DT 27570 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27570 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Today is your last chance to win the very special prize for this month’s Prize Puzzle!

Some hints follow:

1a    Antagonism in work place (10)
A musical work followed by a place or site

10a    Socially dominant in sacred river area (5)
The sacred river in Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s Kubla Khan (newly added to The Usual Suspects page) followed by A(rea)

11a    Not entirely risky acquiring horse for old coach (9)
Most of an adjective meaning risky around a horse which is popular for its grace and speed

15a    Entrant, a competitor on river (7)
The A from the clue followed by a competitor itself preceded by (on in an across clue) R(iver)

18a    Greeting composer, one leaving barbecue (7)
A charade of a two-letter greeting, a German composer and I (one)

24a    Loyal follower, guy from a Belgian river port? (8)
Split as (5,3) this could be a guy from a Belgian river port, as long as you ignore the lack of a grave accent

27a    Beginning to like catching Latin lecture (7-2)
A phrasal verb meaning beginning to like (6,2) around (catching) L(atin)

30a    Clue for Poirot, say, could bring dishonour to family (10)
Evidence that could help a detective like Hercule Poirot solve a case could, if split as (5,5), mean family and a dishonour or smear

1d    What’s touching about mother country? (4)
A two-letter word meaning touching or in contact with around mother

4d    Diplomatic in court dividing fault roughly (7)
The abbreviation of C(our)T inside (dividing) an anagram (roughly) of FAULT

5d    Famous Greek is below on a ship (7)
Not an Ancient Greek, but a twentieth century shipping magnate! – IS preceded by ON, A and a SteamShip

7d    Empty, obsolete bain-marie? (7)
An adjective meaning obsolete or extinct followed by the type of cooking utensil of which a bain-marie is an example (the question mark indicates that this is a definition-by-example)

9d    Fighter having to turn from correct course over channel (8)
This fighter is an aircraft, not a person! – a verb meaning to turn from the correct course followed by a channel or passage

16d    First one to get on a four-wheeled carriage (8)
The person who comes first followed by I (one) and the A from the clue

19d    Finance account in arrears (7)
A verb meaning to finance or support followed by an account or diary

20d    Bad carrying on with a criminal (7)
An adjective meaning bad around (carrying) another word for the on side in cricket and the A from the clue

21d    Venetian painter to fasten sports shirt (7)
A verb meaning to fasten followed by a type of sports shirt

26d    College bill rising (4)
The reversal (rising in a down clue) of a bill of exchange

The Crossword Club is now open.

The Quick crossword pun: hip+note+eyes=hypnotise

1. Collywobbles
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I found this puzzle very difficult at first but gradually speeded up and there were some very good clues, especially 21a. I still have some clues to finish so many thanks for the hints BD as I’m sure that I’ll need them

2. Angel
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Usual untaxing Saturday morning fun – thanks Mysteron and BD. Not really any outstanding fav but several clever clues to work on. ***/***. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

3. njm
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I found this much more difficult than normal for a Saturday puzzle, but once I’d finished I wasn’t sure why! Completely missing the cricketing reference in 20d didn’t help, making it one of the last in. Favorite 24a, 3*/3* rating. Thanks to Mysteron and BD.

4. Caravaggio
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

When I initially looked at this puzzle, my heart sank so I’m somewhat relieved to read two of the comments above because I’ve had to resort to Dave’s invaluable hints. I’ll hold my hand up: I don’t think that I would have been able to finish this puzzle otherwise… Thank you, Dave, because I can now concentrate on the football on BT Sport.

• Sheepdog
      Posted August 16, 2014 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

It’s the cricket season!

• Caravaggio
      Posted August 16, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

And the European Athletics Championships in Zurich too, Sheepdog!

• Sheepdog
        Posted August 16, 2014 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

Athletics not really my thing. But I’m old enough to remember Ann Packer, Mary Rand and Lynn Davies winning gold (and a few Brits too, of course)
        Football and cricket for me, but it takes me a while to get into the footy season, mid August far too early, there is a Test match going in and young Joe Root is on top form!

• Sheepdog
          Posted August 16, 2014 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

I meant to say ‘a few Brits since’

5. Sarah
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

I thought this was harder than usual and still am not sure that two of my answers are correct! Still I prefer having to use the brain cells than just going through the motions. Thanks to BD for the hints which I needed today.

Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

Apologies if this turns out to be a second posting by my computer crashed just as I clicked on “Post Comment”.

4*/3.5*. I found this tough but very enjoyable and a great relief after a couple of lack-lustre days. The SW corner was the last to yield.

I had never before heard of 18a nor 21d, but got both answers from the wordplay and checked them using Google. I needed BD’s hint to unravel the wordplay for 11a completely.

