DT 27127 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27127 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

Today is your last chance to enter the March Prize Puzzle.

1a           Dessert wine delayed rumbling (10)
Another word for a dessert followed by a German wine gives this delayed rumbling which follows an earthquake

10a         Turkish empire rejects man such as Bismarck (4)
Drop (rejects) MAN from a Turkish empire to get the first name of a former Chancellor of the German Empire

13a         What managing directors do in panel for the rest (9)
Split as (4,5)  this is what managing directors do, but it’s actually a panel on a bed

20a         The aforementioned singer is a craftsman (8)
A word meaning the aforementioned followed by an American female singer

24a         English island linked with a US state (4)
The abbreviation of an English island followed by the A from the clue

27a         Italian friend hugging daughter in Aga Saga, for instance (10)
What could mean an Italian friend (3,2,4) around (hugging) D(aughter) gives a name for a word or phrase like Aga Saga

29a         GI is barred for abusing officers (10)
An anagram (for abusing) of GI IS BARRED

1d           A capital orchestra in addition (4)
The A from the clue followed by an orchestra based in the capital of the UK

4d           Seeking a lift after punch on jaw is good (8)
A verb meaning standing at the side of the road  looking for a lift comes from a charade of a punch, another word for the jaw and G(ood)

5d           Start to harmonise in rock-like material for singers (6)
The initial letter of (start to) Harmonise inside a rock-like material

7d           Game to be announced when girl comes around (7)
The abbreviation of To Be Announced inside a girl’s name

8d           American girl’s promise for a blade (10)
An American term for a girl followed by the S from ‘S and a promise

14d         Meddler has drink after plunder (10)
A fortified wine after a word meaning plunder or booty

17d         £2 for new sparkling coin (8)
Put two of the single-letter abbreviations for pound instead of the N(ew) in a word meaning sparkling

19d         Merseyside town has drop of gin illegally produced (7)
A Merseyside town followed by the initial letter (drop) of Gin

21d         Why cow gets confused entering house (3,4)
An anagram (gets confused) of COW inside another word for a house

25d         Untidy place for such as 29 (4)
Two definitions – untidy as a verb and a place where 29 acrosses might dine – it looks like place is doing double duty here, which is why I have indicated that the first definition should be taken as a verb, but it doesn’t work for me

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: top row (molar} + {toff} + bottom row (cock) + {tales} = {Molotov cocktails}

Posted March 16, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable if a little tricky at the bottom. Loved 27a but it was almost the last in.
    Many Thx to Setter and of course for the hints even on days like these when I somehow managed without them. Sorry also Thx to Mrs B who helps on a Saturday and who is a whiz at anagrams.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Buy her her own paper – or if you have a printer like ours, make a photocopy for her.

• Brian
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Not likely, I need all the help i can get:-)

• Tantalus
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Buy the Mrs her own paper? You have to be kidding or must have a very kind spouse. (for me and I assume many of the alpha male population is her paper).

Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

True – the paper is MY paper but I do let him do the number puzzles if he is very good. He’s also quite disappointed in that I only left him one clue in the big GK puzzle today. Still it does mean he has no excuse but to get on with that which he ought to be doing.

• Patsyann
            Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I would hate having to share my crossword with anyone else! My son-in-law once filled in some answers on a temporarily abandoned crossword. He knows if he ever does it again he’s out of the will. I occasionally ask my husband for help with those dratted cricket terms.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

I’m very possessive about the crossword too. Husband can’t do them at all so I’m safe there.

• Annidrum
      Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

I ,too, am very possessive about the crossword & get really annoyed if my husband butts in and will only let him help if I’m. really really stuck. But that’s because he’s so much better at doing them than I am !

2. graham
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Thought this was a tad easy for a prize puzzle,no real problems and really liked 27A & 22D last in was 20A.thanks to BD for the review no help needed today.The rain has stopped & the sun has popped out hope the rugby goes well for the boys.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

After a difficult week negotiating snow drifts in northern France without the compensation of my daily DT crossword, I am very pleased to be back in Blighty (even with the rain today!) and able to get back into them! I felt surprisingly rusty after only few days off and it took me a while to get back into the groove. However once I got started I managed today’s puzzle without any help, and I would give it a */*** rating. Like Brian, I thought 27a was brilliant.

Many thanks to BD and to the setter.

4. Little Dave
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Done very early at an M1 service station heading north in the rain. 27a was my favourite by far.

5. Colmce
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

Like guided tour of Kew, lead up a few garden paths.

Enjoyed the puzzle, after I’d settled down.

Thanks for the review, not needed today.

Thanks to setter for brightening a grim grey day in Kent.

6. Mike in Amble
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

A really enjoyable Saturday puzzle. Too many favourites to pick one out. Thanks setter and BD

7. Colmce
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

On IPad clue 17d reads…?2 for new, this slowed me down a bit.

