Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment ***

A gentle start to the week and a clear blue sky here in Downtown LI. Perfectamonday methinks.

1a    They may be seen at the courts, practising (10)
{BARRISTERS} These blokes wear wigs made of 100% horsehair which have a frizzed crown below which are four rows of seven curls.

9a    Growl when shaver is returned with middle part missing (4)
{ROAR} A shaving implement with the middle letter removed and the remaining letters inverted (returned)

10a    A single? Mid off is not clear (10)
{MISLEADING} Todays first anagram (off) of A SINGLE MID

11a    Shade of nun seen round a religious establishment (6)
{NUANCE}. A subtle difference in meaning. Place the word NUN around A from the clue and follow that with the abbreviation for the Church of England.

12a    Fancy  a Lennon song (7)
{IMAGINE}. John Lennon’s most famous and best-selling song. I prefer this one.

15a    It receives indication a doctor is required (7)
{BLEEPER} A small portable electronic device which emits a series of high-pitched sounds when someone wants to contact the wearer.

16a    Declares a piece of poetry interminably (5)
{AVERS} To state or assert a case. The A from the clue and a group of lines that form a unit in a poem or song with the final letter removed (interminably)

17a    Experts in digitally recorded evidence (4)
{DABS} A slang term for last weeks 28ac or a term meaning a group of experts or {DAB} hands. It is also a fish if you want a third definition.

18a    Cover for American gangster (4)
{HOOD} And another double definition the first being for your head perhaps.

19a    Work to make some dough (5)
{KNEAD} What one does with dough when breadmaking

21a    Birds I hide in ship (7)
{SISKINS} On March 18th this bird appeared in both the cryptic and the quickie puzzles. Place the letter I from the clue and a word meaning hide or pelt inside the usual abbreviation for a Steamship or Liner

22a    Ruined roof end in need of repair (4,3)
{DONE FOR} Anagram (in need of repair) of ROOF END

24a    Organiser of musical group that is on the way (6)
{ROADIE} The Latin abbreviation for “that is” on the end of a word for way as in street or lane will give you the name for the chap who used to irritate the hell out of me by leaning into every microphone on stage and repeatedly saying “one two one two”

27a    Team results not the main topics of conversation (4,6)
{SIDE ISSUES} A team followed by some results. The definition being subjects that are connected to the main subject of a discussion but are secondary to the topic

28a    Cupid has painful back (4)
{EROS} The Greek god of love found by reversing (back) a word meaning painful

29a    Worried speculator transfers shares (7,3)
{PARCELS OUT} A superb and unexpected anagram (worried) of SPECULATOR

2d    Song and a soaring tune (4)
{ARIA} An operatic song formed by placing the reversal of (soaring) a three letter word for a tune after the letter A from the clue.

3d    One way of underlining  decision (6)
{RULING} A nice double definition, the second being an authoritative decision or pronouncement, especially one made by a judge.

4d    Power switch at mains (7)
{STAMINA} Anagram four (switch) of AT MAINS

5d    Prepare to put out with rising tide (4)
{EDIT} In this clue the word rising asks us to invert the word TIDE. Simple

6d    Without speaking, communicates: ‘Exceptional spades’ (7)
{SIGNALS} Big Dave says “Take an adjective meaning exceptional and add the S from (S)pades”

7d    Perfect demonstration of being impervious to noise (10)
{SOUNDPROOF} Split as (5,5) this could be a perfect demonstration or verification. The definition is an adjective meaning preventing, or constructed of material that prevents, the passage of sound.

8d    Business, he thinks, should not be a matter of duty (4-6)
{FREE-TRADER} One who believes in buying and sell between nations without protective customs tariffs.

12d    Big banker experiments in commercial enterprises (10)
{INDUSTRIES} Take the major river (banker) that flows through Tibet, Northern India and Pakistan and add the plural noun for a word meaning an effort to accomplish something or an attempt to give a longer word meaning economic activities concerned with the processing of raw materials and manufacture of goods in factories. (Whew, that was tiresome)

13d    As a diplomat he is seen in capitals (10)
{AMBASSADOR} An accredited diplomat sent by a state as its permanent representative in a foreign country usually situated in the host countries capital city is often abbreviated to HE (he … in capitals)

14d    Level betting for the first woman to get two points (5)
{EVENS} A betting term. The first woman on earth with two compass points.

