Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment **

Tuesdays don’t usually offer too much of a challenge and this one is no exception though I thought it was a smidgeon trickier than usual. Let us know how you got on.

You can reveal an actual answer by highlighting what’s concealed between the brackets under the relevant clue.

Across Clues

1a Flipping calculation! I almost shout for Annie, perhaps (7)
{MUSICAL} – reverse (flipping) an arithmetical calculation then add I and a verb to shout or cry without its last letter (almost).

5a Silenced outside entrance to prison after one is charged (7)
{IMPUTED} – silenced (like the TV set when the phone rings) contains the start letter (entrance) of prison and that all follows the Roman numeral for one.

9a Wedding  ring (5)
{UNION} – double definition, the second a circle or association. The second definition is a bit tenuous unless I’ve missed something.

10a Tow mayor’s wheels on these roads? (9)
{MOTORWAYS} – an anagram (wheels) of TOW MAYOR’S.

11a Reference book‘s style half-dreary (10)
{DICTIONARY} – start with a style or manner of speaking and add half of the word dreary.

12a Crew erratically anchored vessel (4)
{EWER} – there was a discussion yesterday about short words which appear far more often in crosswords than in real life. There’s another one hidden (anchored) in this clue.

14a Degrees of warmth are returning in half-cut tree stump (12)
{TEMPERATURES} – reverse (returning) ARE inside an anagram (half-cut) of TREE STUMP. The surface doesn’t mean a great deal.

18a Almost buy in remorse something to be given (12)
{CONTRIBUTION} – insert BU(y) into a word meaning remorse or penitence.

21a Shouted, ‘Go away, you put your foot in it!’ (4)
{SHOE} – this sounds like (shouted) an exclamation used to drive away (an animal, for example).

22a Excited, pa’s despair fades away (10)
{DISAPPEARS} – an anagram (excited) of PA’S DESPAIR.

25a Possession wins her top novel — not Byatt’s last (9)
{OWNERSHIP} – an anagram (novel) of WINS HER (t)OP without the last letter of Byatt. Good surface because her novel ‘Possession’ did win the Booker Prize for A S Byatt and it wasn’t her last one.

26a Bird dog with no lead (5)
{EAGLE} – this is today’s really old chestnut. Remove the leading letter from a type of small hound.

27a ‘Dandy’ editor got fatter (7)
{SWELLED} – a charade of a dandy or fop and the abbreviation for editor.

28a Spain allowed to capture soldiers, creating suspicion (7)
{ELEMENT} – suspicion here means a slight trace. Start with the IVR code for Spain then add a verb meaning allowed containing (to capture) ordinary soldiers.

Down Clues

1d My loud mobile could be going off (6)
{MOULDY} – an anagram (mobile) of MY LOUD.

2d Sorceress is after small wand (6)
{SWITCH} – a sorceress (sometimes cryptically clued as a bad speller) follows S(mall).

3d Measure recent time changes (10)
{CENTIMETRE} – an anagram (changes) of RECENT TIME.

4d Fruit turns up in an omelette (5)
{LEMON} – hidden and reversed (turns up, in a down clue).

5d Read Pinter beginning to end — starts to realise everything’s threatening (9)
{INTERPRET} – move the first letter of Pinter to the end then add the starting letters of the last three words.

6d Almost do role in a play (4)
{PART} – a festive do or knees-up without its final Y (almost).

7d Sounds like rain — calling for co-operation (8)
{TEAMWORK} – what sounds like a verb to rain heavily is followed by a calling or vocation.

8d Vicious, punk rocker, pulled up hair, creating anguish (8)
{DISTRESS} – reverse (pulled up, in a down clue) the forename of Mr Vicious, the punk rocker, then add a long lock of hair.

13d Feeling  it’s all around us (10)
{ATMOSPHERE} – double definition, the first being a mood or character.

15d Local is held wrongly, and released (9)
{PUBLISHED} – the abbreviated form of a local or inn followed by an anagram (wrongly) of IS HELD.

16d Cutters  hold in ring (8)
{SCISSORS} – double definition, the second being a hold in a wrestling ring.

17d Report woman with wild cat (8)
{ANNOUNCE} – a charade of a woman’s name (the short form of the one in 1a) and a wild cat also known as the snow leopard.

19d Time to suppress point of view causing confusion (6)
{TANGLE} – T(ime) precedes (to suppress, in a down clue) a point of view or perspective.

