Hints and tips by Deep Threat

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment ***

Good morning from South Staffs, where a thunderstorm has just cleared the air, and the house and garden are returning to normal after the weekend’s Ruby Wedding celebrations. Thanks to all those who sent best wishes last week.

A reasonably straightforward solve this time, with nothing particularly obscure.

In the hints below, the definitions are underlined.

1a           Nouveau riche  weekend mountaineers? (6,8)
{ SOCIAL CLIMBERS } Double definition, the second being a cryptic description of people who go up mountains for pleasure.

9a           A new Guide leader in camp — that’s touching (7)
{ TANGENT } A (from the clue), New, and the first letter (leader) of Guide inside the sort of structure you might find on a campsite.

10a         Hugs and fondles awkwardly (7)
{ ENFOLDS } Anagram (awkwardly) of FONDLES.

11a         Plant is absorbing intermittent rain (4)
{ IRIS } Alternate letters (intermittent) of RaIn inside IS (from the clue)

12a         Breathing apparatus reports air is polluted (10)
{ RESPIRATOR } Anagram (polluted) of REPORTS AIR.

14a         American character rejected being adopted by half-German bloke (6)
{ GEEZER } Take what the Americans call the last letter of the alphabet, reverse it, and put the result inside the first half of GERman.

15a         Restoration must be carried out to save rich collection of memorabilia (8)
{ ARCHIVES } Anagram (restoration must be carried out) of SAVE RICH.

17a         Best old-fashioned vehicles making a comeback (8)
{ OUTSMART } The definition is a verb. A word for old-fashioned – something which is not ‘in’ –followed by the reversal of a form of public transport which was done away with in the 1940s and 50s, and is now making a comeback in cities such as Nottingham and Manchester.

18a         Worried 1d’s reversed for example (2,4)
{ ON EDGE } Another way (3,1) of writing 1d (which is nothing to do with the Down clue of that number), followed by a reversal of the usual abbreviation of ‘for example’.

21a         What WI members do in a queue? (7,3)
{ TRAFFIC JAM } Double definition: what WI members might do when not singing Jerusalem; and a queue of cars.

22a         Northern relative reported protester (4)
{ ANTI } Someone who is not pro something may sound vaguely like a Liverpudlian’s female relative.

24a         Most of horizon’s visible between twin Appalachian peaks (that’s in America!) (7)
{ ARIZONA } The initial letter of Appalachian, repeated (twin peaks) with the last five letters of hoRIZON between them.

25a         A diner’s fresh fish (7)
{ SARDINE } Anagram (fresh) of A DINER’S.

26a         IT consultant‘s small Y-fronts shrink (7,7)
{ SYSTEMS ANALYST } A charade of Small, Y (from the clue), a verb meaning fronts or holds back, and a shrink or psychiatrist.

1d           Appropriate to go topless following start of sunny session (7)
{ SITTING } The first letter of Sunny followed by a word meaning appropriate with its initial F removed.

2d           Secrecy and infidelity can’t upset when love comes in (15)
{ CONFIDENTIALITY } Anagram (upset) of INFIDELITY CAN’T with the letter which looks like a love score at tennis inserted.

3d           Lincoln died how we all hope to go? (4)
{ ABED } A familiar contraction of President Lincoln’s first name followed by Died.

4d           Tailor‘s craft (6)
{ CUTTER } Double definition, the second being a variety of sailing boat.

5d           Amateur still getting to grips with old piano (8)
{ INEXPERT } An adjective meaning still or unmoving, with the Latin preposition for old or former and the musical abbreviation for Piano inside it.

6d           Live? Shot previously (10)
{ BEFOREHAND } A two-letter word for live or exist, followed by a tennis shot.

7d           Gravity specifically averted senility somehow (8,7)
{ RELATIVE DENSITY } Anagram (somehow) of AVERTED SENILITY.

8d           Old god who’s Irish mostly (6)
{ OSIRIS } One of the Egyptian pantheon is hidden in the clue.