8. Poppy
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Delighted to see the hints so nice and early, BD – thank you very much – really appreciate all your labours… :-) I’d be most grateful for some help with the last one I have to go in 27a. I have all the checking letters, but just can see it. Probably a real d’oh is due. Thanks to setter also.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

BD has given a hint for 27a. It is a bit of a d’oh.

• Poppy
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Thanks, CS – I should have added that I’m still being thick even after reading BD’s hint…. Perhaps a strong coffee will clear the cobwebs

• Only fools
          Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Yes a reviver might help !

Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Another example of this answer Poppy if I’m allowed to say? would be Madam I’m Adam

• Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:51 am | Permalink

it;s a “definition by example” and I see no harm in other examples, although the one above yours is really subtle!

Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Whew, thank goodness, no TV in the naughty corner, agree about the one above :-)

• Poppy
              Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

Got there ! In Mr P’s Scouse “Worra Divvy” :oops: !Thank you all for such courteous help to such an idiot. And now I see it, I laughed aloud at BD’s hint – superb!

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

‘Worra Divvy’ ? Or am I being dim AGAIN?

• Poppy
                  Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Being translated from Liverpool ‘scouse’ into English as “What an idiot”! And no, Kath, you’re not being dim in the slightest. I only got my Scouse Passport presentation after many years of marriage to one! (Person, not passport, that is.)

Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the translation – I think I’m quite glad that I don’t live up there – would need to do a language course!

Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Very useful for a clue in NTSPP today, so thanks! :smile:

• Tantalus
                  Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

In Guildford: “what a silly chap” , in East London “wadda plonker”, in Belfast “eejit”. In Scouseland “worra divvy”.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

we say worra div too :-)

• Poppy
                      Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

So I’d be right at home in Belfast, Wales, East London or, at a pinch, even Guildford :-D

Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

another example… no melon, no lemon

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

‘Aibophobia’ is apparently a ‘joke’ word used for the fear of 27a!

• Poppy
                Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Love it :-)

• Poppy
              Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Mary, for those two examples. I can’t believe how slow I was to get it! Hope you enjoy the match. I’m (whispering) following F.1 …. :-)

9. Only fools
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Very enjoyable only delay iPad version has ? Rather than £ for 17 d .
    Thanks very much .
    27a fave .

10. NJM
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Not too difficult, but I did find the SE corner a bit of a holdup, until the pennies dropped for 17d, 21d, 27a and 22d in that order.
    27a favorite clue, puzzle **/**** for me.
    Thanks to setter and BD, though I didn’t need any prompts for once!

11. mary
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:53 am | Permalink

Must be me then Dave, I found this one quite tricky today and didn’t know that ‘spare’ in 12a meant that! fav clues 27a, 15a 26a, thanks for the hints Dave, needed one or two of them, getting ready to make cowl now, to enjoy during ‘THE MATCH’,
    once again, may the best team win, hwyl all :-)

• Caravaggio
      Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I notice that you’ve not made any prediction about the result, Mary, and I think that you’re very wise as I’ve heard on 5 Live this morning that the bookmakers are merely offering ‘evens’. As far as the crossword was concerned, I too was grateful for one of Dave’s hints and didn’t find this puzzle as easy as some of the others have implied.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

No can’t call this one Cara but can always hope :-)

Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Yeeeeeee…es!

• axe
      Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary, Thanks for showing humility to the other side.

We also will be generous and give the French the wooden spoon.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

:-)

Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

And we were singing, hymns and arias…

12. Sheepdog
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Last weekend and the early part of this week I visited the Aged P where there is no computer conection and so had to rely on my own brain and yet I managed to complete the crosswords.
    Today, because I know help is at hand my mind went blank and I needed help, so thanks for that.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Amazing what our brains can do when they have to Sheepdog

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Wasn’t quite sure that I even had a brain yesterday – I’d never have done that one on my own. Enjoy ‘your’ match this afternoon. :smile:

• Shawn
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

I must have lost millions of brain cells this week. Needed the clues today….a real dunce.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Yes, I agree with you about always (well, almost always) being able to do the crosswords when no help is available. When we go to France I don’t even have a dictionary, let alone access to BD’s great blog, and usually manage to finish them, even with the somewhat doubtful ‘help’ from my French sister-in-law!

• Sheepdog
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I must admit, I did have my crossword solver, luckily it wasn’t just my head!

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Thank you setter – really enjoyed this one. Thank you also BD for your hints. I finished without them but needed to look at 7d and 17d – fortunately you had given hints for them. I had the answers but must confess to struggling to know why !

All Quiet On The Western Front today ! until 5.00 pm !

