Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty ***Enjoyment ***

I thought that this was slightly trickier than the usual Tuesday fare. Do let us know what you thought and how you got on.

If you want to see an answer you’ll have to highlight the gap between the brackets under the clue.

Across Clues

5a  City in Pennsylvania, and port in South Africa (8)
{PASADENA} – there are a lot of red herrings here – the city we want is actually in California. Start with the standard abbreviation for Pennsylvania then insert a Red Sea port into an abbreviation for South Africa.

8a  Notice husband going back into church in Cheshire, perhaps (6)
{CHEESE} – a verb to notice and H(usband) get reversed (going back) into the abbreviation for the established church in England.

10a  Perform with band associated with one show tune (2-2-2)
{DO-RE-MI} – a charade of a verb to perform or carry out, an American rock band and I (one in Roman numerals).

11a  Arranged to repeat G&S work, maybe (8)
{OPERETTA} – an anagram (arranged) of TO REPEAT.

12a  Not able to be fixed on the other side of resort (6,6)
{BEYOND REPAIR} – a preposition meaning on the other side of is followed by a verb to resort or go to.

15a  Pseudonym I left out, unfortunately (4)
{ALAS} – remove the I from a pseudonym of pseudonym.

17a  Crowe, acting badly, could make one cringe (5)
{COWER} – an anagram (acting badly) of CROWE. LOL.

18a  Sexually attractive man initially cheated out of significant amount (4)
{HUNK} – remove the initial letter of C(heated) from the start of a significant amount or largish portion.

19a  Become emotionally upset, in a state of collapse following onset of fire (4,2,6)
{FALL TO PIECES} – a phrase meaning in a state of disintegration or collapse follows the first letter of F(ire). I spent some time looking for an anagram here (because all the letters of ‘collapse’ appear in the answer) but there isn’t one (unless you know better).

22a  Deserter, say, found by a river in southern Europe (8)
{APOSTATE} – a verb meaning to say follows A and a river in Italy.

24a  A prosecutor has to digest information, items for discussion (6)
{AGENDA} – A (from the clue) and the abbreviation for a state prosecutor in the US contain (has to digest) a slang term for information.

25a  Notice, on inlet, a large number of ships (6)
{ARMADA} – the abbreviation for a commercial notice follows an inlet or narrow strip of water. Finally add the A from the clue.

26a  Groom gaining silver medal’s second in equestrian event (8)
{DRESSAGE} – a verb meaning to groom or style is followed by the chemical symbol for silver and the second letter of mEdal.

Down Clues

1d  Look, with bishop, round garden pavilion (6)
{GAZEBO} – string together a verb to look intently, the chess abbreviation for bishop and the letter that’s round.

2d  Publication — stop one produced by small state (10)
{PERIODICAL} – the word used across the pond for a full-stop is followed by I (one) and the abbreviation (small) of a US state.

3d  Top expert banking millions (4)
{ACME} – an expert containing (banking) M(illions).

4d  Scare her running investigation (8)
{RESEARCH} – an anagram (running) of SCARE HER.

6d  Especially  like the CEO? (5,3)
{ABOVE ALL} – double definition. The CEO is the top person in an organisation (well, he/she is if you don’t count the chairman).

7d  I sat down, tense, confused, utterly at a loss (2,4,4,3)
{AT ONE’S WITS’ END} – an anagram (confused) of I SAT DOWN TENSE.

9d  Place rest on end of table (4)
{SITE} – a verb to rest or take the weight of one’s feet followed by (on, in a down clue) the end letter of (tabl)E.

13d  Jets, for example, flying near a Pole (South) (10)
{AEROPLANES} – an anagram (flying) of NEAR A POLE followed by S(outh).

14d  Outsider grounded, prepared (8)
{UNDERDOG} – with three 8-letter words the problem here is to decide which is the definition, which the anagram indicator and which the fodder. The indicator is actually prepared and the fodder is GROUNDED.

16d  Modelled around a review of fees, this may not be contested politically (4,4)
{SAFE SEAT} – a verb meaning modelled or posed goes around A (from the clue) and an anagram (review) of FEES.

20d  Very much demonstrated by some underachievers’ objectives (4,2)
{EVER SO} – hidden (some) in the clue.

21d  Box old Bob on equal footing? (4)
{SPAR} – the abbreviation for the pre-decimalisation coin known as a bob is followed by a word for a state of equality or equal footing.

