DT 27498 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27498 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Most of the terms used in these hints are explained in the Glossary and examples are available by clicking on the entry under “See also”.  Other useful pages are The Usual Suspects, which gives a number of the elements commonly used in the wordplay, and Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing, which features words with meanings that are not always immediately obvious.

Some hints follow:

1a    Trophy’s displayed over Los Angeles Dome (6)
A charade of a trophy, O(ver) and the abbreviation for Los Angeles

10a    French artist delivers shock before time (5)
A shock of hair followed by T(ime)

11a    Peacekeeping organisation p-put forward without resistance (9)
The three-letter abbreviation for the usual peacekeeping organisation followed by a verb meaning put forward with its initial letter repeated

12a    Shocked in the style of jolly editor (7)
An adjective meaning in the style of followed by the usual jolly (if you haven’t seen this one before then have a look at my Usual Suspects page) and ED(itor)

13a    Exit stamp describing desperate effort (2-2-3)
A four-letter exit followed by a stamp used for impressing coins

21a    Thin material in newspaper article is unknown (7)
Another word for a newspaper, which can be found in my Wolves in Sheep’s Clothing page, and the indefinite article around a mathematical unknown

23a    Moves like a kangaroo born on Oz (7)
… apart from Australia, for what else is oz. an abbreviation?

24a    Active old reprobate’s indulgent lifestyle on the continent (5,4)
An anagram (reprobate) of ACTIVE OLD

27a    One who loves making fuss about king (6)
A charade of a fuss, the two-letter word meaning about and the Latin abbreviation for king

1d    Special troop with positive attitude collecting old Military Medal (8)
An adjective meaning with a positive attitude (3-2) around O(ld) and the abbreviation for Military Medal

3d    Religious martyr, rigged trial snared me (7)
An anagram (rigged) of TRIAL around (snared) ME

5d    Hippy perhaps sporting a denim bathrobe (5,2,3,4)
Hippy here is an adjective and has nothing to do with the 1960s drop-outs – it’s an anagram (sporting) of a denim bathrobe

9d    Holder of extreme views to provide money for disruption of animal test (14)
A four-letter verb meaning to provide money for a project followed by an anagram (for disruption) of ANIMAL TEST

15d    Detective officer initially entering the sea at Nice is poor timekeeper (9)
A three-letter abbreviation for a detective and the initial letter of O[fficer] inside the French (at Nice) for the sea (2,3)

18d    Dropping long stretch of time in underground cell (7)
Dropping or excrement followed by a long stretch of time

20d    Like poor actor in court study (6)
A verb meaning to court or win the affection of (a lady) followed by a study or studio

22d    Supernatural being — endless precious metal produced by ’em (5)
In Jewish folklore, a human image which has been brought to life is derived from a precious metal without its final letter (endless) and ‘EM

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {Aachen} + {soar} = {Arkansas}

1. Wahoo
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Fun but over too quickly. */*** 13 a worthy of a mention.

Cold, grey and damp here today. I thought someone said that England was due to have a heat wave??!! – got to get back to the Caribbean soon!

thanks to BD and compiler

• Rick
      Posted May 24, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Life is just too tough for some

2. Caravaggio
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 11:04 am | Permalink

At first sight, I thought that this was going to be one of the most difficult Saturday puzzles for some weeks – but it wasn’t. Initially, progress was slow but then things gathered momentum and I was particularly amused by 18d and 23a.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Over much too quickly. Liked 6D and 18D. Thanks to the setter, and to BD for the review.

It’s a holiday weekend here. Memorial Day on Monday and the unofficial start of summer and barbecue season. Weather promises to be lovely, too.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Glad your weather is good, we having heavenly day but only one day of rain in a month, so would quite like to have a shower or two. Those poor people west of us, what destruction.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Thank goodness for today’s puzzle which restored my confidence which took a real battering yesterday. My rating today was 1*/4* the exact inverse of yesterday!

