DT 27175 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27175 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Don’t forget you can still enter our May Prize puzzle!

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a           Meal — father tucks into what’s left (6)
A two-letter word for a father inside what’s left

10a         Department for the Business Secretary? (8)
A three-letter word meaning for followed by the first name of the current Business Secretary

11a         Jazz fan plays around taking Ecstasy producing trance-like state (9)
This three-letter jazz fan only ever appears in crosswords these days – follow him with an anagram (around) of PLAYS around E(cstasy)

17a         Expert investigating our helicopter crashing (7,6)
An anagram (crashing) of OUR HELICOPTER

23a         Anger director going into superfluous detail in safety exercise (4,5)
A three-letter word for anger and D(irector) inside a superfluous detail

25a         Married adventurous girl, showing ill will (6)
M(arried) followed by the name of the girl who had Adventures in Wonderland

26a         Story book series editor put together with skill (8)
A charade of a story followed by a series of books of the bible and ED(itor) gives an adjective meaning with skill

27a         Mean ‘like a bee’ (6)
This adjective meaning mean or tight could be an adjective describing a bee

1d           Whistler expert to restore front (6)
The three-letter abbreviated form of the sports official who blows a whistle followed by an expert

2d           Some send backing for employee not fully occupied (4-5)
A four-letter word meaning some followed by the reversal (backing) of a verb meaning to send

3d           Small trace of injury apparently bright red (7)
This could be a small trace of an earlier injury, but it isn’t!

7d           Actor missing start of tribute (5)
The actor famous for playing, among others, Forrest Gump is derived by dropping (missing) the initial letter (start) from a tribute

12d         A breeze in part of Genoa perhaps (5,2,4)
This could be a slice of a product from Genoa

19d         New version left simple vessel (7)
An adjective meaning politically to the left followed by a simple vessel like the one used by Thor Heyerdahl over 60 years ago

20d         Doc’s chum with nothing much happening (6)
Two definitions  – another of Snow White’s dwarves and an adjective used to describe a town in which nothing much is happening

22d         Exercise  baboon (5)
A double definition

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

PLEASE DON’T PUT WHOLE OR PARTIAL ANSWERS OR ALTERNATIVE CLUES IN YOUR COMMENT, ELSE THEY MAY BE CENSORED!

The Quick crossword pun: (milk} + {shiekh} = {milk shake}

1. weekendwanda
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

This was a quickie! Top half went straight in. Problem was that I found the answer from the definition of many of the clues and put them in as they were obvious and unarguable. I then worked out the reason. I quite like doing that so I am not complaining but it happened more often than usual. I was left however with the SW corner. Last one in was 24a. but got there in the end. For reasons which I shall not go into in case it gets me into the naughty corner I did not put 22d in until I was absolutely certain. 12d my favourite (in more ways than one) but very easy to solve. Thank you setter (Cephas or not?) and BD whose hints I enjoyed reading retrospectively.

2. njm
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Thoroughly enjoyable and about the right level of difficulty IMHO. 20d favorite. **/****.
    Thanks to compiler and BD, even tho’ I didn’t need the latter’s input today.

3. Colmce
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Found this a struggle and took rather longer than usual to complete, but still enjoyable after the doh moments.

Thanks to BD for the hints…not needed, and to the setter who took up quite a lot of my time this morning.

Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:48 am | Permalink

What a nice start to the weekend **/****. My favourite clues today were 1d, 12d and 27a ( unlike Kath following her comment yesterday, I like having more than one favourite! :smile: ).

The baboon in 22d was a new word for me, but the BRB revealed all (as usual!). I only started doing the DT cryptic crossword less than a year ago. Cleverly (with hindsight!) about 6 months prior to that, I decided that I needed a new dictionary to replace my 50 year old dog-eared one from my schooldays. Happily I opted for the BRB, not realising quite how useful it was going to become!

Last one in was 7d as once I’d got the checking letters I couldn’t stop thinking about the actor Ciaran ***** – until the penny finally dropped.

Many thanks to the setter and to BD, although I didn’t need any hints today.

Posted May 11, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I always have lots of clues that I like but I STILL don’t think you can have more than one favourite – grammatically I mean! Maybe I’d better shut up now. :smile:

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted May 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

You had better tell Microsoft, although they can’t even spell Favourites correctly! :grin:

Posted May 11, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

Why Microsoft?

• Rabbit Dave
            Posted May 11, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Microsoft’s Internet Explorer has a “Favorites Bar” (with no “u” and no apostrophe) to allow users to create shortcuts to their favourite web-sites (plural!).

And please don’t keep your mouth shut – especially if you believe you are right :-)

Posted May 11, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Thank you, on both counts. Have a lovely evening. :smile:

• Steve_the_beard
        Posted May 11, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Kath, I take your point; one of the definitions is “a person or thing that is preferred to all others of the same kind”.

On the other hand, Mary Poppins did have quite a few favourite things :-)

• Rabbit Dave
          Posted May 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

The question is: “is favouritism unique?”

