Hints and tips by Tantalus (and Mrs T)

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

I received, in the middle of the night UK time, the following email from Tantalus.

“Finally we decided to do the crossword at night so that we could contribute to the hints – hope that you can publish as a small token of our thanks for the entertainment over the years. Mr & Mrs Tantalus, Boston.”

Our first opportunity to contribute, with a little humor (American humour). Snowy here in Boston, but at 34F it is thawing fast, normally temps are around 10F. Two stars twice it seems – some simple, some subtle. Favorites were 15 across and 16 down.”

1a    A chart devised about origin of rheumatic cold (7)
{CATARRH} Nagrama (devised) of A CHART about R (origin of rheumatic). Clever reuse of rheumatic.

5a    People out  for traditional breakfast fare (7)
{KIPPERS} Double definition: Folk being out for the count or sleeping.

7u Old joke from Peter Williamson of Pangbourne (8)
{LEMONADE} Seven up is lemonade.

9a    Regular pair of educational settings? (7)
{UNIFORM} Take two educational settings, one higher (3) and one classroom (4) and add them together.

10a    Botanist’s first walk for pleasure to get prickly plant (7)
{BRAMBLE} Take a B (Botanist’s first) and a walk in the country (again and again) to get thorny bush.

11a    Titled figure heard with driver, say, in place of entertainment (9)
{NIGHTCLUB} Sounds like a person with a title, with a driver of the niblick variety.

12a    Old US VP taking in grand valley (5)
{GORGE} – Clinton’s VP around G(rand) [BD]

13a    Section in highly prestigious battle site (5)
{YPRES} – hidden (section) inside the clue [BD]

15a    A house study? (9)
{ASTROLOGY} The study of signs. My favorite (favourite).

17a    A padre is troubled about proceeds initially getting to vanish (9)
{DISAPPEAR} graneram 2(troubled) of A PADRE IS around P (Proceeds initially).

19a    Model in studio maybe creating difficulty (5)
{POSER} – a double definition [BD]

22a    Cease working in part of theatre (5)
{STALL} – another double definition [BD]

23a    Person touring university with revolutionary French composer in street (9)
{BOULEVARD} Take a person (3) around U with a reversed French composer (5) to make a name for a (French) street.

25a    Supplier of joint and bar associated with singer (7)
{BUTCHER} Another word for bar or except (3), with long nosed American female singer (not Barbara)

26a    Force one’s way into ground ruined around rear of district (7)
{INTRUDE} – an anagram (ground) of RUINED around the final letter (rear) of district
[BD]

27a    Where one might raise small issue? (7)
{NURSERY} – a cryptic definition of a school for small children [BD]

28a    Set aside weapon carried by English vessel (7)
{EARMARK} – a weapon inside (carried by) E(nglish) and Noah’s vessel [BD]

1d    Relish small dwelling, mostly new, found in county borders (7)
{CHUTNEY} Inside CY (CountY borders) place a small shed with most of NEw for a pickled dressing.

2d    Activate theatre’s opening with theatrical employee (7)
{TRIGGER} The guy that pulls the ropes and booms at the theatre preceded by T (theater’s opening).

3d    Place to sit retained by hero ostentatiously (5)
{ROOST} The plans were hidden in the clue.

4d    Smell I may associate with dog reared close to home? Shame (9)
{HUMILIATE} Three letter word for smell (as in very pungent cheese), with I, a dog’s rear a verb meaning to dog reversed (reared) and the final letter (close) to homE.

5d    King getting dish brought up, a meat dish (5)
{KEBAB} Reverse a dish (as in one of BD’s hot girls) preceded by chess abbreviation for king.

6d    Quiet song by band for a toddlers’ institution (9)
{PLAYGROUP} Musical abbreviation for quiet with a song (3) and a musical band (5) for kindergarten like session (Webster).

7d    Doctor interrupting faculty activity getting ban (7)
{EMBARGO} insert abbr for doctor into faculty (senses)…. Didn’t like this one! Could it be an anagarm (doctor) a 5 letter word for interrupt with a… no! [A doctor inside a faculty of the body and activity or energy BD]

8d    Maybe, flat screen should be shifted by yard (7)
{SCENERY} – a flat is something slid or lowered onto the theatre stage – an anagram (shifted) of SCREEN followed by Y(ard) [BD]

14d    Tomb left in university church defended by doddery peers (9)
{SEPULCHRE} Put the letter L (left) in abbr for University and Church and surround with gramana of PEERS.

