Hints and tips by Miffypops

BD Rating – Difficulty *Enjoyment **

Rufus has his benign hat on today. He took us to watch the world’s most boring sport but kindly allowed us to bring along a great novel and some fine poetry. He did let himself down by not providing any food but redeemed himself by bringing beer. I have a pig.

1a    Angry about sails getting wet (8)
{IRRIGATE} A five letter word meaning angry wrapped around a three letter sailing term for the sails and mast of a boat will provide a word meaning to artificially apply water to land or soil to assist in the growing of agricultural crops. Possibly the longest hint I have ever written.

6a    Means of raising a pound for a villainous fellow (6)
{JACKAL} A hoist maybe used to lift a car followed by a from the clue and the abbreviation for the monetary unit of England

9a    Indication of terrora hoot! (6)
{SCREAM} Doubly defined and very nicely done.

10a    Eat green fresh produce (8)
{GENERATE} Today’s first anagram (fresh) of EAT GREEN

11a    Negotiator‘s award displayed by leader of team (8)
{DIPLOMAT} A certificate awarded by an educational foundation followed by the first letter (leader) of team

12a    Original spares may be few and far between (6)
{SPARSE} Anagram number two (original) of SPARES

13a    As it’s repaired, works OK (12)
{SATISFACTORY} Anagram two and a half (repaired) of AS IT’S followed by a word for a building where goods may be made or assembled

16a    Clip-joints? (7,5)
{BARBERS’ SHOPS} Hairdressing salons for men “Anything for the weekend sir”

19a    Warning from worker about fight (6)
{BEWARE} One of the two usual suspects for a worker placed around a word meaning fight but on a much bigger scale

21a    First phase of Stone Age building (5,3)
{STAGE ONE} Another anagram which is good for getting checking letters to help with the solve. Building is the anagram indicator and the words STONE AGE provide the anagram fodder

23a    Confirm tea laid out after five (8)
{VALIDATE} And again. Anagram (out) of TEA LAID placed after the Roman numeral for five

24a    Introduce gradually in new list (6)
{INSTIL} In from the clue followed by an anagram (new) of LIST

25a    Maintain there’s some body in the beer (6)
{ALLEGE} A body part inside a word for beer. Cheers Rufus, bottoms up.

26a    Poet’s rewritten sonnet about New York (8)
{TENNYSON} By the shore of Gitche Gumee, By the shining Big-Sea-Water. He wrote that and mighty fine it is too.

2d    Flinch from a backlash (6)
{RECOIL} Another decent double definition. To spring backwards maybe in fear horror or disgust

3d    Thought first of ladies supreme (5)
{IDEAL} A thought or notion followed by the first letter of L(adies)

4d    Two scholars put into reform school (4,5)
{ALMA MATER} The School College or University one attended. Place the letters a graduate may have after his name twice within a five letter word meaning to reform

5d    Work out highest fractions (7)
{EIGHTHS} A superb anagram (work out) of HIGHEST. A b****r to spell though. To the musically minded. Quavers.

6d    They may be high — that’s unlucky, we hear (5)
{JINKS} The high in the first part of this clue refers to boisterous fun. The second part is a homophone of a person or thing that brings bad luck.

7d    Quixotic writer never acts in play (9)
{CERVANTES} An anagram (in play) of NEVER ACTS will provide the author of a book whose main character tilted at windmills.

8d    Flair shown as skill is added to effort (8)
{ARTISTRY} A charade. Skill (3), IS from the clue and an effort or an attempt (3)

13d    Craft likely to go under (9)
{SUBMARINE} A submersible boat.

14d    A girl getting into giddy hero-worship? (9)
(ADORATION} A from the clue. A four letter girls name and an anagram (giddy) of INTO

15d    It’s played for the HQ dance (8)
{BASEBALL A four letter term for headquarters and the usual suspect for a dance combine to reveal a pastime popular in America. A complete waste of time and energy. In England we call it rounders and let the girls play it and that is about where it belongs IMHO.