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Permalink

Oh dear – it looks as if I’m the only mug who can’t do 22d – can’t even work out what the definition is. A bit of help would be really appreciated.
    I enjoyed this and thought that it was a good mix of clues – some straightforward and a few rather trickier ones.
    There were some that I had to think about even though it was pretty clear what the answer was – particularly 17d.
    I liked lots – 16, 27 and 28a and 3, 4, (something we used to do all the time and seems to be coming back) 8, 11 and 21d. I also liked 23a as a clue even though I don’t care much for the idea!!
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD, and in advance to anyone who can bail me out with 22d.
    Torrential rain earlier on but seems to have stopped for the moment. I hope you all enjoy watching people rolling around in the mud this afternoon – I’m going to have a go at NTSPP.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

22d you need to know the name of the Russian space station and then put a Welshman’s name inside to get a word meaning in the sky.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue – will just go away and have a little think about that one.
        No I won’t – just had a gnoment – thought it had to be THAT welshman but couldn’t get any further – space stations of any nationality are not one of my specialities!

• Brian
          Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Think about what happens when two planes collide (probably sent to the Naughty Corner for this)

• Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

That’s even more cryptic than the clue!

For future reference, if a hint starts with the word “think” then it is probably an alternative clue and should be avoided.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Do you mean that it IS an alternative clue? I thought it was quite helpful and had I not already got the answer I would have done instantly from Brian’s hint – it would just have made me think along different lines.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Thanks Brian – assuming you’re still here and not sitting in the naughty corner waiting for someone to come and keep you company.

• Tantalus
            Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

Didnt know that there were any Welsh Astronauts? And… It Looks like BD has implemented some auto cybernaughty corner censorship. So now if a post has the answer in it, it gets blocked.

• Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

You entered more-or-less the same comment three times and i deleted two of them – hardly censorship.

• Tantalus
                Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

My apols…. i kept getting a publish failed message from my iPod touch when I tried to enter a Liverpudlian equivalent so I assumed some Orwellian filtering. Anyway, as always – thanks for the hints and banter. And to Mrs T for letting me look at her copy.

• Hrothgar
          Posted March 16, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I had a problem with this clue, my last in, as I thought my first stab at it was a hyphenated word.
          Correct, though, apparently it’s not a hyphenated word.

• Posted March 16, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

It depends on which dictionary you use!

15. spindrift
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

Right , that’s out of the way. Most enjoyable as usual. Thanks to Cepheus & to BD for the hints

Beers are lined up, my lads are comhg around to watch Eng Wales & Ms S is making us all a curry for afterwards.Bliss!

Here’s one for BD from another organ:
    “Out of date team with sudden changes?” (4,3,6)

Posted March 16, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

It is a Mysteron not a Cephas

• Brian
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

How come you always seem to know the identity of the setter, do you have an inside line?

16. Dinosaur Pete
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Done it ! As always thanks to BD without whose help I wouldn’t have !
    Would be grateful if someone could why sandwiches are involved in 11d – I’ve got the answer but don’t fully understand it.

Finally, I’ll be thinking of you at 5.00 p.m. Mary ! May the best team win and it be a running rather than kicking match.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Permalink

11d – the ‘despatched’ is sandwiched between the sailor and the took care of.

• Dinosaur Pete
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue, one of those Dohh moments !!
        I can concentrate on the rugby properly now !

Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

I’m probably the only person who isn’t watching the rugby!

Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

No you’re not . . .

Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Some of us can multi-task. :D

Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Some of us are multi-tasking so much already that we don’t have time to fit the rugby in :)

• gnomethang
                Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Some of us wished we had never watched the Rugby. Well Done Wales – Shame they didn’t have anyone to play against.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

And some of us are so glad we did :-)

• Annidrum
            Posted March 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

My husband is multi-tasking in the kitchen ,watching the rugby and preparing tonight’s dinner,but I suspect he’s preparing the dinner just now so that he can keep both eyes on the Scotland/ France game later.

17. John
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Hi everyone,

Having been lurking here for some time, thought I should say hello.

Everyone’s help is greatly appreciated (and I’m glad it’s not just me who misses the obvious!)

Even managed to complete today’s without hints (rare event!).

Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

Welcome John – we do like it when a lurker joins us. Hope we will see more of you from now on. In a strange sort of way ‘Missing the obvious’ is part of the ‘fun’ (??) of solving cryptic crosswords .

• John
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks Sue, I’ll be sticking around (I need the help…)

• Poppy
      Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Hello John – good you’ve De-lurked yourself! I lurked for over a year before I plucked up my commenting courage, and really regretted I hadn’t joined in so much sooner. And I’ve received bags of very kind and patient help that appears to be totally unstinting… :-) so you’re very welcome from a fellow struggler or even straggler

• John
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Thanks Poppy, in my case the best description is probably a struggling straggler!

