Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty * Enjoyment ****

Another entertaining (if not overly difficult) romp today.

1. As worn by vicars and boxers (3,7)
{DOG COLLARS} – The boxer in this clue is the four legged kind.

9. Fish that’s a foot in length? (4)
{SOLE} – The name of a fish, is also the name for the underside of a foot.

10. Got roaring drunk, showing great enthusiasm (6,2,2)
{RARING TO GO} – An anagram (drunk) of GOT ROARING is to be ready and excited to begin doing something.

11. Cuts perhaps may get us down (6)
{WOUNDS} – An anagram (may get) of US DOWN.

12. Political type helps to form sporadic alliances (7)
{RADICAL} – A person who holds strong convictions can be found between the two words “sporadic alliances”.

15. Put some notes in order? (7)
{ARRANGE} – A cryptic definition for a term that describes adapting a musical composition.

16. Keep off the highway (3-2)
{LAY-BY} – To set aside or keep for future needs, is also a place for drivers to stop at the side of a road.

17. Fish deep in sound (4)
{BASS} – A bit like 9a. The name of a fish is also the lowest range of male singing voice.

18. Groom takes horse round Epsom finally (4)
{COMB} – A word that describes cleaning and brushing, can be constructed from a word for a short legged, thickset horse around the last letter (finally) of Epsom.

19. The French male remains in control (5)
{LEASH} – LE and the sort of remains you might find at a crematorium.

21. First sanction in writing (7)
{INITIAL} – A word that describes the beginning, could also be used to show approval or endorsement.

22. Decide to imbibe a port in the USA (7)
{SEATTLE} – Put A inside a legal word for example, that means decided by mutual agreement without resorting to action in court to get a seaport in West Washington (home to Frasier Crane).

24. Quarrel has bearing on the French (6)
{HASSLE} – HAS, plus S (south – bearing) and LE.

27. Good ones get a lot of backing — so research reveals (10)
{RACEHORSES} – An anagram (reveals) of SO RESEARCH can be found at Aintree, Newmarket Ascot etc.

28. It’s everything for some, and nothing (4)
{LOVE} – A feeling of intense desire or attraction, is also a score of zero in tennis for example.

29. Where one experiments with Socialist rhetoric? (10)
{LABORATORY} – A room or place equipped for scientific research could also be overblown rhetoric from Ed Balls.

2. Work with man that’s said to be unlucky (4)
{OPAL} – A supposedly unlucky jewel can be made from an abbreviation for a creative work followed by a mans name.

3. Affected stylish greeting (6)
{CHICHI} – A word that is used to describe something that is affectedly pretty, is something that is stylish and elegant (clothes for example) and HI.

4. Soldier seen in pub? It’s to be expected (7)
{LOGICAL} – Place a US soldier inside an inn that’s usually found close to home for something that is characterised by clear and rational reasoning.

5. Excited about grand ring set in silver (4)
{AGOG} – A word for keen anticipation or eagerness, is G (grand) and O (ring) inside the symbol for the chemical element silver.

6. Why Rose is upset with a rather wet description (7)
{SHOWERY} – An anagram (is upset) of WHY ROSE.

7. Very poor description of a beaten boxer (4-3-3)
{DOWN-AND-OUT} – An adjective that could describe someone who is destitute, could also be a boxer who has taken a count of ten.

8. Get together again for meals and beers out (10)
{REASSEMBLE} – An anagram (out) of MEALS and BEERS.

12. The buck stops here (6,4)
{RABBIT HOLE} – Along with all the does…

13. Girl’s letter giving the brush off? (10)
{DISMISSIVE} – DI’S plus a word for a formal or official letter.

14. Lincoln students going without name-tag (5)
{LABEL} – Put the shortened form of Abraham Lincoln’s first name inside LL (two learners, students).

15. Beast of burden goes round by deep gorge (5)
{ABYSS} – Put another name for a donkey around BY.

19. Tear all to pieces sideways (7)
{LATERAL} – An anagram (to pieces) of TEAR ALL.

20. Be informed about the plant (7)
{HEATHER} – A word that can mean to receive news or information is placed around THE to get the sort of plant you might find growing on the moors.

