DT 27151 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27151 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time to enter the April Prize puzzle.

Could new readers please read the Welcome post and the FAQ before asking questions about the site.

1a Crossing duty makes you strike? (4)
Two definitions – the duty paid for using a crossing, like the Severn bridge, and the strike of a large bell

3a Local supporter right to the end (3)
Start with a female support garment and then move the R(ight) to the end

8a Motors reassembled in northern port (6)
An anagram (reassembled) of MOTORS

9a Better than normal, but not on course! (5,3)
… that’s not on the golf course!

10a Shallow type in corner with old record (4-4)
Put a type or sort inside a corner, say of this grid, and add an old 4-track record

12a Get more outrageous puzzle (8)
If the answer is split ad (2,6) then it means to get more outrageous

21a Miserly girl’s close call (4,4)
An adjective meaning miserly followed by a young girl – if you have the answer but don’t understand the miserly bit, look up the first word in Chambers

23a Animal, carnivore about to be caught by river in Yorkshire (8)
Put a carnivore around (to be caught) a two-letter word meaning about and follow it with a river in Yorkshire (that changes its name into the river in 17 down at Cuddy Shaw Reach!)

27a Bed contains a blanket or fleece (4)
Put a child’s bed around (contains) the A from the clue

1d Roman emperor‘s set of clothes turned up — toga initially needs taking in (5)
Reverse (turned up) a set of clothes and then insert (needs taking) the initial letter of Toga

3d Writers’ block? (7)
A cryptic definition of one of a pair of supports used to keep the work of a writer in an upright position

4d Gather by harbour with men into reorganising, dividing again (15)
A four-letter verb meaning to gather followed by a harbour and an anagram (reorganising) of MEN INTO

7d Old deteriorating watermelon left out (4-5)
An anagram (deteriorating) of WATERME(L)ON without the L(eft)

17d Escorted northwards over river to expel parasites (7)
Reverse (northwards in a down clue) a three-letter verb meaning escorted and follow it with a river in North Yorkshire

19d Finish the sitting (5,2)
… and get out of the chair!

22d Odds on one selling out fish (5)
The two-letter abbreviation for betting odds followed by someone who sells out on his friends

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: (fund} + {emmental} + (tally} = {fundamentally}

1. mary
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Hi Dave, thanks for the hints but haven’t needed them to finish today, but I have quite a few answers I don’t understand! I will look through them again to ‘puzzle’ them out, fav clue today 12a, made me smile :-) , should be watching grandson no 4 playing football, but chickened out, too wet to stand around a muddy field!!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

I have looked up the first word for 21a in Chambers but cant see that synonym?

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

adjective

6. Stingy, parsimonious (informal)

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Must be on a ‘thick’ day, I see that, but don’t see how it means the first word…?

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:52 am | Permalink

miserly = stingy = the first word.- I don’t see the problem

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

No because I must be the problem ;-) , I don’t see how the word I’ve got can be wrong but it must be

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Permalink

I really give up on understanding this

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

What word have you got Mary?

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Don’t ask questions like that!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

e.mail it to me Mary

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I don’t know your email collywobs we don’t publish them on here :-) , you’d have to ask Dave to email me your email if you see what I mean ;-)

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I’m not at all sure what this might achieve anyway.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

No need, I see it now!

• Rabbit Dave
                  Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Mary, in case you are still struggling on this one – in the BRB for the first word the definitions start with the meanings as an adverb. Then a few lines down the definitions are given as an adjective, which is where you will find “stingy”. (BD did put in his first answer “adjective”)

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks RD as I said I must be having a ‘thick’ day! I can only think my first word is wrong but cannot begin to think what else it could be!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

Oh right I see it now! I would never ever have said that it was a synonym for miserly!! Thanks both, don’t like it though :-(

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

You finished the puzzle two weeks ago, so you must have forgotten it since then!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Did I really…just goes to show, I can’t retain information for very long, thanks Dave :-)

• Arthur Dent
          Posted April 13, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

In my (iPhone app) version of Chambers BRB it has:
          8. Thriftily, parsimoniously (archaic)

Archaic! I’ll say!

