Hints and tips by Falcon

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Greetings from Ottawa where temperatures have been unseasonably mild and we have so far escaped with no more than an insignificant dusting of snow.

Aside from 1d, I found today’s puzzle to be a bit on the gentle side but also quite an enjoyable exercise for the most part.

1a Hit! Tenor bowed (7)
{ THUMPED } — T(enor) and an adjective meaning bowed (like a camel’s back)

5a Small bunk’s what a good soldier should be given (7)
{ STRIPES } — S(mall) and another word for nonsense together with the trailing S

9a As Melanie’s hugging Anton’s heart softens (5)
{ MELTS } — a nickname for Melanie and her trailing S encircle the middle letter (heart) of (An)T(on)

10a Youth‘s twisted hooch lid, beginning to drink (9)
{ CHILDHOOD } — anagram (twisted) of HOOCH LID to which is appended the initial letter (beginning) of D(rink)

11a After start of lecture he praised, worryingly, what Thatcher showed? (10)
{ LEADERSHIP } — initial letter (start) of L(ecture) followed by an anagram (worryingly) of HE PRAISED

12a Only a pool (4)
{ MERE } — double definition

14a Strange air about good and refined type of worker in the country? (12)
{ AGRICULTURAL } — start with an anagram (strange) of AIR containing (about) G(ood) and follow that with an adjective that can be applied to the arts and intellectual achievements

18a Crate’s broken down, support’s in vehicles making tracks (12)
{ CATERPILLARS } — anagram (broken down) of CRATES containing a supporting column

21a Do as you’re told? No — be yourself to an extent (4)
{ OBEY } — hidden in (to an extent) nO BE Yourself

22a Special parking needed by lorry Raul’s manoeuvring (10)
{ PARTICULAR } — a charade of P(arking), a short name for a long lorry, and an anagram (manoeuvring) of RAUL

25a Enticing long leg might be doing this (9)
{ APPEALING } — what this fielder is doing when yelling “How’s that?”

26a Urn thrown inside that is to harden (5)
{ INURE } — anagram (thrown) of URN contained in the Latin abbreviation for that is

27a Hearing strange noises following start of stomachache (7)
{ SESSION } — anagram (strange) of NOISES following initial letter (start) of S(tomachache)

28a Ash, perhaps, wrapped around tips of stakes — they’re left for support (7)
{ TRESTLE } — the type of plant of which an ash is an example containing the initial letters of (tips) S(takes) T(hey’re) L(eft)

1d Pattern cut in card left out in place of worship (6)
{ TEMPLE } — I presume that we start with a word meaning pattern (a word that can assume either of two alternative spellings) from which we must remove either AT or T (depending on which version of the word we started with) to arrive at the solution. However, beyond that the wordplay has me stumped. Should either AT or T mean “cut in card”, then the wordplay would become blatantly obvious. However, I can find nothing to support that approach. start with a term for a pattern cut in card (making sure you use the longer of the two possible spellings), and then remove (left out) the preposition AT (in)

2d Discharge gun finally with a loud shot (6)
{ UNLOAD } — an anagram (shot) where the fodder is the final letter of (gu)N plus (with) A LOUD

3dFares going up on flights? (10)
{ PASSENGERS } — a cryptic definition of those paying to travel by air

4d Cuts or clips where cutters or clippers may be found (5)
{ DOCKS } — triple definition; reductions in pay, reductions in tails, or places where ocean-going vessels tie up

5d Religious ceremony supporting leaders in small Pacific island (9)
{ SPIRITUAL } — a ceremony (yes, of the religious variety) is preceded by (supporting, in a down clue) the initial letters (leaders) of S(mall) P(acific) I(sland)

6d Perch on back of horse? That’s what jockey did (4)
{ RODE } — an antiquated linear land measure that is also known as a pole followed by the final letter (back) of (hors)E

7d Trailblazers — one found in jetties (8)
{ PIONEERS } — ONE (from the clue) contained in another name for a place where ships tie up

8d Rocky dude — Sly — boxing third of contenders straight away (8)
{ SUDDENLY } — anagram (rocky) of DUDE SLY containing (boxing) the third letter of (co)N(tenders)

13d Hot tart cooked full of beans (10)
{ ATTRACTIVE } — anagram (cooked) of TART followed by an adjective denoting full of energy

15d Check headless cod (9)
{ IMITATION } — remove the initial letter (headless) from a word meaning restriction or constraint to get a cod that is not authentic

