I couldn’t work out how my answer to 23D was constructed so thought I’d check here. However, as flagged by colmce, the iPad version of 23D is a different clue “just yours truly again”. Not sure what to input for entry. I have an answer that fits, get the first two letters (standard abbreviation for yours truly), but can’t work out the back end of the clue. Any thoughts? Maybe just submit based on the (easy) paper version clue’s answer …. Thanks

Posted May 3, 2015 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog, Jeremy.
      We’re used to having slightly different clues in the paper and online, but having a different answer is something else. I think that for your clue the definition (just) means ‘no more than’ and it’s ‘yours truly’ (2) plus a prefix meaning again (2).

• Jeremy
        Posted May 3, 2015 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Thanks gazza. Makes sense now, maybe I was looking for a stronger clue. I’ll go for the online solution when submitting

31. oldienewbie
    Posted May 3, 2015 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

I only started on cryptics this year, and even I finished the printed one without help!! Just took a little time deconstructing 2D because I got hung up on “not new” being ** – silly me.
    (Not deconstructed 23D online version yet – though it seems there can be only one answer if we start with the two-letter version of “yours truly”. Back to my usual level of incompetence, I suppose – albeit the clue order seems wrong for the two-letter version of “your’s truly”. I also tried two others: starting with a three-letter word meaning “****”, and using two versions of yours truly – fixed order would almost work if the setter’s name was ***, **** or ****)

• Posted May 3, 2015 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog oldienewbie

If you want to discuss the clues, with right or wrong answers, please wait for the full review next Friday. The request is there in bold red characters.