Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Well done England! I plodded through this crossword at 5.30am accompanied by a marvellous dawn chorus. As usual a pleasant start to the week. I am going to The Cheltenham Festival tomorrow full of good intent which will last up until breakfast at 10.00am when the inevitable cry of “Twelve pints of bitter and three bottles of Champagne please” will be uttered. I fear the worst.

1a    Talk with female, the lady of the house (10)
{CHATELAINE} Take a four letter word meaning “to natter” and add a girl’s name to it to find a lady who owns or controls a large house.

6a    Not the gardener’s favourite little number (4)
{WEED} The Scottish word for small followed by the Roman Numeral for 500

10a    Turn to celebrity for backing (5)
{PIVOT} Reverse (turn) the word to from the clue and the abbreviation for Very Important Person to reveal a synonym of fulcrum

11a    Popular officer on the whole (2,7)
{IN GENERAL} The usual suspect for popular followed by a man of high military command

12a    Player given an awful roasting (8)
{ORGANIST} Anagram (awful) of ROASTING will give you one of Dr Albert Schweitzer many skills.

13a    Curbs straggling bushes (5)
{SCRUB} Our second anagram today (straggling) of CURBS

15a    Letter contains record set by one holy man ahead of the French (7)
{EPISTLE} An extended play record + I (one) our usual suspect for holy man + the in French

17a    Yet he still may play Shylock (7)
{EXACTOR} A retired or former thespian

19a    Foreign money invested in source of sugar and spice (7)
{CAYENNE} The Japanese currency placed inside (invested in) one of the plant sources from which sugar is extracted

21a    Eastern market may supply mongoose (7)
{MEERKAT} Anagram three. E(astern) MARKET will give you a thoroughly delightful little creature from the African deserts or an irritating advertisement gimmick. I prefer the former

22a    Describing a boom in the travel industry (5)
{SONIC} The boom made by a vehicle, usually an aeroplane as it passes through the sound barrier.

24a    Lady-killer? (8)
{HUNTRESS} A woman who hunts

27a    A client I’d made perfectly agreeable (9)
{IDENTICAL} Here we go then. Your weekly chance to educate me or catch me out. It is an anagram, (made) indicates as much. A CLIENT I’D is the fodder. How it equates to perfectly agreeable I am not convinced. I suppose if two things concur, oh dear, over to you.

28a    A fifty to one chance to be this inspired hermit (5)
{ALONE} A from the clue. The Roman Numeral for fifty. ONE from the clue will give a description of what a hermit is i.e. without company

29a    Born on the first of December in poverty (4)
{NEED} A woman’s maiden name followed by the first letter of D(ecember)

30a    One on his way to work a complete change? (5,5)
{CLEAN SWEEP} What a new broom will achieve or what Charles Kingsley’s character Tom might be after a good wash

1d    It’s not the original ape (4)
{COPY} To mimic

2d    Setback — very sad to get upset about it (9)
{ADVERSITY} Anagram (upset) of VERY SAD around (about) IT

3d    Run in next race (5)
{EXTRA} A hidden word meaning a run in cricket scored without the batsman touching the ball. Of the ten crosswords blogged so far this is only Rufus’s second hidden word unless he hides them so deviously I have failed to spot them. Go find it.

4d    What I am when one has one over the eight? (7)
{ASININE} A charade of a two letter word meaning when, I (one) from the clue and the number which follows eight should provide you with what you may become after drinking too much alcohol.

5d    The shift that is seen after dark (7)
{NIGHTIE} A shift as in a dress that is worn by some women in bed. The Latin abbreviation for “that is” after when it’s dark.

7d    Go astray or slip (5)
{ERROR} A three letter word meaning to go astray or be mistaken followed by OR from the clue

8d    Purposeful  muse (10)
{DELIBERATE} Our first double definition. The second being a verb meaning to consider something thoughtfully

9d    Anxious when visiting America? (2,1,5)
{IN A STATE} Wherever you were in the USA you would be in one of these. If you were anxious you would also be in one of these

14d    This section produces bangs, possibly supersonic (10)
{PERCUSSION} A clever anagram (possibly) of SUPERSONIC will give a section of an orchestra

16d    Yet it can provide firmness of purpose (8)
{TENACITY} Here we have another anagram (provide) of YET IT CAN

18d    Observes and steals money (5,4)
{TAKES NOTE} A double definition the second referring to the theft of paper money.

