Hints and tips by Big Dave

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

I don’t have much to say about this very ordinary puzzle.

1a    Cleaning clothes with this used to be hard, however spun (7)
{WASHTUB} – a verb meaning used to be followed by H(ard) and a word meaning however reversed (spun) – most of the clue provides the definition in this semi-&Lit clue

5a    Where one finds meat, yet that’s expensive in France (7)
{BUTCHER} – a word meaning yet followed by the French for expensive

9a    Bird, flapping, rose to top of redwood (7)
{ROOSTER} – an anagram (flapping) of ROSE TO followed by the initial letter (top) of Redwood

10a    A stone thrown to catch king in act of this? (7)
{TREASON} – an anagram (thrown) of A STONE around (to catch) the Latin abbreviation for king – once again the whole clue provides the definition

11a    Arrogant male with flower — almost perfect (9)
{MASTERFUL} – M(ale) followed by a flower and most of a word meaning perfect or complete

12a    Sanctimonious talk over piece of music (5)
{CANTO} – some sanctimonious talk followed by O(ver)

13a    Someone in uniform runs off with wife, finally (5)
{NURSE} – an anagram (off) of RUNS followed by the final letter of wifE

15a    Mo, with ace running, gets win? Pardon? (4,5)
{COME AGAIN} – an anagram (running) of MO with ACE followed by a win

17a    Plot to clear studio that’s out of action (9)
{BEDRIDDEN} – a garden plot followed by a verb meaning to clear and a studio

19a    Second person’s no good offspring (5)
{YOUNG} – the secon person pronoun followed by the abbreviation for N(o) G(ood)

22a    Wild mare left locked in field (5)
{REALM} – an anagram (wild) of MARE around (locked in) L(eft)

23a    Inferior bun, molars chewed (9)
{SUBNORMAL} – an anagram (chewed) of BUN MOLARS

25a    One going by Lancaster, perhaps, travelling through following a hill (7)
{AVIATOR} – in this context it’s an Avro Lancaster bomber! – a three-letter word meaning travelling through following the A from the clue and followed by a hill

26a    Maybe like vegetables tend to be cooked — in alcohol (2,5)
{AL DENTE} – an anagram (cooked) of TEND inside an alcoholic drink

27a    Trashy equipment’s placed in front of church? Yes (7)
{KITSCHY} – some equipment followed by the S from ‘S, CH(urch) and Y(es)

28a    Continue  to complain (5,2)
{CARRY ON} – two definitions

1d    Women with strange mark on hand (7)
{WORKMAN} – W(omen) followed by an anagram (strange) of MARK ON

2d    Spoons thrown right back (7)
{SPONSOR} – an anagram (thrown) of SPOONS followed by R(ight)

3d    Credit — it helps to cover rent (5)
{TITHE} – this rent which used to be payable to the church is hidden (to cover) inside the clue

4d    Shameless British are confronted (9)
{BAREFACED} – B(ritish) followed by ARE and a verb meaning confronted

5d    Leaf from book starts to explain the Ethiopian language (5)
{BETEL} – B(ook) followed by the initial letters of (starts to) the last four words in the clue

6d    There are laws here for God’s sake (9)
{THEOCRACY} – a cryptic definition of a system of government in which priests rule in the name of God

7d    Hearts so uplifted over girl’s exclamation of praise (7)
{HOSANNA} – H(earts) followed by the reversal (uplifted in a down clue) and a girl’s name

8d    Gone to the dogs to control first of Dalmations now barking (3-4)
{RUN-DOWN} – a verb meaning to control followed by the initial letter (first) of Dalmations and an anagram (barking) of NOW

14d    Hard to understand it came mixed with gin (9)
{ENIGMATIC} – an anagram (mixed) of IT CAME with GIN

16d    Developing tan on climb, one left mountain (4,5)
{MONT BLANC} – an anagram (developing) of TAN ON CL(I)MB without (left) the I (one)

17d    Demonstrate against Obama, embracing leader of Republicans (7)
{BARRACK} – the first name of President Obama around (embracing) the initial letter (leader) of Republicans