13d         One hairstyle after another — on the street that’s exceptionally cool (10)
{ PERMAFROST } A hairstyle involving the use of chemicals and rollers to create waves, then a style favoured by black Americans in the 1960s and 1970s, then an abbreviation for Street.

16d         Trumpet virtuoso’s profession (8)
{ PROCLAIM } A word for a virtuoso which emphasises that he/she is not an amateur, followed by a profession or statement of belief.

17d         Nothing suitable for the whole family to see? Disney’s upset following ban (6)
{ OUTLAW } The letter which looks like a zero, followed by the cinema classification which denotes a film suitable for the whole family, followed by a reversal (upset) of Mr Disney’s first name.

19d         Noted Forster in hospital department (7)
{ EMINENT }The initials of the author of Room with a View, IN (from the clue) and the hospital department staffed by otorhinolaryngologists.

20d         Sweat heartily in sizzling sauna causing distaste (6)
{ NAUSEA } The middle letter (heartily) of sweat inside an anagram (sizzling) of SAUNA

23d         Mariachi’s entertaining song (4)
{ ARIA } Hidden inside the clue.

The Quick Crossword pun { CHOOSE }{ DAME }{ AWNING } = { TUESDAY MORNING }

1. Michael
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

All present and correct – I’m a bit dubious about the cryptic explanation for 26a – ‘fronts’ to ‘*****’ is a bit of a tenuous leap – only my personal opinion!

Thanks to all – another excellent puzzle!

Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

One of the meanings of stem (according to the BRB) is the forepart of a ship.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Of course, just tumbled. “From stem to stern”, never knew exactly what that meant before.

• andy
          Posted July 23, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you Merusa, the penny has finally dropped, apologies DT and Gazza I just couldn’t see it despite your hints

• mary
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Hi Michael I share that opinion too

2. Graham
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Excellent brain workout today, some excellent clues & long anagrams to solve, 21A made me giggle with 24A a close second.Many thanks to setter & DT for the review only needed to confirm a couple of answers. No rain yet in the deep south but refreshingly cooler.

• Magmull
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Yes, I loved 21A too, but being a pernickety pedant I query 17A. According to my ‘normous thesaurus “out” is only used in its old fashioned sense when attached to something like “dated” or “moded”. Anyone else agree with me? I’m still trying to get my comments listed under the current x word – maybe a granddaughter will put me to rights this afternoon.

• Heno
        Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

The BRB says ” not in use or fashion” for out. So I would disagree, but it’s very interesting all the same.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

A nice start to the day. Many thanks to setter (i’m going to guess at Shamus, although i’d never make any money at playing the guess the setter game :) ) and to Deep Threat for the dissection.

4. mary
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:21 am | Permalink

Good morning DT thanks for the blog today although I didn’t need it to finish this one, I didn’t like the ‘stem’ part of 26a and although I got the answer in 15a I completely missed the anagram indicator once again! I needed the explaination for 16d too, no real favourite clue today, though lots that I liked, a decidedly cooler day here today, much fresher but no rain or storms, yet…

• mary
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I try to avoid saying the word ‘today’ too often in the blog but notice I’ve already said it four times today already, five now!!!

5. Miffypops
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

. A jolly little puzzle today with nothing too taxing.17ac and 17d were clever clues. Here is hoping for tougher stuff as the week goes on. ta to all concerned.

• Heno
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Like the new Avatar, had some lovely pints of Tribute when on holiday in North Devon recently.

• Miffypops
        Posted July 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I prefer Marstons Pedigree, Draught Bass and London Pride. This photo was taken on a table outside The Green Man in Long Itchington and sent to a customer on holiday abroad.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Not free advertising again!!! Bring back the socks! :)

• slartibartfast
          Posted July 23, 2013 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Youngs special and adnams broadside

6. Derek
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Solved this while suffering from a painfully swollen left wrist – very difficult to handle the BRB etc..

Faves : 15a, 21a, 26a, 4d, 7d & 13d.

Rain hasn’t yet arrived here.

