Hints and tips by Libellule

BD Rating – Difficulty * Enjoyment ****

A beautiful morning and a fun crossword, what more can you want!

1. Wave to ship from high fairground attraction (13)
{ROLLERCOASTER} – A word for a heavy swelling wave, is followed by a vessel engaged in seashore trade to get an steep, elevated railway found at a fairground.

10. Compensate for being out of line? (7)
{REDRESS} – What a group of soldiers might do if they were aligned badly, is also a word used to describe making amends.

11. Rent-a-party? It’s a wind-up (7)
{TORNADO} – TORN (rent) A and the usual two letter word for a party.

12. In extremities they can be accommodating (4)
{INNS} – IN, and the two cardinal points found in the polar regions are also public lodging houses.

13. Shakespeare’s theatre in the round? (5)
{GLOBE} – The name of the theatre associated with Shakespeare is also a word that describes a sphere.

14. Is featured in current record (4)
{DISC} – Place IS inside a type of electrical current.

17. Complaint I will put to head (7)
{ILLNESS} – ILL (I will) and the sort of head that is a geographical promontory or cape.

18. Regretted planting tree in shade (7)
{REPINED} – Place an evergreen coniferous tree inside a colour to get a word that means to be fretful or yearning..

19. Preparing cheese grill? (7)
{GRATING} – How you might prepare a cheese topping is also a word used to describe a frame of metal bars.

22. Big drop in Canadian and American currency (7)
{NIAGARA} – Is also a large waterfall found between the borders of the USA and Canada.

24. Love girl’s curved shape (4)
{OVAL} – O and a girls name is also an egg like shape.

25. Something wicked about ‘Nothing to declare’? (5)
{VOICE} – Put O (nothing) inside an immoral practice or habit, to get the sound produced by speaking for example.

26. Musicians forbidden to speak (4)
{BAND} – A word that sounds like (to speak) BANNED.

29. The opposite of praise? Well, no! (3-4)
{RUN-DOWN} – A phrase that could mean to speak badly of someone, is also used to describe being in poor health.

30. It dispels pain, sir (7)
{ASPIRIN} – An anagram (it dispels) of PAIN SIR.

31. Yet it’s neither sooner or later (2,3,4,4)
{AT THE SAME TIME} – A phrase that can mean however or nonetheless could also describe things that take place neither in the future or the past but within their own nonspatial continuum.

2. No cardinal’s spoken about noise (7)
{ORDINAL} – A type of number that describes order in a series can be constructed from a word that means spoken rather than written placed about a word that is a jumble of loud discordant sounds.

3. I was first to grasp being misrepresented (4)
{LIED} – Put I inside (grasp) a word that means you were ahead of everyone.

4. Consequences of Ulster’s rebuilding (7)
{RESULTS} – An anagram (rebuilding) of ULSTERS.

5. O to be in credit for one month! (7)
{OCTOBER} – Take O, and then put TO BE inside CR (credit).

6. Sounds like one bound for the crest of a wave (4)
{SURF} – A word that sounds like SERF (one bound).

7. Family member losing head in high spirits (7)
{ELATION} – Remove R (the first letter – losing head) from a word that describes people who are connected by blood or marriage to get a feeling of great joy.

8. Home fixture exhausting directors (8,5)
{DRAINING BOARD} – The sort of home fixture that is a sloped grooved surface that is found next to a sink.

9. Compulsory grounding for an aviator (6,7)
{FORCED LANDING} – An unscheduled putting down of an aircraft that occurs due to factors outside the pilot’s control.

15. Start being involved (5)
{BEGIN} – An anagram (involved) of BEING.

16. Fish traps put out (5)
{SPRAT} – An anagram (put out) of TRAPS.

20. Not a word for a win on the way (7)
{AGAINST} – A, a word that describes attaining something, like winning a competition, and an abbreviation for street is also a word that is used when you are in opposition or resistance to something.

21. Reasons for sediment (7)
{GROUNDS} – Double definition, to provide justifications, or what’s left after making coffee for example.

22. Such a bonus for drivers leads to a reduced cover charge (2-5)
{NO-CLAIM} – A discount on an insurance policy given because you haven’t had an accident the previous year or years.

23. Sue is of use (7)
{ANAGRAM} – 30a, 4d, 15d, 16d, 28d

27. Ring up Winnie? (4)
{POOH} – Reverse (up) a word for a circular band to get the name of a fictional bear.

28. See post is sorted (4)
{SPOT} – An anagram (sorted) of POST.

The Quick crossword pun: (vile} + {inn} + {beau} = {violin bow}

Posted May 6, 2013 at 9:36 am | Permalink

The introduction says it all. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule. I am off out into the sun while it lasts.