17d    American small change being found in school is dodgy (7)
{SUSPECT} The two letter abbreviation for The United States together with the initial letter of our smallest value coin placed inside a four letter word for a group of people whose views may differ from the norm will give a word meaning dishonest or unreliable

18d    One doing exercises gaining colour (6)
{INDIGO} the usual crosswordland letter indicated by the word “one” followed by an anagram (exercises) of DOING will give a colour used to dye jeans

20d    Girl’s round about the advertisement, miss (5)
{EVADE} The world’s oldest girls name placed around the shortened term for advertisement

22d    Test  paper (5)
{ESSAY} A double definition.

Whilst enjoyable this all fell into place too easily for me. I know others will struggle. Vive la différence!

The Quick crossword pun: (baron} + {waist} = {barren waste}

1. pommers
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:10 am | Permalink

pommette and the other Rufus fans will be pleased today – he’s in the Graun and the FT as well as here :grin:

Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:11 am | Permalink

2*/4*. DT puzzles on Sundays and Mondays never disappoint! Another brilliant back pager from Rufus, which remarkably was actually on the back page today.

The NW corner held me up slightly, with 11a my last one in. Lovely clues throughout with splendid surface readings. Very difficult to choose a favourite today but 4d gets my vote with 16a a close second.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops.

P.S. I am flabbergasted. Although they turned a strong position into a cliff-hanger, England’s male cricketers contrived to emulate our excellent ladies’ team and actually won a one day international yesterday. Wonders will never cease.

3. Derek
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:16 am | Permalink

The usual pleasant start to the week from Rufus. Not very taxing!

Faves ; 6a, 16a, 6d &18d.

Dull and damp in NL today.

4. Collywobbles
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:26 am | Permalink

A nice little canter for a Monday Morning. Sets the mood for the rest of the day.. Thanks to Rufus for an enjoyable puzzle and to MP although I did not need hints today

5. spindrift
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Miffypops – is the pig for turning into all sorts of porcine delicacies or do you want to breed from her/him? Either way I can see tears before bedtime especially if you convert the unfinished[?] kitchen into a sty. Roll on Sunday – it should be a belter!

• Miffypops
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Hi there Spinnie old boy. I am not sure what to do with the pig. It would surely be illegal for me to breed with it so I will not try. There are 15 of them in all. We will fatten them up for six months and send them to the abattior. I don’t eat much meat at all, I only joined the pig club to because Saint Sharon said I could not have a pig. I may roast it whole and sell it on. The kitchen remained untouched last week. Things may move on Thursday. Watch this space. I turned down a ticket for Sunday as the Welsh have a habit of peeing on my chips and I did not want to be there if they did. I am looking forward to the game though.

• spindrift
        Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Here’s a suggestion. Instead of having the traditional celebration for the christening (assuming that is going to happen) of your grandson how about a hog roast in the pub garden?

Speaking of Sunday I know how you feel. 25+ years ago I went to the old stadium in Wales to see England get well & truly battered. That was not a place for an Englishman to be, especially in the pubs later on in the evening. Also, I was with my sales director who hailed from the valleys – talk about smug!

Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Surely, after six months you’ll be on first-name terms with the pigs and sending them to the abattoir will be heart wrenching. How are you going to manage that? I agree with spindrift and I can see tears in your future.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Some friends of ours who have chickens say that you can’t eat something that you’ve fed.

• pommers
          Posted March 3, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

They lie!

• pommers
        Posted March 3, 2014 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

15 pigs isn’t a pig, it’s a flock :grin:

• Expat Chris
        Posted March 4, 2014 at 7:51 am | Permalink

Hi, Miffypops. When I was a girl post-WWII, my father kept pigs on his allotment and fattened them up for slaughter, just as you are doing. Preparing the food (it’s not called swill for nothing) was interesting, to say the least!

6. skempie
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Usual Monday fare from Rufus today – quite good fun but not very taxing (I do wish the Government would take a few lessons from him), almost a write in for me with one or two held back just to check. Can’t say I liked 12A very much, in fact I only wrote the answer in very faintly as I couldn’t believe that it could be right. Still, I thought 4D was an absolute corker and 16A wasn’t far off.

