Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from the heart of Downtown L.I. Although it is overcast the sun is still shining merrily away. Rufus shines today as well. He is in playful mood but very fair as usual.

1a    It’s possible a belief’s being shaken (8)
FEASIBLE: Todays first clue contains an anagram of A BELIEF’S. However both the words preceding (It’s possible) and the words following (being shaken) can be used as anagram indicators. So wily old Rufus sets a puzzle within a puzzle to decide which is the indicator and which is the definition. Once the anagram is solved it is obvious

6a    People take pains to please him (6)
SADIST: Ooh er missus. A noun which describes a person who enjoys inflicting pain on others

9a    Minister is to eat about six (6)
DIVINE: Take a verb meaning to eat and place it around (about) the roman numerals for the number six to find another verb meaning to attend to the needs of others.

10a    Labour candidate? He’s admitting dirty money taken in return (8)
HERCULES: We are given HE’S from the clue. We then need to find a word for dirty money (usually preceded by the word filthy) reverse it (taken in return) and drop it (admitting) into HE’S. Altogether we are looking for the son of Zeus who was famed for his twelve labours

11a    I’m sent back with money for betting slips (8)
MISTAKES: A simple reversal of I’M (sent back) followed by the plural noun for the amounts wagered or gambled on the outcome of a risky game or venture. This noun is often used by the horse racing fraternity.

12a    Parking in Indian city — or Greek one (6)
DELPHI: Place the P from P(arking) inside one of Indias larger cities to find a Greek city.

13a    Transport of delight? (8,4)
PLEASURE BOAT: This transport of delight floats upon the water and might offer trips around the bay

16a    Masqueraded as dressing up predominates (12)
IMPERSONATED: Anagram (dressed up) of PREDOMINATES

19a    Maximum effort at the end of the innings (3,3)
ALL OUT: Using all of one’s strength or resources will provide a term which is also used to describe a cricket team after the last wicket is taken

21a    Got out of bed? (8)
UPROOTED: This bed can be found in the garden growing vegetables. The answer is a verb which means to have pulled a plant out of the ground

23a    One shows the way in business (8)
DIRECTOR: One who sits upon the board of a company

24a    He cometh in theatre or cinema production (6)
ICEMAN: An anagram (production) of CINEMA will give the name of what cometh in the title of a Eugene O’Neil play/film

25a    Not off to visit, but ready to make one (2,4)
ON CALL: Take the opposite of on and a word for visit. Together they define a state of being where one could be asked to go to work at very short notice like a retained firefighter for example.

26a    Not for heavy drinkers? (5,3)
LIGHT ALE: Take a word meaning not heavy and follow it with a word for beer to solve this nippy little all in one clue

2d    Panacea for rising team in trouble (6)
ELIXIR: The team here is an eleven expressed in Roman Numerals. This eleven needs to be dropped into (in) a verb meaning to trouble or annoy someone and the whole lot inverted (rising)

3d    Change  dress (5)
SHIFT: A double definition. To change or alter position and an old fashioned word for a dress or nightgown

4d    Low joints for workers? That’s ideal! (4,5)
BEES KNEES: Leg joints and one of the two the usual suspects for workers will lead to this term describing the cream of the crop also known as “The Dogs Doo Das”

5d    Stray sheep seen by us in biblical city (7)
EPHESUS: An anagram (stray) of SHEEP followed by the word US from the clue will give us this biblical city from Ancient Greece

6d    There’s a scrap when a communist is told to be quiet (5)
SHRED: Take a two letter word (oh yes it is a word) used when we want someone to be quiet. Add a three letter usual suspect for a communist to find another word describing a small piece or amount of something.

7d    Basic support for sleeping partners? (6,3)
DOUBLE BED: I do hope these sleeping partners are married if they are together in this item of furniture

8d    To visit a capital is 9 Across (3,5)
SEE AHEAD: To visit a capital is better split 3,1,4. Split 3,5 it will fit as a definition for 9 across as a verb meaning to have supernatural or magical insight into future events

13d    Wonders when phone exchanges changed name (9)
PHENOMENA: These wonders can be find by solving the two anagrams in this clue. (exchanges) PHONE and (changed) NAME. How very clever is that?

