Hints and tips by Gazza

BD Rating – Difficulty **Enjoyment **

If you like loads of anagrams then you’ll probably enjoy this puzzle. Apart from a couple of clues I thought most of it was pretty mechanical with not a lot of spark (and too many blatant anagrams).
Let us know your thoughts. If you need to see an answer you’ll need to drag your cursor through the space between the brackets under the clue.

Across Clues

1a  Get round tip of iceberg? It can’t, sadly (7)
{TITANIC} – an all-in-one to start. An anagram (sadly) of IT CAN’T gets round the first letter (tip) of I(ceberg).

5a  It measures current in the morning and energy used in new term (7)
{AMMETER} – an instrument for measuring electric current comes from an abbreviation for in the morning followed by E(nergy) inserted inside an anagram (new) of TERM.

9a  A politician and artist going round house for a jar (7)
{AMPHORA} – this is a tall jar from classical times. Start with A then add three two-letter abbreviations with the elected politician and the artist bracketing the house.

10a  Talk about Olympic event with son (7)
{DISCUSS} – an Olympic throwing event is followed by S(on).

11a  Sir partied wildly, ignoring start of tooth decay (9)
{DISREPAIR} – an anagram (wildly) of SIR PAR(t)IED without the start of T(ooth) makes a synonym of decay. A rather unwelcome reminder for me that I have to go for some root canal treatment this afternoon.

12a  Worry about Democratic party (5)
{CADRE} – a synonym for worry or anxiety contains D(emocratic) to make a small tightly-knit group of people with common aims, such as a political party.

13a  Sing the praises of former lover set to come back (5)
{EXTOL} – this is a verb meaning to sing the praises of. The informal way of referring to a former lover is followed by the reversal (to come back) of a set or group.

15a  Ford, e.g., parking next to dwelling (9)
{PRESIDENT} – Ford is the definition by example here. You’re meant to think that it’s a car but it’s actually a Republican politician who took over the top job in the US after Nixon was forced to resign. P(arking) is followed by an adjective meaning dwelling.

17a  End of crowd by pitch — are bats extremely low-priced? (4,5)
{DIRT CHEAP} – the end letter of (crow)D is followed by an anagram (bats) of PITCH ARE to make an informal way of saying very low-priced. Can anyone make any sense whatsoever of the surface?

19a  Volunteers set out to get sample (5)
{TASTE} – the abbreviation for our volunteer soldiers is followed by an anagram (out) of SET.

22a  Concentrate on the house in front of me and you (5)
{FOCUS} – a verb meaning to concentrate comes from an abbreviation meaning gratis (on the house) followed by the objective pronoun used for me and you.

23a  Frank attacked applicant (9)
{CANDIDATE} – an applicant is a charade of an adjective meaning frank or forthright and a verb meaning attacked or corroded (like rust).

25a  Sat around horse in this fashion? (7)
{ASTRIDE} – this is a semi-all-in-one. An anagram (around) of SAT is followed by a verb meaning to travel by horse to make one way of sitting on the animal. Chambers does have horse as an intransitive verb meaning to travel on horseback.

26a  At home, tire badly; beginning of afternoon’s lethargy (7)
{INERTIA} – the usual two-letter adverb meaning at home is followed by an anagram (badly) of TIRE and the beginning of A(fternoon).

27a  Working on DPhil — one’s supposedly intelligent (7)
{DOLPHIN} – a mammal which is supposedly intelligent is an anagram (working) of ON DPHIL.

28a  Last text remembered? Not entirely (7)
{EXTREME} – part (not entirely) of the clue is an adjective meaning last or farthest away.

Down Clues

1d  Rubbish shot, finally, by England penalty taker (7)
{TWADDLE} – an informal word for rubbish comes from the final letter of (sho)T followed by the surname of Chris, the England footballer whose main claim to fame was missing a penalty in the World Cup semi-final against Germany in 1990. I’m not sure why this particular one is remembered more than all the other misses by England players in penalty shoot-outs over the years.