Keeps threatening to rain here today and we have been warned it may get a bit noisy too with a touch of lightning – I just hope it doesn’t wait until I pop off to the shops to get my eggs, milk, flour and lemons for tomorrow.

7. JB
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:47 am | Permalink

A nice, reasonably gentle start to the week. I came to grief with the “quickie” – how was I to know that “waist” was another word for “amidships”? We live and learn!

• Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Please be careful with giving answers to the Quick crossword on here – some people do that puzzle later. I have set the answer so that it can be viewed in the usual way by selecting the space between the quote marks.

8. Poppy
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Had to complete this in stages, and, like Rabbit Dave, the NW corner was my last part in. And thanks to Miffypops for explaining why my answer for 17d was correct. Hints much appreciated. Greetings to pig, as well as thanks to setter also.

9. Droopyh
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Logged on in Melbourne, Australia (start of six weeks holiday) and found two cryptic crosswords – am I the only one?

• Patsyann
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I have adifferent puzzle on line too!

• McMillibar
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

I have two Cryptics and two Quickies on the iPad today for the first time.

10. Clarky
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

Gentle start to the week from Rufus. I liked 18d for surface image and 16a for its simplicity!
    Sunny and mild in Perthshire today (so far), so the garden beckons.

11. Graham Wall
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Today is not turning out too bad. I still have a smile on my face from yesterday’s Leicester Tiger’s victory, Mrs W said she does not need to go shopping and I have completed today’s offering with no trouble and no hints. I particularly smiled at 13A I would rate this as 1.5/4 Thanks for the review Miffypops, as always as entertaining as the puzzle itself.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus, a really good puzzle today – particularly liked 4d and 5d well disguised – very clever I thought. I must admit that I didn’t find it as easy as everyone else – but nothing strange in that ! Thanks Miffypops for your review, hints and photos.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

I found quite a lot of it easy but took three times as long as I normally take to sort out a Rufus trying to get my last few solutions.

His Graun puzzle today didn’t take me long at all.

13. french times
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

I seem to have a different puzzle to the rest of the world???

• Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog french times

14. Angel
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Reasonably straightforward but slightly pedestrian Rufus offering today. Missed anagram indicator in 21a so needed hint – thanks Miffypops. For me no really outstanding clue(s). **/**. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

15. Patsyann
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Two cryptics on the. iPad today. If one is meant for tomorrow I will really impress my husband by finishing it in seconds!

16. Marky
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

First ever completion sans hints (I’m quite new to this) so very pleased. Vindicates a 1* rating :)

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Congratualtions :-)

• Steve_the_beard
        Posted March 3, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

… oh look, a Freudian anagram… or maybe my typing’s a bit ropy…

17. SheilaP
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Nearly always enjoy Monday’s crossword. Favourite was 7 down even though I rarely notice an anagram indicator (I rely on husband for those) It hardly seems worth while welcoming Miffypops pigs, if they’re off to the abattoir in 6 months time. Saint Sharon won’t have had time to get to know all their names. Thank you to the Monday setter & to Miffypops too.

18. Minnehaha
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Hi there. Apologies for sounding a bit confused in my first blog offering but wasn’t it Longfellow who wrote about Hiawatha and the shining Big Sea Water? All the best and keep up the good work.

• Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Minnehaha

Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Yes it was – I was just about to write a comment saying that.

19. McMillibar
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

A steady and fun work through with the last corner for me being SW. I am going for 1.5*/3* today. Might have a go at the other Cryptic that has appeared on the iPad today for the first time. Well, it’s just lying there.

Why are we saddled with 15 X 15 grids? How about 9 x 9 … They would not take as long and would be less intimidating for newbies. Er… Will I end up in the Tower for that remark?

Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

??? I thought you said yesterday that you were going to wean yourself off this addictive blog. I’m not surprised because giving up any addiction is always going to be tough but your resolve didn’t last long did it?

