Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty */**Enjoyment ***

I thought that this was a pleasant puzzle but it didn’t take very long. Do let us know how you got on.

If you need to see an answer you’ll have to highlight the hidden text between the brackets under the clue.

Across Clues

7a  Rest swimming, coming after to play old maid? (8)
{SPINSTER} – an anagram (swimming) of REST after a verb to play (an old record like the one in 1d, for example). This person is not necessarily old (hence the question mark).

9a  Ears bent by Conservative, a leader who acts like a dictator (6)
{CAESAR} – an anagram (bent) of EARS following C(onservative) and A.

10a  Who records what could be twenty runs? (6)
{SCORER} – a word meaning twenty followed by R(uns) in cricket.

11a  Faculty I refer to in conversation (8)
{EYESIGHT} – this faculty sounds like (in conversation) ‘I cite’.

12a  Here’s the very person  to speak about Satan (4,2,3,5)
{TALK OF THE DEVIL} – double definition – the first an idiomatic expression, the second a literal interpretation.

15a  Run quickly and hide (4)
{PELT} – double definition, the second the skin of an animal.

17a  Poet sure to receive a first from Trinity (5)
{YEATS} – this is the Irish poet who won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1923. A word of agreement (sure!) contains A (from the clue) and the first letter of T(rinity).

19a  Bird seen in ferry port, mostly (4)
{DOVE} – an English ferry port without its final letter.

20a  Without exception, article annoyed directors (6,3,5)
{ACROSS THE BOARD} – string together a) an indefinite article, b) an adjective meaning annoyed or irate and c) the directors of a company as a body.

23a  Sailor almost going into a depression? Very close (8)
{ADJACENT} – an informal word for a sailor without the last letter (almost) goes inside a depression (1,4).

25a  Emotional pang amongst right-wingers (6)
{TWINGE} – it’s hidden (amongst) in the clue.

27a  Coral island  beachwear? (6)
{BIKINI} – double definition, the first a coral island in the Pacific where the USA carried out nuclear tests. I had a real dilemma here in deciding which to illustrate!

28a  Leave coat by Irish lake (8)
{FURLOUGH} – the coat of an animal and the Irish spelling of loch.

Down Clues

1d  Marathon: old record I start to challenge (4)
{EPIC} – an outdated record format followed by I (from the clue) and the starting letter of C(hallenge).

2d  A woman beginning to kiss trainspotter (6)
{ANORAK} – string together A (from the clue), a woman’s forename (Ms. Batty perhaps) and the first letter of K(iss). It’s some time since I used this picture so it’s time for it to have another outing.

3d  Price about right for sovereign (4)
{FREE} – sovereign here is an adjective meaning independent or self-governing. Put a price around R(ight).

4d  Long speech made by saint on faith (6)
{SCREED} – the single-character abbreviation for saint is followed (on, in a down clue) by faith or religious belief.

5d  Replaced on duty, recalled experience around East (8)
{RELIEVED} – a verb meaning recalled an experience goes round E(ast).

6d  Biscuit lover, with habit out of control (4,6)
{BATH OLIVER} – an anagram (out of control) of LOVER and HABIT.

8d  Conserving plant that grows on cliffs close to Newquay (7)
{THRIFTY} – start with a plant (also known as ‘sea pink’) that grows on sea cliffs and add the closing letter of (Newqua)Y.

13d  Princess shown round one Egyptian city (10)
{ALEXANDRIA} – the name of the minor royal who is a cousin of the Queen goes round I (one in Roman numerals).

14d  Vital part supplied by male skill (5)
{HEART} – a charade of a male pronoun and a word meaning skill or craft.

16d  Turtle quietly burrowing into ground (8)
{TERRAPIN} – the musical abbreviation for quietly goes inside a word for ground or landscape.

18d  Jersey may become rainier, some say, after end of holidays (7)
{SWEATER} – a comparative that sounds like rainier follows the last letter of (holiday)S.

21d  Since changes, Cuba’s capital is picturesque (6)
{SCENIC} – an anagram (changes) of SINCE precedes the capital letter of C(uba).

22d  Prayer in jail starting differently (6)
{ORISON} – another word for jail has its starting letter changed to O.

24d  At home leaving light lunch leads to spat (4)
{TIFF} – remove the adverb meaning at home from a word used in colonial India for a light lunch.