2d  Character on television put into print (7)
{TYPESET} – a verb meaning to arrange text for printing is a charade of a character or specimen and the apparatus on which television is viewed.

3d  It’s used for trapping snitch infiltrating ring? On the contrary (5)
{NOOSE} – on the contrary means that instead of snitch infiltrating ring we have to insert the letter that looks like a ring into the facial feature that snitch is a slang term for. The result is something used by trappers.

4d  Parcel pa distributed containing black fruit (4-5)
{CRAB-APPLE} – an anagram (distributed) of PARCEL PA contains B(lack) to make a type of fruit.

5d  Snake’s angrier after losing its head (5)
{ADDER} – a very old chestnut. Just remove the top letter (head) from a comparative meaning angrier to leave a type of snake.

6d  Is stomach upset? One probably enjoys it (9)
{MASOCHIST} – an anagram (upset) of IS STOMACH gives us someone who enjoys suffering.

7d  Roll along as turn right comes up, getting led astray (7)
{TRUNDLE} – this verb means to roll along slowly and heavily. Start with TURN (given to us in the clue) and move the R(ight) up (in a down clue) a bit, then add an anagram (astray) of LED.

8d  Particular esteem (7)
{RESPECT} – double definition, the first a synonym for particular or detail (e.g. the report was accurate in every particular).

14d  Bolt’s fast — thanks to him? (9)
{LOCKSMITH} – bolt is placed first, and so capitalised, in the clue to make you think of the Jamaican sprinter but it’s actually a fastening device and the answer is someone who ensures that such devices are secure (fast).

16d  Used to be thoughtful, dear? (9)
{EXPENSIVE} – a prefix meaning former or used to be is followed by a synonym of thoughtful to make an adjective meaning dear (the opposite of 17a).

17d  Cheat’s fed up with a drug — almost strange (7)
{DEFRAUD} – a verb meaning to cheat or hoax comes from reversing (up, in a down clue) FED and following it with an anagram (strange) of A DRU(g).

18d  Start of Chopin — it’s in authentic concert (7)
{RECITAL} – insert the start letter of C(hopin) and IT inside an adjective meaning authentic or genuine.

20d  Somebody let off alarm (7)
{STARTLE} – a verb meaning to alarm is made up of a ‘somebody’ (i.e. a big name) followed by an anagram (off) of LET.

21d  Raise cheer about beginnings of Enigmatic Variations (7)
{ELEVATE} – a verb to cheer or make someone happy goes round the initial letters of E(nigmatic) V(ariations) to produce a verb to raise.

23d  Conservative list is fair (5)
{CLEAN} – the single-character abbreviation for Conservative is followed by a verb to list or tilt to make an adjective meaning fair (the type of sportsmanlike contest that a referee will ask boxers for).

24d  Clumsy, I knock over writer with front of trolley (5)
{INEPT} – start with I, then add a reversal (knock over) of something you write with and the front letter of T(rolley).

The clues which I liked best today were 15a and 14d. How about you?

Today’s Quickie Pun: {BRAKE} + {THREW} = {BREAKTHROUGH}

Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

It took me a few minutes for the penny to drop on the first three letters of 22a; other than that, it went in without much thought.
    Thanks to setter, and to Gazza.

I solved the toughie without knowing who the setter was, and despite the monotonous theme (which I was oblivious to until I had nearly finished it), I preferred it to this one.

• Heno
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I got the answer to 22a, but I must admit that FOC went right over my head, subtle clue unlike the anagrams.

2. Scrabo
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I agree with your comments Gazza. Easy enough to solve but not too much entertainment today, Maybe I’ll look at Toughie now as another wet afternoon looms.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

The Toughie won’t take you long.

3. pommers
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

This must be the easiest back pager for many a year. 1*/2* from me.

Agree with Gazza’s favs and also liked 1a – but I think I’ve seen it, or something very similar, before. Probably earlier this year on the 100th anniversary of the sinking..

Thanks to setter and Gazza.

Today is a good day to break your Toughie duck!