18d    Writer I attack going up street (7)
{DIARIST} – I and a verb meaning to attack both reversed (going up in a down clue) followed by ST(reet)

20d    United Nations generally forgetting Italy’s timid (7)
{UNMANLY} – the abbreviation for the United Nations followed by a word meaning generally without (forgetting) the IVR code for Italy

21d    Powerful wind, crossing lake on old boat (7)
{GALLEON} – a powerful wind around (crossing) L(ake) and followed by ON

23d    Abandoned skate at end of street (5)
{STRAY} – the type of fish of which skate is an example preceded by (at end of) ST(reet) – strictly speaking the fact that “skate” is a definition-by-example should have been indicated

24d    Command terrier perhaps to let go of bishop (5)
{ORDER} – drop (let go) the B(ishop) from the start of a type of terrier

No fewer than twelve out of thirty-two clues have anagrams as part or all of the wordplay!

The Quick crossword pun: (moaner} + {leaser} = {Mona Lisa}

1. Ann B
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Very nice & straightforward .Thank you BD

2. Graham
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I found this a gentle stroll in the park, ,agree with the ratings not much more you can say about this fairly limp offering.Thanks to BD for the review even though it wasn’t needed to day.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

For me, the most straightforward Thursday puzzle for a long time.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD. The picture shown at 1a is hanging on the wall in our downstairs bathroom :)

Posted September 26, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

*/** for me today. I was out all day yesterday so I was able to complete yesterday’s puzzle this morning too, which I found similar to today’s for difficulty but much more enjoyable.

Many thanks to Mr. Ron and BD.

5. Bluebird
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 11:31 am | Permalink

It was …….OK.
    Second straightforward one in a row.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter – even if the puzzle appears easy to the experts, I still enjoy solving them. Thank you BD for your review.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Well I enjoyed this one more than most of you seem to have done so far – I also found it slightly more difficult than most of you seem to have done so far. 3*/3* for both.
    I was stupidly slow to get both 17’s and 6d.
    I thought there were some good clues – 17a and 1 and 16d.
    My favourite was 24a. I used to do agility with our collie (really good fun for me and her) and the trainer was very badly bitten by one of those terriers.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Seconded, Kath.

8. skempie
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

No real problems today except for trying to justify PIANO for 12A – soon proved wrong. Perhaps a few to many anagrams for my liking, but there were a couple of nice ones.

9. Miffypops
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I thought it would be tortuous after the first read through but at all fell together quite well. I quite like the use of the same three letter word in the first two across clues. The charades at 12, 17, 19, and 27 across were far too straightforward. The answer to 27 across is a horrible word and possibly does not exist. (Cue opening of the BRB to prove me wrong) Saint Sharon has let the chickens out to roam free and ruin the lawn repairs I have done over the last few days. Women!!! I ask you?

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted September 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

I agree with you Miffypops about 27a being a horrible word, but you are wrong about its non-existence. I looked it up in the BRB before writing it in!

• Bluebird
      Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

I wouldn’t have thought it was that unusual myself. There is quite a market for this sort of stuff now.
      The only thing being I wouldn’t have described as trash as such, more populist and downmarket. Tretchikoff anyone? Lovely little kittens and bunny rabbits….

Posted September 26, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big dave for the review and hints. A very straightforward puzzle , with no real laughs, but a few good clues. No real favourites. Completed the bottom half first, then the top fell into place after a while. I needed to check 5d &12a in the BRB, and both were ok. Was 2*/2* for me. Sun’s out in Central London, might look at the Toughie later.

11. angel
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

**/** Not really much fun today with numerous anagrams but thankfully no spoonerisms! For my part not even a good clue to single out. Better luck tomorrow?!

12. BigBoab
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to BD.

13. Ian
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

*/*** for me. I appreciated the effort the setter went to in providing such good surface readings, many of which made me smile. Thanks to him/her and BD.

