Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

This seemed all very straightforward to me. What did you think?

If you want to see an answer you’ll need to highlight the hidden bits between the curly brackets under the clue. If you’re using an I-whatsit there is some help on how to do this in the FAQ.

Across Clues

5a  Passionate Moor murdered in Australia (7)
{AMOROUS} – an anagram (murdered) of MOOR inside a 3-letter abbreviation for Australia.

7a  Modest receiving second prize (5)
{PURSE} – an adjective meaning modest or chaste containing S(econd).

9a  French local in British college (6)
{BRETON} – a charade of the 2-letter abbreviation for British and the college in Berkshire attended by David Cameron and most of his chums in government.

10a  Witticism about English vessel (3-5)
{ONE-LINER} – string together a 2-letter preposition meaning about or concerning, E(nglish) and a passenger-carrying vessel.

11a  The Romans’ Chester declared ruined (10)
{DEVASTATED} – a charade of the Roman name for Chester and a verb meaning declared. One-time Conservative MP for Chester Gyles Brandreth reportedly said, but only after he’d lost the seat in the 1997 election, “Happiness is the constituency in the rear-view mirror”.

13a  Boundary taken back by a military alliance (4)
{AXIS} – this word for a military alliance was used in WWII to describe the Germany/Italy pact. Reverse the score in cricket for a shot clearing the boundary and append it to A (in the clue).

14a  I have indecent comic book (5,2,6)
{DEATH IN VENICE} – an anagram (comic) of I HAVE INDECENT gives us the Thomas Mann novel which was made into a film starring Dirk Bogarde.

16a  Element of skill on piano (4)
{PART} – a word meaning skill or craft is appended (on, in an across clue) to P(iano).

17a  Good scientist, almost an epicure (10)
{GASTRONOME} – G(ood) followed by a scientist without the final R (almost).

19a  Horrible urge to break a few (8)
{GRUESOME} – an anagram (to break) of URGE is followed by a word meaning a few.

20a  Green permit stuck on front of cab (6)
{CALLOW} – green here means inexperienced or naive. A verb to permit follows the first letter of C(ab).

22a  Servant passing round company wine (5)
{MÂCON} – a male servant contains the abbreviation for company.

23a  Hear about mature type of play (7)
{TRAGEDY} – put a verb meaning to hear (a case, as a judge) around an adjective meaning mature or advanced in years.

Down Clues

1d  Bishop abroad for a spell (4)
{BOUT} – the abbreviation for bishop in chess notation is followed by an adverb meaning abroad or away from home.

2d  Highest score, first-class (3-5)
{TOP-NOTCH} – a charade of an adjective meaning highest and a score or groove.

3d  Add a couple of pages to finish (6)
{APPEND} – A (from the clue) followed by two abbreviations for P(age) and a verb to finish.

4d  Admission to ministry after row interrupted speech (10)
{ORDINATION} – a row or loud noise goes inside a speech.

5d  Decide a European king needs to be deposed (5)
{AGREE} – A (from the clue) followed by a southern European without his or her final K(ing).

6d  Brandy, perhaps, with dessert — nice while it lasts (5,3,5)
{SHORT AND SWEET} – string together what brandy is an example of, a linking word (with) and another word for dessert or pudding.

8d  Recluse before getting widow’s money? (7)
{EREMITE} – a poetic word meaning before is followed by the small coin (as described in the Authorised Version of the Bible) which the poor widow contributed in the temple.

12d  Attach rest in circulation with some difficulty (2,1,7)
{AT A STRETCH} – an anagram (in circulation) of ATTACH REST.

14d  Sarcastic remark about a zodiac sign in chart (7)
{DIAGRAM} – a sarcastic or snide remark contains A, then add the animal that’s used to represent the first sign of the zodiac, Aries.

15d  Car route confused Brussels administrator? (8)
{EUROCRAT} – an anagram (confused) of CAR ROUTE.

17d  Glider’s beginning to circle stadium (6)
{GROUND} – the first letter of G(lider) followed by a circle or ring.

18d  Temperamental daughter seen in low comedy, ultimately (5)
{MOODY} – put the abbreviation for D(aughter) between a verb to low and the ultimate letter of (comed)Y.

21d  German’s song  told a story (4)
{LIED} – two definitions – the German word for song and a verb meaning told an untrue story.

My favourite clue today was 6d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {WHORLS} + {TREAT} = {WALL STREET}

1. Michael Turvil
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Thanks for the explanation of 5D, Gazza. I knew what the answer was, but couldn’t fathom out the wordplay.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Michael,
      Your comment needed moderation because you’ve expanded your alias. Both aliases should work from now on.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Thanks to Mr.Ron and to Gazza for the review and hints. Very much plainsailing, only had to Google the Roman name for Chester, last in was 5d. Favourite was 17a, but iI seem to remember it cropping up a few times. Was 1*/3* for me. Light rain in central London.

