DT 27283 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27283 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time to enter our Monthly Prize Puzzle.

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

7a           Steelworks made a stink on the outskirts of Exeter (7)
A verb meaning made a stink followed by the outer letters (outskirts) of ExeteR

8a           Dishonest man on board in last month returned (7)
A man that can be found on a chess board inside the reversal (returned) of the three-letter abbreviation of the last month of the year

11a         Dingy English seaside feature (4)
An adjective meaning dingy followed by E(nglish)

14a         Van Gogh painting is about to go up (6)
The IS from the clue around a verb meaning to go up

15a         He wrote novels when vaguely befuddled (6,5)
An anagram (befuddled) of WHEN VAGUELY

20a         Bath switched lock and prop (8)
Reverse a three-letter word for a bath and add a lock of hair

23a         Italy’s smooth source of elixir consumed by TT — it’ll raise spirits (10)
The IVR code for Italy, an adjective meaning smooth or calm and the initial letter (source) of Elixir inside an adjective meaning teetotal or abstinent

26a         Last character driven from pirates’ home in atonement (7)
Drop the last letter of the alphabet from the home of Gilbert and Sullivan’s famous Pirates

1d           Monkey unfortunately gets African antelopes (7)
A three-letter monkey or mischievous child followed by a word meaning unfortunately

3d           Nosh swallowed by good French cookery writer (6)
What a cock-up!  The wordplay puts a verb meaning to nosh inside the French for good, but this cookery writer’s name is not spelt that way.  This is the second time that the Telegraph has made the same mistake, the previous one being in a Toughie nearly four years ago.

[ From Monday’s newspaper – “Prize Crossword 27,283 (Sat Sept 14): In 3 Down, the wordplay leads to an incorrect spelling of the answer (for which, apologies). We will accept either spelling.”   The same message has also been sent to online subscribers.]

[Revised clue available online – Have dinner hosted by good French portrait photographer (6)]

4d           Money one accountant needed for certain plants (8)
A slang word for money followed by I (one) and a Scottish (or Canadian) accountant

6d           Stray animal originally taken in by fixer (7)
The initial letter (originally) of Animal inside a fixer or repairer

9d           Boozer, male, associated with ex-President (4,3,4)
This traditional name for a pub is derived from a male animal followed by a word meaning with and the name of not one but two former US Presidents

13d         Prediction of small return on investment by state (10)
A four-letter shortened (small) word for a return on an investment followed by a state or country

18d         Great number wanting starter with full-flavoured exotic meat (7)
A word for a great number of people without (wanting) its initial letter (starter) followed by an adjective meaning full-flavoured

24d         Metal electrical wire (4)
Two definitions

The Crossword Club is now open.  Feel free to leave comments.

As this is a Prize crossword, please don’t put any ANSWERS, whether WHOLE, PARTIAL or INCORRECT, or any ALTERNATIVE CLUES in your comment, else they may be censored!

The Quick crossword pun: (gnaw} + {thumb} + {rear} = {Northumbria}

1. Trevor Davies
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Glad I can join the angry brigade about spelling of name but I thought this was a brilliant puzzle with some real forehead slapping moments – particularly the anagrams.

2. Graham
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Done & dusted this was a nice offering with an assortment of differing clues, my favourite has to be 21D many thanks to the setter & to our leader for the review.

Posted September 14, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

This was an excellent puzzle to start the weekend. My rating is 2.5* for difficulty and 3* for enjoyment.

I didn’t know how to spell 3d, so I simply entered the answer as clued. I wonder if they will accept either spelling for the prize winners?

I found the SE corner the toughest with my last one in being 18d, for which I used a word meaning the majority for the wordplay for “great number” rather than BD’s better suggestion; but they both get you to the same answer.

26a was my favourite.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to BD.

4. Poppy
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Thanks so much, BD, for such an early posting! I’ve finished apart from 12a which has me stumped in spite of all the checking letters. If anyone can spare a moment to give me a hint I’d be very grateful. Needed Mr P’s help with 9d as unfamiliar (sadly, but I’m trying to rectify that!) with this world, but loved the answer. Thank you setter for some early morning fun.

Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

The definition is ‘authority in church’. A fashion designer (6) followed by the A from the clue and the abbreviation for liberal.

• Poppy
        Posted September 14, 2013 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Oh thank you very much CS – I wasn’t anywhere near that designer so your hint got me to the finishing post. And just in case you’ve been baking (rather than throwing yourself into muddy ditches a la Miffypops ) I’m wondering what might appear in the naughty corner if you were forgiving enough to contribute! :-). Might you be at the next Cruciverbalist Conv.?

Posted September 14, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

We have tons and tons and tons (and I mean tons) of peaches so the whole house smells of vinegar as today is peach and ginger chutney day. Apparently tomorrow is peach jam day. After that who knows… I might have to find a recipe for peach cake but there’s no time for either muddy ditches or baking today.