2. Collywobbles
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Is this a RayT puzzle?

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Don’t think so collywobs :-)

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Good morning Mary. You finished quickly. I’m struggling so resorting to BDs’ hints but trying to do it sparingly

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Hi collywobs, you don’t know what time I started ;-) ! Although I’ve finished without hints, I’m still stuggling to see some of them!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Also without hints doesn’t mean I haven’t used my books and electronic ‘friends’

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Never on a Saturday!

I think it’s Cephas’s turn this week.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I’m struggling, so grateful for your hints

• Brian
      Posted April 13, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

No way, I managed not only to finish it but enjoy it as well! Although I did enjoy a a Ray T once but everyone said it was easy!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Youv’e changed your tune

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

A very gentle but nevertheless enjoyable puzzle today. My only difficulty was self-inflicted by instantly putting in “toe” as a “local supporter” for 3a comprising the last letters (“end”) of right to the. Well I thought it was logical at the time, although, if my version had been correct, I suppose it would have needed to have been “ends”. Fortunately I got 4d without looking at my wrong checking letter and thereafter it was all plain sailing.

Many thanks to the setter and to BD for his hints.

4. Collywobbles
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:46 am | Permalink

BD – there are 2 s’s in *******. should it be ******

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:54 am | Permalink

If I knew what you meant I might be able to answer.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

which clue are you talking about collywobs?

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Right, 8d is given as ******* and I think that it is *****

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Go to the corner Collywobbles straight away – they asked you which clue, not to give away the solution. And you mean 8a anyway.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Is there any cake?

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

I will have to make one!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

Tell me when you have made one, CS, and I will go, not before

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

My mistake!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

No great problems today but overall very enjoyable. Did like 1d, made us both smile as did 12d. Last in was 3d, bit of a DOH! moment. Funny how these 3 letter clues (3a and 26a) are often very tricky.
    Thx to the setter and to BD for the hints but not needed today.

6. Caravaggio
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Another enjoyable Saturday puzzle but, unusually for me, I ended up completing the NW corner of the puzzle last. Despite my Liverpool allegiance, I really hope that [little] Wigan Athletic beat Millwall to reach the FA Cup Final and I’m sure that others will agree with me.

7. Collywobbles
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

I’ve got 5d but can somebody explain how?

Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Look at the two words in your solution – one is the snap’ and the other is the ‘fixed’

Posted April 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks CS, so ‘snap’ = ****?

Posted April 13, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Posted April 13, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Thanks Mary

• Stuart
        Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

5D Is it possible to hint further? just stuck on the N-E corner.
        Would the word begin with the ********?

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Snap, as in photo or picture, followed by fixed, as in placed in position.

Surely there are not many athletic events that fit the (4,3) pattern?

• Stuart
            Posted April 13, 2013 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

B Dave, thanks but Athletics to me? if it does not involve Rifle, Pistol shooting Rugby, Cricket & eating. I am lost !
            But I got there, Just three more to do??

• stanXYZ
          Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

5d – Snap = a picture from a camera? Say no more!

8. Outnumbered
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Fairly standard Saturday difficulty I thought, an enjoyable puzzle **/***

9. Sarah
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the hints BD.
    I can’t see the hint for 26a though :(

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Sarah

I only provide hints for a few of the clues, but feel free to ask for others.

26a Jumper perhaps in receptacle taken back (3)
      To get the garment of which a jumper is an example (perhaps) reverse (taken back) a receptacle

Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

I hope no one makes the mistake I made here and put ‘tin’ !

Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I first thought ‘nit’ might be the jumper!!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

glad its not just me sue :-)

• Captain Lethargy
            Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Me too!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Ditto

Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

ditto

• Sarah
            Posted April 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

… and me.

• Heno
            Posted April 14, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

I had nit too

Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

It’s not the nits that jump!