Welcome back – it seems like you never went away http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

• McMillibar
        Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Except when I have dead time… Like today in Texas where it’s f-freezing.
        You know you cannot trust an addict though.

• Toni
          Posted March 4, 2014 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Host pops up again today!

• Toni
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

We’ll have to do the second crossword on the ipad without help though, unless it’s tomorrow’s…

• McMillibar
        Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

We’ll have to help each other out here. I have not looked at it yet.

• Toni
          Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Done it!

• McMillibar
            Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

He he, Toni. We wrote those posts at the precise same time. Same time to complete it! I am not convinced on 26d tho’

• Toni
              Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it ‘member’ as in part of the body plus the last letter of kindly. I think it’s an accepted word for host.

• McMillibar
                Posted March 3, 2014 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Hmmm.. I have the same as you but it sounds a bit barmy to me.

• Toni
                  Posted March 3, 2014 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

I guess host can mean a lot of people or angels or daffodils…

• McMillibar
          Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Now finished the second iPad Cryptic. Pretty good, different ‘feel’.
          I’d go with **/***. The number of the puzzle is 280 – where’d that come from??

• Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

It looks like it’s this week’s website-only prize puzzle.

20. Chris
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Pleasant start to the week, and thanks to Rufus. Although the hints weren’t needed my last in was 11a which I couldn’t see for ages.
    All much enhanced by the MIffypops baseball comment and the pig and kitchen saga!

Posted March 3, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Late here again – too much to do.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif
    No problems today, for once – I do hope that this is an omen telling me that this crossword week will go better than last week did.
    I was a bit slow with several in the top left corner.
    I’m ashamed to admit that I couldn’t remember who wrote “Don Quixote” and had to look him up but I dorecognise a bit from the “Song of Hiawatha” and I know that it wasn’t Tennyson who wrote it.
    I liked 9 and 13a and 5 and 13d. My favourite was 6d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Miffypops.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for the review and hints. A very enjoyable puzzle to start the week. I was beaten by 1a and 6d. Couldn’t think of anything for 1a, and could only think of Jonas for 6d, doh! Favourite was 21a. Got soaked cycling this morning, looks like more showers to come. Was 2*/3* for me. Cooking a chicken curry now.

23. Lixie
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Agree that Hiawatha was written by Longfellow, not the poet in the anagram. Other hints most useful, thanks.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Lixie.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

Hello Lixie. Apologies to all for the mistake. I just did not want to write Anagram (rewritten) of SONNET around (about) the initial letters of New York. We have nine anagrams or part anagrams today so I tried something a little different Yes I boobed with the poet but it was all done in good faith. Note to oneself “Must try harder”

24. Miffypops
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

A. Tennyson wrote the first line of all of Longfellows poems. B Tennyson and Longfellow are the same person, that is why their names are perfect anagrams of one another. C. Tennyson wrote “The Song Of Hiawatha” for Longfellow who fell asleep through boredom watching a baseball game. We’ll done to all who spotted this weeks not so deliberate mistake.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif I can’t cope with multiple choice when all the answers seem right…

Posted March 3, 2014 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

I’m always (perhaps next week I’ll eat my words) on Rufus’s wavelength. I think my favourite is 7d but may change my mind as there were many good ones. Honourable mention to 16a, 4d and 18d. Some were so easy I doubted I had the correct answer. Last one in 11a. Thank you Rufus, and, of course, many thanks to Miffypops for your entertaining review.

26. williamus
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Another gentle start to the week. Full of the usual humour and misdirection that we probably take too much for granted from Rufus. */**** for me.

Finished the puzzle earlier without hints (no honestly) but then became hopelessly stuck on the Quickie pun’s second word and spent as long not getting it as I did doing the cryptic. Driving me mad and couldn’t wait till tomorrow so had to come here for a sneaky cheat… Oh dear!

