Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ****

Another fine puzzle from Ray T, with the usual scattering of signature clues

1a    Signal I get at clue’s unscrambling (11)
{GESTICULATE} – an anagram (unscrambling) of I GET AT CLUE’S

9a    Greed is a weakness, swallowing another case (7)
{AVARICE} – the A from the clue and a weakness around the outer letters (case) of AnotheR

10a    Witch finally admitted into dark craft (6)
{DINGHY} – the final letter if witcH inside an adjective meaning dark or dismal

12a    Girl’s placed before sweetheart, causing argument (7)
{DISPUTE} – a two-letter girl’s name followed by the S from ‘S, a verb meaning placed and the middle letter (heart) of swEet

13a    Flog company in upswing (7)
{SCOURGE} – CO(mpany) inside an upswing

14a    Cupola is lead covering part of church (5)
{AISLE} – hidden (covering) inside the clue

15a    Regulation record in ancestral houses (9)
{ORDINANCE} – hidden (houses) inside the clue

17a    ‘Get Back‘ is about group’s accepting end of Beatles (9)
{REPOSSESS} – a two-letter word meaning about followed by a group, like those pursuing an outlaw, and the S from ‘S around the final letter (end) of BeatleS

20a    Struggles to contain black feelings (5)
{VIBES} – a verb meaning struggles around B(lack)

22a    Join criminal web, caught, put inside (7)
{CONNECT} – a criminal and a web around (put inside) C(aught)

24a    Former nobleman, one with Queen Elizabeth (7)
{EARLIER} – a nobleman followed by I (one) and the regnal cipher for Queen Elizabeth

25a    Sharper and more cunning following ace (6)
{ACUTER} – an adjective meaning more cunning or more clever after A(ce)

26a    Inflamed single in fun with lap dancing (7)
{PAINFUL} – I (single) inside an anagram (dancing) of FUN with LAP

27a    Right always criticise boom (11)
{REVERBERATE} – R(ight) followed by a word meaning always and a verb meaning to criticise

2d    Grand top-class recipe drained gourmet (7)
{EPICURE} – an adjective meaning grand followed by the letter that represents top-class and RecipE without its inner letters (drained)

3d    Consequently free other crook (9)
{THEREFORE} – an anagram (crook) of FREE OTHER

4d    Lewis initially penning poem for morals (5)
{CODES} – the initials of the author of The Chronicles of Narnia around (penning) a poem

5d    Kind of green  US president (7)
{LINCOLN} – two definitions – the kind of green allegedly worn by Robin Hood and a former US president

6d    Corruptly earn the foreign capital (7)
{TEHERAN} – an anagram (corruptly) of EARN THE

7d    Treatment possibly practised involving origins of infant ailments? (11)
{PAEDIATRICS} – an anagram (possibly) of PRACTISED around (involving) the initial letters (origins) of Infant Ailments – the whole clue describes the kind of treatment

8d    Large part of Church overlooking saint declines (6)
{LAPSES} – L(arge) followed by a part of a church and S(aint)

11d    Reclines say, after change of course (11)
{NECESSARILY} – an anagram (after change) of RECLINES SAY

16d    Complaint affecting setter? (9)
{DISTEMPER} – a cryptic definition of a viral disease which affects dogs

18d    Dash for bowl facing anguish (7)
{PANACHE} – a bowl or hollow followed by (facing) anguish or suffering

19d    Maybe boyfriend is small with small couple? (7)
{SWEETIE} – S(mall) followed by a Scottish word for small and a verb meaning to couple

20d    Finding composer before concert ends (7)
{VERDICT} – an Italian composer followed by the outer letters (ends) of ConcerT

21d    Abstracts  underwear (6)
{BRIEFS} – two definitions

23d    Starts to time heart rate, observing beating pulse (5)
{THROB} – the initial letters (starts) to five words in the clue

It seemed as if there were a lot of anagrams, but in the end I counted only six.

The Quick crossword pun: (war} + {chew} + {hill} = {(Twelfth Night or) What You Will}

Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I agree with BD’s rating of 3*/4*for today’s superb crossword with wonderful clues throughout with great surface readings. 11d was my last one in simply because I didn’t spot the anagram indicator for quite a while – I’ve no idea why I didn’t see it for ages as it is so obvious with hindsight.

Too many top notch clues to list them all and the excellent 7d was my stand out favourite.

Many thanks to Ray T and to BD.