7. Poppy
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Good morning DT hope you enjoyed prolonged ruby celebrations. We’re still working out what we’re going to do later this year… Enjoyed this puzzle, and 21a made me laugh out loud – brilliant! Thank you setter, and to DT for clarification and confirmation.

8. Clarky
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Back from holiday in time for the weather to break in Perthshire. Consoled by this enjoyable puzzle, however!
    21a, 18a, 13d, 26a all brought a smile.
    Thanks to setter and DT for confirming the last ones in.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Thank you setter, not too severe a challenge. Thanks DT for your review and explanations – a couple of which I needed to tell me why I had the right answers ! 18a being one of them.

10. Andrew
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Pleasant distraction from the media’s obsession with the Royal baby. Sympathy for the poor parents for whom privacy is never going o be an option :-(

• Michael
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I expected 1a to relate to the royal baby. Perhaps it did?

• slartibartfast
        Posted July 23, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

What royal baby? Did I miss something?

• Michael
          Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

What’s the weather like on Zog? It’s hot here on Earth.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Another very enjoyable puzzle today with 15a containing the longest anagram indicator I’ve ever seen in my admittedly short cryptic crossword career so far.

My rating today is the same as DT’s: 2* difficulty; 3* enjoyment. 16d was my last one in, and 6d my favourite.

Many thanks to Mr Ron and to DT for the review

12. skempie
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Apparently we had a severe thunderstorm last night. I seem to remember hearing a rumble and everything’s wet this morning, so I guess I’ve just been missing a lot of sleep recently.

Anyway, perhaps the kip did me good because I didn’t find too much problem today although the SW corner held me up for a bit. I thought 13D was very clever whilst I stumbled over 21A because ‘Get Bigger Buns’ didn’t fit.

• spindrift
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Still persisting down here in East Midlands & decidedly cooler.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat for the review and hints. Very enjoyable puzzle, lots of favourites, 21,24,26a and 3,8,13d. Only had one problem, I put evident for 19d, which was clearly wrong. Was 2*/4* for me. A couple of thundershowers in Central London so far.

14. Senf
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Completed about two thirds before lights out last night, and the rest before the first caffeine infusion this morning – so I concur with BT’s ratings. I thought one or two clues were a little ‘contrived’ – especially 26a! Favourite would be 1a.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Didn’t enjoy this one much, spoiled for me by 14a, 17a, 24a and 13d all of which totally defeated me. :-(
    Liked 21a though, very clever.
    Must be the humidity, my brain stopped working today. Thx to DT for the hints without which I would never have finished.

• ChrisH
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Agree about 14a. Can never understand why ‘rejected’ means ‘backwards’ Also agree about humidity addling the brain; It’s not cooler in my part of the East Midlands, positively steamy.

16. BigBoab
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

I didn’t find this very difficult at all but reasonably good fun, thanks to the setter and to Deep Threat for the very amusing review. ( the toughie is about the same standard today)

Posted July 23, 2013 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

2* for difficulty and 4* for enjoyment from me today.
    I really liked this one. When I first started to look I thought it was going to be difficult – only managed two across answers but did far more of the downs and then everything started to look possible.
    I needed the hint to explain 18a and had to BRB the 26a stems/fronts – didn’t know that.
    I thought there were lots of good clues – just a few are 15 and 22a (once I’d stopped trying to make it begin with ‘N’) and 1 and 5d. My favourite was 21a.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and Deep Threat.
    Lots of thunder rumbling around early this morning and a couple of torrential downpours only lasting a minute or two. Hot again now (29C).

• spindrift
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Working with my desk lamp on waiting for the next downpour. Mrs S has been in & out with the washing like a dog at a fair. Spectacular light show last night accompanied by a deafening soundtrack. nobody should mess with Mother Nature – she’ll always win.

• andy
      Posted July 23, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

from 03:30 till 08:00 it was ridiculous here, very “spectacular” in a far eastern way. But with car and burglar alarms set off from people obviously on holiday – not a restful night!! Poured down again from 08:15 till 10:00 then nothing. Now I want it to, it’s not as warm as last night but the humidity is … not nice….