10. Roger
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward and enjoyable. Not helped by putting in the wrong 3a which meant I was looking for 4d starting with A! And 4A not helped by having ‘below’ in another across clue…the exact opposite of what I should have put in !

I’m with Mary on 21a…think the online Chambers Thesaurus is limited in scope.

11. Roger
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

OK..I have looked up miserly in my paid-up Chambers Thesaurus and the word I have as the first one in 21a begins with an *. Which fits in with the rest of the clue. But I don’t see that word in CT for miserly or stingy. Am I wrong? Does 21 start with an *? But if so then I must have 4d wrong…but I don’t think I have.

Help!

Posted April 13, 2013 at 2:16 pm | Permalink

You are probably right Roger just a word you wouldn’t normally associate with miserly

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

You are right in that it is not in the Thesaurus. It is in the BRB.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

As Dave said above, miserly = stingy and if you look up stingy in Chambers Crossword Dictionary it will give the first word as a synonym, I would never have associated the two personally

Posted April 13, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

No problems today and hints not needed, but I did need the explanation for 23A and the ‘corner’ part of the 10A clue. 3D was my favorite today, but I also liked 3A and 12A. Thanks, Big Dve for the review and thanks to the setter for a nice puzzle.

Off to try the NTSPP now.

13. Adastra
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Up here in Yorkshire this 21A synonym for miserly is often used – as in “E’s that **** e’d cut a currant in ‘alf!” So I didn’t need the Thesaurus.
    I was grateful for hints on a few others though.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that Adastra I was wondering how it could be used in a sentence, it’s never used like that here in Wales, at least I’ve never heard it

Posted April 13, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Brewers has the answer – it is a ‘curious play on the word close (close fisted) because what is close is ….” !! :)

Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

Nor in France

14. Collywobbles
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Finished. Thanks for the hints BD. Once I got a couple of them the rest seemed to fall in to place fairly easily. Thanks to the setter for a good puzzle

Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

Late today but finished now – didn’t need hints but thanks anyway – I always read them, and all the comments, whether or not I need help.
    I was a bit slow with some of these – having looked at them again the ones I had trouble with were some of the more straightforward clues – just having a dim day I think.
    I liked 3 and 12a and 12 and 16d.
    With thanks to Cephas, if BD is right, and to BD.
    Still raining. :sad:
    Going to have a go at gazza’s NTSPP – that’ll give me something to laugh about! :smile:

16. Dawn
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints, I did not need most of the across ones and had already got about three quarters in before I looked :-)

BRB earns it’s keep as does the BRB Thesaurus, I would not get so much done without them to get me started and once I have got some clues I seem to get in the groove.

12a made me chuckle.

Thanks to setter too

• steve_the_beard
      Posted April 13, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

Hi Dawn

Big Dave pointed me at WordWeb Pro, which is expensive but includes both of those and more.

It had to wait until my chillun asked what I wanted for my birthday, but now I have it I wouldn’t be without it :-)

The website is at http://wordweb.info/

17. Shawn
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Am I thick or something? Could the picture in 27 a also be used for 26 a? Or am I being sent to the corner? Really struggled with the NE section but eventually used your help. Lovely clues in that section. Thanks

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

The picture for 27a is a fleece! I hadn’t thought of it being used for 26a.

• Dickiedot
        Posted April 13, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Well if a 27a can’t be described as a 26a I’ll go t’ foot our stairs
        BTW I got nit’s at 26a also

18. Derek
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

Rather straightforward solve this evening!

Had a birthday commemorative lunch for an old friend and former colleague in the Huis ter Duin in Noordwijk – there were five of us – and the weather became very Springlike while we were there!
    The food was excellent.

19. Arthur Dent
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Whenever I do a weekend crossword I always open the hints with trepidations – wondering if the one(s) I need will be included. Often the hints listed are for answers I have already managed.

Today I still needed about half a dozen when I resorted to the hints. Mercifully all the ones I needed and some of the ones I had got but did not understand the wordplay (21a &23a) were included.