Posted May 11, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

In horseracing you get ‘joint favourites’ and co-favourites.

Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Permalink

I think that’s cheating because it’s all numbers and statistics (and a load more stuff that I don’t understand, like sport!)

• albatross
          Posted May 11, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

It wasn’t Mary Poppins, it was Maria in Sound of Music (I think).

• Steve_the_beard
            Posted May 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

You are, of course, correct :-)

Posted May 11, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Oh dear!! One day I really will learn to keep my big mouth shut – but I still think I’m right!

• Poppy
        Posted May 11, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

I agree with you, Kath and I’m not convinced that Microsoft has the lead on grammatical correctness. I thought that one can have various favourites provided they are in different categories. Ie people or languages or places etc. but as regards this blog, we’re talking about a single category – clues – so (IMHO) I think one can only have one favourite clue on any one day…. I’ll join you on the ‘shut up now’ step :-)

Posted May 11, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

Oh – a new step! Naughty step (or corner) has cake – what should the ‘shut up now’ step have? :smile:

Posted May 11, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Nice wine and nibbles? :)

Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Yes – definitely and, of course, the SUN because it’s the S(hut) U(p) N(ow) step. You bring the wine, I’ll bring the nibbles! :smile: Who is going to be first person to be sent there?

• Poppy
                Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

Well I’m happy to volunteer as the one who started the latest kerfuffle – but I’d be grateful for company…

Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Thank you setter and BD for your hints. Good fun – quite difficult for me, but got there in the end. Weather in NW is now consistent, so, easy to plan the day’s tasks – rain all the time.

• Caravaggio
      Posted May 11, 2013 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

I totally agree with all your comments, Sweet William, although, at the time of this post, the sun has just broken through. For the first time ever, I almost forgot to post a comment…

6. Franny
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this today, though it was odd to find the same word occurring twice. I’ve managed to finish it all with no problems except for 8d where I am now stuck. Many thanks, however to the setter and to BD for the hints. :-)

• Prolixic
      Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

A type of German wine comes from putting the abbreviation for that is inside the abbreviation for right and a type of cocktail.

• Franny
        Posted May 11, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Prolixic. I had the wrong tense for 4a. All done now. :-)

7. jezza
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

I also liked this one today. Thanks to setter, and to BD for the notes.

Posted May 11, 2013 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I thought this was fairly straightforward – 2* for difficulty and 3* for enjoyment from me today.
    Did most of it quite quickly, for me anyway, but ended up with two in each of the right hand corners that took a while – 10a and 7d and 27a and 20d.
    I didn’t know the baboon in 22d but it had to be what it was so looked it up – might remember for future use and might not!
    I wasn’t too sure about the ending of 15d so waited until I had 27a – silly really as it’s pretty clear.
    The whistler bit of 1d threw me for a while probably because it was the first word of the clue and so had a capital letter.
    I liked 11, 17 (can’t resist anything involving David Suchet!) and 27a and 1, 12 and 20d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron or Cephas and BD.
    Grizzly here today – that’s a cross between grey and drizzly.

9. williamus
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

All done with a minimum of BRB help, but I’ll admit I put a few in without really knowing why so I’m grateful as ever to BD for the explanations and humour. 9a was last in – I always forget that there are two ways of spelling the second part of that word (if that makes sense!) Thanks to the setter for not taking up too much of my Saturday. Wet here in Birmingham but I cut the grass yesterday and the Grand Prix qualifying is on the BBC. Isn’t Suzi Perry wonderful? ;-)

10. SheilaP
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Didn’t realise that one could shorten the name of the baboon in 22 down especially as Franny pointed out, the same word had already been used. Thanks to setter & for the hints.

• Jezza
      Posted May 11, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

SheilaP – I could be wrong, but I don’t think the name of the baboon is shortened. I think this one, and the one you are thinking of, are not the same.

• williamus
        Posted May 11, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

You’re quite right – I believe the “unshortened” version is the larger monkey

• Only fools
          Posted May 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

The …….. like the related …….., was formerly thought to be a forest-dwelling baboon, but it is now known to be related to some of the mangabeys; (monkeys)
          Nice puzzle in deference to Kath Favourite 5d .
          Thanks very much .

• SheilaP
            Posted May 11, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the information…..you are quite right & I am wrong ( not for the first time ). However the setter has used the same word twice.

11. NigelN
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD, I got them all apart from 7d which had me flummoxed until I read your hint, then it made perfect sense. I had trouble with the 17a anagram on the iPad but once I bought paper version and set the letters out, it was fine! Enjoyed it today.

Posted May 11, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog NigelN.

12. Outnumbered
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Did most of it quite quickly, then got held up in the SE corner. I was also looking for some other solution for 23a that didn’t use the obvious second word.

27a was nice groaner once I’d worked it out.