No issues today apart from 22d being a new word for me but easily derivable from the clue. Lovely clues throughout and I agree with all the previous comments regarding 13a, 23a, 6d & 18d. However 5d was my favourite.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

5. Little Dave
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Contrary to the above I found this tricky. Was stumped on a few last in being 24a. My favourites were 1d, 6d, 8d, 18d and 13a. Not sure about 23a so maybe I’m missing something. Thanks for the review and yo the compiler of course. A day of sport for me. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

6. Little Dave
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Cancel my comment re 23a – penny has finally dropped. DOH! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted May 24, 2014 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter – a relief after yesterday’s struggle. Not too taxing and some good fun clues. Thanks BD for the hints. Rain in the NW, but like Little Dave, some terrific sport coming up on the telly !

8. Carrie
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Fun and not too difficult. Liked 5d being somewhat that way myself

9. neveracrossword
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Not too taxing – but there were some very clever and amusing clues.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

A lovely crossword that I really enjoyed. 2*/4*
    Started off thinking it was going to be very straightforward but a few at the end stopped my gallop a bit.
    I missed the anagram indicator in 24a so although I had the answer it took a while to see why.
    I’ve never heard of 22d but it wasn’t too difficult to work out.
    Also never heard of the 3d martyr – perhaps I should have done as he was the Bishop of Worcester (near where I grew up) and was martyred in Oxford (where I’ve lived since I was eighteen.)
    Lots of really good clues just a few of which are 10 and 17a and 1 and 18d. My favourite is either 23a or 5d – they both made me laugh. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
    With thanks to the setter and to BD.

11. Carrie
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Had a bit of a blip with my comment and it only posted the first line.

Enjoyed 18a and 23a they made me grin

22a was a new word

Weather here in London mixed, I’m using it as an excuse to hibernate with lots of coffee and the newspaper

Thank you BD for your help and crossword setter for puzzle

12. SheilaP
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Hurrah for today’s crossword, so much nicer than the last two days ( only because we could at least make a fist of it). It’s so much more enjoyable to be able to at least understand the answers when we actually manage to get them. Liked 14 across so that’s my favourite. Thank you Setter and BD. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

13. A G Brown
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks to setter ,some great clues, some difficult some not so a very enjoyable task, would give it ***|****

14. Derek
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Quickly-solved puzzle. Fave is 13a.

Now off to the Ciel Bleu in Amsterdam!

Cheers everyone!

Posted May 24, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

A couple of anagrams slowed me down (solving online without pen and paper).
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

Weather awful in France, hence time for a puzzle!

16. Badger
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I too found it comfortable – I guessed a few and justified afterwards. 22d new for me also. Last for me was 4a after getting 6d -no longer in fashion!
    17a was my favourite.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Super puzzle, some delicious misdirection on occasion such 5d and 24a.
    Great fun. Thx to the setter and to BD.

18. Annidrum
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Nice clever puzzle. Thank you setter.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable. I started off thinking it was going to be easy-peasy but was soon stopped in my tracks. I was totally taken in by 5d misdirection, only at the end did I get hippy out of my mind. Loved 23a and 24a, but I think fave has to be 5d. Thanks to setter, what kind of brain does it take to think up these clever, clever clues? Thanks for the review BD.

20. Dawn
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints without which I would still have half a grid to complete. On first read through thought I was 17a

Am old enough to know the abbreviation in 23a and wool always came this way :)

21. JonP
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable Saturday solve that I started pretty quickly and slowed throughout but didn’t find too tricky. Would be a **/**** and thanks to setter and BD whose hints helped explain a couple I couldn’t quite fathom.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

My day so far. Finished the cryptic nice and early. Fractured my wrist. Spent the morning in the emergency room. The NTSPP will have to wait.

• kath
      Posted May 24, 2014 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Oh no – poor you! What a pain. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gifHere’s a little flower for you.
      NTSPP is one of his trickier ones, in my opinion anyway – done all the bottom half but top remains a blank canvas.