3. banksie
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Well, i needed that. Struggled with Saturday and a little yesterday. This has restored a little of my fragile confidence. Is that how it goes, generally?

Never heard of 8D so BD and Gazza have enlightened me once again.

Many thanks both

Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Thank you setter – about my level ! Enjoyed it and hasn’t taken me all morning. Thanks Gazza for your review and hints. I must admit that I didn’t know the latin name for Chester, but the answer seemed rather obvious.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:22 am | Permalink

When I first started this one I thought it was going to be difficult but then got going and it wasn’t. I agree with 2* difficulty and 3+ a bit for enjoyment.
    I got into a muddle trying to understand 5d which was silly – thought the king was GR which left me with a couple of spare E’s.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif
    I know there is a Roman name for Chester but can never remember what it is when I need it – got there in the end.
    13a was my last one in – blasted cricket!
    I liked 14a and 2 and 18d. Favourite was 6d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and gazza.
    Raining – might have a go at the Toughie but I can’t remember if Shamus Toughies are beyond me . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

The Shamus Toughie today is definitely not beyond you.

• BigBoab
      Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Kath, it is worth a go, Ifound it quite tricky but very doable.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks gazza and BB – still raining in Oxford – going to move some logs around and then try Toughie as a reward.

• mary
        Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Lovely day here today but rain promised later

Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

. . . still raining.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

6. BigBoab
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword with no real difficulties, thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the usual excellent review.

7. Angel
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Not one of my favourites but managed apart from two elementary answers viz 9a and 13a for which I needed guidance. Couldn’t fathom what to put in front of college and overlooked cricket association – silly me! Thanks Mr. Ron and Gazza. **/**. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

8. Bluebird
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

It was like coming down a nice shiny slide and then hitting a little twig. That was 8d.

I don’t mind an obscurity in either the solution word or a clue word, but not both!!

I was desperate to get in Othello for 5a, but it was not to be…….

9. skempie
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

No big problems today although it did take me a while to work out the anagram in 14A – for some reason, I just couldn’t see it at all for ages – when it did finally click into place, it led me to 14D and the completion. I also took a while remembering the Roman name for Chester, then some schooling from around ’66 popped into the brain cells – remarkable bit of kit that, I just more people would use it…..

No real favourites again today. Looks like its about to chuck it down

10. Chris T Heswall
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this very much as I didn’t need any clues or hints. Favourite was 8d as I recalled the word from previous puzzles. Least liked was 11a as I worked in Chester in a job I least enjoyed! Thanks to setter and to BD for this amazing site.

11. Graham Wall
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Not too bad this one. I have been unable to visit crosswordland for a couple of days and this was a pleasant welcome back. I did need the blog for a couple of clues but otherwise not too difficult. Took me ages to get 23A, maybe my brain was rusty. Many thanks to Gazza for the review.

12. Graham
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Found this rather hard going, but not surprising as my heart wasn’t in it today we had a very traumatic night where we had to rush our much loved corgi to the vets, sadly his time was up & he went to sleep at around midnight he was a good loyal companion & will be sadly missed.Thanks to Gazza for the review much needed.

• BigBoab
      Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Sorry for your loss Graham, I had the same experience some years ago with our American cocker spaniel and have still been unable to face the prospect of owning another dog since.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – poor you – sending e-sympathy and a little flower. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• mary
      Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear that Graham, it’s so hard, we had to have our little dog ‘Angel’ put to sleep just over a year ago and now we are facing the very same decision with her sister ‘Shadow’ it’s heartbreaking I know http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

My deepest sympathies, the most traumatic thing is losing a beloved companion. Please get another one, there are so many that need homes.

13. steve_the_beard
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Wow, a new personal best by quite a margin! 6D indeed :-) So, that just leaves the Toughie to take with me to this afternoon’s dental surgery :-(

14. mary
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Hi all, not done this yet, just to say won’t be around much this week, got visitors, and to remind Kath that I still have five credits!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Toni
      Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

You’ll have even more by the end of the week.. If she allows it,

Posted March 25, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – I can see that bad behaviour is being encouraged. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Toni
          Posted March 25, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

The natives are revolting!!!

Posted March 25, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

They certainly are – absolutely revolting!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Toni
              Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Steady now,

Posted March 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

Might allow you to hang on to a couple of your credits as a reward for filling in the paperwork required for time off. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

15. Catherine
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Good puzzle today, not too hard but definitely had to do some thinking to solve it. Remembered the widow’s money from a past puzzle but I thank Gazza for the enlightenment re 12a. I have never even seen a game of cricket and yet I am accumulating a fair bit of random cricket terminology.
    Thanks again Gazza and thanks to the setter.
    Still extremely cold here and my garden is still buried under at least 2 feet of snow!