16d    Our quest when relaxing around island to find shade (9)
{TURQUOISE} Gramaan of OUR QUEST around I(sland) to get a chromatic shade.

17d    Bits strewn inside brown household receptacle (7)
{DUSTBIN} The letters of BITS inside a 3 letter word for brown to make a trash holder (according to Webster).

18d    Broadcast namely by striking figure with book coming out (7)
{SCATTER} Take someone who strikes something (like Babe Ruth), remove the B (book coming out) and place after abbr for “to wit” (namely)

20d    Utensil plus a tag not good for ordering (7)
{SPATULA} Mrs T’s fav: Nargama (ordering) of PLUS A TAG but without the G (good)

21d    Hillbilly concerned with dress around North (7)
{REDNECK} Two letter abbr for concerning with a synonym for dress (as in holly in the hall) all around N (north).

23d    Fruit in NW town picked up (5)
{BERRY} Champion Lad! A town ‘up North’ (near but west of tilsit) that sounds like (picked up) a fruit.

24d    Record time kept by upcoming Frenchman (5)
{ENTER} – T(ime) inside the reversal (upcoming) of a Frenchman like M Artois in ‘Allo ‘Allo! [BD]

Mr & Mrs T provided 22½ of the answers and I have added the rest. I hope you enjoyed their contributions. Pommers should be back in this slot soon.  BD

The Quick crossword pun: {mass} + {cur} + {aid} = {masquerade}

1. Miffypops
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Not helped by putting Geneology for 15ac. Soon put right though. Can’t think why a simple construct/charade at 28ac took me so long. Nice puzzle

Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Took me slightly longer than 2* back page – I blame a combination of Mr CS’s breakfast chatter and left eye fog. Fairly average entertainment but then that is usual for a non Ray T Thursday. Thanks to the Mysteron, the Tantali and BD – I ‘see’ the joke now!!

The Toughie takes a tiny tiny smidge longer than this to solve but I found it most entertaining.

• jezza
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

I agree – the toughie is very entertaining!

• Kevmcc
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I enjoyed the outer Toughie clues, although I originally thought I was going to have to google the Jabberwocky or Edward Lear.

3. Kevmcc
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I thought the 4d answer included a synonym of ‘to follow’ or ‘to dog’ and then reversed, as opposed a dog’s rear end…if you get what I mean. But, thanks to Mr and Mrs T for some amusing hints!

• Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I think you are right, otherwise rear is doing double duty.

• Tantalus
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Agreed, we couldn’t figure out what “associated with dog” meant but the penny has now dropped. (And thx for publishing our contribution – Mrs T and I are most grateful).

4. Kevmcc
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:32 am | Permalink

I still don’t really get the answer for 15a. I guessed it was either that or Astronomy, but couldn’t work out either.

• Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Astrology is the study of The Twelve Houses of the Zodiac.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

The 12 divisions of the zodiac are known as houses. If you like I can sing you the song from the musical Hair about Aquarius – Mr CS wasn’t impressed!

• Kevmcc
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Wasn’t aware they were called houses. Us Sagittarians don’t believe in such nonsense.

And CS, thanks but no thanks (for help with clue and offer to sing respectively).

• Poppy
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Enjoyed this. Although living with a (published) writer, I went straight (if in rather a twisted way) to the word ‘anthology’ for 15a! The true solution never occurred to me until I read CS’s offer…. So many thanks to the setter, to the Tantali, as well as to CS (& so pleased you’re getting on so well – hope the Vaseline vision soon clears). Feel free to sing :-)

• skempie
          Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Must admit that Anthology was my first thought too. Changed my mind as I started writing it in

• mary
          Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Hi Poppy went to see ‘Quartet’ yesterday, we really enjoyed it :-)

• Poppy
            Posted January 17, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Oh I’m so glad, Mary. I only found out yesterday that the house in the film (which is near my brother & sister-in-law) actually is a retirement home for former artistes! I’m booking myself in for time to come!! :-D

• mary
              Posted January 19, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Think I’ll come too, it looked a beautiful place

Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Super puzzle today for me. Best clue as far as I was concerned was 5d. Many thx to the setter for restoring my confidence a little after yesterday’s failure. Very well written hints but I didn’t need them today.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Thank you setter and Mr & Mrs T. for the review. A very enjoyable puzzle. Last in was 15a. My brand new BRB gave me the heavenly houses.