23d  Partly open a grate (4)
{AJAR} – A followed by a verb to grate.

My favourite clue today is the excellent 17a.

Wife: You’re not playing golf again today, are you? That’s the third time this month.
Husband: You’re beginning to sound like my ex-wife.
Wife (shocked): I didn’t know you’d been married before.
Husband: I haven’t.

Today’s Quickie Pun: {BOAST} + {WRING} = {BOWSTRING}

1. Ann B
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Good puzzle this morning ..no problems thanks

2. Miffypops
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

.” Bonfire Night. Stars all bright. Three little angels dressed in white. One with a trumpet, one with a drum. One with a pancake stuck to her bum.” Only foiled by 1ac today which I would have got but its time to build a bonfire and erect gazebos for tonights extravaganza. Ta to all as usual

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Bonfire and gazebos? Now there’s an intersting combination :-)

3. Graham
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Would never have worked out 5A in a month of Sundays, that apart I found this a nice puzzle.Many thanks to gazza for the review.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Thank you setter. Enjoyed the puzzle – thank heavens for anagrams ! They certainly helped me to get started. Without them I think the first reading would have produced a clean sheet ! Once I had some checking letters, things seemed to fall into place. Thanks Gazza for your review, hints and photos.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

It’s very rare that my difficulty rating is less than that of the blogger so I must have been on the right wave length this morning – I would give it 1* or 2* at the most and 3* for enjoyment.
    My only brief hiccoughs were trying to work out which continent, let alone which state, the blasted 5a city was in and I was also a bit slow with 8a – always forget that cheese. I couldn’t quite work out why 19a was what it clearly had to be.
    I liked 5 and 17a. My favourite was 7d – feel a bit like that today.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and gazza.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Yes, 5a was my last one in, too, but I loved the clue … too, too clever

Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

No surprise that 5A and 7D went in very quickly for me! A pleasant puzzle that I found straightforward today. Having trouble getting going with the toughie, though.

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Getting 7d in the Toughie helps quite a lot.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review and hints. An enjoyable puzzle with some good clues, no real problems, must have been on the right wavelength for once. Was 2*/3* for me. Last in was 22a. favourite was 8a. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_cool.gif Sun out for a while in central London. Might risk a peek at the Toughie.

8. patsyann
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Can’t explain why but I had Hi-di-hi for 10a! Thanks Gazza for putting me right. I’http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_whistle3.gifve got one of those annoying earworms now and will be doing Julie Andrews impressions all day.

• Sarah F
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

I had Hi-de-hi too! Then had to look at the hint, would never have got it otherwise.

9. skempie
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

As with most, I found 5A a bit of a struggle (mainly trying to work out which cities/ports/states/etc were being referred to and which were the answer). Other than that, quite a pleasant offering today.

10. ChrisH
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

I too found 5a a struggle. Toyed with Pretoria for a bit.

I’m definitely not into Rock bands, American or otherwise, so just couldn’t get 10a. Obvious when the components are explained, but incomprehensible if you don’t know some of the bits. Otherwise, a straightforward and enjoyable puzzle.

• Mr Tub
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I spent a while trying to force Pretoria in there as well.
      Very surprised to see my passport photo being used for 18a!
      Enjoyed the puzzle and reading the hints too.

11. Angel
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Quicker than the Quick! Obviously anagrams are “cryptic” but I think too many make for less of a challenge. Kath, I’m with you on the rating */**. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_neutral.gif

Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Haven’t tried the quick crossword yet although I just happened to see a thirteen letter answer which goes all the way across so, for the first time ever, I’ve registered that the quickies are 13×13 as opposed to the 15×15 cryptics. 0/10 for observation.

12. Michael
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle today – I thought 5a was very clever and they just kept on going from there!

A point of interest – the Telegraph today has a page about the Scrabble competition held over the Weekend, the interesting thing is that they have a list of two letter words – obviously used extensively in Scrabble – but I wondered about their use in Cryptic Crossword puzzles. I must admit I can’t remember any two-letter words but wondered if there was a convention against their use?

A bit miserable here today in Herts – I was hoping to play golf but have had to cancel – hoping for better weather tomorrow.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I don’t remember ever seeing a two letter answer either but I have a nasty feeling that we’re about to be proved wrong.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Anagrams of 2-letter answers could be quite tricky :D

• Prolixic
          Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Working with Doctor No!