• Poppy
          Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

:-)

18. Rufus the Dog
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Not too taxing today – liked 15a & 27a

19. Rufus the Dog
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Oh… and dumb question time/faq – this coupon they mention to accompany an emailed scanned version of the crossword – que?

TIA

Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

I think it means you have to fill in your name and address in the appropriate place under the grid before you scan it.

20. Luapsnoki
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

Is there a missing ‘ in the clue?

21. Luapsnoki
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

Apologies, resend: Is there a missing ‘ in the clue 5d?

Posted March 16, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Don’t think so.

• Luapsnoki
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Singer’s ?

• Luapsnoki
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Or, operhaps, singers’? But can’t see hoe “singers” fits :(
        Otherwise great fun :)

• Posted March 16, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

The online clue is as I have given it above.

• suburban solver
            Posted March 17, 2013 at 9:12 am | Permalink

It means ‘for singers’ rather than ‘singers’ so no missing apostrophe. :-)

• Posted March 17, 2013 at 9:39 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog suburban solver

• suburban solver
                Posted March 17, 2013 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Thanks :-D

22. Rosie G
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable today, thanks to setter and BD. Some lovely clues, liked 23a,27a and when I eventually got it 28a. Bit slow there. Anyway finished in time for the Wales England match

23. Annidrum
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed that today but can’t believe how long it took me to get 27a ,even after seeing BD’s hint!!! Favourites 1a,8d, & 11d. Thanks to Mr Ron and BD for the hints.

24. Dawn
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Thanks as ever to BD for the hints and blog and to setter too.

Loved 4d but still haven’t got 2d, a nudge to put me out of my misery pretty please?

This was a puzzle of two halves for me, SW corner went in easily and then the rest took some considerable effort.

Thanks too, to CS for your explanation of 11d, I too, didn’t understand the sandwiches bit but now clear. Neither have I been watching the rugby but I shall be watching the F1 qualifying later :-)

Posted March 16, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

2d the definition is an informal conference – insert a word meaning ‘every individual’ into a metallic element.

• Dawn
        Posted March 16, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Thank you!

• Poppy
      Posted March 16, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Glad I’m not the only one planning to watch F.1. . . Boo hoo about the rain :-(

Posted March 16, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks to setter for today’s pleasant puzzle, and to BD for the hints.
    The surface of 19d made me smile at the implied litotes of only a ‘drop’ of gin illegally produced in a Merseyside town !

26. gazza
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Wales rampant (30) – England demolished (3). Brilliant performance by Wales. I’m so pleased for Rob Howley who’s had a lot of criticism.

• gnomethang
      Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I can only agree – as someone who wanted the Grand Slam.

Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

I agree gazza he was slated at the beginning of the season, the boys done good! :-)

Posted March 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm | Permalink

Apparently the best score ever for Wales v England inCardiff ??

27. Derek
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

A good Saturday solve.

Clues that I liked were : 1a, 13a, 20a, 26a, 27a, 3d, 8d, 17d, 22d & 25d.
    23a & 21d were laughs!

Today it is beginning to look as if Spring is on its way – I’ll say no more just in case!

28. laney
    Posted March 16, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Loved todays puzzle which I could only look at after some baby sitting for my smallest grandson. Miraculously finished it with only a small amount of help from BD. Was grateful to the comments which clarified the answers I’d managed to work out…..especially11d. Also belated thanks to Cryptisue for help a couple of weeks ago. As always thanks to the setter.

29. Wendy Ramsell
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I joined Dave,s site to get help with 27across. marvellous clue and hints from Dave.
    I felt that warm glow of ‘eureka’ and a surge of adrenalin although I had had help! that was my last one in except for 22down which I had thought was something more difficult.
    Wendy

• Posted March 17, 2013 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Wendy

Let’s hope you stay here!

30. Kingsley
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Had a busy day yesterday – we in the Southern Hemisphere have a rugby competition called the Super Fifteen, between five Australian, five New Zealand and five South African sides – so I was “busy” watching rugby for most of yesterday, and only got to the crossword when I went to bed. Rather pleased with myself for finishing it without any help from BD’s hints. although I do want someone to explain 18a to me. I got the answer but the logic escapes me.
    Like everyone else, I enjoyed 23a and 27a. Didn’t understand BD’s problem with the clue in 25d – a **** (my censoring!) is surely “an untidy place”?
    Oh, and congratulations to Wales! A bad weekend for us SA rugby fans: Of the three SA teams who had fixtures this weekend, only one (Free State Cheetahs) won and two (Sharks and Bulls) lost.

• Posted March 17, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

I was unhappy with 25d because if the first definition is “an untidy place” this leaves the second as “for such as 29” rather than “place for such as 29”. It only works that way if the word place is doing double duty.