14d    Phone about disruption of trade causing delay (9)
RETARDING: We seem to have a few anagram insertion clues here today. We need our usual word for to phone with an anagram (disruption) of TRADE inserted

15d    One slum I refurbished — with this? (8)
EMULSION: A very good all in one clue. Find the answer by solving an anagram (refurbished) of ONE SLUM I

17d    No gear, so refusing to fight? (7)
NEUTRAL: A double definition. The first being the term used in motoring when your car is in no gear at all.

18d    Happen to exist before autumn comes (6)
BEFALL: Take a two letter term meaning to exist and add the old English term for autumn now used more by Americans to find a verb meaning happen. The term for autumn was widely used in England and taken to America by the early settlers where it stuck. We hit on autumn and it too stuck. So my eldest daughter told me.

20d    Sum for child, a beginner (5)
TOTAL: Take a three letter word for a small child and add A from the clue and our usual letter which represents a beginner or L(earner)

22d    It’s obvious minister has been brought up in Old Testament (5)
OVERT: Reverse (brought up)an abbreviation of a term for minister and place it inside abbreviation for Old Testament

No music today. A line from the film Boyhood which we watched last night has struck a chord. “Arrivals and Departures lie side by side”. A really nice film.

Have a good bank holiday everybody.

Miffypops.

The Quick Crossword pun: Lassie+chewed=lassitude

Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I agree with MP’s rating of 2*/3* for this amusing and very enjoyable diversion on a wet Bank Holiday Monday. Too many goodies to select one favourite.

Many thanks to Rufus and to MP.

2. Graham Wall
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

The usual good offering for Monday. Not too difficult but very enjoyable. I would rate this as 1.5/3 My favourite. Has to be 11A Thanks to Miffypops for his review.

3. Angel
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Pleasant way to enliven a dreary, wet day so many thanks Rufus and MP for being there in case of need. I nearly had to call on you to finish N.E. corner but pennies suddenly dropped. Much fun however fav was probably 4d – wherever did you find the hint illustration MP? ***/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

4. Kitty
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Peace at last! I was in no hurry with today’s Rufus, taking my time to savour the fun and be soothed by the master. Lots of great clues: I won’t make the others sad by choosing a favourite ;).

Difficulty: mild; just enough
    Enjoyment: bucket loads

Thanks and smiles to Rufus and Miffypops. What a pic for 4d! Not to mention 6a…

P.S. Todays’ quickie pun made me grin. It’s one for Kath :).

• Carrie
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Hi Kitty,

Can you put me out of my misery and explain the following, I think it has something to do with a type of pie but I just cannot get it, putting the functions together is not making sense so I’m obviously going wrong

√(-1) 2³ ∑ π

• Kitty
        Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Hey Carrie :). No probs!

√(-1) is the imaginary unit in maths, denoted by i
        2³ = 8
        ∑ – the Greek letter sigma is used in maths to mean sum
        π is the Greek letter pi

… om nom nom nom!

Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I wondered about that and spent waaaaay too much time trying to work it out.

• Kitty
            Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

You only had to ask, Merusa! :)

• Carrie
          Posted August 25, 2014 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kitty, so clever :)

I had sum and pie then I had cube and root which was way off

I think I’ll amaze my work colleagues with that tomorrow, I’d claim it for my own but they’d never believe me

5. Miffypops
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Re 6ac I had an alternative picture but it was far to dark and sinister for the gentle folk on this blog. The piccies can be a pain to find or a complete joy.

• spindrift
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

‘…a pain or a joy’ – make your mind up! S or M?

Posted August 25, 2014 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I always remember the old Dave Allen joke:
        ‘Whip me!’ begged the masochist.
        ‘No’ replied the sadist.

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love Dave Allen – for anyone else who does he’s on BBC2 tonight at 10.00pm. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif That’ll cheer me up.

• Kitty
        Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Surely that would then be a pain and a joy? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Seems everybody’s having a spanking good time with the crossword today ;).

6. Mr Matt
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Sorry but 5d More of a Turkish delight?

• Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Mr Matt

I’ve amended the hint to say “Ancient Greece”, which is where it was in biblical times.

• Miffypops
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

You win the prize for spotting this weeks mistake of the day Mr Matt. Hello from me too.