23. Eager desire for an unpleasant sensation (6)
{THIRST} – Double definition, a desire or craving, or a sensation of dryness.

25. He’s not a striking example of comradeship (4)
{SCAB} – Because he is working whilst others are on strike.

26. One will take you back in the car (4)
{GEAR} – Or forwards at a number of different speeds.

The Quick crossword pun: (trance} + {sport} = {transport}

1. Paul Smith
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Yes, a very nice start to the day, as usual on a Monday. 3d was a new word on me. Favourite was 12d which made me chuckle:)

2. marcus brown
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Lovely crossword. Rufus at his best. A role model for all compilers, surely

3. Dick
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

Pretty straightforward today, at least by the time I got to it as my wife had done most of it before going to work, the early bird and all that. She’ll be standing there with a big smile on her face, imagining my irritation at finding the leftovers. It’s how she gets her kicks. Meanwhile she’s left me a note to put the washing out.

• Miffypops
      Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Get yourself a ipad Dick. Crossword sharing would lead to cross words in our house.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

It leads to cross words in our house too! Husband and cryptics just don’t go together so he’s not a problem but when my French sister-in-law is staying it has been known to cause a quick bicker! It always makes me feel mean because I can’t help admiring someone who can do a crossword in a foreign language.

• skempie
          Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

When I was at school, we travelled to Norwich to see a production of Romeo and Juliet (studying it for O level at the time) and while waiting for the theatre to open, wandered into a nearby newsagent where they had foreign newspapers on sale. I picked up a copy of Le Monde (was also doing French for O level at the time) and had a browse through it. When we got into the theatre we had twenty minutes or so to wait until curtain up so I thought I’d have a look at the crossword, my mates were amazed when I managed to finish it in about 10 minutes but it was of the DT Quickie type ie word association rather than cryptic. Even so, I was getting some funny looks from our French master next lesson.

• Dick
        Posted July 29, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I bought an iPad for my wife for Christmas, thinking she wouldn’t use it and it would be all mine. But she loves it and we both love the crossword format on there. No more crossings out or filling-in in two different pens. It’s best when we do it together, but she’s the early riser. Just occasionally I make a supreme effort and get at it before her. I’m not too miffed since she initiated me in to the mysteries of the cryptic crossword and its something we enjoy sharing, often inspiring the answer when we talk over a clue.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Back into the usual solving pattern after a week away. An enjoyable, albeit short, romp to get us back in harness and then we had a choice of last week’s puzzles to tackle. Settled of course on the RayT from last Thurs.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

5. Graham
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 10:08 am | Permalink

This was a nice gentle start to the week, not sure if I liked 3D but hey ho, my favourite excuse the pun was 27A.many thanks to the setter & libellule for the review.

6. luz
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 10:16 am | Permalink

I must be very dim this morning. Just cannot see the answer to 26D, even with the hint!

• Posted July 29, 2013 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog luz

A car has 3,4 or 5 of these that go forward and 1 that goes in reverse.

• luz
        Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Oh. Of course. Thanks! Feeling really silly now.

7. Zeet Scooter
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 10:54 am | Permalink

Yep, a good romp in the heat of a Cyprus morning. Bring on Tuesday!

8. Derek
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Straightforward puzzle today from Rufus to start the week!

Faves : 16a, 22a, 28a, 29a, 3d, 12d, 23d & 26d.

Still sunny here today but there is strong wind and the clouds are slowly coalescing.
    A few spots of rain occasionally.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

I think your rating (*/****) and comments are spot on, Libellule. This was an exhilarating and very enjoyable start to the week with no difficulties, apart from 3d which was a new word for me and for which I needed to cheat using a crossword solver using the checking letters :-(.

Many thanks to Rufus and to Libellule.

10. Libellule
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Rufus is probably **/**** in the Guardian today, and is equally entertaining. So if you need a double dose, I would recommend it.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Even I didn’t have trouble today. 1* for difficulty and 3*/4* for enjoyment.
    My only two minor hold-ups were 29a, where I tried for a while to make it start with ‘left’ until I got 25d, and 12d – thought of deer, young men and dollars but took a while to get to rabbits!
    I liked 18 and 28a and 3 and 12d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

I’ve done this quite quickly, for me anyway, so it looks as if I might have to do something useful now but it’s very 6d in Oxford today and I don’t feel very 10a.