13. Poppy
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Loved working this one out. Like Kath, I waited before filling in the last two letters of 15d – and to keep the ball travelling I particularly liked quite a few today, but will stick to the grammatically correct-ness (GC?) of a single favourite of 21a (as the cowboys use my favourite animal…. Anyone got a spare Falabella going free?). Thank you to the setter, as well as to BD (although in view of the number of delightful pictures the gents get on this blog, I would have loved one to illustrate 21a – with or without four legs) :-)

14. Hrothgar
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable workout.
    Memorised the seven, 20d, a few days ago when they cropped up again after a er..er er…few days.
    Thanks to the setter and – 3d PWOAR – BD for the review.

15. Shawn as in 'prawn'
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

All done! But needed your help with 10a and 7d. Will have to watch more Sky News to keep up to date with happenings in the North. Once I had 10a then the last one was easy, so thanks for the clues. Watching sevens rugby from London which doesn’t count I suppose?

16. mary
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Late today as been to the local ‘Caravan and camping’ show, started before I left this morning and finished off now, favourite clue, sticking to one, 12d, tho there were many others I liked, had never heard of 22d for baboon before, not sure I understand how I have the answer to 24a? also liked 27a a lot :-), thanks for hints Dave admit to needing two of them, well at least it’s dry here today but more like March than May!

• Heno
      Posted May 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary 24a, abbreviation of east Coast state with another word for border & a word for home inside.

• mary
        Posted May 12, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Of course, thanks Heno, wouldn’t have seen that :-)

Posted May 11, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter, and to Big Dave for the hints. Very enjoyable, but quite straightforward. favourites were 11&17a. Was 1*/3* for me. Off to dodge the showers and see the Squash Finals.

Posted May 11, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

No great problems today but took a while to get into it then things began to fall into place. Never heard of the baboon before so learnt something today. 17a was a super anagram. Thx to all concerned.

19. Kevin (don't ask!)
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

BD, my hero; many thanks for the hints. Today is the first time I have finished the prize DT on the day. Normally it takes me most of the week!
    Got one clue at first reading and then went on to use ALL your hints.

• Posted May 11, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Kevin

Glad I could help!

Posted May 11, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

The ‘don’t ask’ bit instantly makes me want to!

• Kevin (don't ask!)
        Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

I’m a lady of rather mature years and its my nickname.

Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

How lovely! What’s wrong with that? A while ago when our daughters were teenagers they suddenly started calling me haggis. After a while I dared to ask them why. They said that it was long for hag! :roll: Rather wished that I hadn’t asked!

20. Zoe McAndry
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

What is the BRB some have made reference to?? I think I need it!!! Zxx

• Rabbit Dave
      Posted May 11, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Zoe, have a look at the FAQ tab at the top of the page. You’ll find the answer is about the tenth one down.

21. KiwiColin
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

A mild complaint about 10a. These puzzles are syndicated throughout the world. This puzzle will appear in Wellington’s Dominion-Post in about 5 weeks. Using the first name of someone who is most unlikely to have been heard of outside the UK is, in my opinion, a really unsatisfactory clue.
    Apart from that, which we got anyway, enjoyed the puzzle.
    Cheers.

• Kingsley
      Posted May 12, 2013 at 9:24 am | Permalink

Hi Kiwi Colin
      I live in South Africa (and spend my weekends doing the DT prize crossword and watching Super 15 rugby, which I assume you might do too!).If you have it available in LongWhiteCloud Land, I suggest you watch Sky News or BBC news and you will learn all about these obscure politicians of theirs!

• Only fools
        Posted May 12, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

In fairness it is a much more common word for department in both SA and NZ than it is in the UK and with the checking letters could not be anything else .
        Enjoy your Rugby .

22. Rod Ash
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I needed the dictionary for 11a and a “wake up” call for 20d but otherwise pretty straight forwards.
    I liked 17a and 19d.

23. Sue
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks for an entertaining one this Saturday. Kept my mind occupied whilst awaiting the birth of my second grandchild, anyway!

Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

How exciting – hope that all is OK.

24. mikef
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Really enjoyed this one and only needed a couple of hints for a change. I did most of it during the enforced breaks from gardening caused by the frequent showers.

25. After 10pm
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Many lovely clues today but I think 17a is the best I’ve seen for a long time!

26. una
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

A very nice and enjoyable crossword. 5d and 15d were among my favorites (spellcheck wont allow me to spell it with a “u”, for some reason ).I needed Chambers cd for 11a. Thanks to the settter and BD for explanations.

27. una
    Posted May 11, 2013 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

I caught up with my reading today of Thursday DT, and found a very amusing pun made by Allison Pearson about the word “stoned”.I’m wondering if Rufus (or another setter ) will work it into a double definition.

28. Kingsley
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Finished it without BD’s help ((although I checked some of my answers against his hints). Found 22d a bit obscure (to me!) and battled with 13a for a long time. The British geographical features (and your politicians – see Kiwi Colin’s comment earlier) make life a bit difficult for us colonials!
    (A beautiful warm autumn day here in South Africa today!)

29. Dawn
    Posted May 12, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Belatedly joining in due to my 50th birthday yesterday…thanks to BD for the hints and also to setter.

Bottom half went in more easily than top half but enjoyed it all