20d Look from a page in party (6)
{ASPECT} – start with A (from the clue) then insert P(age) in a party or faction (especially a religious one).

23d Fruit very softly dropped into alcoholic drink (5)
{APPLE} – insert the musical abbreviation for pianissimo into an alcoholic drink.

24d Test on a regular basis — not really (4)
{ORAL} – just the even letters of the last two words.

My favourite today was 25a. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {BANNED} + {LIEDER} = {BANDLEADER}

Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:05 am | Permalink

A slight smidge trickier – no particular favourites today – thanks to the Mysteron and Gazza.

Anyone who has wondered about trying a Toughie for the first time should definitely have a go today. I’ll explain why when I comment on the proper page this afternoon.

• Angel
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

I agree about the Toughie but I suspect Kath may not be attracted to the topical theme!

Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gifI’ll let you know later!

Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

No – you’re wrong there – very happy with this one!
        A very welcome change from the World Cup, and just as topical. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Angel
          Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Oh that’s good – my mistake! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

Absolutely no need to be http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif.
            You’re quite right in thinking that I don’t/can’t do sport in general but I love tennis – and swimming but that really isn’t a spectator sport.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I agree with you whole heartedly, adding anything with horses, particularly jumping.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

. . . could we also add diving and gymnastics?

• skempie
                  Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Only if its proper gymnastics – no dancing and no hoop, ball and ribbon

• Kitty
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Ooh – the Toughie is usually way beyond me, but maybe I’ll have a peek :).

2. Angel
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

My goodness, all the setters really have let us off lightly today. This was virtually a write-in as indeed were the Quickie and even the Toughie (unusually for me). Thanks Mr. Ron and Gazza. */** http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Not a difficult puzzle but I had the feeling I wasn’t on the setters wavelength.Guessing from the checking letters , mostly.Favourite 21a.Thanks to setter and Gazza.

4. Kitty
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I found this nice and easy today, though not quite a write-in. So **/*** for me. Thanks setter and Gazza :).

Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:53 am | Permalink

I found this one very straightforward – must have been on the right wave length. I really liked it so 1* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    Having missed the anagram indicator in 1d (silly) I didn’t have a first letter for 9a and dithered for a while about “ring” being “union”.
    I agree about the surface of 14a being a bit dodgy but liked the anagram indicator – half-cut presumably being tipsy?
    Needless to say I didn’t know the 16d wrestling hold but it had to be that so looked it up – BRB makes it sound awful – the picture looks even worse.
    Until I realised that 10a was an anagram I wanted to make it something to do with “Boris’s Bikes” – silly again.
    I liked 1a (mainly because our collie is called Annie) and 25a and 1 and 5d. My favourite was 21a.
    With thanks to the setter and to gazza.

• Vince
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Kath, how do you explain “ring” =”union”?

Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I can’t really but you try fitting anything else into u*i*n with the added constraint that it also needs to mean wedding. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

I was waiting to see if Kath came up with anything different but I think ring must be a circle or association, like the Mothers’ Union. Not a great clue, IMHO.

6. Bluebird
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I’d agree with **\***

The only one I got a bit bogged down in was 24d- knew it had to be non adjacent letters, but couldn’t be bothered to go far enough.

16d reminds me of Saturday afternoons in the 60s, Jackie Pallo etc and my father shouting exhortations at the combatants. My favourite was tag, sometimes a blur……

Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I thought you’d be off in the motorhome like Mary?

7. skempie
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable but non-threatening today, perhaps a couple of anagrams too many, but then it is Tuesday.

Did a load of planting on Saturday – two of the three plants I put in our tub outside the front door are already blooming and some radishes I put in a little pot need replanting already !!!

8. Ellie
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I would be finding it easy if only the updated iPad app would stop losing what I’ve written in each time I move to another app. This never happened before and I’m tired of redoing it to continue :(. Anyone else had this happen spasmodically since the update?

Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Ellie,
      You’ve changed your alias so your comment needed moderation. All three aliases should now work!

• Posted July 1, 2014 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Several people have encountered flaky processing with the iPad app – personally I use the Android “Stand Alone” app and have no problems at all.

• Ellie
        Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:14 am | Permalink

Sorry, no idea what I first said but it’s still me! I answer to all variations!

• Grandpa_Steve
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Ellie,
      yes I have the same problem with the iPad app and on Saturday the whole thing nearly got thrown out of the window. There’s no consistency but I did find that moving to another page such as swiping left to the Sudoku puzzle and then back before going to another app seems to cause the app to save the entered answers.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Grandpa Steve.

