Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

There’s nothing too tricky in this one – let us know how you got on.

If you need to see an answer you’ll have to highlight the hidden text between the curly brackets under the clue.

Across Clues

3a  One importuning, say, in dishevelled garb (6)
{BEGGAR} – the abbreviation for ‘say’ or for example inside an anagram (dishevelled) of GARB.

6a  Timeless meat dish that’s ready to eat (4)
{RIPE} – a meat dish without its initial T(ime).

8a  Recreational area requiring a coat (5)
{PARKA} – a recreational area followed by A.

9a  Fellow found among unusually nice cops in general (3-8)
{NON-SPECIFIC} – insert F(ellow) into an anagram (unusually) of NICE COPS IN.

10a  Some left on galleon for islands (5)
{TONGA} – hidden (some) in the clue.

11a  Bottle shown by rugby player in heart of operations (5,6)
{NERVE CENTRE} – what bottle is an informal term for followed by a rugby three-quarter.

16a  Musician not initially getting support (6)
{ASSIST} – a musician without the initial B.

17a  Each trip when reviewed divided circle (3,5)
{PIE CHART} – an anagram (when reviewed) of EACH TRIP.

19a  Hearing what batsman might get in practice (5,3)
{TRIAL RUN} – a hearing before a judge followed by what a batsman might get (but not in any great numbers in the case of English batsmen currently).

20a  Steamship moored in sound, in bother (6)
{HASSLE} – put the abbreviation for a steamship inside an adjective meaning sound or in good shape.

22a  Feel strongly preparation of a threat, token largely (4,2,5)
{TAKE TO HEART} – an anagram (preparation) of A THREAT TOKE(n).

25a  One giving little room is erring essentially (5)
{MISER} – concealed at the heart (essentially) of three words in the clue.

27a  Broadcast inside team’s ground (11)
{DISSEMINATE} – an anagram (ground) of INSIDE TEAM’S.

28a  Fatal device in feature that’s empty? (5)
{NOOSE} – if something is empty it’s got nothing inside it, so we want a facial feature containing what looks like zero.

29a  Working body of Anglicans in the past (4)
{ONCE} – an adverb meaning working (i.e. not switched off) followed by the abbreviation for Anglicans as a body.

30a  Principally, discover exactly the evidence coppers target? (6)
{DETECT} – an all-in-one clue where the answer comes from the principal letters.

Down Clues

1d  Identify  point on snooker table (4)
{SPOT} – double definition, the second being one of the points on a snooker table on which the ‘colours’ are placed at the start of a frame.

2d  Row after old criticism for make-up item (6,5)
{ORANGE STICK} – put a row or series after O(ld) then add an informal word for criticism.

3d  Nuts left in squalid place for dessert (6,5)
{BANANA SPLIT} – an informal word for nuts or crazy is followed by a slang term for a squalid place containing L(eft).

4d  Worker in Greek yard getting platform (6)
{GANTRY} – the usual insect worker goes inside the abbreviation for Greek and Y(ard).

5d  Playing of pale pipe in a virtuous form? (5-3)
{APPLE-PIE} – this is a term used (especially in the USA) as a metaphor for virtuous and traditional values. It’s an anagram (playing) of PALE PIPE.

6d  Spell in office – and downfall, we hear (5)
{REIGN} – this sounds like what falls from above.

7d  Former  figure of authority in retreat (5)
{PRIOR} – double definition, the second an authority figure in a religious retreat.

12d  Transport in fairyland? (11)
{ENCHANTMENT} – cryptic definition of transport or delight, which can also mean being put under a spell.

13d  Vital exchange in a theatre? (11)
{TRANSFUSION} – this theatre is in a hospital.

14d  Two directions taken before bay, say, to find course (6)
{ENTRÉE} – two directions or cardinal points followed by what bay is an example of in a botanical sense.

15d  Ageing wine imbibed during quiet time (4,2)
{PAST IT} – an Italian sparkling wine is inserted (imbibed) between the abbreviations for quiet and time.

18d  Singer Kate facing sack, a problem for Australians? (8)
{BUSHFIRE} – Kate’s surname followed by a verb meaning to sack or dismiss.

21d  Taste shown by friend at start of exhibition (6)
{PALATE} – string together another word for friend, AT (from the clue) and the starting letter of E(xhibition).

23d  Pork pie consumed by a Northern outsider (5)
{ALIEN} – what Cockneys might use the term pork pie for goes inside (consumed by) A (from the clue) and N(orthern).

24d  Follow tennis rules regularly (5)
{ENSUE} – pick out regular letters from tennis rules.

26d  Rocks about going over Eastern France (4)
{REEF} – a preposition meaning about or concerning is followed (going over, in a down clue) by E(astern) and the IVR code for France.

The clues I liked best today were 3d and 13d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {MOLL} + {DOVER} = {MOLDOVA} or possibly {MULLED OVER}

Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

1*/3* rating.

Apart from 30a, my last one in, this was “read and write” for me today, but nevertheless enjoyable.

Initially I put transplants for 13d even though the plural didn’t really fit the clue. Fortunately I didn’t look at the wrong checking letter when I got to 25a, which quickly showed me I had the wrong sort of trans……

The other clue I might have struggled with was 2d but, as my step-daughter is a nail art practitioner, this was something I was familiar with. It is in the BRB, but with a hyphen!

Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for his review.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

2d doesn’t have a hyphen in my BRB (11th edition).

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Bizarrely mine doesn’t appear to say which edition it is! It is dated 1999. On the front it proudly proclaims “New Edition”, which in 2013 is clearly an inaccurate description.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

I quite liked this one today; no real problems, just a pleasant solve.
    Thanks to setter, and to gazza.

The toughie is good fun today and worth a go.

3. Michael
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

Quite straight forward today – I felt 19a was a but clunky!

The Paper Boy put his Christmas Box at risk by not turning up today – I had to go to the shop – Bah Humbug!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_evil.gif

• skempie
      Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:23 am | Permalink

As I always go to the shop to get my paper, does that mean I can give myself a Christmas box ?

• Miffypops
        Posted December 10, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

My paper boy complained that somebody had stolen the fiver I put in his card one year. How did he know I had put one in? He could not lie straight in bed. I can tell when he is lying – his lips are moving. He lies like a two bob watch. He is in his thirties.

• Graham
          Posted December 10, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

A friend of mine owns a newsagents/village store, he was bemoaning the fact that one of his paper boys had let him down & that he had to do the round himself. Next day the hapless lad apologised saying he had overslept my friend was dumbfounded as it was an evening round after school.

4. skempie
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Never heard of 2D before, but sort of guessed it/worked it out (and felt quite smug afterwards). Strangely, my first thought for the singer Kate in 18D was spot on – perhaps its because I used to work with a girl who was the spitting image.

Favourite today was 30A – very clever and I spotted it straight away.

• McMillibar
      Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Same here, Skempie, I had the wrong answer in though guessing wrongly that ‘French’ ***** might be an early name for lippy. It’s just something that goes between the lippys.

5. McMillibar
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Tuesday greeting to all,
    I was just on the point of going to bed an just after 1am.. and Tuesdays DT appeared on my iPad. Well, a quick look, thought I. stared at the SE corner and not much happened. Ooer.. maybe a tough one. Then I got going and swept right round the grid in a clockwise route from the SW corner starting with 18d. Then got stuck with 26d – that pesky little 4-letter word. I have an answer but don’t like it so eagerly await the Maestro for salvation. A few clues raised a smile even at that time in the morning : 27a, 3d & 13d also like 28a.
    Thanks to the setter. I have still not learned them by heart from the FAQs (although I do read through these at least once a day BD!) and thanks in anticipation for the relief at 26d.
    Warm wishes to all from grey NE Hants.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Thank you setter, an enjoyable puzzle with a user-friendly grid. Thanks for the review and hints Gazza. Off for another Christmas lunch today !

Posted December 10, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I agree with 2* for difficulty but would give it 4* for enjoyment.
    While I was doing it I felt as if there were lots of anagrams but now I can see that it was because quite a few of the across clues were and they’re the ones I do first.
    My last two were 28a – I always forget about that kind of empty – and 26d for no obvious reason other than it’s a four letter word and I often find them tricky.
    I nearly had a fit when I read the clues for 11 and 19a – rugby and cricket in one crossword seemed a bit unfair but ended up not having any trouble with them.
    I liked 3 and 30a and 3d. My favourite was either 13 or 15d.
    With thanks to Mr Tuesday Ron and gazza.
    I discovered yesterday evening that, when in poly bags and frozen, bread crumbs and crumble look identical . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gifand http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_rolleyes.gif That’ll teach me to label stuff!

• McMillibar
      Posted December 10, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Enjoy your comments, Kath

Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

How kind of you – thanks.

• Brian
      Posted December 10, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

You did far better than me today, just what is an orange stick? And why orange for what appears to be a twig?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Silveroak
        Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Because originally they were made from orange-wood. Used for pushing cuticles back. I would not consider this a make-up item, rather a manicure tool.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

I didn’t know that was why they were called orange sticks. It had never occurred to me to think about it until today but when I got the answer I looked it up – so now I know.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review and hints. An enjoyable puzzle today, not too difficult, was 2*/4* for me. Started with 3a, finished with 19a. Favourite was 30a. Gone a bit dull now in Central London after a bright start. Still doing NTSPP 200, which is very entertaining.

9. Senf
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I concur with Gaza – nothing too tricky today. This was one of the few times that the on-line PDF “substitute” was available soon after midnight UK time, so I completed all but 6d before lights out. Then 6d “came to me” while I was waiting for the alarm to go off this morning, and, in my book, it is in the oldie but goodie category so it shouldn’t have given me any problems in the first place.

10. BigBoab
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword and review, thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

11. julian of EC4
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Well I took the quickie pun to be ‘mulled over’…Well, it worked for me….. which reminds me of a joke my late father almost ruined when asking us many years ago what ‘a soft drink from the middle east ”was called. When we gave up (as one has to when humouring a parent) he proudly proclaimed ‘its Yemen and barley water’, er oh no… I mean ‘Lebanon and barley water’ And thus was the first double definition born…. Am I turning into him already?

• Miffypops
      Posted December 10, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Me too on the quickie pun Julian of EC4

Posted December 10, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

You could both be right on the Quickie pun. I never thought of mulled over. I’ll add it to the blog.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Me too with the quickie pun.

Posted December 11, 2013 at 7:57 am | Permalink

Update: Next day’s paper has it as Moldova.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

For me ***/** found it quite tricky and not at all straightforward. Struggled with 22a, 28a, 2d, 15d and 18d (who is Kate Bush? Never heard her on a Radio 3).
    Did like 30 but that was about it.
    I always struggle with Tuesdays, is it always the same setter?
    Thx to Gazza without whose splendid clues I most certainly would not have finished esp 18d.

Posted December 10, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Splendid puzzle,the pause between reading and writing was not too long. I had bronze stick for 2d , and knee for29a but neither interfered with any of the checkers. Bring back “submit”.Favourite :13d. Thanks to the setter and Gazza.

14. Compo
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Hurray , finished today’s crossword without recourse to hints or tips . As a relative newcomer to DT crossword are some days more difficult than others or is it me ?

Posted December 10, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Compo.
      They tend to get slightly more difficult as the week progresses, but this is not always the case. Well done on today’s success.

15. Graham
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Just finished having started on it late tad busy sorting things out round mothers, no real problems but wasn’t sure about 2 D ( not into cosmetics) no real favourites today & agree with the ratings.Many thanks to setter & Gazza.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted December 10, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Lots of good clues that all went together in a reasonable time. Good to see that the Telegraph is at last starting to put the puzzles on line at the time that we have traditionally come to expect them. Lets hope they keep it up. It makes a big difference to our day-plans.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

17. Collywobbles
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

It may have already been said but isn’t 18d two words

Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

It hasn’t been said before and it isn’t – I’ve just BRB’d it.

• Collywobbles
        Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Well, obviously, I BRB’d it before I made my comment and my comment stands

Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Your comment may stand but it doesn’t stand up.

• skempie
          Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Well, the BRB online says:

bushfire noun, especially Austral & NZ a fire in forest or scrub.

• Posted December 10, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

Perhaps you ought to ask for a copy of the 12th edition of the BRB for Xmas!

• Collywobbles
            Posted December 14, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

I will, mine is only the 11th

• skempie
      Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Ummm, no.

bushfire [ˈbʊʃˌfaɪə]
      n
      an uncontrolled fire in the bush; a scrub or forest fire
      Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

18. Collywobbles
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Many thanks for the hints Gazza. I did need to use them so, normally, I can do a 2* but, for me, I would make it 3*. A good puzzle though so thanks to Gazza and to the setter

19. Little Dave
    Posted December 10, 2013 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyable. Best of the week so far. I know it is only Tuesday! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted December 11, 2013 at 12:37 am | Permalink

Hope you enjoy Wednesdays. Usually a Jay

• Wahoo
        Posted December 11, 2013 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Wednesday’s is a bit of a read and write as well – but one stand out clue for me, which should suit Miffypops

20. Tstrummer
    Posted December 11, 2013 at 2:05 am | Permalink

I’d never heard of an orange stick either, but it was quite easy to work out. But since when has “trial” been a verb? Loses an enjoyment star for that one but otherwise fun and straightforward. 3* fun, 2* difficulty. Just the thing for 1am after a hard day’s work

Posted December 11, 2013 at 8:23 am | Permalink

If you’re referring to 19a then trial is a noun (a hearing = a trial).

21. Bellybutton
    Posted December 11, 2013 at 3:07 am | Permalink

********! finally finished 27,357. Do I think I’m going gaga or are some of the clues being computer generated to fit the grid. Some not too clever.

• Posted December 11, 2013 at 6:03 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Bellybutton

Please avoid the use of inappropriate language in future.

22. Catnap
    Posted December 11, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Many thanks, Mr Ron. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif This was a good puzzle, but for some reason I took a while to get onto the right wavelength. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gifThe clues I enjoyed most were 3d, 12d and 18d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif
    Many thanks, too, for excellent hints, Gazza.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif I needed three of them.