Posted May 24, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

Oh no! Poor you, very painful. I hope it’s not your dominant hand. I won’t say enjoy your holiday weekend, that would be difficult with the discomfort, but hope you get some relaxation.

• 2Kiwis
      Posted May 24, 2014 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

A flower from us too. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Expat Chris
      Posted May 25, 2014 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Thanks all, Yes, its my dominant hand. I have to learn to be patient and ask for help, neither of which come easily for me!

23. Kingsley
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

On my first run through, I could manage only 11 across and a very uncertain (filled in very lightly) 4a – which eventually proved to be correct. The rest followed with reasonable speed, being helped by checking letters (and some guesswork). All in all, I thought this was a very satisfying puzzle. (I had never heard of the martyr in 3d, the supernatural being in 22d or the “jolly” lot in 12a, but got the answers, which were all quite obvious. Still, I appreciated the explanations in the Hints.)

I have the answer to 6d, but can someone explain to me how the last letter got into the answer? (I have the “bit of a blow”, the ten and the “around” but where does that last letter come from?)
    (Big Dave, if any part of my question offends against any laws that carry the death penalty – or, worse still, the naughty step – please edit it before it gets published!)

• Prolixic
      Posted May 24, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

The final two letters are an abbreviation for around.

24. Kingsley
    Posted May 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

I’ve just got it – the last TWO letters are the abbreviation, not the penultimate letter!

Posted May 24, 2014 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter for this gentle but pleasant puzzle, and to BIg Dave for the hints. I would rate this one at 1*/3*, and can’t choose a favourite between 5d (because it reminds me of happy days serving in the later “Leander” class frigates – which had ****** ***** than their predecessors) and 18d (which just appealed to the schoolboy in me).

Posted May 25, 2014 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter for a very pleasant puzzle which went in swimmingly, except for the heavy weather I made of the south east corner, for some unknown reason.The hints saved me.Thanks BD.

27. Reggie
    Posted May 25, 2014 at 8:21 am | Permalink

A**/*** for me though the last 2 clues 20d &21a gave me a lot of pain. Still as the rain continues to fall not much else to do. Managed to finish GK and tough Sudoku and Killer Sudoku as well. Normally all reserved for Sunday am.

Posted May 25, 2014 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. A super puzzle, very enjoyable, lots to make me laugh. I found it quite difficult to get going, but managed to finish it this morning. Favourites were 12,13&23a and 5d which was the best. Was 3*/4* for me. New word in 3d, last in was 20d. Late commenting due to the Squash Finals yesterday.

29. Manuela
    Posted May 25, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Hello BD, and many thanks for your hints. I am still a beginner at this and rarely finish, despite your hints and the thesaurus, but it’s getting better and better! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gifhowever, I wondered why some questions don’t appear on your hints? Could it be my tablet not downloading the full page?

Posted May 25, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

The weekend puzzles are prize puzzles which is why only a few clues are provided with hints and the solutions aren’t hidden in the curly brackets.

A full review of the Saturday Prize Puzzle is published every Friday at 8 am when you can check your missing solutions together with explanations of the wordplay
      Keep persevering and it won’t be long before you finish the puzzle every time. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

30. Roger
    Posted May 25, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Brilliant. Brilliant. Super crossword. Haven’t enjoyed one as much for a long time. My thanks to the setter and BD.

31. Badger
    Posted May 25, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

The answer to Kingsley- the letters are an abbreviation for the Latin ‘*****’ which means ‘about’ or approximate.

32. Angel
    Posted May 25, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

This must have been simple as I managed to complete it quickly at the dead of last night devoid of any aids (BRB, electronic, etc.) whilst away from home attending a wedding so head not exactly clear! */***. My commiserations Expat Chris – I fell a while ago resulting in injury to both wrists so struggled with splints for several weeks but all’s well now so best wishes for a speedy recovery for you too.