15d    Money for being raised hand-to-mouth? (5)
{BREAD} A slang term for money and a homophone for being raised.

19d    High after joints in wild party (5-2)
{KNEES-UP} A shindig or a hooley made by combining ones leg joints with a word meaning high (or at university)

20d    Rodents carry out unusual crime (7)
{DORMICE} Unlike most Rodents these are considered to be cute. Take a verb meaning to perform an action (carry out) and add an anagram (unusual) of CRIME

23d    Strange noises in Greek/Cypriot union (6)
{ENOSIS} Today’s new word. Anagram (strange) of NOISES

25d    River that’s Polishor German (4)
{ODER} The German word for “or” is also the name of a river that flows through Poland

26d    Be a university lover (4)
{BEAU} Co-incidentally this word is hidden in the clue. However you need to take the BE and the A from the clue and add the abbreviation for U(niversity) to find the one time dream lover of your lifetime.

Thanks to my old mate Robert Plant and Alison Krauss for the musical accompaniment today.

The Quick crossword pun: (kernel} + {bogie} = {Colonel Bogey}

1. Roland
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

The usual enjoyable start to the week from Rufus.
    Thanks for the review MP. Just a couple of things:
    13d refers to he in capitals – HE being short for His Excellency which is the title used when addressing an Ambassador.
    22a – the anagram is of ROOF END.
    Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Well spotted Roland. I completely missed the HE in the question for 13d. 22ac I will just put down to idiocy. Thanks

• stanXYZ
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

13d – How wrong can one be?

Initially, I thought it was a rather weak cryptic definition … but now that HE has been explained … Brilliant!

2. Shropshirelad
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

Virtually a read and write in today, which is unusual for me with a Rufus puzzle. So definitely a */***. Favourite clue was 12dhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Shropshirelad
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

What am I thinking of, thanks of course for the review Miffypops and the puzzle Rufus.

3. Graham
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Agree nice easy start to weeks entertainment, 23D was also a new wordbut easily solved.Many thanks to the setter & miffypops for the review not needed today.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Don’t quite get 17a, why digitally recorded? Is this a reference to DAB as in digital radio? In which case shouldn’t it be digitally broadcast? Just a minor point.

• Roland
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

Hi Brian,
      It refers to dabs being fingerprints. Finger = digit, etc.

• Expat Chris
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Digits as in fingers, I think.

• Patsyann
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

The digits are fingers

5. skempie
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

very gentle start to the week. After the first pass of the across clues, I had three missing ! Having said that, I felt that some of the clues were among Rufus’ best so very difficult to select a favourite, but I think I’ll go for 11A.

Miffy – Where’s the bacon gone? You promised!

6. SheilaP
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Usual enjoyable Monday puzzle which we managed without recourse to the hints, so it’s a**/**** for us today. Thank you setter & Miffypops. What a ridiculous finish to England’s 20/20 cricket game against NZ. Duckworth Lewis doesn’t work in this format IMHO.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Not too many problems today so probably a bit more than 1* difficulty and 4* for enjoyment.
    Having finally got 23d I think I have heard of it but had forgotten it.
    My German is absolutely non-existent so I didn’t know that ‘oder’ is ‘or’ but that makes it even more clever as the Oder also forms part of the German-Polish border.
    I was stupidly slow with 15a – it’s something that rules our lives but, in Oxford anyway, they’re always called ‘bleeps’ not ‘bleepers’.
    I liked 17 and 29a and 13 and 25d – my favourite is one of these but I haven’t yet decided which it’s going to be.
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

• Toni
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Well I had blister, that needs a doctor sometimes!
      My daughter’ same doctor, she calls them bleeps.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Where does your daughter work and what stage is she at?

• Toni
          Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

It’s complicated. After her two foundation years in Bolton she decided to apply for a training post in paediatric surgery and did two years of that in Nottingham where we live. Towards the end of her training she got married. When you apply to be a registrar in surgery they can send you anywhere in the country for six months at a time for five years. She preferred to live with her husband in Manchester
          So she’s now halfway through her GP training. She’s still a member of the Royal College of Surgeons so presumebably will be able to do surgery in a GP’s surgery. She’s based at Salford Royal at the moment.