20d    Correct code used by a student (7)
{ETHICAL} A moral code followed by the A from the clue and student = L(earner)

21d    Off-colour article following piece in paper (7)
{MANILLA} an adjective meaning off-colour or unwell and the indefinite article after a piece on, for example, a chessboard

23d    Relative energy required to go through French city (5)
{NIECE} Your brother or sisters daughter is derived by putting E(nergy) inside (to go through) a French city

25d    Gathers in spare jumble (5)
{REAPS} Anagram (jumble) of SPARE

26d    Detain in a safe place (4)
{KEEP} A double definition. The safe place possibly referring to a part of a castle.

Thanks to Rufus for the entertainment. Thanks to Dimitri Shostakovich for the musical accompaniment. Piano Concerto No 1 for piano trumpet and strings. The sun has broken through. Have a nice day everybody.

The Quick crossword pun: (come} + {plea} + {meant} = {compliment}

Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Three in a row for me at 2*/3*. Many thanks to Rufus for today’s entertainment, which was great fun. Thanks too to MP for his as usual excellent review.

I made life difficult for myself on my first pass by putting murdress for 24a. This seemed to fit nicely but was a double whammy – the wrong spelling of the wrong answer :oops:. This in turn made 20d & 21d harder than they should have been. In any event 21d was a new spelling for me as I thought it had only one L, but my BRB gives the double L version as an alternative.

1a was a new word for me, but easily gettable from the clue and checking letters.

14d was a brilliant anagram and the surface reading of the clue was excellent. I felt it was a bit of a shame however that this clue sort of included the answer to 22a. That said I wouldn’t want to take away from the amazing skill of all the crossword setters by putting any additional restraints on them in that respect.

The inclusion of inspired in the clue for 28a puzzles me. Why is it there?

• skempie
      Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

re 28A : the word is made up from the Fifty to One part of the clue, it is the chance of being ***** that inspires the hermit, the chance and inspired has to be there so that a) the fifty to one chance part makes sense and b) to link in to the hermit.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks very much, Skempie. It never occured to me that inspired was being used here as a verb. D’oh!

2. skempie
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Quite enjoyable except for 21D – I had the answer but was unsure if it was correct, a Goggle search only brought up an alternative spelling for the capital of the Philippines, several towns or cities in Australia and the US and a West African bracelet.

I thought 30A was a wonderful clue

• Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink
      • skempie
        Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I checked that one BD – it promptly redirects to Manila_paper

• Posted March 10, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Alternative spelling – both are in Chambers

• skempie
            Posted March 10, 2014 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I guess, I’m just a both loath to buy a book that I’d use maybe four times a year

Posted March 10, 2014 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I use mine most days! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. Plain sailin, exc ept for 1a,which was a new one on me, last in, but obtained from the wordplay. Favourites were 4 & 14d. Was 2*/4* for me. Out for the day in sunny Deal.

Posted March 10, 2014 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

This was closer to a 3* difficulty for me and the same for enjoyment.
    My last three answers took longer than the whole of the rest of the crossword – all in the bottom right corner and each one that I couldn’t do affected one or both of the others – now that I’ve finally got them all I can’t see why I made such heavy weather of them. I do hope this isn’t a bad omen for the rest of the week.
    I liked 1 and 30a and 14d. My favourite was 6a as long as it stays in the crossword!
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

5. Beaver
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Was going for a*,but like Kath the SE corner took as long as the rest , so it has to be a **/***.Good start to the week,30a a touch of genius and14d best anagram for ages, I did’nt know 21 was a mongoose- will view the advert in a different light.

6. Senf
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Reasonably straightforward, just as well because until the end of the month puzzles will not be available until 8:00pm local time (we sprang forward over the weekend). This will make it a challenge to complete before lights out. Probably a **/*** – thanks to Rufus. Thanks to MP for the supporting photos etc, tasteful and in reasonable quantity as usual.

• skempie
      Posted March 10, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Lights out at 8:30 then ? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• Senf
        Posted March 10, 2014 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

8:45! Actually it’s a bit later, but she who must be obeyed expects me to do other things as well as solve a crossword.

7. Graham Wall
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable Monday offering which I would rate as **/*** thanks to Miffypops for his enjoyable review and I echo his sentiments for England. 1A was my favourites.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted March 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Yes indeed, well done England! And I am not referring to our woeful cricketers again.