2. Michael
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I really enjoyed this one and found it pretty difficult – 27a was a really good clue.

Thanks to BD for the confirmations – incidentally the definition of 8d in the blog needs an ‘s’ on the end!

Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Must have been on the setters wavelength today, really enjoyed this one. Spent a while trying to define a Cupola, DOH!! Best clue by far for me was 16d but then I just love pun type clues. Thanks to the Setter for the puzzle and to BD for explaining 22a missed the net completely.

Posted January 9, 2014 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

You do know it was Ray T today?? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Steve_the_beard
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Shh, don’t tell him :-)

• spindrift
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

We have a cupola on top of our garage which was put there by the builder originally and last year cost £750 to be replaced. A “good lookin’ nowt” as my Dad would say!

• Steve_the_beard
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Many modern cars have one too, although in that context the correct spelling is “cupholder” http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

4. McMillibar
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Afternoon all, I am back on track and upto date with the daily DT. This one was a beast for me taking twice as long as normal and using up too many little grey cells. Even had to use a dictionary for a few – a cheat in my book. Didn’t quite finish with 11d and 13a defeating me. (Did not know that that thing was a whip). Thanks to Ray T (the ‘T’ stands for ‘Tough!’) and BD who’s decode was much appreciated. We care done sitting round a pool now thank goodness and head back to Blighty tomorrow.

• McMillibar
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Btw.. Fav clue by far was 7d.

Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Quite a challenge but it remained enjoyable. 11d was certainly a sneaky anagram. favourite was 20d. Thanks to RayT and Big Dave.

Posted January 9, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

A slower solve for me today, finishing up in the top right. Many thanks to RayT for the customary excellence, and to BD for the write up.

Posted January 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

I agree with BD’s 3*/4* rating.
    I did all four long answers round the outside fairly early which certainly helped with the rest of the crossword.
    I wasn’t too sure about 25a being a word so spent a few minutes dithering about that one.
    Having found the 14a hidden answer I completely missed the next one – 15a! Oh dear! Even when I had alternate letters in and it had to be what it was I still didn’t spot it for ages.
    I liked 17 and 20a and 16d. My favourite was 7d.
    With thanks to Ray T and BD.

I made a complete pig’s ear of the quick crossword – got the first two of the three answers making up the pun but then had ‘dune’ for the third. It made perfect sense to me at the time (‘what you doing’ pronounced with an American accent) but totally screwed up the top right corner.

• andy
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

Even with the 3 correct words it took me an age, in various accents muttering to myself, to get the pun :)

Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Walking round muttering to yourself is the way to get carted off if you’re not careful. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Heno
          Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

I prefer your pun Kath.

• stanXYZ
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Kath, I like your Quickie Pun!

• Annidrum
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Kath, our nine month old American grandson is called Ewan and to amuse his older brother we say ” what you doin’ Ewan”http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

8. Collywobbles
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I’m about halfway through and I’ve done about half the clues. This is good progress for me with a RayT puzzle which has been very entertaining and enjoyable. So, thanks to him and now I’m off to do the second half which may be more difficult

• Collywobbles
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Finished. This is the first time that I have finished a RayT puzzle on my own and it was very enjoyable. Tough, but with determination it was doable for me. Thanks to him and to BD for the hints

9. neveracrossword
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I was relieved to see BD rated this 3* for difficulty. I agree with that, since it took me a while to sort out the SW corner, having put “convict” for 22a. I also go along with 4* for enjoyment.

10. Jerome
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Totally not getting this crossword today. Struggled to get 4 clues so far today. Disappointed that Brian was able to do this as I normally struggle with the same crosswords…

11. stanXYZ
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

A really enjoyable puzzle from RayT. Last in was 11d – that makes it my favourite, of course!

The clue to 17a contains more than 8 words – What’s going on here?

“Get Back” will now be going round and round my head for the rest of the day!

Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Yes – me too with “Get Back”. I wouldn’t mind if it wasn’t about my least favourite of anything they ever did. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_sad.gif

• stanXYZ
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

It’s 44 years since the Beatles performed “Get Back” on the roof-top of Apple Studios – I remember it well.

But, I can’t remember what I did Yesterday!

Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Yesterday, my fav Beatles song of all time

Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Whichever one of theirs I’m listening to at the time is always my favourite, except “Get Back” – such a pity I’ve had it on the brain all day. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif I think my favourite might be “I’ll follow the sun”.

12. BigBoab
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Best back pager of the week, many thanks to RayT and to BD for another lovely pictorial review.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I’ll second all that!