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and to BD.

Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Oh good! I thought I was having a dim day as I found it pretty tricky too so I’m really glad to find it’s not just me.
    Definitely much more difficult than the last few Saturdays but I thought it was very enjoyable.
    After the first read through of all the clues I only had seven answers.
    I got a bit bogged down with sport – horse racing (6a), cricket (20d) and goodness knows what 12a is but I’m sure it’s sport!
    I had the wrong answer for 19d to begin with – should have suspected it was wrong as I couldn’t explain it – but that made 27a a bit ‘interesting’ for a while.
    I needed the hint to understand my answer for 10a.
    Only a couple of anagrams – that’ll do as my excuse for finding the crossword difficult.
    Lots of good clues – 13 and 28a and 5 and 7d. My favourite is either 30a (my last answer) or 8d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

8. Hrothgar
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I found this a right struggle but got there eventually, unaided.
    Learnt two new words, one in 10a and 18a which I constructed from the clues.
    Some very clever clues.
    Many thanks to the setter, and BD for the review.

Posted August 16, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter, a challenge for Saturday morning. I agree with the above comments – a bit trickier than the usual Saturday puzzle. It has taken me a while to complete, and I am not sure that it was a lot of fun. There didn’t seem to be any “good fun” clues. Thanks BD for your hints, which I have used to confirm the wordplay to a few answers.

10. Jill
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Really liked this puzzle though stuck for a while on 21d, so made up a “ridiculous” answer from the clue and letters, checked on Google, and bingo! – it was correct! One learns something new every day. Many thanks to the compiler and to Big Dave.

11. SheilaP
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

This was a wee bit trickier than usual for a Saturday I thought, so I was more than happy to see that some others thought the same. We finished it with help from the hint master, so thank you BD and to the setter of course.

Posted August 16, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Very tricky today I thought with some really dense clues such as 10a (what river?), 29a (just plain daft) and 21d(too obscure for words). All these with a reliance on ancient vehicles didn’t lead to a particularly pleasant solving experience.
    Took three sittings to finish but little enjoyment.
    Thx for the hints.

Posted August 16, 2014 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

For the 10a river read BD’s hint or he’ll be worrying about why he bothers, again! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif
      I have to confess that I’ve never heard of it either.

• Sheepdog
        Posted August 16, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

The poem Kubla Khan came to Samuel Taylor Coleridge in an opium induced dream. When he awoke he wrote the poem down, but was interrupted by ‘a person from Porlock’ who stayed for an hour and when that person left Sam had forgotten the dream and so the poem remained unfinished.

13. Tantalus
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Thought you Brits would know 18a… (Mrs T did and she’s from Wallasey)
    Thanks to Messers Ron & Dave for a gentle start to the weekend.

Posted August 16, 2014 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I said to Mr CS that I thought this was one was trickier than usual so am pleased to learn that it wasn’t my just being tired after a hectic 10 days or so.

Anyone other newspaper readers assume that the outside advertising on the Weekend section was a four pager as usual and have to go to the recycling bin and rescue the GK puzzle, or was that just me??

• stanXYZ
      Posted August 16, 2014 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

A bad surface reading?

What?

Posted August 16, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the warning. I haven’t got as far as the weekend section yet – washed the sofa covers and getting everything back on to the cushions is proving to be even more of a battle than the crossword was – think they might have shrunk a bit . . . oh dear! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted August 16, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, again – this was meant to be a reply to CS.

16. Derek
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Straightforward solve today.

Faves : 18a (although I have slight objection to the word play), 24a, 7d & 21d.

17. LolGee
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

A struggle for me today and wouldn’t have finished at all without BD’s help (thank you). I’d not heard of 18a (I’ve looked it up now). Favourite was 21a. Thanks to setter (and BD again).

18. spindrift
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

The ‘Old Grey whistle Test’ for puzzles in my family is whether or not my old Mum (84 & solving cryptics for more than ½ century) can finish it. In today’s case I think tomorrow’s duty call will result in a negative response.

This felt more like a mid week puzzle rather than a Saturday but thanks to the setter & to BD as always for taking the trouble in the first place.

19. George Dyson
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Yes, a bit tough for me too, today. Amused at 18a as I would not have thought there were many in the UK! ****/****

Posted August 16, 2014 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Big Dave for the hints. A very tricky, but enjoyable puzzle. Needed the hint for 9d, managed the rest ok. Had not heard of 18a,but got it from the wordplay. Favourite was 11a. Was 3*/3* for me. Come on England and the Gooners. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

Posted August 16, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

This was decidedly trickier than the usual Saturday for me. The bottom half went in a treat but I had trouble with the top. I needed the hints for three answers but, overall, very enjoyable. I have an 18a here, so no probs with that. My fave was 21d, I like his stuff. Thanks to setter and to BD for much-needed hints.