• Wozza
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

My turn to agree with Pommers today. 1*/2* Not enough challenge at 4am! Also Im not keen on people’s names in cryptic clues especially obscure footballers! They should be left for the general knowledge on a Monday.

4. Franco
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Totally agree with gazza’s assessment of this puzzle.

The picture of the footballer brings to mind the Chambers definition of:-

Mullet: a hairstyle that is short at the front, long at the back, and ridiculous all round.

5. gnomethang
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Ditto the above – not even a one stopper with anagram answers sorted out before I had finished reading the clue. Thanks to the setter and to gazza.

6. Beaver
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:42 am | Permalink

i think a **/** is about right, a bit dull like the weather,i ,like Jezza took a while to’get’ the first 3 letters of 22a, and 25a was a bit dubious, as ‘all in ones’ often are.Not sure what Gazza’s semi all in one means, but thanhs Gazza for the intransative verb bit.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

I enjoyed this one – I know that it was pretty straightforward but my crossword confidence has taken a bit of a bashing over the last few days so this has helped to knock out some of the dents. I agree about 2* for difficulty but would probably give it an extra one for enjoyment.
    I wasn’t too sure about the last three letters of 23a but the hint sorted that out. I also didn’t know the meaning of the first three letters of 22a but looked it up.
    I liked 10, 15, (even though I did think it was about a car to begin with) 22 and 27a and 7, 14 and 20d.
    With thanks to the setter and gazza – good luck at the beastly dentist!
    Had a quick look at the Toughie – done a few and, by process of elimination, have sorted out common factor. It’s quite nice here today so will go back to it later when I’ve done some sorting out in the garden.

• julian of ec4
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I’m with Kath on this one. First Tuesday puzzle solved without any clues for a long time, so vert enjoyable. Perhaps the old grey matter hasn’t totally gone since retirement from EC4 after all. Thanks to setter and gazza ( and to Francofor reminding us of the Mullet definition!

• Silveroak
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Kath and Julian I couldn’t agree more. When I get several in a row that I find difficult, I start to lose my confidence and hard ones become even harder. I am sure we will pay for it Wed and Thur:)

Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

:smile: Wednesdays aren’t usually terribly difficult – at least I don’t think so – having said that tomorrow’s will probably be a stinker!

8. john
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

One of those (rare) puzzles where you can write each answer in as soon as you have read the clue – in other words too easy to be very enjoyable. The Toughie is not much more difficult either.

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

1*/2* for me too. Same favourites as Gazza, thank you to him for the usual excellent service.

The toughie doesn’t take long either, even once you have worked out that MynoT doesn’t know his alphabetical order.

Anyone else think today’s Matt cartoon reminded them of some commenters on the blog!

10. Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Thought this was OK today. Nothing contentious but nothing to get excited about either. Slightly easier than a **/** ( a Desmond I hear you say?) but I won’t quibble. Thanks to all.

11. Senf
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

All the above comments concurred, and I would assess it as */**. Got all but two before lights out last night and they “dropped in” easily this morning before I left home. It’s good to have less of a challenge on a Tuesday, but this was much less. I wonder what we will get tomorrow.

• pommers
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

Probably a real stinker from Jay! Hope not as I’m doing the blog!

• Senf
        Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Be careful what you wish for!

12. MikeT
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Struggled with the anagram for 6d (or did I enjoy struggling with it?) as I was convinced 10a started with ‘re’ and ended with ‘s’, leaving a 4 letter Olympic event – and ‘luge’ didn’t work. Having finally twigged 5d, everything suddenly fell into place. Generally thought this one was a bit easy for a Tuesday.

13. The Buffer
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I agree with the main thrust of comments here; this puzzle didn’t present much of a challenge. Quite an accepable Birthday gift. Thank you Gazza and setter. (I’m not saying how many I’ve clocked up though)! Planned a trip on La’al Ratty today but rained off.

• Heno
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

I’ve been on La’al Ratty, when I’ve been up in Cumbria, it’s much better on a dry day though.Great scenery.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Buffer.

14. Colmce
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

I’m with Kath and the others, been struggling a bit over the last few days so this was a nice confidence booster.