16d Disciples finding type of energy’s surrounding church (8)
{ SCHOLARS } — a type of energy (collected by panels on your roof, perhaps) together with its trailing S containing the generic abbreviation for CH(urch)

17d Tries bait regularly with lures (8)
{ ATTEMPTS } — a regular sequence of letters drawn from (b)A(i)T plus a verb meaning lures or entices

19d Female left relative to show off (6)
{ FLAUNT } — a charade of F(emale), L(eft) and a typically older female relative

20d Artwork delivers for audience (6)
{ FRIEZE } — sounds like (for audience) a verb meaning delivers (as slaves from bondage)

23d Drunk‘s unwilling to part with money (5)
{ TIGHT } — double definition; adjectives denoting highly intoxicated and inclined to keep a firm grasp on one’s financial holdings

24d Exhaust on one form of transport (4)
{ TAXI } — a verb meaning to make a heavy demand on someone or something followed by the Roman numeral for one

As a favourite clue, I will go with 8d but there were numerous others that I also enjoyed.

The Quick crossword pun: (filler} + {steins} = {Philistines}

Posted November 7, 2013 at 8:24 am | Permalink

Near to 3* difficulty for me – thanks to setter and Falcon

2. mary
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Not finished this yet Falcon but I wanted to have the explaination for 1d as I totally agree with you, can’t see it at all? Anyone…Sue?

• Miffypops
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Good Morning Mary. Pattern = Template. In place =At Leave out the At from template and you have a place of worship.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

The definition of template is actually “Pattern cut in card”

Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Isn’t that using ‘place’ twice?

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:19 am | Permalink

Yes, you are right. So my take now is:

Definition = Place of Worship
          Leave out AT (=in) from TEMPLATE (=pattern cut in card)

• Falcon
            Posted November 7, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Rabbit Dave, for the explanation. At 1:00 am my brain just could not process the fact that “in” might mean “at”. Even this morning, I had to search through a long list of usage examples before finding any where I could make that substitution. The ones that I settled on were “staying at a small hotel” and possibly “children at play”.

To complicate matters, I discovered that TEMPLATE can also be spelled TEMPLET — which apparently is the original spelling before it became corrupted.

• Collywobbles
              Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

1d was rubbish!

• Collywobbles
                Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

1a was rubbish

• Collywobbles
                  Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

28a was rubbish!

Posted November 7, 2013 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

I loved 1a – it made me laugh! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Good fun with lots of chuckles. Thought it had a Shamus feel about it, but could be wrong. Took us a bit longer than 2** time.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Falcon.

Notice that there have not been a lot of comments on this month’s MPP. It is not horrendously difficult and well having a go.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

MPP not horrendously difficult? You must be having a laugh! I can hardly do any of them, so far – oh dear!! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_unsure.gif

4. Miffypops
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:02 am | Permalink

I don’t know why but I really enjoyed todays wrestle. Very easy but not many read and write clues. Quite a few that bamboozled me on the first pass but opened up with repeated reading and checking letters. A favourite word of mine at 21ac. I find women who do this for their husbands and partners to be far happier and fulfilled in life than those who don’t or wont.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Asking for trouble there, I think! I’d duck, if I were you! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

• patsyann
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Hope Mrs Miffypops doesn’t access this site.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_lol.gifWhy do you think Mrs M is known as ‘Saint Sharon’ – she obviously has a lot to put up with

Posted November 7, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

See – don’t say I didn’t warn you! I think you’ve got off pretty lightly.

• Bluebird
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

It doesn’t surprise me that the men who think they are being obeyed are happy – it’s because they living in a dreamworld……..

It is in their women’s interests to keep them there!

• Ruth
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

I think men who obey their wifes do the right thing !

• Ruth
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

PS Found myself thinking of “Rumpole of the Bailey” and she who must be obeyed !

Posted November 7, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

Now look what you’ve started! I love it!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif
      I think it works pretty well when each allows the other to feel they have ‘won’ in a minor ‘disagreement’.

• skempie
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

Us blokes sometimes win? When was that then ??

Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

I found this tough – 3.5* for difficulty. Like Miffypops, I was staring at an almost blank grid after my first pass, and it needed several attempts to start opening it up. Nevertheless it was very enjoyable – 3* for enjoyment, with 4d my favourite.

The only thing I don’t understand is what has “cod” got to do with the answer for 15d?

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and to Falcon.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Cod (as an adjective) means fake or not authentic.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:22 am | Permalink

Thanks, Gazza. That’s a new one for me.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Me too!