Posted November 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Clever clogs!http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_good.gif

• Roydo
              Posted November 5, 2013 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I seem to remember years ago, maybe before this blog started, it was the 24000th crossword, and the grid included these answers.

Daily Telegraph 24000 crossword..

Anyone else recall that one?

Posted November 5, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

I can only do a very rough and quick guess as to how long ago that might have been – think it might have been about seven years ago in which case it’s probably about two or three years before this brilliant blog began. No, I don’t remember it – why don’t you enlighten us?

• skempie
                Posted November 5, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

If I remember rightly, the crossword for the 1st January 2000 actually had the answer ‘1st January 2001’ as the first answer across the top. Could that be what you’re thinking of ?

• skempie
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

They are used quite extensively in crosswords in the US, but in my opinion, they have a lot of spelling mistakes too.

13. BigBoab
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable crossword and review, thanks to the setter and to Gazza. The toughie by Warbler is good fun and fairly simple once one has the theme, worth a try for the toughie neophytes.

14. Senf
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

About two thirds finished by lights out last night, and the rest have gone in fairly easily this morning, so I would give this **/*** – only needed to look to Gazza for confirmation of a couple of answers. 5a must be one of the most convoluted clues ever. Thanks to the setter and to Gazza.

15. SheilaP
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Not bad at all today, helped by being able to guess the answers of some clues without having to work them out, so not necessarily very cryptically, if you know what I mean. I don’t mind that though I think it’s sort of cheating. Never, ever, would be able to be a hinter, so thank you & to the setter too. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_smile.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Get your answers in however you can SheilaP. I do the quickie every day and often get a cryptic from a single word on the first surface read. We can work out why afterwards.

16. Sarah F
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

A pleasant post-lunch run-through. Not especially difficult thanks to anagrams and being able to guess some answers. Had to look at hints for just four, so am pleased!

I suppose CEO (6d) is what used to be called ‘Managing Director’ of a company?

Thanks to setter and to Gazza

Posted November 5, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

CEO is Chief Executive Officer.

• spindrift
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

We used to have a CEO, a CFO (Chief Financial Officer), a COO (Chief of Operations),but fell short of a GOD (Global Operations Director). And yes, before you ask, it was most important that their titles were capitalised in all correspondence.

• skempie
        Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

This is my dream in life – to have my own company where I can give all the Executives 3 letter job titles and lots of money, they then get the choice of keeping the money and job title or changing the job title and receive half the money. The job titles would be along the lines of Business Unit Manager, Director of Operations – Global, Director – International Corporate, etc. Any more suggestions more than welcome.

• Ruth
          Posted November 5, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

:-)
          Senior head IT ?

Posted November 5, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Some time ago I worked in the hospital with someone who was absolutely brilliant at what he did but wasn’t the easiest person to be around. His initials were BG which, if pronounced phonetically, described him perfectly.

• Ruth
            Posted November 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Sorry, Kath, but you’ll have to help me out on this a bit more than “pronounce phonetically”.I don’t get it at all.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_wacko.gif

17. Jii B
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

After struggling with some recent puzzles I was pleased to find today’s one both fun and interesting. Had the answer to 22a but had to check the meaning. Thought that 5a was clever – thanks to the setter.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

No real problems EXCEPT 5a and 10a both of which completely foxed me.
    Not quite sure why arm is an inlet.
    Liked the clue 26a far better than actually riding it! Bit like watching paint dry. Eventing would be far improved without it.
    Thx to the setter and to Gazza without whose hints I would still be gazing blankly at two clues.

• skempie
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

From Miriam-Websters online dictionary :

Definition of ARM

: a human upper limb; especially : the part between the shoulder and the wrist
      : something like or corresponding to an arm: as
      a : the forelimb of a vertebrate
      b : a limb of an invertebrate animal
      c : a branch or lateral shoot of a plant
      d : a slender part of a structure, machine, or an instrument projecting from a main part, axis, or fulcrum
      e : the end of a ship’s yard; also : the part of an anchor from the crown to the fluke — see anchor illustration
      f : any of the usually two parts of a chromosome lateral to the centromere
      : an inlet of water (as from the sea)
      : a narrow extension of a larger area, mass, or group
      : power, might
      : a support (as on a chair) for the elbow and forearm
      : sleeve
      : the ability to throw or pitch a ball well; also : a player having such ability
      : a functional division of a group, organization, institution, or activity

Please see definition 3

19. Bluebird
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

I’m another that thinks this was fairly easy.
    I struggled with 12a for a bit as the letters filled in could have been a number of words, and enjoyed wrestling with the 7d anagram .

