Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty **/***Enjoyment ***

This otherwise very good puzzle from Jay was, for me, slightly spoilt by an excess of anagrams. Over a third of the clues used an anagram or partial anagram.

1a    Pretend hoarding gold is strange (7)
{FOREIGN} – a verb meaning to pretend around the heraldic term for gold

9a    Querulous and demanding talent up for modelling (8)
{PETULANT} – An anagram (for modelling) of TALENT UP

10a    Allowance from crown included in dispatch (7)
{STIPEND} – a crown or apex inside (included in) a verb meaning to dispatch

11a    Feature of country walks by the walls of Broadmoor (8)
{BRAMBLES} – a verb meaning walks preceded by the outer letters (walls) of BroadmooR

12a    A way of working on board ship before a tasty snack (6)
{SAMOSA} – the first A from the clue and a two-letter abbreviation for a way of working inside (on board) the usual SteamShipand followed by the other A from the clue

13a    Sorry, but left the last word with board (10)
{LAMENTABLE} – L(eft) followed by the last word (and so be it) and a board

15a    Honour head of transport in charge (4)
{FÊTE} – the initial letter (head) of Transport inside a charge

16a    Acknowledge developing regions outside European community (9)
{RECOGNISE} – an anagram (developing) of REGIONS around (outside) the abbreviation for the European Community

21a    Note from doctor following case of malpractice (4)
{MEMO} – a two-letter abbreviation for a doctor after (following) the outer letters (case) of MalpracticE

22a    Disreputable individual‘s defender crossing line with followers (5,5)
{BLACK SHEEP} – a football defender around L(ine) and then some animals known for following each other

24a    Attack man-hours wasted with no degree (6)
{ONRUSH} – an anagram (wasted) of (MA)N-HOURS without the MA (degree)

25a    Vision certainly found in rowing crew (8)
{EYESIGHT} – an affirmative (certainly) inside a rowing crew like one of those that contest the annual Boat Race

27a    Mad Blairite with no time for an African republic (7)
{LIBERIA} – an anagram (mad) of BLAIRI(T)E without the T(ime)

28a    EEC’s changes applied to fossil fuel blend (8)
{COALESCE} – an anagram (changes) of EEC’S after (applied to) a fossil fuel

29a    Fish cooked with gin (7)
{WHITING} – an anagram (cooked) of WITH GIN

2d    Exposed peer given hearing and banned (8)
{OUTLAWED} – an adjective meaning exposed followed by what, in some quarters, sounds like a peer of the realm

3d    Boss‘s tactic adopted by engineers turning up (8)
{EMPLOYER} – a tactic inside the reversal (turning up in a down clue) of some military engineers, not the usual ones but the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers

4d    Pleasing changes covering account for over-the-top pubs (3,7)
{GIN PALACES} – an anagram (changes) of PLEASING around (covering) AC(count)

5d    Lawyers accept direction from stand (4)
{BEAR} – the legal profession around a compass direction gives a verb meaning to stand or endure

6d    Married twice in case at law conference (6)
{SUMMIT} – MM (married twice) inside a legal case

7d    Left party in street to get a jumper (7)
{WALLABY} – L(eft) and the three-letter abbreviation for a political party inside a street

8d    Sat awkwardly with cast hidden away (7)
{STASHED} – an anagram (awkwardly) of SAT followed by a verb meaning to cast off an outer layer

11d    Please stay (2,2,5)
{BE MY GUEST} – a request to stay with someone

14d    Fix European digital coverage (4,6)
{NAIL POLISH} – a verb meaning to fix followed by a European nationality gives “coverage” for part of the fingers

17d    Excitedly greet men coming out (8)
{EMERGENT} – an anagram (excitedly) of GREET MEN

18d    Something left out from old assignment (8)
{OMISSION} – O(ld) followed by an assignment

19d    Sailor wanting change of scene will be notable by this (7)
{ABSENCE} – the usual sailor followed by an anagram (change) of SCENE

20d    Arrived with artist bearing television equipment (7)
{CAMERAS} – a verb meaning arrived followed by the usual artist and a compass bearing

23d    Criminal fined after king is stabbed (6)
{KNIFED} – an anagram (criminal) of FINED after K(ing)

26d    Writer‘s shed losing roof (4)
{HACK} – a writer or journalist is derived when the initial letter (roof) is dropped (losing) from a shed

Scchua is on a gastronomic trip to Hong Kong, but should be back next week.

The Quick crossword pun: (sun} + {tall} + {buns} = {St Albans}

1. McMillibar
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Ouch… used up 90 minutes of my time and only got it half-done. Had to resort to BD’s key to get on with my day.
    Feel pretty beaten up yet when I see the answers I am black and blue with self-inflicted kicks. Solvers, tell me it’s not just me!!