Thanks to Rufus and to Miffypops for a thoroughly entertaining review

Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

If you are at a loose end, I can recommend the Guardian Quiptic – a puzzle designed for people new to the world of cryptic crosswords. Today’s is equally entertaining for ‘old hands’ too. http://www.theguardian.com/crosswords/quiptic/746

If you get stuck, you might recognise the name of the person who blogged it for 15 Squared http://www.fifteensquared.net/2014/03/03/guardian-quiptic-746-orlando/ http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

28. Eleanor Patrick
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

I’m so confused by finding 4 crosswords on the iPad that I can’t concentrate on cooking the dinner!

Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Your comment needed moderation because you’ve expanded your usual alias. Both variants should work from now on.

• Eleanor Patrick
        Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Told you I was confused!

29. Owdoo
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

Hmm, finished it without hints eventually, but after expecting a gentle Monday stroll it turned out to be a much longer walk than I expected. 3*/2* for me.

Thanks setter, even though you were clearly on a new digital channel and I was stuck on the old medium wave!

And thanks to MP for the entertaining review, although I can’t agree with you about baseball. It’s one of those games where the more I learn about it the more I appreciate the skills of the top players and the nuances of each pitcher/batter matchup. I only wish I had time to watch a bit more of it but since Channel 5 stopped broadcasting it, it’s not so readily available on tv in the uk.

• skempie
      Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

• skempie
        Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

(As in Thank God its not on TV any more)

• Owdoo
          Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

It was live, usually midnight to about 4am GMT twice a week so hardly displaced anything important. Even non baseball fans must surely concede that was preferable to fill the wee small hours of the schedule than the overnight “live casino roulette” gambling nonsense that Channel 5 shows now.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

We did this one with a friend who is totally new to cryptic crosswords. It was a great puzzle to show the many devious ways that cryptics work and so we really appreciated and enjoyed it.
    Thanks Rufus and Miffypops.

Posted March 3, 2014 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle, thanks Rufus and Miffypops for the update on the aga saga/pigsty.

32. Little Dave
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this and after a slowish start the mental gears started to turn and last in was 6d which was a doh moment. Thanks to The Setter and for the review. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gifhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted March 3, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus for an entertaining doddle. 13a my favourite, l think, but it was nice to see a couple of nautical clues – we are after all a seafaring race. Thanks too to Miffypops for the review and hints. Oh, and l quite agree about the game at 15d.

34. Only fools
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Rufus yet again fulfils his remit ,to entertain without too much pain and as Pommers has said he also does the same duty today elsewhere .Unbelievably consistent use of the language and always worth more than 2 for entertainment .
    Thanks MP for the review (and getting the poets picture correct) and thanks to R ufus for being Rufus .

35. Attila Thehun
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 5:00 am | Permalink

It really is tiresome to return to an almost-completed puzzle on my iPad having answered an email, only to find a blank grid. Complaining only evokes a standard, anodyne rely. Clearly, though, the DT are not getting enough pressure to fix the myriad problems with their app. Other developers issue updates at a far faster rate, either fixing bugs or enhancing the user’s experience. Come on guys, get with the programme [pun intended].

36. Catnap
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this Rufus puzzle. I don’t find Rufus all that easy, but managed to complete without hints. I was a bit slow with the eastern half. 11a was my last in! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif I missed the double definition in 2d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif Otherwise I had no problems. Fave clue was 6d, closely followed by 9a and 5d.

Many thanks to Rufus for an enjoyable puzzle. Many thanks to Miffypops for an entertaining review with excellent explanations.

37. jane
    Posted March 5, 2014 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

‘By the shores’ etc is from Hiawatha, written by Longfellow not Tennyson!

Posted March 5, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog jane.

• Miffypops
      Posted March 5, 2014 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

And welcome from me too. At least I got the picture right (See comments 23 and 24)

38. Tstrummer
    Posted March 6, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Been so busy that I only got round to this today. Gentle, teasing and ultimately fulfilling. Thanks you Rufus. Still got a stack more to do and I haven’t even looked at the Toughies. Where do you all find the time? Thanks to MP for the entertaining blog (you are absolutely right about baseball – it makes cricket seem like Formula One).