14. Chris T Heswall
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

There are times when a gentle puzzle fits the bill and for me this was it – thanks to the setter. Off to pack for our holiday including the Daily Telegraph book of crosswords to keep the old brain working.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed thus one, so nice to finish a Thursday for a change.
    I agree that it was not too taxing but enjoyable nonetheless.
    Best clue for me was 17a, well constructed.
    Thx to the setter and to BD for explaining 20a.

16. Poppy
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Usually I struggle on Thursdays, so this was a welcome change for me. And, once I’d stopped planning routes to take me North, 25a made me smile. I love flying – but it needs to be what I consider proper flying, such as looping the loop in a Tiger Moth where the only thing keeping you in your seat are the straps…. Thank you setter and thank you BD.

• Derek
      Posted September 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Poppy!

See next blog!

• Toni
      Posted September 26, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I usually struggle on Thursday too but it was OK today. Do you think it was a different setter.

17. Derek
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward solve today.

Faves : 17a & 16d.

New boiler is being fitted at the moment!

• Poppy
      Posted September 26, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Hi Derek – oh I’m so glad & do hope that’s now done & dusted & you’re all set to be cosy for the winter… Hope you have a glass of something nice with which to toast the new arrival :-D

18. Collywobbles
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Uninspiring

• Collywobbles
      Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

15a was pathetic

• Poppy
        Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

That’s sad to read. I enjoyed the crossword today, but I guess it takes all sorts . . .

Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

I agree. I often wonder if the setters read this stuff and are hurt by the negativeness.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I often wonder that too but then I remind myself that the people who comment here must be such a minuscule percentage of everyone who does the crossword as to be fairly unimportant – I hope so anyway.

• Miffypops
              Posted September 26, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

I think we like to be challenged but still be able to complete the puzzle after a satisfying tussle. I enjoy a might good fight a lot more than read and write type of puzzle. I respect the setters though.

• boltonbabs
              Posted September 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

We must be a small percentage or I would have won a prize puzzle by now!

• Miffypops
                Posted September 27, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Oooh allo Boltonbabs, not seen you before. I hope you win a prize one day. Tussles and fights are the way forward.

Posted September 26, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

I didn’t really find it too, too difficult but I enjoyed it and it certainly wasn’t boring. I agree about 27a, if it is a real word, it shouldn’t be! I got held up by simple things like 5d. All I could think of were nuts, but, of course, half-wit, if it grows on trees they must have leaves. Then I tumbled. There were a lot of anagrams (which I like) but fewer complaints about that than I expected! Thanks to BD and setter.

20. pommers
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 7:33 pm | Permalink

Pretty average for me. No stand-out laughs or d’oh moments and not too hard. Done very quickly over the usual pre-prandial along with the much better Jay from yesterday (which we never got around to doing).

Agre with **/**

Anyway, thanks to the setter and BD.

21. pommette
    Posted September 26, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Thankssetter for a nice gentle work-out and to BD for the review.

The only quibble I have is with 17d. I’ve never heard this word mean “demonstrate against”.
    So I looked it up in the BRB which says “To make a hostile demonstration (especially by cheering ironically)”.
    Both the OED and Collins only define it as the shouting of derisive remarks.
    Anyone else heard it used in the meaning of demonstrate against?
    Or I am just being Mrs Grumpy?

• skempie
      Posted September 26, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

I read it as synonym as ‘heckle’ and so yes, I have heard it used many times.

• Miffypops
        Posted September 27, 2013 at 12:10 am | Permalink

It fit. I put it in. It worked. Thats how it works for me. I often throw an answer in because it is so obvious. Parsing comes later. I am rarely wrong but when I am it can be spectacular. Yesterday I had a five letter word beginning with an L and ending with a C I put LOGIC in without ever reading the clue. That is the second time in forty odd years I have answered a clue without reading it. the previous one was a fifteen letter multi word clue.

22. Catnap
    Posted September 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I quite enjoyed this. 17a was my last in. I have no really strong faves, but among the clues I liked most are 17a, 25a and 17d. I love Big Dave’s choice of picture for 1a. Although I did get the answer, I need to remember that ‘used to be’ = ‘was’! That apart, I didn’t need the hints. Many thanks to setter and Big Dave. :smile: