DT 27073 (Hints)

Daily Telegraph Cryptic No 27073 (Hints)

Big Dave’s Crossword Club

There’s still time have a go at our January Prize crossword.

1a           Unruly youth‘s beer left on display (5,4)
An insipid apology for a beer followed by L(eft) and a word meaning on display

10a         Found to be without connection (9)
Two definitions, the latter being without a connection to a wire attached to a metal plate sunk in the ground – shocking!

11a         Turn to be suspended and be forgotten (2,4)
A two-letter word for a turn or act followed by a verb meaning suspended, maybe from a gallows

13a         It’s a dreadful thing to have (6)
Or put differently, dread of something, usually irrationally

21a         Convict brought back raw material in abundance (6)
Reverse a convict and add some raw material from which valuable constituents may be recovered

29a         Support a railway subsidiary (9)
A verb meaning to support, which originated in boxing and duelling, followed by the A from the clue and R(ailwa)Y

2d           Article’s brought in to invalidate book (6)
The indefinite article inside a verb meaning to invalidate

5d           Inoffensive, lacking power to contain odd one out (15)
An adjective meaning lacking power around (to contain) the odd one out (the one that proves the rule!)

7d           Main HQ? (5,4)
A cryptic definition of a place used as a centre of operations by sailors

16d         One with letters to his name (9)
… on envelopes and postcards

17d         Wanting wingless insect (3)
Just drop WING from WANTING, it’s as simple as that!

22d         Sustained tune to broadcast (6)
The musical notation for sustained is an anagram (broadcast) of TUNE TO

24d         Duck‘s fancy crest hiding egg (6)
A  sea duck with black plumage comes from an anagram (fancy) of CREST around the letter shaped like an egg (another construct I dislike intensely, along with ball)

The Crossword Club is now open. Feel free to leave comments.

The Quick crossword pun: {sink} + {rung} + (eyes} = {synchronise}

1. pommers
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Nice puzzle for a Saturday so thanks to the setter and BD.

Also nice to see the duck making a return, not seen him for a while.

• Hrothgar
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

It, she or he didm’t return for me.
      Hadn’t heard of him, her or it before.

• pommers
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

It turns up every now and then – worth remembering.

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

DT 26115 and DT 26592.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:33 am | Permalink

nor me, never heard of it or if I have I’ve forgotten!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

come to think of it I must have heard of it then, I probably commented on those crosswords that I hadn’t heard of it too!!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

hola pommers, que tal?

2. Hrothgar
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Done and dusted with hesitation here and there.
    Enjoyable.
    Two new words for me.
    Thanks setter and BD

3. Rufus the Dog
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Making good progress but *shame* the duck was a new one on me :)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:12 am | Permalink

Blimey 4 hints, is there a shortage?
    Interesting puzzle that didn’t excite but came together quite well. Not sure about my answer to 11a, doesn’t seem quite right. It’s not a phrase that comes to mind. Also can’t see the short drink in 17a although the answer is obvious unless its a shortening of the French word for a ore-prandial drink ( hope it’s not the naughty corner again for alternate clues

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:15 am | Permalink

More like a shortened version of a measure of beer!

More hints are on their way, but I thought you would rather have four than none.

• Brian
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Thx guv!

• tonyjoe
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

The abbreviation of the British unit of the standard capacity of beer is needed in 17a! Going to enjoy a few later!!!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

Agree re 11a, I would say it means more like Get lost!

• Caravaggio
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Hi Mary! Yes, I’d agree with you but it’s not the sort of expression which I’d use and I don’t think that you’d use it either. I thought that this was a pleasant enough puzzle for a Saturday but there weren’t any “Eureka!” moments and I find that disappointing.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Totally agree Cara :-)

• Brian
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thx Mary I thought that was it but not a phrase I know. How did you get on with the pesky duck and that really odd word in 22d?

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Never heard of 22d Brian but now I think of it somewhere in the back of my mind I have heard of the duck, maybe when we went to Slimbridge last Oct!

• Lord Luvvaduck
            Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

It is a sea duck, Mary, so unlikely to be seen at Slimbridge.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

I didn’t know that LL but it does say on their website that in winter months a few ***** ducks can turn up at any time, so just maybe I did… ;-)

• Patsy Ann
                Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Into the naughty corner at once Mary! You just gave the answer and there’s no cake from cryptic Sue today

Posted January 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Oh no and I tried so hard to stay out sorry Dave! Just as well I’ve just eaten some cake then ;-)

• Lord Luvvaduck
                Posted January 12, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

You never can tell; wouldn’t it be boring if everything did as it is supposed to?

Posted January 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

especially those unmentionable ducks!

• Lord Luvvaduck
                  Posted January 12, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Mary, this was supposed to go in under your 3.44 comment.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Brian Dave puts loads of hints in these days when I started just over 3 years ago there were usually only about half a dozen hints or so on a weekend!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Thank you setter and BD – very enjoyable. Best part of the day over now – obligatory visit to The Reebok this afternoon. I have forgotten what proper football looks like !

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:20 am | Permalink

And you think you are going to see it at The Reebok?

• Collywobbles
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:25 am | Permalink

There are 3 games of rugby this afternoon to Mrs C’s chagrin

• Sweet William
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Come on BD – you know Millwall are famous for their passing game ! Always used to look forward to the Spurs matches – they always came to win and played some great football with scorelines like 3-2 and 2-2. Sad to see our lot just collapse. The local paper still talks about promotion ! The reality is trying to avoid relegation !

6. Collywobbles
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:24 am | Permalink

I’m a bit stuck on 12a. Can anybody help?

Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Not sure if I’m allowed, being so new to this group… But the answer would relate to the last word. Hope I don’t get sent to the naughty step (especially as we might be short on cakes at present). So my apologies in advance if I’ve overstepped the mark. Really appreciated today’s crossword as I actually completed it! Many thanks to BD (& yes, I’m always glad of as many hints as soon as possible to be going on with) as well as to the setter. Hope Pommers is still improving & continuing get well soon messages to CS.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

You’re fine Poppy as long as you don’t give alternative clues or any words or letters in the actual answer :-)

• Prolixic
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Poppy,

Feel free to offer assistance. You can indicate what the definition is and explain how the wordplay works. The only thing we ask is that you don’t give words in the answer or provide alternative clues.

• Collywobbles
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:39 am | Permalink

Thank you for your help Poppy and welcome to the group. I can let you have some cake if you are sent to the naughty corner but I don’t think it is likely

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Collywobbles – especially for the sweetening offer if needed, and for Mary’s & Prolix’s reassurances. And now I see from Prolix’s masterly hint how best to do this!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I’ve been to the naughty corner quite a few times but there are less and less people in there these days :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

I remember feeling really nervous when I first tried to ‘help’ someone!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Oh Mary that’s a real comfort, thanks. And also thanks to your example I worked through the website to find out how to insert an emoticon (I think it’s called?). I’d share a piece of cake with you if ever needed :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Whenever I try to help by the time I’ve figured out how best to do it someone has beaten me – and given a better hint!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Not always Kath, different angles on clues are always useful :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

. . . but only if they’re right!! :smile:

• Prolixic
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:35 am | Permalink

A four letter derogatory word for a journalist goes around a word meaning states or expresses to give a type of bag.

• Collywobbles
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Thanks Prolixic

7. jezza
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:36 am | Permalink

2*/2* for me today. I did like 13a.
    Thanks to setter, and to BD.

8. mary
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Good morning Dave thanks for hints as usual, though didn’t need them today, I found the top half of the puzzle harder than the bottom, didn’t think 10a quite right because you can still be connected even if you are 10a! new word for me at 22d, I wouldn’t have finished this without my usual electronic friends so have to say 3* for me for difficulty but not a crossword I really enjoyed no real favourite clue

9. Only fools
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Enjoyed upper half rather more than lower and made more of a fuss over the NE corner than was justified .Liked 10a,12a,13a,7d and 8d .
    16d is sadly on the RSPB red list -only 52 breeding pairs in UK .

Thanks again

• Only fools
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Sorry 24d

• Sweet William
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

I wondered if your comment for 16d was a shrewd observation of the decline of one form of communication !

I think 24d still breeds in N Scotland, but as you say very few prs. We are going up to Bamburgh for a week in Feb and will no doubt see rafts of a thousand or so floating by on the North sea. I think they must all depart for Scandinavia / N Russia for breeding.

10. Burkey
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Like a few others, never heard of the rascal in 24d. I knew the three checking letters and what the others “must” be, but it just looked wrong. Thought 13A was a terrifc clue. Quite sure I would never have got it without the checking letters. Must confess to fluking the correct answer to 17A as all the letters dropped in from other clues. I wrongly assumed the answer was an abbreviation for aperitif. Oh dear!

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

I thought this was the only abbreviation for aperitif:

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

:-D

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Smile from me too although I haven’t yet mastered the images side of things yet…

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I’ll try :-D

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

well done ;-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Poppy if you go to the top of the page and click on FAQ then the sub heading ‘how do I use emoticons’ all will be revealed :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

A great help, Mary, as I didn’t want to ask. How great is this site! I love the courteousness of the whole thing. (Especial thanks again to BD.)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Yes, great bunch on here Poppy :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Yes – a really great place. I used to be a bit reluctant to ask things but nobody seems to mind. Even if it seems like a dim question no-one ever makes you feel dim!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Yes, I really appreciate that part too especially. And it seems an excellent rule not to allow timings as I think it would otherwise mean someone like me being buried by despair :lol:

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Me too :-(

Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Me too, although I sometimes think that knowing how long the BD’s, CS’s, gazzas etc etc take to do a puzzle couldn’t be discouraging as we all KNOW that they are the real experts and it might just spur us lesser mortals on to greater efforts.

• Sheepdog
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Isn’t that a mass a chew sets?

• Tantalus
          Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Very witty!
          And thanks to BD and all for the hints and banter. The ‘insipid’ hint for 1a does not seem to be a fair description – as a vaguely recall from a couple of doppelbocks last month.
          Rainy and cool in Boston.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

dopplebocks?

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I prefer the real thing rather than the fizzy German stuff.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Ah make of lager?

11. Chris
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:59 am | Permalink

I haven’t lived in the UK for 30 years, so I have trouble at times with the newer expressions. Hence, 1A took longer than it should have to work out.. Same with 11A, for which I needed Mary’s nudge. 22D is a new word for me (solved by trial and error and confirmed by the dictionary). I completed the puzzle, but really didn’t enjoy it that much today.

12. Little Dave
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Busy morning with my son football training and off to see Stevenage v Doncaster Rovers. Just about to start it. See you later.

13. spindrift
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

As usual for me on a Saturday – slow down the first straight then a sprint finish to the line. Thanks to setter and to BD for his hint for 5d – I had the answer but couldn’t work out how I’d got it.

Anybody know how CS is getting on?

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

not heard anything spindrift, sure we’ll get update soon

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed this and thought that most of it was pretty straightforward to begin with – then it all went a bit wrong.
    The fatal error was putting in the wrong answer for 10a which completely screwed up 3 and 5d. Oh dear!! Eventually sorted that out. Then was stupidly slow to get 13a (if I’d thought of rats I’d have got it very quickly :sad:) Also I didn’t know 22d. Did know the duck.
    I liked too many clues to weed out any particular ones.
    With thanks to Mr Ron and BD.
    Very cold and rain with lumps in it in Oxford. Going to have a go at NTSPP after second dog walk.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I haven’t done first dogwalk yet Kath!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Neither have I. But recovering from a bout of Pleurisy gives me the perfect excuse (although I love taking her out). And she’s not doing too well on remembering medicine times but is always keen to bring a chew to enjoy on my lap!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

you and pommers both then although pommers progressed to a serious hospital stay with complications, hope you’re better soon, keep warm and let the dog rest for a while :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Mary – that’ sweet of you.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Lovely picture of Poppy, I’ve never heard of that breed, is she tiny? My brothers dog is Poppy too

Posted January 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

I’ve never heard of that breed either. The only Poppy that I know is an Old English Sheepdog and you wouldn’t want her on your lap!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Just back from my first outing in weeks (apart from hospital – bah!) to see film Quartet. Poppy is a little Affenpinscher, not a breed I’d ever heard of before we got her. Very independent & hard to train, but utterly fascinating & tremendous fun. First dog I’ve had who actually invents games. And when I take her on the tube, she always draws forth smiles :-D

Posted January 13, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Going to see it this week Poppy, is it worth it?

Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

Yes, I think so Mary – although it’s quite a reminder of what lies ahead in terms of ageing. It was a stage play & the filming rather reflects that – a gentle pace (which I like) but rather static at times. Strong cast & well played. And it shows that it’s Dustin Hoffman’s first go at directing. At times he treats the actors almost too carefully & perhaps rather tentatively. A piece of no physical sudden movements. But I found it well worth seeing & do hope you enjoy it.

Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that Poppy

Posted January 12, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

She’s pretty small, Mary – weighs just a few grams over 3 Kg. But with a really, really big personality (I’ve always preferred big dogs in the past – my husband’s wedding present to me was an Irish Wolfhound!) which more than makes up for having to downsize for health reasons :-)

Posted January 13, 2013 at 9:32 am | Permalink

She sounds lovely :-)

15. Posted January 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

Any thoughts re Reverend John Graham http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20997052
    Interesting article in the DT also. Remarkable man.

16. mikef
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Quite enjoyed this one. I got the last two letters of 15d wrong and thus had a problem with 28a until the penny dropped. Doh!

17. konfucius
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Only just got in from cold dog walk……brain frozen and stuck on 15d and 28a. Any help gratefully received

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

28a Pole felt unwell pinned down (6)
      One of the two poles followed by a verb meaning felt unwell

15d Irritated initially about candle I ordered from a certain country (9)
      The initial letter of Irritated and the single-letter Latin abbreviation for about around an anagram (ordered) of CANDLE I.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

In 15d Dave isn’t ‘about’ doing double duty?

• Kingsley
          Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

As a new boy, I am a but diffident about”explaining” anything to an experienced campaigner like you, Mary, but “about” is for the Latin abbreviation and “ordered” is for the anagram.
          I enjoy this website, but usually only “lurk” and do not participate!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

No problem Kingsley and I am a realtive ‘newbie’ to cryptic crosswords of about three and a half years, so not that experienced :-) , the clue is telling us to take the first letter of’ Irritated’ and the Latin abbreviation for ‘abou’t and put them ‘about’ an anagram of ‘candle I’ and is therefor using ‘about’ twice, i.e. doing ‘double duty’, which is often frowned about in crossword circles , hope I’ve not confused you, I’ve confused myself a bit!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

No. “about” gives you the second letter of the answer, then that’s followed by the anagram.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

thanks gazza, I just realised, :oops:

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm | Permalink

Apologies they come before the anagram, I was just looking at the first and last letters with the anagram inside Duh! now I’ve probably confused you too, apologies once more

• Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

My fault – I didn’t read the clue properly!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Not just me then!?

• Kingsley
                  Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Reading the clue from the beginning:
                  “Irritated initially” That’s the “I” as explained by Dave; “About” That’s the Latin abbreviation; “Candle I” – ordered: That’s the anagram. Or am I being stupid?

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

No you are quite correct as I explained above, see how you started off a discussion, so please drop in more often :-)

18. konfucius
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks Dave….think I’ve 28a it now!!!

19. konfucius
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

15d like my dog walk weather

Posted January 12, 2013 at 2:57 pm | Permalink

quite possibly :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

I did finish, with some help from gizmos. Am not sure why 5d, assuming it’s right, as it makes no sense, I just put in what fits. At least I completed the puzzle, compared to last week that’s quite an accomplishment. I like a good workout.

• Heno
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Dave’s hints explains 5d.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

If you take the first two letters and the last 4 as one word with another in the middle does that help to understand it?