18. neveracrossword
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable – apart from 26a (yuck!) Weather very pleasant on the coast in Devon – ideal for golf.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Why was 26a yuck?

19. Silveroak
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this puzzle, fairly straightforward with some good clues to tax the brain cells. Thanks DT for explaining some I solved but didn’t know why and for the Otis Redding I am enjoying as I write this. Nary a mention of the celebrations in London today which I have been watching from Chicago on CNN. No-one does pomp and circumstance like the Brits.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I love ‘Sitting on the dock of the bay’ too. Unfortunately the sound on my computer seems to have gone AWOL – must have pressed something I shouldn’t have done – have now pressed everything again but still no sound! :sad: Will have to wait for husband to get home this pm.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

It works now! :smile:

20. Toni
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

Loved 24a
    Didn’t need help today but always drop by to read the comments

21. Rosie G
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Late effort, but enjoyed it. I too question some of the definitions but put it down to my own ignorance and quite like getting the answer but not being quite sure why!
    **/*** for me today. Thanks to setter and to Deep Threat for explanations!
    Downpour in the night and a wet walk this morning but no cooler.

22. stanXYZ
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

A very enjoyable puzzle for Tuesday Morning!

And the Quickie Pun was excellent IMHO!

23. Maggie
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Hurray, actually managed to do more than half with no help – makes up for those days when I get almost nowhere (I find the whole cryptic thing very tricky but love it). Thanks to DT for hints with the rest. Liked 21a. In Munich – hot, hot & sunny.

24. MagicMike
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Difficult enough for a hot afternoon in the garden listening to Radio 3

25. Piglet
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

One of the most enjoyable crosswords for a long time, with great surface reads and some lovely.chuckle moments. Completely disagree with the negative comments on 26. It’s fair game in the cryptic world. Favourite? Got to be 21. Oh, and thanks to DT and the setter. Wish I knew who it was, because I could easily become a fan.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

PS – Thanks particularly to DT for the Otis Redding (oh, and the hints, of course!) On August 10th eleven of us will be here for the weekend. Six of us shared a house when we were training and the rest of them might as well have lived with us but didn’t – well, not quite! I’m trying to remember all the really important bits of music to put together to play – that was one, and I might have forgotten it.

27. Outnumbered
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

I found this more of a slog than anything. Maybe it’s lack of sleep! Anyway ***/**. Disliked 26a and also 16d – the presence of the apostrophe-s in the clue doesn’t seem right to me,

• Posted July 23, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

The “excuse” for the ‘s is that it represents has – pro has claim. Don’t blame the messenger!

• Outnumbered
        Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Not convinced! Still looks like trying too hard for a better surface reading, to me. But thanks for elaborating further.

28. una
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Thanks for explanation of 16d, which I didn’t get, BD. I still don’t get 18a.And I didn’t like 14a.I may have to change my moniker to grumpy Una. The other clues were very user friendly.Thanks to setter and DT.

Posted July 23, 2013 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Don’t be grumpy una – ON E D (another way of writing 1 d(own) followed by a reversal of EG

• una
        Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks !You must have got a terrrific harvest , with all the sun and heat.

Posted July 24, 2013 at 8:43 am | Permalink

Got home from work yesterday to find the kitchen full of cherries

29. pommette
    Posted July 23, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyed today’s xword . . . 2* / 4* for me. Didn’t need any help but thanks to Deep Threat for the blog and Mr Ron for an enjoyable workout.

What wasn’t so enjoyable is that my laptop has died! Pommers killed it whilst I was in the UK last week. :( Grrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Oh well, new one arriving tomorrow so I shall enjoy playing with that

• una
      Posted July 24, 2013 at 12:11 am | Permalink

Laptopicide is a heinous crime, and mustn’t be condoned.

30. Roger
    Posted July 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I thought this was a fabulous crossword with some stunning and amusing clues. Really liked 21 and 13.