Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ****

Scchua is unavailable today, but will be back next week. This was a comparatively easy puzzle, which should suit some solvers.

1a    Devious boy (no model) gets investment to make a killing (5,5)
{BLOOD MONEY} – an anagram (devious) of BOY NO MODEL

6a    Cheerful after company’s success (4)
{COUP} – a two-letter adjective meaning cheerful after CO(mpany)

9a    Sat on work being challenged (7)
{OPPOSED} – a verb meaning sat as a model preceded by the usual musical work

10a    Examine honour (in replacing soldiers) (7)
{INSPECT} – start with a word meaning honour and replace the RE (Royal Engineer / soldiers) with IN

12a    In case of problems, popular monarchs try these for cutting material (7,6)
{PINKING SHEARS} – inside the outer letters (case) of P[roblem]S put a two-letter word meaning popular, some monarchs and a verb meaning to try someone in a court of law

14a    Supplied half clean, changing every day (8)
{PURVEYED} – the first half of a four-letter adjective meaning clean or spotless followed by an anagram (changing) of EVERY and D(ay)

15a    Doctor got up in a dark mood (6)
{MOROSE} – an abbreviation for a doctor followed by a verb meaning got or stood up

17a    Proposed putting daughter on board (6)
{TABLED} – D(aughter) follows a board

19a    A spit designed to hold sheep or beef (8)
{PASTRAMI} – an anagram (designed) of A SPIT around a male sheep

21a    Piano duet regularly finish uncertain (13)
{INDETERMINATE} – the even letters (regularly) of the first two words in the clue followed by a verb meaning to finish

24a    Cuts affairs after hotel broadcast (7)
{HAIRDOS} – these cuts or styles are derived from some affairs after H(otel) and a three-letter verb meaning to broadcast

25a    Be left rebuilding their following at home (7)
{INHERIT} – to get this verb meaning to be left some money in a will put an anagram (rebuilding) of THEIR after a word meaning at home

26a    Try to find and understand source of knowledge (4)
(SEEK} – a verb meaning to understand or get followed by the initial letter (source) of K[nowledge]

27a    Rocker attached to musical game played with string (4-6)
{CAT’S CRADLE} – a small bed that rocks follows (attached to) a stage musical

1d    Black and blue from knock (4)
{BLOW} – B(lack) followed by an adjective meaning blue or depressed

2d    Thesis supporting working — in theory (2,5)
{ON PAPER} – a thesis or essay preceded by (supporting in a down clue) a two-letter word meaning working

3d    Fair start to day — is most of Bury relaxed? (13)
{DISINTERESTED} – to get this adjective meaning fair or neutral, the initial letter of (start to) D[ay] is followed by IS, most of a verb meaning to bury and a verb meaning relaxed

4d    Veteran‘s second-hand watch? (3-5)
{OLD-TIMER} – cryptically this could be a second-hand watch

5d    Looking at, for example, incorporating Chinese principle (5)
{EYING} – the Latin abbreviation of “for example” around (incorporating) a Chinese principle

7d    Herb‘s terrible anger, wearing glasses (7)
{OREGANO} – an anagram (terrible) of ANGER inside (wearing) the two letters that look like a pair of spectacles

8d    Are its pies cooked in France? (10)
{PATISSERIE} – an anagram (cooked) of ARE ITS PIES gives the French shop which might bake its pies

11d    In-form professional? (13)
{SCHOOLTEACHER} – a cryptic definition of a professional who works in a form or classroom

13d    Focuses on insults about belly (10)
{SPOTLIGHTS} – some insults around a slang word for the belly

16d    Approves, provided one is included in charges (8)
{RATIFIES} – the usual two-letter word meaning provided and I (one) inside some charges or fees

18d    Type of story found in part of garden magazine? (7)
{BEDTIME} – part of a garden followed by a US magazine

20d    Maintained the Bible was wrong (7)
{AVERRED} – the abbreviation for the Authorised Version of the Bible followed by a verb meaning was wrong

22d    Perhaps Jamaican artist comes across a way (5)
{RASTA} – the usual artist around the A from the clue and the abbreviation for a way or road

23d    Last year’s problem affecting viewer (4)
{STYE} – hidden (‘s / belong to) inside the clue

I’ll be leaving shortly to go to the Sloggers and Betters meeting in Wapping, London (see sticky post at the top of the blog} and hope to be able to meet up with some of you there.