6. Baffled Bob
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

The pattern cut in card would be a TEMPL-at-E, I suppose?

• Posted November 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Bob

I think that’s what we are all assuming.

7. skempie
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

No real problems today apart from trying to write ACOLYTES in for 16D, realising it didn’t fit so stopping and then not realising that some of the letters were not to be used for the across clues (thankfully, 18A started with the right letter).

Daily Advertiser 4 : Crossword 0 – not looking good for a come back this week

• Miffypops
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

I do it on my ipad now. No annoying adverts. My solving time has almost halved as I can read my writing onscreen. In the old pen and ink days I had trouble because I cannot distinguish between the letters B D and P. L and C look exactly alike and my Ns look like the letter I. A regular problem for me would be trying to solve anagrams with the wrong checking letters or looking for a word beginning with one letter only to realise later that the start letter was actually not the one I thought.. I was caned on 52 separate occasions during my first year at school for poor handwriting. I left before the end of that year and never went back.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

What sort http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gifof school canes for poor handwriting?

• skempie
          Posted November 7, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

My old school would cane someone for any reason they could invent

Posted November 7, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Was it a reform school?http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

• skempie
              Posted November 7, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

It was approved by the Government. (actually, it was run for and by the Navy)

• stanXYZ
          Posted November 7, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

We had proper School Corporal Punishment!

The ferula!

Ouch!

• Bluebird
            Posted November 7, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Projectile blackboard rubbers?.

• Brendan
            Posted November 8, 2013 at 12:02 am | Permalink

Did you go to Campion by any chance?

• Falcon
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Re: “I left before the end of that year and never went back”

Now may be your chance. Apparently some Canadian schools are discontinuing the teaching of cursive writing!

• Miffypops
          Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I am studying for an open degree at The Open University. 1st Module passed and the second one on track. All assignments so far have been sent in electronically. They are as neat and tidy as anybody elses. God only knows what will happen when I have to do written examinations.

• Bob H
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

How do u do that. I print subscribe but cannot fathom out how to get the cryptic without paying. I tried downloading the paper on my pad (not I) but it gave up after 20 mins

• Miffypops
          Posted November 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

I download the paper every day and its there along with the quickie but no Toughie.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

But then you have nothing to light the fire with . . . see later comment!

Posted November 7, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Thank you setter. I found this very difficult but managed to finish it. Like others I have the answer for 1d but the wordplay is mystifying and I wondered if there had been a misprint. Thanks Falcon for your review, hints and photos. I needed your explanation of the wordplay for 28a – again I had the answer but struggled to understand it !

Posted November 7, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

This was more of a 3* difficulty for me – I really enjoyed it though so 4* for that.
    Like everyone else I couldn’t understand why 1d had to be what it was but it clearly is so I give up. Needless to say I needed the hint to explain 25a – cricket again – thanks to this blog I’m better at that sort of stuff than I used to be but couldn’t do that. 22a took a while was I was trying to make it an anagram of ‘p’ for parking and ‘lorry’ and ‘Raul’ – always forget about that kind of lorry. I can’t spell 28a!
    I thought there were lots of really good clues so will just pick a few – 5 and 21a and 4 and 15d. My favourite was 1a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and Falcon.
    Going to have a go at Toughie later.

• skempie
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Re : 22A, my first thought was an anagram of lorry and Rauls but after looking at the number of Ls and Rs and vowels, decided it was a no-no. Got it second attempt though.

10. John
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

!d Is TEMPLE. Template with at taken out

11. Beaver
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Thought todays offering was tricky, not many ‘write in ‘ clues, about a ***,like most the’ at’ removal from 1d escaped me for a while till the penny dropped, the’ at ‘being position or place , liked 18a and 25a,going for a **** for enjoyment like Kath If you were new to cryptic crosswords,,this would put you off for life!

Posted November 7, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Falcon for the review and hints. I found this quite difficult, it was 3*/4* for me. Favourites were 4&15d. Just needed the hint for 2d, last in was 1a. Sun has gone now in Central London.

13. BigBoab
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Gentle fun, thanks to the setter and to Falcon for the review.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

If you are stuck for entertainment, and even if you are not, why not do the Paul (Dada) in the Guardian. It is not as hard as some of his and great fun.

15. Toni
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

No need for help today which is unusual for a Thursday. Really enjoyed it too.
    Favourite 14a. I love big machinery. It would be great to drive one.
    Thanks to both.