All done now. Thanks to the setter (Cephas?) for an enjoyable puzzle and to BD for the (essential) hints.

p.s. I have just signed up for the on-line DT Puzzle site. Until now I had always bought the paper, but I realised I was spending waaay too much on a paper I didn’t read (except the Matt cartoon). Does anyone know – by playing online and clicking the “submit” button – am I entered for the prize draw? I have never, up to now, won anything; but then I suppose that’s hardly surprising as I never sent off my entry…

• Posted April 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid it doesn’t get entered into the draw, but see here:

I believe you can also email your entry, but I’m not sure how you go about it.

• Arthur Dent
        Posted April 13, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Oh – OK. Thanks BD.
        I guess that means I have about the same chance of winning that pen as I had before!…

Posted April 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

In the paper, it szys to scan your filled-in solution and coupon ( Name address and email address form) and send by email to prize.puzzles@telegraph.co.uk with DT27,151 (or the number of the puzzle you are submitting) in the subject line by 9 am on Friday.

I would presume if that you can submit a puzzle you solved on the site rather than in the newspaper, you would have to print off the puzzle , fill in the grid by hand and then try scanning and emailing as with the paper version.

Posted April 13, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

Like you I’d never won anything in my life until, for once, I managed not only to finish one of the monthly prize puzzles but send it in – I was lucky enough to be pulled out of the hat! I felt just like a rabbit! The books are great and the sense of achievement was too even though I knew that lots of other people would also have finished it. The moral here is that you stand a far higher chance of winning with the MPP.

• una
        Posted April 13, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

but only if you are British, or Great British ! And heartiest congratulations !

20. una
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Lovely puzzle ,though I recall the stingy girls (21) losing their concentration (25a) in their shallow (10a) manner .However I am still begging for help with 11a. Please !

Posted April 13, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

11a Follow up returns — sure to get fluctuations (6)
      Just follow the instructions – reverse (returns) up, then make an anagram.

• una
        Posted April 13, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Thank you, we all have our “thick” moments, I suppose.Me more often then others.Thanks to setter and to BG, and yourself, Gazza.

21. andy
    Posted April 13, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

ah, Gazza beat me to it, and explained it better than me which is why I comment and not blogg!

22. Kingsley
    Posted April 14, 2013 at 8:18 am | Permalink

Got it all (without hints!) except for 18a which has me totally baffled! Help, anyone?

23. Kingsley
    Posted April 14, 2013 at 10:33 am | Permalink

OK, it’s Sunday, and no one is looking at this blog today…but anyway, I eventually got it without any further help. Will now send my entry in. The prize offered here, in South Africa, is R200, two hundred rands, roughly equivalent to three shillings and sixpence (That’s a joke, in case you didn’t realise!)

• Posted April 14, 2013 at 10:36 am | Permalink

Sorry i messed your comment – it was posted during the Grand Prix coverage and my computer was switched off. Glad you got there in the end.

24. Sue
    Posted April 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Started yesterday. Completed today. Often the case! Particularly enjoyed 13A.

Posted April 14, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Big Dave for the hints. Enjoyed this one a lot, but was beaten by 12a and 3d, needed the hints for both. Favourites were 8a and 17d. Was 2*/3* for me.

Posted April 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

Finished about 1.00 am this morning listening to the racket from Leopold Sq in Sheffield. No point in trying to sleep, so the puzzle was the answer. 1a and 1d the last in. 1d solved by a half asleep Mrs SW ! Thank you setter and BD for your hints – which I couldn’t access anyway ! If I could, the hotel would have charged £ 8.50 for internet access. Scandalous !

27. margaret
    Posted May 13, 2013 at 10:11 am | Permalink

This puzzle has appeared in the Port Elizabeth South Africa Weekend Post. I managed to work out everything quite easily. Just struggling with 12 across. Be -i-d-r.

Posted May 13, 2013 at 10:18 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Margaret. You can get the answer in the full review of that puzzle which is here.