26d  Grand commander getting slightly mad (4)
{GAGA} – I’m not sure about the ‘slightly’ here – I always thought this meant totally unhinged. G(rand) is followed by a Turkish commander.

The clues that appealed to me today were 17a and 18d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {FOUR} + {TESS} + {QUEUE} = {FORTESCUE}

1. McMillibar
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Bless the DT… first they marked 25a as wrong yesterday (using the ipad app) – shurely shome mishtake. Second, Tuesday edition did not publish for the ipad until almost 9am – it’s usually there in the wee small hours.
    Today’s: I thought this was going to be too easy and into that false sense of security, I was lured (the setter’s intention?). Seized up on the NE corner and had to walk away. Still to be filled were 3d, 11a 8d & 22d but I am not going to avail myself of your hints, Gazza, I will come back to it later in the day.
    Thanks for the work you put in to this site. It’s a lot of fun. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Mine loaded before two am.

• McMillibar
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Weird. I even restarted the ipad. No connection problems. Hey ho, computers.
        I do find that I like the electronic version and I did not expect to after previous dalliances with earlier versions.

• Miffypops
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

As I have said before the ipad has almost halved my solving times. I can read my own writing on screen

• McMillibar
            Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Ha! I thought that I would miss the ‘pen in hand thing’ but don’t really and and even managing to anagrams better without jotting down the letters. There is still a paper and pen nearby though!

• McMillibar
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

I can confirm that we had an issue this morning for a short period of time which meant that today’s edition did not appear on all of our digital devices. This was resolved and you should now see todays edition.

If you continue to receive any issues seeing todays edition, please hard close and reopen the app. Alternatively you can uninstall and reinstall the app. For instructions on how to do this please go to the following link http://www.telegraph.co.uk/help

Wasn’t me being an eejitt then.

2. Maurice
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I was completely stumped by 22d… so simple when you see the answer!

• mary
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Not so simple really Maurice, not exactly an everyday word??!!

Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

It is a ‘quite often in a crossword’ word!

Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

It’s one of those that, when I finally get it, I know I have met before but always forget. As Mary says it’s hardly a word that you use every day.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gifDepends how many crosswords you do every day

• mary
              Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

:-)

• Bluebird
                Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

It’s poetic!

3. Deep Threat
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I agree */** for difficulty. Thanks to Gazza for the review.

I see that the Telegraph’s wall of silence has cracked slightly, with the message on the page where today’s downloads are available. I suppose that’s a start.

4. skempie
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Not sure what to make of this crossword. There were no real problems today, but I can’t say I really enjoyed it – it just felt a bit flat. Didn’t like 22D at all but then I’m not over keen on clues replacing the first letter and certainly not when there’s no real indication as to what to replace it with, it all seems a bit of a cop out.

• mary
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

I agree with all you’ve said skempie, especially re 22d and similar clues, except for the fact that I did have a couple of clues I needed help for :-)

5. Miffypops
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

A relatively easy trot today. I did this at 2am all but 8d. When I awoke and looked again I could hardly remember doing any of it. This should have left me free to work but i have avoided starting so other than laying the fire I plan to do B*****r all today. Saint Sharon is cleaning out the chicken house. When she finishes I have a list of jobs for her to do.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Thank you setter. For me was at the easier end of the scale – so must be a doddle for most contributors ! Thanks Gazza for the review and hints. You made the correct choice at 27a !

7. Graham
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Fairly easy bar 22D which wasn’t a word I was familiar with, that apart this was quite enjoyable.Many thanks to Gazza for the review especially the picture for 27.

8. julian of EC4
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Well what a breeze. and yes you did choose the right pic for 27a, IMHO. Not often I finish the puzzle before the coffee gets cold, so no excuse not to attack a pile of odious chores. Thanks to setter and Gazza, At least it all works once the puzzle appears even if it is suffering from multiple injuries. Perhaps they are still trying to work out where the lightning struck this time:….http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gif

9. pommers
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Arachne’s puzzle in the Graun today is at the easier end of her scale but a lot of fun!

Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Great stuff from Arachne full of well-targetted Daily Mail baiting. I can’t see anything like this appearing in the Telegraph (more’s the pity).

• 2Kiwis
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Yes. We enjoyed it too.
      Sure beats the frustration of waiting six and a half hours for the Telegraph to bother putting the puzzles on line. Do they believe that all solvers live in the UK time zone, or do they just not care about distant subscribers?

• andy
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Did the Graun this evening , totally concur, 11a superb

10. mary
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gifGood morning gazza, I feel so sorry for the dilemma you were in re choosing the right illustration for 27a , thanks for the hints I needed help with a couple, having put ‘heel’ in at 15a, didn’t help with 16d, so that was my last in!!! fav clue 12a, least fav 22d, must be just me, because I didn’t find it that easy today, I blame it on the fact that I have a virus that makes me feel yucky enough not to go out but not yucky enough to be in bed!!!

• mary
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

By the way I’ve never heard of the biscuit!!!

Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

See if you can find the chocolate ones – they are very good.

• Dickiedot
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Well well the information learned on here! I had never heard of chocolate ones, thanks Sue I’ll have to try them
          200g Chocolate ???????

Rich, dark chocolate, generously enrobed around a crisp slow-baked biscuit

Chocolate ??????? are the ultimate biscuit indulgence, made using a patented recipe from the 1930’s, which includes hops and malt, with the thickest, richest dark chocolate.
          These biscuits are infamous – in fact it is said that John Lennon of The Beatles once refused to be paid in cash, preferring Chocolate ??????? instead!

Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Way back in the early 70s when I worked in London, I had a boss who used to buy the chocolate ones for me from Fortnum & Mason! For no other reason, I seem to remember, other than the fact that it gave him an excuse to eat them too.

• Steve_the_beard
              Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

The way to a girl’s heart is through her tastebuds?

• Graham
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Crumbs!

• mary
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gifIsn’t that what the mother biscuit said when baby biscuit got run over

• SheilaP
            Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Like it, Mary. Ehttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• Graham
            Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Yes I guess that one takes the biscuit.

• ruth
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

Scraping the barrel !

• Graham
            Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Nice one lol.

• Miffypops
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

A Bath Oliver is a hard, dry biscuit or cracker made from flour, butter, yeast and milk; often eaten with cheese. It was invented by physician William Oliver of Bath, Somerset around 1750, giving the biscuit its name.

When Oliver died, he bequeathed to his coachman, Mr. Atkins, the recipe for the Bath Oliver biscuit, together with £100 and ten sacks of the finest wheat-flour. Atkins promptly set up his biscuit baking business and became rich. Later the business passed to a man named Norris who sold out to a baker called Carter. After two further changes of ownership, in the 1950s the Bath Oliver biscuit recipe passed to James Fortt. (Wikipedia. Viewed today)

Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I’m sure they were meant to be eaten with cheese, preferably Stilton – I can’t imagine anything worse than a choccy Bath Oliver – digestives or hobnobs, yes, but not Bath Olivers.
          You sound as if you know what you’re talking about so I probably shouldn’t argue but I seriously doubt that they have yeast in them.

• Expat Chris
            Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Here you go, Kath. An 1890 “receipt” for Bath Oliver Biscuits.

1 quart of milk, 1 lb. of butter, 2 ozs. of German yeast, 6 1/2 lbs. of flour. Make the milk warm, add the sugar, yeast and a handful of flour to form a ferment, let it ferment for an hour and a half. Rub the butter into the remaining flour and make all into a nice smooth dough; let it stand about two hours, then roll it out thin; cut the biscuits out with a cutter about three inches in diameter, dock them well, place on clean tins sprinkled with water, wash over with milk when you have them all off, put them in a steam press or drawers for half an hour, and bake in a cool oven.

• mary
              Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

:-)

Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Give in! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif
              And one for Miffypops because I shouldn’t have doubted someone who so clearly knew what they were talking about. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

• mary
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the info MP

• Posted December 3, 2013 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

Didn’t you finish this one (2 down)?

Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Sorry about the lurgy – hope that you feel better soon. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• mary
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks Kath :-)

Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Straightforward but entertaining. Thanks to the Mysteron and Gazza.

12. Clarky
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

I spent too long talking ‘to’ old Nick, hence 8d was a struggle. However, having 20a in place 22d was straightforward although I’m not familiar with the word.
    Plenty of time to get on with less entertaining tasks now though. Thanks as always.

13. McMillibar
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Okay, I’m back. Just to say that an hour’s break achieved nowt useful. A couple of killer words in there stymied me. At least I have learned a few new words today. the Prayer one 22d, and the plant 8d. I am just wondering to whom you would turn to, Gazza if you cannot complete an answer… or does that never happen?

Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

It’s more likely to happen on a Toughie, in which case I’d call on the fertile minds of other bloggers.

• McMillibar
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Hang on a mo, Gazza. You are not a black dog, are you? Even if you are, thanks for the answers. I’ll save a scmacko for you.

• Miffypops
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

He would call on Crypticsue or Big Dave, surely.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

I agree with 1*/2* for difficulty but maybe a bit more for enjoyment – somewhere between 3* and 4*, not that I’m trying to be difficult here.
    The only problems I had were in the bottom right corner and even they didn’t take too long to sort out – I was slow with 25 and 28a and 22 and 24d.
    I liked 12 and 17a and 6 and 8d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and gazza.
    I knew all the blokes would appreciate the picture for 27a but, as a girl, I quite liked the one for 8d.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I misread your last sentence, Kath, and thought that it was the gentleman at 2d that turned you on.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

PS I had an email from Poppy – she is OK but struggling a bit with lots of friends and close relatives getting really ill – she says it always seems to happen at this time of year. She sends regards to everyone here and says she misses the blog and hopes to be back before too long.

• mary
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Well done Kath, it is always nice to know someone is missing you :-)

Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Kath, at least we know she is all right. Give her our best.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

I will.

16. spindrift
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Re:22d ~ Sean Bean’s reading of the poem by Wilfred Owen is extremely moving. I studied the Great War poems at school but never imagined that particular ode spoken in a broad Yorkshire accent.

• McMillibar
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

The missus is rather fond of him too. She has to have a little sit down when she sees him on the box. I don’t get it when she’s got me.

• Expat Chris
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

I’m rather partial to him myself!

• spindrift
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Who? Wilfred Owen or Sean Bean?

Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

No contest!

• Steve_the_beard
              Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

And we were all hoping that you could be wooed by brain rather than brawn!

• spindrift
              Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

While Mr Bean does have a broad Yorkshire accent it is from the southern part of God’s Own County and almost verges on a Derbyshire twang. A real Yorkshire accent would come from the North Riding where men are men & so are some of the women…

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I’ve always wanted to hear Robert Frost’s “Mending Wall” read in a broad Yorkshire accent…

• spindrift
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Aye- good fences make good neighbours.

• Bluebird
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Not a common event, but for some reason I was reading a lot of poetry last night which kept me up till 2am……

I put it down to the lack of daylight.

Did anyone watch the Keats biopic last week?

Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I started late today and finshed early! My rating today is 1*/2.5*, and I agree with Gazza’s comments.

I’ve never heard of the answer to 28a nor the plant in 8d, but the wordplay was clear so this didn’t hold me up.

Thanks to Mr. Ron for a pleasant puzzle and to Gazza for his review and pictures.

18. angel
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Good , if rather brief, fun today. Always pleased to increase my vocabulary viz. 28a and 22d – needed Thesaurus for those. Fav clues 12a and 8d. Funny how puzzles so frequently present excuse for a page 3 girl in the hints! **/***.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I liked it. Just enough more challenging clues to give me pause. 11A was the runaway favorite for me today…made me smile when I got the answer. Many thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

20. Beaver
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Agree with Gazza’s rating , loved the pics ,especially 2d-takes me back to Crewe Station and the ‘smoke Hole’-Ian Allan spotters book held tightly in hand- jeurnesse doree days indeed! Anyway pleasant enough diversion today, ready for Mr Johnson and friends tomorrow night, may a good sledge be had by all!

• Bluebird
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I applaud you for being able to mentally juxtapose ” jeunesse doree” and “anorak”

The iPad chooses to predict the French expression as Jeanette Doreen. This seems to sit better with anorak, n’est-ce pas?

21. BigBoab
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter for a pleasant crossword and to Gazza for the amusing review.

22. Steve_the_beard
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

27A – where the most powerful force in Nature was revealed to Man :-)

23. pommers
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

We enjoyed this but it didn’t put up much of a fight! */**** from us. Got all but 3 acrosses on first pass and then cleaned the downs http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif
    I think 11a was probably favourite.

Thanks to Mr Ron and Gazza

BTW, re 27a (nice piccy Gazza), there was this in the Rufus puzzle in yesterday’s Grauniad:

Pacific island in which one may be found sunbathing (6)

24. Maeve
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

This is my first comment. I have been following this blog for some weeks now and it has been a great help to me. Today and yesterday I completed the whole without consulting you and I am chuffed to bits! Thank you so much for explaining the various hidden hints that I did not understand. Keep up the good work. Does Gazza also appear on Answerbank regarding the Rainbow quizzes? Mind your p’s and q’s was the last one and I finished it off quite quickly for once.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Maeve and well done on your progress.
      I do occasionally contribute to Answerbank (not under the same name) but I don’t know anything about Rainbow quizzes.