• skempie
      Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

This might help you understand cricket a bit more :

The Rules of Cricket (as explained to any visitor from a non-cricket playing country) :

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
      Each man that’s in the side that’s in goes out, and when he’s out he comes in and the next man goes in until he’s out.
      When they are all out, the side that’s out comes in and the side that’s been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.
      There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out.
      When both sides have been in and all the men have out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

See, its all quite easy.
      Actually, its a lovely way to spend a summer’s day, sat in a field near a pub or pavilion selling beer (and/or tea) watching the game and occasionally filling in another answer or two in the DT crossword. It is advised that a newcomer goes to see a village game first rather than an international (everything is much less frantic) and avoids Australians at all cost (or wear some seriously good earplugs).

• Manuela
        Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you skempie! Cricket baffles me but you made me smile … Reminded me of asterix and obelix trying to work out old English money versus roman money!!

• Una
        Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:42 pm | Permalink

Well, thanks for that, now all is clear !

Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I agree with Gazza both regarding the rating 2*/3* and 6d as my favourite.

8d was a new word for me but easily derived from the wordplay.

I love cricket unlike Kath, who clearly doesn’t; but, like Kath, 13a was my last one in :sad:

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

17. Owdoo
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Not too hard but needed some thought and the clue to 8d rang a bell for me too. Unlike Catherine though, most frustratingly I just couldn’t remember the coin. Very annoying (given that I was only missing two letters) and I had to resort to going through the alphabet in my head to trigger the recall. Not a very satisfying end to the solve, but an enjoyable puzzle nonetheless. 2.5*/3*

Thanks setter and Gazza.

• Owdoo
      Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

Next time that coin comes up, if I say it out loud I might remember it. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

18. Robin
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Chester FC play at the Deva Stadium. An easy clue for football fans.

19. Manuela
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Loved this one! Enough anagrams to keep me interested with general knowledge gaps filled by the dictionary! Thought 21d particularly good as only my German o’level helped! Still needed anagram help from you … 18d had me stumped for a while as did 5d so thank you for those tips, also 11a!! Yahoo getting the hang of this … Apologies to those who haven’t. I remember how annoying those yawn icons are!!!

Posted March 25, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Took me a while to get pure from modest but cricket and football clues today, excellent. Shame about the T20,

21. SheilaP
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable puzzle which took a bit of working out & some help from Gazza. We’ve had some really nice weather here in Scarborough, especially in the early morning when we take our dogs to our local woods, cold & frosty, but bright & sunny. Thank you to the setter & to Gazza.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

We needed a bit of investigoogling to discover the link between Deva and Chester to justify our answer, but it all went together smoothly. Remarkably short clues, only one stretched to as many as 8 words, emulating the RayT pattern although we’re sure he is not the setter. An enjoyable solve.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

23. After 10pm
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

A fairly easy solve today though I needed the hints for the explanation of 8d. Thanks Gazza. I’m not sure of the significance of the question mark in this clue however.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

I didn’t think it was all that easy at the beginning but I picked up speed along the way.Favourite 6d.Thanks to the setter and Gazza for a clear review, especially 5d.

25. Sarah F
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

Late getting at this today, and needed a few hints but enjoyable and interesting. Thanks to setter and to Gaza.

Posted March 25, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

A jolly little crossie (2*/3* for me) which happily filled half an hour or so. My favourite was 6a, but only because it reminded me of my wife! Thanks to the Mysteron, and to Gazza.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 26, 2014 at 12:30 am | Permalink

There ain’t a 6ac. 5ac is your wife. Same as mine. 6d fits her too

27. tiny dave
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Yes a steady little offering today, although 8d had to be dragged from my passive vocabulary. Like many others with 5d thought of the king as GR, so couldn’t understand the wordplay, especially as for me the answer is rather a tenuous synonym of “decide”.

28. Ginny
    Posted March 26, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed every one of these clues, particularly 6d, apart from 13a which I had to look up.
    Many thanks to you and the setter for one that I could actually do, with minimal help from the blog comments. ps. Gazza could I please adopt this alias? I had to create the 555 version to register on the site. Thanks.

Posted March 26, 2014 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Hi Ginny,
      Your new alias will work from now on.

• Ginny
        Posted March 27, 2014 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Thank you!

• Posted March 27, 2014 at 9:08 am | Permalink

I’ve amended your earlier comments, but I don’t understand why you had to add a suffix as you don’t have to register in order to leave comments. Your first comment is moderated so as to prevent spammers from using the site (quite a few are trapped every day).

• Ginny
            Posted March 27, 2014 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Hi Dave, thanks. Yes, you did tell me that it isn’t necessary to register with the site in order to comment.

29. Tstrummer
    Posted March 27, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

A gentle stroll this one with a couple of smiles along the way. Particularly enjoyed 6d and 14a. Thanks to Gazza and the setter. 1*/3*