7. Beaver
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Straightforward today my score*/***, must have been on the wavelength,favourites 15a and 23a,hope tomorrows is a bit more challanging as apparently i’m going to be snowed in!

8. Patsy Ann
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

A good puzzle – some easy some amusing and some challenging. But although I had the answer an have read the hints, I stilll can’t get 18d.

• Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Scilicet, the Latin for to wit or namely, can be abbreviated to scil. sciz. or sc.

• Doodah
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Oh that is interesting! That’s what I love about this site – you learn so much. Or maybe it’s just I don.’t know so much. Either way very enjoyable so thanks to all.

• Patsy Ann
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Thanks BD – My grammar school education in the 1950’s didn’t include latin.

• mary
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Mine did but I didn’t know that

• Wayne
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I’m glad that someone has explained that, I was just about to post seeking an explanation, like a few others I have never heard of ‘sc’, so thanx for the explanation BD.

9. Miffypops
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

A nice puzzle today. Got held up by putting Geneology at 15ac. I cannot think why such a simple construct/charade as 28 ac took me so long. Once it was in the south east corner crumbled beneath my pen. Job done.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I don’t think that this was as difficult as I thought it was while I was doing it, if that makes any sense at all – blame the frozen brain! A bit less than 3* for difficulty and nearer 4* for enjoyment, I thought.
    I missed the double use of ‘rheumatic’ in 1a and made 16d tricky by reading the second word of the clue for 16d as ‘guest’ rather than ‘quest’ – should have gone to specsavers! Love their collie adverts.
    Lots of good clues – 5 and 15a and 5, 8, 16 (eventually) and 23d.
    With thanks to Mr Ron, Mr and Mrs T, and BD.
    Still very cold – only just above freezing here. Chilblain on thumb. :sad:

11. skempie
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today, seemed to go in as puzzles should – get one, use that to solve the next. etc. I thought 16D was a wonderful anagram but I must admit that I struggled trying to remember who to spell 1A – reminds me of a letter I wrote home when I was at boarding school which caused my parents to ring up to check that I wasn’t being bullied by having a guitar rammed up my nose.

• Tantalus
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Was the school in Qatar???

• Tantalus
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

There once was a school in Qatar
        Had a student with such bad catarrh
        He wrote to his parents
        with such spelling indifference
        They thought he’d inhaled a guitar

12. Colmce
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

Another day I found more difficult than I should have done, took ages and was still unsure of some of the word play when I eventually completed the grid. Not helped by missing a couple of anagram indicators.

Many thanks to the Tantali and BD for the review, definitely needed for wordplay explanations.

Thanks to setter for a bit of a tester.

13. The Tantali
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Thank you all for your kind words. And now I have my very own avatar so I can participate even after I have poisoned Mr T.

Thanks
    The Tantali (nee Mrs T)

14. Big Boab
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter for a very enjoyable crossword and to Tantalus + for an entertaining review.

15. Roger
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

What a great crossword with some really elegant clues. Favourite 5 and 8. Thanks for the hint on 18d which I had wrong (starter)

16. Hrothgar
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Hands up those who put, initially, geneology.
    There, almost everybody.
    Funny that, when the correct spelling is genealogy.
    But even spelt correctly, still the wrong answer.
    All good clean fun’
    Thanks setter and Tantalus.

• Hrothgar
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Apologies.
      Tantali, I mean.

17. clisco
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

It would have been helpful to put “vice president” in 12a as few people in UK would be familiar with the abbreviation VP.

• Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Perhaps “some people”, but “few people”?

• Hrothgar
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Just realized I read that as VIP then got the correct person.
        Just shows what the brain wants to think.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

I did too – that makes it twice today that I’ve mis-read something. It really IS time I had my eyes tested.