5D was my penultimate answer – not because it was hard, but because somehow I hadn’t read the clue at all…

13. Graham Wall
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

This was a cracker of a puzzle. Went off the straight and narrow but with a couple of hints from BD reached the final destination. I would rate it 3/4 Particularly liked 19A – a nice smiler. Thanks to Big Dave for the review.

14. Chris T Heswall
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Top half went in quite quickly but struggled a bit with the rest. Thoroughly enjoyable though on a mixed sunny and rainy day. 11d my favourite after realising the answer contained ‘one collar and two socks’. Thanks to setter and BD.

Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I like the ‘one collar and two socks’.

• Steve_the_beard
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

My aide memoire for that is an image of a cess-pit… but then I did spend two summers working on a sewage farm in my formative years :-)

15. Bluebird
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Oh yes, that was very very good, thank you. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

I envy Kath having got the four outside first, they were tricky and no mistake, but brilliant.
    I also spent time looking up Thesaurus for Cupola…..what a fool!
    6d was a pain to spell without looking up and 16d was cheeky. We try to be clever and get a wagging finger!! Wagging – see what I did there?

I’ll get my coat.

16. SheilaP
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this crossword today. Found the top half easier than the bottom, I know not why. My books don’t have 25 across as a word, but I’m sure it’s in the BRB. Thank you to the setter & to BD of course. It’s got out nice & sunny now here in Scarborough. We’ve managed to escape most of the bad weather so far this year. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

25a isn’t in BRB either but I’m not feeling argumentative today so will just lie low, I think. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Adjectives which follow the rules, like acute, acuter, acutest , don’t need to be mentioned explicitly in the dictionary.

Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

I didn’t know that – it just felt like a funny word somehow.

• Physicist
            Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

W.S.Gilbert uses the word in Don Alhambra’s song in The Gondoliers:
            “… Yet he’d have acted otherwise/ If he had been acuter…” (he needed a rhyme for pewter).

• SheilaP
              Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Physicist…..the only reason for using it I should think.

• Prolixic
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Chamers only gives superlative forms of adjectives if their spelling is irregular. Therefore, “actue” as the entry in dictionary also includes “acuter” and “acutest” for the superlative forms.

• Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

The pedant in me rushes to point out that it should be comparatives and superlatives !!

Posted January 9, 2014 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Ray T and to Big Dave for the review and hints. Another masterpiece from Ray T, very enjoyable. Just needed the hints for 7d, knew it was an anagram but only had one checking letter at the time. Missed the anagram for 11d. Favourites were 15,24,26a & 16,19d. Was 3*/4* for me. Blue sky for once in Central London.

18. Don Pedro
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

Have to admit to giving in on 1a and 17a, then it was doable, but only just! Took me hours! Just as I thought I was becoming a better solver after completing Tuesday’s Toughie singlehanded – a first! Thanks to BD for relief from head-banging.

19. skempie
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Late on parade today – not my fault, blame the weather – I actually managed to get the laundry done for the first tie for about a month !!! (Yes, it deserves 3)

Best puzzle this week (so far) with some very nice cluing and some good mis-directions. Managed to get the longer clues done fairly early on (even my guess at the spelling of 7D was right – must be my lucky day).

• Miffypops
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Our laundry seems to get done all by itself

Posted January 9, 2014 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

The ‘washing and ironing fairy’ sneaks in and does it at night – by morning it’s all clean, ironed and put away. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif

• skempie
          Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid that I must confess to being the Washing Fairy, as for the other, I’m more of the ‘Lets leave it there and we can look at it for a while or maybe a while longer in fact lets look at it until I’ve run out of shirts and then I might do a bit of the ironing grudgingly Fairy’

20. stanXYZ
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

BD. Has the layout on this blog changed recently? There seem to be a lot more spaces (vertically) between comments than previously. No real problem – just wonder if it’s my old dilapidated laptop?

I’ve tried IE, Chrome & Mozilla – all the same.

• Miffypops
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

You may need a new overhead underhang Stan. Failing that you could try replacing the trumpet grunions. Other than that I have no ideas. My Grannie always swore by an onion in a sock tied to the bedpost

• Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

I think I may have fixed it.

• Michael
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

I knew there was something different about the blog – it’s spead out a lot more than previously – as you page down you think you’ve come to the end but there’s more lurking at the bottom!

Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

Oh no you haven’thttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

• stanXYZ
          Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Oh! Yes! He has!