7. Amanda
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Needed your help for the NE corner, notably 8d. Otherwise I seemed to be on the right wavelength this morning.
    Thanks to Miffypops and setter.

Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Heavy rain here in East Kent, and Rufus didn’t take long – my favourite today is 10a.

Thanks to Rufus and Miffy.

9. the cospicuan
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Quite a relief after Saturday’s Prize Crossword, thought my mental faculties were waning hugely, but managed to finish this in record time

• Posted August 25, 2014 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog the cospicuan

• Miffypops
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Hello from me too. I have no idea how long this took as I kept falling back to sleep whilst doing it. Mmm. Sundays and beer.

Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Oh no – not again!

• Kitty
        Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Something tells me that Mondays are perhaps not the optimum day of the week for MP to review :).

Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Posted August 25, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

An enjoyable Bank Holiday puzzle thank you Rufus, no real difficulties. Thanks for the review and hints MP. I think Scchua might have some interesting suggestions for 6a http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

11. Dutch
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

First crossword in 4 weeks, and I was pleased to find it a quick solve. I liked “betting slips” in 11a and the clever anagram indicators “dressing up” in 16a and “refurbished” in 15d. However i found a number of the clues less exciting, e.g. 13a, 23a, 25a, 26a, 7d, hence rated this a 2*.

Thanks Rufus and thanks miffypops.

12. George Dyson
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Perhaps it is just the comparison with the puzzles from the last few days, but I found this one easy. A boost to my self confidence at solving these puzzles!
    1*/4*

Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A very enjoyable start to the week, some great clues. Needed the hints for 2d, couldn’t get “side” out of my head, so didn’t think of xi. Also needed the hint for 8d, was only thinking about the church-like definition of 9a. More lateral thinking required!
    Favourites were 10a & 4d. Was 2*/4* for me. Typical August Bank Holiday weather in Central London. Must get on with the hoovering. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

14. Rick
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

A typically well crafted Rufus puzzle, with lots to like, especially 4d. I stumbled in the NE corner thanks to a tryping error on 6d that took a while to spot (big fingers on the iPad’s small keyboard).
    26a brought back memories It was my grandad’s favourite tipple – and mine because I got the money from taking the bottles back.
    If your dose of Rufus fun was over too quickly then I can recommend today’s Grauniad outing. No need to waste money on the paper – their interactive online page is really quite good.
    1.5/3*

15. BigBoab
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and MP for an enjoyable if untaxing crossword and a delightful review. 1*/3*

16. SheilaP
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Liked today’s crossword very much. There’s nothing like a Mondays puzzle to boost ones confidence. **/*** stars for us. Now on to the quickie. Thank you setter and Miffypops.

17. NJoy
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I’m enjoying my bank holiday, The window’s open so that I can listen to the rain and the birds, the cat is asleep on the chair and I’ve got my feet up! I enjoyed today’s very much, particularly 4d and 10a. Thank you Rufus and Miffypops.
    http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif (I may have overdone the emoticons! Feeling great and couldn’t decide which one was best!)

• Kitty
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Sounds idyllic. I’m jealous of the cat (the mean landlord won’t let me have one http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif).

As long as you have more words than emoticons, you haven’t overdone them ;).

• NJoy
        Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Kitty. I’m sorry about your landlord, maybe you’ll persuade him one day or find a landlord that will let you have one. I love having a cat around even if he is snoring! I think George would disagree with the terminology there – I think he “has” me – as his pet slave!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif

• Kitty
          Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

That’s definitely the right way round – cats are not daft! (Well, excepting one or two.) One day I will be owned by a cat, one day…

• Miffypops
          Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff

Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Too true!

Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Dogs have owners unless they’re collies – collies live as equal partners!
            The only reason that ours can’t do the crossword is that I haven’t taught her how to – I don’t want the competition!

18. Jill
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Plenty of easy clues and two which had me scratching my head for a bit http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif. Just the right balance http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif. Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops

19. pommers
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Well, pommette’s favourite setter does it once again – just the right balance of easy, tricky and humourous clues http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Really was a joy to solve, even if pommette didn’t need me and it didn’t last long. **/**** from us.