• Heno
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Ever heard of Dr. Bleeper in Caddyshack? :-)

Posted March 24, 2014 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

No . . . ? Should I have done?

• Heno
          Posted March 25, 2014 at 10:58 am | Permalink

It was an American comedy about golf, and Dr Bleepers bleeper kept bleeping when he was trying to play. When I worked for BT, we called them pagers, but used to say “bleep the engineer”. Perhaps Bleeper is the American version?

Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

No wonder I haven’t heard of it! I have to confess that I think American comedy is an oxymoron and putting it with golf is really going too far for me.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Heno
              Posted March 25, 2014 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

I agree, but every now and then the Americans come up with something very funny that isn’t mainstream. In this case though, you would’ve needed to have played golf to find Caddyshack funny. I only mentioned it because it really fitted the discussion about bleeps, bleepers, pagers etc :-)

8. Dave Hartley
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Is that the first time that knowledge of a bit of Polish has been used in a clue? Obviously it had to be Oder, but the logic was definately beyond my linguistic range. What next, a smattering of Walloon?

• skempie
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I’m not a Polish speaker (or German, really), but I do know that ‘oder’ is German for ‘or’ (and possibly Irish as in ‘needer one ting oder other’). Do you have a problem with Walloon then ?

• Dave Hartley
        Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

My mistake. I misread the hint, and thought the word was Polish, not German. So the solution does stick to the normal format of assuming a knowledge of a few short words of the more prevalent european languages. My German is very poor, but looking at the clue again, I should have seen the clue from the answer, if you know what I mean. I have no problem with a bit of Walloon, or Polish, or Innuit for that matter. If they help bring plumbers, saxophone makers and ice fishermen to the party, so much the better.I feel they might be best restricted to the toughie for the time being though. Keep throwing down thge sword.

• Una
        Posted March 24, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

If it was Irish it would read “needer one ting odeh udder.”

9. angel
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Yes indeed, another Monday piece of cake but plenty of fun. **/**** Imagine Miffypops may not be in great demand today but from me thanks anyway for explanatory hints and also to Rufus for excellent supply of good clues including 21a and 13d. If anything is 22a is it not likely to be beyond repair?! http://bigdave44.com/wp-    **/****  **/****content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Roland
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Yes, I think the explanation for 22a should read, Anagram (in need of repair) of ROOF END, with the answer meaning ruined.

• Toni
      Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Is that not the anagram indicator.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

Posted March 24, 2014 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

I’ve slightly lost track of who is saying what here but, for what it’s worth, I think the definition in 22a is “ruined” and that the anagram indicator is “in need of repair” rather than the other way round.

• Posted March 24, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

I hope it’s all sorted now. I usually check more thoroughly before the blog gets published, but a visitor arrived just before I had finished. No such excuse with the HE, I missed it completely.

10. mary
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Miffypops, although I didn’t need the hints today I did need a couple of explanations, I struggled with this one at first unlike most people, so a two star at least for me, I liked a lot of the clues but once again no favourite (5 credits now Kath!) , a horrible, cold and now wet windy day here, ah well it is spring after all :-)

Posted March 24, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

When are you going to start using some of these credits? I think you should only be allowed to store them up for a month and then, if you haven’t used them, they’re all cancelled – that gives you a week, I reckon. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

11. BigBoab
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Miffypops for a fun crossword and review. Clear blue skies and bright sunshine up here on the East coast of Scotland.

12. Annidrum
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

No problems with that today, except I had never heard of 23d but with the checking letters it could only be what it was, so new word today …now to remember it! Thanks to Rufus & Miffipops.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus – good fun as usual and no real problems other than 23d which BRB clarified. Thanks MP for the review and hints. I don’t know how you have time to run the pub and do all this stuff !

Posted March 24, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

1*/4* rating.

I finished this early this morning but went out before the blog was published.

Even though it seemed straightforward I thought it was an absolutely splendid way to start the week with every clue a delight.