Thank You and Goodnight!

• stanXYZ
            Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

That looks much better!

Thanks to BD for not only providing us with hints and tips … but also for maintaining the site!

When does he have time to solve the crossword?

Posted January 9, 2014 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I don’t think it takes him very long – solving the crossword I mean.
              I suspect the rest of it takes him an exceedingly long time – thanks again – it always works absolutely beautifully.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• stanXYZ
                Posted January 9, 2014 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

First we have a Kath Quickie Pun … and then to follow … an innuendo à la RayT.

Shame on you! :wink:

Posted January 9, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – now what have I done?! Smack my legs!! One day I will learn to keep quiet.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif

• Una
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

It is still all detatched houses instead of the nice cosy terrace we used to have.( still spaces between each comment).

21. Miffypops
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

A truly great crossword today. 15 ac last one in although I did not know why and failed to spot that it was an included word. Many thanks to Mr Ray T and nicely reviewed Big Dave

Posted January 9, 2014 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

This was a good brain exerciser but I did have a problem with bottom left-hand side. I put “remembers” for 17a which really threw me off. I should have realised that “member” was single and the clue clearly says “group”. Definitely *** for difficulty but enjoyable. Favourite was 27a. Thanks to RayT and BD for needed hints.

23. Hrothgar
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Sheer joy, great tension in the struggle to solve to completion.
    Beyond my normal solving time.
    Even the ‘always solvable’ type of clue, that is, anagrams and hidden, were fraught with red herrings. eg 11d,15a.
    Many thanks Ray T, and to BD for the colourful review.

Posted January 9, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Thank you Ray T, one of your harder puzzles, and one of your best ! A really enjoyable struggle. Last 2 to go in were 22a and 19d. For a moment I had “convict” at 22a which didn’t help. Persistence rectified the problem. Thank you BD for your review and photos – one most tasteful, can’t remember which one !

I wonder if I might seek advice here ( not the first time ! ) I have an important birthday coming up in April and I am informed that I am to receive a present to mark the occasion. We are a bit behind on technology – we have the paper version of the DT and I do not have a smartphone or iPad etc. I get the impression that most contributors do the puzzle using the DT puzzles app ( when it is working ) and I have decided to take the bold step of at least getting the machinery to enable me to do this whilst on holiday etc. What I don’t know is, can one access the DT puzzles from a smartphone or do I need a tablet or iPad or mini iPad etc ?

Any advice most welcome !

• Miffypops
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

Saint Sharon bought me an iPad last July whilst I was up a mountain or in a pub in The Lake District. I use that for the DT crosswords but I don’t get code words or other puzzles. It’s great for reading the paper too. It uploads in the early hours so just right for a cup of tea in bed before rising. It’s a nice little tool anyway.

• Sweet William
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks Miffypops – advice noted.

• Ian
          Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

Not sure if you’ll read this as it’s quite late. I use an iPad, and think you’d find a Mini one or phone too small. I used to subscribe to the whole paper, but found I wasn’t reading it, so decided to subscribe just to the puzzles site and use the CRUX app to download it to my iPad and type in on screen. It’s fantastic when the puzzles site is working, includes the toughie and costs me just £30 odd per annum. Crux also gives you access to loads of other puzzles free, including the Independent’s concise and cryptic.

• Sweet William
            Posted January 10, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Many thanks Ian – a great help !

• Hrothgar
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Miffypops – sorry but puzzled.
        Do you print it off from your iPad?
        If you actually do it on your iPad, how?
        Thanks,

• Posted January 9, 2014 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

The crossword is there with a keypad. Just type in and correct if necessary. Once used to it it is perfect especially for me. I cannot read my own writing.

• MichaelP
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

I also use the iPad version as a freebie with my print subscription which saves a small fortune when in Europe compared with the euro cost of the print version. However as Miffypops said you only get Sudoko and the two backpage crosswords. When I investigated the DT puzzles site 12 months ago I got the impression that it would only work with a Windows PC. I have just tried to find the description of the site but it seems to have disappeared presumably because of the technical problems. However there are versions of the e-paper now for Android and Kindle so if you are happy to settle for the two backpage puzzles you could save quite a bit compared with the cost of an iPad. Before getting anything check out how easily you can read stuff on the smaller screen sizes. If you want to able to look at the entire grid for the longer answers I think you might find the font sizes very small on anything less than a 9 inch screen.