Many thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

It’s chucking it down with rain. My ninety-two year old Mum has fallen over. Our fifteen year old collie isn’t very well. Our freezer has conked out. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    Apart from that lot everything is just great! I really enjoyed today’s crossword – 1* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    I had a slight problem with 4d – should have gone to Specsavers – I read the final word of the clue as ‘idea’ rather than ‘ideal’.
    I went a bit glazed over with 11 and 19a – cricket and racing – can’t do either – but they ended up being OK.
    8d was my last one.
    Lots of good clues – 6 and 24a and 13d. My favourite was 4d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops for brightening things up a bit.
    Going to have a go at Mr Rookie if everyone will just leave me alone for long enough. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Kitty
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Oh, you poor thing! Hope everything brightens up for you. Have a http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif.

• Carrie
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Here’s some from me too :rose: :rose:
      You are remarkably upbeat in the face of adversity Kath

Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I am so sorry your dear old Mum has fallen again … not hurt herself I hope, hips are such fragile things at her age. Do hope she is fine.

Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks all – everything seems to have calmed down a bit now. Mum OK, collie better and the freezer’s working again – my fault so please don’t even ask . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
      Still raining though . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

That’s good to hear, and a dose of Dave Allen later will compensate for today’s rain.

Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks RD.

21. Derek
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Another pleasant puzzle from the Monday Maestro!

Faves : 10a, 21a, 4d & 8d.

22. Jules 55
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Yes really sorry to hear that Kath and hope things improve . My last one in was 8D and I had to look at the hints to see if it was right as I wasn’t sure . My favourite was also 10A! I love the Monday crossword as I can usually finish in a reasonable time …. Am still in awe of those who finish over their morning coffee though !!

23. Carrie
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I’m taking my time to complete this delightful puzzle in much the same way as I string out a book or meal I’m really really enjoying.

So not ready to select my favourite of the day and will do this despite disappointing those that don’t make it, I’m not as kind as Kitty.

I’m a bit at sixes and sevens and got confused when there was discussion about clues and answers, I may have misunderstood the clue but I doubt that 12a can be regarded as a city

Thank you Rufus for once again providing a great crossword and to MP for a great review and fantastic picture for 4d

24. Sarah F
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Just right for a dry but cold day in Edinburgh. A morale-booster for me after Saturday’s puzzle. Liked 10a, 21a and 24a. Thanks to Rufus and Miffy

25. Gwizz
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Nice and Monday-ish! Certainly a little easier than recent days… well I thought so!
    Thank you Rufus and MP for the not-required hints.
    Oh, and favourite clue was definitely 10a. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Started the day on the wrong foot as they delivered my newspaper in Spanish, and I like to start the day reading the news. I should really learn Spanish but somehow feel it’s a bit late for me.
    Forget that beefing, all’s well again with this lovely Rufus puzzle. Last one in for me was 8d as well, seems I was in good company. All I could think of was “see Naples and die”, rubbish of course as it made no sense. Huge duh moment when I tumbled.
    There were many great clues, I loved 21a, 24a and 4d in particular, but fave is definitely 10a.

Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Oooops! Tried to edit, forgot my manners: Thanks heaps to Rufus and to M’pops for his usual entertaining review.

27. Collywobbles
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I found this puzzle a little difficult for a Monday. 3* for me. Usual pleasurable fare from Rufus for which many thanks and the hints needed for which thanks Miffipops

28. Hilary
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

Good Monday fun, really enjoyed it as I managed to do it without having to resort to the website but logged in to see how everyone else got on. Loved 10a but there were several other goodies. Dire day in Suffolk cold and wet or it could just be antiquity making me grouchy.

Posted August 25, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Usual good stuff for a Monday. It all went together smoothly for us.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

30. Ally
    Posted August 25, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I managed this one without any clues. Slowly they are getting easier. 13d was my favourite and also one I got straight away. Thank you Miffipops and Rufus.

• Una
      Posted August 25, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

I think you mean hints, Ally.

• Kitty
        Posted August 25, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Haha! Psychic Ally http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

(The hints are clues to the clues though http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif.)

Posted August 25, 2014 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

I agree with everyone, a really enjoyable start to the week. Thanks Rufus and Miffypops. Favourite and last in 8d.

32. Nobby66