Posted January 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

That’s my DUH moment of the day! Funny how long one stares at these things blankly, and then when the penny drops you wonder how you could have missed it. Thanks so much for the help.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter & to Big dave for the hints. I enjoyed this one a lot, and found it quite straightforward until I was 2 letters short in 5d. Just couldn’t think of the word, so resorted to electronic help DOH!

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

I would rarely finish without mine Heno!

22. Franny
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Just back from Oz and still jet-lagged. Very sorry to learn of Pommers’ illness and hope he gets better soon. I found this puzzle hard going, specially for a Saturday, but am probably out of practice. I needed lots of help and was glad of BD’s hints. I did remember the duck, but found 22d rather strange, more used to having it preceded by ‘sos’. Hope that doesn’t put me in the naughty corner. Thanks to the setter and BD,

A very Happy New Year to all! :-)

Posted January 12, 2013 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

Hello Franny. welcome back and Happy New Year to you too :-) , hope you had a great visit and weren’t affected by the fires out there

23. mary
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Off now to toot the flute in church, not done a lot of tooting lately, so a bit rusty! Sorry I don’t have time to go to the naughty corner but I will pray for forgiveness :-)

• Franco
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

Mary, Hope you play all the right notes … in the right order! :grin:

Posted January 13, 2013 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Didn’t do too badly Franco, nice to ‘see’ you, haven’t heard much from you lately

24. rodger gibbs
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Still can’t get 28a, I understand the construction of the clue but a synonym for ‘felt unwell’ escapes me. I have a feeling I may have to wait till a week Monday for the answer then kick myself. The rest of the puzzle was fairly good.

• rodger gibbs
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

got it now, was struggling as last 2 letters of 15d were wrong!

25. Arthur Dent
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

I found this very difficult today. I needed the hints just to get started and LOTS of electronic help to finish it. Mind you – it wasn’t helped by the fact that, at the time I worked out 11a, I had exactly the same two checking letters in the same places of 9a and promptly wrote the answer to 11a in there instead. It made 8d very confusing – I spent a lot of time trying to justify “agreeable” for it! (I didn’t have 19a at that stage). The reason I didn’t have 19a was because I had misspelt 5d at the point where it intersects with 19a and didn’t spot that until the end…

Sigh…

Oh well – finished it now…

Thanks to BD, setter and everyone who helped…

Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

The kind of mistake that makes something impossible which then makes something else impossible etc etc happens to me all the time – so glad I’m not the only one. It’s always good to have some company!! :smile:

26. gnomethang
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Crypticsue update:
    Evening All! I have just called the lady herself. The operation went well and the surgeon was very pleased with the results. Unfortunately Sue is bored out of her not inconsiderable mind as she is being forced to lay face down and not do anything with resulting back discomfiture, puffy-facedness (not in Chambers!) and lack of knowledge of what to do with arms for an extended period of time.
    She did say that she disobeyed the Doc and solved this puzzle one-eyed, no doubt putting most of us to shame with the solving time (I didn’t ask!).
    She misses the crosswords and the blog banter terribly and can’t wait to get back in the saddle but she has to wait another 3 days for the retina bubble to do its thang and dissipate. Apart from that all is well. So there!.
    I’ll give her a buzz Monday (or probably tomorrow as she is really bored!) and give another update.

Posted January 12, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

REALLY pleased to hear that all is OK’ish. I have been thinking about her – please pass that on. I think that enforced not-allowed-to-do-anythingness (also not in BRB – haven’t looked – just assumed) must be absolutely awful. How can anyone help the boredom? If you have any ideas, or if she does, please say so.
      Pass on a big :grin: to her from me next time you speak to her, please. I look forward to her return.
      Can she do crosswords in her head? What I mean is if someone reads the clues and tells her how many letters and what’s already in etc. I know that I can’t but I bet she can! If so, maybe a son or husband or friend could do the reading and the writing . . .

Posted January 13, 2013 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Thanks for that gnomey, please give her my love when you speak to her and all best wishes for speedy return to this blog!

• pommers
      Posted January 13, 2013 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Good luck Sue and best wishes for a speedy recovery. At least when I was limited to 3ft from the hospital bed I could see to do crosswords!