• Miffypops
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I have felt like that at times. I am looking forward to a few rounds with Ray T tomorrow. I think I am ready for the sucker punch but who knows.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Is that Saint Sharon with a battering ram?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• Miffypops
          Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

That is Saint Sharon’s Mum with the Olympic Torch

• Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Usually we discourage the posting of solving times as it might discourage others, but in your case I am happy to make an exception!

• McMillibar
        Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Noted. Any mentions of solving time are a thing of the past for me! Tomorrow is another day. Now… where is that new copy of the Eye to peruse with lunch.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

In that case I’m going to say how long it’s taken me to do half the Toughie!

2. Collywobbles
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I hate those partial anagrams

3. skempie
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Got this done relatively quickly but had to wait for ages until my laptop got upgraded to 8.1 – why do these things take so long?

NW corner held me up for a while until I realised that the required engineers wren’t just RE, after that they all fell into place. Favourite today was 7 – again it took a while but felt gave a very satisfying feeling once it went in and the light bulb popped on above the noggin.

Wow – into a clear lead today :- Daily Advertiser 1 : Crossword 2 !!!! Seems to me to make much more sense to put these full pages spreads in at page 2 and 3, at least they got looked at (admittedly very briefly). http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Whoever turned off the heating, can you pop it back on again please.

• skempie
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Forgot to mention, I thought the quickie pun was superb.

• Miffypops
        Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I took ages on it as I could not get Subalterns out of my head. Eventually the home of The Campaign For Real Ale came into view.

4. Miffypops
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

A hat trick of wonderful crosswords this week. Here is hoping for a fourth from Ray T tomorrow and a fifth from Giovanni on Friday. The top left corner took a while at the end today but once i solved the wonderful 3d the rest fell in quickly. I don’t mind how many of each type of clue there are in any day. I love them all. Unfortunately i have a 4d to run and an open University assignment to do so no time today for The toughie. Thanks to everyone involved here and hello to the newcomers from yesterday. I am fed up with walnuts.

• Brian
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

OMG I sincerely hope not for tomorrow!

• Miffypops
        Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Oh come now Brian. You will be able to have a good old moan. We all know you enjoy one of those

• Steve_the_beard
          Posted November 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Does Brian have the willpower to stop at one? http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wink.gif

Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I think we also enjoy Brian’s moans!

5. MichaelP
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

I also struggled with this one and had to wait for Big Dave’s hints for 1a and 7d before I could finish. Despite the agony I enjoyed it with some clever plays on words.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you Jay, an enjoyable puzzle. NW last in, so started at the bottom and worked upwards as they say. For some reason on the right wavelength today. Thanks BD for the review, hints and photos. A pint of 22a is very acceptable !

7. Beaver
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

A**/*** for me today ,logical solve, apart from 1a where I was looking to insert ‘g’ or ‘au’ for gold-
    .eventually got there .Thanks BD for the usual entertaining pics; long time since I saw Mr D in 11d-still going I believe,remembered the song for my sins, and hav’nt had a pint of 22a for a while either, bought a tie once in Wales which had a design of about 20 white sheep with one black one in the middle-most apt.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one with some super clues (13a, 22a and 14d), I just love clever clues like these. Rather spoilt for me by the top right corner which totally defeated me until I looked at BDs hints for 11a then got the rest but certainly didn’t find them at all easy. Must say I had no idea how to define querulous and the BRB didn’t help only giving complaining or peevish, have to try to remember that one. Thx to Jay for a nice puzzle and to BD for rescuing me from the dastardly top corner.

9. Himself
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks to BD for explanation of 1D.
    I had outed for exposed and couldn’t grasp how law fitted!

Posted November 13, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

The most straightforward Jay for some time, and I didn’t even have to start with the Downs! Thanks to him and BD for the nice start to Wednesday/explanations.

The Toughie has got lost on its way to Friday! That’s all I am saying until I can comment in the right place to do so!

Posted November 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I hit Jay’s wavelength immediately today. A very logical solve, with each quadrant completed before moving on to the next. I even understood all the wordplay! The surfeit of anagrams helped, I must say. Suprisingly, though, the only one I had ticked was 14D. Many thanks to Jay and BIg D.

Then, full of confidence, I started the Toughie. Started is the operative word. Oh, my, CS!

12. stanXYZ
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Good Lord! I now understand 2d!

Thanks to BD for the explanation – especially as you’re doing Double Duty in the absence of scchua!