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I’m shocked that it took you so long to get to rabbits :wink:

Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – really sorry! :smile:

12. skempie
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

No big problems today, but must sign of computer quick, serious rain thunder and lightening getting very close indeed.

13. outnumbered
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Decent Monday offering, and as usual it was the cryptic definitions that held me up the longest. **/***

14. Rosie G
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this today, Quick and easy. Loved 1a, 27a, 29a 7d and 12d tho that was my last one in . Thanks to Rufus and Libellule. Now it is raining so I can do some much needed indoor chores.

15. Beaver
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

All seem to be of the same ‘Monday mind’ that it was not too taxing but enjoyable. Not heard of 3d before , but logical clue , so ok. did’nt know 2d was considered unlucky. Thanks to all.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

If you’re superstitious it is supposed to be unlucky to have an opal as an engagement ring unless it is your birthstone. Not sure where I’ve got that from – probably from my grandmother.

• Libellule
        Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

From Wikipedia (so take with a pinch of salt)

Historical superstitions

In the Middle Ages, opal was considered a stone that could provide great luck because it was believed to possess all the virtues of each gemstone whose color was represented in the color spectrum of the opal. It was also said to confer the power of invisibility if wrapped in a fresh bay leaf and held in the hand. Following the publication of Sir Walter Scott’s Anne of Geierstein in 1829, however, opal acquired a less auspicious reputation. In Scott’s novel, the Baroness of Arnheim wears an opal talisman with supernatural powers. When a drop of holy water falls on the talisman, the opal turns into a colorless stone and the Baroness dies soon thereafter. Due to the popularity of Scott’s novel, people began to associate opals with bad luck and death.Within a year of the publishing of Scott’s novel in April 1829, the sale of opals in Europe dropped by 50%, and remained low for the next twenty years or so.

Even as recently as the beginning of the 20th century, it was believed that when a Russian saw an opal among other goods offered for sale, he or she should not buy anything more since the opal was believed to embody the evil eye.

Opal is considered the birthstone for people born in October or under the sign of Scorpio and Libra.

• Miffypops
          Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Cor!

• Bluebird
          Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Unfair on October birthday folks!

• Expat Chris
        Posted July 29, 2013 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

My mother also said that opals were unlucky. Nevertheless, I bought a fire opal ring as a treat for myself when on a trip to Australia. I loved it and wore it every day. A year or so later, the stone dropped out on my way from the carpark to the office. I never did find it. I read somewhere that opals need to be in a moist (for want of a better word) atmosphere, otherwise they dry out and shrink, which is why they fall out of settings.

16. angel
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Piece of cake today but fun. Thanks Rufus and I agree with Libellule */****

17. mary
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks Libelulle and thanks Rufus, completed this in doctors surgery, fav clue12d, never heard of 3d had to check it out at home, after awful thunderstorms and rain the sun is out again lets hope it stays :-)

18. F1lbertfox
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

My wife, having completed today’s offering in the time it took me to down my first cup of tea of the day called out, “I think they’ve printed a Sun crossword today – I just can’t believe the clues are so simple even for a Monday”.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus and Libellule for you review. Not too taxing and enjoyable as usual.

20. SheilaP
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

Nice straightforward crossword today. Probably not as taxing as some would like, but good for me. We’re looking after no. 2 son’s 2 dogs for a fortnight, which means we’ve 4 in all, in other words, a pack. A bit chaotic but good fun.

21. BigBoab
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Usual gentle start to the week from Rufus and none the worse for it, thanks to him and to Libellule for the review.

• Posted July 29, 2013 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Big Boab.

• BigBoab
        Posted July 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Does the ‘head honcho’ have inside information or is he, among other things, psychic?
          If he’s right (have to assume he is) then happy birthday from me too. :smile:

• Posted July 29, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

Not psychic – just friends with BigBoab on Facebook!

Posted July 29, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

How do you know?

Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

Trying hard to put off doing anything that I should be doing so have just done the Rufus in the Guardian – stuck on three. Am I allowed to ask for help here – would hate to be excommunicated or whatever it is that is done to very naughty people!

Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

There’s a blog called Fifteen Squared which will give you all the help you need.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks – does that mean I’m a very naughty person? :oops:

Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Never!

• pommette
        Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

15 Squared isn’t as good as BDs as you see the answers immediately and can’t just look at the hint

• spindrift
          Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

How’s the old fella? Seems ever so quiet in these parts without his ripostes & persiflage.

23. Toni
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Like Luzon struggled with 26 down. Guessed the answer correctly but the hint clarified it thanks

24. Senf
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

A very pleasant start to the week, although the SW corner took some thought and ‘staring down’ as did 23d which was last in. Favourite was 1a.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule for the review and hints. Was 2*/3* for me, as I needed the hint for 11a, can’t believe I missed the anagram. Favourites were 29a and 14d. Had a huge downpour in Central London about 11am.

26. pommette
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

Lovely start to the week – but for some reason I didn’t spot that 11a was an anagram and just could not see the answer. Doh
    Thanks to Libellule and Rufus.

• Heno
      Posted July 29, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Me too.

27. HughGfan
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

A great start to the week – one or two nudges needed – not sure leash equals in control (19a) – figured the anagram for 27a but went blank with R_C_H_ as the start of a single word silly me the answer always feels like two 4,6. Still very enjoyable and a great set of hints/review.

• Bluebird
      Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

When you leash a dog? V
      On a long leash? N

I assume you mean that the solution isn’t an adjective ( in control) but a verb or noun?

I’ve given up that sort of pedantry as it just put up my blood pressure……and…relax…

Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

The definition in 19a is just ‘control’. The ‘in’ is just telling you that the two bits of the wordplay appear ‘in’ it.

Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Lots of fun, easy peasy. Rushing to doctor’s appointment for wonky leg

29. Bluebird
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Pleasant, but real satisfaction comes from solving a tricky one, n’est-ce pas?
    So */** for me.

3d was my favourite. That gave it the **.

30. Collywobbles
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I am enjoying this puzzle but with 23d I can just about see the eager desire relating to ‘thirst’ but I can’t see a connection with ‘a sensation of dryness’

• Heno
      Posted July 29, 2013 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Dry throat.

31. Michael
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Been painting the Garage floor this morning – had a go at this while it dries ready for the second coat.

Pretty straightforward today no real problems – I didn’t realise ****’s were unlucky (2d).

The spellchecker on my IPad is trying to get me to put a ‘z’ into ‘realise’ – aaaargh!

• skempie
      Posted July 29, 2013 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

God Bless America, doncha just luv ’em – wish they’d leave our language alone, you might want to check if you can change the language on you spell checker to English(UK) rather than English(US) which will be the deafult

• Michael
        Posted July 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Right – yes thanks.

I ‘realised’ that must be the area of the problem – I had already done the keyboard but hadn’t changed the ‘language’ option to ‘British English’.

The sequence is :- Settings – General – International – Language – British English.

I love my IPad – I’m writing this on my Dell Laptop and it’s asking me to add the word ‘IPad’ to it’s Dictionary – aaarghh!!

Posted July 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

I LOVE my iPad, too. I got mine with points on my CC, thinking I was just getting another toy, but I use this thing all day long. It can’t replace my computer but it is so handy.

32. Collywobbles
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

I thought that 12d was very clever and the best clue so far

33. Collywobbles
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Finished. First class puzzle from Rufus. A little easy but none the less enjoyable for that. Thanks to Rufus and to Libellule for the hints which were helpful in a couple of cases

34. Annidrum
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Lovely!

35. Doug Ireland
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

A nice gentle start to the week. Roll on tomorrow!

36. una
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable.Co favourites were 27a and 29a. Thanks to Rufus and Libullele.And 3d was very clever amoung many others.

37. Sarah F
    Posted July 29, 2013 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Lovely Crossword, many thanks. After moving house, am back into puzzles again!

38. Cornish Pasty (not that there is any other)
    Posted July 30, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Only 26d stumped us, thanks for the hint.