The Quick crossword pun: (junk} + {shuns} = {junctions}

1. Dave Hartley
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 9:41 am | Permalink

That was what the dog is about to get.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I agree with 2* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    I got a bit held up with my last few – they were all in the bottom left corner and each one of them affected at least one of the others. Not ideal.
    I liked 12 and 19a and 8d. My favourite was 27a – just one today – no more of this sitting on the fence malarkey.
    With thanks to Jay and BD.
    I hope that all of you who are going to Wapping have fun and behave nicely! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Straightforward, I thought. Several I liked…1A, 21A, 24A and 8D…but no favorites. thanks to BD for the review and to the setter.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I agree with the above; straightforward but enjoyable. Thanks to Jay and to BD.

I hope it’s not just me who thought the toughie was tough today (very good though!).

• Expat Chris
      Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

The toughie is putting up a real fight!

Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I think the Toughie has already defeated me – I’ve done seven. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• Expat Chris
          Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Don’t give up yet! It’s slow going for me, but I’m getting there bit by bit.

• Heno
          Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

That’s 6 more than me. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

5. Bluebird
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I agree with the ** rating. Got all bar two,, 14a and 16d, then needed to wrestle.

Anybody remember the exchange in A Touch of Class between Glenda Jackson and the lady of the night who lived upstairs in Berwick St?
    GJ: Do you have oregano?
    LN (looking shocked): No, dear, I have a check up every month.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Love it!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• andy
      Posted May 15, 2014 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Donk in the Indy had a take on the herb last year I think, something like, “Leaves range, shot between balls.”

Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

3*/3* for me today. I got badly held up by the interlinked 13d, 14a & 24a, and I needed BD’s assistance to parse my answer for for 12a. Good fun though.

Many thanks to Jay and to BD.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Those were the ones that held me up too – interlinked is a far better way of putting it though!

Posted May 14, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Terribly quiet here today – surely you haven’t all gone to Wapping – I feel a bit like Billy-no-mates. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

8. Argibbo
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Ratified last one in for me. Brain fade! Had to resort to mechanical solving to get it.
    Cheers
    Dave

9. SheilaP
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

This was one of those puzzles which start off looking reasonably do-able, but then have one or two sneaky little difficult ones, which require assistance, just to stop us becoming complacent. The bottom left hand corner took us the longest time. Thank you to the setter and to BD.

10. skempie
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Late on parade today – my apologies, but felt that I need to get some laundry done as I’m running out of socks.

No real problems today except that I had to do it all in little bite sized chunks which means that you have to keep kick starting the old grey matter each time.

Favourite today has to be 21A – very clever I thought.

I was a little abrupt yesterday as I had to go to the Bristol Hippodrome to be presented with a guitar I’d won – Gibson Les Paul no less. The price tag was still on it – £315.00 so not to be sniffed at. Unfortunately getting it home was a bit tricky as I went back to the car only to find that the road was taped off because someone had decided to jump from the top of the car park – put rather a damper on the day.

Has anyone got a spare copy of Burt Weedon’s Play In A Day ?

• Una
      Posted May 14, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

I’ll bet they put a dent in the tarmac too ! Really Skempie , you had a detour because someone couldn’t face another day !

• skempie
        Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Thing is Una, I don’t walk very well – maybe 200 metres then I have to rest for 5 to 10 minutes I’d already stopped 3 times when I found out the road was closed and then had nearly 1/2 a mile to walk around the block to do the last 100 yards.

Oh, and they actually missed the road, but I suspect they cracked some paving slabs

• Una
          Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Sorry , Skempie , I guess the old 11d in me keeps erupting.I had walking difficulties (flat feet) a while ago and every step was punishing.My arches are still fallen but physiotherapy got rid of the pain etc. I just assumed you were driving.Congrats on winning the guitar.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

My sympathies are with you one hundred percent. I wish I could walk 200 metres, my limit is one turn round the supermarket and then I’m pretty well shot for the day. That’s why I have the pool, I can go in there every day to prevent my muscles totally packing up.

• Una
            Posted May 14, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Golly , Merusa, that’s very restricting.But you don’t seem to let it get you down.I hope you are still driving.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Yes, thank goodness, driving doesn’t bother me. I have an appointment with the neurologist on Friday, they are trying to find out why.

• Una
                Posted May 14, 2014 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Why what ? Why you are still driving or why walking takes it out of you ?

• Bluebird
      Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

What an unnerving day……

That price is very low for a Gibson. Has it ever been played? Sounds like a great few months ahead for you. Were you joking about Bert W?
      Or are you an actual beginner?
      If so, why not try YouTube? Hours of fun to be had on their tutorials and it’s all FREE!

• skempie
        Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I used to play a bass (badly) 40 years ago, so yes, I’m an absolute beginner. Guitar has never been played (I haven’t even strummed it yet), the price is on the sales receipt (thoughtfully provided), looking on the Epiphone web page the asking price is £380.00 although on another site its going for £1,999.00 so your guess is as good as mine. Only question is do I splash out on a small amp and try and teach myself to play it, find a relative who wants to buy it or put it on e-bay?

• skempie
          Posted May 14, 2014 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

If I know how, I’d stick a photo on here (think I prefer it to pigs)(unless they’re cured and fried and put in a sarnie)

• Bluebird
            Posted May 14, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Oh yes, that makes sense – epiphone is made by Gibson, but in the Far East, as opposed to U S. Good choice for a beginner..

Why not get a practice amp and give it a year? If you’re not enjoying it then you can sell it to a teenager through a local school or youth club.

• skempie
              Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

Good idea

• Expat Chris
          Posted May 14, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Skempie, check out Chord Buddy on the internet. I saw this guy present this on Shark Tank, an American show for budding entrepreneurs. It’s an amazing learning tool and apparently is wildly successful. If it interests you, it should be available on to order on Amazon or somewhere like that.

• skempie
            Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Will give it a shot, thanks

• Una
          Posted May 14, 2014 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Maybe the price tag was from years ago ?

• skempie
            Posted May 14, 2014 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

not exactly years, more like last month (20th)

Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Straight forward and I have no objection to visiting a few old friends. Still enjoyable.Thanks Jay and BD.

12. Kfb
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

OK today so **/*** from me .

Off to Crete tomorrow and hope wi fi keeps me in touch .

Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to Big Dave for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle, would agree with the difficulty, but great fun. Was 2*/4* for me. Favourite was 12a. Took ages to get 24a, and last in was 1d. Completed sitting by the duck pond, think the weather’s on the turn at last.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Great fun today, very enjoyable. Best clue for me was 12a with an honourable mention for 24a. 20d puzzled me, I assume AV must mean authorised version, is this a common term for the Bible?
    Thx to all.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Yes – AV is Authorised Version – the translation of the Bible authorised by King James I. The other abbreviation for Bible to look out for is RV (Revised Version).

Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle, only real difficulties were in the bottom RH side. I didn’t know that AV referred to The Bible, a quick google solved that. I fixated on inhabit for 25a, who knows why as it certainly didn’t fit in with much, and 16d took ages. Other than that, a very entertaining morning’s work. Favourite has to be 27a with honourable mention to 12a, 15a and 8d. Thanks to setter and BD for review. Have fun in Wapping.

16. Angel
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Great entertainment – thanks Jay and BD. A more appropriate description for 24a might possibly have been styles as they are not necessarily cuts as indicated by BD. 13d amused and 27a took me back. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

17. Annidrum
    Posted May 14, 2014 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

24a was the one that got me. Other than that I seemed to be on Jay’s wavelength. Enjoyable puzzle .,thanks Jay& B D for review.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

The usual high quality Wednesday puzzle that we enjoyed solving. Did not hold us up for long which was a good thing as the Toughie needed more than its share of time.
    Thanks Jay and BD.

Posted May 14, 2014 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Came to this after a long day in the boat, via a very short (and unproductive) look at the Toughie. This is much easier, but still more like 3* than 2* by my reckoning. Some very good clues, my favourite being 20d. I’m grateful to Jay for rounding off a good day so satisfyingly, and to Big Dave for the review and hints.

20. Tstrummer
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 1:17 am | Permalink

No problems with this, and some enjoyable clues to untangle. 24a was my last one in and my favourite once I twigged. 2*/3*. Sorry I couldn’t make it to the Town of Ramsgate today, even though I work just around the corner. Work got in the way of pleasure once again. Sigh. Thanks to Jay and BD, as ever

21. Cornishpasty
    Posted May 15, 2014 at 4:35 am | Permalink

First time in weeks that we needed a hint, for 14a.

22. Catnap
    Posted May 19, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

This was a very fine puzzle to which I couldn’t do full justice. All went well until I had five left to complete. There I stuck and needed help for four of them. Absolute fave was 27d, and I also much liked 12a.

Many thanks to Jay and to Big Dave for the badly needed explanations.