8. George Speller
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed the Bach as much as the crossword.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 10, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

I am glad George. It was not showing on my computer but it is now. What an amazing man Dr Albert Schweitzer was.

• andy
      Posted March 10, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

You and me both, and huge thanks to Miffypops for reminding me of said Schweitzer. Interesting man that is for sure.

Posted March 10, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

As always, I enjoyed this Rufus. I seem to be on his wavelength. Many excellent clues, but I think 30a is streets ahead. Last in was 28a, needed the hint to know the why. Thank you Rufus for the usual enjoyment and M’pops for the review. Incidentally, haven’t you forgotten something M’pops? You did promise us a picture of the piggies, did you not?

• Miffypops
      Posted March 10, 2014 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

I did indeed but a technical hitch made the blog late and then the internet went down for an hour. Next week I promise (probably a video)

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted March 10, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Perhaps an excuse also to include the YouTube video of the Beatles’ track “Piggies” (complete with harpsichord accompaniment)?

Posted March 10, 2014 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus – one of your easier puzzles I thought, but good fun as always. Thanks MP for the review and hints.

11. Franny
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Great fun today and finished with no particular problems, although I’m grateful to Skempie for explaining 28a. Many thanks also to Rufus and Miffypops.

12. Collywobbles
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

A nice gentle start to the week with no real problem. Many thanks to MP for the hints which were very useful for reference purposes . Also thanks to the setter for a not too challenging puzzle but all the more enjoyable for that

Posted March 10, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

A couple of clues that took a bit of thinking about today, mainly in the SE corner. We, like Rabbit Dave had tried “murdress” as a first stab at 24a without realising that it is not a BRB word. Good fun.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

14. Owdoo
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

A gentle but entertaining start to the week. 30a and 14d both raised a smile. I think 14d won by a nose in the favourites stakes. 2*/3* for me. Thanks to the setter and Miffypops.

Posted March 10, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

A great puzzle from Rufus,I really liked 30a ,very amusing.11a appears in todays FT crosssword . Co- incidences ! Thanks to Rufus and good luck tomorrow Miffypops ! I never gamble, other than buying a lottery ticket now and then, so I won’t ask for any tips.

16. Angel
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 8:05 pm | Permalink

Unlike Miffypops for me there was no question of “plodding” thru this. Thanks Rufus, it was a perfect and enjoyable write-in for a busy Monday morning. */***. Joint favs (sorry Kath!) were 24a ad 30a. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted March 10, 2014 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Dear oh dear – I can see that I’m going to have to start wielding the big stick again. There are far too many people slipping back into bad habits. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif

• Only fools
      Posted March 11, 2014 at 12:46 am | Permalink

In fairness Angel at 5.30 in the morning a plod for me would be quite acceptable although I have no intention of proving the point .Usual fun and great surface readings although I did have to stare at 1a for a while .
      Cheers Rufus and MP .I prefer the Guinness tent .

17. Brendan
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

This was good fun – like others tried to make ‘murdress’ fit before realizing the error of my ways, and only noticed 14d. was an anagram when I came here. Thanks to Rufus an to Miffypops for an excellent review.

18. Whybird
    Posted March 10, 2014 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

Excellent stuff. Thanks Rufus! At the very gentle end for me, but I was lucky to see the more obscure clues fairly quickly given good checking letters. 14, 17 and 30 were my favourites. Thanks to Miffypops for the review. 12 pints of bitter and three bottles of Champagne sounds like a recipe for good morning at least, but what to drink in the afternoon?

Posted March 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this one. Not particularly stiff (a whisker over 2*, l thought) but lots of smiles. 30a was my favourite. Thanks to Rufus for a nice start to the crossie week, and to Miffypops for review and hints. Oh, and good luck at Prestbury Park!

20. Tstrummer
    Posted March 11, 2014 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable, apart from a couple of queries. Manila with an extra L? My BBB (Collins) doesn’t give this variation and that held me up and I needed MP’s hint to confirm my answer; and although I liked the clue for 30a, isn’t “a clean sheet” a complete change? A clean sweep, to me, means winning everything. I’ve never heard of it meaning change, although a new broom sweeps clean I suppose. 2*/3*

21. Mr Nice
    Posted March 11, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Very new to the DT cryptic,, very useful blog,,,,,Thank you

Posted March 11, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Mr Nice.