• Lea
        Posted January 13, 2013 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Earlier on I read that you haven’t been well either Pommers – hope your recovery is well on its way now and that you are “back to normal”

• Lea
      Posted January 13, 2013 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Just read my way through the blog and came to this. I hope CS recovers quickly and fully and that she does what the doctors tell her – sometimes they know best!!!!

Send her my best wishes when you talk to her.

BTW Happy New Year to everyone – been very remiss in communicating lately – pick at it at odd times so never seem to be here when anyone else is……..

Posted January 13, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Hello Lea Happy New Year, nice to see you and Franny back :-)

• Lea
          Posted January 13, 2013 at 11:14 am | Permalink

Thanks Mary – life seems to have been a bit hectic lately and there’s not always energy to comment!!!! It’s just pure laziness on my part.

27. Rod Ash
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

One or two interesting words but short work today.

28. Dawn
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

I didn’t start this until the evening and all I can say is thank goodness for BRB Thesaurus otherwise I would still be looking at a blank grid.

Thanks to BD for the hints (which I did not look at straight away) , they came in very handy :-)

Only 8d left to go, got the checking letters but nothing is filtering in, a nudge in the right direction gratefully received. The word I think fits does not make sense with the clue so I suspect it is not the right word.

• Franco
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

8d – The definition is “Pleasant smell ..”

• Dawn
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Thank you Franco, as soon as you gave me the definition I got it and I knew the word I thought of was not right :D

• una
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

please Franco, I need a little bit more help than this !

• Franco
          Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Una,

8d – Definition: Pleasant smell.

Wordplay: a 3 letter word for “cloth” inside a country (close to the UK and fairly close to Eire(?). I don’t understand why the clue says ” … the country”.

Oh! Well! Off to the Naughty Corner! See you all next week-end? Hopefully!

• una
            Posted January 12, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

thanks anyway, got there 1 minute ahead of your what would have been a really useful clue. I think there is little doubt I’ll be pleading for help next saturday.You are a brick !

• una
              Posted January 13, 2013 at 12:33 am | Permalink

Irish people ,abroad, when asked where they come from always answer “Ireland” (eire is only on stamps) except sometimes.. A well known Irish barrister after attending a rugby match in France , and all the usual afters went to a brothel, but unfortunately was unable to avail of the opportunities.His lady friend asked him where he came from. He replied , patriotically “England”.

29. una
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all the assistance so far, last three to solve are 9a, 8d, and 25a. feel like throwing me a few bones please?

• una
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

I can never start before 7 pm saturday

Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Rather nervously I offer the following. 9a you’d need to get a balloon to fly. 8d see Franco’s hint above. And 25a you’d see at Wimbledon. (Hope I’ve not overstepped the mark, BD.) Good luck with the solving, Una.

• una
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

thanks , got those two , I knew it began with something warm but got no further, I always get particularly stupid with last three, psychological I suppose.

• jezza
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

9a – the definition to this clue is ‘boastful talk’. You need another word for ‘randy’, (or passionate), followed by a word meaning ‘broadcast’, as in tv or radio.

• jezza
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Permalink

25a – this is a double definition. The first is ‘Available for use’ and the second definition is ‘during religious ceremony’.

• jezza
      Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

8d – (this) Pleasant smell is constructed from the name of a county containing (in) another word which has the same meaning as (a) ‘cloth’

• una
        Posted January 12, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

I figured that but which country , there are so many of them, I expect I’ll get it eventually.Cancel that I Finally got it now.thanks for all the much needed assistance.

30. Little Dave
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 11:02 am | Permalink

All done. Easiest of the week.

31. Shawn
    Posted January 13, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Our daily has finally bought into the DT crosswords and admit these are much more challenging than the previous batch. Then found this site and admit it does help me finish the crossword. Last clue was 10a and when I finally got it, felt I must have been switched off! Greetings from East London South Africa.

• Posted January 13, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Welcome to the blog Shawn.

Do you get the puzzles at the same time as they are published in the UK?

• Shawn
        Posted January 14, 2013 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

Yes, this one was in Saturday’s paper.