16. SheilaP
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Thought this one was quite tricky to get going with. We had to look up the other definition for cod for 15 down & although I think we have the correct answer for 5 across, I have no idea what bunk has to do with it.. Nice & sunny here in Scarborough today, but will it last? Thank you setter & hinter.

• Falcon
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Bunk is a word imported from the US. It is short for bunkum (or, as it is sometimes spelled in the US, buncombe), meaning empty talk or nonsense.

The Chambers Dictionary gives the origin of the word as Buncombe, a county in North Carolina, whose representative is said to have gone on talking in Congress, explaining that he was ‘only talking for Buncombe’.

• SheilaP
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Thank you Falcon. I’ve heard of the word bunkum, but not the shortened form

Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Was this a Ray T? Be surprised if it was as I finished over breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed it :-)

• Brian
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Just one thing, don’t understand the reference to COD in 15d although I got the first bit. Why COD?

Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

It isn’t a Ray T and Gazza explains cod at comment 5 above.

• Brian
          Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Permalink

Sorry CS I missed that. The comments are all a bit confusing today.
          Am I alone in thinking that it is an absolutely ridiculous reference. Chambers has it listed as slang which is just not on in a crossword.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm | Permalink

I think that anything listed in Chambers is probably regarded as OK in a crossword, whether it’s called slang or not.

• Falcon
            Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Re: “Chambers has it listed as slang which is just not on in a crossword. ”

Surely, Brian, that comment is itself a cod (jest). I find crosswords to be full of slang. What Chambers and Collins call “slang”, Oxford will call “informal” speech and other dictionaries will call a “colloquialism”.

By the way, according to Oxford Dictionaries Online, the term originated in the late 17th century.

• stanXYZ
            Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

What’s wrong with slang? It’s just a part of the English language … innit?

Slang noun originally the coarse language used by thieves and disreputable characters.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad they say originally the coarse language used by thieves and disreputable characters otherwise most of us who comment here would probably be in prison.

18. Jerry
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

20 across and 18 down….?

• Falcon
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

… and your question is … ?

• Jerry
        Posted November 8, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

My crossword had a 20 acroos and an 18 down, ant it seems I was not the only one, looking at a suggested answer below…..?!?

• skempie
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

And there isn’t a 20 across nor an 18 down

• Miffypops
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Sharp and Spread Possibly

19. Catherine
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Permalink

Nicely difficult puzzle today. Thanks to the setter and to Falcon. Falcon, thanks for the laugh with the picture at 23d!

• Falcon
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Catherine,

I knew that Canadian readers would appreciate that — and maybe even British readers!

• Catherine
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Yes, apparently he is a very well known Canadian right now!

Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I think he’s pretty well making the news everywhere, at least three times or more on ABC news.

20. Michael
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Quite a tricky one with a couple of ‘dubious’ clues :-

1d – how you manage to remove the ‘at’ out of ‘Template’ is a bit of a mystery (to me anyway!)

20d – the ‘delivers for audience’ bit?

I was going to add 16d but I looked up ‘????????’ In the BRB and sure enough one of the definitions was ‘disciples’ – doh!

Good fun though! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Falcon
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Re: “how you manage to remove the ‘at’ out of ‘Template’”

See the discussion at comment #2

The wordplay is TEMPLATE (pattern cut in card) with AT (in) removed (left out)

I always have trouble seeing these removal clues containing postpositive fodder (where the fodder follows, rather than precedes, the indicator). That is, the clue reads “left out IN” rather than “IN left out”.

In addition to the examples that I used earlier, I suppose that I may be able to grudgingly convince myself to accept that “The meeting took place IN London” is roughly synonymous with “The meeting took place AT London”.

Re: 20d

“for audience” is a homophone (sounds like) indicator. Thus FRIEZE (artwork) sounds like FREES (delivers, as in to deliver slaves from bondage).

• Michael
        Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that – the fog is clearing – a bit.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif

• Ian McMillan
        Posted November 8, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

“grudgingly convince myself”… I find I have to do that a fair bit with the DT. I do have quite a few ‘aw, c’mon, that’s stretching it’ moments. Completed this grid okay – last to fill being 5A. If this isn’t heresey, I find the Times more classically correct but harder – so I do the DT. Also you get the DT free now with shopping at Waitrose.
        Lastly I do amaze myself with my inability to spot alternative definitions of words – take for instance 5A – I just ‘tramlined’ on the bunk being a cot or bed. Hmm.. must free those little (and diminishing) grey cells up a bit.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I was again on wavelength and was able to finish without hints, though it took a little work. Have been following the comments on 1d but I am still not sure I can make in=at! but that’s all right, I got the answer early on and am happy with that. Thanks to setter and Falcon and the interesting discussions on 1d and 15d.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_bye.gif

• Falcon
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Hi Merusa

Re: 1d

See my reply to comment 20. Like you, I’m still not entirely comfortable with IN = AT. Maybe someone will come up with a more compelling usage example.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I think your “meeting took place at London” is the closest we’re going to get, but ……

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

I agree it’s difficult to construct a suitable example, but our bible, the BRB, gives “at” as one of the meanings of “in”. That’s good enough for me!