• Ellie
        Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:15 am | Permalink

Thanks. I’ll deffo try that today!

9. BigBoab
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable fun without stretching the old grey matter, thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the super pictorial review. I agree with all the others about the Warbler “toughie”.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

1*/2.5* today for me. No issues but nothing outstanding either.

Many thanks to setter and to Gazza.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter – I was going okay with this but ground to a halt half way through. Managed to finish eventually, so it has whiled away some time on the Euston / Picc journey. Thanks for your review and hints Gazza – I needed your hint for the explanation of the 2nd part of 16 d. !

12. Chris T Heswall
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

No problems with this one today – no real favourites. Thanks to setter and Gazza. I will have a go at The Toughie but expect I’ll struggle. Always the way, when I find the back pager easy, The Toughie defeats me without resorting to electronic help or hints.

13. SheilaP
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable today and finished without help for the second day running. Not getting too carried away though, because I know pride comes before a fall and tomorrow may be a different story. **/*** for us. Thank you to the setter and to Gazza.

14. Graham Wall
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Off to a slow start today but with a couple of prods from the blog got there. I would give this a 3/3 . Thanks to Gazza for the review.

15. Catherine
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

No real trouble with this one today and I did enjoy it. Had to think about 5a for a bit and liked 25a and 5d for their nice surface readings.
    Have been away for a few days and can never decide whether I should try and catch up on all the puzzles I’ve missed. Usually give in though so happy this one was not too tricky!
    Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.
    Canada’s 147th birthday today :)

Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday and good luck blowing out the candles.

• Catherine
        Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks Gazza :)

• Vancouverbc
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Catherine – and my first as a Canadian citizen! The crossword was not one of my favorites so a 3*/2* for me and grateful for Gazza’s hints. A beautiful day ahead with blue skies and snow still on the mountains in the distance.

• Catherine
        Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Happy Canada Day to you Vancouverbc. And what a stunning city you live in ! The sea and the mountains, what could be better.

16. Gwizz
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

A gentle enough exercise, although I did get lazy on 21ac. I mean, ‘stop’ for goodness sake!
    Oh well.
    Thanks to all.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the 3* for difficulty, Gazza. I found this really tricky, in fact, never did finish, missing 5a, 6d and 7d. Had to look up the rocker in 8d, and had no idea why 16d was right, but what else could it be? I know nothing of wrestling, except Nelson and half-Nelson which have appeared in crosswords in the past!

Some of the answers, particularly the long ones, were easy and helped a lot. Fave was 1a, first one in and gave a false sense of security. Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for review and help finishing.

18. Framboise
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed today’s offering and finished it all on my own. 2*/4* for me. 21a tickled me pink but 5a taxed my brain! Even if I manage to finish the puzzle unaided, I cannot help looking at the help and reading the comments. Merci to setter (Ron?) and of course to Gazza.

19. Corky
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Just in from work and I’ve shot through this. So I think 1* difficulty and 3* enjoyment.

Just out of general interest, why do people appear to dislike anagrams? I love them. It’s the ‘hidden’ words that I don’t like – too much like those ‘word search’ puzzles that I could never see the point/challenge in.

I’m encouraged to give the toughie a go.

Thanks all.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

I like anagrams particularly if it’s a tricky crossword – sometimes they’re the only thing(s) that give a way into the puzzle.
      I always miss the hidden answers.
      Do give the Toughie a go – if I can do it I think anyone can. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Corky
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I know anagrams can be easy but i like to judge the degree of difficulty by my personal set of rules. (I am quite ritualistic about my crossword approach and I suspect that is common to most regulars.)

So, by my own rules, I’ve achieved highly if I read, recognise and solve.

2nd level of success is read, recognise, stare and think and solve.

3rd level of success is read, recognise, write down letters and try to jumble – then solve.

And so on…………………

These little personal challenges so add to the fun!

Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I have to confess that I always write all the letters down and check them off even if it looks dead simple – I’ve been caught too often the other way – even down to the last couple of letters at the end which then completely screw up other answers.

• Corky
          Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

See, we all have our little strategies/rituals.

I flatter myself that I’m pretty good at anagrams (by my own set of rules) ……….

……….but I’m just rubbish at that Countdown programme.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:00 pm | Permalink

Don’t know Countdown – don’t do daytime TV – but I agree with the strategies and rituals! Even if it’s a beautiful morning I sit at the kitchen table to do the crossword! Stupid or what?