2. Only fools
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 9:43 am | Permalink

Totally agree with the ratings and the comments .
    Faves 8d,23d,25a.
    A real pleasure completed outdoors !
    Thanks very much .

Posted May 6, 2013 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I agree */****. A lovely crossword for a lovely day here in London. Thanks very much to the setter and to Libellule.

Happy Bank Holiday to everyone in the UK.

4. tilsit
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Nice straightforward puzzle by the Monday Maestro which I need, given what I am up to later….

If anyone needs a good laugh, I shall be on Radio 4 between 12 and 1 today.

This could be carnage!

• una
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I’ve just finished listening to the program and you sounded very nice.Keep up the good work !

• una
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Isn’t anybody else going to congratulate Tilsit on his radio debut ?There has been more fuss on this blog about hyphenated words and winky collies….

5. Caroline
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:28 am | Permalink

Completed without clues! Needed explanation for 23d and when there wasn’t one I worked it out myself. Oh happy days! Sunny and warm in Herrtfordshire.

• Bluebird
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Did you mean ‘without HINTS’ Caroline?
      Otherwise you are seriously brainy!

Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:45 am | Permalink

Finished but simply do not understand the clue for 23d.
    How is sue is of use anything to do with an anagram?
    Very puzzling!
    Apart from that, a very pleasant crossword with a very clever clue in 22a and also learnt a new word in 18a.
    Thx to all concerned.

• Hrothgar
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Sue is an anagram of use.

• Rabbit Dave
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

Nothing to do with the clue, but our very own (Cryptic) Sue is of a great deal of use to us bloggers :grin:

Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

When I first met Elgar and he found out I was Cryptic Sue, he said he was going to call me ‘use’ from now on. Took a while for the penny to drop. Luckily for me he seems to have forgotten :) .

Thank you for the compliment RD.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Yes – I agree.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Thanks, I couldn’t figure that one out. How stupid can one get!

• Libellule
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:55 am | Permalink

If you look carefully at the hint for 23d, you will find that all the clues (30a, 4d, 15d, 16d, 28d) in today’s crossword are anagrams too :-)

• Brian
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Yes I get that but couldn’t see how it related to the clue. From the checking letters it had to be anagram but if Hrothgar had not explained it, I would still be in the dark.

• Brian
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Weird! I wouldn’t have seen that if I lived to be 100!
      What a mind it must take to come up with that one.

• Brian
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:01 am | Permalink

PS Mrs B has walked off in disgust whilst making a comment that would be unprintable here :-)

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Was she commenting on the inability to see the simplest anagram in the world or ….???

• Hrothgar
            Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

AT and NO could be an even smaller and simpler anagrams.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

True – but I could be biased in favour of my own personal anagram :)

• Brian
            Posted May 6, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

No she is brilliant at anagrams and they are her favourite clue. What safe didn’t like was the construct that had no anagram indicator. Neither of us could see the construction of what was a vey clever but well hidden clue.

• Amanda
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I couldn’t see it at all either. I only got the answer because of the checking letters.
        I don’t understand the clue for 22a either. Currency?
        On the whole I found this enjoyably gentle. 13a didn’t strike me as cryptic at all.
        Thanks to setter and Libellule.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:18 am | Permalink

Current can be a portion of water flowing in a particular direction. Currency means circulation. Rufus is saying that the solution is flowing or in circulation.

• Libellule
          Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

Amanda,
          in the round – with the stage in the centre of the audience.

• Amanda
            Posted May 6, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Exactly, Libellule. That’s why the clue isn’t cryptic for me!
            Thank you, Crypticsue, that helps (a bit!).
            Am obviously being rather dense today.

• Peter
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Well, I still can’t see it. Can someone explain it in simple words for my old, befuddled, hot brain? Thanks

• Amanda
          Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Sue is (an anagram) of use!

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Lots of fun! 19A, 31A and 23D raised a smile, though 23D was the last one in and a big d’oh moment when the penny dropped. No hints needed but as alway the review is appreciated. Thanks to the setter for a good start to the day. Too dark still to see what the sky looks like, but hoping for some gentle rain to help my new plantings settle in. Enjoy your lovely Bank holiday weather!