• Poppy
            Posted September 14, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

Phew! But it all sounds delicious :-)

Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Very envious. For some reason, the peaches here are hard and rot before they ripen, even though they are called “tree ripened”. I buy frozen, at least they are ripe.

Posted September 14, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Please don’t talk about peaches. Our neighbours have a tiny tree on the south side of their house which have the best peaches I’ve ever tasted. Normally they are off on holiday when they’re are ripe so we get the lot (with their blessing) and make jam and tarts and everything else and then we share the proceeds. This year they were away at a different time so we didn’t get any – what a cheek and HOW inconsiderate!

Posted September 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

You’re welcome to as many of ours as you want. That wheelbarrow full is just a fraction of the total harvest.

Posted September 14, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

That’s really kind but Oxford to Kent and then back again with a wheelbarrow full of peaches feels a bit too much! :smile: Thanks for the offer though . . .

• Xcoder
            Posted September 14, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Super harvest, the wheelbarrow looks as though it has given many years of service! I think this is proving to be a good year for apples, plums, pears and the like, my trees are heavily laden with fruit.

5. Michael
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

All present and correct – as normal on a Saturday it was a fairly easy one.

I was interested in the cryptic explanation for 23a – talk about contrived and obscure – hat’s off for that one!

A bit of a miserable day weatherwise – I’ll just have to watch the Football and Rugby on the gogglebox – it’s a hard life!

6. Caravaggio
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

I thought that this was a most enjoyable puzzle and, like Rabbit Dave, I made 26a my favourite clue although there were a number of others which I thought were admirable. I’m now going to see how much of the GK crossword I can complete before indulging myself with an afternoon of sport.

7. angel
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Usual entertaining Saturday ‘walk in the park’ so thanks to everyone including Rabbit Dave who made me realise I had misspelt 3d! Wonder if first part of 18d is necessarily “great” number, greatest perhaps?

• Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

You have removed the first letter from the wrong word. The correct one is famously used to describe a great number of golden daffodils!

Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:57 am | Permalink

I’ll join in with anyone else who is irritated by the 3d boob but apart from that I enjoyed this crossword.
    I found bits of it quite difficult. I got completely tangled up with 12a and thought that the fashion designer was the definition. 23a took ages to sort out why it was what it was. As for 26a – oh dear – I temporarily forgot about those pirates and all I could think of was the ones from the Caribbean!
    I liked 10a and 18d. My favourite was 15a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.

9. Maurice
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Hi BD re 3d… Maybe the setter was referring to this book; Woman’s Own Book of Casserole Cookery??

• Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Maurice

Nice one! I bet you didn’t know that until you scoured Google.

10. Maurice
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks! I wont pretend I have a copy :)

• Poppy
      Posted September 14, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Just worked out the joke (sorry, I’m a bit slow!) – nice :-)

Posted September 14, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

I haven’t worked out the joke at all so if you’re a bit slow then I’m even slower. :sad: and :oops:
        However I do have a very old copy of Mrs 3d’s (spelt correctly) Household Management which was a wedding present to my great (or great great, not quite sure which) grandmother in 1885.

11. Chris T Heswall
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Nice one for me too. Bottom right hand corner in last. My favourite was also 26a.

12. Senf
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

This one was fairly straightforward and finished well before lights out last night. I thought that the cookbook author was mis-spelled but wasn’t sure until I saw the blog this morning. I did expect to see a discussion on whether 10a should have been enumerated as 5-5 (as shown in the BRB) rather than as shown.

• Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

My copy of the BRB (12th edition) has no hyphen.

• Collywobbles
        Posted September 14, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

The 11th edition has it as one word so I wonder what has changed in the mean’time

13. Michael
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – this thing about 3d passed me by – so what will be acceptable for the Prize Crossword entries?

My entry is spelt with the word meaning to nosh – I’ll be a bit miffed if this is deemed to be wrong – a letter to the Editor might be called for!

• Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

The only sensible option is to accept either spelling – at least it doesn’t affect the checking letters.

Posted September 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

It has resulted in a very nice plug for the blog on the Answer Bank so every cloud….

• Maurice
      Posted September 14, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

If you submit the puzzle on line it will only accept Michaels version

• una
      Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I ,as usual, misspelled it and I ,we, were right !

14. jezza
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle ruined by 3d! How that got past the editor is unfathomable.

15. angel
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD. I had in fact removed the first letter of the ‘more’ superlative but now realise the daffodil term is meant here!

16. Caroline
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

*********** he’ll solve your catering needs if you live in Ballarat! I can Google too! All done for today – a nice puzzle. Thanks BD and setter.

• Posted September 14, 2013 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

This is a prize puzzle and that was a step too far. Save it for the Friday review.

17. Joseph
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Stuck on 25a, 6d and 21d. Would appreciate any hints please.

Thanks

• Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Joseph

There’s already a hint for 6d.