13. BigBoab
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and BD for a very enjoyable and not over taxing crossword and an immaculate review.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

A lovely puzzle – I found it fairly straightforward for a Wednesday and agree with CS that I didn’t even have to start with the downs. 2* difficulty and at least 4* for enjoyment.
    I hadn’t noticed the high anagram count until I read BD’s introduction but that could have something to do with finding it easy’ish and very enjoyable – I like anagrams.
    I did almost all of it without too much head scratching and then I got to the top left hand corner which took a lot longer.
    I don’t know about brambles being a feature of country – they’re becoming a bit of a feature of our garden too!
    Lots of really good clues – 11 and 21a and 7d. I’m going to have to make an exception to my self-imposed rule and say my joint favourites are 11 and 14d.
    With thanks to Jay and BD.
    I was thinking about having a sneaky look at the Toughie but feel fairly well warned off – I have to keep some of the day’s bravery to watch ‘Poirot’s Last Case’ tonight – I know it’s going to make me cry – I’m such a weed. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

I am a weeper, too, and weep copiously at all the soppy shows, especially involving animals! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve never understood the saying “it’s the exception that proves the rule”, but perhaps that applies in this case?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Himself
        Posted November 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

I believe that the Scottish meaning of prove is test.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Watch it – I’ll be waving my big stick around again tomorrow! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

PS I had an email from Poppy. Talk about a catalogue of problems and disasters – it sounds as if they’ve been having a really tough time. She ended up with an awful migraine and has had to stay off the computer for a while but is just getting back to it. She says she misses the blog, will be back soon and sends regards to all.

• Miffypops
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Aaaahh! Send her my best wishes please Kath.

• andy
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

And best wishes to Poppy from me too please

• Heno
      Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Best wishes to poppy from me too.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

I had missed her and wondered where she had gone. Please give her best wishes for recovery and we miss her.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 6:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks – I’ll pass all this on.

16. Wallace
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

Found this one relatively straightforward today, after really struggling with yesterdays, of which the general consensus seemed to be it was fairly straightforward. I find it endlessly fascinating how there is such a mix of how people rate the difficulty of different puzzles. After BDs comments about the anagram count then maybe that’s why I didn’t struggle too much with today’s effort as I think I’m not too bad at solving anagram clues.

D */** – E *** for me today.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

My rating today is 2*/4* for a most enjoyable and entertaining puzzle.

Although I found Monday’s puzzle over-egged with anagrams, like Kath I didn’t notice todayhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_scratch.gif

Also like Kath I thought 11d and 14d were superb; lots of other clues were excellent too – I had put asterisks by 13a, 21a, 25a and 7d.

After yesterday’s debate about homophones, I must say I think “lord” and “lawed” is a step too far, but that would be my only (very minor) criticism of a wonderful puzzle.

Many thanks to Jay and to BD.

18. Jii B
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Finished with the top left corner and was defeated by 2d – want to kick myself. Otherwise a good puzzle and was amused by 14d in particular. Many thanks to Jay and to Big Dave for that final answer.
    ***/***

19. ChrisH
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

What a difference a day makes! An absolute stroll in the park compared with Tuesday, virtually a write-in. There’s no accounting for it. */***
    Can’t say I noticed an abundance of anagrams to be honest. I might just have a peep at the Toughie today. That should bring me back to earth!

Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Jay and to Big Dave for the review and hints. How strange, I found yesterday’s quite straightforward, but really struggled with this. I normally start at the top left, and my first clue in was 21a. I managed to complete the bottom half, then the NE, which left the dreaded NW, where I needed the hint for 12a. Then had to look up 2d and 1a, just couldn’t see either. I agree with BD’s comments regarding the anagrams. In 11a, was the word “walks” doing double duty? Favourite was 7d, was 4*/3* for me. Lovely day in Central London, had a nice run this morning. On to the Toughie.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm | Permalink

I don’t think ‘walks’ in 11a is doing double duty, although I can see what you mean. The definition is ‘feature of country’ rather than ‘feature of country walks’ which I think is how you’re reading it. We’ll have to wait for Mary as things doing double duty are her bug-a-boos.

• Expat Chris
        Posted November 13, 2013 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

I have very fond memories of blackberrying along nearby country lanes as a kid with a big basket (or a bucket) and a walking stick to pull down the high brambles…and delicious homemade jam!. Sadly those Gloucestershire lanes have long been built over by housing estates and we just don’t seem to have hedgerows over here, just drainage ditches or fences.

Now I’m longing for a jam buttie!

Posted November 13, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

My Dad used to go out blackberrying in Worcestershire where we grew up – he could never resist the ‘something for nothing’ – he was an accountant but I’m not sure whether that’s relevant or not! He used to go out with two colanders, a length of string and however many dogs we had at the time. The piece of string was so that he could hang one colander round his neck so that he could use both hands to pick with. When one colander was full he would untie it, put it on the ground and then fill the other one. One day he was thinking of other things and lost track of how many times he’d filled the colanders – every time he’d put a full one on the ground the dogs had eaten them – oh dear . . .