20. Annidrum
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

I found 3/4of this really easy and was really stretched by the last quarter but honestly looking at it now can’t remember which ones slowed me down except I had spelt 3d correctly in the first place then changed it then corrected it again (the last two letters).http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif Thanks to Setter and gazza for explaining 9a&28a.

21. Ian
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Put ‘nomel’ in for 4d because I googled it and it is a fruit! Sort of made the rest of NW corner tougher than it should have been. 5d my favourite and hadn’t twigged the moving front to back thing until I read the hints. Clever. Thanks to all.

22. Collywobbles
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Does anybody know if the ‘submit’ button is working

• Una
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn’t.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Collywobbles
      Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:45 am | Permalink

Many thanks Una

23. Owdoo
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Very straight forward today but still enjoyable. A Sex Pistol making an appearance in a DT crossword. Who’d have thought it?!
    Thanks setter and Gazza.
    1*/3*

• Corky
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

Got the ‘Sid’ reference immediately.

I wasn’t even ‘edgy’ back in the day so I guess that just makes me old.

• Heno
        Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Me too :-)

• Corky
          Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

My only nod to ‘edgy’ is that I’ve just discovered (in my late 50s) the true joy of the Doc Marten. Nothing to do with fashion, they are just wonderfully comfortable. Punk fashion wasn’t totally daft it seems – wish I’d known sooner.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. An enjoyable puzzle today with some tricky clues. Managed it ok, but needed some of Gazza’s excellent explanations to see why about six were what they were. Favourite was 21a. Was 3 */3* for me. Nice evening in Central London, but Argentina vs Switzerland is a bore.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

Amazing match going on at Wimbledon – Nadal against an Aussie I’ve never heard of – Kyrgios? – and apologies to him if I’ve spelt him wrong. I rather like the Aussie! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• skempie
      Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Well you should see a bit more of him in the next round

Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Can’t believe he beat Rafael! I’ve never heard of him!

Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Yes, skempie and Merusa – he’s brilliant – a rising star – he’s only nineteen, I’ve never heard of him either and he’s outside the top hundred players, apparently, and whatever that means. He’s also quite sweet and self-effacing when interviewed – don’t particularly care for the tattoos or the zig-zaggy head but I suppose that’s up to him.
      The trouble is, and you can all call me a weed if you like, I now feel sorry for Nadal – he looked so sad.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted July 1, 2014 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

I, too, feel sorry for Nadal. That must have been such a shock for him.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Permalink

Yes – http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif again! Glad it’s not just me being weedy!

Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:07 pm | Permalink

Would have liked today’s but for 28a which really annoyed me! Awful clue. There is no way element and suspicion go together. Totally ruined what was for me otherwise a pleasant puzzle.

• Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

from Chambers Thesaurus:

Element as in an element of truth
      small amount, grain, trace, touch, hint, suspicion, soupçon

• Una
        Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

But , Dave, wouldn’t you have to know that in advance ?

• Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:54 am | Permalink

You could look it up, or you could moan about it – different people make different choices.

• Hrothgar
            Posted July 2, 2014 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

On seeing element (ary) my first thought was ‘Ah, a hint or suspicion’

27. Little Dave
    Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. Last in was 7d. 1d distracted me for a while before the penny dropped.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Nothing to hold us up for long with this one. Good Tuesday fun.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

Posted July 1, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

A bit harder than the Toughie, which doesn’t happen often. Maybe a whisker over 2* and 3* for enjoyment. 8d was my favourite. Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

30. Tstrummer
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Been away on the boat for a few days, out of touch with the world. Marvellous, but no access to crosswords, which may account for me being a bit rusty with this one. Quite straightforward, but strayed into 3* time with 7d and 5a, my last one in. While it is not good to be back, it is good to be back doing the puzzle. I’ll try the Toughie in the morning. Thanks to Gazza for reminding me of the scissors hold, bringing back memories of Kent Walton on Saturday afternoons (as has been recalled earlier). 3*/3*

31. reggie
    Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:00 am | Permalink

As everyone says more or less straightforward but even with gazzas explanation I cant see why the answer to 28a means suspicion. I had the correct answer from the rest of the clue immediately but was reluctant to enter until confirmed by the down clues. Am I alone?

Posted July 2, 2014 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Both element and suspicion can mean a small amount, shade or tinge.
      e.g. An element of doubt was put into the jury’s mind.