Thanks for the review and to the setter.

So we wait for tomorrows offering, remind me, is Jay the one that we start with the downs.

This puzzle business is getting expensive, had to buy a new cell for my little electric helper. TGF Poundshop.

Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Yes – Jay is the one to start with the down clues – not that I EVER remember until I’ve been through all the across clues and come up with very little!

Posted July 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza for the review and hints. I agree with Gazza, everything seemed too obvious, though while I like anagrams, these were very easy to spot. Nevertheless there were still some clues that I enjoyed. Started with 1a, finished with 21d, Favourites were 25a, 6 & 18d. Nice to see a couple of Olympic clues, as well as a Football clue in 1d. A variation of 20d was in the NTSPP. Dry enough in Central London to do some more painting outside, hooray :-)

16. Colmce
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

17a substitute seats for bats and it makes some sense, was it a typo?

Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

It might make more sense but then there wouldn’t be an anagram indicator. :smile:

17. Grumpy Andrew
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Unusually for me I finished without hints, so I’m not complaining, even though I didn’t understand the first half of 22 and second half of 17, and had to simply assume my 9 was correct, not knowing the word. 16 made me smile. I’d be quite happy for more like this.

18. Hrothgar
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Yes, Wednesday is Monday.
    Perhaps too many anagrams and part anagrams, always the soft option for solvers because you will always get them, sooner or later.
    Last in 1d ,guessed, had forgotten the footballer’s name.
    FOC was a brilliant clue
    Enoyable, though’
    Thanks setter and Gazza.

• Hrothgar
      Posted July 18, 2012 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Tuesday! not Wednesday.
      Get a grip!

19. The Buffer
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Hi Crypticsue. Thank you.

20. BigBoab
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks to the setter and to Gazza, too many anagrams and some woefully bad clues interspersed with a couple of good ones.

21. Annidrum
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

And here was I thinking I’d got my mojo back after being so slow yesterday but everyone else found it easy too. :smile:

22. Cherry Steve
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Agree with others, fairly straightforward, enjoyed football reference, 14d, 22a, and strangely 4d, the pick of the doddle anagrams! Am 100% this week, roll on tmrw.

23. Captain Duff
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

I thought this was one of the easiest for a while but no less enjoyable. Started off with 1a which I thought was a clever anagram and enjoyed others such as 22a, 23a, 1d and 16d. Enjoyed the Olympic clues too. Nice and quick which suited me today. */*** Many thanks to setter and Gazzer.

• pommers
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 7:19 pm | Permalink

Have to say your screen name is very apposite for a comment on a ‘Titanic’ clue :grin:

24. Little Dave
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Enjoyable and fairly tame. Good to finish it. Thanks to the Setter.

25. Bemused
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Pretty straightforward today, though a few had me pondering for a while. I thought 1a was quite clever – gave me a wry grin. Always good when the first clue on the grid goes straight in!

26. andy
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday Buffer, i’m afraid though i’m in 1* 1* territory, i didn’t enjoy either this one or the other one, it’s not rained at all here today so maybe destracted. Cheers all.

• pommers
      Posted July 17, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Not rained here either! E-ducking commencing now :lol:

• gnomethang
        Posted July 17, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Leave It , Pommers, Leave It! ;-)

• pommers
          Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

The weather in the UK had better improve soon as we’ve got the first test against South Africa and the Open Golf starting on Thursday!

Going to bed now so tomorrow’s blog will have to wait until tomorrow/. Actually it’s already tomorow here but the puzzle isn’t there yet. Don’t tempt me!

See y’all in the morning.

• gnomethang
            Posted July 18, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

..and guess which Charlie is working all weekend so can’t watch the cricket or the golf.
            I may have to find an appropriate radio channel but I suspect that Long Wave is not broadcast on T’Internet!

27. pommers
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

Gazza, re 17a

After several hours of on and off cogtation (sad I know but nothing better to do with pommette being in UK) I can’t think of any way to make that clue read well, rubbish surface IMHO. At least the construction works so easy to solve.