Some answers come first and then the working out is done retrospectively, and others are the opposite. More satisfaction in the latter…..

At least three song titles!

20. neveracrossword
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

“Port” is usually Rio or Aden, isn’t it? Thought this was quite straightforward, but enjoyable nevertheless.

• skempie
      Posted November 5, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

or Left

Posted November 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm | Permalink

Dead on wavelength today and loved it. Needed Gazza for the “why” of 25a, forgot about the inlet thing, and 10a, didn’t know the rock band. As above, 5a was last one in with huge doh moment, and now is my favourite clue. Thanks to all. http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

22. mary
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Late in today, gym and shopping to blame, a three star for me and wouldn’t have got 5a or 10a without the blog, thanks gazza :-) not got any favourites today, am I allowed to say that Kath or can I only not have one favourite?? in which case that would mean I could have more than one… ;-)

Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

No, no, no! Oh dear! http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_negative.gif
      What you meant to say, I think – well, I hope anyway, was that you don’t have a favourite today!

23. Toni
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

I had infra dig for 14d. Wasn’t sure why which usually means it’s wrong… As it was.
    Didn’t get the cheese, or the song but enjoyed the rest.
    Thanks to both.
    Just had 2 days away cleaning my 85 year old mother’s house while she’s on holiday. Hard work although my husband did the window cleaning and carpet shampooing. Hope she notices…it was satisfying anywayhttp://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/wpml_yahoo.gif

Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Well done to you – I hope that your Mum notices and appreciates all the hard work.
      Ancient Mums . . . http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/smiley-phew.gif

• Miffypops
      Posted November 6, 2013 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Cheese. mmmmmh lovely

24. Maggie
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed today\s puzzle. A few really tricky ones – thank goodness for the blog :).

Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

On a non-crossword topic did anyone watch ‘The Escape Artist’ last week? If so, did it freak you out as much as it did me – or am I just weedy? I think it’s really good but am not sure that I can bear to watch tonight’s episode.
    Now all I need is a ‘little face’ hiding behind some curtains – could also be quite useful for Toughies sometimes . . .

Posted November 5, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Yes I watched it and quite enjoyed it. Thanks for reminding me that the second episode is on tonight.

Posted November 5, 2013 at 10:10 pm | Permalink

Oh good – YOU watch it and tell me if it’s as scary as last week was! If it is I’ll know that I need to be feeling brave to watch it. See, I said that we needed to have a little face hiding behind the curtains . . .

Posted November 5, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

I think I’ll stay away from that one, sounds pretty gruesome to me.http://bigdave44.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-monalisa/icons/icon_evil.gif

Posted November 5, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

No – not really gruesome – it just had quite a high level of jangle, to me at least. We watched it and I felt as if I wouldn’t be able to go to sleep – needless to say, I did. Husband once read something that said gorillas sleep for fourteen hours each night – he’s now convinced that he’s married to a gorilla!

• Miffypops
      Posted November 6, 2013 at 1:34 am | Permalink

Not watched any telly in weeks Not planning to in future weeks

26. KiwiColin
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Done in a bit of a rush so grateful that there were not too many sticking points. Had started off by glancing at 5a, writing in Pretoria, and then wondering why nothing else worked. Soon sorted though. Nice puzzle.
    Thanks Mr Ron and Gazza.

27. WhirredPLAY
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Took a while getting the City in 1a and was not familiar with 22a but got there in the end

28. Ruth
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable , apart from the one’s I couldn’t do , such as 5a and 8a. Thanks to Gazza and the setter.

29. Riggles
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Some nice surface readings and clever touches here I thought, such as 5A and 8A.
    On a slight tangent, do BD bloggers get together at Xmas?!

30. Catnap
    Posted November 6, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

This was an enjoyable puzzle. :smile: 5a was my last in, and my fave. I needed the answer to 10a, not knowing about the band. :sad: Otherwise no probs.
    Appreciative thanks to setter and to Gazza. :yahoo:

• Posted November 6, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

If you drag and drop one of the emoticons it seems to drop the link. I’ve restored them for you, but it works best if you just click on the emoticon. For most of them you can also enter them between colons with a space on either side – e.g. :-yahoo-: without the hyphens gives :yahoo: .