• Poppy
            Posted January 17, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

Until you mentioned it, I hadn’t realised I’d made the same mistake – & I had my eyes tested last week!

• Hrothgar
              Posted January 17, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

…and we all got the right answer.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Eventually, yes!

18. mary
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

afternoon Dave, thanks for hints, needed a couple to help me out, had to do this in two halves today, but still couldn’t complete it, I must be having a really thick day because I still don’t understand 7d?surely ‘ear’ isn’t ‘faculty’? I found the left hand side fairly easy but struggled with some of the right side, belated welcome back to sue, it sounds a pretty nasty ordeal, I hope it has worked for you, I have never heard of that procedure before.

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary.

One definition of “ear” is “an ability to recognize and appreciate sounds”, as in having an ear for music. So, that’s an aptitude, and therefore faculty :-)

• mary
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks Stb

19. mary
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Are the variations of anagram intentional today Dave?

• Steve_the_beard
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

I think that was Tantali’s humour…

• Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I think that was one of the things they meant by “with a little humor (American humour)”. As was the phantom 7 up clue.

• skempie
          Posted January 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I once bought a CD containing recipes for cocktails, one of these cocktails was for Shandy – ‘One half measure of beer, one half measure of 7up, very popular with teenagers in the UK. Do not be surprised if the barkeep refers to 7up as Lemonade’

Barkeep?

• mary
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

I really am ‘thick’ today, not even realising Tantali set the blog! So thanks to them :-)

Posted January 17, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to The Tantali making their debut. Found this quite a nice puzzle with a few tricky clues. The only difficulties were self inflicted by not spelling 14d correctly, last in was 27a. Favourites were 9a &8d. Was 2*/3* for me. Nice morning in Central London, but four inches of snow forecast for tomorrow afternoon.

21. Annidrum
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I really liked this today. Although I saw the anagram in 16d I couldn’t work it out.D’OH!!
    & that left me struggling with 23a. Nice puzzle though. Thanks to Tantali for the hints & thanks also to the setter.

22. Annidrum
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I really liked this today. Although I saw that 16d was an anagram of our quest and I, I just couldn’t see it. Stupid old brain!!! That left me struggling with 23a. Nice puzzle though & thanks to setter & Tantali for the hints.

23. Franco
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Very enjoyable puzzle today from Mr Ron.

Thanks, also to Tantalus – Blimey, you’re in the Big Red Book!

Hope you will not be punished too severely for revealing so many secrets!

• The Tantali
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

He will be punished! I am putting yew berries in his cereal.
      Mrs T

24. Derek
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

An entertaining puzzle today indeed!

My faves : 5a, 15a, 23a, 6d, 16d & 18d.

Here in NL it is very cold indeed.

I was interested to learn that The Tantali live in Boston MA as does my son.

He has just sent me a magnificent basket of fruit for my verjaardag tomorrow – it came from Haarlem NL (not Harlem NY).

Tomorrow I go out for dinner with my son-in-law, daughter and their twins to celebrate reaching my 90th year!

• Poppy
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

Congratulations, Derek! I feel a bit like the little girl who, having just learned about the date lines & countries being ahead or behind our own time in the UK, told me that she was frightened the world might come to an end and so she had worked out that if she managed to find the tel. no. of someone living in Australia, she could telephone them each day in order to reassure herself that her day would safely continue…. (I don’t think she ever told her parents – she was around 6 years old – who wouldn’t have been thrilled for their phone bill if she’d ever managed that!). But I wanted to ask the rather silly question of ‘what’s it like having reached 90? Happy Birthday anyway :-)

• Derek
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Hi Poppy!
        Tomorrow I shall be 89 thus entering my 90th. year!

I suppose I am a lucky one as I am mentally very fit but physically not quite as good as I was say 10 years ago.

One soldiers on to the end of the road!

My mother-in-law once said “old age is dreadful – don’t do it ” but I did and while I appreciate what she meant we are all different so life goes on!

I am still able to walk round the block to the local supermarket and the nearby shopping street for all the basics.

One has always to keep cheerful!

Greetings.