• Miffypops
            Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Try both words. In place = at. I think it is simple.

• Rabbit Dave
              Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

No it’s not that simple – see Gazza’s remark under comment 2. That would involve using “place” twice.

22. Cornish Pasty
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Started this one last night, found it hard going at first . I assume the solution to 15 is the sincerest form of flattery but never heard it applied to cod. Was completely stumped by 20 , thanks for the hint, should have got it as it is cold and snowing here!

Peter

• Falcon
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Oxford Dictionaries Online defines cod (used as an adjective) to be an informal British term meaning not authentic or fake. The usage example given is “a cod Mittel-European accent”.

23. Derek
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward solve for this puzzle!

No real faves from this one!

Yesterday was in Amsterdam with my daughter – we visited M&S now once more reopened in the Kalverstraat (they are also going to reopen one in The Hague) so I got some pork pies (large and small) and a jar of piccalilli. She bought a load of stuff for her family.

Tonight I shall have a fillet of deer meat wih peas and chips and finish off a drop of Rosemount red from Eastern Australia. Followed by bramen (brambles) and cream.

24. outnumbered
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I also found this hard, but rather unrewarding. ***/**

25. Collywobbles
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I think that you are on the money Falcon, 2* for me. 20d was rubbish

Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Yet again, we disagree – I thought that 20d was clever.

26. Sarah F
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Just finishing off after a busy day. Enjoyable, and found the hints really helpful for tricky ones. Many thanks.

27. Maggie
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

Quite a challenge today. Got 1d early on but did not know why the AT was removed. Favourite 25a. Thanks for the hints.

Posted November 7, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

And yet again non-crossword topics from me – two this time!
    The first is to ask whether other people use old papers to light the fire – assuming I’m not the only one who does so, are you finding it more difficult to get the fire going?
    The second is that we have just watched the most wonderful interview with the brilliant (in my opinion anyway) James Taylor and Elvis Costello – just lovely – so lovely it’s made me cry.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif

• stanXYZ
      Posted November 7, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Permalink

1) I have Central Heating (Doesn’t everyone?)
      2) Love James Taylor

Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

We have central heating too but nothing beats a proper fire . . .
        And I still love James Taylor . . .

Posted November 7, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I have reverse air conditioning for the few times we need heat.

I, please don’t faint, had never heard of the gentlemen, but I did google them and found them singing a duet on YouTube. They are brilliant, loved them!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_rose.gif

Posted November 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Oh dear!! I’ve just picked myself up from the floor having fainted! How can anyone NOT have heard of James Taylor? I’ll forgive you about Elvis Costello but not J. T. He is wonderful . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yes.gif

Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Try googling James Taylor and Squibnocket – it was, I think, a very informal rehearsal at his converted barn which was called Squibnocket. We had it on a videotape for many years – a daughter lent it to a boyfriend – we never saw it again! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cry.gif Not, of course, that we would ever be able to use it now as we don’t have anything that we could play it on! Modern technology . . .

29. Ruth
    Posted November 7, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I found it quite difficult , to be honest and for once I didn’t really enjoy it much.Thanks to Falcon and setter.

30. Catnap
    Posted November 8, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed this! And I completed without needing hints. Re 1d: I initially went down the same path as Falcon’s deleted explanation, but eventually reached the correct wordplay ‘all by my own self’. Was very chuffed! Among the many clues I liked were 5a, 4d, 6d,13d, and 15d. (I did look up ‘cod’ for its meanings.)
    Many thanks to you both, ‘Mr Ron’ and Falcon.

Help! Can someone please tell me what stupid thing I must be doing because the emoticons won’t display! I’ve tried dragging with the mouse.
    I’ve tried clicking the emoticon.
    I’ve tried typing in the command :mad: As you can see, this latter will display properly in the blog but won’t if it comes up in the ‘Recent Comments’ sidebar.