• Joseph
        Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Yes got 6d thanks. Still stuck on 25a and 21d.

• jezza
          Posted September 14, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

25a – a woman’s name contains (engages) another meaning for lad, to give a type of building work

• Joseph
            Posted September 14, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks. Got it now

• jezza
          Posted September 14, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

21d – After the usual abbreviation for time, is a type of fuel, and an abbreviation for eastern and the IVR code for Germany, resulting in the past tense of a verb meaning worked.

18. Little Dave
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

My favourites were 15a and 20a. 23a a bit clunky for me. Thanks to the Setter.

Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Finished and enjoyed, which did good things for my ego after a few unfinished puzzles this week. Even though I have her book, I happily wrote in the incorrect name for 3d without a thought; dingbat? Yes. My favourite, I think, was 26a, although many entertaining clues. Thanks to setter, and thanks to BD for explaining 23a.

20. Shawn
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Misspelt words! I remember doing a crossword years ago when the only way to finish the grid was to misspell the word “leisure” as LIESURE. My brains were not working today, so thanks for all the clues. Really needed them. And two new words for my vocabulary 10 a and 16 d. I have an edition of the famous book of 3d inscribed ” To Norah from Mother 1910″

Posted September 14, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I’ve just written all this further up but I have a copy which was a wedding present to my great (or great great) grandmother in 1885.

21. Dawn
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

I finished all but two clues before looking at the hints and comments, thanks as always to BD for the hints, it is reassuring to know they are there if you need them.

Loved 26a it is called this locally which I remember from childhood holidays :-)

22. JAF
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

In 10a is it the name or the vegetables that are cooked? Have *, * and * in so far which could come from either.

• Posted September 14, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog JAF

Please read the note above about putting partial answers in your comment.

10a Mao Tse-tung cooked vegetables
      An anagram (cooked) of MAO TSE-TUNG gives these vegetables.

• Xcoder
        Posted September 14, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

I think that a slight change to this clue to “Mao Tse-Tung mixed vegetables” would create a nice illusion of a special dish from a Chinese take-away and work equally well. Maybe this form has been used elsewhere? Quite a nice crossword overall.

23. Collywobbles
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

A fine puzzle which is usual for Saturday. I wonder why they are so enjoyable when, most of the time, they are penned by Mr. Ron

Posted September 14, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Permalink

Back on the mainland after a week on the beautiful Isle of Mull. Struggled with this one and eventually finished with a lot of assistance from Mrs SW. With the papers not arriving till 4.00 pm I have found it difficult to get my brain in gear after a day birdwatching ! – have managed to keep up though and finished all the week’s puzzles. Thank you setter for today’s puzzle and BD for your hints as usual.

Posted September 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. An enjoyable puzzle, but spoilt by 3d. I needed the hints for 6d&26a. Favourites were 20&23a. Weather a bit better than yesterday, but high winds forecast for tomorrow. Was 2*/3* for me.

26. Sue
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Permalink

Completed without too much difficulty. Nice mental image for 15A! Have just spent a most enjoyable week in the Scottish Highlands. Superb scenery – and so much of it! What a beautiful country we live in.

27. Toadson
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Logged on today to see if there was any comment on 3d. I was not disappointed!

28. una
    Posted September 14, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle which accommadated all types of spellers. Thanks to setter and BD.

29. Eileen
    Posted September 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Hi Only started cross word today. All completed but can’t fit my word for 23A I think 24D is correct I have **** for 24d so please can someone put me out of my misery and help. Thanks!

• Posted September 15, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Just hover over the picture clue for 23a!

30. Eileen
    Posted September 15, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Please help with 23A

31. Eileen
    Posted September 15, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Sorry still not helping

32. Eileen
    Posted September 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

All done 18d was wrong.Thanks

• Posted September 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

If you click on “REPLY” before adding your comment it keeps the thread together.

33. simon power
    Posted September 15, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

hi, one of the new boys here. have been away so am way behind everybody else. cannot for the life of me work out the plant in 4d – not my best subject and i am a gardener!!!

34. simon power
    Posted September 15, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

finally got 4d – wont forget that in a hurry

35. Michael White
    Posted September 15, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Permalink

I am completely flummoxed over 10a. I assumed it was an anagram meaning vegetables. But I cannot make an anagram. Can I have some help? Thank you.

• una
      Posted September 16, 2013 at 12:25 am | Permalink

It is an anagram , french ****** ***.

36. frederick
    Posted September 16, 2013 at 1:10 am | Permalink

10a are new veggies to me. Are they french or Chinese ?

Posted September 16, 2013 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Today’s paper says

“Prize Crossword 27,283 (Sat Sept 14):

38. Catnap
    Posted September 17, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed the variety in this puzzle. I am also very chuffed because I was able to finish it without recourse to Big Dave’s excellent hints. Many thanks to setter and Big Dave. Apologies for the lateness — everything seems to be happening at once (doesn’t it always?).