• McMillibar
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

Hi Maeve, welcome. Enjoy the people – I have from about a month ago. expect to see you here tomorrow then. ; )

Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Sorry to disagree but I found this far far harder than yesterday’s esp the right hand side.
    For me ***/**. Difficulty as has been aid many times before is like Beauty, very much in the eye of the beholder.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Brian
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Sorry forgot my manners, Thx to Gazza for the invaluable hints and to the setter.

• Brian
        Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Finished now and would to change the enjoyment score to 0.5* in light of 6d and 22d neither of which I have ever heard of. Did like 12a but that’s about it for me.

• mary
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:34 pm | Permalink

Same here :-)

• pommers
          Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Surprised you’ve not come across the biscuits Brian. They really are quite delicious with a bit of Blue Stilton and a glass of port, and they turn up in crosswords every now and then.

• Collywobbles
            Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I used to work at the Huntley & Palmers factory where they were made, a long, long time ago so this clue was a gift. Otherwise I found the puzzle very enjoyable but in 1*/2* territory (perhaps I’m getting better at last). Many thanks to Gazza for the hints, I had to refer to two, and to the setter (I’ve forgotten who it is on Wednesdays)

Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Its Jay on Wednesdays, but here in England it’s Tuesday so it is the work of a Mysteron.

• Collywobbles
                Posted December 4, 2013 at 8:19 am | Permalink

I knew we, in France were ahead of you but I didn’t think it was that much CS. I think that I’ve lost track of time

• mary
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

I’m with you Brian :-(

26. Derek
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Another peasant puzzle – not very tasking!

Faves : 11a, 17a, 23a, 2d,.6d & 22d.

The last time I bought 6d, I was actually in Bath and also visited the Roman baths there!

Gazza your choice of chick for 27a was appreciated! O to be young again!

Nurse comes again tomorrow to examine my feet – right one is agonising!

Thursday, my daughter and family come chez moi to celebrate Sinterklaas!

Fish and chips tonight – my household help brought a lovely fillet of Zeewolf (angler fish)!

27. HughGfan
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

I agree with Gazza a very pleasant puzzle although got stuck on 8d as I put Keats for the poet. Doh!

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

So 8D would have been TERIFIK then? :-)

Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I had no problems with this one as I had heard of 22d and 6d before, more than likely in crosswords. I had to look up the plant in 8d and I’ll take your word that 2d means a trainspotter, otherwise pretty much a walk in the park. Thanks to setter and Gazza for hints, not needed today.

Posted December 3, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

2d isn’t specifically a trainspotter – it’s anyone who is interested in hobbies that others find dull. I think I’ll leave it at that for risk of offending people but could go on to name a few other things. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted December 3, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Aha, thanks for the explanation! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

29. soup-dragon
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

The link in the DT puzzles page is taking me to yesterday’s puzzles. Has anyone got a link to today’s?

Posted December 3, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

This one was all over very quickly for us. Lots of smiley moments so good fun.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

31. Steve_the_beard
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02752/Tue_Dec_3_CQ_27_35_2752659a.pdf

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted December 3, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

That was meant to be a reply to soup-dragon!

I suspect you need to flush your buffer, but copy the PDF reference above into the address field in your brower and you’ll be fine.

32. una
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle which didn’t turn out to be quite as easy I first thought. Thanks to all concerned.

33. soup-dragon
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Thanks Steve_the_beard, all ok now

Posted December 3, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review and hints. A nice puzzle, not too tricky, managed it ok without the hints. Favourite was 28a. Was 2*/3* for me. Late blogging due to organising the Squash Tournament & attending the Hackney Beer Festival.

35. andy
    Posted December 3, 2013 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

22d dredged from somewhere in the addled memory. Ta to Gazza and Setter. In the Newspaper version under todays Toughie there is an advert from the Telegraph “Enjoy all your favourite puzzles online”. I’ll just keep going to the Newsagent I think

36. Catnap
    Posted December 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this puzzle a lot. My fave was 6d. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif
    Many thanks to Mr Ron. And many thanks to Gazza for excellent hints which I did not need.