• Sweet William
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 6:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all that MichaelP – very helpful

• Hrothgar
          Posted January 9, 2014 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Miffypops and MichaelP
          I haven’t downloaded the DT App onto my iPad.
          I get my crosswords through ‘Standalone.com’ but only the makeshift version of the DT one as the DT puzzle site, to which I am a paid up subscriber, is up the creek.
          Standalone, though, does download the makeshift version but not in a doable form. It would need printing off.
          So, if I downloaded (and paid) for the DT App. I could, from what you say, complete the crossword on my iPad.
          I really love my iPad.

• Miffypops
            Posted January 9, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

You need telegraph subscriptions. I pay about £28 per quarter. The paper edition is delivered by our local shop so I do have a toughie when I have time. The ipad edition comes through on both my and saint Sharons ipads. The news, world news, comments, features, letters, obituaries, puzzles, cartooons and picture galleries are all there but less adverts. I found the crossword awkward at first but that quickly passed. As I have said before the ipad has dramatically shortened my solving times because all the letters look like what they should look like. With a pen in my hand the letters C G and L are exactly alike as are B P and D. U and V give me problems and unbelievably the letters I and N are indistinguishable. I write as well as I sing.

• Sweet William
              Posted January 9, 2014 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Interesting Miffypops – I already do DT subscription for the paper version, so it sounds as though I should be able to get the iPad edition without extra payment. Very helpful, thank you.

• Miffypops
                Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

You just need your Telegraph subscriber number

25. Grahame
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

Did this one with just a little help then cracked most of the Times one. The training I have had from BD and others has really raised my game. I suspect though, I will crash and burn tomorrow. Thanks for the fun and help today.

26. Annidrum
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed that today, but it was apuzzle of two halves for me. I found the right hand side easier than the left maybe because carelessly I had misspelt connect, by putting the c before the e therefore just couldn’t see 19d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif
    Thanks to Ray T & BD.

27. Miffypops
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

Did anyone else assume that the Lewis in 4d was Lewis Carroll of Alice In Wonderland fame

• Sweet William
      Posted January 9, 2014 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Posted January 9, 2014 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

No, but mainly because in Oxford we are very aware of the right one (not that there is anything wrong with Lewis Carroll it’s just that he would have been wrong today).
      There is a C.S. Lewis reserve very close to where we live – it’s lovely – lakes, trees and wildlife.

• Miffypops
        Posted January 9, 2014 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

Any Aslans?

• skempie
          Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Whoops, I read that as Asians

• Miffypops
            Posted January 9, 2014 at 11:42 pm | Permalink

I thought that as I typed it

Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Really great stuff and thoroughly enjoyed it. Last in was 11d.
    There is a slight Tut-tut though. When we did the word count on the clues, as we always do with a RayT, we discovered to our shock and horror that 17a actually has NINE words in the clue. What is the world coming to! :)
    Many thanks RayT and BD.

29. Catnap
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

What a super RayT puzzle! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif I found the bottom half a bit trickier than the top, and 11d was my last in. Plenty of super clues. I particularly enjoyed 7d, 19d, and 20d.
    Although I didn’t need your excellent hints, Big Dave, on reading them through I note that I did not fully appreciate the cleverness of 7d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_redface.gif So, your clarifications are much appreciated.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gif
    Very many thanks to you both, RayT and Big Dave.

30. RayT
    Posted January 9, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Setter here, with thanks to BD for the decryption, and to all for your comments. I’m glad that most of you enjoyed it.

RayT

Posted January 9, 2014 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Lots of comments today – I’m really pleased. I’d been thinking that we were all being a bit dozey and slightly in hibernation mode since Christmas – understandably, of course – but I was just beginning to think about what to do to stir things up a bit – it would seem that it’s not necessary (with one collar and two socks)!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

32. Posted January 9, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Wow. I think that’s my first ever Thursday completed without any help at all. Completely expected to see 1 star difficulties here so delighted to see the three stars. Silent high five to self!

33. Tstrummer
    Posted January 10, 2014 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable and quite taxing, but I got there in the end.Struggled for far too long on 10a. Re 7d, I’m not sure that that is a treatment, as BD suggests, I think it’s more a branch of medicine and “treatment” refers to the anagram. But thanks as always for explaining the ones I got but couldn’t quite see why. Missed the “hidden in clue” on 15a and came to BD after completion for explanation. Must try harder

• Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Chambers defines paediatrics as “the treatment of children’s diseases”