The answer to 21a is a bit like London buses. You have to wait for ages and then two come along in quick succession.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

15. Franny
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 5:17 pm | Permalink

Cold and wet here today. I had trouble getting up this morning and haven’t accomplished much so far — but did manage to do the crossword this morning. It seemed pretty tough at first, but then words fell into place. I was amused to see that finch yet again and my favourite clue was the ghostly nun at 11a. Many thanks to Miffypops and Rufus. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_mail.gif

Posted March 24, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

So we weren’t the only ones to miss the subtlety of 13d. We did think that it was a bit weak for Rufus until we read the explanation. We should not have doubted him and kept working at it. Good fun.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

Anudder very nice offering from Rufus and a great review from Miffypops.I needed your help for 12a. Tanks !

Posted March 24, 2014 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

HOW could you possibly need help for 12a? I’m not mocking you at all – just find it hard to believe that anyone didn’t get that instantly. In case you think that I’m being scathing – I’m really not so here’s a little flower http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• Una
        Posted March 24, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Permalink

I didn’t, I meant 12d.12a was of course a write-in.The mistake occured because I took the paddy- bashing a little bit to heart.Note to self, must grow thicker skin.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

18. pommers
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

1a is pretty poor IMO. SOLICITORS fits both the enumeration and the wordplay. Thought you weren’t supposed to have clues with two perfectly possible answers.

Otherwise pretty usual stuff from Rufus. */*** from us too.

Thanks to him and Miffypops.

BTW, his effort in the Grauniad didn’t put up much more of a fight. Not tried the Dante in the FT yet.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

My immediate thought for 1a was solicitors but, luckily, didn’t put it in having thought of the alternative.
      Lamb No 2 originally thought of doing Law at university – she ended up doing History. Last year she was called for jury service – she sent me a text saying that in some ways she wished she’d done Law as the barristers are such cool (quote) people but the wigs are “minging” so she wouldn’t want to wear one.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 9:11 pm | Permalink

A perfect start to the crossword week: quite gentle but entertaining nonetheless and l rate it at 1*/3*. Nice to see one of my favourite garden visitors at 21a (for the 3rd time in the last week or so). My last in was 11a, which is also my favourite. Thank you Rufus, and Miffypops for review and hints.

Posted March 24, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A very nice start to the week, no real problems, was 1*/3* for me. Favourite was 29a. Nice weather today in Central London.

21. Nah1024
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:10 am | Permalink

Hi, just wondering if anyone out there is using Crux for iPad? Since the website failure I haven’t been able to validate my Telegraph membership to download any puzzles. Have been using my email address and password for the Telegraph puzzles site, even tried my subscriber TS… number and the website password but no luck. Any ideas??? Really miss using Crux!

22. Tstrummer
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 1:56 am | Permalink

Lots of smiles here too. Thank you Rufus – and thanks too to MP for the blog and John Lennon. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him playing a National steel guitar before. Anyone know who that was playing the slide?

23. Owdoo
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Did this a day late. Very gentle until the final one in, 23d, which was a new word for me but it seemed the best fit for the non-checking letters left in the anagram so I’m counting that as an un-aided solve even thought it was a bit of a guess!

Thanks to the setter and to MP for the blog.

24. dormouse
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Have been following you all – and enjoying! – for many months. Only have time for the Monday cryptic. Thanks for all the tips and entertainment. Miffypops – love the piggies and family stories!

Posted March 25, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog dormouse.

• Miffypops
        Posted March 25, 2014 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Welcome from me too. I am glad you like my comments. I often wonder if they belong here but it is a very friendly place and the crossword does come first.

• andy
          Posted March 25, 2014 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Miffypops you do put the crossword first then your comments and repartee just add to the enjoyment of the blog. Cheers and thank you

25. Catnap
    Posted March 25, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

I admire Rufus puzzles but never find them easy! I enjoyed this one, but needed explanations for my answers to 6d and 13d. For 26d, I used the hidden word. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif And, to top it all, I missed the now obvious double definition in 18d.
    Thank you very much, Rufus, for an entertaining crossword. And thank you very much, Miffypops, for your most helpful and clear explanations.