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:26 am | Permalink

We thought that 23d was an absolutely brilliant clue. So simple yet so hard to see. We guessed it would be the one that got most comments and sure enough, it was. A very pleasant solve and although it was over quickly, it left heaps of time to take up BD’s advice and tackle the 1992 “Greetings” EV puzzle from Rustic. Also a lot of fun.
    Thanks Rufus and Libellule.

9. Brenda Reding
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

What fun! A real treat for a Bank Holiday! Liked11 and 22A, 3 and 23 D. Have not stopped laughing since.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

I think everything there is to say has already been said. I even agree with the ratings. Perhaps I should go now!
    Please don’t ask why but, even with alternate letters in, 1a took me ages – oh dear! So did 23d although it is probably now my favourite clue.
    Also really liked 11, 19, 25 and 29a and 5 and 27d.
    With thanks to Rufus and Libellule.
    Lovely day again – off to garden but won’t get much done as sister is about to arrive.

11. jezza
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

I liked this one today. 1*/4* for me. Thanks to Rufus, and to Libellule.

12. una
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Rufus at his best.Favorite was 31a. Thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

13. BigBoab
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Very easy to enjoy and solve, perfect for a Monday morning, many thanks to Rufus and Libellule.

14. Bluebird
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

This was one of the fun ones where filling everything in was quick, but some of the cryptics took a bit of retrospective working out.
    I’m with others on 23d, but I also took ages to decide that currency related to the movement of the water….

15. Nigel Baker
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Agree with the above. Lovely sunny day in Lancashire too. Back to the gardening. Thanks to all.

16. Steve_the_beard
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

That was fun!

I expect somewill will tell me that 5D is an old chestnut, but I’ve never seen it before and it impressed me mightily.

22A was a pleasure too.

Nothing personal Libellule, but when I saw 24A my hopes were raised so high that there might be a picture to go with the hint… something artistic, obviously :-)

Posted May 6, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I don’t know whether or not 5d is an old chestnut but I’ve never seen anything like it and as for 24a Libellule doesn’t go in for pictures, so bad luck to all of you chaps! :smile:

17. neveracrossword
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable but unlike Pricey Cuts I didn’t get 23d.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Behave! :D

18. Outnumbered
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Great fun, but I got held up for a looooooong time on 8d, I only got it in the end when I walked past the one in the utility room and it suddenly clicked.

I also had FLYING LESSONS in for 9d originally, which I actually think is a better answer for that as a cryptic clue.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

I think flying lessons is a good answer too – the only problem is that, apart from 30a, it would have totally messed up ALL the answers that have their last letters in it!

• Outnumbered
        Posted May 6, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

30a was the only intersecting one I had I at the time I put the wrong answer in !

Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – that must have really messed up the whole of the right hand side – hope it didn’t take too long to sort out.

19. Sarah F
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Great fun, and just needed a couple of hints.

Thanks to Rufus and reviewer.

20. Derek
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Another pleasannt puzzle from Rufus.

Faves, aside from the four edge jobs, 19a, 22a, 2d & 23d.

21. Gari
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

lovely pleasurable start to the week did it in my tea break at work this morning, then we got a bonus and sent home at dinnertime as we had got all the work done and got paid 8 hrs at double bubble plus a day off in lieu, also had a lovely cruise home on the motorbike. :D.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Thank you Rufus and Libellule. A welcome change to sit in the garden in warm sunshine and the pleasure of doing the crossword. A few more days like this please !

23. Libellule
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

I can also highly recommend Rufus in the Guardian too, have just done that one over a glass of wine on the patio, also in the sun. Just as an FYI, its not a bank holiday in France today, we have to wait until later in the week.

Posted May 6, 2013 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Rufus and Libellule. Agree it was a one star for difficulty, most enjoyable 3* for that. Favourite was 19a, while 23d looked straightforward to me. Gone to Alton today and had a ride on the Watercress Steam Railway. Fantastic weather.

25. neveracrossword
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

Wish people wouldn’t keep rubbing it in about the weather. I played golf in fog and drizzle this am. Apparently at ground level it was OK and my wife was worried I hadn’t taken my sun cream!

• Heno
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Sorry, but that’s why I didn’t go to the Coast for the day. Were you on a links course?

• steve_the_beard
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

How is golf played at anything other than ground level ???

26. pommers
    Posted May 6, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

DT and Grauniad, these must be the two easiest Rufus puzzles he’s ever produced!

Nothing else to say apart from thanks to Rufus..

Posted May 6, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

How nice to hear from you, Pommers. Quite like old times!