• Poppy
          Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:38 pm | Permalink

What a lovely response, Derek – thank you so much. And I appreciated your thoughts. I’ve liked the description “old age isn’t for wimps’, and that seems to resonate with your soldiering on (especially as I come from a long line of military men) … So very warmest of best wishes to you for an especially happy day tomorrow – and that basket of fruit sounds delicious!

• una
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

I think 90 is a lovely age,all the nonagenarians I know are so serene and relaxed. It sounds like a lovely celebration.Have fun !

• Derek
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks Una!

Posted January 17, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Sorry Una – I hate to disagree but my mother is 90 and neither serene nor relaxed. She nags me rather a lot! :sad:
        Derek sounds a completely different ‘kettle of fish’ which I’m sure, if he were still alive, my Dad would be. Happy birthday to you, Derek.
        Derek was also my Dad’s first name but, because his surname was Andrew, he was always called Andy.

• una
          Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

My mum is 87 and serene when she isn’t fretting. I was thinking more about the nonagenarians I meet socially, I guess they all successful men with resources. I expect their families might see another side, but that’s o.k. because I guess I am different with my family than with acquentences.I think being religious also helps, especially when you are old. In my case, my mother was always the sharpest knife in the canteen of cutlery and the edge being taken of is quite a relief.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

I’ll think about all that . . . I do sometimes wish that the edge of being the sharpest knife in the box could be taken off Mum. It would make her life, not to mention mine, a bit easier.

• una
              Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

i’d like to talk more but i don’t think this is the forum, I havn’t a clue how msn works but I’ll give it a try on saturday night .Remember everything is for the best !

• Sweet William
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday tomorrow Derek. Have a lovely day with your family.

• Derek
        Posted January 18, 2013 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Thank you SW – I missed your comment yesterday!

25. Only fools
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

My only difficulties were 15a which I nearly inserted anthology but realised the parsing was at best tenuous and more likely non existent before the cent dropped and 18d where like most knew the answer from the first word but was not aware of the abbreviation of the abbreviation !
    Great effort from Mr and Mrs T , thanks. (Not sure about the limerick though)
    Happy 89th tomorrow Derek .

• Derek
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Grazie Lei!

• Only fools
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Permalink

Prego

26. una
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

Thanks to setter for a good workout, and to Tantali .Misspelling and lack of latin proving to be a handicap.Still don’t get 18d, despite all the hints.Is earmark really a synomyn for set aside ? liked nearly all the clues.Still a*** star.

• Franco
      Posted January 17, 2013 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Una,

Chambers: Earmark: vt to set aside or intend for a particular purpose; to put an earmark on.

• una
        Posted January 17, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Which chambers is that because I’ve got to get myself one.Had a quick look at the toughie and quailled.I looked at the solutions, and was amazed that clues could be constructed like that! Amazing. So not a bhurtum.

Posted January 17, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Franco means ‘The Chamber’s Dictionary’. It’s usually referred to here as BRB because it’s a Big Red Book. In theory all the answers in a crossword are in it.

• una
            Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

I have the chambers twentieth centuary dictionary,just an ordinary dictionary and published 30 years ago or more. Is there another dictionary for crosswords solvers ?

• Franco
              Posted January 17, 2013 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

The latest edition of Chambers is the 12th Edition! Be careful – it is very heavy!

(“In more words than one” – what does that mean?)

• una
                Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

mine has the 1978 supplement. Do I need to buy a newer one ?

27. Little Dave
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Lots of comments today! All done after a long day at work. No great challenges. No snow yet!

28. gnomethang
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks to Mr and Mrs T for providing 22.5 of the hints, BD for the remainder and the setter for the puzzle. I just had a couple at the end that held me up briefly – pretty straightforward but good fun.

29. andy
    Posted January 17, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

Derek, my limited knowledge of wine has been hugely enlarged thanks to your comments, and what food to match . Best wishes on your Birthday and to your family, Andy

• Derek
      Posted January 18, 2013 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Thank you Andy – I missed your comment yesterday!

My late wife and I met in Geneva so we got to know about Swiss wines and the neighbouring region of Burgundy very thoroughly.

Later we lived in France so added knowledge of other areas.

We travelled widely on the planet and visited many other wine areas.