Posted November 13, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Chris, my family are from Glos as well. Mum from a village called Saul and my Dad from Glos City itself. I remember our blackberrying as children when we went “home” for long leave! Quite a change for us little savages from Jamaica

• skempie
            Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Merusa, you’d probably still recognise Saul, things around there haven’t changed very much and there’s been very little building around the area. We visit Slimbridge (just down the road) quite a lot, it was Sir Peter Scott’s first bird reserve, now part of the Wetlands and Wildfowl Trust – lots of swans, geese, ducks and (for some reason) flamingoes.

Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Yes, we used to visit Slimbridge. Gran’s house was called Fairview, on that road beside the church, but there weren’t too many houses there then. I went there a couple of years ago and there are many houses now. We used to go to the movies at Frampton, I remember seeing Will Hay! Now there’s a backward glance!

Posted November 14, 2013 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Mum used to go to school in Glos via the Glos/Sharpness canal from Saul … early 20th century stuff!

• Expat Chris
              Posted November 14, 2013 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Funny, I had pulled an old autographed copy of Peter Scott’s ” The Eye of the Wind” off my booksheves not long ago to re-read. I’m originally from Cheltenham, a hop and a skip from Gloucester. Used to go over on the the bus to to Gloucester to the Bon Marche for Christmas shopping!

Kath, whereabouts in Worcs are you from? My husband is from Eckington. I always get a kick out of Americans trying to pronounce what they call wore-cest-er-shire sauce. I tell them it’s Wooster, like in Bertie. B ut they don’t get that!

• Posted November 14, 2013 at 7:45 am | Permalink

Don’t forget the shire! It’s Wooster-shire.

• Sweet William
              Posted November 14, 2013 at 8:17 am | Permalink

Coincidence – we will be at WWT Caerlaverock on Monday after a bit of a round trip – Blacktoft Sands today, Saltholme tomorrow, family in NE at the weekend, WWT and Mersehead on Monday and Tuesday. Got to sit down – the excitement is too much !

• Ruth
          Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Brambles have invaded the pyrocanthos in the front garden, but we leave the berries for the birds.

21. Angel
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

OK if not one of my favourites but liked a few clues including 11d and 14d. ***/**. I go along with BD on superfluity of anagrams and Rabbit Dave on today’s homophone. To prove our point, try saying “Lord” and “Lawed” with an American accent!

Posted November 13, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

I was dead on wavelength today and loved it. So many good clues, really can’t point to a favourite, except that the illustration for 11d made my toes tap. Dear Fats, haven’t heard him in a long time. Really didn’t have a problem with anything, last one in was 5d as I kept wanting to put in “dais” which was so obviously wrong. Thanks to Jay for puzzle and BD for review, entertaining as always. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

Posted November 13, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

We thought that the surface readings were exceptionally smooth in this puzzle that was over a bit too quickly. No complaint, just got us on to the Toughie a bit sooner than expected and that one needed the extra time. An enjoyable solve.
    Thanks Jay and BD.

24. Michael
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

A disaster all round today – first the paperboy didn’t deliver the Telegraph this morning – my wife went round to Martins the Newsagent and was told the van had broken down on the Motorway and they’d had no delivery – then she went to Tesco’s and Sainsbury’s and they’d both sold out!

I resorted in printing the Crossword off from the online version – and lo and behold I was struggling from the off. I am definitely not on this compilers wavelength – on the first pass I had about four answers and came to a full stop!

I needed BD’s blog to get anywhere today – thanks for that but a but I found it all a bit depressing!

As Scarlett O’Hara says in ‘Gone with the Wind’ – ‘Ah well, remember tomorrow is another day!’ – but let’s hope it’s better than this one!

25. Brendan
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyable – I especially liked 14d. Thanks to Jay and BD.

26. Ruth
    Posted November 13, 2013 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

No internet for most of today, so no anagram solver and the temptation to peek at hints was removed.Made it all seem a little harder. I liked 11a and 11d and 14a and many others.Thanks to BD and Jay.
    I’m thinking of getting an I-pad but , while away, Mr Ruth’s one wouldn’t upload the puzzle .Something about Flash player (which I think you can’t download to that devise). I have noticed people complaining in the past, about phone app’s , I thought. Anybody got any suggestions ?

• Miffypops
      Posted November 14, 2013 at 2:22 am | Permalink

Get an ipad.

• Ruth
        Posted November 14, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Well , that’s unequivocal anyway . Thanks.

27. Catnap
    Posted November 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

A lovely Jay puzzle! Lots of anagrams, but I do enjoy them. I only had a problem with one clue, and it took me as long to reach the answer as it did to solve the whole of the rest of the puzzle! I was at a loss how to parse the 2nd, 3rd and 4th letters of 12a!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif Plenty of super clues. Joint faves definitely 11a and 14d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif
    Thanks to Jay for the entertaining puzzle and to Big Dave for his excellent hints.