22. Carrie
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Pretty tough today and I had to resort to hints/tips fairly quickly.

Hadn’t heard of the river in 8a and would never have thought of 24a without help.

Favourite 23a

23. Collywobbles
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Having finished now I would rate this 2* and 3* for enjoyment. I did need one or two of BD’s clues for which many thanks. mIt was quite enjoyable mixing the crossword with the cricket particularly as we are ahead

24. Badger
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

17a was my last -it was the subtle use of obscurer meanings that made me think hard.
    I liked 11a & 30a. I also had never heard of 18a.

Thanks for the tips BD -confirmed my solution for 20d !

25. Percy Plant
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

I too found this one hard for a Sat, got there in the end but needed help for 18a which I had never heard of before. Enjoyable though and liked 24 and 30a.

26. Barry Morgan
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the hints and perseverance I was able to finish. I must thank you Big Dave your hints have over the past 6 weeks or so really helped me both complete and hence enjoy the cryptic crossword.

27. Lulubelle
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Still haven’t finished today – and that’s with the hints. Must be having a really thick day. Didn’t get 10a without. BD’s help, and completely lost with 26d and 30a. Ho,hum. Finished the quickie in record time, so small (very) consolation. **

28. Ralph
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

All done except for 17a!

Any clues please?

Frustrated from Raynes Park!

Posted August 16, 2014 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

17a Sound check (7)
      Double definition – the first an adjective meaning sound or dependable and the second a verb meaning check or restrict.

• Ralph
        Posted August 17, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Thanks gazza! Much appreciated.

R

• Jezza
      Posted August 16, 2014 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

From Raynes Park? I have just come back from there, where I solved this puzzle… a little tricky I thought today.
      Thanks to setter, and to BD.

• Ralph
        Posted August 17, 2014 at 11:43 am | Permalink

RP obviously a crossword Mecca, Jezza! Tough one today but ultimately satifying to have it finished. Learnt a few words today.

Posted August 16, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Something like 2.5*/3*, l think. 5d was my pick of the clues, but 11a was good too. Thanks to Mr Ron, and to BD for hints (albeit not needed today).

Posted August 16, 2014 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Really quite difficult. Thanks for the hints.

31. Ally
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Monday was a fluke and I have struggled since then. I sorted out the bottom left corner quite quickly and the rest fell into place with the help from BD. I worked out 14d and then was delighted that I learnt a new word at 18a. I have never heard of 21d Thank you.

32. Vancouverbc
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

A 4*/3.5* for me and delighted to see I’m not the only one who struggled. Having put it down for a few hours to do chores it suddenly started to fall into place. The last letter of 11a threw me for a while until I reviewed the wordplay and provided me with a new way of spelling this word. Thanks to the setter and BD for the review.

33. Wahoo
    Posted August 17, 2014 at 4:24 am | Permalink

Started this late tonight, after dinner (not always a good idea) and found it harder than most Saturday puzzles because of three or four that drove me mad. So it’s a ***/** for me. 9d (where I still, on reflection, think the opening part is weird (IMHO)) and 10a (never heard of that flower) kept me delayed for a long time – but,as everyone says, “…on reflection” it all looks so easy!!.

Maybe just enough time before bed to try Sunday’s!

Thanks Bd for explaining a couple of answers that I had but didn’t fully know why!

Oh, and never seen 11a spelt like that. One day I must buy a BRB!

34. almo251
    Posted August 17, 2014 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Big Dave, in which case, please explain why we have the visual clues captioned ? – Confused dot com !!

• Posted August 17, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

That has been explained many, many times. When I was asked to stop doing it several years ago there were howls of protest. Look at them as a handful of gimmes to get you started.

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted August 17, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Without which I, for one, would frequently fail to even start – so thanks for the gimmes BD !

35. Reggie
    Posted August 17, 2014 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Definitely harder than a normal Saturday-I found 9d and 30a particularly difficult. Needed pointers for these and (thanks BD) and I cant quite rationalise 17a for the first part of the clue.
    Id rate as a ***/***

36. Anne
    Posted August 17, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Great help. Many thanks. New to this crossword so still learning the mind of the composer

37. Catnap
    Posted August 18, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Was late starting this. Thought there were many fun clues and a couple of tricky ones, too. Can’t decide whether my fave is 5d or 30a. Loved both! Also much liked 7d, 10a, 11a, and 27a. Many thanks to the Saturday setter for an enjoyable crossword.

Many thanks to Big Dave for the excellent hints. I needed two of them to complete the puzzle. Otherwise I think I have fared all right. Look forward to the full review in due course.